Reviews of Maldron Hotel, Newlands Cross 3 stars

#5 of 8 hotels in Clondalkin

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Clean and tidy room.
    • Classic Quadruple Room

On check in we clarified if any additional payments were required as we ordered breakfast. We were told no. Also we did the same on checking out. Several days after going home I received a telephone call asking for payment. We had the breakfast so fine. But I pointed out that we asked for any charges on checkout. The person I spoke to blamed a new member of staff. Which I thought was poor and doesn't explain the same information given by a different member of staff on check in. No reduction in cost for breakfast for a child as in other hotels. Also, family room for four but only two towels.

Clean and tidy room. The selection at breakfast was very good.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

The staff was super friendly And my room was very nice.

My overall payment was about $50 more than booking.com said it would be and I was not happy about that. My television never picked up more than one channel my entire stay

The staff was super friendly And my room was very nice.

large hotel on outskirts of dublin

long way from the centre of dublin. quite noisy on some evenings, slow checking and check out ( not enough staff on reception)

large hotel set up to deal with coach parties, good food, free parking, v close to aldi and a selection of restaurants and cafes

Very good selection at breakfast
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

On checking in ,I expressed an interest in having breakfast and evening meal.I payed for breakfast €12 but was not made aware of an offer which I saw in lift afterwards of breakfast + evening meal for €29.We had our evening meal in restaurant which cost us €72 for 3 people.We already had paid €36 for our breakfast!€72 + €36= €108 versus €29 by 3 = €87! We should have been informed of this offer on checking in when we expressed an interest in having evening meal and breakfast.

Very good selection at breakfast

The staff on reception were particularly helpful, which is...

Bar food was disappointing in quality and not value for money.

The staff on reception were particularly helpful, which is nice after a long journey and you're tired! The room was great as usual and it was nice to see the upgrades to the decor in Reception and the Bar / Restaurant too.

The good and the not so good....

Shower had not been cleaned, razor left behind by previous guest. Table surface (desk) sticky, obviously not washed after previous guest

Proximity to Dublin, sightseeing, motorway and airport

Handy place to stay, if you can't find something better.
    • Classic Quadruple Room

Family room too small. Runners on beds were dirty. 82 year old mother was locked in the bathroom due to a faulty lock when we first arrived. Bar man Ray definitely wasn't a ray of sunshine. Meal choice quite limited and overpriced.

Proximity to Dublin city, port and friends. Waiting staff were pleasant, as was young lady on reception on check-in. Breakfast choice and quality excellent.

Avoid if possible

Food was very mediocre and is served in a restaurant with an open kitchen where you feel more in boarding school than a restaurant. The rooms need some serious TLC and in my room there weren't even large towels (which of course I only found out when leaving the shower ...).

Nothing really.

Very comfortable! We arrived early for check in an our room wasn’t ready but the receptionist figured something out and got us a room. I was very grateful! Would definitely recommend. Great parking and easy access to Dublin. Super market is close by as well.

My impression of the front desk was great when I checked in...

My impression of the front desk was great when I checked in while the reverse was true when I checked out one night earlier due to multiple flight schedule, although I explained the situation at the front desk ,they refused to refund me !!! Advising to get my money back from booking .com !!!! I clearly explained to them that I paid the seven nights by credit card as I was trusting them to refund me at any earlier check up ,in particular for out of hand reason ( flight schedule)!!!!!.After long long debate I realized that their concerns are commission of one night !!!! Finally they refunded me after I promised them my intention to contact booking .com !!! For one night commission Meldron lost credabilty to me.

Great short stay

Nothing really

The newly renovated rooms are stylish and comfortable!The family rooms are quite big.The lobby and bar area are gorgeous!The location.is great.10 min drive to city with free and plenty of parking is great.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

It was pleasant. Oh one more thing, if they could get a normal sized trolley for transporting bags.

Little refrigerator in the room. Even an empty one or some bottles of water inside perhaps.

