Reviews of Loughrea Hotel & Spa 4 stars

Galway Road, Loughrea, Ireland

#2 of 5 hotels in Loughrea

Staff was friendly and very accommodating.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The only thing I didn’t absolutely love about this place was the town itself. Not much to do outside of the hotel in the immediate area but only about a half hour drive to Galway City.

Staff was friendly and very accommodating. Extremely clean facilities. Comfortable rooms. Easy room service timing options.

The hotel was comfortable and in a good location. Great value.

The Hotel was in a great location and the dinners were very good. The town is a short walk along with a lake that you can walk around if you like hiking.

Great view if the lake!
    • Standard Twin Room

We were there on an unusually warm day and the rooms did not cool off. The bar area was very warm. Wait staff in the bar were quite slow.

Great view if the lake! Beds were very comfortable, nice size, bathroom was clean. Front desk service was wonderful.

restaurant was nice.

mattress was full of stains. room Ser ice came cold as went to wrong room and ice cream had melted. cleaner left dirty cloths in room.

restaurant was nice.

Bed was very comfortable.

Service in restaurant for evening dining was very slow. Had to request to order as order was not taken after table allocation and reasonable expiration of time. Breakfast involved ordering your hot breakfast at kitchen hatch and was not clear if you should remain at hatch , when I got my breakfast delivered at table it was cold.

Bed was very comfortable. Bedroom and bathroom were fine.

Very friendly staff,very comfortable room and bed.

Unfortunately the hotel had a problem with its plumbing during my stay,no ice in the bar!!!!

Very friendly staff,very comfortable room and bed. Bathroom had a bigger than normal bath,always a bonus in my eyes!!!!

Staff were so friendly and helpful, will definitely be back.
    • Standard Twin Room

We stayed here after the Ed Sheeran concert and the hotel followed up with me twice to offer us a seat on a bus they organised for the concert. Although we ended up driving I really appreciated the fact that they were willing to go the extra mile for something like this.

Staff were nice

For a 4 star facility I was expecting better the deluxe bed is 2 singles pushed together which I found uncomfortable bathroom facilities were also lacking the 4 star quality the lighting was very dull the shower was like 4 hose pipes tied together, the breakfast was overprice in my opinion and swimming in grease and options were poor if you’re not down early enough you will miss out on items,

Staff were nice

Nothing to write home about, but no real complaints.
    • Double Room with Lake View

Food was just average bar food, so we walked away disappointed versus the food choices during the rest of our visit to Ireland.

Room was very modern and well decorated. Rooftop Bar was very nice.

A quiet & spacious room, power shower, nice lake view...
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

A little soft bed wasn't comfy. Some of bar staff were a bit grumpy.

A quiet & spacious room, power shower, nice lake view from the room and location

- Once the cot was finally delivered the staff you very...

- we had to ask for a baby cot 4 times until it was sent to our room - we arrived for breakfast and approached the employees by the bar and where completely ignored. Later we realized another employee had that task but nevertheless when you have 45 guests approaching you..acknowledge them. - Food was good but when collecting the hot breakfast from the cook I realized that the top of the shelve was yellow with grease. Kitchen cleaning standards should be higher. - No water bottles in the room

- Once the cot was finally delivered the staff you very friendly and helpful

Very expensive and not a family hotel

Noisy, Room Service Food Bad - tasted bad and now all of us have stomach bug, No sleep due to band and people talking. 3 year old did not sleep will not be visiting again

We had a small baby of 11wks old with us and we were made feel very welcome

The Bed was so comfortable. The closeness to Galway city was a real bonus for us. Also room service was excellant. We dealtwith Catherine & Ciara on reception eho were both so lovely. Their attitude alone would make us return to this hotel. The staff on breakfast the nxt morning eere very pleasant & helpful. This hotel was fab from start to finish & I will be returning to make use of the spa for my nxt visit.

Clean hotel throughout.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Air-con wasn't great (for any temp cold or hot). Only a small table and 2 seats in a family room!

Clean hotel throughout. Friendly staff. Room was big and had a very nice bathroom.

Nice but disappointed

Some of restaurant staff more the higher ones didn't come accross very friendly or approachable. Booked an extra night got a quote payed for stay over phone before going when I was leaving got informed I wasn't charged enough and needed to pay another €50

A lot of staff was very friendly and helpful. Spa was great and food

Night away.

Breakfast was served in the bar but in saying that it was top class. Full for the day.

The bedroom was huge nd not too hot or cold and the decor was beautiful. The bed was extremely comfortable. Great shower also.

