Reviews of Kilkenny House Hotel 3 stars

Freshford Road, Kilkenny, Ireland

#38 of 51 hotels in Kilkenny

cheap and cheerful

Despite a warning from the manager earlier in the evening, there was a drinking session in the room next door till 4 in the morning on a sunday night. Not the best start to a monday!

cheap and cheerful

Nice hotel.lousy staff n lousy breakfast. Rooms great price good.just skip breakfast

The foreign lady who works in kitchen n reception is the rudest person I have ever met in a hotel.breakfast was a nightmare because of her.i told her she was rude after throwing the eggs on my partners plate.we had asked for the eggs to be cooked well done.this was ignored.eventually she did .very cross face n throw them on the plate.i told her she was rude and she ignored me.i would stay again but would pass on breakfast. Was horrible n cheaper to go elsewhere..oh yeah I complained to manager.he just laughed and said that the last is cross.so they know n do nothing

Nice room comfy bed quite good shower

I didn't mind the rest of the room that were old and...

I didn't mind the rest of the room that were old and dated. While water kettle was the newest item in the room, it was 1/3 filled with water, very dirty and not easily cleanable for my use.

A very homely place to stay at a very good price with a very accommodating and friendly staff.

No air conditioning. more fruit for breakfast in hot weather.

Excellent staff and so accommodating if one has to make any changes in reservation or require anything. Air conditioning would have been a great comfort to get a sleep.

Comfortable bed

Not that extra credit charges are much but so it like the sneakiness of it. Those extra charges are not mentioned on booking site Hot in the rooms provided it was because of the unpredictable heat wave, a fan would have been good Shower was stuck on HOT water Hated loads of smokers sitting right up front near the entrance and blowing smoke at incoming guests..turn off

Comfortable bed Clean

Very enjoyable

Didn't like the breakfast nothing wrong with the food could have kept the food a lot warmer found it a little cool each morning and should have kept the friend eggs covered overall a pleasant stay

Bed very comfortable

Fine wouldn't go back

Rooms have no air conditioning and are very warm! And very out dated, No lift that I was informed off and had 3 flights of stairs To go up, don't think the restaurant opened once while I was there and although there is a bar if it opens it closes early

Staff were friendly and helpful

Comfortable clean hotel in easy walking distance to town. Highly recommend.

Arrived one day earlier than had booked but they accommodated us with any problem. Comfortable room, clean bathroom, easy 10 min walk to town. Helpful and informative staff, enjoyable buffet breakfast. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Ordered a room online from booking.

It was a little bit hot in the room. The music was good, but kept playing until 1 am making it kind of hard to sleep. Lunch was not provided at the bar.

Ordered a room online from booking.com, it was supposed to have two beds one twin and one full. However, when we arrived we were given a room with a single bed, but after speaking to the manager he was able to correct it and really helped us out. Shower was amazing. Bed was really comfortable. Beautiful walk to the city centre. Room I stayed in had a bathroom with shampoo & conditioner dispenser and a separate body wash dispenser. Dinner menu provided on the back of the room amenities sheet. Staff was courteous and very helpful!

Really good value hotel, the cheapest in our two around Ireland. Really spacious too.

The breakfast wasnt great, the presentation was poor, however for the price of the hotel I wasn't bothered.

This hotel is really good value! The room was a good size, the car park is huge. It's a good walk into town but they have a reasonable rate and really friendly taxi service.

Will be back

While having my breakfast would rather be listening to a irish radio station and felt some of the staff could do with cheering up and show more hospitality

Found the breakfast lovelly and coffee excellent

Really enjoyed our stay , lovely hotel we will be back !

Bar opening times should be earlier especially this time of year .

We have used this hotel before and we always enjoy our stay , It has everything and great value for money , bedroom very neat and tidy , also comfortable bed , staff were very friendly and helpful , nice walk into town . We will certainly be visiting again .

A bit out of town

Although it was walking distance to the town, this hotel was a little further out than we would have liked.

Good sized room. Windows that opened. Comfortable room.

