Reviews of Mulroy Woods Hotel 3 stars

Letterkenny Road, Millford,, . Milford, Ireland

#4 of 4 hotels in Milford

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Lovely hotel,very clean,rooms are very comfortable.

Nothing to dislike

Lovely hotel,very clean,rooms are very comfortable.very nice bar/restaurant with good food and the staff are very friendly would definitely stay again.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2018

Good value
    • Superior King Room

Breakfast cooked to order is always preferable to a buffet. But the buffet was ok.

Great staff - barman in particular is very good at his job. Comfortable bed. Good value.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2018

Lovely hotel except for the breakfast
    • Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was cold and the sliced bread definitely wasn't the freshest

Everything except for the breakfast was great, there was a really nice lady at reception when we checked in she was lovely & helpful, the lads in the bar were nice, the room was perfect lovely & clean

Clean rooms comfortable beds
    • Double or Twin Room

Restaurant food was awful. Soup was great. By 25€ steak was inedible. I asked for well Done but what I got was dry bland no seasoning my steak knife couldn’t-go thru it. Roast potatoes on plate was like a rock. Fries undercooked. Only good thing was coffee.

Clean rooms comfortable beds

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

this is just a small thing but I like that shower gel, soap...
    • Double or Twin Room

this is just a small thing but I like that shower gel, soap ect are supplied in a bigger fixed to the wall container instead of many small plastic containers and sachets that are just end up us rubbish in the bin.

Our stay was very enjoyable and I would recommend the hotel to anyone.
    • Double or Twin Room

The bed was too warm! But then we are used to sleeping with the window open.

Beautiful breakfast. Lovely setting for a hotel, out in the countryside yet not far from Letterkenny. The staff were very pleasant and helpful.

brilliant
    • Double or Twin Room

liked everything about the hotel.

the food is brilliant and the staff are friendly and very helpful you are made to feel at home from you enter the hotel at the front desk and every member of staff goes out of their way to help you.

Staff were helpful and friendly.
    • Double or Twin Room

Very noisy throughout the night, sleep was disturbed several times. In the car park found that empty beer glasses and cans had been left on top of our car.

Staff were helpful and friendly. Food was served quickly.

Huge room
    • Double or Twin Room

Great hotel but in the middle of nowhere. I have asked during my booking for the room on the top floor but received room on a ground level with the few on the field.

Huge room

Good breakfast
    • Double or Twin Room

Poor meal and service for wedding not enough food to go around table when asked for extra told straight up none left so some of wedding guests had no vegetables or bread rolls meat and roast potatoes cold

Good breakfast

Lovely hotel- great value!
    • Double or Twin Room

Leisure facilities would have added to the experience

Food was really good and the decor was tastefully done and fresh. Lovely staff and clean, spacious rooms. Had a lovely stay - would definately recommend.

6.0
    Break
    • Superior King Room

Tv had no signal. No extractor fan in bathroom. Really dirty glass in restaurant,was not given the chance to order dessert bill presented to us hastily. Had to pay for room on arrival,not good. Won't rush back.

Bed comfy

The cleanliness of the hotel, the helpful, friendly and...
    • Double or Twin Room

I couldn't fault anything. From being greeted at reception to our greats nights sleep everything was fab.

The cleanliness of the hotel, the helpful, friendly and efficient team that work there.

A lovely place, clean & spacious room with lovely decor.
    • Superior King Room

The tv channels were mainly radio stations, the breakfast was very basic & cold and the location wasn’t within walking distance to either of the next two villages. You were stuck to the hotel for some nightlife and that consisted of mainly elderly couples dancing. The music was just not to my taste.

A lovely place, clean & spacious room with lovely decor.

Lovely place, most helpful and caring staff, great atmosphere and fabulous food.
    • Double or Twin Room

Nothing negative to report, we have in fact booked anther stay in August!

