Reviews of Killarney Guest House 3 stars

Western Road, Cork, Ireland

#20 of 24 B&Bs and Inns in Cork

It’s old and rustic, at least the inside.

Alarm went off in the middle of the night.. 🙈

It’s old and rustic, at least the inside. It’s comfortable and walking distance to UCC and the city center.

Cork, the college, and comfort for the traveler.

The initial neglect of our simple requests was bothersome and the trek to the 4th floor was completely unnecessary. Once that was repaired, all went well.

We were put on the top floor after requesting the ground or lower floor rooms. We requested a fan that was then unavailable and the windows did not open. We explained that chemotherapy drugs my sister took made her overheat and the owner jumped on it. He moved us to a lower floor at the neighboring property, the faculty housing. It turned out great. We would return to the property.

wonderful staff - great place to rest after a busy day and very comfortable indeed.

Unfortunately I was unable to avail of the breakfast as I was up very early - but next time, for sure. It's a busy area and there seemed to be lots of entertainment nearby in the evening but it did not go on too late.

A great experience here at this property right from the start. The owner went out of her way to help me and I was accommodated in one of the studio apartments which was airy, spacious and cool - very important given that I was staying during some very hot weather. Also as it was a business trip it was lovely to come back to a cool room after a busy day's training and be able to relax in comfort. .

Even though room was nice, it was not close to city center, and breakfast was bad.
    • Budget Double Room

It was not convenient for walking or to the bus/train station. The breakfast was terrible! No hot food, just beverages, cold cereal, yogurt and toast for 9 euros each! The breakfast was not included in the expensive price of the room and the lady in charge was rude.

Room was large and comfortable. We had a stove, refrigerator, dishes, etc. We also had two rooms that were clean.

Would not recommend. I only stayed there because could not get another night at previous guest house

The value was not there. Charging 9 euros for a paltry continental breakfast, was over the top. The room was cramped, good job only myself was in it. The room door looked like someone had tried to break in, badly repaired. No sound proofing as it faced onto Western road and was noisy until very late at night.

Bus stop to CBD outside the door, virtually. Coming back across the road.

Convenient stop over.

Breakfast was a bit lack lustre. The decor is a little dated.

This is fine for a couple of night stay. It’s clean and comfortable although given the very hot weather it was a little airless. It’s a short and pleasant walk to the city Centre and the bus connects directly to Kent Station.

Terrible, never again
    • Budget Double Room

There was no warm welcome with coffee, tea and biscuits. The rooms were not as shown on the pictures. All the matrasses were saggy, it would be impossible to get out in the morning without feeling broken.

It was a 10-15 minutes walk to town center and bus stops in front of the establishment.

The staff were fabulous all very friendly and helpful no job...

The staff were fabulous all very friendly and helpful no job was too small or too big! They were very knowledgeable. Hotel was clean the Crawford side of the hotel was the preferred side as the main hotel is clean but tired looking..... reminded me of faulty towers but it all added to the character and fun! After all it is only a place to lay your head for the night and the main things were that it was very clean and the staff were amazing and is close to the centre just a short walk! All in all very good value for money :)

Not as great as we were lead to believe
    • Budget Double Room

We believed we paid online for bed and breakfast but was presented with 36 euros for breakfast at end of our two day stay. Distance from the city is 2Ks and not 400m as was advertised

When ever we asked for extra pillows and tea we got prompt service.

Good for us but could be improved.
    • Budget Double Room

The apartment was tatty and the bed hard and uncomfortable. The bathroom was clean but needs complete renovation. The rest was a bit tired and outdated.

For us an excellent location, near to the University and an easy walk into town. We had a small 'apartment' which gave us independence and was a nice bonus for the week!

Absolutely amazing!! 5/5 stars!!
    • Budget Triple Room

Couldn't find any faults!

My two friends and I stayed for one night and the entire apartment was absolutely stunning. It felt like a 5/5 star apartment. The beds were extremely comfy and the overall cleanliness of the apartment was superb. The staff were also extremely friendly and welcoming. We didn't arrive in Cork until close to 10pm and the late check in made everything so much more easier and convenient for us! Would definitely recommend staying at the Killarney Guest House and I would absolutely stay here again!!