The breakfast was good and seemed very good value.

The initial reception was surly. I had the impression that arriving early was a cardinal sin. It was disappointing that the bar was closed and no food was available. I was not aware that additional charges would be made for the use of a debit card, had I known then I could have got cash from the ATM. I also did not like it that the bill had to be paid when we checked in. I am used to being trusted to pay after I receive a service or a meal. Does this hotel have a problem with people not being satisfied with the service it offers is the question that came to my mind.

The breakfast was good and seemed very good value.

What would have been an enjoyable stay was ruined by the unwashed linen.

One of our group found her towel hadn’t been washed and had mascara stains on it. To top that off, she found small hairs on her bedding that made us think her bedding had not been changed/washed from the previous occupant. Totally unacceptable.

The Kilkenny Hotel was pleasant and Brendan at the front desk was friendly and accommodating when we asked to be one the ground floor. Our shared room had a GREAT shower and bathtub for soaking. The breakfast buffet for 10 euro was plentiful and good.

very comfortable stay.

GPS coordinates are incorrect/incomplete on booking.com website--we went on interesting detours before giving up and going old-school with a map.

Comfortable room and friendly staff

Friendly staff, inexpensive, poor food.

The food available in the bar area was awful, as was the breakfast. I travel a lot on business and this was one of the worst dining experiences I have had in a long time, in an hotel.

An inexpensive hotel located on the outskirts of Kilkenny. Friendly staff, well appointed rooms.

I had a pleasant comfortable & fulfilling stay.

The property is a little bit further out of town than I expected.

I liked the secure parking & the very pleasant & helpful gentleman at reception called Brendan.

Great value for money.

Just the distant from the centre.

Lovely hotel. Great value for money. Quite a long work to the centre if the weather isn't great. Taxis worked out fairly expensive.

Room and location good , staff not friendly.

Staff no way friendly , felt more like they were suspicious of their guests. Food ok but could make a bigger effort wit presentation

Nice hotel rooms lovely location good

The first receptionist was very nice.

Our checkout receptionist wasn’t too friendly nor did the breakfast cook. Breakfast was ok.

The first receptionist was very nice. The gentleman recommended us a fantastic place to eat. Great experience!

Great last minute deal

It is a little bit out this suits us but might not suit everyone. 25 min walk or €7 in taxi to centre.

The price was great for a last minute break away. We usually look for somewhere with plenty of parking. So this was great.

We were staying for the marathon in Tulloraun.

We were staying for the marathon in Tulloraun. We paid 328 for two nights accomodation each by 3 rooms. There was no hot water in the hotel at 3pm on Saturday after we returned from the marathon. The rooms were extremely noisy. When the hot water came on the shower temperature gage did not work so the shower was unusable due to the extreme hot temperature of the shower that was burning the skin. I would like a full refund for this stay.

Worst hotel I have ever stayed in! Do not book ever!!!

Food in the bar was disgraceful. €18 for a steak that was cremated even though it was ordered medium rare. Chips were raw and the side salad consisted of two slices of tomato served on dried out lettuce that was drenched in cheap tasting mayonnaise. Starter of fish cakes were clearly frozen ones that were left in the deep fat fryer for 15mins linger than they should and served with the same horrible side salad. Bathroom was filthy wouldn’t even shower in it and toilet had clearly not been cleaned after the last guest had stayed

The only good thing was the man in reception, Brendan, who was very pleasant and helpful on checkin

Great Service, breakfast and value

Hotel was nice and the staff were very pleasant. I would recommend the breakfast good quality, lots of it and a good value. Order the breakfast before hand and its just 7.50Euro. After a long day of sight seeing and visiting the local pubs were decided to have another couple of drinks at the hotel bar and have a game of cards. We drank and played until one of noticed that the posted bar hours had ended over 30 minutes previously. We apologized to the nice young bartender and said we would end our game immediately. She said she was in no hurry and for us to finish our game and even gave us a final round. A great place to stay and that has great customer service.

Simply the worst....

