Reviews of Mount Falcon Estate 4 stars

Foxford Road, Ballina, Ireland

#7 of 17 hotels in Ballina

• Reviewed: 10 October 2018

Luxurious!

See note about dinner above

Everything was fantastic except for dinner! We weren’t informed we had the option of only ordering one course abd by the time I was half way through my appetizer I was full. The staff and the room and especially the bed was the most comfortable we have experienced in a very long time. My husband was plotting how to smuggle the king sized mattress out into our very small rental car.

The room was beautiful.

The activities such as falconry, clay pigeon shooting etc were all very expensive - and if you don’t do them, there isn’t a whole lot other than cycling or swimming to do on the grounds- would need to have a car and consider day trips to Westport etc.

The room was beautiful. All the staff were very friendly, and the grounds are fabulous

Exceptional experience

Everything about the hotel was fabulous. Staff great, food in the restaurant outstanding and room beautifully appointed. The walk with Martin and the falcon was extraordinary and his knowledge about them very interesting. Staff also have great ability to sense the needs of guests and there is a genuine expression of hospitality and service. This was our best experience in twelve days travelling around Ireland.

Clean, did a lot well , but nothing exceptional.
    • Superior Twin Room

Window would not open, toilets would not flush properly. Bar food finished at 6 . Forcing residents to Restaraunt.

Clean, did a lot well , but nothing exceptional.

An idyllic way to spend our wedding anniversary. Mount Falcon is a jewel in Mayo's crown.

Evening meal was out of this world. Staff could not have been more attentive. Stunning setting, wish we could have stayed for longer but we will absolutely be back.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

A luxury holiday in a lovely setting

It would be great if the hotel good have some loop trail maps available.

We loved the beautiful surroundings of the hotel, the classic cosy ambiance, the food in the Kitchen restaurant, we enjoyed the pool and fitness center and we loved the Hawk walk with the hotel falconer. The rooms are classic but very spacious with good beds.

lovely venue in ballina, not cheap..........
    • Superior Twin Room

signage poor to very bad............needs complete make over and re think..........exit sins from car parks weak, due to lack of maintenance.......same for outdoor chairs and tables, need varnish today......look cheap and look dirty......all around entrance door needs paint and care daily.................signs to room, could be much better and clearer....again needs fresh eyes........same for pool area and spa....... new signs..........trying to find way back to reception, not easy......simple to sort out.............tea at breaky served cool to cold.......not good enough..back round music could be up a wee bit..just a wee bit.................over all impressive place.................

the location, the car parks, the size of the room, the condition of all areas, the food generally very good....

Nice and Relaxed!
    • Superior Single Room

More food options in the evening after 17:30. As I was travelling alone I would have preferred to have some food in the bar area instead of the restaurant. Unfortunately, I found quite a bit of hair in my bath. I was looking forward to taking a bath, but decided not to after seeing this.

The breakfast was really nice. The room was really big, especially considering that I booked a single room. I also enjoyed the spa area. Additionally the girl working in the bar area was extremely nice and welcoming.

Relaxing, comfortable stay in beautiful old house full of history.
    • Superior Twin Room

Had booked dinner for 8.30, table not ready till 9.10 but then realised it was a three course menu at set price. Too late for my elderly mum & I for that much food. We were able to have main course which was perfect.

Had a very relaxing stay with my mum. Loved the old house & ambience. Staff very nice, food lovely, enjoyed the forest walks.

Very good massages and the pool was nice Good shooting...
    • Deluxe Double Room

From our room in the front of the property we could hear everything from the reception and lobby.

Very good massages and the pool was nice Good shooting experience.

A lovely place for a Getaway

Check out time 11.00 while last breakfast 10.30.bit of a rush .Bar cold at lunch time .lunch spoilt by people complaining about quality of food .Our order was also incorrect .Bar food finished at 5.30 so either had to have dinner there (€60 per person )or head into Ballina ,which is what we did as we didn’t want a full meal .families staying over Easter break in adjoining cottages so lots of children at breakfast .While this is not an issue(it’s great for them 👍) just to be aware as the breakfast room was very noisy ,with a lot of running around .We didn’t wait long .

Nice staff .nice big comfortable room .Treasa the therapist in the spa was excellent .would recommend a facial there .well maintained property .would be a super wedding venue .grounds beautiful .comlimentary bubbles for my birthday .overall a great night away .

Peaceful and romantic

Not a negative, just a point...very small and very quiet bar. Older couples mainly. Dinner very expensive but beautiful.