Very good location, close to city center and campus.
    • Budget Single Room

Very basic accomodation in tiny rooms. For a sleep-over OK. Should the breakfast be included in the room price it would be more competitive.

Very good location, close to city center and campus. Caring staff. Clean place though a bit worn off. Quiet at night.

Room to improve
    • Budget Single Room

No door for the toilet , I mean , why . A good and comfortable bed is what you need , but it was no where close.Sorry , but a lot of improvement is needed for the value for money. Carpet in the room was old and curtains were dull looking. Didn't feel like going for breakfast after all that.

Staff were friendly and location is excellent.

I thought it was quite expensive for what we had. Kind of like Marriot price for Motel 6.

Shower was small. Room was beige-drab. It was ground floor facing traffic so loud and not able to leave window open. So hot. Out of town a good bit.

A ledge along my bed for setting my things on.

Very convenient for city and adequate parking. Staff friendly.
    • Budget Double Room

No tea making facilities except a kettle and cups - no milk or tea bags and no shop nearby.We should have been aware of this when we booked

Did not realise until we arrived that we were allocated an appartment a few doors from the Guest House.The appartment had all kitchen facilities but we were unable to make a cup of tea for ourselves as did not have milk or tea bags.It would be ok if we knew in advance as there is no shop close by

Great for the U, Not for the Center
    • Budget Double Room

If you're visiting the university, this is the place to be. If you're looking to visit Cork center, be prepared to walk. The 10 minutes is more like 20, and my husband and I are good walkers - and if you're coming back after dinner it's a walk through very deserted neighborhoods. The facility itself is clean and decently maintained. Our room would have been more than good enough if the bed had not been pushed against one wall with no real way to pull it away. Made for extremely cramped sleeping. OTOH, the free parking was a nice bonus.

I would be happy to stay here again when I'm next in Cork.

There was a lot of noise from the room above mine, with very creaky floorboards. This is unavoidable in an old building of character, but it did wake me in the night.

I received a really warm welcome despite my late check in. The room was pleasantly furnished, clean and comfortable. The Chinese lady who served breakfast was delightful - she really got my day off to a good start.

Happy stay
    • Budget Double Room

Nothing I didn't like, but when ppl moved about in other rooms kinda felt like they were in the room with me.

Clean, tidy, friendly staff, and walking distance from town. Couldn't ask for more

Across from Cork University, and close to Restaurants and...
    • Budget Triple Room

Basic acomodatiins.... good place if you are just passing through and need a night to rest.

Across from Cork University, and close to Restaurants and pubs... free parking in back...

Good location for stop over in Cork

This is a big Victorian property near Cork university. Very quick check in as we arrived late. Didn’t see much of the staff and left to our own devices but that was ok for us. Walkable to the city centre. Leisure Centre a short drive away, ample parking at the guest house. Good value for money

Cosy Guest House with a very friendly and helpful Staff and a delicious Breakfast Menue.
    • Budget Double Room

My Mother (70) felt dizzy in the morning and the very friendly Staff took amazing care of my mother (professional Massage, etc.) so I had a chance to pack the Bags for our checkout. The Breakfast Menue was very versatile and delicious. Highly recommended Guest House!

Great location and value!

The curtains were difficult to pull closed, and, the shower curtain kept clinging to me - would prefer a shower door.

The room was comfortable and spacious. The manager and staff were very friendly and helpful. Value for the price. OUTSTANDING location with easy city access, moving in-and-out of the city area, and right across the street from the university campus. Central to all tourist attractions. I would definitely use them again.

Poor and i will elaborate further at a later stage.
    • Budget Double Room

Bed it was not a proper double bed.

The bed war the most uncomfortable my wife and I have ever slept in, It was a disgrace. I even tried sleeping on the chair as two people could not sleep in the bed. booking.com should advise their clients.

Good location with kind staff.

