Reviews of Ma Dwyer's Guest Accommodation 3 stars

Dublin Road, Navan, Ireland

#6 of 13 hotels in Navan

• Reviewed: 12 October 2018

Excellent value, great location, and exceptionally warm and helpful hostess and staff!

The building was modernized and quite sparse on charm; however, this did not affect our stay in the least as the folks there were just lovely.

Our hostess, Amy, was exceptionally warm and helpful. The building itself lacks character, but she and her staff made up for that many times over. The room was large, comfortable, and had everything we needed. The breakfasts were made to order, fresh, served hot, and delicious (ask for Amy's special omelette!). We wanted a place close to the Boyne valley that provided easy access to Dublin airport. This was the perfect choice!

• Reviewed: 4 October 2018

Adequate, but nothing special.

Ma Dwyers is reminiscent of a Holiday Inn Express in the U.S., i.e. adequate, but nothing exceptional. The shining point was the friendly staff, who cheerfully provided advice for local attractions. Breakfast was quite nice.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

Comfortable, clean and pleasant stay!
    • Double and Single Room

There was nothing we didn't like.

Attended a wedding in Boyne Hill House Estate. Stayed in Ma Dwyers that night. Ideally located for this. Only 4 mins by taxi to/from the wedding.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2018

Good B&B

Was at a wedding in the close by hotel, so this place is ideal with a 3 minute walk. Nice bedroom, very quick check in and out. Didnt get a chance to try the breakfast.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Breakfast was lovely!
    • Double and Single Room

Our room was the one near the reception and we found that a little bit noisy as some guests don't really bothered keeping the volume low. Not something the owners can really control.

Breakfast was lovely! Staff very friendly

Fine for stopover during travel

We were left waiting at check in for more than 20 minutes without any staff member around. Also, the road noise was very loud all night.

Staff when they appeared were nice. Shower was great, very good water pressure. Breakfast was also very good.

MaDwyers is Brilliant, I would definitely recommend.

The staff were very friendly, the location was very central,the rooms were very clean & all the facilities we needed.The breakfast was excellent very tasty & plentiful I could find no fault at all with Ma Dwyers & would have no hesitation recommending it to anyone,excellent.

Staff were lovely, friendly and helpful.
    • Double and Single Room

Noise (loudly talking/laughing/tipsy people) on 2 nights due to other thoughtless guest, at 2 and 3am. Doors in corridors and rooms can slam loudly too if people aren't mindful....which they aren't when tipsy. Not the fault of the guesthouse but more signage encouraging silence late at night may help? Also, just a polite suggestion, more obvious signage outside could help when approaching as trees block it until the last minute which wasn't great on the busy road. Would stay again without hesitation.

Staff were lovely, friendly and helpful. Beds were lovely and comfy which was a relief as we both have back problems & can dread a bad mattresses.

Friendliness cleanness building and
    • Double and Single Room

Old lady serving breakfast on her own and operating the business on her own. I imagine Ma Dwyer herself???? A little more help or maybe she not want it.!!!!No beans no hash brown and maybe a jumbo sausage instead of the normal. Egg hard but option to ask not offered.

Friendliness cleanness building and rooms

A sweet independent place to stay with good quality rooms and service for a very fair price.

The walls are a bit thin so you do hear your neighbours but not enough to ruin your experience in the grand scheme of things. Windows did not have net curtains and as my room was road facing...I had to remember to draw them when I was changing. Other than that, I really had no complaints.

Ma Dwyers is really a little gem of a place to stay! The location was very straightforward to get to from Dublin Airport. I travelled on the 109A bus and got off at the Ardboyne Hotel stop; a 5/6mins walk from the guesthouse. My room was spacious and cosy, with lovely decor, reflected throughout the guesthouse. Breakfast was very good, there was a nice range of cereals, fruit, yoghurt, and juices available at a self-serve bar. Hot food could be ordered from the menu. There was one morning where many guests were down at the same time for breakfast but the staff was still very attentive and efficient, despite it being busy. And if you were in need of any help and advice, it was freely given by any of the staff and owner. If you are looking for a nice, fuss-free and inexpensive place to stay, I would highly recommend Ma Dwyers. And if I am ever back in Navan, I would definitely stay again.