One of the reception staff Inesa, was exceptionally nice and extremely helpful even before I arrived at the hotel at all! Finding me a quiet room etc on the phone when booking. Was even lovelier on meeting her. Would that staff in other areas of hospitality were as ‘human’ and professional as this girl😀

nice stay

It is looking a little bit tired in places but not enough to make it a problem yet

It was clean and had everything that I wanted. The food was good Lots of parking

beds were good just keep you things safe and with at all times

staff as they stole my sister charger and lied about that. when I asked them they said it may have been the cleaning lady when looking at CCTV and then were giving me temporily charger wire what you cannot belive was the actual charger as my sister marked the charger with nail polish and it had the same color on the adapter and wire what they gave me from their safety box apprantly. I was fuming with what they have done on the first night there. next day they said its not any staff and that for fire saftey a manager has taken only her wire as the fire alram went off in the middle of the evening and was for her room from 267 rooms just her rooms.

bedrooms were really nice and beds were comfy

Well located, with nice rooms and provided good base for business trip.

WiFi in throughout the hotel was very poor in terms of speed. Pedestrian crossing beeping next to hotel all through night. Whilst outside hotel the noise was quite intrusive. Waiting staff in bar were polite, but weren’t to attentive or engaged.

USB ports on all electric sockets and bedside tables. Room was also reasonably spacious.

In need of a face lift.

This Hotel is in need of a face lift, the carpets were worn and fraied, the couch in our bed room need to be cleaned or thrown out. chairs much the same. Beds small and hard.

The breakfast was good. Reception area was looking better than up stairs. Bar and cafe looked good.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Enjoyed will be back

Would love I nice smoking area I know it’s not PC but as acustomer this I would love rather than loiter at front door Oh found I couldn’t get great tv reception all the time but WiFi was excellent

Staff Philip at reception very helpful and courteous and even. The call prior to booking in the staff were lovely , Food good and the room very spacious was staying for work purpose so slept well

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Great family friendly hotel for a short stop over

Friendly, comfortable, clean, excellent value hotel. We had one night mid travels and this really fit the bill - super family friendly and perfect for what we were looking for.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Room was clean and comfortable
    • Superior Family Room

Check in & check out was very busy, a long wait. Not enough staff. Staff that were there seemed to work very long hours, so I'm sure were tired, and therefore not very helpful when asking for assistance.

Room was clean and comfortable

At least the taxi booking was on time at 5am.

We asked for a wake up call at 4.15am that never arrived, luckily I woke up otherwise we would have missed our flight to London, Also the hotel we miles from the airport which has cost nearly 90 pounds in taxi fairs, I thought we had booked the hotel with the same name at the airport.

Meals

• Superior Family Room

Was more expensive than usual, probs down to it being summer holidays??

Location. My ex lives in Ireland and she has my Son for summer so I have a day over picking him up Staff on the reception are always pleasant and helpful1

Refurbished rooms are lovely.
    • Standard Family Room

Rooms that haven't been refurbished yet aren't the best. Pizza recipe for late night deal needs looked at, wasn't nice at all.

Refurbished rooms are lovely.

The room was dirty, the soap dispenser in the shower had been ripped off the wall and not replaced and the drains in the bathroom smelled bad. The drain in the sink did not drain properly.

The room was a good size and the beds were very comfortable.

Please get it together
    • Standard Family Room

We say in the Maldron every time we say in Dublin. We just found it was a bit run down tv didn't work and the shower was broken, in my years saying there this was never the case

The staff at the bar restaurant are great

Ok

Room was ok basic not anything special the hairdryer didn’t work or there was no extra pillows or the bed was very small

Not much really it was ok the room not up to my standard really for the price I payed

We enjoyed our stay

The lift broke down on Saturday night and wasn't fixed up to 11am on Sunday. There were alot of wheelchair users also in the hotel

Spacious room with everything we needed

An Ok place if you are a bit desperate.

Check in could be improved, it was so cold and impersonal.

This hotel is a convenient factory. If you like basic, reasonably clean, potentially convenient and absolutely no atmosphere or character it is ok. It is enormous. Having said that I was glad to get it as there was not much else available in Dublin.

Central to Liffey valley shopping center & luas stop.

Had 2 rooms , one bathroom absolutely smelled of urine. Empty vodka bottle on the floor beside bed. Very basic. Rooms were freezing didn’t have aircon or heating ... tv remotes wouldn’t work at all batteries gone in both rooms. Rang reception they bought up only 2 new ones for both rooms. Asked for a safety pin at reception in morning didn’t have one ? Strange they didn’t have any sewing kits. Staff weren’t overly friendly. Rang restaurant asking if they had any dips such as ketchup/garlic as we had got pizza & delivery forgot the dips. They said they hadn’t anything ? Which was very strange for a restaurant?! Very over priced rooms for what we got. I have stayed in many maldrons before which were lovely had no problems but this was a joke . 100% wouldn’t stay here before .