We will be nack but will book a table
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Firstly I booked a family room only a double bed which was quickly sorted but unfortunately a lot of tables in the bar reserved we were waiting ages to get a seat and even longer to get a drink bar a bit in organised

Friendly staff hirls on reception amazing

We had a very pleasant stay.

Location is not the greatest and the view from the room we got was not the best but everything else was great.

Big, comfy bed, pleasant staff, good food, nice SPA and excellent value for the money!!

Would definitely stay here again. Much nicer than the bargain price would lead you to believe. :)

Exceptionally friendly and helpful staff! Great atmosphere and amenities. We especially liked the bar which is clearly a hot spot for both travelers and the locals. Great Spa as well!

A most enjoyable weekend

The view from room was into back of hotel car park. A few nice shrubs could make big difference.

The food was excellent and the music in bar at night was really good. Staff very pleasant and helpful

Very disappointed .

The dinner Menu , sea bass fish very poor , no potato/chips offered , dessert very poor , no proper choice , it was to be shared . Nothing offered for it been Valantines night ! Breakfast served in bar!! Spoke with George I Gara Manager who wasn’t very nice when I complained to him , I’m still waiting for an email from him as he requested it from me. I won’t be going back. Rey

Concert -Al Grants . It was very good.

6.0
    A must see hotel ...... Bar , food staff amazing. Rooms lovely... Beds so comfortable.
    • Standard Twin Room

So far of the main road. Nothing to look at. No views of anything but hotel was amazing. Would like to say one thing, I had gotten a towel that was stained with blood and know this can happen when towels folded and don't see ... room was amazingly clean after that.....

Was beautiful, well looked after, staff were amazing. Was at a wedding and the food came out really quick and was excellent.

I stayed at Loughrea Hotel and Spa with my partner from a...

I stayed at Loughrea Hotel and Spa with my partner from a Friday to Sunday. We really enjoyed our stay, the Staff were very kind and helpful in every way possible. We really enjoyed it and would recommend it to friends.

Staff were excellent. Room didn't live up to expectations, but was adequate. Family had a fun time
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The room that we had was a bit tired, and needs to be upgraded. Very old furniture, a little disappointing.

Very pleasant staff. Lovely breakfast. Good facilities.

Really lovely we will be back again

The furniture in the bedroom could be updated a little bit

The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in The breakfast was really lovely and plenty of it The staff were really lovely

Room was a good size, bed comfy, bar was nice and cosy, had...

Water in bathroom wasnt warm enough , could have a bath was only barely warm enough for a shower, was a buzzing sound in room when u put key in constantly had to take key out to go asleep , which meant we had no electricity in room then bit of a pain

Room was a good size, bed comfy, bar was nice and cosy, had food in it was good and reasonable, Ladies on reception nice and friendly .

Nice hotel

I was very disappointed when we arrived I tried to book a treatment in the spa and there wasn’t 1 available appointment, it was my first time away in a few years without kids, we only went for one night other then that it was a nice hotel.

Food was very nice

Very enjoyable stay with excellent staff

lighting in the room could have been better at the mirrors

The staff were extremely friendly and it wasn't forced with them a great group of people

The foyer was lovely and Christmas decor was nice

It wasn't very clean, I checked 6 milk jugs at breakfast all had something floating in them. Room was weatherd looking, lighting was very poor. Breakfast was only like warm and packed flavor. Crockery didn't march. It was not worth the money and I wouldn't stay again

The foyer was lovely and Christmas decor was nice

The waiting staff require training.

In the bedroom can the small cups and saucers be replaced with mugs - by having mugs No need for saucers - less washing up!

The waiting staff require training. Very poor service in the restaurant- had to wait a very long time for a chef to appear at the service counter in the morning to serve breakfast - food warm not hot

The hotel was lovely clean fresh decor the staff were...

The hotel was lovely clean fresh decor the staff were exceptionally helpful . They brought breakfast too the room at 7am . Very good service highly recommend lough Rea hotel & spa

Wonderful stay!! Awesome trip!
    • Standard Twin Room

Prices for lunch/dinner/drinks could be a little cheaper. They ran out of scones a few times when I ordered them.

Breakfast was great in the morning

Enjoyable stay.

No breakfast included in our booking so did'nt bother having breakfast here as room was expensive enough.

Beautiful hotel and comfortable accomodation.

Very comfortable and welcoming.

We really liked the hotel, but I would say that the best is its staff and their friendly attitude. We weren't able to get a taxi on bankholiday - 30th October - and one of the hotel staff just offered himself to drive us to the working place. No words to describe it!! Simply fantastic!!!

