Reviews of The Galmont Hotel & Spa 4 stars

Lough Atalia Road, Galway, Ireland

#11 of 42 hotels in Galway

• Superior King Room

I stayed here for our Honeymoon after driving over from the UK I parked underneath the hotel in a very secure location for my car. I used it every day leaving in the morning and coming back at 5-7pm and always had a spot waiting for me. We received a free upgrade on arrival which was a very nice surprise as I had emailed ahead asking which restaurants to take my new wife to. They duelly obliged in sending me 3-4 very good suggestions. The staff were very helpful and made you feel nothing was ever too much. On our final day when leaving they also waved the parking bill which I was also very grateful for as at that point my money had got to a very small amount!

• Classic Room

Have to pay for parking . Room was expensive enough without adding €8 on for parking. Also room was a bit far from lobby we had to get two different lifts to rooms after walking all around level one poor lay out

Fine hotel for a function.

• Superior Seaview Room

I didn't like to system that has to use room key in the elevator to get to room floors.

It is a modern facility (built about 2001). The A/C was good. Parking under hotel worked well.

• Superior Seaview Room

We would prefer it if the SPA was included in the price, but in general, everything was great!.

Loved the surprise for our anniversary, assorted chocolates and written note Happy Anniversary! Loved it! I think they also gave us a better room, so we had a nice view. Appreciate this a lot! Room was great, loved the huge and comfortable bed. Used the Thermal Suite too - we are used that the SPA is usually included in the price, but we had to pay 40€ extra (for both) to use the SPA. All treatments were booked so no luck there, but it is our fault as we didn't book it before we arrived. The breakfast was really nice and you can order if you want something special that they don't have the standard breakfast. It is really close to the centre.

• Superior King Room

Check in Staff/Front of house were not the friendliest. A small task of borrowing a phone charger was an issue. I couldn't borrow a charger and sit in the bar with it? I had to hand my phone in to be charged....... Did the staff think I was going to keep the charger???

• Classic Room

Had to wait 40 minutes beyond 3pm to get in room. Service on patio slow, poor. So called automatic door required pushing. Fine, just relabel.

Food good. Lobby nice. Patio nice. Good location. Most personnel quite cordial.

• Superior King Room

Fantastic location with an easy walk to the town centre. The room was large with a huge comfy bed and I wish that we had stayed longer than 2 nights. The restaurant and bar downstairs was welcoming and the staff were friendly and helpful. Loved it.

• Superior King Room

The fan in the bathroom was broken so the room was overcome with steam from the shower. The receptionist was far from welcoming on arrival during check-in. Overall a disappointing hotel for the price.

Perfect location close to Galway city centre.

• Classic Room

Car park is not free €8 for 1 overnight stay. Spa is only accessible from the first floor - which you have to walk to in your robes and slippers and the elevators are glass!

Beautiful spacious clean hotel Beautiful views and only a small walk from the middle of the town

• Superior King Room

We had booked 2 double rooms .Our son s first floor room was nice . Ours ,which was at the 4th floor was clean and tidy but all the furniture were old and timeworn - these rooms need a good renovation ! Plus ,the price was quite high for that type of room .

Very good location . Stylish lobby . Excellent staff services ! The breakfast was really good .

• Superior King Room

The bathrooms need refurbishment. Value for money was not great.

The location of the hotel next to the water was very nice. Bar (could do with a wider selection of cider) and restaurant were cosy and we had a nice view while eating dinner. The bed was comfy and the breakfast was really good.

Property in need of upgrading - nothing major, just touch ups. As is, property is on the expensive side for what you get. We did not have the time to try the Spa so we cannot comment on that.

Free buffet breakfast was very nice quality and multiple selections. Staff very friendly, helpful and professional.

• Classic Room

Robes in the room are not designed for the rounded figure

Well proportioned rooms with extremely comfortable beds, good range of facilities (ironing board, safe, coffee machine, tea making, fridge) spectacular view and good relaxation area in the room. The staff were friendly, efficient and knowledgeable. Services on offer were excellent

• Superior Seaview Room

Little enthusiasm/effort getting us 2 taxis quickly when requested at front desk. No urgency in advising there would be a 20 minute wait when aware of our schedule. Seemed to make up that it was just the day that was in it. Cancelled taxis, found a number and called our own, taxi arrived in 2 mins. Disappointed with that customer service blemish, but that was the exception to the rule, otherwise very good service.