Room had a smell that we initially thought may have been stale smoke so we opened window and went down to eat. Disappointed that there was no separate restaurant. Food was available between 19.00 and 20.30 in the bar where 2 TVs were showing sports. This was not our idea of dining in a hotel. I ordered a rare steak which arrived shortly after. Unfortunately it was cremated and shrunken. The other lasagne dish had “squirty” mayonnaise on the side salad with the lasagne dumped on top of the chips. When the barman came over to ask if everything was ok I showed him the steak and asked if he’d sort something with the bill. He was very good and helpful and gave us a round of drinks as a goodwill gesture. (Didn’t eat steak!) On returning to the room we discovered that the smell was coming from the bathroom. Seemed like a putrid drain smell. Bed was rock hard with the danger that if one person moved that the other person would be rocked out of it. Woke a lot during night. Breakfast was not being served until 09.00. Left hotel at 07.10 in the morning. Worst night away that we have ever experienced.

Reasonable location. Easy to find. Check in was informative and pleasant

Very good budget accommodation in a beautiful city.

It's a little outside the city center but that's fine to have a little walk and be able to leave the car.

Very good value for the price. It was comfortable and clean. Nice to have free parking. Friendly staff upon arrival.

Knew it was a walk to the city center but didn't realize...

Location as stayed above

Knew it was a walk to the city center but didn't realize that no other services were near by. The bar made me a frozen pizza since it was Sunday pm which was kind, but I had expected more options

Bar staff and owner were great not sure about the rest though

Fighting in the hall two nights due to a gypsy wedding. The breakfast server was really rude and her tone when speaking bordered on aggressive. The receptionist ignored me standing at the desk for some time but this changed when he realised I wasn't a gypsy. To be honest I have never been spoken to or treated like this in any hotel a d I certainly have never been presumed to be a gypsy

Beds were comfortable and some of the staff were nice and friendly

Really bad

The staff, arrived for a funeral when we arrived tryed to cancel on us and people were highly rude no breakfast included. Friends of ours where refused entry of the bar as been residents of the hotel also staff really rude!!

Great value for money

As it was raining we had to get a taxi into the centre. On a fine day it's a 20 minute walk.

Nicely decorated clean rooms. Very good value for money

This hotel is good value for money ,basic ,clean ,good parking .

The bed was not comfortable ,the plumbing a little noisy ,but I suppose this was reflected in the price.

This hotel was good value for money ,it was clean, quiet and for the purpose we chose it for, it was perfect.It is situated about a 20 minute walk from the city center ,so don't choose this if you want to paint the town red!We met a lovely, bubbly girl on arrival ,who made us feel very welcome.

Convenient But Distant

There were no lifts at the hotel and they charged extra for using credit card. I was asked to pay 54 Euro although my booking said 51 Euro and outside the hotel it also was advertised 51 Euro.

The place was quite comfortable and the internet was good.

Do not stay here!

Management greeting on arrival or more so lack thereof. Roll call of names staying in each of the 3 booked rooms was ridiculous. In one room, the bed broke when my friend sat on it and we were moved to a room on the ground floor behind reception. Here, we were told we couldn't all proceed to this room on arrival back to hotel that night as there were too many of us and we would be too noisy. We all went to our own rooms. Our phone rang soon afterwards and we were told that there had been a noise complaint (which we do not believe) when we were talking in the room, followed by a knock on the door with the same instruction to keep quiet. Our room was behind reception. If the walls are so thin that you cannot speak in the rooms, this is a construction issue, not a guest issue. The breakfast was unsatisfactory and whilst this was included in our room rate, the hotel has the audacity to charge €10 for it. We voiced our concerns upon checking out and these were met with disdain. At this point, I'd like to state that my friends and I are in our early 30s and were treated with disrespect by the manager. This hotel does not cater for hens or stags, although we were neither and still felt unwelcome. The price is also unreasonable given the location, amenities and poor breakfast.

Checking out!

Very quiet on arrival no atomsphere in the hotel at all ,...