Good location. City center, English Market a 15-20 minute walk away. I found breakfast on my own on the way to town so can't comment on the breakfast at the guesthouse. The young man greeted me kindly on check in and helped me with my bag up the stairs. All in all kindly, attentive staff.

Book at Garnish House and not this place!

There was never anyone at the front desk, there was no wifi in our room, it was not well cleaned, and the TV was tiny with three channels.

The location was the only good thing about this place.

Would not stay again
    • Budget Single Room

The bed was broken and they knew about it but still sold the room. Not offered a room move. The internet would not work in my room which they knew about but they did let me sit in the dinning area to use it.

Great location but just needs some extra touches and updates as it was expensive for two nights.
    • Budget Double Room

First night there was no bath mat in the room or teaspoons for the drinks (just little things missing here and there). Bed was incredibly squeaky and room outdated.

Big spacious room and spacious bathroom in a good location about 15 mins from cork centre

Overall a very nice stay, if I don't mind the awful WiFi

- WiFi was horrendous. All the houses nearby have awful WiFi (Garnish, Achill, etc.). They all should ask Acton Lodge how amazing WiFi is done correctly. Apart from that, it's a beautiful stay.

- Extralarge room - Large bath with a tub - Warm and comfortable - Small snacks/tea/coffee provided in the room - Friendly and welcoming staff - No unnecessary interruptions - Clean facilities, room cleaned every day

This was the worst property I’ve ever had the misfortune to stay in.
    • Budget Double Room

This property was absolutely horrific and nothing at all like the pictures on their website! We were in Cork to attend a gig on Bank Holiday weekend and there wasn’t another room to be had in the city, if there had been a possibility of another room we would’ve walked straight back out on arrival!

Friendly staff, great location.

Bathroom could have done with a little bit of an upgrade, but I am just nit-picking now. It was absolutely fine.

We stayed in Crawford House next door, which was absolutely fine. Only a short walk into the city centre and shops etc. Room was spacious and comfy. Staff was just lovely and welcoming. Easy to get to and ample parking.

Okay

Unsecured WiFi. One of the other visitors put a dent in our hire car in the car park overnight which didn't endear us to the place.

The facilities were OK but we were only looking for a bed not fancy facilties

Awesome!

Everything was lovely

Very comfortable & extremely large, was actually an apartment upstairs & downstairs, I think they gave us an upgrade with no extra charge. I think they put us in Crawford B & B next door.

Great location easy access to train and bus.
    • Budget Double Room

The pillows are a bit too hard for my liking. Would have liked something lighter than the duvet.

Great location easy access to train and bus. Live music and a great pub, and yet once we were in our room we didn't hear the sounds. Will definitely recommend to friends😃

Friendly staff with clean and modern rooms
    • Budget Single Room

Super friendly and accommodating, the rooms were so much nicer than you'd expect from a guesthouse. Proper hotel standard! I'd highly recommend.

Very disappointing

Paint falling off the walls, carpets were dirty, fixtures and fittings were poor and it was generally very tired.

it could be fantastic if the owners invested a little money but everything was poor. A horrible grotty place - it’s the worst place we have stayed in Ireland .

Felt like home to home.

Felt like home to home. We booked a double room but when we checked in we were given a studio apartment and it was beautiful, would definitely recommend a stay here :). The apartment had everything that one would need to cook a meal and all equipment was provided from bowls, cups, glasses plates etc. Great value for money too it was just lovely.

Old World Charm

The bed was a bit too firm for me. The beds didn’t seem to bother anyone else, though.

Excellent service, a good breakfast and the rooms were clean, dry and warm!

We were put next door in the modern part which was nice,...

