Reviews of Kilford Arms 3 stars

John Street, . Kilkenny, Ireland

#31 of 51 hotels in Kilkenny

Nice and clean hotel, with parking and a couple of good pubs just downstairs. Walking distance to town centre and Kilkenny Castle. Staff were very helpful and accommodating.

The room was obviously a family room with 4 beds in a row and looked ones like a boy’s dormitory! No pictures cushions or anything decorative - very sparse. Black mound in various parts of the bathroom and the hand soap/ shower gel had a disgusting smell. The web site stated that the reception wasn’t manned 24 hours so when I was disturbed at 3.40am in the morning by a group of noisy drunken Irish men, I didn’t phone reception. I did tell staff when I checked out about the incident but was not given an apology so left it at that. This is one hotel I will not be recommending!!

Comfortable beds and that’s all the positives I found!

Arrived during a Bank holiday so it gets quite noisy at the pubs (courtyards) which nearly every hotel has one. Be aware. Fun though if you're able to stay up that late. Friday and Saturday until 4am. Sunday 2am. 😁

Location. Close to town center.

I really like the kilford arms can't fault the hotel everything one thing I do like is the sound from the pub next door but that can't be helped

Pretty much everything staff are very polite and helpful .. the room was very comfortable cozy and spotless I love the location as its very Central and close to everything I will definitely be staying again soon

• Double Room - Advance Purchase

Bathroom could have been cleaner. Requested extra large bed - it wasn’t. Poor ventilation on a hot day.

Great location and decent sized room. Friendly and helpful staff. Good breakfast

• Triple Room - Advance Purchase

everything was great even the weather

if you want a place to stay where everything is within easy reach then look no further than the kilford arms. Very lively in the evening but that was what we wanted.

Room was run down and very small, in particular the bathroom was tiny. The iron or the hair dryer didn't work. The iron was frustrating as I was staying for work.

Staff friendly and quick check in. Free car parking and good location

A lot of noice from neighbouring room gave next to no sleep. Staff could have been accommodating when we informed during the night and the next morning.

• Double Room - Advance Purchase

Small room and bathroom layout toilet right beside door and toilet roll holder stuck in your face if you had to use toilet you have to angle in so as to not injure yourself

All you can eat breakfast with good choices

• Family Room

That they were booked so we could not stay a second night :(

Staff was overly accommodating- even giving us a second room no charge when we found one bed to be inadequate. So friendly. And the pub and music that night was over the top!

• Double Room - Advance Purchase

The brakefast was horrible i couldnt even eat it all dryed up and plate full of grease we left the brakefasts and only ate the toast .. shower in our room wouldnt turn on for ages and when i finally managed to turn it on it was cold..

😖😖😖👎👎👎👎

• Double Room - Advance Purchase

We were put over the beer garden and couldn’t sleep until everyone left around 1-2am!

Great deals at the resturaunt, cute homey rooms, friendly staff, amazing location.

the bed was extremely comfortable and the room was very clean and spacious room was also nice and warm the staff are very helpful the food is amazing from the restaurant will definitely be staying in the kilford arms hotel again

• Double Room - Advance Purchase

I couldn't fault anyone or facilities just really good team in hotel and even owner very much hands on was helpful and good fun

Breakfast really good lots of fruits and melons really tasty ,coffee lovely and rooms very clean and quiet perfect for solo traveller or families.I would recommend to all as base for Kilkenny its close to everything with safe free car park at rear of hotel also.Bar lively and good staff. Ladies at reception very helpful and all staff in bar restaurant made our family stay just perfect.

• Twin Room - Advance Purchase

They made us smoke in doors wouldn't allow us to leave the building past midnight . Felt like we were treated as children . Also no concideration my friend slipped on a spilled drink and hurt her leg and the manager straight away said it was because of her slippers and didn't even acknowledge the wet floor or how hurt she was but was more concerned about no one opening the door for the smoking area!

The pillows weren't too comfortable and the rooms weren't too soundproof.

The location, staff and facilities were excellent. Would highly recommend staying here for a large group.