Central to Liffey valley shopping center & luas stop.

Good location, close to M50, also Luas stop nearby.
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

Overall good, just small details - had to ask twice for towels as no towels were left in the room. Also no soap in dispensers. But besides that, no complaints.

Good location, close to M50, also Luas stop nearby. Supermarket next door. Good value for money.

I am so sorry I didnt get the receptionist name when I...

Nothing. It was all superb

I am so sorry I didnt get the receptionist name when I arrived on the friday. She was so lovely and bubbly and was so good to my kids. A really lovely way to be greated after a long trip. She is definetly a keeper!! Thank you lady :)

We could not enter the room with our key card.
    • Standard Family Room

We could not enter the room with our key card. the battery went dead on the door so we're told that someone would be around to fix it. That never happened so Everytime we left the room we needed to find a member of management to open the door the following day we went for breakfast and when we arrived back up to the room with a member of staff we were left sitting in the hallway for 20 minutes.

Perfect Pre/Post Airport trip
    • Classic Quadruple Room

Large budget hotel with friendly staff, 24 hr reception we checked at 2 am due to delayed flight , made effort to speed up check-in and allows us later checkout , very helpful, did what it said on the tin.

I liked the hotel because the staff were nice the location...
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

I liked the hotel because the staff were nice the location was grand the staff were very friendly the food was fantastic would definitely be back again

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

One night stay at Maldron
    • Superior Family Room

The room was very warm. Definitely would benefit from air conditioning.

The room was very clean, staff were friendly and the breakfast was lovely. Best sausages ever according to my son

Good Value for Money option for Dublin Stay

No free bottled water in room.

Convenient location on the outskirts of Dublin. Free Parking. Helpful reception staff. Lively Bar/Food area showing Sky Sports. Two decent size double beds in room.

It was ok

Didn't enjoy the tea from the machines would have been more in keeping with the other hotels we had stayed in you can't beat a good teapot on the table

Room lovely breakfast no very good

Nice and clean

The noise. I had ear plugs and was still woken late into the night and early in the morning with banging doors and talking. Felt like I was sleeping in a cardboard hotel. Walls/floors so thin I could hear people using toilet in other rooms!!

Nice and clean

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Like staying in a zoo! Very poor.
    • Classic Quadruple Room

Very busy. Long queues, lots of very drunk football supporters with families, kids left to run riot until the parents got drunk and took over. Rooms unbearably hot with no air con and windows that are sealed shut to prevent you jumping out. After 2 days here I can see why they sealed the windows.

Location is OK.

Reception was very friendly.
    • Classic Quadruple Room

The room was a bit small for two small children. It seemed the big bar was too small for the amount of guests staying. We couldn’t get a table for food.

Reception was very friendly. The room was bright, airy and comfortable. The food was very good. The manager that served us paying for breakfast was extremely nice!

Staff very friendly rooms lovely
    • Standard Family Room

The fact didn't have time use pool with kids but that's nothing to do with hotel time just ran away from us 😊😊

Staff very friendly rooms lovely

I would recommend
    • Standard Family Room

The cost of the breakfast was a bit high especially for small kids that wouldn't eat a whole lot

Very friendly staff, very clean and great location

Very comfortable.Great food. Excellent value.Lovely staff.
    • Standard Family Room

Extra towels & toiletries required even though I'm sure they would have been provided if I had asked.

Comfortable rooms, very clean. Staff very helpful & pleasant. Had a beautiful family meal in the bar even though service was almost finished. Excellent value. Will definitely book this hotel again.

Judging people by how they look

Staff at front desk made give deposit and copy of passport after booking with the credit card and when checking out wasn't allowed leave our get my deposit back until room was checked I always leave room how it was when I arrived.

Beds comfortable room service

Staff

Just one thing...bar was closed earlier than we expected but we were still facilitated and drink order was delivered to the reception area. Staff were really busy but still amazing-they could have done with more help.

Exceptionally helpful female receptionist- helped us immensely when we had difficulty finding a 5 seater taxi.secured 2 adjoining rooms which we did not expect it- i never got her name- long brown hair and friendly smile

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Poor
    • Standard Family Room

Pull out bed was filthy and stained. When we complained they first offered to put a mattress cover on it And said that beds do get stained and only gave us a different room when we complained more forcefully. Beds were not comfortable. The staff in the bar got our food order incorrect several times and when they brought my son a cheese burger instead of a plain burger (I had stressed the plain) they merely removed the slice of cheese and returned it with some cheese still on the burger bun. On the first night that we dined there I was left waiting for my meal for at least 20 mins after everybody else received their meal so when mine finally arrived everybody else at the table had finished their meal.Food quality was poor. When we checked out I was very surprised that we were not even asked if we had enjoyed our stay. We won't be staying there again.