Comfortable hotel, generally friendly staff, big room, comfy bed, great location (right beside train/Eyre sq.), very tasty breakfast.

• Superior Seaview Room

There was nothing to not like

It is perfectly situated in Galway. The staff , especially in the Marine Restraunt were extremely well trained and attentive without being overbearing. The leisure facilities are amazing with and outside jacuzzi and the staff were very friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend this hotel. For customer service it is 100%

• Superior Seaview Room

The breakfast was awful, cold and not good quality produce, no bathrobes in bedrooms like there was previously, the front foyer of the hotel looks awful, the furniture very small and dull for such a big space

The bedrooms were fantastic, very comfortable, warm, fantastic view, staff very pleasant, location cudnt be better

• Superior King Room

Could have been cleaner, very busy...and our room was in a weird spot.

Large hotel, we had a view of the inside lobby from our room, weird. My son had a view of the roof of lobby. Location was great and walking distance to center of Galway without being too close to the action. Breakfast was great.

• Superior King Room

You have to pay €3 for a swimming hat in order to use the pool. The reception staff were unwelcoming when checking in. We arrived at 12 o’clock and said they would put us on a priority list to check in. We wandered in to Galway for some lunch and arrived back at the hotel at 2 o’clock. We asked if the room was ready, the staff at reception told us it would be another half an hour. Finally they changed allocation of our room and we were able to check in. In addition the lift does not work properly. It does not take you to the floor you request.

• Superior Seaview Room

It was listed as a sea view room but we were looking down on the car park and beer garden. The bed was large and comfortable but it was two mattresses pushed together. Considering the cost of the room, which was quite high, I personally think car parking should be included.

Breakfast was good. The location was convenient. The bed in the room was comfortable. The room was ready an hour earlier than the check in time.

• Superior King Room

I honestly cannot find anything we didn't like or had fault with

Our room was beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean, the bed was extremely comfortable and huge , the bed linen was high quality and the little extras like bottled water and chocolates were lovely but more importantly every member of staff we encountered were very pleasant and helpful I would highly recommend staying here

• Superior King Room

The standard of the breakfast was very poor -a large quantity but poor standard. and the food generally was not good. It was ok -but breakfast was inedible -omelette over cooked and fruit not ripe.

• Classic Room

Coffee at breakfast wasn't the best don't drink tea so had to have a fruit tea also don't like the idea when I come back in October some of my English guests will have to pay for parking their hired car at the hotel 🙁

• Classic Room

The bed was extremely comfortable, I loved that there was a fridge in the room. There were vegetarian and vegan options in the restaurant, which is very important to us. The hotel was a very short walk to the coach station ( we traveled by Citylink bus from Dublin aiport). It was also convenient to all major attractions in Galway. We took advantage of the fitness classes offered at the gym and enjoyed the outdoor hot tub and the sauna. The Galmont was a bit fancy for the casual clothes we bought with us for our walking holiday, but I appreciated the glamour of the place. Would definitely stay again.

• Classic Room

There was no toilet paper in our room , when asked at reception they asked for my room number and they said someone would be right up but no one ever came. Very disappointed.

• Superior King Room

Hidden car park charges 11euro per night. shower in bath not working.. Not a great view from room...

As above nice location polite staff clean tidy nice food..

• Superior King Room

Tea and coffee and water not replenished, could have been cleaner, breakfast service was awful, lifts were busy around check out

Great location, amazingly comfortable bed, good breakfast offering

• Superior King Room

We were slightly disturbed by the noise on Sunday night as there was an event on. We closed the window and then it was better but the room was a bit stuff without the fresh air.

The bed was very large which was great as our two boys jumped in beside us.