Food was excellent, staff went over and above to ensure that all our needs were met. There was a delay one night on our food due to a large party being in, but staff kept us updated and apologised profusely and everyone who was kept waiting got free Prosecco.

quality hotel with good accomodation in the right place for me

mistake in booking given 2 floor room soon resolved for ground floor

nice restaurant - good meals - lovely room on ground floor - quality hotel - car parking adjacent

Very quiet area not far from letterkenny or fanad head ,
    • Double or Twin Room

The bar man that was on at 12 that night was terrible sat in the corner chatting up 2 girls and never bothered checking was there people looking for drinks the girls hadpoint to us and he served us like he was in a rush and ran back over to them we got up and left 👍🏻

Very quiet area not far from letterkenny or fanad head ,

Excellent staff - very friendly & helpful
    • Superior King Room

No water in the room - no ironing board or iron & we had to get the key cards changed twice. We also got told at breakfast that we had not paid for breakfast ( which we had !) We had almost paid for a superior room and our room was of similar size to our other friends who had paid a lot less than us

Excellent staff - very friendly & helpful

Very enjoyable, will be returning soon.
    • Double or Twin Room

Didn't think anything more could have made a difference, breakfast was great, the waitress was perfect, anything we needed she got for us.

The staff did it for me. It was exactly what we expect when we spend time in a hotel.

For the price this hotel was far below expectations.
    • Double or Twin Room

Firstly, let me say that I emailed the hotel twice to discuss the issues below before putting this review on booking.com - I have received no response or even an acknowledgement of my emails. This is actually no surprise, consistent with the poor customer service of our stay. We had the following issues: Room was on a non-smoking floor, though people were smoking on our floor - we could smell it through the corridors. Poor breakfast - limited variety and low quality. The hotel’s alarm went off at 11:30PM waking us up - apparently it was an error, no apology from the staff. Between 2:00 and 4:00AM there was a guest / other (?) walking loudly through the corridors knocking on doors - hotel did nothing to address the issue.

Really poor value for money - if the hotel was half the price, there would have been more to like about it. At these prices you can stay at far better hotels or B&Bs in the area.

Good base for touring the north west shores of Lough Swilly.
    • Double or Twin Room

The Mulroy is a non- smoking hotel but there was a stale (old) dormant cigarette odour noticeable in the bedroom which needs decor and bathroom updating. Bedding was clean as always but the mattress was uncomfortable/lumpy.

Good base for touring the north west shores of Lough Swilly. This was our 3rd stay at the Mulroy Hotel. Only 20 min drive to Glenveagh National Park and Gaeltacht area / West Donegal Coast accessable within a scenic 1 hour drive . Friendly staff and weekend entertainment. Breakfast served up to 10.30am and 12 noon checkout is a bonus. The Mulroy has good selection of beers -serve up a great pint of Guinness and restaurant food is good. The nearby village of Ramelton has great pubs with superb live music at The Bridge Bar which also serves great food ( need to book ahead). Nearest beach at Rathmullan ( 10 kms ) where you'll also find nice restaurants and pubs .

No one at reception when I arrived, I went to the bar and...
    • Double or Twin Room

No one at reception when I arrived, I went to the bar and got a room and key organised 116 after walking there which is quite a way they keys never worked. I went back to reception and the bar then just sat at reception for 10 minutes where I was given new keys and I walked back to the room and they never worked ! So back to reception again 5 minute wait again, I was not happy I said I wanted another room much closer as I suffered with my back . I took my keys 216 and found he had put me up stars in the room furthest away, was he trying to be funny ?? Over half an hour to get in a room late at night ...motor good

Relaxing, great staff, ambience, food, attention to detail

Liked everything - no complaints

I loved the décor in the room, the staff were so friendly, attentive. Food was excellent, lovely ambience throughout. Will be visiting again. Congratulations of staff and management on your service

We were there for a wedding and the staff, food, and décor...
    • Double or Twin Room

The location of our room was too close to the function room where the dancing and music continued until 1 am. Others who stayed over for the wedding said they were not bothered by the music so it was just our location.

