Reviews of Rathbaun Hotel 2 stars

Main Street, Lisdoonvarna, Ireland

#8 of 16 hotels in Lisdoonvarna

Lisdoonvarna, a bit of Heaven in West Ireland

People, music was just Wonderful!! Ceolan played every night, just a fantastic group! Lovely room, and comfortable bed. Very clean, with wonderful service.

Lynn and her husband were tremendous hosts.

Can’t think of any negatives.

Lynn and her husband were tremendous hosts. Live music was on until 11:30PM and food available until 11 PM. A good location for exploring the Burren and the Cliffs of Moher. Excellent stop on the way to Gallway.

Very helpful and polite staff, particularly the owner, John,...

Slightly surprised that the cooked breakfast cost €14 on top of the cost of the included continental breakfast and I was not advised of the price before hand. Which pushed the overall cost to the wrong side of pricey. But it was an excellent breakfast though.

Very helpful and polite staff, particularly the owner, John, and two daughters. Bedroom and bathroom a bit dated but very clean and comfortable

Lovely spot

The shower was very poor. Water just dribbled out. That's the only complaint!

Lovely staff. Great live music. Nice breakfast. Central location. Carpark across the road was ideal. Photos on this don't do it justice.

Good hotel. Central location

In the room we were in you could hear noise from the pub below and people coming in and out but it wasn't too bad.

Nice location. Comfortable, clean hotel. Nice base for exploring the Burren and Clare

Excellent family run hotel with live music. Very friendly owners who take customer service seriously

The rooms are a bit dark and you do hear the music. Not very loudly, but you do. Like most places in Ireland prices have gone up and you find it just a bit too expensive. The breakfast at 14 Euros is nice, but still totally overpriced. You will find cheaper and better value just next doors.

Family enterprise. They do take excellent care of their customers. Super advice on where to go, what to do, restaurant and excursion recommendations. If you like Irish music, this is an excellent place to stay as they've got their own life bands in their bar/restaurant.

Friendly enjoyable and great searney

The view from room not great would have liked a better view only there for two nights if I had stayed longer would have ask to change rooms

Staff very friendly and helpful .rooms outdated but clean. Good location to get to Doolin etc

Very Friendly Family-Run Hotel, Great Rooms & Excellent Live Music From the House Band.

Having to get back on the road the next day. Another night would have been great.

We stayed at the Rathbaun Hotel on Friday night and it was a really enjoyable stay. The Rathbaun is a warm and friendly, family-run hotel. The staff make you feel very welcome on arrival and the rooms are clean and spacious. The evening entertainment/ live music in the bar downstairs was just exeptional. The young lad from Cavan belted out a spectacular rendition of the "Auld Triangle" with his fellow musicians. Great Stay - Highly Reccommend! :)

Very Pleasant

much better room than we expected, very comfortable and of a good standard. The staff were very helpful and attentive and thanked us for staying with them.

We found our stay to be very pleasant, the food and the amenities were very good the people very fri

I cannot think of anything I did not like

We found this hotel very central to all amenities and very pleasant staff and the owner's were so helpful I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel for a break

A pleasant place to stay.

I was quite happy with accomodation. Decided not to opt for breakfast as I thought it a bit pricy and I don't eats loads at that time.

Very friendly staff. Music in the evening was a bonus. Comfortable clean room.

It's a friendly, comfortable place to stay.

It's a great place, I like that it's a family owned hotel. Everyone was friendly and helpful. They made sure we had information about dinner and music in the restaurant and told us about places to go in the area.

Fabulous breakfast and lady in the dining room couldn't...

A bit old fashioned. Very loud until nightly music session ended at midnight. Also we were right over the kitchen which meant the fans were on until late also. 2 adults and two children booked (no option on booking for adjoining rooms) and our rooms were in 2 different sections of hotel.

Fabulous breakfast and lady in the dining room couldn't do enough for us. Also handy little bit of a shop downstairs with chocolate paracetamol and other essentials.

Any thing asked for was no trouble to staff.

The friendliness of the staff.

Any thing asked for was no trouble to staff. Lynn & John were particularly very helpful with local knowledge and where best to see.

The breakfast was excellent.

