Reviews of Imperial Hotel 3 stars

27 Denny Street, Tralee, Ireland

#10 of 13 hotels in Tralee

There was a big downside to our stay. At about 7am both morning there was an extreme amount of noise outside our window! We were at the back of the hotel and it sounded like construction or even maybe a generator but it was extremely load and made for a very poor sleep! Big downside!

Great location. We requested a bath and we were facilitated for that request

As the saying goes you get what you pay for

The bed was too small. It has been many many years since I've seen a bed that small in a hotel room. No air conditioning and if I wanted to have breakfast in my room there was no table to eat it at!

The central location

The staff were brilliant.

we had requested a late check out and i had received confirmation of same. However at 10 in the morning there was a knock on our room door. I did not like the bathroom window being exposed (see comments below). the room was the smallest double room i have ever seen.

The staff were brilliant. The receptionist at check in was very helpful. The room was very small and the bathroom was very tiny. It was net curtains that were on the window in the bathroom, we were in the 3rd floor and i felt if there was someone in the building across the road they would be able to see in.

Break away

Ordered dinner supreme chicken as had this before and didn't have the black pudding as stated on the menu Breakfast we ordered The mini imperial and waited a good 15-20mins for it to arrive toast had come out before the breakfast did ended going cold by the time it arrived Last time was much better service

Comfortable and clean bed

Central Location for a poor stay

Where to start ? - Room 105 (see comment) Apart from the female receptionists, most staff seemed to have little interest in what they were doing. One of the strap-lines of the hotel is 'Served with smiles' - tell the breakfast waitresses and the miserable Night Porter that. I arrived back at 22.45 to find locked doors and the Night Porter inconvenienced by having to let me in. If the hotel has a curfew it should indicate that in its booking information. The bar dominated by a television, really more like a sports bar. People smoke at the door and so the smoke is blown into the bar where people are eating. There was nowhere nice to have an evening meal. The Dining Room seemed to be used only by groups when it could be used for all people, like at at breakfast. At least next time there are other hotels in Tralee.

Eventually the room was fine (Don't take room 105 or any like it - dark, view of bins and with kitchen extractor noise) There was a variety of food available at breakfast - though tinned fruit and stale scones don't suit everyone. The female receptionists were excellent.

A comfortable stay, good breakfast and convenient to the train station and town centre

There is no lift in this property so my elderly mum had to walk up 3 flights of stairs. We had an initial problem, someone else was in our room when we arrived but this was sorted out to our satisfaction and the staff were very keen to make amends. Whilst the rooms were very clean, the floors in some areas are uneven and my brother's bed was on a slant so he didn't sleep well!

The staff were very friendly and the room was bright and clean and my bed was very comfortable

Will definitely be back when I’ve more time rr

Was late arriving . Staff couldn’t do enough for me . Espically the Barman , opened back door , ran to kitchen to order me toasted special and chips . It was the nicest thing I ever ate . As kitchen was just closing if not closed . Reception took me to my room . Very helpful and nice .

Central hotel, but simple equipment and thus, too expensive

Considering this price category, the bathroom was a disappointment. The equipment of the room was simple - nothing special. The selection for breakfast was ok. Considering the conditions, a night in this hotel is a little too expensive.

The location is very good. The city center is next to the hotel. Everything was clean. The staff was very friendly.

Tralee is a beautiful place to stay - great night life and lovely people.

The room we got was the smallest room in a hotel I have ever stayed in, we couldn't pass each other in the room and we are not overweight and the fan in the bathroom was extremely noisy. The Car park was terrible, I would rather park on the street. It was extremely difficult to get into and with space for about 8 cars if you got in you were better leaving the car there and not moving till you leave!

The location was perfect, very central within reach of everything. The food was lovely and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

friendly central beautiful hotel

Beautiful old building central location, great room and bathroom, hot water, bath and shower, best of all the staff, especially Sarah. Great value too. Got its own car park. Wifi

I would stay there again.

The weather!!!! So the hotel couldn't do anything about that.

Sarah on reception was most helpful to us. She gave us detailed directions for somewhere we wanted to to and was very pleasant. It is an old fashioned hotel - which I like. Proper keys not fobs and very central.

First room we were given was very small so we changed rooms,...

First room we were given was very small so we changed rooms, next room was a bit better but went to relax and get away and it was impossible to relax with the noise and the doors didn’t close right and the light was coming in, very old building and no lift, pictures on the internet looks a lot better than they hotel actually is. Staff were nice, helpful and friendly though.

