Reviews of Inishowen Gateway Hotel 3 stars

Railway Road, Buncrana, Ireland

#12 of 20 hotels in Buncrana

First appearance.
    • Double or Twin Room

First appearance....lovely. very rough round the edges. Got the bridal suite which we were excited about....however very very drab decor. Jacuzzi didn't work. Had dinner in hotel....food was tasteless overcooked and reheated. Fish was out of a bag. Music in bar was good and at.osphere was great. Great location. Hotel needs complete overhaul. Pity

Overnight stay for Irish open
    • Double or Twin Room

The receptionist was very friendly and informative, check in was very quick. Our room was perfect bed comfortable and plenty of towels in bathroom, we really appreciated complimentary bottles of water in room. We stayed on a bed /breakfast bases decided to have dinner that evening. Again staff very friendly very good selection of food which was inexpensive. Breakfast next morning top class lots of variety. This hotel really has got it right. Keep up the good work

excellent

n/a

my husband and i had a great night at your hotel everything was excellent.breakfast was excellent.the entertainment on the sunday night was excellent we had a great time and hope to be back again soon

Absolutely wonderful value-for-money break with accommodation, food, weather and location superb.
    • Double or Twin Room

I happened to mention that it was my husband's birthday and when the waitress brought us our deserts, she and two other staff members , sang 'Happy Birthday' with a candle burning brightly in the apple pie. A really lovely spontaneous gesture.

• Double or Twin Room

The room was seriously in need of a refurbishment. The furniture was old and wooden and only fit for a bonfire. I see other reviews state room was lovely but we didn't get one. The breakfast was the worst I have ever experienced with overcooked bacon which was hard to eat and black pudding which resembles cinders. Black and white pudding was all jumbled up in one container. Dishes were not cleared from table throughout the meal.

Friendly staff. Nice meal in bar. Table quiz and singer.

very disappointed

The noise in room 307 from kitchen fans was horrible i was in Ireland for 2 months it was the worst 2 nights i have had. When i asked the staff what the noise was they knew what room i was in before i told them after my stay i spent some time with relations outside letterkenny they where appalled that visitors from new zealand are treated like that. Very disappointed to be charged so much for poor room

The. Staff and meals

Cleanliness good.
    • Double or Twin Room

Long walk to room, bed uncomfortable and pillows. View from window bad. Breakfast was just ok. Tasteless scrambled eggs. Tasteless black pudding.

Cleanliness good.

Fantastic, relaxing break away. Use the leisure facilities and treat yourself to a spa treatment
    • Double or Twin Room

I had requested a bottle of fizz on ice,as a surprise, to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. The staff went above and beyond and left a hand written congratulations card and a selection of cakes

There was a mix up about payment.
    • Double or Twin Room

There was a mix up about payment.The computer said I owed money but I paid everything when I booked..I checked my bank account to show them ..there seemed to have been problems that day with other people too checking out.

Another great stay at this hotel
    • Double or Twin Room

In summer you get coach parties but I hardly noticed them.The hotel is very good at keeping them separate so the restaurant is not overcrowded

Stayed here many times and the standard is very consistent.Big car park and lovely views. Food in bar is very good as is service

Relaxing and fun-perfect spot to getaway from the busy world
    • Double or Twin Room

The welcome is warm ,food in the restaurant for dinner and breakfast is great-wonderful setting overlooking the water. Have stayed many times and have never been disappointed. Tried the spa this time and thoroughly recommend it.

Rooms where amazing and staff as always very friendly and...
    • Double or Twin Room

Very noisy kids running up and down corridors plus when having dinner the bar was very noisy grown men shouting at tv was not a pleasant experience

Rooms where amazing and staff as always very friendly and helpful beautiful place to stay and great facilities

I loved everything about the hotel, food was fantastic,...
    • Double or Twin Room

I loved everything about the hotel, food was fantastic, staff were so friendly, rooms and hotel was spotless, swimming pool and Jacuzzi was fab. My hubby and I had a ball it was our first time there but certainly won't be our last.

Comfortable, clean accomodation with very friendly and welcoming staff, a joy to experience.
    • Double or Twin Room

Nothing everything was very good.

I was very happy with the continental breakfast choices as I didn't want a big full irish breakfast after a full days eating at a wedding the day before, and I had a great choice of cereals pastries etc.