Lovely quiet, relaxing place to come and unwind. Beautifully maintained old estate. Gorgeous setting. Spa treatment was fabulous. Nice pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. Beautiful dining room, simple and elegant with lovely views. We took a drive one day..just about 20min drive to fab Enniscrobe beach and less than an hour to see Downpatrick Head so Mount Falcon was a good base for exploring the Wild Atlantic Way.

Lovely and relaxing feel throughout. And very welcoming staff and helpful.

I thought the pool looked bigger from the photos but it was also full of children for swimming lessons when we were there.

The rooms were comfortable and homely. Very spaceage and a touch of class for a treat away kinda break. The hotel itself was beautiful and cosy.

Wow from start to finish

Wow all the way through. Wifi was excellent. reception and staff was top class. Dinner and Breakfast was amazing. only negative was, I found it a bit cold in the pool area.

Lovely hotel, very clean.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Lovely hotel, very clean. Staff very helpful and friendly. Bed however was a little too low. Rooms lovely and spacious. Would like to come back with the kids during the summer

Very relaxing and enjoyable.

There was nothing we didn't like, apart from the fact that we would have liked to stay longer! perhaps more choice in the bar menu.

Liked the ambience and the surroundings plus the quietness. Everyone was very friendly from we arrived eg the very pleasant receptionists. We found all the staff very helpful. Una amazing at the spa.

One of the best Hotels I have stayed in.The staff were excellent so so friendly,the ambiance,the decor,the food I could not find anything to be critical off really enjoy the night shame it was only 1 night

Overall a really nice experience

I thought the food in the bar was a disappointment, steak was not as tender as I expected

The hotel itself is really nice inside and outside, a real respite. Room was really nice and comfortable ,

spa girlie weekend away 😀👍
    • Superior Twin Room

Gorgeous room very comfy bed crisp sheets the food was amazing and presentation of our meal were to class friendly service from reception all staff we met will definitely stay in Mount Falcon again 👌👌👌👌

Very beautiful property surrounding the hotel, and the hotel was lovely. Had a problem with room whi

Our room overlooked the loading dock. Garbage truck arrived at 6:15 AM and recycling at 6:45 AM. They made an adjustment on the room cost which was generous. Breakfast was so-so.

The service from the staff was superb. The dinner food and service was excellent. The property surrounding the htel is quite beautiful with lots of bronze sculptures that were well done.

Lovely accomodation

Lovely room, food in the restaurant was beautiful. great selection and food at breakfast. Beautiful grounds. The bed and pillows were very comfortable

I have visited mount falcon and I do not intend to return any time soon

The bar is scruffy We had treatments at the spa overpriced and staff using sharp practice in relation to purchase of products which should include a free gift Lack of management at the spa I think and a young staff

Rooms dated but comfy Food good Pool good

Relaxing, comfortable and warm

The staff couldnt of done more. The food was amazing. Our waiter mark was a gentleman. All of the staff were so friendly. The atmosphere was wonderful and the bedroom was unreal. I didnt want to leave. I will definitely be back.

bad reception

service at breakfast a bit slow. did not get a welcoming reception at all. this was most disappointing

food was good. had to walk a distance from car gym was small but adequate, pool ok and sauna/steam room fine.

Relaxing! A perfect place to unwind.

We thought the breakfast selection could have been better. What was there was lovely and fresh, just more choice would have been better.

Fabulous room and grounds. Food in the kitchen restaurant was outstanding. Had a very helpful waiter. Did archery on the Saturday and we both really enjoyed it.

Wonderful setting and hotel for a truly relaxing break

There were any areas that needs improving but perhaps the addition of a 9 hole golf course or pitch and putt course would be an idea to provide additional activities on site

This really was the most relaxing place for our short break with wonderfully helpful and pleasant staff. The quality of food was outstanding and a truly beautiful setting.

Enjoyable and relaxing stay
    • Deluxe Double Room

The gym was very small and could do with adding cable strength equipment. The breakfast wasn't great. The quality of the full Irish ingredients could be better and it would be nice to have the toast arrive with it. One toaster for all guests to use led to a queue, which was a little frustrating.

We had a great time. We walked the 3km trail, visited the old graveyard and megalithic tomb, used the lovely pool and exercised in the gym. Really enjoyed our room. It was part of the old building and contained lovely wooden floors, a sleigh bed and a standalone bath. The dinner was exceptional - one of the nicest I've ever had. The service was friendly if a little inexperienced. That wasn't a problem as both waiters were very pleasant.

Wonderful accommodations and great service.

Wonderful accommodations and great service. We enjoyed walking all around the estate's grounds which included a fully stocked pond with jumping trout, a stone tower, stone circle, livestock, and driving range. The service was superb and food was fabulous!

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

Excellent high quality relaxing location.