Very disappointing overall, hotel seems more interested in catering for special events.

Can not understand why a spa closes in a hotel at 4.30pm on a Sunday and you can not book in before 3pm, therefore by the time you get to your room, etc. you might as well forget about the spa. Hot buffet for breakfast has no signs whatsoever to indicate what you can order, it's like a guessing game to see what's under the trays. Advise you not to look for a bath in the room as the staff on receiption will ask you if you really need it.

Nothing much to be honest

Nice room, woeful bar service

The bar staff in the residents bar were atrocious. In what was a quiet bar, they went out of their way to avoid serving. Not sure what the objective of the 'go slow' service was, but after a nice night overall, its that horrible experience that will resonate with me moreso. Lousy lousy behaviour and attitude from them.

Very relaxing and the Spa was excellent.

I was amazed not to have safe in my room as I expect this to be automatic requirement in 4 star hotel. I always use it for my keys and valuables while I walk to investigate the ares.

Staff were excellent and friendly at all times. Food was excellent. Situation of the Hotel good for the town and finding the lake walk also good for touring South County Galway.

Friendly staff, nice location, would be very happy to stay here again.

Two single bed put together is a bug bare of mine but in this case you wouldn't notice as much as in others I have stayed in.

Good options for diner and a strong wifi connection.

Really beautiful hotel.

The bar service and restaurant staff in the hotel aren't great. Myself and my boyfriend were a full hour waiting for our dinner. Granted once my boyfriend brought it to the staffs attention they gave us a free drink and were very apologetic.

The staff were very accommodating. I was attending my niece and nephews christening and wanted to check in earlier and reception assured me that I could check in earlier which I could.

Delightful.
    • Standard Twin Room

Overhead light over bed, bulb needed replacing.

Everything. Welcome friendly and informative greeting at check-in. Good value for money with plenty of choices for breakfast. Dinner delicious with a wide variety to choose from at reasonable prices. Rooms spacious with comfortable beds and comfort throughout. Only downside was 1 single bed in corner of room away from a bedside locker and over head light didnt work.

I will go back again,

in room 208 one of two chairs is clearly broken, but has not just fallen apart while we were there, it was not comfortable to sit on not even for five minutes.

there is a lovely roof garden, only open during the summer months, it is now closed Monday to Thursday, open weekends. We spent 4 nights there, and second day was beautiful weather, and reception opened the rood garden for us. It was beautiful.

Overall a lovely night spent.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Breakfast was poor. We arrived at 10:10 and there was barely anything left. They could have cooked more for the late goers

Room very clean, spacious and comfortable. Food was also good.

Ok

I had emailed looking for early check in and told yes yet when I went to check in the I was told repeatedly by the blond receptionist that check in wasn't until 3 even though I informed her I was told they had agreed to let me check in early. Was not impressed as had a 3 year old with me.

Great breakfast the following morning

Nice hotel, friendly staff, room disappointing
    • Standard Twin Room

Window in room was opaque, so couldn't see out. Television in room had very poor reception Toilet flush only half worked At 159 a night, these faults were disappointing

Breakfast was very good

Very shabby not 4 star more like 2
    • Standard Twin Room

Food was not good spa was not what we expected even though girls were very nice and treatments were good. Everything about this hotel is shabby and not very good standard considering it is a 4 star hotel. Will not be going again and would not recommend it to anyone.

Very enjoyable and relaxing

I would have liked to have stayed longer and checked out the Spa it looked fabulous

This hotel was amazing the staff could not do enough to make your stay comfortable. The food was Delicious also

Very comfortable hotel with superb staff!

Good sized rooms, very clean. Best hotel beds ever! Very pleasant and helpful staff. Lovely views of the lough. Roof top garden is a great space to chill out in the evening sun.

Absolutely perfect I just wish we could have stayed longer x

I don't understand the Genius question sorry ,The bed was fab the Wolfe Tones were amazing we had a fantastic night the girl I dealt with on your desk for the tickets was super help full xx

We shall not be returning to Loughrea town

View from room 302 window was onto probably roof of kitchen with loads of pipes Which was noisy from time to time also wedding on and you could hear music ... The town itsel was not good so I shall not be returning... All said --hotel was modern and clean but nothing in the town

no swimming pool .no hot water and 1girl was roud

Read above

Stayed in 314 was at my cousins wedding my mother ask 1of the staff girls for an extra chair and the girl was very roud when she came back the girl she was crying but did apologies was no hot water to wash fresh.n up the next morning and I thought there would of been a swimming pool myself and 2year old were not happy did say hotel and spa /spa was closed when I went down about 3o'clock the galway game was on not sure of time

Bed was lovely and comfortable.