We were there for a wedding and the staff, food, and décor couldn't have been better. The function rooms were large enough to accommodate everyone without any crowding.

Mulroy Woods Hotel is a real gem and great value.
    • Double or Twin Room

Everything was fantastic, Staff are brilliant and always smiling, food in the bar and breakfast was beautiful, best Pizza I ever had, huge portions. Bedroom was clean and like new, Deco is beautiful throughout the hotel. Best value hotel I have stayed in without a doubt.

Very comfortable bedroom. Lovely breakfast. Good value for money
    • Double or Twin Room

the taps on the shower were very complicated to use. A set of instructions on how to use them would have been useful. The name of the hotel is also misleading. There are no woods nearby.

The ham and cheese in the continental breakfast were the best I have ever tasted

No lighting for reading or using desk.
    • Double or Twin Room

No lighting for reading or using desk. Just one desk lamp or moveable floor lamp would have kept me for needing the emergency headlamp I carry just in case.

Cheap and cheerful
    • Double or Twin Room

A lot of Road noise when window was open. but that couldn't be helped as it is situated near road

The reception staff was absolutely fabulous in this hotel very obliging and couldn't do more for you

Quite pleasant but could’ve been better
    • Double or Twin Room

Food portions could’ve been bigger, there wasn’t much chicken in my chicken curry and my girlfriends chicken Goujons were very dry like they had been reheated. There was a big hollow/dip in the middle of the bed.

Staff were friendly. Entertainment- monster bingo was a laugh

good value nice room
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast staff not as friendly a smile 😊 costs nothing

Restaurant staff lovely breakfast good evening menu not great portions too large was overcharged on bingo night a lot of hotel areas closed off could do with more entertainment

Mini break for wedding
    • Double or Twin Room

My only criticism would be that I would have liked bath sheets rather than bath towels to use in bathroom as I like to wrap up in a large towel after a bath or shower.

Great location for exploring the area. Great hotel. Great food. Lovely helpful staff

warm friendly efficient service,plus food stunning and entertainment excellent...
    • Double or Twin Room

what could have been better was the breakfast staff who was a foreign lady very unhelpful and no personality..I drink bloody marys and really like my tomato juice but there wasn't any and they werent any pineapple juice as an alternative for my vodka.the guinness was not good my brother said and wanted to go elsewhere because of it..maybe barrell needed changed or something im not sure but a good guinness is important to impress people from all over especially tourists from UK or USA or anywhere in the world..

the whole staff and accommodation at our stay was superb..the food was excellent and the service second to none..the manager gani was excellent he looked after us while we were there and the bar man behind the bar Paul was an excellent bar person and Hughie.. the reception staff was very helpful and efficient and would definitely recommend a stay here anytime of year.we were very happy and in a great central location to town and to Ramelton letterkenny and to the main town milford.the music playing was excellent on saturday especially Trevor Loughrey he played country and western and all the irish traditional songs. we also were close to the travellers inn another great pub in town and great music on sunday night..

Very enjoyable.
    • Double or Twin Room

Restaurant closed in the evenings so only bar food available. The bar was crowded and difficult to get a table. Only one vegetarian choice on the menu unless I had pizza.

Comfortable rooms, great breakfasts.

We loved the homely relaxed atmosphere, the staff were...
    • Double or Twin Room

We loved the homely relaxed atmosphere, the staff were lovely and very pleasant, the food was amazing well done to the Chef and his wee son what a team they made.

The staff at this hotel made our stay brilliant
    • Double or Twin Room

The staff were excellent, very helpful in all areas from check in, the lady was one of the best receptionist I have ever encountered. The night porter Travis was very welcoming, accommodating and friendly - a fantastic hotel that is great value for money.

The bed was comfy.
    • Double or Twin Room

Strange chemical smell from cleaning upon entering the room. Couldn’t get the hot water working for the shower, so we couldn’t bathe. No blow dryer for hair.