Very quiet on arrival no atomsphere in the hotel at all , room very standard no water in room , didn't feel like a Hotel at all , no bar open during the day for a drink , no where to get juice etc if needed , paid upfront straight away before getting to room which always pay when leaving over charges for what we got , came to 12 for check out getting bags together got call to see would we be much longer like I'd say there was about 5-7 people apart from us in the whole hotel , reception very earry and spooky , completely dead place and didn't have breakfast cuz I didn't want to give them any more of my money as I was to pay €268 for a room 2 nights ,loud noise at night as I tried to sleep sounded like an of extractor or some sort everything old and not even a bottle of water in the room .. DISGUSTED won't be ever staying here again staff also not very polite

Stayed in nicer hotels

There are many was no lecture facilities there. We were approached by a quickly to pay for our breakfast and as we're the other resident

Break fast was cold and wasn't included which I thought should have been didappointed

Great staff, very reasonably priced - wished it was a little bit closer to the city.

We went to get breakfast on one of the morning's and there was a very poor selection for vegetarians / vegans. Baked beans and tomatoes essentially.

Receptionist (older English gentleman) was exceptionally helpful and friendly

Wouldn't recommend

No breakfast after half 9. No bar open till 5 and closed at 11 couldn't even have tea in the hotel as it was all closed up room was very bog standard hotel staff was rude to us on arrival.. no fag machine or atm. Wouldn't recommend atal.

It a cheap and clean

Finding a pubic hair on the toilet lid when I first entered...

Finding a pubic hair on the toilet lid when I first entered the room was a bit disconcerting. Bar food was awful. This hotel needs a face-lift badly. The cleaning staff might also need to clean the dust from the leaves of the artificial plants dotted around the hotel.

A beautiful pleasant stay and I will be back again soon.

I had absolutely no fault with anything.

Thank you for changing our room to suit us at such short notice. A perfect location in a lovely quiet place with a fine window to leave in air. The staff were excellent and very courteous and accommodating. The food was excellent and I loved the self service element and the freedom and space to enjoy our breakfast in a quiet way. I felt the venue added to my requirements for peace and quietness as well as helping me to relax.

Cheap, cold and definitely have seen better times.

"Large double bed" is the smallest double bed ever possible in Ireland — i.e. what's called "double", 135x190. There is a large radiator in the room, but it is (1) off by default, (2) controlled house-wide, and thus it works only 1h in the evening and 1h in the morning. If you've arrived late and missed that one hour of heating, you're bound to have a pretty cold night. There is no carpet or anything on the floor, so it contributes to that chilling effect as well. Doors are thin, you're getting perfect hearing of what's happening in the hallway. You need to pay in cash, or else payment by card would be 1€ more.

Pretty cheap. Not that far away (20 min walk) from city center. Ample free parking space that one can see from the room. Working wi-fi.

Dissappointing

They had no lift, and the stair banisters were just painted and you couldn't touch them, I was on 3rd floor with 2 large bags. The desk person help out my husband and put the bags in the dumb Waiter but he had to walk up the 3 flights to get them and we had to bring them down 3 flights leaving. Went into town and asked for directions and the desk clerk showed us a sign to read to get in, the directions were not clear. The morning staff was not very friendly serving breakfast. Breakfast was Dissappointing.

Very Reasonable price for a good nights rest on a Friday

Not that it bothered me but it is a little far out from the centre and there is no lift to rooms.

It was a work trip for one night and while other hotels where I usually stay in Kilkenny were extortionate, this ticked all the boxes. Bar food was what I wanted, (a toasted special) barman was friendly, room was spacious and very clean, bed comfortable and a decent shower. It absolutely served its purposes! Will definitely stay again for work purposes

It was short and sweet. We would like to stay in Kilkenny for a longer period next time.

They are in the midst of some renovations, but I do not give them bad marks for that. We were not inconvenienced in any way except having to climb stairs to the 3rd floor with luggage. However, the man at the check-in desk helped us.

Good location for the attractions we wanted to visit. Comfortable, quiet rooms. Nice bar with friendly staff. The owner or manager gave us good directions for the Rock of Cashel which we visited.