Lovely all around minus the no air Con- windows that didn't open properly.
    • Double or Twin Room

The heat in our room was frankly unbearable. There was no air conditioning and the windows only opened a slight crack. Sadly this meant we left after a 2 day trip exhausted after not being able to sleep through the night because of the heat. I also had to do my makeup for an event in the lobby toilets as our room was that hot!

Lovely hotel stunning view at breakfast. Breakfast was also delicious. Staff v friendly & good location

Most amazing place to visit
    • Double or Twin Room

There was nothing I didn’t like at all

The staff at the bar and reception were extremely helpful and couldn’t do enough for us. The room had everything we needed. The atmosphere in the bar listening to the live music was really lovely.

On arrival, wee were met by kelly at reception.
    • Double or Twin Room

On arrival, wee were met by kelly at reception..... Who give us the most friendliest welcome , wee had ever received at any hotel, and even give us a free upgrade.... Every hotel should have more people like her , to welcome guests on arrival.......

Clean comfy safe no outside space but accessible to beach and town
    • Double or Twin Room

When we visit the weather was great sunny warm (unseasonaly!) but t he lovely green grass in the picture I thought was the hotels is a fenced off golf course directly behind the hotel - I love a drink outside but the only outside space was an extended smoking area with artificial grass about 20 foot wide corridor and covered with glass windows and fence - when you sat down you can't see anything - this was at the back outside the restaurant downstairs. The bar staff told us there was a garden at the bottom of the car park at the front - wow it was quite a walk through 2 long car parks and so isolated we had our drink finished when we got there so we had to to walk back - beautiful sealed in garden if you want to sit for a while immaculate but high hedge no view of the sea!! But otherwise cannot fault. If you come for a stop over or to stay and use the pool and drive or walk to the beaches and tour around- and come back to a comfy hotel -then perfect safe happy accessible

Room bed bathroom tv etc fab - clean view fabulous from room at back of hotel - facilities great pool and massage etc if you want . bar nice all staff very nice relaxed non fussy feel which I like breakfast wonderful choice and buffet which again I like - really very good

Excellent and the weather was so favourable.

As far as I was concerned I had no dislikes

Breakfast very good bed and room spotless great sausages. Unfortunately we had booked through booking.com which didn't include evening meal.

enjoyable,and good weathet
    • Double or Twin Room

I did not like the fact that i was told my breakfast was not included'on the 3rd day of my stay.(a mistake)

I liked the sea view from hotel bedroom

Lovely relaxing stay, very pleasant staff, great leisure centre
    • Double or Twin Room

The coffee wasn't great & the breakfast choices were limited

leisure centre was clean with great facilities; lounge was spacious and clean & comfortable

Three room changes in an hour. Shabby shabby shabbier.
    • Double or Twin Room

The first room:No view, smelled of smoke, in bad repair, dark with dirty walls. The second room:no view, no flush handle on the toilet: Only realized this After using the toilet. The third room: large, cigarette burns on the window sills, splatter of something beside the toilet base. A huge window looking directly at a concrete wall.

The manager gave us a full refund. The reception desk were helpful.

OK - but won't be back
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

It's been a few years since we last visited the Inishowen Gateway. It has got very dated and tired and needs a good revamp. The kids club has deteriorated severely and is really dingey looking. My kids too one look and said they didn't want to stay. Great to have a hotel with a swimming pool but my 6 year old, who is a relatively new swimmer had to wear armbands (much to his dismay) as the pool is too deep. The kids pool is just a paddling pool. Food was ok - nothing overly fresh. The hotel is very affordable but would prefer to pay a bit more for better quality.

The location is excellent for the golf, beach, play park etc. Staff very friendly.

Cosy and comfy
    • Double or Twin Room

The bathroom was not great also the view in our room was not great and no atmosphere in the bar quite dull. No fridge in room either. Also no shampoo or conditioner provided

Staff were friendly and helpful. Was very clean also

Lovely relaxing break
    • Double or Twin Room

I have no dislikes at all

Everything was good . Quiet at night for good nights sleep,good leisure centre and lovely walks around the beaches,great play area for kids

Location wonderful, staff welcoming and helpful but food was a great letdown.
    • Double or Twin Room