I was pleased when there were Soya mik BUT I couldnt use it...

I was pleased when there were Soya mik BUT I couldnt use it becasue I was VERY disappointed with no provision of Gluten Free Cereals. I didnt bring any myself because I expected there would be some for the Coeliacs ..

The privacy, you could hear through the walls , partying...

The privacy, you could hear through the walls , partying going on till 2 that morning and people playing soccer out the front at half 1 in the morning , The bathroom was very poor , there was a lot of rust and it wasent clean

Despite not having the best night we will be returning to the hotel.

Room far too hot,heating on full all night. Next time will request a room to the back of the hotel due to early morning traffic noise.

Food very good, staff very pleasant and helpful.

Will definately stay in this hotel again.

Not a complaint because the building is quite old, the water in the shower was very slow draining, so after a couple of mins you were up to your ankles in water.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The location was perfect. Food was beautiful.

The staff, bar food and breakfast Menu excellent

Room not over warm Refill of the toilet very noisy The sink very small for shaving. The glass shelf was in the way

The staff were very friendly from the minute we walked in. Restaurant food was excellent

A very handy location to central Tralee and easy to find.

A very handy location to central Tralee and easy to find. Reception and breakfast staff were friendly and helpful. As with a lot of accomodation in Ireland the building interior is old and dated but tidy. But a nice place.

We had a great weekend but rooms could do with re vamp

Bed .. no toiletries .. the tv was very difficult to see as screen all fuzzy.

Breakfast was very good. Staff are fab . But bed uncomfortable with bad mattress. Hairdryer was smoking literally. .. but great location.

Another enjoyable stay at the Imperial Hotel

Not applicable

Room was clean and bed was comfortable. Bathroom was adequate. We enjoyed a meal in the bar one evening and it was absolutely delicious. Staff were very friendly and accommodating.

Comfort and good food on a snowy, cold St. Patrick's weekend in Tralee. Would definitely stay again.

Beds were not very firm, mattresses probably need replacing.

Breakfast was nicest I have had in a long time. Freshly cooked to order, nothing was a problem, staff very pleasant and helpful. This is an old style, warm comfortable hotel in the centre of Tralee, would highly recommend it.

Breakfast wasn't great!

Breakfast wasn't great! Extremely salty. Toast should be served with tea/coffee. Had to ask twice for toast. Rooms where cold and very small. No change of towels. Wet towels where left in bathroom from Friday to Sunday. No extra keys to Rooms! Bar food menu is cheaper at lunch. Extra €5 for a lasagne if u order at or after 5pm.

Had a wonderful stay attheimperial

The tv in room was not great. Reception tv not good and very little channels option

The hotel staff were very helpful. The food was excellent in hotel.The location was spot on,'easy access to all the town of Tralee has to offer'.

Excellent value for money.

Car park a bit small but they had space for us.

The lady at reception was so helpful and friendly . The hotel is cosy and a little quirky. So nice to not stay in a chain hotel that looks like any other chain hotel. Really nice breakfast and a personal touch all the way.

On the outset this looks like a lovely place to stay. As they say "never judge a book by its cover"

Absolutely no consideration for sleeping customers. No control of very loud, drunk "guests"slamming doors and continuously shouting till 4.30am. Not happy.

The property has a vintage quality.

Not a great sleep.

The room was cold and a knocking noice everything someone came through the corridor. It was a windy night and the door banged all through out the night!

The staff was lovely and hotel was central.

Grand for a restful and welcoming overnight stay

I do think the bedrooms need an overhaul .... they are a bit too old fashioned! One other thing - I know it was offseason and Ireland in winter is a bit cold and damp... still it was odd that the dining room smelled damp at breakfast time. Otherwise a lovely restful stay.

The staff were so nice, really appreciated that they were so friendly. Downstairs décor has a traditional charm that appeals especially in winter. Lovely restful overnight and the location is excellent for doing business in downtown Tralee.

Comfy, cosy, great central stay.

TV not a great standard. (plus I was hoping it would have the Irish radio channels on there too) Check out was at 12 (fantastic!) but room was not warm in the morning. It was so toasty the night before that i was disappointed not to have heat while having shower etc. Bathroom slightly small but adequate.