• Family Room - Advance Purchase

The room was very warm and even when we turned off the radiators it didn't go off or cool down at all.. was very stuffy with 5 people in the room

The room was very fit for purpose and the food in the hotel bar was gorgeous

• Double Room - Advance Purchase

The rooms were clean and spacious, the location was perfect, free parking for guests, the staff were friendly and the breakfast the next morning was great!

On check-in they gave us the wrong room. There was somebody else’s belongings in the room but the person wasn’t there. Big security issue here. It was rectified quickly but never should have happened. Also the iron in the room, although set to the lowest heat setting, burned my daughter’s dress which she was wearing to a wedding, because it was way too hot. The hotel did compensate her but she had to wear a dress with a big hole in the middle of it to her uncle’s wedding.

Nice room, bar & breakfast. Staff very helpful. The room was very comfortable.

• Double Room - Advance Purchase

Breakfast was advertised from 7 am. However, we had to wait until 7.30 for our fry, and we couldn't enjoy it as we were rushing for the train. Also, the breakfast room was freezing cold in the early morning in contrast to the warm bedroom.

It got too hot in the room in the middle of the night and we were unable to lower it. We opened a window!

Location excellent, close to everything in town. Rooms comfortable and clean. Three different pubs onsite and covered smoking area. Were able to accomodate and early check in request. good shopping, restaurants and sights in easy walking distance. Verry nice.

Noise from Nightclub and other residents. Came up to the room at about 12 to go to bed but could hear the music from the club. No staff were in reception at night,. The room was very very hot, even after turning off the heating and opening the window. The shower was cold the next morning.

Location was good, bang in the center of the town. Carpark was large and had plenty of spaces. The bed was comfortable.

• Double Room - Advance Purchase

Was refused entry at night time when my partner had gone to bed feeling unwell and had the key card with her. Both night porters were extremely rude and refused to understand the situation

• Double Room - Advance Purchase

Our room was positioned adjacent to a lane where another pub was located. This was extremely noisy and there seemed to be people coming and going fro the premises and (Shouting/Fighting/Arguing) in its beer garden up until about 7 am. I know the hotel cant do anything about this. Also, the fire alarm went off twice during the night which was strange.

The hotel stay was overall very good. The staff at reception were extremely friendly and booking in was pleasant. The room was very comfortable, it had a comfortable bed, tv, nice ensuite and tea/coffee facilities. There were a safe box and ironing facilities also.The hotel is positioned a short walk to lots of pubs and restaurants (no need for a taxi anywhere). The hotel is located close to a large shopping center and a small walk to Kilkenny tourist attractions; perfect for an early walk the next morning to clear the head.

• Twin Room - Advance Purchase

The rooms were very cramped. They were extremely warm with the heating on near constantly. The window didn't open which is a health and safety issue. No form of air con or temppreture control on the rooms. The door staff were a little rude as were told at 10:30pm that we couldn't bring food from a local diner back upstairs to our rooms.

It was close to all the amenities

Bar staff not friendly firs we meet friends down town the would not let them in so we went to there hotel and when we got back at 3.35 the said bar closed it was there fault we left and €100 was a lot with no breakfast for one person

Perfect location food very good

All staff were very welcoming and friendly apart from a couple of bar staff who I found quite rude and cranky. I know it's a difficult job at this time of year but It was a bit unsettling. Won't put me off returning next year though!

My room in particular was an upgrade on all the times I've stayed over the past 7/8 years. Very comfortable. There's nothing like a nice shower either!

• Double Room - Advance Purchase

The window in the room was very small.

Everything. Stayed there twice now. Staff are lovely. Delicious food served and great bar. Centrally located. Will continue to go back to the kilford arms. Love it!!!

