Reviews of Kees Hotel and Leisure Club 3 stars

Main Street, . Stranorlar, Ireland

#2 of 2 hotels in Stranorlar

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

Fantastic Hotel.

Fantastic Hotel. One of my Favourite places to stay in East Donegal great location for my work. . The Staff are very nice and friendly. The rooms are brilliant and very cosy ☺ the food is delicious ☺☺☺.Highly recommended to anyone visiting Stranorlar .

Dinner was really good, exactly what I asked for, the way I...

The shower wasn't great but we told the staff and they said they would get it sorted asap.

Dinner was really good, exactly what I asked for, the way I asked for!

It is a beautiful hotel.

It is a beautiful hotel. One of the nicest that i have stayed in.the food was delirious. The rooms were beautiful and with the Amazing history about the Hotel. I am looking forward to staying there again in the future

Definitely exceeded my expectations.

They forgot to bring me coffee at breakfast the next morning, but when I reminded them they got it right away.

My room was really cheap so I wasn't expecting much but when I got there it was beautiful. There was a massive bed, a separate sitting area, it was like a mini suite. Breakfast the next morning had really delicious eggs. The interior of the hotel was way grander than I was expecting. Also the back of the breakfast menu includes a list of things to do locally.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

Waterproof mattress covers on the bed. My 1st nights sleep was very uncomfortable until I discovered what was annoying me. Haven’t needed one of those since I was 2 years old lol. It wouldn’t put me off going back though. I’d just take it off. Also I was given the wrong leaflet about the leisure facilities and missed 3 days of using the pool, steam room, etc.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Short stay in Kees Hotel 😁

Spent to lovely nights in hotel. The room was so quiet and very comfortable. Staff very helpful and friendly. Food was excellent. We were able to really relax in our surroundings. Facilities are very good, swimming pool ,sauna gym and steam room. Looking forward to coming back im the future

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

It seemed to us that they where busywith bus tours and this was room that did not really matter

The wash hand basin was cracked as was the one in room of the bathroomthere was a hole in bathroom floor

The room was spotless but furniture could have been more modern

Staff are lovely and food is great quality.

Bed was very uncomfortable. Three of us traveled and not one of us slept.

Staff are lovely and food is great quality. The hotel is kept well and is clean.

Nice pool that seemed to be very seldom used.
    • Family Room

The decor is very dated throughout the hotel and the whole place would really benefit from a refurb.

Nice pool that seemed to be very seldom used. Good barfood menu and a nice hotel bar to enjoy a drink.

Small and comfortable Hotel.

Nice small amd comfortable hotel. Was quiet expensive for the what it offers but seemed to be a lot on and a bank holiday weekend probably drove up prices.

Only a very short flying visit but location was good with plenty of parking out the back.

Very expensive, below par room

Room was old and tired, bathroom was damp with unclean grout around the tiles. There was no view out of the room, TV was small. The shower was totally unfit for purpose with little water coming from it. Definitely one of the worst rooms we have stayed in around the world and one of the most over priced.

The location was useful

Have stayed at this hotel previously and no hesitation in returning.

Room fronted onto main road but one became accustomed to traffic noise which was not that intrusive to spoil our stay.

Good size room with easy chairs. Beds very comfortable. Plenty of hanging and storage space.

I liked the family pictures of the hotels owners and the...

I thought that the decor was a little tired in places

I liked the family pictures of the hotels owners and the idea that the property has been a family business for generations

Very nice place, good staff good food

Room was very old and small, the door from the hallway has a massive gap so the light got through in more than a small line.

Staff were nice, outside looked great and carpark was handy.

Terrible

Staff didn't explain hotel .didn't have a clue were to go.Bar staff service very very poor they were more interested on the football on the TV

overall good but I would suggest a customer service course for some staff members

When we first arrived and paid the receptionist all was well, until 10 minutes later the telephone in our room rang, it was the receptionist to say she had undercharged us by €100 and would need to take this form our card. We checked our online banking to find we had in fact been charged the full rate so were being asked to pay €100. this was rectified. Most of the staff were very friendly but we had an issue with one member who informed us, after we had waited 20 minutes to be approached, that we could not order our meal at 10 past 8 on a Saturday evening as they finish serving at 8pm. We had been seated at 7.45pm and nobody came near us to take our order, when I stated this we were told we could pay for our drinks and go somewhere else if we wished... customer service needs a serious shake up.