Scatty check in, not sure what was happening

We were put next door in the modern part which was nice, some of the rooms in the main building I believe could do with renovating, but ours was nice

The worst experience in the world
    • Budget Single Room

First of all, I showed my booking at the reception where it was clear that my booking was paid. They told me: if you want to check in you must pay, it is not paid. So I paid twice. I needed to go to the Police to have my money back, but they didn't pay me the whole amount of money. So I have to go back to the police and report the property for fraud. The room was horrible, dirty, with a bad smell, the bathroom unusable and I needed to clean it day after day because the cleaners were not able to clean a bathroom. The hot water from the sink comes only for one minute then it comes cold. During the night all the sounds from the vents switched on in the bathrooms of the other apartments they didn't let me sleep (they leave the fan in the bathroom running after the attempt to clean the apartment). The kitchen was so dirty that I couldn't use it. The bed lined of the bedroom were dirty and spotted. I will do my best to destroy the reputation all over the world of this host. They are scammers, dishonest and do not offer a service at the height of the money paid.

I was in a guest house that also caters for emergency housing. The noise at 12am, people knocking on my door looking for someone and then woken at 5am by the children upstairs running about, making noise and the parent screaming at them, will never stay here again, Avoid!!!!

Location close to city center.

Shower head was broken. Smell of must in the room. Room was cold. Very old facilities. Badly needs a renovation.

Location close to city center. Safe car park

We had a large flat with kitchen and dining room which was...

the front door slams shut because of a pull to lock and is very loud

We had a large flat with kitchen and dining room which was separate to the hotel, but everything was in good order.

Nice apartment near university

Problems with onsite washing machine and need to purchase tokens. Intern did not know what to do and person handling not available so had to wait.

Great apartment with plenty of beds. Good kitchen. Good location near the university. Like having washing machines / dryers and parking on the property.

It was okay, but we wouldn't rush back.
    • Budget Triple Room

Expensive for what it was.

There was a large car park at the rear. It was a little way out of town, but a flat and easy walk. The room was a nice size with a king-size bed. It was basic but clean.

The staff was really helpful, volunteered to help us move...

The breakfast was a little disappointing, we paid €9 per person and were told there's gonna be hot breakfast, so we were expecting bacon & egg & sausage etc, but instead the only thing available was cereal, yogurt and toasts.

The staff was really helpful, volunteered to help us move the bags around coz our room was in another building. Free car park behind the hotel, heaps of spots so you don't have to worry about parking. The room was bigger than expected, with functional kitchen and everything.

Good
    • Budget Triple Room

The Jacuzzi part of the bath wasn't working -but we hadn't expected this anyway. Would have been nice to have had some breakfast included in the cost-was a bit unclear on booking.com site if it was or not.

The room was a good size and the beds were comfortable. Parking on site was very useful. It was a good location -just a short walk to town-and nice and quiet inside the room.

Horrendous experience

The most horrendous experience I have ever had! The bed in my room was sloped. Hair dryer was missing although there was a hairdryer's holder on the wall. Terrible neighbours who were screaming, swearing and throwing things around all night. They sounded as if they were intoxicated. I called the reception 3 times. When I finally asked the reception to call the police and remove them they only came up to speak to them but everything continued again. I was lying next door terrified and tired till 4am and had to work the next morning as it was a business trip. It felt as if this guesthouse accommodates social housing individuals. The next day we saw one of the guys from next door with a see-through plastic bag that had his clothes in it. Our instant thought was that he was freshly out of prison. Breakfast was ok but nothing special for 14 euros. Everything is outdated and overpriced for what it is. Safety of their other guests was not their priority. I would not recommend this place to anyone. Be aware!

A very comfortable and convenient property.

Suggestion only... the light in the bathroom flickers for a while when you first turn it on.

Very comfortable property with a bones full kitchen which would be great for a longer stay.

Killarney Guesthouse.... Amazing.

The only thing I didn't like about Killarney Guesthouse is that I didn't know about it sooner.

Staff, location top class. We stayed in the apartment and upon opening the door we were amazed by everything there. It was superb.

Adequate
    • Budget Double Room

We ended up being switched to another room down the street in Dolphin Lodge...it just wasn't what we had expected.

It was very secure and the new room had a little kitchenette which did serve us well.