Relaxing with memorable food and lovely kind staff

Ma Dwyers is everything you would wish for I just don’t like Nescafé coffee 🤗

Rooms are very spacious beds are very comfy. Food is excellent and the staff are lovely and can’t do enough to help. The amount of car parking is far better than you could imagine. This really is a very well run guest house and you feel right at home. It is great for commuting to other areas also. We would definitely recommend The Gate in Navan High Street for lunch or afternoon snacks. Unfortunately we did not feel the same about The Willows Chinese Restaurant as that was very tasteless.

It served a purpose, but would not choose to stay again

Beds were not very comfortable, shower leaked, no extras with coffee making facilities, no food or drink allowed in room, my mother had a window that overlooked a brick wall, which was not very pleasant, and on noisy main road

It was adequate, fairly comfortable, but nothing special, however staff seemed friendly and we were not rushed out

A great stay, would reccommend it
    • Double and Single Room

A minor one but needs to be considered if you have mobility problems. The door to the toilet in our room was too close to the pan and made it difficult to get in and out.

Close to town, Large room, great breakfast, particularly the refreshing fresh fruit salad, Staff were always available when wanted,

Safe/Secure family friendly bed and breakfast.

The accommodation was bright and airy. The room super spacious and the staff were very friendly yet professional. I could not recommend this accommodation highly enough.

Traditional Irish experience

The location was great. The staff were very friendly and catered for all our needs. The rooms were very clean and the breakfast was outstanding. We were in Ireland for a family wedding but will definitely consider returning to Ma Dwyer’s should we be in the area again.

very comfortable stay and great location

When I was booking in the staff member offered to make me something to eat very early the next morning as i had to leave early and was going to miss breakfast.

Comfortable and relaxing stay
    • Double and Single Room

Room was very pricey for a single but I guess that was just the time if year

Very comfy bed. Delicious breakfast. Staff were very friendly and welcoming

Value for money

I couldn't get the TV in my room to work.

The room was clean. I It is a purpose built Bed and Breakfast so I didn't feel like I was having breakfast in someones living room. Breakfast was very good. There is a buffet and a good choice of cooked options on offer. The B and B is walking distance fr9m the main square in Navan.

Comfy and good value for money

There was nothing that I didn't like, could not fault it

The room was large with a lovely en-suite. bed was comfy, breakfast was plentiful and delicious. Ample parking and easy to locate. Within walkng distance from the town

Good value & comfortable.

We like to have a snack and glass of wine in our room while relaxing after a long day. "No smoking, eating or alchohol" policy was a bit intimidating.

Comfortable, clean, good breakfast, lots of parking.

No sleep!!!!
    • Double and Single Room

Although they rang us twice to confirm the booking and twice I told them I'm traveling with child our room was right next to main door and reception desk. 3 a clock at night drunk couple where knocking our door looking for someone who works in the premises. Phone rang constantly with noone answering it. From 3 to 5 in the morning there was plenty of drunk people talking loudly in the reception area so we got no sleep!!!!!

Comfy room and beds and a great Irish breakfast

The smoking area (I am a smoker) was a tiny cubby hole. But it was covered so the rain ( it was a soft morning) did not bother us.

My son and I just made the reservation online minutes prior to showing up and we were accommodated. At first Ma said she may have double booked us, but we were first so we got a nice room with a street view. We asked later about the double booking and Ma told us everything went perfectly.

Nice, convenient, friendly

TV was not working although it was late at night when i noticed so I did not request it to be fixed. I had specifically requested a vegan breakfast on booking but wasn't catered for which was quite disappointing. That being said there was a nice variety of fruit / fruit salad on offer.

Excellent location, nice big room

I liked the bedroom size and the view from the room.

I'm awaiting for your hip surgery, would have been easier with a bedroom on the level, as I use a crutch to get about.

I liked the bedroom size and the view from the room.

Good facility. Bad breakfast. Not good value

Only one staff member cooking and serving busy breakfast room and staff member so busy got breakfast order wrong food over cooked just not acceptable

Completely understaffed at breakfast. We waited for 45 minutes for breakfast as only one person serving and cooking. Food over cooked. Very disappointed. Not good value for money

Good

Paper thin walls and hearing people in next room talking loudly. Doors slamming late at night. Bit of a wait at reception. No food or drink in room.