Very comfortable, clean property. Ideal location. Beautiful surroundings. Bar food was very tasty.

Quite a comfortable stay for an overnight visit apart from the aspects mentioned.

Hard to carry our luggage up the back stairs to third floor. The room was very stuffy at night but the window was locked with no key.

Food was tasty & staff very helpful.

The location is perfect 10 mins to the town centre.

I didn't like our stay here at all, the room was very drabby, everything in this hotel feels so old, the bathroom was a nice size the shower looked ancient it was ok though, the toilet paper was situated far away from toilet, the room felt dark even though the sum was shining, the bed was a very small double, very uncomfortable, the room was far to warm, no controls in room to adjust heat, had the worse night sleep, we were room only so didn't sample food or bar.

The staff were lovely.

Room was quite small but as we were only staying one night and attending a wedding, it didn't really matter.

The staff were lovely. There's beautiful outside areas and seating and the breakfast was fabulous!!

Good value for money

I would have liked to use the pool but the opening times (not open before 3PM?) didn't suit.

The staff were all very professional and attentive. The breakfast selection was one of the best I had. I enjoyed two delicious dinners in the bar (the chicken and bacon linguini is probably the tastiest pasta dish I've eaten, and the chocolate brownie sundae is the ultimate indulgence for chocoholics) and the service was perfect, too. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean. Extra marks for how fast the bath tub filled so I could relax after a day spent driving in the county visiting Donegal's truly remarkable sights.

The staff were great.

The decor is very dated. The bed was very hard and the room was way too hot. I tried to turn down the heat with the radiator value but it seemed to be either fully on or fully off.

The staff were great. Couldn't have been more helpful

Warm, friendly and comfortable. Would easily stay again.

A bit of updating in the room would be good. Although there is some renovation going on at the moment in some of the rooms.

The location was good for my needs, and the staff were all friendly and polite. Special thanks for supplying something to eat by the barman as I was late arriving.

I would never book here again to stay the photos on booking.com looked great but failed expectations

The decor was very dated

For the money that was paid for the stay which was 119 Euro breakfast or nothing was included but my friends booked on the same day and got dinner breakfast and a overnight stay for 109 Euro which I found was unfair

BRILLIANT HOTEL Five star

Nothing just great

Everything. staff brilliant food brilliant they made us so welcome as we walked in the door. Breakfast and evening meal fantastic. Sitting in Harry's bar with a log fire was great on a cold icey night.staff and management give us an anniversary card and desserts.Cant wait till we go back i have been too the kees 3 or 4 times now a five star hotel. Thank you management and staff.

Exactly what we had hoped for.

The bar was very cosy, comfortable chairs real fire, good selection of drinks and excellent bar menu. But what really makes the hotel are the staff whatever their role.

Kees is the place to stay in Stranorlar

As always, we received a friendly, professional welcome here. The hotel has plenty of character, and the rear facing rooms, which I hadn't stayed in before, were massive, with nice views over the mountains.

Loved my stay would like to return staff very helpful and friendly

Didn't like that children where allowed to run about everywhere chasing each other through the bar came to get a break should be some adult only time

I liked everything about it nice big rooms nice food good bar

Great stay and would stay again.

Little noisy at night due to other guests so not the hotels fault.

The property was lovely, and the staff are very friendly, the food was nice and nice atmosphere.

just ok !

feel cold and not too inviting, entrance not very clear and far from the car park, car park not clearly marked. not much light around the back off the hotel in the car park area.

clean bathroom.

Hotel, staff, food and service wonderful.

The television. Found it difficult to decipher. Screen very small. Could not read the print from the bed, had to sit on the end to make out the instructions. However, this did not deter too much from our enjoyment of the hotel. Loved all the lovely seating accommodation and the little nooks and crannies in the building.

Hotel, staff, food and service wonderful.

Very pleasant

Our rooms were to the front of the hotel onto the main street, it was quite noisy, maybe an upgrade to the windows are in order.

It was a lovely quaint hotel with lots of cozy corners, the food was excellent and the staff were really friendly and helpful

Excellent form the staff to the rooms and the first class breakfast couldn't fault anything

Really good spot over all would definitely recommend the room was really comfortable and cosy the staff were very welcoming and attentive and the selection at breakfast was excellent hopefully get back again soon

Bacon & eggs both with flavour, enjoyed breakfast

Bedroom was quite a walk from reception, room 303. Overnight my husband did sleep fairly well, unfortunately I was awake until 3am, slept until 5.30 disturbed due to a fan droning on all night. I think it came from direction of room 301, difficult to pinpoint. Needless to say I went down to breakfast exhausted. I reported noise at reception and was thanked for information.