With the curtains closed, the lighting in the room was very dim. God forbid you wanted to read! In the lobby area between the main reception and the ground floor room, the smell was very bad. Smelled like sewage. The breakfast was a huge letdown. As a coeliac who is highly intolerant of gluten, I must take great care when eating out. The girl who welcomed us into the dining room was very helpful and went to get gluten free bread for me. A half bag of Aldi bread appeared. It was put in a basket beside an old rusty toaster. The bread was hard/stale and after numerous times in the toaster, it became much harder and still didn't brown. A half box of Aldi cornflakes was beside the toaster. Once again they were not the freshest as they were open to the elements. These items were at the end of the hot food counter which of course could be open to contamination. All the hot food was poured into the containers without care and looked to have been there since the dining room opened. There was no fresh food brought out while we were there. The bacon which should be gluten free was placed beside the sausages which of course contain gluten. The same utensils were used for all the hot food containers and so the risk of gluten contamination was too great for me and so I could not eat any of it.

The staff were pleasantand friendly and very helpful.

great relaxing break

Not much !

Very friendly staff great entertainment on Tuesday evening ...nice clean and tidy leisure centre with again friendly staff. Already booked again 😊

Meal at wedding was lovely
    • Double or Twin Room

Too costly 160 euro for bed and breakfast for one night ask manager for a customer complaint form and I was told there no complaint procedure in place bit shocking if u ask me not be staying here again

Meal at wedding was lovely Breakfast was good

Exceptional. Staff, food, location, entertainment. Thoroughly enjoyable.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

I’m just disappointed I wasn’t able to use the spa facilities as I’d such a busy time but there was nothing I can say. One of my best trips ever.

The staff were exceptional. Friendly, welcoming and went out of their way to help us, from suggesting tourist attractions to phoning taxis, even having a dance with my friend.

Lovely
    • Double or Twin Room

Rude female bouncer at wedding who wouldn’t believe we were staying in the hotel because we couldn’t remember room number. Breakfast was just okay.

Our room was beautiful

Breakfast was great need to find out next time where they...
    • Double or Twin Room

Staff are Great friendly I have been a few times now justice the place

Breakfast was great need to find out next time where they get their sausages ! They are Great!

The restaurant was great!
    • Double or Twin Room

The restaurant was great! Which came as a surprise as hotel restaurants aren't usually up to much. We booked to come back in June as we were checking out.

Inishowen Gateway. Decent base.
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was poor unless you want a fry up. The pudding was dry and tasteless. No fresh fruit and the continental option was tiny. Very small supply of toiletries given.

Location for Inishowen 100 is good. Facilities are decent for families especially.

The food was good.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The pool was freezing for me, never mind my small kids. The receptionist was very unfriendly and quite rude. The rooms/hotel is very dated, would never stay here again.

The food was good.

Fantastic location, excellent service, family friendly and well worth a visit.
    • Double or Twin Room

There was nothing I would change other than I should of booked extra nights.

I found the staff in the bar restaurant very accommodating for children, the children were made very welcome during the entertainment in the evening.

Very relaxing & comfortable
    • Double or Twin Room

The bedroom was a little bit warm for us .

The hotel was very clean & the staff very helpful & friendly the food was great & a good variety.we would certainly think about staying again.

This place is excellent and the staff was really...
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

This place is excellent and the staff was really professional and friendly. I would definitely recommend as I am going to visit the place again for sure. The location is so beautiful and convenient and there are a lot of places nearby to be explored. Golfing offered as part of the stay is definitely worth it.

an amazing St Patrick's weekend, in a 1st class hotel

no complaints

Great hotel, well appointed bedrooms with comfy beds and crisp white linen, amazing staff throughout the hotel, all areas well maintained, great breakfast, food in bar and dinner in dining room were great also.

Noisy stay
    • Double or Twin Room

Very noisy during the night. Seemed to be alot of people or staff moving about. The same in the spa. Went for a relaxing spa but the noise of trollys or suitcases seemed to be rumbling overhead constantly.

It's friendly and staff are helpful, breakfast is always...
    • Double or Twin Room

We we staying in the first floor and there were 2 or 3 work vans parked right below our window so we were woke from 5.30am with their really loud catch up they seemed to be having, was disappointing as we left and went home @9am

It's friendly and staff are helpful, breakfast is always up to standard

Very enjoyable
    • Double or Twin Room

I didn't like that on booking.com breakfast was not included, if I had booked directly with the hotel I could've had breakfast for the same price

I was there for a wedding, great facilities lovely rooms clean and comfortable

Very poor
    • Double or Twin Room

Maintainence was being done until 8pm then again stared at 09.40 saturday morning. The bathroom is old and dirty looking. Staff could barely crack a smile

The bed was comfy.