Excellent choices for breakfast, efficient service, onsite parking, easy to find,

A nice place to stay within walking distance of where I needed to go.

Easy to find and well located. Beds were very comfortable, showers were excellent. A modern, bright guesthouse with a spacious breakfast room. Staff were very friendly & helpful.

Helpful one staff member but needed more help especially at breakfast too much for one person to do

Smell of cooking breakfast in bed room ..beside a main road could be noisy if given front room. Only one member of Staff at breakfast trying to do everything.

Very Helpful staff member .

Worth the stay

Friendly, beautifully clean with a great breakfast. Spacious room with comfortable bed. It was quiet with a big lounge for guests, off-street parking and a convenient location.

Breakfast was lovely Staff really friendly

It is a really small thing but a guide for the tv would be great - 2 remotes and no instruction - really small thing but the only improvement I can think of

Breakfast was lovely Staff really friendly

Quiet, clean and welcoming.

The weather was pants.

The host was stonking and made me feel welcome. The accommodation was quiet comfortable and clean. Great location close to the town,, with ample parking.

Value for money in good location

I was disturbed by the noise from the room next door rooms ensuite bathroom the walls weren’t particularly sound insulated

Flexible check in, clean and nicely proportioned rooms, helpful friendly staff . Good breakfast available.

Very enjoyable
    • Double and Single Room

Two bath towels in a triple room?

We were late up for breakfast, but the landlady very kindly cooked food for the three of us. Much appreciated. She also organised taxis for us which was a great help.

I arrived very late - after 11pm which could't be...

I arrived very late - after 11pm which could't be avoidedm while I had rang to say I'd be late I was still very appreciative at that time of night at a B&B as opposed to an hotel that this was catered for,

Comfortable stay, easy walk into town centre

Signs in room saying no food or drink. Personally I enjoy having a drink in room when I’m on a night away with my partner.

Nice river walk into navan. Comfortable bed and easy parking.

Only stayed one night to attend a wedding close by.

My wife likes to have an extra pillow or two but there were none available in the room and i reckon it was too late (1:30am) to contact reception. I later found out that my son's room next door had plenty of extra pillows. Very minor gripe in that the wardrobe area had a loose piece of panelling that could easily have been sorted with some wood glue.

Friendly staff, very accessible location as close to motorway, clean and good food.

Adequate for one night stay, would go back if stuck.

Strong musty smell in en suite bathroom. Mattress uncomfortable. Storage area let the overall bedroom rating down.

Choice of cooked breakfasts. Spacious room that could fit a king bed.

disappointing after reading positive reviews

the welcome wasn't what we would call warm. sure, there are things to get done but when you're dealing with a guest,there should be at least a reasonable standard. i was expecting a top breakfast, however a lot of the items in the irish breakfast were pre-cooked, so when reheated they were dry and not particularly appetising. the selection of juices and cereals was reasonable. not great value for the price. i would prefer an option without breakfast, and walk into town and have breakfast in one of the cafes, like checkovs.

the bed was comfortable and easy to rest.

Needs to be improved for the money charged but the breakfast was great!

There was a tiny window in the bedroom with non see through glass up high on the wall so it felt a bit prison like with no natural light. The walls were very thin so you could hear everyone in the rooms next door & above. There were signs everywhere saying things like, ‘Mind the wall’s’ & ‘No food or drink allowed in the rooms’ - I’ve never seen signs such as this in a hotel or b&b that charges going rates....

It was very clean & the breakfast was great. There was a big choice from a menu & it was lovely.

A large property and quiet and well run.

No problems.

Mrs. Dwyer was friendly and helpful. The room was large and very clean and the bed comfortable.WiFi and TV and en suite good. Breakfast was delicious.

The Place to stay in Navan!

Property was bright, clean and very well maintained. Dining area well laid out, bedrooms very comfortable and shower was wonderful. Parking was free and plenty of spaces available.

Very good place to stay if your in Holy Orders. If not then find somewhere else.

A bar. Alcohol is not available and there is no restaurant which meant a 15 minute walk in the pouring rain to find a pint of guinness! Accommodation without alcohol in Ireland -it beggars belief.