The bed was comfy.

very satisfied
    • Double or Twin Room

location is just too far for anyone wanting to walk elsewhere for a drink or food /shopping

staff were fantastic ,very helpful and friendly , food was top notch

I would recommend this hotel
    • Superior King Room

The reception area is too public and there needs to be more front office staff for checking in/out.

Lovely breakfast and we weren’t rushed to finish.

Stay was very relaxing,Food good and staff very friendly.Will return to this hotel.
    • Double or Twin Room

Television reception poor.Electricity went out several times throughout the evening,

The beds were very comfortable, a great nights sleep.Food in lounge very good, excellent service.

Relaxing, refreshing break in a beautiful part of Donegal.
    • Double or Twin Room

Our deal was for mid week . Wish we could get same offer at weekends .

We had a ground floor room which was very roomy and comfortable. Loved the excellent lighting.The decor was amazing, especially the picture of the master stag.We had a wonderful breakfast with so much choice.We will definitely be back .Thanks for a lovely break.

Very nice, clean, good value, friendly
    • Superior King Room

Woken at 6am by guests outside the room, doors to stairwell close with a loud bang, could be fixed easily.

Comfy clean spacious room, friendly & helpful staff, good value, good breakfast.

Exceptional B&B on par with a 4 star hotel except more homely
    • Double or Twin Room

There was nothing not to like

The warmth of the welcome and the absolute comfort of the B&B. Beautiful breakfast. Room and en-suite - very high standard

Never again 😟
    • Double or Twin Room

OMG ask for a toasted ham and cheese sandwich staff said NO they don't do it so my husband was going across road to petrol station to buy sandwiches on the way out he said he was disappointed hotel did not make Toasties but the floor manager said said that yes they did!! So he sorted it out. At 4am three people two males and a female we're roaring at each other absolutely twisted on booze in room across from us room 210 and no one did anything about it. My husband had to get up to tell them to be quiet. Breakfast was mediocre not a pleasant stay won't stay again.😞 Came away feeling tired and no one was at reception when we went to drop off keys.... quiet stay NOT 😒

Receptionist was lovely to deal with 👍

Beautiful hotel, great food, amazing staff.
    • Double or Twin Room

Mulroy Woods is a beautiful hotel, clean, tidy and finished to an impecable standard, the restaurant serves incredible food, cooked to perfection using fantastic produce, this applies to the breakfast too. The staff are all so friendly, happy and willing to help, I cant stress enough how great our time here was. Mulroy Woods would still be a bargain at twice the price.

A great wee escape!
    • Double or Twin Room

The door lock was damaged so had to use a key - bit tricky. Saw another visitor struggling too.

Great food; Large room; late check-out time; location was perfect for the purpose of our visit.

An excellent short stay in comfy well equipped rooms.
    • Double or Twin Room

An excellent short stay in comfy well equipped rooms. Excellent food served by friendly and attentive staff. We will certainly return for a longer break.

Great would come again
    • Superior King Room

Didn't offer dessert or coffee after our meal

Bed vert comfortable though heating not working in bedroom 303 it was warm enough from heater in bathroom

Ideal as a base but need to go elsewhere in the evenings for atmosphere.
    • Double or Twin Room

Rooms cold and hotel in general felt cold. No ambience or character which was very disappointing as this was what I was looking for going by the web site reviews.

Staff friendly. Rooms clean. Breakfast ok.

If the Mattress was better quality I would have no complaints and would highly recommend the place.
    • Double or Twin Room

The Mattress on the Bed was terrible. It was a cheap mattress, badly sprung. The WiFi was poor but that probably isn't the fault of the Hotel. Unfortunately Broadband in North Donegal is appalling.

Staff were very nice and friendly. Breakfast was excellent and the Coffee was superb...that was a very pleasant surprise. The bedroom was spacious and spotlessly clean. It was very good value. As a base for exploring north Donegal by Car it's ideal.