In the bar I went to get food and was ignored when I approached the barman to ask where I could get food he grunted towards a table so I sat for a few minutes and wasn’t approached so I went somewhere else

Staff were really nice especially the lady at reception very helpful and the rooms are spacious and comfortable

• Double Room - Advance Purchase

There was strains on the sheets. The whole family were woken up in the middle of the night by loud residents who were in the room next door. Badly run as they put a small family in between young men who were there in a large group

Nothing it is a bad experience

• Family Room

My bag was stolen but got it back then a second time i come back from the ladies and a guy was rootin my bag

The barman was straight over when he seen d guy going tru my handbag

Hotel advertisd "music" I got out of bed at 10pm 'cos I couldn't sleep & went to bar.. Barman was abrupt & snappy when I asked why there was no music.. said" I can give you a take away drink " & you can go back to bed or take it to another pub. No music is not my problem" also on check out I had to interupt elderly lady receptionist having a personal phone conversation & when I apologised for interupting & asked if she would look after me she became very irate & also shouted after me as I left

Great welcome from blonde young girl who gave me all the information re hotel & local amenities

• Double Room - Advance Purchase

Too hot. Other guests shouting and singing in corridor for 20 mins at 4am. We didn’t eat in the bar because it was so dark and empty so I can’t rate the food.

Excellent location in town center. Lovely comfortable beds.

No negatives . A wonderful old city.Everything within walking distance. The castle is a must see rooms fully and lovingly restored to their former glory and an excellent guide. Great restaurants,and as for the pubs,each with their own unique style.kilford arms and the Left bank a must see. Great way to spend a few days. George Kenny.

First time I have been in a church built within a pub. Magnificent achievement

Access to the room was not the best.

The staff were very polite and helpful regarding questions we had about the area and any information that we needed, also the breakfast was a great selection of food and really good quality. The older man and woman looking after breakfast were a delight.

• Double Room - Advance Purchase

Bar staff need some customer service training. From being told you have to wait an hour for a coffee as it's a bar not a cafe and being selective on who they give cash back to when taking card payments as they couldn't be bothered.

By no means luxurious, it does what it says on the tin. This is not for families it's a hens/stags party hotel. Perfect location.

Control of noise in stairs, hallways and other guests having 'party-in-the-room' to 4:30am not effective, I had continuously interrupted sleep. Room26 also sits above the entry door to all rooms which 'Clangs" through the floor every time it closes, and it closes a lot !

Off street parking.

• Double Room - Advance Purchase

The bathroom had harsh lighting (I suffer from migraines) and there were floor to ceiling cracks on the bathroom tiles as well as mould between the tiles all around the shower. It would have been helpful to be advised at check in that the main reception closes at a certain time and that the access to the hotel is throigh the pub. While there was a sign on the door, the property has about 4/5 other doors and by a process of elimination we got back in after our night out.

Staff were pleasant and friendly. The place was very centrally located. Bed was super comfy and it was great value for money.

• Double Room - Advance Purchase

The little things like face cloths, a bottle of water and plastic cups make all the difference. Save you running the shop. Bed was super comfy and the place was spotless, couldn't fault the place.

• Double Room - Advance Purchase

The bedroom we got was TINY!! Bed was extremely small and beyond uncomfortable! Disgrace that the bed was that small in a double room. I have stayed there before and never had a complaint but the room we had was disgraceful

room had no real window, was very stuffy, there was a window that was locked and boarded at the other side, a fake window. couldnt wait to get out of there

Location right in the centre of Kilkenny. Forget early start for breakfast after a late night in the residents bar-its served all day! Staff are very friendly and helpful. Will definitely stay again

• Double Room - Advance Purchase

Nothing. Our favorite stay so far.

We were graciously placed near the back of the property, because they were hosting a few stag parties. It was perfect. We walked everywhere.

Nothing! Apart from a party of school kids who raced up & down the corridors a few times but nothing to seriously disturb us.

Everything! They always remember us from previous visits & look after us well.

• Double Room - Advance Purchase

Our room was in the basement of the hotel and we reached the room through a maze of up and down stairs. There was no elevator. The room did not have a window. It was claustrophobic and dark. We had prepaid for the room and were told we could not get a refund. When we asked for a better room they said that all they had were rooms in the part of the hotel that had not been upgraded.