Good location, but not very cleans

We were moved from our initial room due to a patch of wet mound on the ceiling. We were moved to a room three building down into a studio flat, which was an ‘upgrade’ but unfortunately it was dirty. The kitchen area hadn’t been cleaned at all, the previous guests had left a tray with fat in the oven which we discovered on opening it.

I don't recommend it - old and uncomfortable furniture, loud and bright room - you cannot sleep here

Although I booked a room here, we got a room in another hotel next to this one - I guess they have the same owners. The bedroom and the bathroom was really tired and they would really need renovation - painting fading and peeling, missing or broken bathtub parts. The bed was uncomfortable and too soft with an old mattress with stains on it. There was a dirty, used towel in the bathroom with someone's makeup on it. It might have been a former smoking room, because the room was smelling. The windows are facing the street, so the room is really loud and due to the lights right in front of the room it is always bright - you need to sleep in an orange light. We just stayed because we paid the room already - they asked me to pay in advance, before checking in to my room.

The bathroom was large. We could park for free in the backyard.

Excellent - comfortable, convenient, clean and staff were lovely. Shower needs to be fixed.
    • Budget Double Room

The shower was the only problem. The water pressure was poor and water kept going from hot to cold, although the dial was set at warm.

The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean with good facilities. Excellent location. Parking to the rear was very convenient. We stayed in room 4.1 - studio apartment which was a lovely surprise.

Windows do not seal in their frames and as a result there is...
    • Budget Double Room

Windows do not seal in their frames and as a result there is very loud road noise and clearly heard noisy passers by after closing hours all through the night. Poor night's sleep.

I had better accommodations for less money.
    • Budget Single Room

The room was too cold and the heat from the heating didn´t reach the bathroom. The towels weren´t clean and there were screws lying around in the room.

There was hot water in the shower and the television worked well although there were only four working channels. The Wifi worked well and the staff was very nice. The location was superb!

Over priced and very poor cleanliness
    • Comfort Triple Room with Shower

At €178 for a room it was extremely poor. Black hairs on the bed clothes and towels and the breakfast was terrible, burnt stale rashers and sausages (€13 for a fry). Will not be returning or recommending.

Location is good - only 10 mins walk to the town centre

Nice place, but not worth the price

Expensive. We booked a twin bed room and the second bed was actually a sofa bed in which you could feel every single spring of the mattress. I am not demanding at all and I slept anyway, but for the price (over 200e for two people for two nights) I would expect at least a mildly comfy sofa bed.

Very nice and clean room, quiet location, good breakfast

Killarney House was a great base for a conference at University College Cork I was attending.
    • Budget Single Room

I ended up with a studio apartment room with it's own kitchen which was handy. It's very close to the University which was perfect for me and within walking distance of the city centre.

Great location but breakfast too expensive
    • Comfort Triple Room with Shower

The nine euro for continental breakfast. No croissants and orange juice drink not the real thing. My 15 year old had one slice of brown bread and a glass of apple juice and we only had one full slice of toast and a mini scone and that was ,36.00 euro not good enough

The location to UCC was excellent and we were able to leave the car for the day

Warm and welcoming owners, it was a lovely place to stay...

Warm and welcoming owners, it was a lovely place to stay would recommend it right across from UCC college would recommend it and 2 lovely parks nearby for going for a leisurely stroll

Horrendous!!!!!!!!
    • Budget Double Room

The rooms were extremely basic, and I'm not fussy! Very clinical feel to the accommodation overall. Very thin duvet and a blanket, pillows very flat and mattress like a rock to sleep on. Extremely noisy guests kept us awake all night as their room was above ours, you could hear everything they were saying, flushing toilets all night and moving furniture around. Very creeky floorboards. Have to say the WORST experience I've had staying in a B&B to date. No remote for the TV. Staff were really any help and didn't not seem to care.

The fact that we left as early as possible the next day

Room and bathroom gorgeous - all newly decorated. Fab shower really powerful!

Couldn’t get tv to work in room - all tucked up in bed so didn’t feel like going downstairs to find someone to sort!!

Lovely waitress serving breakfast. Gave me jug of water to defrost car!