Functional, would recommend for short stay only

Evening staff could do with a refresher on customer service. Arrived at desk and was ignored for a number of minutes by the reception staff who were chatting amongst one another and calling to other members of staff who were leaving.

Room was spotless, very clean. Beds very comfortable too. Porter was very helpful, especially with finding a car parking space. Receptionist on checkout (Sinead?) was lovely too.

Staff friendly.
    • Classic Quadruple Room

Cost of room more expensive than neighbours we met there who had breakfast included. We were being charged 14€ extre per head for breakfast. Disappointed with that.

Staff friendly. Family rooms were adequate size.

Convenient location for us rooms ok BUT will not eat in G&G again

Grill & Grain menu was very very restrictive, not everyone wants spicy food, good honest plain food required so went for Shepards pie so much potato little meat and veg-ugh!!!! Prices too much for what you got too no wonder you give vouchers for 5euros. However breakfast choices super even got porridge. A lot of stains on carpets on3rd floor even in bedroom no excuses so many products to shift them

Spacious rooms comfy beds location good

Okay...would not be rushing back though

Needs an upgrade. Hotel was busy so was a bit dis organised

The hotel is fine. A bit dated in parts - like the bedroom, hallways and reception areas. the bar and lounge is good and the food fine.

hotel was excellent
    • Classic Quadruple Room

it was 20 Euro cheaper to book hotel direct so I would go to there website very disappointed.

it's very clean and staff are really kind and helpful bar food excellent

Breakfast was lovely.
    • Superior Family Room

Despite the website saying it is soundproof, it most definitely is not. A lot of noise from the hall, doors banging, people playing tv/music v late at night clearly heard. Probably wouldn’t stay again because of this. Mainly booked it because of the sound proof claim!

Breakfast was lovely.

Ok
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

Breakfast and bar food v poor cocktail sausages and undercooked fried eggs unacceptable for breakfast burnt and over cooked southern fried chicken really let it down!!

Comfortable enough for a short stay, highly recommend adding the breakfast into your stay

Small rooms, no bar fridge, no air conditioner or fan, shower/bath area had a substantial amount of black mould. Linen was smaller than the size of the bed and pillows dreadful.

Great breakfast daily and ideally located just a short walk to the tram.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Location for getting about and the bath with plenty of hot...

Very noisy, loading and unloading of supplies took place right outside so you were awake very early with noise, bed and pillows uncomfortable and very dated and towels were threadbare. No air conditioning or van. Picture quality poor on tv and channel selection poor

Location for getting about and the bath with plenty of hot water

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Very good value for money needed extra pillows and staff...
    • Standard Family Room

Ordered dinner and some of our Order didn't come out, before staff realised this the restaurant was closed 😶

Very good value for money needed extra pillows and staff provided with no problem 😊

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

We asked at reception was there green tea in the room they...

We asked at reception was there green tea in the room they didn't know, on request we were sent to the restaurant were we asked for €2.50 we said it was for our room, on looking they had no green tea they said they would get some and bring it to our room this never happened only something small, but small things count.

Quince trip.
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

There is no free airport shuttle to/from this motel. It can be pricey when it costs 30-40 euros one way. We did have to run all the way to the bar to get ice. There was no ice buckets.

The staff was very helpful and polite. The facilities were very clean, the hallways reminding me of the the hotel in The Shining it made me giggle. We also like that the staff gave our children popsicles on a very hot day.

Good beds, good breakfast and friendly stuff.
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

Initial research told us there was a free shuttle bus to the airport which turned out to be not true. Also, an e mail after booking confirmation advertising €10 breakfast when booked online , via the link from said e mail. On check in , however, we were asked for €12 Upon showing the receptionist the e mail, it was left at €10 But it was a hassle and caused confusion.

Comfortable beds and great pillows!

Enjoyable .
    • Classic Quadruple Room

Noise from bedroom doors closing early in the morning. An awful lot of banging from them as they are fitted with heavy sprung hinges

Fabulous breakfast..

Staff no very friendly.