• Superior Seaview Room

Food wasn't fresh. Staff were not helpful slightly rude when asking for something after paying €240 for one nights stay was expecting nicer service

Rooms were clean and great location

• Superior King Room

We dined in Maria's restaurant on Saturday. We found the restaurant expensive for what we got. We feel we should have free parking during our stay. And the pillows too soft. Cleaning staff and all other staff very efficient and friendly.

• Superior King Room

No vending machines or snacks behind the bar if you’re peckish in the evenings.

Stunning view from the balcony just off the bar of the hotel. Possibly the comfiest bed I have ever slept in and such a central location. The spa facilities were also amazing came away feeling so relaxed.

• Superior Seaview Room

Big queues at Breakfast but was bank holiday. Sometimes the two lifts were a bit slow. No BT sport on the Bar telly I missed the Moto GP race live on Sunday🏍

King bed comfy. Location to centre. Parking included in my rate. Bar area. Good brekkie choice. Views across the water. Safe provided in room.

• Classic Room

We just felt a little disappointed, after reading great reviews and with the four star rating we expected a bit more. Unfortunately the service from the staff during our stay was not great, with the exception of the lady at the desk of the thermal suite/fitness area no one was welcoming or friendly. Cobwebs in corners of room and a couple of things missing. Nothing major to complain about it was all just a bit lacklustre and I personally wouldn’t recommend it.

The location is excellent, breakfast was fantastic lots of choice and plenty of it, bed comfy.

• Classic Room

Paying €8 for parking on top of room rate is a bit much. The lifts in hotel are a bit chaotic, can end up traveling up and down before getting to floor U want as it depends on who presses it first, given the size of the hotel u can be stuck for some time

Location is excellent. Decor and cleanliness is of high standard

• Superior King Room

For 250 euro we could have least got a room with the view of the net, not the revenue building

I loved the size of the bed, and the leisure facilities are amazing.

• Classic Room

Paying for parking in the hotel when your a guest is not very good , this would definitely put me off returing to this hotel.

Staff were very friendly . Food was good . Bed was comfortable.

• Classic Room

Only a small gripe, Don't like paying extra for parking. (Even though it was only a small amount)

Good clean hotel, staff friendly and efficient, great location.

• Superior King Room

I liked most of my stay but just disappointed in room x

I did like the hotel but our shower didn't work in room I did say it ...but was not fixed ..we where 25 years married and was a little disappointed..

• Superior Seaview Room

A little on the expensive side

Location excellent, excellent breakfast--- lots to choose from, my husband loved the black and white pudding!!!, very nice decor, staff very pleasant,

• Superior King Room

Staff in the restaurant at breakfast could be more attentive, especially when it was quiet! (Or please just install a self serve coffee machine so we can sort it ourselves). Again waiting for food took a long time, tried to order poached eggs only to be told by the kitchen staff I had to ask a waiter, but as above, they were not attentive or even on the floor so went without.

Room is very comfortable and gives a great nights sleep. This is my 6th stay and I noticed no difference since its transition from Radisson Blu to the Galmont.

• 'Level 5' Executive Floor

The TV didn't work on the first night and not mini bar even though both are advertised as being part of the room facilitites. It was an executive room costing €560 for 2 nights. Complained twice but not offered a discount or recompense.

Was lovely, clean and comfortable.

• Classic Room

Parking for guests was expensive, we were not told at check in that breakfast was included. Outdoor and indoor Jacuzzis were not working.

Breakfast was excellent. Room was very comfortable and clean. Great location for visiting the city.

• Superior Seaview Room

The bathroom's sink and the bath tub were both clogged.

Situated near the city centre and the view was beautiful. The pool and the jacuzzis were great. Marina's grill had vegan & vegetarian options.

• Superior King Room

Somebody tried to enter my room around 3 am , reception didn't care , just a comment that's good they didn't gain access. It was middle of the night it's frightening and also I couldn't sleep rest of night!

• Classic Room

That there were 2 plastic bottles in each room, why have these when there are glasses in the room, with available tap water and ice , what a huge amount of plastic waste every single day of the year :( this one small change would greatly help the environment , please reconsider your current policy.