Had to climb stairs which my wife found slightly difficult but did know there was no lift before booking. She was willing to do this because of its location in the center of the town.

The breakfast was excellent. Freshly prepared and cooked food which makes such a difference

Great hotel but know that the music will keep you up.

I asked for a quiet room but we got a room directly over the music. Our friend, who got a room in the front, also got no sleep b/c she heard everyone leaving the restaurant (as well, the hotel sign apparently squeaked and banged all night from the wind blowing it). Super little hotel but just know, sleep won't happen till later in the night.

The staff, the hot water, fairly comfy beds, and the kettle in the room were all great, but it was the live music that really brought us here. The three ladies performed from 8 to midnight, no breaks, and they were super. The food in the restaurant was hot and tasty. Breakfast was satisfactory.

Great location in the middle of the town.

It doesn’t have its own carpark. However there is a public carpark across the road

Great location in the middle of the town. Fantastic value. Brilliant breakfast. Helpful staff.

Unforgettable Stay!

I would highly recommend this hotel! Such a lovely hotel with amazing staff! My fiancee booked us in to stay here when he proposed to me at the Cliffs of Moher at the weekend! The hotel manager and all of the staff were all in on the secret and were so super excited for us! They celebrated with us after and treated us so well! It was really special to be able to stay in a place that celebrated with us on our special occasion. The food was delicious-especially the chowder. The music downstairs every night was brilliant fun! Great to hear some traditional music over dinner or a drink. Brilliant staff and a lovely homely atmosphere in the hotel. Breakfast was also gorgeous. We will definitely be back when we are married! :)

Live Irish music 8pm to midnight.

One of the reasons I booked this hotel was for the live music and the hotel sent me an email informing me the music would play from 8pm till midnight. We would only listen to the music till about 10pm so I requested a quiet room but got one right over the music. Our friend's room was in the front and it wasn't any better as not only did she hear the music but also people exiting when the music was done at midnight. The music is fantastic and the hotel is awesome so if you book, just go in knowing there will be noise no matter what room you are in.

The staff were lovely, there was excellent hot water and the place was very clean. The bed was fairly comfy (although the comforter was very heavy) and we are always happy to have a kettle in the room. It was great having extra pillows in the cupboard. The live music was wonderful.

Nice place to stay before going to Aran Islands

The beds were rather hard and the pillow was super flat.

The location was great. Parking is across the street in a parking lot with a recycling facility. There's music that goes until about midnight.

Wonderful place to stay a short drive from Cliffs of Moher.

Great location about a 10 minute drive away from the Cliffs of Moher. Very friendly & helpful staff. Wonderful live traditional Irish music at night. Good selection of meals available.

With breakfast included it ticked all the boxes for our stay.

The room and ensuite were a good size and very acceptable but it was quite basically furnished and decor quite bland and dull. More colour and some modernisation to brighten would improve this room no end and give it a warmer welcome and appeal.

This family run small hotel was very welcoming and all the staff iwere extremely helpful. Breakfast was great with lots of choice including full Irish,fresh fruit and home made preserves. Enough to set you up for the day!! There was Clean fresh bedding and white fluffy towels. We would definitely come again.

Very kind staff who provided us with plenty info about...

Very kind staff who provided us with plenty info about things to do and see around. Bed was very comfy. Located by the main road in Lisdoonvarna, very close to pubs, restaurants and GAA stadium.

Excellent. Will be back

Can’t really fault it. Maybe tv could have more stations. But that didn’t bother us as we were out and about all the time

Staff were lovely. Nice homely feel to it. Bedroom was clean and comfortable. On a great location. Great value. Can’t fault it at all.

Little gem in the village.

The staff were so friendly and helpful with may suggestions on where to visit, how to get there and the best times. The breakfasts lovely (and are also served until quite late if you like the extra lie in bed). The rooms come with a kettle so you can make tea & coffee and the biscuits are tasty. The location is right in the middle of the village. The bar was closed when we visited but there are others to chose from in close walking distance.

Lovely welcome and given lots of local information.

Lighting in room was quite harsh, bedside lights would have been nice.

Lovely welcome and given lots of local information. Freshly prepared breakfast was very good.