Bacon & eggs both with flavour, enjoyed breakfast

Enjoyed our stay very much

Would like white table cloths on restaurant tables to make evening meal more special.

Very enjoyable stay - staff very friendly - food fantastic - room very comfortable - will be back would like to know of special offers.

I could have stayed on but shall return Sept/ Oct. WELL DONE , KEES

Neither of my 2 bedside lamps worked , but this was rectified when I made it known.

I was really very satisfied-- just a few things-- being on my own , I would have liked if my room , which was lovely, had been more central No 306 but when I return , I shall request this. I loved the breakfast esp the creamy porridge with accompanying honey, brown sugar and cream. I love the homeliness and warmth of the ground floor decor esp in the spacious dining room.

Great place to go really friendly and very welcoming 😊

I liked all a

The staff was extremely friendly and understanding.I would recommend to all family and friends. it patched up my relationship. thank you 😊

Quiet and relaxing

Swimming area,changing facilities, steam room,sauna(out of order) and jacuzzi (cold) in need of a major upgrade to bring it up to todays standards,this was the reason i booked the Kees hotel, so was left disappointed

Staff were great, friendly, and helpful, bar and restaurant were very good, great breakfast, generally nice hotel

Short break

Hotel was spot on bar my car being damaged in the car park someone broke my wing mirror and dented the car body but this isn't the hotels fault as it can't help who goes through the car park at night.

The staff in this hotel were really friendly the hotel itself was lovely our room was clean and modern and the breakfast was delish.

The bed in room 214 has a wooden bar at the end of the bed...

The bed in room 214 has a wooden bar at the end of the bed which obscures the view to the tv. The bed in that room is also creaking. Bathroom was tired and the shower wasn't good.

Great hotel, loved McElHinneys the department store nearby.

The hotel was full of character, everyone was friendly and helpful at the hotel. The carvery on Sunday afternoon was first class. Both in quality and quantity and variety of the food available.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

All the facilities were very good breakfast was good and we...

We booked early and better price seemed available closer to the date we stayed. Service of bar staff was slow and at times very slow

All the facilities were very good breakfast was good and we were happy with that.

Comfortable stay apart from the issues with the bathroom

Both wash hand basins had cracks in them also the tops of the taps on the hot side were missing also the bath itself was waiting to be re- enamelled

We booked a double room but we wer'e given a family room as we wanted a shower screen as opposed to a shower curtain , the room itself was large and well fitted out

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Able to accommodate my dietary requirements for dinner with...

Hallways and rooms could do with a refurb as they are a little tired.

Able to accommodate my dietary requirements for dinner with no fuss Hotel had a nice atmosphere and had lovely staff at reception

Amazing

We travelled to this hotel for our cousins wedding from the moment we arrived we just feel in love with the place, the hotel was amazing to the front bar and the rooms were so spacious and the bed was so big that it was like been in heaven. The breakfast in the morning was amazing and I just couldn't recommend this hotel enough to anyone

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Lovely stay

Road noise as we were in a room at front of property but that can't be helped

Lovely friendly staff. We were there for a wedding. Room spotlessly clean and very comfortable

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Do not be fooled by the pretty internet pictures

Tired decor, noisy music and patrons were badly behaved. The staff were pleasant enough but need more training. The hotel is well past its best and needs serious cleaning and updating. The breakfast was lovely and the bar food was good. Restaurant food totally disappointing. Frozen, packet veg in an A la Carte restaurant!!! Like being transported back to the 80's! Overall very disappointing experience. I will not be back and would NEVER recommend it to anyone.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

Very comfortable and good value for money

Sent food back three times during evening meal because it was cold and I had to ask for discount at payment.....no genuine signs of apology given

Brekfast staff very friendly ( Lynne )

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

pleasant and convenient to town centre

The bathroom was quite dated, the bath tub had a grab rail missing, there was an over bath shower. Did not have a ' Do not Disturb' notice for the bedroom door so cleaner knocked and opened the door before realising someone still in the room.