Water in bathroom was filtered and therefore drinkable and ice machine available , breakfast was excellent

• Classic Room

The reception staff could have been a bit more welcoming and friendly. I was unaware that there was a fee for parking, which I find unacceptable - both for there being a fee and for not being made aware of it before booking the hotel.

• Superior Seaview Room

Not much to say here,but maybe a little bit confusing on how to use the lifts with the key card for first timers to this type of lift system,but I suppose it's a safety feature .

Very clean and very close to the train station and staff were very nice

• Superior Seaview Room

Disappointed. The hotel has done nothing except change the name. The hotel Room was in need of a deep clean, the carpet and chairs heavily stained, the bedside lockers damaged. The bath appeared stained presumably with age.

• Classic Room

I did not like the set menu offered with the deal. It was bland and lack taste.

The employees who worked at the hotel were very welcoming and could not do enough for my friends and I. Very enjoyable experience.

• Superior Seaview Room

Air conditioning. It was hard to get the right temperature. For me it was too warm. But it was bearable.

Breakfast was delicious. Dinner was amazing. Highly recommend the Galmont to anybody! Location cannot be beaten.

• Superior King Room

Very poor after paying four hundred for two nights that you had to pay extra for parking which brought the price up. Also you weren't allowed check in until three o clock . The rooms were nice but bathroom was not four star quality . I said in powerscourt last super for 400 euro and it's a five star hotel tv in bathrooom amazing bed etc . This hotel at a four star is extremely over priced and I don't think that's satisfactory .

• Superior King Room

Breakfast was very poor . The pastries were stale . A lot of food seemed to be reheated / used from the day before . I ordered poached eggs they took 20 minutes to come and were cold when they arrived .

• Superior Seaview Room

The locality was great, very central. Bars, shops and restaurants all within walking distance. Room clean and very comfortable. Breakfast choice was excellent.

• Classic Room

The breakfast begins at 7 am. We could’t have it in our last day because we had a very early bus to Dublin Airport. However, the staff arrenged to us a little bite, with cereal, yogurt, bread, butter and juices. Very sweet of them!

The location is great, very close to New Coach Station, where the express bus from and to Dublin arrives/departs and where the major tours to the Burren and The Cliffs of Moher departs. The breakfast is delicious! The staff is great!

• Classic Room

We really enjoyed our stay but was a bit disappointed with the room. This was my second stay in the hotel & both times got rooms without a bathtub, was the walk in shower type room. The view from the window also was quite disappointing for the price paid. Just lacked that bit of luxury we experienced everywhere else in the hotel.

• Classic Room

Only something small but I think it would be great for the hotel to expand the range of cider available, such as Orchard Thieves and Kopparberg. That is only a very minor thing though.

Staying was a lovely experience overall.The restaurant Marinas was amazing, myself and my boyfriend couldn't believe it. The room was lovely too. Staff were also extremely helpful.

• Business Class Room

The food in the bar wasn't great and was expensive for the quality of it compared to the main restaurant. The bedroom looked a bit tired with mildew and cracking around the window and the carpets are dated.

The hotel has a central location for all that Galway city has to offer. The underground car-park has a reasonable flat fee of 8 euro per day for guests at the hotel. The staff were polite and informative of the local area.

• Superior Seaview Room

Bathroom was small could benefit with a stronger air extractor fogs the mirror and makes the room hot and stuffy.

Very enjoyable beds very comfy. Room temperature excellent . Good location staff very friendly and efficient

• Classic Room

Signage for toilets could be better and can you can only access the lower car park using the lift which is in heavy use [had to go up and down a few times before we got to the right level!]

Great central location with parking, good breakfast and nice pool & leisure centre.

• Classic Room

A bit of a trek getting to our room. 2 separate lifts and 2 long corridors. Storage heaters not great in the room. Our room was facing the main entrance of the hotel, windows not very sound proof.

Close to Eyre square. Great layout for breakfast.

• 'Level 5' Executive Floor

With the door between each room we could easily hear our guest neighbors talking. Initially thought it was someone out side our front door but sadly not. More soundproofing needed here imo.