Lack of clarity about availability of food after 6.45pm A good food offering should be available until 9pm There seemed to be confusion about Food service in Bar after 7pm We ended up travelling into Ballina for dinner as we could not be accommodated after 7pm At a minimum we could have been advised of the strict ordering time - Last orders @ 6.45pm in Bar according to female food manager. Dining room staff excellent. Bar staff did not seem to understand the Menues

The location and the quality of the offerings. Very helpful excellent staff Superb location

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Luxury stay but combined with care and attention
    • Superior Twin Room

Although we had not booked a room with disabled facilities we had two en-suite bathing rooms catering for both me and my wife who has a disability which I suspect was as the result of a very perceptive receptionist Food was excellent and the staff were very attentive

Beds very comfortable, perfect room temperature, breakfast...
    • Superior Twin Room

I had initially cancelled my booking for the first night via booking.com , when I discovered that I would have to pay in full I rang manor hotels and asked if it was possible that my cancellation be ignored and that I still could arrive. The gentleman assured me after phoning staff at mount falcon that the booking was still in place and that the cancellation would be ignored. After driving from Dublin Friday evening we arrived to find our names were not in the list, however the night manager was very accommodating and found us another room and we were happy with this. My issue was with the next morning when I went to discuss at the front desk ; the staff member Was very unprofessional and stressed a number of times the room had been cancelled, after stating my case and saying that it was ok because it had all worked out, she continued to stress that the mistake was mine and searched for an email showing that I had cancelled the room, which I had never denied. I was extremely dissatisfied with this treatment, I expected much more from the staff , I was not looking to blame anyone for the mistake but I certainly wasn't expecting to have to accept any blame and have it presented in the manner it was. I had a wonderful time in this fantastic location but that incident certainly took from the experience which I thought was a pity.

Beds very comfortable, perfect room temperature, breakfast was a treat: cold buffet and hot menu, all delicious and well presented we really enjoyed, loved the clay pigeon shooting also, everywhere very clean, staff very helpful when I called reception replied immediately. The location was wonderful, very peaceful and the grounds were well kept. I was especially impressed with buildings interior design.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Excellent stay at Mount Falcon 😊

Only down side is that it's almost two and a half to three hours for us to get here 😔

We had a great time here, we ate bar food the first evening as the restaurant was fully booked and the second evening booked into the restaurant, both meals were beyond excellent. Staff lovely. Very clean, excellent food, very relaxing break 😃

Short Stay - Kitchen Garden a must

Big surprise and totally unexpected was the tour of he kitchen garden (arranged by my wife as she is a school Head of Science). Not what I would have obviously gone for but truly fascinating with Head Gardner Paul a fantastic host and a mine of information on growing all things edible. An informative hour and the highlight of our stay. What a star - easily beat the spa !

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

Beautiful Hotel

Our room was beautiful, spacious and tastefully decorated. We stayed with our 5 month old baby, lots of space for a travel cot. Bed was really comfortable and views from our room were lovely. Staff were very welcoming and helpful on arrival and tended to any requests we had. Great selection for breakfast, pastries were so fresh! Wish we could have stayed longer!

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

Enjoyable start to the New Year.

Would prefer to have been able to check in earlier as 3 pm is very late and check out is very early so one would want to be staying for 3-4 days to get the benefit out of the stay especially if one was travelling a long distance to get there.

Room very comfortable. Food excellent as always .

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

Staff very helpfull, breakfast excellent.

Room on website was much bigger the the one we stayed in.we were given wrong bill on departure but lovely staff quickly rectified this.

Staff very helpfull, breakfast excellent.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

Lovely stay in this hotel...

Felt the leisure facilities, pool dressing rooms could be updated. Jacuzzi mot warm. Towels grubby.

The ambiance was lovely in hotel... staff were fantastic. All so friendly and professional. Would hoghly recommend this hotel.. Food in restaurant in evening was best ever too .

Good for a romantic weekend or travel with family.
    • Deluxe Double Room

It is a pitty that the fireplace is not available to use in the suite :( it is advertised as it is working, but it isn't.

Very big Wallpool Suite with a nice architecture with high ceilings, very good cuisine.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

Beautiful atmospheric location but spoiled by poor service

Service was poor Very little interaction between visitor & staff No attention to detail Did not feel like a luxury break Drinks requested not available Food not available at certain times Better staff training required for hotel of this level Expensive

Scenic location Nice walks Leisure center & spa Nice Christmas atmosphere

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

Magic moments at Mount Falcon Estate

I loved the grounds of the Mount Falcon Estate. They were very beautiful and peaceful. The waiter in the restaurant was very helpful and attentive and went out of his way. The Highlight was definitely the clay pigeon shooting! Great afternoon!

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

The lovely welcome from the women at reception.