Very friendly and helpful reception and bar staff. Gluten free options for foods in restaurant and bar but be advised to inform staff prior to arrival that you are gluten free to allow for gluten free breakfast items, eg porridge, sausages. The bed was quite firm but comfortable. Asked for a quiet room so was given a room at back of hotel which was very peaceful but suspect that it was an older style room, quite basic but it was fine for a one night stay. The hotel is on the main street so rooms at front may be noisy. Big car park at back of hotel.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

Very good but expensive

Difficult with wheelchair fro car park to hotel entrance, could not have managed without my wife. Menu and food very good but expensive, €6 for a glass of wine is OTT.

Very friendly and helpful staff, excellent room for a wheelchair user, me, hotel comfortable..

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

Old style charm

Getting out of the car park is painful but that's a very small gripe.

I love the relaxed atmosphere and old style comfort of Kees. Have stayed in other hotels nearby but enjoy Kees the best. Staff pleasant, helpful . Can't wait for my next trip!

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

Ok for a short stay

Bed could be more comfortable

Food & service were excellent. The room was clean but needs updated decor & the bed was very hard. Leisure facilities were clean but utilitarian a bit like an old style public leisure centre. Very small gym, no lockers in the changing rooms but it was a reasonably cheap hotel so overall a good stay

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Average and comfortable

My room was very cold. Had to ask for heat to be turned on. No telephone in room and the room was very dated

Reception area was lovely and the bar. Cosy and warm

• Reviewed: 25 November 2016

Good hotel would go back.

The double bed wasnt comfy. It was lumpy and hard. There was no halloween entertainment for kids?

The breakfast and dinner was lovely. Reception was very welcoming. Swimming pool sauna and jacuzzi was great.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

I had expected my breakfast to be included in the price...

I had expected my breakfast to be included in the price instead we had to pay separately and it wasn't very good it was cold and wasn't replaced wen empty..

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

A quaint hotel that requires some changes

The room was on the third floor far removed from reception. On arrival the receptionist was not very welcoming, it was an effort for her to produce the documentation. Directions to room were very poor considering the distance from reception and no offer was made to assist with luggage until I came and asked. The greeting of guests definitely needs to be looked at. The hotel seemed to be run by a group of young girls who were very pleasant. The cooked breakfast was lukewarm. The lounge bar was very pleasant and the young man serving at the bar was very efficient. Overall I was disappointed as I had been to this hotel before and found it excellent.

Enjoyed the gym and pool facilities

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

Great hotel - best in the twin towns

It's always a minus point to me if breakfast isn't cooked to order - particularly when it's costing extra on top of the room rate. That said, the buffet breakfast was very nice so not too big of a minus really.

Good comfortable quiet room. Well equipped en suite.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Helpful and friendly staff, nice room, nice location.

Could have included breakfast for the price paid for the room. Breakfast was an extra 9.50 euros.

Helpful and friendly staff, nice room, nice location.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Sorry, I do not wish to be quoted, so I wont reply to this.

Sorry, I do not wish to be quoted, so I wont reply to this.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Great location, wonderful staff and food quality.

Cannot think of anything.

Great location, wonderful staff and food quality. Easy parking and great bar too.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

All

All

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Beautiful people to stay with .

To have the time to stay longer.

Excellent value quiet and relaxing . Will use again .

Everythin

No complaints

Everythin

A relaxing,enjoyable

For breakfast I would have loved some soda bread and potato bread! Part of the the good old Irish Breakfast!

I loved taking a swim in the pool!

satisfied

friendliness of staff.

Great food.

Some noise from road below room which started early

Great food.great room

very friendly place.

bar atmosphere with open fire and music.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Staff great good location and value for money.

Dated and needs some TLC.

Staff great good location and value for money.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Everything about the hotel from the minute we arrived,...

There was nothing I didn't like

Everything about the hotel from the minute we arrived, really enjoyed our stay,very cosy hotel

Could do with updating

The leisure facilities were poor.

The breakfast was tasty and plentiful.

Food was good .

First time we hadto pay for breakfast on bed and breakfast break witch added 38 pounds to bill

Food was good .Enjoyed music each evening

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Every thing I expected from previous visits

Very good everwhere

Needs modernised

Style

Needs modernised

Friendly helpful staff, lovely meals.

Showers in pool changing need updating

Friendly helpful staff, lovely meals.

Staff were friendly

Breakfast being included in the price

We had a bar meal the food was lovely

Everything about this hotel was very satisfactory,would highly recommend it

Very comfortable bed,tea making facilities