Very comfortable, clean hotel.
    • Double or Twin Room

Nothing no complaints at all.

Very comfortable, clean hotel. Staff very friendly and helpful. Food in bar area was gorgeous and breakfasts where amazing!!!

Perfect from start to finish
    • Double or Twin Room

The only thing I didn't like was having to leave

Bed so comfy I didn't want to leave. The staff were so friendly and helpful breakfast overlooking the beach was superb

Excellent value for money and this trip means I will definitely come back
    • Double or Twin Room

i heard caps were required in swimming pool which put me off using it

Excellent breakfast - really comfortable rooms with very comfortable beds - really friendly helpful staff.

Very Poor customer service
    • Double or Twin Room

We planned to stay overnight in the hotel but the heating in the room wasn't working and it was one of the coldest nights of the year. We called to inform the desk staff and was informed that the heating was broke and it is being looked into. That attitude of the staff left a lot to be desired and very poor customer service. Needless to say we left that night and wouldn't be back at this hotel again

Location probably was the only thing we liked about our stay

Relaxed and comfortable
    • Double or Twin Room

Waitress service and reception staff pool and main not very friendly we visit the area regularly to visit family

Beds are comfortable and clean pool is great and food is of good quality

My Parents where treated like royalty
    • Double or Twin Room

Place was amazing, staff went over and above for my mother making her birthday a truly magical and memorable experience that's she still chats about. Excellent service and would highly highly recommend staying, Thank you so much for making this perfect for her

Perfect!!
    • Double or Twin Room

The hotel exceeded our expectations in so may ways but the key aspect was the staff - they are excellent, well trained, polite, helpful and engaging and a true credit to the hotel. Particularly excellent were the comfort of the beds, the lovely Peninsula restaurant and the seaviews. Can't praise this hotel enough!!!

Room was well laid out and clean.
    • Double or Twin Room

One staff member in particular was showing poor customer service as he was using foul language towards my family.

Room was well laid out and clean. Breakfast was excellent as there were a lot to choose from.

Average
    • Double or Twin Room

The smell from the health and fitness suite was potent around the hotel. The smell of chlorine etc on corridors and bedroom wasn't very appealing. The room was £90 for one night and I thought this would of included breakfast but it didn't so do not feel this was value for money. Very long walk to the room.

The room was very clean. Staff were friendly. Bed was spacious and comfy. Kettle in the toom.

The staff was so friendly!
    • Double or Twin Room

The staff was so friendly! The food was amazing! The prices for the food and drink wasn’t overpriced! I would def recommend this hotel to my friends and family!

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Coffee in bar....one of worse I have ever had.., ...breakfast was extremely poor for a hotel of this standing.... no veggie option. no real continental.... poor quality... cheap as. ... even halved the potato scones and puddings.. lol

Would not return.
    • Double or Twin Room

Noise at night . No staff answered phone at night if a medical emergency had of happened it could have been catastrophic. Beds very uncomfortable.

Money taken out straight away. Should have been a holding thing then payment at the time of stay.

Very helpful and friendly staff.

Very helpful and friendly staff. Very quiet for a good night's sleep. Spacious and comfortable room with a bath as well as a shower. The room has very convenient temperature controls. You can leave your luggage in a room in reception when checking out, very convenient if you have to wait for transport.

Amazing stay, amazing staff and fantastic location.

Everything was perfect!

We were here for a ball, it was fantastic, the staff were very attentive and the meal was amazing and certainly didn’t scrimp on portion size. The pub/restaurant was great value for money too and again, portion sizes were ample.

Beautiful location. Friendly staff and an excellent weekend.
    • Double or Twin Room

The temperature was very cool and it didn’t seem to make a difference increasing it ourselves and the spa although was sufficient could do with a little TLC to spruce it up.

We got a family room which was excellent. There were theee girls sharing so was brilliant to have extra space.

I’ll be definitely staying again.
    • Double or Twin Room

The shower wasn’t powerful enough and the tv had a fuzzy picture but they said they would look into that.

The bed was really comfy and I had a view from my window which was exceptional. The rooms were hot enough and I enjoyed the gym, swim, sauna too.

Very pleasant - except for refusal to give me morning paper on the morning I was leaving.