Have stayed here before,this time the room I got was really nice

The food for dinner is awful,I ordered a steak burger,they didn't ask what way I wanted it cooked,when I got food realized why as it was not steak it was a frozen burger,it was horrible need to updated the menu,

Staff were very nice

will go back again very pleasant stay

very nice hotel friendly staff I was impressed with ted on reception showed myself and my husband a lovely walk down by the river. He was very pleasant and helpful will go back again.

Very disappointed with the food and difficult getting back in after hours due

The food was awful though. So bad I complained and refused to pay for it. Beef burger with cheese but the cheese was cold.

Good location. Rooms were a decent size

Cramped

Room and bed small and cramped. Room smelled of bleach. Shower freezing. No reception staff on arrival. When eventually turned up after 5 mins attempted to double charge me room was paid for at booking. Instead of checking on computer had to go through a paper trail to find that indeed room had been paid for. All in all stay was uncomfortable and not value for money! Would not recommend

met my needs very well at favourable price

breakfast limited but acceptable for cost

Liked the ambience, reduced commute to work so affordable price made this a viable option. Clean, comfortable, mostly very pleasant staff. Easily accessible. Nice, small and personal accommodation.

Disappointing .

The only thing worth the money we paid (253€) for 2 nights 😡 was the bar staff ! Lovely lovely bunch of lads the only good thing about the money paid ! Had to sleep with a chair up against our door as a lot of the doors don’t lock . No lunch serves in the hotel which is written on a piece of paper as you walk in , breakfast wasn’t included in the price and the breakfast was all cheap food . Very very very disappointed . Spoke with the hotel owner about the price not being valuable in any sense for what the hotel was and he basically said he doesn’t care . Never will be back again .

the bar staff and the bathroom in the room was clean .

Avoid at all costs, we were so disappointed even though we only stayed one night.

There was a dead pigeon left in the carpark and no one moved it, the manageress was completely ignorant.

The room was clean but there was an awful smell from the drains in bathroom. The lady that was at the desk was rude and ignorant and made us feel like we were dirt on her shoe.

Had a very nice stay!

The room was comfy, clean and large. Great for the price. Loved the towel warmer in the bathroom. Pub downstairs was very convenient. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Quick taxi ride into town. Lots of free parking

Can't say I'd stay again

Hotel needs a bit of a revamp room was basic would expect a nicer room for that price bath tub was dirty (dead flys in tub) I think if they lowered there rate you expect what we got staff on arrival and departure weren't overly friendly but helpful when needed information

Hotel was in an OK location 25 min walk to town or fairly cheap taxi

Grand hotel used as a base for touring around kilkenny. Functional and affordable.

It was so quiet it was actually a little intimidating! At one stage it did feel a little less secure than I liked as the door is always open, I feel there should always be someone at the front desk. Or within a visible range.

I travelled midweek so it was quiet. the menu was limited enough for me as I need to stay gluten free, but the barman was very helpful in checking what ingredients were included in certain meals, and adapted things for me.

It was a good place to stay for a night, location quite close to town

On checking out the staff were nowhere to be seen, we had to ask the painter could he find someone out the back, the bar closes early at 11.30, breakfast was too early and closed too early

They had a taxi service for guests with a flat rate charge, the beds were very comfy

loved the room wasn't too hot like other hotels and it...

Smell of paint in rooms wasn't so nice to be inhaling! Also bar in hotel was not opened till 4 was a little strange for hotel on a bank holiday weekend

loved the room wasn't too hot like other hotels and it felt like a guesthouse not any ordinary hotel room.

Very nice stay

Nearer to town, 20 minutes walk.

Very clean, shower the best ever, breakfast large variety, bed very comfortable. Can't complain about anything about the hotel

Not overall impressed

The bed was hard. The bed sheets had dirty marks on them. The room had a terrible smell in it that it nearly brought my partner to vomit. It was cold.