Very comfortable & warm bed and room. only slight drawback in room was that TV did not work very well. Receptionist really nice & helpful (Sarah I think) Even brought me up a jug of water when I queried the drinking water.

This hotel was all about the customer

Hotel heating system had a problem and woke me up several times. However I was compensated without question and receptionist was very understanding.

Staff were extremely helpful and breakfast choice was excellent.

Clean and comfortable hotel, with a genuinely warm welcome!

Genuinely friendly and welcoming staff. Clean and comfortable room. Centrally located in Tralee. Appreciated the strict policy of no smoking anywhere in the hotel -- yeay for clean air!

We had a lovely weekend, weather was great,shopping very good

The car parking very tight for comfort very small you have to be there early to get a place. The TV in the room was up too high and too far away up over a wardrobe very hard to change channels to make connection with remote control

We had a lovely 2 nights stay , we had a little problem with the hot water for our showers once reported it was sorted straight away and it was on a Sunday so well done staff, we would certainly stay there again

Room overlooking noisy street where people from night club...

Room overlooking noisy street where people from night club in adjoining hotel kept us awake most of the night. No hot water to have a shower in the morning. Very poor service.

Staff friendly and very helpful, Good food available both at breakfast time and at dinner time

Both my wife and I happy with our stay Have stayed here many times before

The helpfulness and friendliness of all the staff on duty throughout our stay was second to none Very good selection of cereals at breakfast time Fry was piping hot and very good section (non greasy) Good selection for dinner menu's

ANOTHER CORNER OF IRELAND WELL WORTH A VISIT

NOTHING TO DISLIKE

HOTEL VERY CLEAN AND COMFORTABLE AND LOCATED IN THE CENTRE OF THE TOWN. STAFF VERY HELPFUL AND FRIENDLY AND I CAN DEFINATELY RECOMMEND A STAY HERE.

While staying there the first night I began taking a shower and had to get out get dressed and go down to the front desk because the water stopped. They said they would have it checked out. I returned and it was going. The next night once again I had no water! Very frustrating as it was late and I had to go down to the front desk and ask them about getting water for the shower yet again. After awhile the water started slowly coming out. Having to wait for water is unacceptable.

Really enjoyed it except for the constant buzzing noise right outside our room window.

The air conditioning was right outside our room and so there was a constant buzzing noise which was irritating and you could also hear the church bell go off every hour in the morning, it was very loud and interrupted our sleep. There was no fridge in the room which was some what disappointing. There was only one key provided which was a inconvenience.

The bed was very comfortable. I liked the style of the bathroom. The food was lovely , really enjoyed it!

Great location in the middle of Tralee, lovely and clean hotel

Only a small amount of parking at the rear of the building, which was full so we had trouble finding a park for overnight. No elevator so had to walk luggage up the stairs which was a challenge! Ask for a room away from the road as the street noise woke us up in the middle of the night even though the window was closed.

Excellent location in the middle of Tralee town. Easy to get around. The rooms are very clean, comfortable beds. Wifi is good.

Had a lovely lovely stay at the hotel .

One major downfall . The bedroom was lopsided. So one of the single beds was actually tilted which made for uncomfortable sleeping

Had a lovely lovely stay at the hotel . The staff were very friendly and the breakfast was yummy . The hotel has a lovely homely feel to it .

Central but could be improved.

Room was very small for a twin. Bathroom was small.

Full Irish breakfast was average. Yogurt was dumped in bowls on the self service table, yuck! Staff were very nice. Card machine didn't working on check-in but did on check out, what would happen the other way round I wonder? Very small private car park but plenty of on street parking closeby.

The bed was really small.

The bed was really small. The bathroom is very old it should be done up new tiles etc. We stayed on the 3rd floor and was woken at 3am by two drunk people who couldn't find there key but the sound proof is ridiculous as we thought they were in our room

Imperial service

Could have been Sunday papers available in the lobby

Very warm and helpful staff very comfortable room and an excellent breakfast really good value for money there were a few issues but these were resolved in a speedy and professional manner

The staff were very friendly, especially the bar man who...

The street was loud at night around 3 and 4 as people were heading home. We were at the front of the hotel and it woke us several times. The bed was very squeaky and could do with new ones. Could do with more towels as one of them smelled a bit.

The staff were very friendly, especially the bar man who gave us a map and recommended pubs nearby. The food was nice I had fajitas they were lovely. The room was nice much better than the last time I stayed here. Very very central which is so handy and yhe parking was great!