When getting food in the restaurant(night time) one member of staff wasnt one bit happy too help he basically siad its not a mcdonalds you cant pick r choice whats on/ whats not on the menu and wouldnt check if the chef could make something too my needs only for another staff member checked and was so helpful but very shocked with the other staff member than he couldnt do enough for us cos the other staff member showed him up..

The lovely welcome from the women at reception.the room was lovely and the bed was really comfy. The grounds was a lovely walk very relaxing.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

Beautiful location but could definitely be improved - not as luxury as they market themself
    • Superior Twin Room

The overall cleanliness of the room wasn't top-notch as you would expect from a luxury accommodation (e.g. dust etc.). The SPA could easily benefit from a revamp (only 2 deckchair for the whole facility...also they run out of towels during a busy Sunday!). We also had dinner in The Kitchen Restaurant with great expectation (considering its award) but I wouldn't recommend eating there as it was an average experience - most likely not worth the price.

Lovely context as the estate is quite big and incorporates the woods, a lake and overall a great stay in the nature. Staff is friendly and super available for most requests.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

The grounds around Mount Falcon are immaculately kept.

The grounds around Mount Falcon are immaculately kept. Stunning and tranquil surrounds. The staff in the hotel and the spa are warm, happy and welcoming. Breakfast was delicious! We had a wonderful experience and we look forward to returning in the future.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2018

The presentation, grounds, activities are terrific.

The presentation, grounds, activities are terrific.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

ENJOY !!
    • Deluxe Double Room

It's like a home away from home

Every thing about this place is amazing

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Lovely hotel, friendly staff

Dinner was too formal and much too expensive at 59 euro per head.

Room was gorgeous

Beautiful retreat

Cost of tours onsite

Attentive service, lovely restaurant

This house has a very lovely atmosphere and is a true country house experience.
    • Deluxe Double Room

That the veg garden was off limits ;(

Peace and grandeur and squeaky floorboards

Accomm we had had a strange bathroom huge but poorly designed. Lighting was very poor.

Peace and grandeur and squeaky floorboards

Wonderful

Just feels as though a few extra touches could push it further into the luxury zone it so clearly could be in.

Lovely food, fantastic staff.

Amazing trip.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Amazing trip. Stunning hotel and grounds.staff lovely especially martin the falconer

Beautiful building and location

Tired rooms, a bit old fashioned, poor tv, furniture tatty

Beautiful building and location

Had a wonderful relaxing time - staff extremely nice

Lovely place. Staff very nice and helpful. Breakfast was delicious

The leisure centre

The dinner menu was limited. Bar food in the evening would be a nice option

The leisure centre

I loved it

I loved it

Amazing food for dinner and breakfast

Amazing food for dinner and breakfast

Good size quite rooms with big king-size beds .
    • Superior Single Room

Good size quite rooms with big king-size beds .

Big spacious rooms

Check out too early 11 am

Big spacious rooms

class food, class spot, just the best stay

everything was perfect

class food, class spot, just the best stay

My stay was very relaxing and enjoyable.

Everything was excellent.

We had a very enjoyable stay.

It was fab the rooms were massive and gardens were beautiful.

It was fab the rooms were massive and gardens were beautiful. The staff were lovely and the food was gorgeous.

spa,dirty pool room, rubbish high tea,

spa,dirty pool room, rubbish high tea,

Relaxing on a winter's night

View from our room overlooked the back service yard for kitchen etc. Can't be helped

Beds are comfy and bath is a fantastic size

Lovely stay again, will be back.

Maybe a little biscuit for a cup of tea in the bedroom.

As always in Mount Falcon attentive helpful staff, lovely stay.

Happy customer

Found it a little cold and small I.e the boathhole bar

Food was fantastic staff lovely

Excellent for rest and relaxation
    • Superior Twin Room

Beautiful hotel and grounds. Leisure center and Spa was excellent.

Great holiday for friends and family with wide spread interests
    • Superior Twin Room

The food was good, but not quite as good or varied as last year

The fishing on the lake and the falconer were great

Ideal for a break away from busy days

The restaurant and food were excellent, the room was perfect , the bathroom was ideal , size and facilities

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Excellent stay at Mount Falcon

Breakfast average Radiators in bedroom too small for such a big room

Friendliness of staff Proper monetary discount because of problems

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

Anniversary treat.

No complaints.

Extremely comfortable room. Lovely food. Attentive, polite and helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

Stunning Location

Poor selection teas & instant coffee in the room need Nespresso machines

Swimming pool & outside woodland were really gorgeous

A very luxurious relaxing stay.lovely staff and surroundings.food great.

Wifii

Beds great.room and bathroom huge.service great.