Excellent! I'm happy to recommend this place.
    • Superior King Room

All of the staff were particularly friendly and good-humoured - so much so that they extruded an impression that they all (including the management) shared some secret and on-going joke that brought smiles to faces every time two of them met as they went about their tasks. Overall, one got the impression that the Mulroy Woods was a happy place to work and this in turn made it a happy place to stay from a customer/staff interaction point of view. I will certainly stay there again!

Great base to explore Fanad Penninsula and surrounding areas. Glenveagh in comfortable proximity.
    • Double or Twin Room

First room we were allocated suffered from some unknown background noise which persisted through the night. On advising Reception, they investigated and then arranged to move us to an alternate room with no fuss whatsoever. As an incidental observation, the first allocated room only had one available power socket. This was limiting when seeking to charge mobile phones.

Very warm welcome in Reception on arrival and host was knowledgeable and very helpful with regard to local events and places to visit, including making phone calls on our behalf to get information on local events that evening. Bar and dining room staff were also very pleasant and eager to assist in any way they could. Breakfast had a good choice and restaurant menu had plenty of variety, food was well presented and was reasonably priced. Bedrooms were quite comfortable with tea/coffee making facilities and TV.

Enjoyable stay in Mulroy Woods Hotel
    • Double or Twin Room

Nothing-all good with the hotel. The review dated 21 September 2017 was not from me.

All the staff were friendly and helpful- from Shauna at reception to the staff in the restaurant. The rooms were very nice and comfortable.

Beautiful Donegal
    • Superior King Room

The food was excellent, very well presented and always hot. For me I would have liked a little more choice

The location of this hotel on the Wild Atlantic Way was excellent. The hotel was very clean, the staff were brilliant, very friendly and always helpful

Had a lovely time would recommend it for a stay
    • Double or Twin Room

Only one complaint about the whole weekend. The toilet seat in room 206 was pretty poor it was chipped and discolored. A very small expenditure would have solved this problem.

Staff were so helpful with suggestions as to where we went and giving direction

Very pleasant indeed.
    • Double or Twin Room

Food was supposed to be served till nine thirty but at nine o clock we were told all finished. Was disappointed and starving especially disappointed for my daughter who was with me.

The bed was huge and very comfy

Good value for the money. Big rooms. I would go back.
    • Family Room

The location was really wonderful. The staff was extremely nice and helpful. We arrived late and the girl at the door was really helpful about what to do the next day and knew a lot about the area.

Very enjoyable break in a very good location
    • Double or Twin Room

My husband had a broken leg which I let the staff know about before hand. We were given a lovely room on the ground floor with disabled facilities.From the receptionists to the bar and restaurant staff we were so well looked after in a pleasant caring manner. We found the atmosphere in the hotel very cosy and everything was spotless We enjoyed their bar food menu very much and the breakfast was very good. Lovely hotel for an Autumn break

Hotel Galore

all great ;)

Very nice hotel, very large and spacious room. warm, cozy, friendly. much of the premises is already modernized, but not all. but even the 80ies style room we've stayed in was great. amazing food, great breakfast - highly recommend and well worth the price

Staff at reception very kind and friendly.
    • Family Room

The position. Hotel in the middle of nowhere. I was looking for a hotel in the town of Letterkenny instead the Booking website found this hotel in Letterkenny Road. Fortunately it was a good hotel.

Staff at reception very kind and friendly. Very nice room, big and clean. Ample parking. Value for money. Warm and welcoming.

Great hotel stay at a reasonable cost.
    • Double or Twin Room

Heavy fire doors to push through in the corridors- I thought they were meant to be held open with the magnet holders until a fire when these magnets are released and the door closes?

Room was spacious and well serviced with great bathroom, comfortable beds and tea making needs. The restaurant served great food at a good price.

Dinner was excellent.
    • Double or Twin Room

Dinner was excellent. Just what we wanted. It was obvious the chef took pride in it. Breakfast was great too. All staff were very helpful and friendly.