Staff no very friendly.to start I saw on the internet you could book breakfast for 10 euro when checking in. I asked at the counter and the fella that was on said he new nothing had only just started and would get back to me. 45 minutes past and I returned to the front desk. He called the duty manager and she said no it was 12 and would be 14 if I waited till morning to book. I explained what was on the internet I said no thanks and all I got In reply was " what ever". Went to have a shower in the morning and the shower head was missing ??? Would not stay there ever again. A waist of 93 euro for 1 room for 1 person.

Breakfast was lovely great variety.

Room .spacious but v dark & dingy because window too small giving limited light .. Very stuffy needs air conditioning Beds v narrow most people now sleep on 6ft or 4ft beds extractor fan needed n bathroom..

Breakfast was lovely great variety... Hotel was v clean.. great car parking facilities lovely location for walking n pm

Staff great, beds comfy, breakfast tasty, (gluten free...
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

Staff great, beds comfy, breakfast tasty, (gluten free options available) free car parking, bus run into Dublin quick and easy, definitely recommend ♥

Relaxing and everything is easily accesible.

Good night's rest in a good location. Near shops takeaways and Pandini's restaurant is just across the road which offers a great Mediterranean style menu and has a nice atmosphere.

The food was great the room was great the location was...

Only complaint I would have was we only got 1 towel for our second night stay and the room cleaning service left a dirty pillow that was all stained from the previous nights stay only a small thing but other then that couldn’t rate the place any higher

The food was great the room was great the location was perfect just on the edge of Dublin City

Expensive and more like an 18-30’s holiday at night. Don’t go if you have families and need to sleep

Noise and quality of other guests

So much noise. Door slamming and people knocking on the door in the middle of the night looking for friends. Moved to other side in executive suite and then room below was throwing glass bottles out of the window at night.

Avoid the restaurant
    • Standard Family Room

The food in the a la carte restaurant is awful. Don't bother with any of it. Menu sounds good, restaurant looks great, clean, but food is tasteless, over cooked and waited ages for simple desserts.

The big room being able to fit all 5 of us, cleanliness and location for price. Supermarket, pharmacy and gas station across the road.

Bar staff- not noticing who came in for meal, standing at...

Bar staff- not noticing who came in for meal, standing at counter first(left waiting whilst everyone around and after me were served first). Putting items on my bill that I didn't order.. 😣

Clean and nice staff. Good location
    • Classic Quadruple Room

Rooms and halls could do with a big makeover as the carpets and walls are very grubby. The only problem we encountered was the one lift. I waited 10 full minutes to get a lift from the 3rd floor to the ground floor and ended up having to carry two suitcases down the flight of stairs in the end and help my mother down then. Lift very small and twice taken up with cleaners and their carts, lift would constantly go up to top floor and down to bottom without stopping. Need another lift.

Standard clean rooms. Nice staff.

• Classic Quadruple Room

Very poor in every way never be back and its the first I ever stayed in a bad place in the south. Not stop me going down south again just not there.

A nice transit hotel

No issues at all.

We stayed only for one night, arriving in the afternoon and leaving the next morning. We had lunch and breakfast there, in a sort of cafeteria place, where you had to pick your food and pay at a cashier. We took the bus to town (easy enough) but on the way back we didn't have a landmark to get down! So spent some anxious minutes. Staff were friendly and helpful but could have anticipated the return problem.

Great staff

The receptionist was super helpful. She stored our bag of frozen baby food in the chefs freezer for us and offered our son an ice cream when checking in on a hot day.

Lovely and clean staff nice, free parking , very spacious

Food very average , we ate in bar off bar food menu she had a glass of wine I had a pint , main course only , total was 74€....outrageous I thought for very average bar food

Lovely and clean staff nice, free parking , very spacious

very pleasant stay

TV in my room was terrible no reception only two channels worked now I should have phoned down about it but I didn't otherwise nohing

Love the new restaurant, had the chicken curry and it was gorgeous the girl that served me was very helpful like the new seating etc. My room was very comfy and I slept very well It had everything I needed car parking is good also nice and quiet and perfect for where I needed to go

The staff were lovely , very lovely to our two kids.
    • Standard Family Room

Liked the property but would have liked our room to have been a bit bigger.

The staff were lovely , very lovely to our two kids. Very friendly and helpful

Will stay again
    • Standard Family Room

I have stayed in this hotel previously and received a larger room on my previous stay. With 2 adults & 3 children in the same room we were a little caught for space on this occasion

The hotel is clean & staff very freindly