The beds. I need a large double bed due to both my shoulders being knackered by Army parachuting. I got the bed that allowed me to get a nights sleep.

Lovely Band B ,,,,,need a decent coffee to make Excellent
    • Double and Single Room

Breakfast had to be over at 10 ,,,this didnt suit us ,,we had been out late but other than that very good

Lovely Band B ,,,,,need a decent coffee to make Excellent

No complaints-----whatsoever!!

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend - When I arrived the front of the property was being "spruced-up" with a pressure wash. Everywhere was clean & well decorated. Staff cheerful & efficient. Didn't sample the food as I left before breakfast, but the dining/breakfast room was clean , tidy & well presented.

Great place - nicely decorated and very clean

We did not find a decent place for dinner near the B&B; we spent too much time driving around in search of a place to eat.

Staff was very nice and helpful, they carried out suite cases to our room. Check in was fast and easy. Breakfast was real tasty with fresh products.

Lovely room and ensuite , good breakfast menu

Didn't find the staff friendly at all , at breakfast we were left waiting for a menu then left without toast and got 1 pot of tea between 4 of us

Lovely room and ensuite , good breakfast menu

We had a two night stay in a very comfortable modern spotlessly clean property

Actually there was nothing about this property that I didn't like

The room was lovely spotlessly clean and the selection for breakfast was excellent

The room was clean and comfortable.

Make sure you know how to get to the facility. We were lost and called and the staff was not able to tell us how to get to the property. They should know where they are located and how to get to the property since they are a place of lodging.

The room was clean and comfortable. The location was great and is about 20-25 minutes to Newgrange. The breakfast was yummy and made to order.

Excellent accommodation - recommend this accommodationto all travellers.

Everything was great. Bed was comfortable and we slept well. Manager was very helpful and very approachable. Breakfast was excellent. Would recommend place to everyone.

A nice enough place to stay for a night.

The location is a little outside town, perhaps, 10-15 minutes and the staff were a little unfriendly.

The rooms were comfortable and clean, the Irish breakfast was nice. Juice and fresh ground coffee were provided.

Beds were extremely comfortable and the room selflessly...

Beds were extremely comfortable and the room selflessly clean. Breakfast was lovely and the staff were very friendly. The property was in the perfect location.

Highly recommend
    • Double and Single Room

Only fault if you could call it a fault is i would have liked more pillows on the bed.

It was clean and comfortable and located five minutes from town

Very pleasurable

I wasn't able to switch television channels but I put that down to my gadget failings. I know I could have got assistance but I was late home after meeting with friends and I wouldn't disturb the owners.

I didn't have the croissants, Room very comfortable. Freshly cooked breakfast, Fast service.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

Large room, with 2 large beds, good breakfast

The hotel is along the highway, our room Windows were on the highway side and not properly soundproof, so noisy even during the night. Good all the rest

Large room, with 2 large beds, good breakfast

Would book again

The lady owner of the b+b wasn't the friendliest person, our arrival was dealt with abruptly -there was no chit chat!

The property was in a good location, our room was spacious and very clean and food value for money. There was a good choice of food for breakfast .

Lovely place, would recommend but with some reservations at breakfast time.

The breakfast was a bit disappointing with some items "charred", there was no fat free yogurt option and unfortunately it was served by a gentleman who hardly spoke, seemed very abrupt and didn't leave a great impression.

Overall very positive, great location, plenty of free parking and comfortable bright room.

Rubbish wifi was not on!

Rubbish Wifi, more off than on. Didn't like the coffee or thin brown bread for breakfast. Also would have appreciated more local knowledge, maps or where to find this knowledge especially as no wifi on first night (or third)!

Nice large room

Great place to stay

Staff were friendly. Room was lovely. Breakfast was fantastic. Nice and quite at night when compared to many local hotels hence a good night's sleep.

It has been alright for my purpose.

The atmosphere in this bed and breakfast place hadn't been familiar at all. The staff had been quite reserved and seemed to change very often. Breakfast was okay concerning the cereal and the fruits but there hadn't been a lot of variety what hot meals concerned. In my room the furniture and the bathroom could have needed a renovation. The place is unfortunately to far away from Navan center.