Not one bad thing to say.

Brilliant location, lovely staff very helpful, such a clean hotel and would highly recommend it. Breakfast until 12 made the stay even more pleasant. Will be recommending this to all family and friends.

JUST WHAT I EXPECTED AND WANTED IRELAND TO BE LIKE. EVERYONE VERY FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL

NOTHING TO DISLIKE

THIS WAS WHAT I EXPECTED AND WANTED FROM OUR FIRST VISIT TO IRELAND. LOVELY HOTEL WITH VERY HELPFUL FRIENDLY STAFF. GOOD FOOD AND ACCOMMODATION AND EXCELLANT ENTERTAINMENT IN THE FORM OF A TRADITIONAL IRISH GROUP PLAYING AND SINGING EACH NIGHT. DEFINATELY RECOMMEND A VISIT.

I would just say thanks to Lynn and John and the entire staff.

Nothing, really. The place was rocking with great music until late at night, but the music is part of their specialness. So, I didn't mind hearing the music from my room.

The best part about my stay at the Rathbaun had to do with the family that runs the place. They work as a team to make sure that every person who walks in the door gets the best service and treatment possible. I really didn't have to ask for anything, they provided everything I needed and more. I was traveling alone and they recognized that and made me feel really accepted and welcomed. When I was having computer issues, Lynn made a call to a friend of hers and he was there to help within a few minutes. I appreciated the entire staff, and would stay there again and recommend the place, as well. Patsy Medill, Kansas City, Missouri

excellent

everything was very good and cannot fault staff. after my unfortunate 'incident' everyone could not have done more for me and especially for my wife.

did not use them

Not happy as I booked room for €180 but was charged €200. manager had bad attitude. Please refund

I booked twin room online on August 15th at a price of €180 B and B. inc.VAT. On receiving confirmation price was €183.49 plus VAT which came to €200. this was not what I had booked but management insisted I pay €200. I never booked at that price. Please refund the €20

limited breakfast menu but what was served was of a high quality. Service was good and staff were very helpful and courteous. Management not so much so. Disappointed overall.

We had tp ask to change rooms because of the loud irish music playing beneath our floor.Rooms 21, 22

The fact that thw room was not soundproofed for the irish music band playing directly below us until midnight

Our room no.22 was diectly over the music room. The music was playing loudly until 12 midnight.It was very loud through the floor.

Good quality quiet pub style accomodation, reasonable cost. Good sized rooms.

Well located in the middle of town. Great in house traditional band "Ceolan" who played a full 4 hour set. Lisdoonvarna is well located for visiting the famous Cliffs of Moher and the Burren. Off site parking was a short walk.

The warmest welcome I have ever received was from John when...

The warmest welcome I have ever received was from John when I arrived at the Rathbaun hotel! Had a great nights entertainment from the ceolan band in the hotel bar and the best nights sleep in a homely, cosy hotel!

Quirky old style, friendly staff

The music from downstairs although were VERY good; were very loud. Luckily we were tired enough to sleep through it before the performances ended at midnight.

It's a quirky, old-feel motel, with friendly staff. The room was spacious. Very good live Irish music.

We had room above bar and it was very loud until midnight, beware. Breakfast price was not advertised so we assumed it was included but it was not. Good food though.

Friendly staff. Excellent location for exploring burrens, cliffs of Mohr, and coastline.

full Irish experience of lodging, food and music and of course a pint of Guinness

The Staff was super nice and welcoming We are the restaurant and enjoyed the local music i think its a great place to enjoy a full Irish experience of lodging, food and music and of course and pint of Guinness

Very nice family run hotel closed to Cliffs of Moher.

The bed was not so confortable and we could smell the oil from the kitchen in your room

Very nice family run hotel closed to Cliffs of Moher. Good and simple restaurant with live music. Very nice with kids. Good playground just opposite of the hotel

Lynn and the family that runs this B&B are very friendly...

Lynn and the family that runs this B&B are very friendly and helpful with directions in the area. They have live music at night with a place to lounge, eat, and drink that felt local to Ireland. Great place to stay to get a quiet local feel.

Fantastic....

Nothing.......not a single complaint....