The staff were very helpful and pleasant

good value for money

the only disappointment was they do not offer food in the evening during the week so you have to go into town

Room was ideal, shower was excellent, location was just on the outskirts of the city,

Excellent from start to finish.

Nothing was all excellent.

Had a lovely stay. myself and my 4 sisters were over visiting family. Our stay with you was excellent from start to finish. The staff could not do enough for us and made us feel very much at home. Thank you

Ample sized room, handy easy to find location.

Breakfast food was just warm, would have preferred food to be hotter.

Ample sized room, handy easy to find location. Bar nice, noise from bar could not be heard in room. Brendan on reception, very helpful & polite.

Great location and comfort

The location is fantastic for hospital visitors. The food was good in the bar restaurant for dinner. Buffet breakfast was nice too. Beds were super comfortable.

When we checked in there was a really strong smell of smoke...

When we checked in there was a really strong smell of smoke on the floor where our room was i reported it and they were prompt with dealing with it. Very basic hotel & they need new towels!!

Adverage..hotel served purpose would not stay longer than one night

Hotel a bit dated some funny smells in the lobby and bar

Double room booked was shocked to find double bed had two single duvets over lapping to make a double duvet...

pleasant break with easy access to lovely town

No evening food in the quieter months which was now. Told us were to go though.

really great breakfast and good facilities in the room for tea, coffee etc. Bar along side. Nice big car park and friendly helpful staff

Just good to get away

Breakfast was at 9 in the morning to late for us bar didn’t open till 4 on Saturday and Sunday and it didn’t open till 5 Monday till Friday my room was cold

Beds were comfortable breakfast was lovely

Not the best

The rooms all had an unusual smell, and didn’t look very clean. The bathroom especially had a strange smell.

It’s a good location and the staff were friendly

Very pleasant and enjoyable

Location, friendly and accommodating management and staff, good atmosphere and very convienant, good value for money

Very comfotable romms nice size, very comfortable beds and cleann towels and room. Only issue is breakfast start too late on weekends

We only stayed one night but it was perfect for our needs.

would have liked a gluten free menu but the food we had was fine.

Rooms very comfortable, staff very friendly and the location most convenient for us. The hotel was spotlessly clean and we really liked the fact that there was a soap dispenser on the sink (not the usual tiny bars of soap that you can never get the wrapping off!).

Fine for getting the head down.

The bed wasn't that comfortable the pillows were hard. Also starch scent off the linens like a hotpress smell

Liked the shower very clean and powerful. Ate at the bar. The dark hair mature lady was so friendly. Food was nice

Avoid Room #20

My bathroom was across the hallway from my room. I had to unlock two doors before I could go there. Not great if you have to go. No vending machines onsite. The water coming out of the taps was brown and undrinkable. The kettle in the room took about twenty minutes to boil. There was cigarette ash in one of the coffee cups and someone had put a sock over the fire alarm. I'm guessing the cleaners didn't notice any of this. For some reason they're not letting me submit this review.

It was reasonably close to city centre. The staff were nice. They could have turned up the heat though. Woke up freezing. If the rooms had a personal thermostat, that would be a big plus.

Annoying night porter

The night Porter was constantly calling each room and knocking on doors telling us stay quiet he was the noisest out of everyone. A little man on a power trip. Food was disgusting and the rooms are poor b&b standard. Double beds with 2 single bed duvets

Leaving

Very pleasant and relaxing stay.

I have stayed here before it is quite and very welcoming it was perfect for us I have stayed in the town and it is very noisy early hours of the morning. Lovely breakfast had a very relaxing weekend would definitely stay again.

Good food - Bedrooms and hallways let it down with a bang.

Bedrooms were poor - mattress was pee stained - hairs and stains on covers - dust on tiles in bathroom and the tiles in the bathroom look like they were done blindfolded.

Food was good and the downstairs in general

Not worth the value....needs attn to h/k

toilet was NOT clean. stayed 2 nights - housekeeping did a poor job on the room. pillows smelled not clean. No top sheet on bed. Far walk from town. Did NOT like this stay at all.

has a pub/restaurant attached.