I liked the possibility to get around very quickly to other places I'd like to go.

i found the hostess very helpfull as i was travelling alone...

i found the hostess very helpfull as i was travelling alone and by public transport she was very helpfull ,a very clean comfortable house ,i would certanly stay there again .

Great place to stay and will return

Wifi in the room wasn't good had to go in the reception area. Lights in our room were very dim.

the breakfast was fantastic and a variety to choose from. Staff were so helpful and friendly. Lots of parking. It was quiet and close to the town

Very pleasent, welcoming stay,

I could not say i found anything i didnt like..

We were made feel very welcome, the Room was very clean, tea & coffee making facility provided, tv & a lovely shower ensuite room..

Excellence accommodation, great value for money
    • Double and Single Room

Room was lovely and clean, very spacious! Woman on the front desks was lovely and breakfast was very nice! Would definitely stay again! Very well priced for the quiality of the accommodation!

Everything was great and the staff were very accommodating...

A

Everything was great and the staff were very accommodating for us and our one year old. They made travelling wit a baby easier as they were so helpful

Relaxing and beautiful

Nothing really this B & B is what every customer is looking for now days

Everything was perfect so Comfortable with all the Trimings of a 5 star hotel

Comfortable clean & convenient.

Very clean and comfortable bedroom. Lovely modern bathroom with a hot powerful shower. The lady working there was friendly and helpful. Tasty breakfast. Everything you need from a b & b.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

Wonderful accommodations

The wifi in our rooms didn't work.

The rooms were clean; beds were comfortable; the food was delicious; the manager was very helpful and accommodating.

Nice accomodations
    • Double and Single Room

The hall where our room was located had wooden floors, so noise carried very easily especially at 4 in the morning.

This property felt more like a small hotel then a bed and breakfast. The woman that checked us in a served breakfast was very friendly. Breakfast was good with a variety of options. Everything was clean and comfortable. The room was spacious especially considering we had a triple. It was an easy walk into town center with shopping and many options for eating and some live music.

Ok for one night

Breakfast was slow

This is a property that appears to be popular with business people and certainly gives that feeling. Much like a Travelodge rather than a friendly Irish b&b. Room was fine. Good size shower. Plenty of parking. Possibly wwalk to centre of town.

FANTASTIC 100%

On the occasions we have stayed there we have always , had a problem trying to get the televisions to work, in our room.

We have stayed here before, that's why we returned. Everything fantastic. In walking distance to local town. Would highly recommend this Property. Look forward to staying there again.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Avoid room 26

In room 26 the noise of an electronic pump came on and turned off at irregular intervals throughout the entire night, causing us to have a sleepless night. That was in spite of wearing earplugs. Simply awful.

Staff in the dinning room was very friendly.

We booked the room back in Nov 2016 and were quoted a price. My sister and friends also booked it the same time and we were all quoted the same price. When we arrive we were been charged 10.00 more than what we were quoted online. I was the only one who had the email confirmation from booking.com to prove how much I was quoted but the others got txt messages of the confirmation and deleted them. They had to pay the extra 10.00 which I thought was really bad service. They had their confirmation references number so this should have been enough. I was glad I printed off the email with the price on it or I would of had to pay the extra 10.00 also.

Staff in the dinning room was very friendly. Room was almost ready when we arrived lady just had to hover and we were sorted. Plus we arrived before 2 o'clock so we were very happy with that.

Luxury B&B accommodation in Navan, if you can find it.

Address given only as "Dublin Road, Navan" which did not allow Sat Nav to help. Property not easy to find. More specific directions on Booking.com (house number? co-ordinates? cross roads nearby?) needed.

Comfortable, modern well furnished room with excellent shower. Helpful staff. Early cooked breakfast which allowed us to get off to the airport in time. Good food for evening meal on Sunday night available at a popular hotel close by (5 minutes walk).

good value

We were at a wedding in Slane and would have liked the breakfast a little later the following morning.

It was easy to find and quiet and we arrived early and our room was ready so we could change our clothes after our long journey before we went to the wedding . We did not have a view from our room but it was lovely and quiet so we had a good night sleep.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

Good value for money
    • Double and Single Room

No hairdryer in the room and the reception wasn't always staffed to ask for one Continental breakfast has a nice choice but cooked breakfast could be improved

Free parking Good size clean room and clean modern bathroom Free wifi in rooms