From the minute you walk in to this Hotel John and Lynn plus staff make you feel right at home...it was wonderful....our room was great, overlooking the street, beds were super comfy, very clean...food was tasty, the entertainment was out of this world, four young people played and sang for four hours every night....seven nights a week during the summer...in fact if was so good we stayed another night...

Convenient for Cliffs of Moher

Music till midnight every night.

The whole family is involved in some way in the running of the hotel and they put everything into it. All very friendly and especially helpful. My husband had difficulty with the cases because of the stairs, but they promptly took charge and delivered them to and from our room. Great service! The welcome tray in the room is what I call a REAL welcome tray!

GREAT ONE NIGHT STAY

NONE

Very friendly staff, great food, and we had local music as well, plus they sorted secure parking for our motorcycle which is always important to any touring motorcyclist ;-)

Great value for money and lovely staff

When we arrived, a child was welcoming guests and recommending attractions in the area- I am not a fan of this, but she was lovely, Bless her.

John the owner was very friendly and our welcome was very warm. Food at the hotel was lovely at night time.

The accommodation was lovely as were staff.

Didn't like the pre authorisation of payment for booking and money being held for such a long period. We paid in cash on day and that is the norm for me when booking accommodation in Ireland. Also I'm used to paying for B&B so the extra for breakfast was a little pricey.

The accommodation was lovely as were staff. Music and food in pub were excellent.

Fantastic place, really clean worth a stay!

The bed was too hard and drove my partner crazy as she was complaining all night. A simple thing as a good topper for the bed would make a huge difference.

Loved the staff they were really friendly and helpful and the breckfast was a really good fry.

A good place to lay your head

Stairs to rear rooms a bit steep.

Very friendly welcome at this town centre hotel cum restaurant. Free car parking in public car park a minute along the road. Good Irish music session in evening (8-12 midnight). Music can barely be heard in bedrooms. Good breakfast.

A small hotel in County Clare run by a very friendly Irish family

The parking was in a free public lot about 500' away. That is a minor negative. Otherwise we were pleased with the hotel.

The Rathbaun Hotel lived up to the internet ratings. The proprietors, John and Lynn are super nice people. Within minutes you feel they are your best friends. It's a very good hotel in a small town. The wait staff are super efficient. Everyone moves fast. We'd return just because of John and Lynn. The hotel had Irish music from 8 pm to past 11 pm. The small group never took a break. We'd never seen that before. If you are staying in the area we'd recommend the Rathbaun Hotel very highly. The hotel is an easy 15 minute drive from the Cliffs of Moher. One can use it as a base for a few days in County Clare to see the Burren and surrounding area.

This is a family owned hotel and the excellent service...

Mattress was too firm to my taste. Shower was a bit small. More clothes storage would be nice.

This is a family owned hotel and the excellent service reflects their involvement and appreciation towards their guests. You will be made to feel important to them. The regular nightly music was of a high quality and enjoyed by many.

Super Friendly and Comfortable

The dinner menu was limited.

The staff at this hotel were exceptionally friendly and helpful. The hotel itself wasn't super fancy, but it was very well kept and the overall experience was great. The live music was really fun and inclusive (they had sing-along sheets for some songs). Their Irish Breakfast was among the best we had during our two week trip.

Don't look anywhere else. Superb.

This may sound strange but if you measure a place by the cleanliness of its urinal you would struggle to find a better place. These people have a wonderful one stop facility close to the Cliffs of Moher. Well done.

Good night in Lisdoonvarna. Great music.

The room was basic, but that's reflected in the price. The bed a tad lumpy. The shower was tiny, I'm a big fella and it was a little bit tight in there (showers are important to me, that's just the way it is).