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

Excellent stay!

Location for shopping or a night out are brilliant. Staff are so friendly, full of smiles willing to do anything for you. Couldn't be happier with how we were treated

Highly recommend this hotel. Staff were amazing each and everyone of them. Olive is a pure Gem.

Very central to the town. Loads of parking outside the hotel. Staff were so friendly couldn't do enough for us . Food was lovely. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are staying in Tralee.

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

We both enjoyed out stay - Staff friendly and helpful - food excellent and good value for momey

We had issue with heating in our bedroom-when it was brought to the attention of staff it was sorted out

Breakfast Excellent Dinner in the evening very good. Good value for money

Good hotel location. Don't use hotel car park.

The car parking is terrible hit my new car whilst coming out of hotel car park extremely narrow and big dip when coming out of entrance.

Close to shops and restaurants room ready on time

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

Will be back!

Breakfast in room request was not picked up outside our door despite been put there at 12am hence had to rush down to breakfast late due to error. Receptionist very apologetic. Enjoyed breakfast anyway.

Spacious bedroom and bathroom. Bed very comfortable. Iron and ironing board in room. Close proximity to everything, pubs, restaurants, shops etc cosy bar.

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

Very convenient venue.

Would have liked the heating to have been on when we arrived (..around 3.30-4pm) as room felt a bit chilly

Very convenient venue.. quiet.. warm and comfortable, great breakfast ( could improve a little on homemade brown bread) Staff excellent...

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

Lovely Hotel, Room for some improvements!

The Room was way too HOT! The rads could't be turned off in the bedrooms or even turned down, I would highly recommend get this fixed or get some Temperature to level the heat in all the rooms. Bathroom window and room window was left open all night due to the heating!! which we could hear people out on the streets shouting and roaring and me and partner didn't get sleep until 4am. The window also was a sliding window which went upwards you had to push it up to get it open. This had no safety precautions in case someone fell out which i did not like, showing that i was on the 2nd floor, a child could easily climb up on this and jump out!!! Not very safe at all, please get this fixed.

This hotel was a lovely place to stay in, Right in the middle of town,close by to everything. Breakfast was lovely and the food in the bar was great too. It was lovely and cosy and the staff were very welcoming to our stay.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

Great bargin

The only things I'd change were the kettle in our room didn't boil and the heat was too much for us in the room also. We couldn't turn it down as there was no thermostat. These are only small things and didn't take from the overall experience.

Food was excellent in the bar. And the breakfast was exactly what you'd need to start your day. The staff were helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

The hotel was very clean and staff were very friendly

The room was very cold. The comfort of the bed was very bad, the bed was like bricks and left me with pains in my back and shoulders

The hotel was very clean and staff were very friendly

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

Great value for money

Location was great but the Walls were very thin so couldn't hear everything, got a room at the front so it was noisy and hard to sleep

Lovely hotel very cosy

Excellent pouple,good hotel,good location

Room was cold and toilet wasn't clean properly,was some stains and hair on the floor,never make photo sorry

Excellent pouple,good hotel,good location

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

The jewel of Tralee town

Checking out!

This hotel never disappoints anytime I stay here.From the moment I checked in to the moment I checked out I was happy with everything.We ate in the restaurant that evening and I have to say the food was delicious.We were on the very top floor so it was nice and quiet. We also had a lovely view of St.John's Church.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

The welcome at reception and friendliness at checkout.

Nothing at the price.

The welcome at reception and friendliness at checkout. Good bar service/friendly and able. Left with a good feeling. Free car park is a bonus.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

The staff were really nice and helpful and so kind and good...

The staff were really nice and helpful and so kind and good conversation !!! Olive thank you so much for being so kind and helpful to us we are the people from the car park I so appreciated your kindness at taking your time to help us even though you were heading off to a wedding of your own family you put us first again a big big THANK YOU 💕💕and d lovely girl Michelle at the front desk such a nice girl💕the night porter a nice gentleman also the food was lovely also I would differently stay at the imperial again 👌💕

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

It was very clean & the food was great

No hot water in the evenings so could only shower in the morning , the room was lovely but no heating on in October, bar man left bar without ever asking did we want another drink

It was very clean & the food was great

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

The staff were lovely, very helpful and friendly.

The windows were old and let street noise in and unclean. I cleaned the TV remote before I used it, lots of grime on it.