Lovely hotel very clean lovely staff bedroom very spacious...
    • Double or Twin Room

Room was very warm during the night even with heating off unable to open window as wedding was in hotel that night so We could hear music

Lovely hotel very clean lovely staff bedroom very spacious and very comfortable bed

Reception staff charming and helpful.
    • Double or Twin Room

We ate there on both evenings. Food was just OK. Maybe it was just the nights but staff always seemed to be cleaning around us. In fairness they gave us a free bottle of wine because we had to move.

Reception staff charming and helpful.

Great stay at this hotel!
    • Double or Twin Room

We would have liked to have had a mini fridge for our beverages!

Beautiful hotel! The room was lovely and had a super comfy bed! The breakfast was very nice and there was a lot of choice. Also the food in the restaurant was amazing! All staff were also very friendly. The hotel is situated in a great location. We really enjoyed our stay and are already planning our next trip!

Very pleasant hotel, well located for sightseeing and staff very helpful.
    • Double or Twin Room

Unfortunately due to "computer error" one of our rooms was double booked leading to new guests entering our room - bit of a shock for all involved. However staff very apologetic and we all enjoyed our stay. Would stay there again.

Good location for travelling out round the beautiful countryside

Comfortable stay, spacious room.
    • Double or Twin Room

Large room with double and single beds. Large bathroom with bath as well as shower. Ate in hotel restaurant; food very good but service a bit slow as busy.

An ideal break in Donegal . Don't look any further!
    • Double or Twin Room

to get away from my "normal" We experienced summer weather, stunning beaches, unspoiled scenery, traditional cuisine and an array of exciting outdoor walking trip. We also mustn't forget to mention that the beach is just a short drive away from our hotel,

really excellent three nights
    • Double or Twin Room

It would be great to have water in the room

The service is always excellent and even though the menu is limited the quality of the food is great, and the staff will always try and accommodate your requests.

Excellent!
    • Double or Twin Room

No complaints. Any issue or query was dealt with efficiently by the staff.

Myself and my partner stayed at the mulroy woods for two nights, while attending a wedding nearby.. the staff were extremely welcoming and helpful. The food overall at the hotel (breakfast and dinner) were excellent. Great spot for a quiet relaxing trip with lots of attractions for sight seeing nearby. Highly recommend staying here.. the rooms are spacious, comfortable and clean. The staff are the best thing about this hotel! Excellent customer service skills.

Convenient location before reaching the Northern Irish coasts
    • Double or Twin Room

Very welcomed just before 9pm, last limit to order an evening meal at the restaurant / pub. Very large and nice comfortable room (2 beds) & bathroom Breakfast ok, evening meal ok, parking ok Everything was perfect.

very poor
    • Double or Twin Room

The food and service in the restaurant was atrocious, food awful, we thought the food would have been fresh but the burgers were frozen, Bar service poor, no one there to serve and advertised cocktails but couldn't make them, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, we have stayed in lots of hotels in Donegal and this was our worst experience ever, will not be staying again,

The hotel was clean

the restaurant was excellent, which you wouldn't...
    • Double or Twin Room

if you are at the front or side, there can be road noise.

the restaurant was excellent, which you wouldn't necessarily expect from such an enormous hotel out of season

the young girls behind the bar and in the restaurant were...
    • Double or Twin Room

our room could have been a bit better updated

the young girls behind the bar and in the restaurant were all very helpful and very good at their jobs, excellent service all round

Lovely place to stay
    • Double or Twin Room

I found nothing to be dissatisfied about

We ate breakfast and dinner there for our 3 night stay and the food was excellent the rooms were quite big the staff were top notch very helpful,full of information of places to visit around the area, i can see us revisiting.

Great stay apart from price difference as we were on a budget.
    • Double or Twin Room

Price quoted for two ppl bed n breakfast 103 sterling but on arrival hotel charged an extra 12 pound sterling for that day's rate against euro and advised to book directly with them in future! Not impressed with price change.....

Liked all aspects of hotel including room staff and food