I was surprised and disappointed to be refused a morning paper on the morning I was leaving. When I enquired why, I was told papers were for people who were checking in, not checking out!! This made no sense to me as check in time is after 4pm., and I said so to receptionist. This is the first and only time that I have ever been refused a morning paper in a hotel on the morning of my departure. A disappointing end to what was otherwise a very pleasant and comfortable stay.

Meals excellent. Very comfortable room. Excellent leisure facilities. Very friendly staff

It was OK but I wouldn't go back
    • Double or Twin Room

Bathroom fans filthy. Couldn't find my reservation. Nxt room was unbelievable noisy and smoke from them smoking coming through to our room. Couldn't take a comfortable shower because kept sticking to the curtain. Not enough lighting not the room. No bottled water

Jacuzzi was great room good. Service really good

ok
    • Double or Twin Room

we asked for a family room for 2 adults and 2 children. we had 1 single bed and 1 double bed no settee which you could use has a bed so it was a bit of a squeeze

Lovely hotel excellent staff and super location
    • Double or Twin Room

the only thing was no biscuits in the room but really wasnt a problem

Friendly staff. the hotel was busy but staff were excellent and buffet breakfast was very good. Pool and jacussi were excellent . Will definitely visit again

Loved the views from the restaurant
    • Double or Twin Room

Can’t wait think of anything we didn’t like 😊

Loved the views from the restaurant Although hotel /restaurant was busy, staff were friendly and efficient..

Group stay away
    • Double or Twin Room

Lack of communication between reception and dining room on three separate occasions regarding payment for breakfast and dinner.

Great location with outstanding views

Pleasant as always
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was cold as toaster took three goes to toast...

Staff were excellent, particularly the bar staff who watched to see when my partner needed a Guinness prepared! Very friendly and helpful!!

Very Average

Waiting for dinner 45 mins No coffee with breakfast Room was very tatty and needs refurb Bathroom dirty

Dinner was nice but took 45 mins to come , Breakfast was ok

Beautiful staff and facilities

The rooms was very dated on the ground floor. Even by painting the rooms cream would brighting it up and make it more modern.

The facilities and staff was absolutely amazing. They go over and beyond to make your stay.

Donegal mini break
    • Double or Twin Room

Hotel somehow got my name wrong on the card when my daughter phoned and arranged drinks to be left in room for us on arrival, also lost half a nights sleep when fire alarm went off waking us out of our sleep,which left us a bit jadded the next day.

Hotel was clean and tidy and situated near Golf course and was ideal for anyone wishing to use it for a golfing break or to visit other nearby sights, or to explore further afield up the wild atlantic way, would recommend to others thinking of staying here.

All the staff provided first class service.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Buncrana is a quiet town with little to see or do, but provides an excellent base to explore the innishowen area.

All the staff provided first class service. The children's play area is also a fantastic facility. The scenery & nearby beach is truly amazing.

Great spot highly recommend.
    • Double or Twin Room

The atmosphere was very warm and friendly which made us feel very comfortable. The pool facilities were excellent and the Jacuzzi was do nice and hot after a long day touring around.

The location and the views out over the pier and the bay were just beautiful.

Cosy enough...definitely not luxurious

Decor wasn't great. .

Ceiling height very high in room with little windows around the top of the walls which was a nice feature. However, the decor in the room was extremely dated. Terracotta walls, floral curtains, really didn't like tiles in bathroom floor . .dated. on a hole, didn't feel luxurious night away. Staff were nice and attentive at breakfast, nice dining area.

I'd willingly stay there again.
    • Double or Twin Room

The food was tasty but quite run of the mill. There was not a lot of room in the shower and I hate the shower-curtain that billows in when you are having your shower.

The bed was firm but not hard. I liked the view.

Hotel very basic standard
    • Double or Twin Room

Hotel itself was ok and staff were friendly. Room was run down. We were promised a sea view but instead our view was ground level looking at a hedge. I feel because of the lovely area, the hotel lacks the standard of their hotel rooms. Stains on table in room, paint coming off walls.

Wedding reception was excellent but guestrooms not good!
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The bathroom in our bedroom was absolutely disgusting,there was something very foul looking on the tiles beside the bath/shower that almost made me sick ( I have a photo of it if you want evidence) One thing I detest is a dirty bathroom.

Its a pleasant hotel, lovely staffs, beautiful views.
    • Double or Twin Room

The soup was very watery. You weren't given very much veg. No complimentary biscuits in the room for tea.

The room the wedding reception was in was decorated beautifully!