The staff were lovely, very helpful and friendly. The checkout time of 12pm is a nice addition. Overall a good hotel in a great location in Tralee, decent sized rooms and a nice atmosphere. Good value for money too!

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

Great place to stay would have liked to have stayed longer

The only downside was the car park

All the staff very friendly and helpful the lads in the bar looked after us really well breakfast was excellent a great choice would definitely stay here again and recommend it to family and friends mr & m&s ODoNNELL leicester England

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

facilities not as advertised

hotel spec. when booking advertised ' satellite TV ' - there was NO satellite TV unless you count one crap news channel ! I had a lot of time to kill during this stay - so this was important to me . I was bored stupid in that room .It was telling lies .

staff very helpful - good attitude

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

Irish smiles shine bright here!

The decor is old fashioned. Soap and shower gel are in a dispenser, no room safe, no herbal teas in room, TV very small high on the wall in the corner of room at an uncomfortable angle from bed making viewing difficult. No lift but not a problem for me and they did offer to take my bags to my room. The radiator came on in the evening making the room uncomfortably hot despite being able to open the window & the control valve could not be adjusted to turn off!!

The staff were so friendly, helpful nothing too much bother for them, real service with a smile! Breakfast delicious and excellent presentation. Evening bar meal fresh, tasty and again great presentation. The hotel is very clean and comfortable and again the staff really surpass themselves with helpfulness. The room was a little 'ramshackle ' with uneven floor and the bathroom flor showing a lot of ageing but I guess it just made it more interesting!! I would definitely stay here again and recommend to friends with the caveats here.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2016

Great hotel in a great location
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Very little parking options

The slope in the bedroom and bathroom floor - this meant it was a geniunely old building with lots of history. Great talking point with the kids!

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

Great staff

Room sizes differ greatly, but the price is the same. . .

Staff went the extra mile to help my daughter when she had an unexpected job interview from Australia. They were kind and patient giving me directions over the phone. They kindly put the blanket inside the duvet cover for my parents, to make them more comfortable in warm weather.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Would stay again at the Imperial if visiting Kerry.

The entrance to the car park was very tight for my car, so parked in the street overnight after first night.

Food was very good. The staff were very friendly. Street parking in Tralee overnight is free from 1830 to 0830. A good base from which to see Kerry.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Not a great weekend

No lift! Our room was on top floor (3rd) and I had a painful arm, my friend is recovering from cancer. Staff carried our bags up and down but we found the 3 flights of stairs up and down very hard going. Also the room was stuffy so the fact that the window was stuck on open was great, except that we then had the noise from the main street going on all night. If booking again (which I doubt) I would ask for a ground floor in advance. Had I known beforehand I would have booked somewhere else.

Food was lovely, staff were very nice, location was very good

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

There was a fair amount of street noise and the carpet in the room was a bit old.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating, the breakfast and location were both quite good

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

Central location but average and over priced accommodation

1. Church bells ringing very regularly on a Sunday. 2. Rooms are somewhat outdated and come across just old rather than old world 3. Overpriced by at least €40 - €50 (Rose of Tralee)

1. Staff 2. Location - very central 3. Bar, restaurant and lobby are old world, clean and comfortable 4. Free car parking (but difficult to access)

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

The staff were friendly and the breakfast was good ish

The bed room was tiny there is a car park but for only about 8 cars so had to park outside on the street

The staff were friendly and the breakfast was good ish

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

Don't book a room at the back of this hotel.

Cooling unit located underneath our bedroom window was making a loud whining noise right through the night.The night staff wheeled out bins of empty bottles at 3am which added to the constant noise of the cooling fans.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

Central location with friendly staff

We were at front of the hotel, which was very loud in mornings with traffic outside

Staff very friendly. Central location. Free car park. Nice bar menu. We got a room on third floor - which we had requested.

Good location and the receptionist was friendly.

Very stuffy room and a lot of noise from the street. Didn't really sleep at all.

Good location and the receptionist was friendly.

Grand stay.

The coffee in the room. No lift.

The location was perfect.

I totally recommend,good value,good location.

room not soundproof

The Room was spotless :),Check out time is 12:00 thats amazing,check out time for other hotels are 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM (:

Overall it was fine

Room very small

Staff so nice and attentive

Room very hot

Staff couldn’t do enough for you very friendly and helpful