As the night we stayed clashed with the Galway races we felt the room rate was slightly overpriced at €204/ night.

Bed was lovely and comfortable. I think it was a super king! The shower in the bathroom was a rain fall style shower head and really easy to operate.

Very disapointing

Breakfast was cold and hard. We were down early. Toaster did not work had to put the bread in 3 and 4 times. No hot water in the shower. Electricity did go at around 9.30 9.45. Receptionist said it went before that but we were up until 6.30 am with the wedding party and I had a shower at 7.15 so no electricity went bwf9rw 9.30am. Room was very expensive at €179 not the wedding rate and the day before we had to pay extra online for breakfast. Overall very disappointed in our stay.

We were there for a wedding fantastic day and service.

Truly 4-star quality

Due to our travel plans we only got to stay for one night!

Staff were fantastic, especially at check in. Lovely view of the lake.Restaurant and bar were great, menu options were very good and breakfast was excellent. The room facilities had everything including air con ... which really helped during the hot and humid weather. Over the course of our holiday we stayed in four different hotels in the Loughrea, Galway & Killaloe area ... this was the best by a long shot.

A relaxing and comfortable stay.

The restaurant closes at 9.30pm which is not great if you work at night. The pictures that the hotel chose to represent the room that I booked on Booking.com weren't fully accurate (they did resolve this when I arrived to my satisfaction).

The staff on Reception were very accomodating and went out of their way to solve an issue with the booking. We had an Executive Triple room which was approximately 7ft longer than the other rooms on the same floor that I was shown. The pillows were fantastic (very plump) and the beds large and comfortable. As we were there working the staff arranged for another chair for us to use when working in the room. There was a lovely view across to the lake. I made use of the spa when there and can recommend the treatments, a pleasurable experience. The food in the restaurant was generally good (particularly the seafood chowder) but there were only 5 or 6 choices in each section. There's an Aldi & a SuperValue Supermarket next to the hotel and it's about a 10 minute stroll into the town centre.

Bed was comfortable, but, pillow was far to big for pillow...
    • Standard Twin Room

There was an unpleasant odour in the lift as if some strong cleaning agent sprayed there. The hot breakfast plate served from kitchen was not up to hotel stamdard ~ sausage was very dark brown and looked as if it had been painted and left to dry for a couple of days under a dry heat.

Bed was comfortable, but, pillow was far to big for pillow case ~ which I removed and placed on top of pillow to make it lower and more suitable for neck and spine alignment. Evening meal in Grill bar was good and staff friendly.

Great stopover on tour of Ireland

Wrong address on Booking.com meant wasted time driving around looking for hotel!

Clean, modern room. Friendly staff. Food in bar was of a high standard, as was breakfast. Good value for money.

A Poor stay at the Loughrea

The Hotel was too busy with Wedding Parties and Birthday groups, The hotel seemed to be too interested in catering for Weddings/Birthdays rather than its normal paying guests. The only bars in the hotel were overrun by the Wedding party and the sky bar had a Birthday party on going. The Spa was a joke, even as a paying guest in the hotel you have to pay extra to use the overcrowded Jacuzzi/Sauna and Steam room, to get from your rooms you have to walk through the bar/restaurant which isn't ideal when your in your bathrobes, failing that you can walk outside! staff in the restaurant were terrible and food was pretty average. Overall a pretty poor stay and would try elsewhere next time.

The room was modern, clean and tidy

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Beautiful hotel in a fantastic little town

The cocktails in the bar were so delicious and you get a lot in them. Our room was massive and beautifully decorated with everything we could need and more. The staff were all friendly and attentive. The spa was fantastic! Loughrea itself has a good few restaurants and bars and is lovely to walk around. Such a pretty area.

Relaxing overnight stay.

I was unaware there would be an additional charge of e15 pp for use of the thermal spa area.

Bed very comfy and the room was lovely and quiet. Staff super friendly. And the complimentary birthday brownie was a lovely touch :)

awesome
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Long time between serving courses at wedding

We loved the brightness,spacious airy room was lovely and big and we loved the balcony pity there was no table or chairs out there only downside was we attended a wedding and found the time from when we ordered to getting dessert was so so long tbhe speeches had a little to do with that over all we are coming back

Wedding in a palace.

There was nothing not to like.