Room excellent!

• Superior Seaview Room

Planned to eat in ‘coopers lounge’ in the evening but it was full. They recommended their restaurant ‘marinas grill’ but it was expensive so we went into city centre.

Bar staff very friendly and helpful, fantastic cocktails! Lovely view of Lough Atalia from our business class room on 4th floor. Decor very modern.

• 'Level 5' Executive Floor

No shaving points in bathroom and lighting not great. Not updated the logo on towels , linen etc and spa pool not great for price

Room service and staff good, free executive lounge drinks were great !! View from level 5 good

• Superior Seaview Room

The lifts were a nightmare.

Bottles of water in the room twice a day. Bathrobes and slippers in the room. Also shampoo, conditioner, shower gel & body lotion in separate bottles,

• Superior King Room

There were NO sport channels on the bedroom TV which was disappointing. The service in the Bar/eating area was extremely SLOW.

The breakfasts were awesome - loved the croissants and the omlettes. Our bed was extra big and very comfy!! Location was perfect!

• Superior Seaview Room

Had to ask for our drinks during dinner and lunch a few times as they never arrived, just seems like poor communication between waiters and bar staff. Other then that an exceptional hotel highly recommend

• Classic Room

Nice enough however did not meet expectations at all. Price very expensive for what you get. Pay parking and had to buy swimming cap to go to pool! Staff weren’t overly friendly and weren’t asked how we found our stay or any interest in our stay when we checked out.

Great location, comfy bed and amazing bath!

• Superior King Room

The was the 4th place we stayed in Ireland. This was the worst, staff wasn't friendly and the hotel is no where close to what you see online. the outdoor hot tub overlooks large fuel tanks

The morning breakfast was "ok" but nothing to brag about.

• Superior King Room

Had to call down for toothpaste.

Great location right next to the train station and eyre square. The reception staff were all more then pleased to help with any question we had. Breakfast was good, great selection.

• Superior King Room

the breakfast would be better served to your table rather than a buffet as everything was cold and queuing for toast there should be someone there just to hand out the toast

Bed very comfortable

• Classic Room

Staff were extremely friendly with good humour to make us feel more at home. Food & service outstanding. Will definitely be returning with out 4 yr old in tow! So handy to get to and 2 mins walk to city centre.

• Superior King Room

The lifts are made of glass and so we were seen feeling each other up in the lifts. Hot caught with my hands down her pants. Literally.

Beds were super comfy for me and my fancy woman. Never left the bar all weekend and we got on first name terms with the bar staff. Thanks Isabella

• Classic Room

Breakfast was exceptional. I loved the little display outside the breakfast room for takeaway tea/coffee. The bedroom was lovely, spacious and comfy. Our check in was very quick and smooth, your staff Brian was very helpful.

• Classic Room

Just a suggestion really but to have snack foods available in the bar, peanuts, Pringles, crisps etc.

Huge bed, spacious room with all the comforts. Lovely breakfast. Excellent location.

• Superior King Room

Bathroom in room was a disabled bathroom. There was no bath/fixed shower screen, it was a full wet room. There was also no unit around basin to leave toiletries etc... when we asked reception why we had a disabled room they said that it was the way the room was booked online. The booking I made had no mention of a bathroom like this and I felt that the photographs on the website were very misleading... We had dinner in the restaraunt on Saturday evening and paid by card. On checking out we were informed at reception that we were overcharged, that a credit had been made to the card and we had to pay again.. on inspection of the bills we had been undercharged at the time of the dinner by approx 9€, this was added to the updated bill at the time of checkout... Fair enough we were undercharged, I had no problem paying but I felt that a bit of an ordeal was made about 9€. It was not our fault that we had been undercharged and we had payed for the meal the previous evening. The fact that he told us a lie that we had been overcharged the previous day was the most upsetting part, if he had told us the truth I would have appreciated it more..

• Classic Room

Our bed was uncomfortable and we both left with sore/stiff backs. I got a takeaway cup of tea at the bar which was €3 and I felt that was extortionate.

Food was lovely for breakfast.