• Double Room - Advance Purchase

DO NOT EVER STAY HERE. EVER. It was the dirtiest, nastiest place I've ever seen/stayed in. We booked for two nights, but left after the first night. Honestly, this hotel should not even be available to book on credible websites. Discolored carpet and musty smell throughout the hotel (water damage?). First room they put us in was disgusting throughout, but more importantly, it had a serious mold issue in the bathroom. We literally grabbed our things and went down the lobby. Then they put us in one of their "new" rooms, which had nasty liquid stains on the wall, visible women’s hair on the carpet and stains on the window covering. Now, whenever we see dirty/scary/nasty hotels in horror movies we say “oh look, they must have filmed at the Kilford Arms”. DO NOT STAY HERE.

The only thing to like about this place is the location. But this hotel is not worth it. Do not ever stay here.

• Twin Room - Advance Purchase

We did find it difficult to gain entrance returning late at night from a wedding. Only for other guests managing to find the way in, and we just followed them in. Maybe I would suggest perhaps a night door man to help

we had a great stay and would stay again.

Room smelled musty. Mouldy window frames. Room heat excessive, had to get up at 3a.m. to turn off radiator. When main light switched off, the light had a green glow for the night. Returning to hotel late, main door not open, had to access hotel via noisy pub bar. Fire doors in hallways, with signs advising to keep closed, were kept open.

Central location in the town. Car park on site. Tea/coffee making facilities in room.

• Double Room - Advance Purchase

The cold water tap in the bedroom didn’t work. The bed was extremely uncomfortable and the breakfast the following morning was really bad

The room was a good size and it is a central location

Our room was tiny! The bed was way to small for 2 adults. In fact I rolled out of the bed twice. The shower head in out room needs replacing promptly, it was so didgusting I didn't even use the shower. The carpets throughout the hotel need replacing, very grubby and worn.

The staff were excellent and very friendly. We had breakfast the next morning and the food was excellent and great value for money.

• Twin Room - Advance Purchase

We expected more for the cost of the room. Had to ask for the heating to be turned on at night as the room was very cold. Music from the bar could be heard from our room and noise from other guests which is normal.

Staff were very friendly and helpful

• Twin Room - Advance Purchase

rooms were very comfy also it was great it had a lift as we are elderly and stairs are a problem.I had the best irish coffee I have had in a long time well done.

Having to knock on bar door to get into accommodation at night not very professional and them with list trying to find our names which nearly didn't happen

The bar food was homecooked and very tasty

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

• Double Room - Advance Purchase

The rooms were dated and dirty. We had to walk down 2 flights of stairs and two hallways to find our room. We felt like we were in the basement. It was nice that we didn't hear any noise but the walk to our room was excessive.

We loved the location of this property.

The double bed seemed to be only a 4ft bed, we had a triple room because my daughter was staying with us. We ended up sleeping in a bed each because there was not enough room for myself and my husband to sleep in the double bed. There were a LOT of stairs to climb. I was in room 100 and the lift only goes so far

The hotel was very centrally located to all bars restaurants and shops. The food was lovely the staff very friendly the rooms were a good size.

Noise from pub under my bedroom window kept me awake til after 2am!Also, though a lift brought us to first floor we had to go down steep staircase and long corridors to get to our room.

Courtesy and friendly staff who were very helpful

The room we had was tiny as was the bed. Wouldn't want to be staying more than a night in that particular room.

Brilliant location and had a free car park behind the hotel. The two pubs in the hotel were lovely.

• Double Room - Advance Purchase

Lunchtime service in the bar restaurant. The noise on a Monday morning at 6.30 created by the council cleaning machine, right outside our window.

Dinner in the restaurant on two nights, and the entertainment in the bar lounge first night. The birthday dinner in the private dining room was excellent too and the manager assisted us really well. The hotel location was convenient too.

• Double Room - Advance Purchase

We specifically asked for a Quiet Room - We must have got the noisiest room in the Hotel - hence very little sleep, which was very disappointing

Good Music Night. Good Breakfast.

• Family Room

No air conditioning - a bit warm in the room.

Great location and free parking. On-site bars (two) made it very convenient as well. Very easy walk to all restaurants and attractions in Kilkenny. We walked everywhere. Great staff. Simple breakfast.