The staff where so kind and very sociable, they were extremely helpful as well. The hotel it self was so clean and spacious. I loved the fact that the hotel rang me a week before hand to ask if we needed anything on arrival.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

Comfy bed

Kept up with a very late running party that we had no prior warning of. Staff did nothing to help, said they would send us some vouchers as compensation and then didn't.

Comfy bed

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

Nice clean hotel in good location

The hotel guests do not seem to get as much attention as the casual diners or the people attending the functions. The hotel should consider a separate bar area for residents only

Nice staff, clean rooms

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Grand!

The receptionist offered a camp bed for the third guest who I had booked in and ended up being quite argumentative with me when I didn't agree with that. Not a nice attitude for front of house.

The beds were comfy. The breakfast was nice!

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

Comfy bed lovely roof top bar friendly helpful staff

Only thing with breakfast had to go looking for someone to get tea and then again to fill milk jug. Otherwise breakfast was delicious and plenty of choice.

Comfy bed lovely roof top bar friendly helpful staff

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

Nice but not sure it was value for money

Noisy room on top floor which was a shame. Couldn't sleep properly as between the air vent and what sounded like a busy room full of people kept waking me up. It was like a function was on directly outside our room. TV reception was hazy for the national channels but movie channel was ok

Bed was really good size and comfortable. Bathroom was lovely too. Staff were really friendly and enthusiastic to help.

couples break

the only thing I could fault was the speed of the service form the waitresses, they were slow to take our order and slow to give us the bill and take the bill.

The hotel was lovely and the staff were very obliging, we contacted staff before we arrived to ask if there was a mini fridge in our room( we wanted to keep a few drinks for the room cold) and we were told that they could put one in the room for us, this was brilliant! we also went to the spa and it was lovely. the hotel was clean and the room was nice and big.This hotel would also be perfect if there was a swimming pool. very happy customers over all and we would defiantly recommend it and come back for another visit :)

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

Comfy bed but dated decor

Rooms are very dated and dark. Paint flaking from the walls etc and bathroom was difficult to see what you're doing-very difficult to bath a baby when the lighting is poor!

Staff were lovely-couldn't do enough for us

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

Legendary Lough Rea Hotel and Spa

The room was outrageous. The kingsize bed was the comfiest bed either of us have EVER been in, the pillows were just legendary, the shower would blow you across the room with the power in it and the staff were above and beyond fantastic. I requested a quiet room and a quiet room is exactly what we got. We went to bed around 1am and didn't wake up until 12pm :-o We didn't hear a sound. Best nights sleep I've had so far in 2017. I love this hotel!

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

A relaxing day and night away

The only thing we didnt like was we couldnt get to the spa area without going through the bar or outside.

We had a very enjoyable day and night, food was excellent, staff was lovely and friendly and very helpful with any requests that was asked of them.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

Nice Short Stay

The receptionist was not as welcoming as she could have been.

The bar and restaurant staff were really really nice and made the stay really enjoyable. Location is nice. Beds were absolutely amazing.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

New years eve treat#######

Noting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I adore this place,, i stayed there a number of years ago and was disappointed however it is now under new ownership,, great prices in the restaurant, lovely food in the bar fine spacious rooms, lovely decor, love the foyer most welcoming above all it would mean nothing without the wonderful staff. Home from home,,

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

Value

Town a bit run down alot of pubs and shops closed down hotel is located across the road from a ghost estate

Hotel staff and facilities very good ..food very good value

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

Xmas stay in Loughrea

The breakfast was cold which took from the good food that was well cooked, there was no security staff at the dancing event which was quite crowded to deal with a large group of customers who eurupted at the bar and the staff were unable to control.

The room was very nice and bed very comfy, the evening meal was delicious and very relaxed in the front bar. overall a lovely hotel with pleasant and helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

Great nights sleep...

The restaurant both in the evening and at breakfast is rather noisy The decor of the hotel is really stylish and smart- great wallpaper, soft furnishings, light fittings etc. So its really unfortunate that the wooden furniture is now looking worn. A real shame they don't use table cloths at both breakfast and evening meals to keep the luxurious feel- the bare tables are rather sticky and a little chipped and drop the standard. The drinks glasses from the bar are also scratched and worn. Prepare for a really long queue at 10am on Sundays for breakfast. I didn't have long enough to wait so a bowl of cereal and a banana proved rather expensive.

Super comfy beds. The 'quiet' rooms were indeed beautifully quiet and with great black out curtains, a sound sleep was guaranteed. Fantastic live music on the Saturday evening. Love the decor of the lobby, reception and restaurant. Reception staff super efficient.