Off street parking, pleasant owner and staff.
    • Budget Single Room

Maybe being used for social housing? Murderous full scale row at 1 am down the corridor that continued on. Doors aren't secure. Little cold in the room. €14 breakfast additional.

Off street parking, pleasant owner and staff. Excellent Wi-Fi

An Experience - Won't Be Back!
    • Budget Double Room

Whole place in bad need of repair & lick of paint. Old neglected room, one lock broken on door,paint peeling off walls, rust on lamp shades, no bathroom door - a slided accordion door that you would see in caravans. Though radiator on all night the room was absolutely freezing. 3 channels on 1980's type of TV. Internet very poor. Woken at night by someone above us chatting. We would've moved out only that our arrival was late & we had prepaid! Seriously could not wait to depart in the morning. Photos on Booking.com not at all true to word!!!!

Friendly staff, parking facilities.

Perfect accomodation in perfect location with perfect cost!
    • Budget Triple Room

There was one 1 mug in the apartment and there were 3 of us staying...no glasses either

We got an upgrade to an apartment which was extremely comfortable and warm

Room was clean and spacious.
    • Budget Double Room

Room was very basic no book with information, no exit signs in case of emergency. No phone to ring reception, and was five flights up and in separate building to reception.

Room was clean and spacious.

Great location and a decent breakfast.

The mattress needed turned, if not replaced. The bathroom door didn't quite guarantee privacy.

The location was perfect as we were attending an even at UCC

Not great.

Stayed here the first time a few years back Got an amazing room Second time less amazing but still really good one a the best in cork This time was a pain Terrible shower Terrible bed No iron Rubbish beds Broken jacuzzi Just bad experience

Disappointed with the room

clean, central, easy parking

both booking.com and the website went on about the sumptuous breakfast, implying it was part of the deal, on which basis we booked. It was only on checking the booking confirmation from booking.com that it turned out not to be. Bit disappointing

clean, central, easy parking

It was ok

The room was small, the bathroom was tiny, kept hitting our elbows every time we got off the toilet. The shower was tiny but always had hot water. To be honest we paid €70 (no breakfast which was our choice as my daughter was fasting for the hospital) for 1 night in a double room and paid €80 for a hotel the following night with breakfast.

The bed was very comfortable. Very close to university hospital and college. The staff were very helpful and friendly.

When you pay €97.00 for a night you expect something better than this.

Room was tiny definitely less than 12m sq (as was in the description), Bed was uncomfortable and accessible from one side only. There was a bedside from one side only which means I had no space to put my water or phone for the night. Corridors looked better than the room.

Staff was very nice and the location was good. Room was clean and warm.

uncomfortable and awkward
    • Budget Double Room

Bathroom door wasn't a door, it's a slider thing so not much privacy. Bathroom was tiny. Bed not great and a few dried in stains on the sheets. Very cramped room. Breakfast not included in room rate and was an extra 9euro...I expect a hotel to do that, not a bed and breakfast!

Not much, location about the best of it.

Quaint, but not worth the money.
    • Comfort Triple Room with Shower

The window didn't close, the heat wasn't strong enough. The bathroom ensuite was very small and dated. When I tried to teach someone to get help, there was no answer. The price of the accommodations was too high for what was received.

The host was very sweet.

Depressing room, guest house needs a total revamp

Room was very out dated more 70's decor. Ceiling in room had a massive yellow stain obviously from a leak.Bathroom was tiny couldn't open the door to bathroom unless you pushed the bed away from it. I wouldn't recommend this place as it needs a total renovation and upgrade. There are nicer places near by with better value.

Location and parking were good

Friendly staff, they were all glad to help me if I needed...
    • Budget Single Room

The place was a bit dated, could use a bit of renovation to make it look a bit more fresh. Also, the breakfast price was a bit steep for what it was, but you could just opt out of that and there is a grocery shop just nearby

Friendly staff, they were all glad to help me if I needed something, be it dirrections around the city or anything regarding the room. Nearly unlimited supply of tea in rooms :P