• Twin Room - Advance Purchase

Given a room very far away from reception, no offers to help (had small child with me), no windows in room, stank of cigarettes, felt unclean, room didn't come with breakfast despite me looking for that, noisy outside room, car park awkward to get to

Friendly staff, nice breakfast, close to town centre

• Double Room - Advance Purchase

Pillows to hard would of like better hairdryer in room

We like welcome when we checked in the chap on desk when we arrived arranged for us stay in same room for extra 2 night we had booked which was great we didn't have move

The staff was very helpful and kind to speak to. The location was fantastic we were able to walk to everything on our to do list. We should have planned for more time in Kilkenny as it is a lovely town

No atmosphere in the pub/restaurant so went elsewhere. Room was a little tired.

Easy to walk to shops as on one of the main streets. View of the castle from our window.

Service was great! Also the bartender Tom was so fun to talk too. Location was perfect and we walked all over the town, close to Kilkenny castle too. Lots of shopping and restaurants

Unsafe to park your car, I parked my car in the Kilford arms hotel car park, it was broken into and vandalised. I reported it to the woman on the desk and she said she couldn't access the cctv until later. I asked her to follow it up and nothing back from them. Also when I was in the middle of a shower member of staff came running up to tell me be quick in the shower as it's leaking down on the bar, but not to worry this happened numerous times before. Just be quick in the showe. AVOID this hotel

I liked absolutely nothing about this hotel. Before we even got there got charged full rate 5 days prior. The next day after booking one of their staff ringing me demanding a security deposit in a highly unprofessional manner.

Hard not to like this place if your their for a Stag weekend as the pub (with its cosy lighting and relaxed atmosphere) is the focal point. It also has access to a club next door. The food and rooms are adequate but you may wish to save money by eating in town for a short stroll. If you have young children you may want something more ameniable.

Staff are very helpful. Bar open till late. Great for Hen and Stay do's. Great location with free parking at back.

• Triple Room - Advance Purchase

The hotel was nice and clean. The staff was helpful as they accommodated my request for room that did not require lots of walking to reach as one of the guests was an elderly person.

• Twin Room - Advance Purchase

Compared to other hotels staff in general are not so friendly. especially bar staff. meals advertised outside and on bar for one price and staff charge you an extra 50 percent ,saying its evening meal prices when its on 16.00.rooms are very over priced.dirty pint glasses.nightlife in bar was poor.

Comfortable beds,free wyfi. Polite at reception area.

I had chips and sandwiches one of the days the sandwich was burned, also when I asked for a pint of orchard thieves each day the bar staff said the pipes for the orchard thieves weren't set up so they had to sell me pint bottles of it which came from the basement so they were roasting each time.

The beds were very comfy

• Triple Room - Advance Purchase

Terrible Hotel, Bar with group until midnight with two low aged children. Room was too hot, with ridicously small window for temperature. permanent sound of air extractor making sleep very difficult

Long waits at breakfast for food to be ready even though it was buffet style. Showers room & toilet were unclean, reported it to reception who apologised and promised to have it cleaned. They did have the shower cleaned but the toilet base was never cleaned. A very old style TV sat on the dressing table top and took up a lot of space. No phone link to reception/other rooms.

Hotel was situated in a good location with easy access to major roads yet convenient to town centre and tourist facilities

• Double Room - Advance Purchase

Lunchtime service in the bar restaurant was not good. Wrong orders delivered, long waiting time, some drinks never arrived even after a reminder. Disappointing, after having had brilliant food and service there the night before.

The Location. The evening meals and service very good.

• Family Room - Advance Purchase

The front desk staff could have been a bit friendlier but they were OK once prompted.

Very comfortable beds and very good sized family room. The location was excellent stepping into the heart of the city right outside the front door. The parking was convenient and easy to use.

Thought it was a little expensive especially with out breakfast included. Didn't do any comparisons though so perhaps is the going rate in Kilkenny. The access to car park is easily missed and narrow but that is something they can't do much about due to close proximity of buildings. The parking was free for residents though.

One of the most comfortable beds I have slept in. Very centrally located with good amenities. Nice comfortable bar's with good food.