Obviously a family run hotel and they're all super friendly and helpful. Fantastic entertainment, with traditional music every night and a decent pint of Guinness at the bar. A good place to stay if you're in this area and like traditional Irish music.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Excellent traditional style hotel with the warmth of welcome that is so seldom received anymore

This a traditional hotel, with the owners' living there. This is what makes the Rathbaun so special. Guests' are treated as welcome visitors, greeted by the owners', who ensure each guest is at ease, fully informed of all local attractions' and treated as family. It is spotless ! There is not 1 speck of dust to be found anywhere, from tops of wardrobes, to skirting boards', so a huge plus for those with respiratory conditions. Food is excellent and really well cooked and presented. Coeliacs are catered for. John and Lynne Connnolly are hosts' of a sort that is seldom met anymore. A refreshing change from the large, impersonal hotels'. Live music, free of charge every night. We heartily recommend it, and we will be back again, soon.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

Comfortable and friendly

Number one the staff were brilliant, helpful and informative. The location was good, indeed everyone was friendly and the hotel was clean and comfortable

Lovely stay! Fantastic music, food, and bar at Rathbaun

Loved how friendly the staff was at Rathbaun. The hotel restaurant/bar has traditional music each night from 8-12pm and the band is really good! Parking is easy, just on the next block over, and it's free. Rooms were spacious, wifi worked well, and there was a kettle, water, coffee/tea/biscuits. Highly recommend staying here.

Clean, friendly and well located gem

A room with a bath would be great. Guinness could be better.

Pleasantly surprised as online photos don't do it justice. Extremely friendly and hospitable staff. Great food and enjoyable entertainment. Rooms clean and spacious and bed very comfortable. Great breakfast. Will be back again.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

A good base for seeing the cliffs of Moher and the Burren.

The dining room was a little gloomy!

The shower was easy to work, and the temperature stayed steady! The owners were friendly and welcoming. There were tea making facilities in the room.

Staff are lovely.

Staff are lovely. Annette at breakfast was a joy. John and Lynn are great! The hotel is very central and clean. Great breakfast in the morning, made to order.

A Welcoming Home Base in Lisdoonvarna. 😊

The best thing is location and the wonderful welcome and attention given by Lynne, the manager. Great craic as it was during the wonderful Matchmaker Festival. Lynne made sure I understood there was dancing until 1am. A great stay. Breakfast great too.

Loved the location right in the middle of town.

We enjoyed our stay very much.

The folks who run the hotel were very kind, helpful and really nice people! The room and bath were super clean. Our room was above the bandstand but it wasn't a problem because we enjoyed falling asleep to sweet Irish music. The breakfast was tasty and well prepared.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

Choose this hotel because it's promoting nightly trad Irish live music. In reality it was very loud country and western which is not our favorite at all. It kept as awake to 1am both nights

• Reviewed: 3 September 2016

Excellent Value for Money

We only had an overnight stay - would have liked longer, apart from that, nothing to dislike.

Staff were super friendly and helpful. Lyn arranged to have our washing done for a very reasonable cost & assisted us with alternate travel plans the following day as the Cliffs of Moher were closed due to inclement weather. Beds were comfy and room well appointed. As it was a Saturday night we were able to enjoy the pub music. Breakfast was excellent. Would definitely stay there again.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

Staff were very friendly and helpful

The nightly music was not good, and it was so loud until 1 a.m . Also when we booked online it wouldn't allow more than 2 people in a room . When we checked in there were 2 beds in one room that would have been enough for the 2 adults and 1 child in our party. We ended up paying for 2 rooms when 1 would have sufficed.

Staff were very friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Visiting Clare

My husband missed not having a bath. When I booked the different hotels I forgot to ask for quiet room in Rathbaun and unfortunately when we retired for the night, the music was underneath our bedroom.

All staff very friendly. Family run business, very helpful. Excellent breakfast and delicious brown bread. Ate in three nights we stayed there, lovely soup,Irish stew and Coranation Chicken. Live music every night, very good.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Highly recommended hotel in beautiful Lisdoonvarna, County Clare, Ireland.

I highly recommend this hotel which is warm, welcoming, and set in a beautiful part of Ireland that really needs to be experienced. The hotel enjoys excellent live Irish music every night with a superb bar and menu. There is also a cafe for afternoon tea and a full Irish breakfast is offered with alternatives if this does not suit. The parking is free and very close to the front door!

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

Lovely stopover

There's nothing not to like really.

Friendly, clean, they called me in advance to let me know there would be music downstairs(thoughtful but not necessary). It was great to eat nice food and listen to live traditional music. They welcomed our little dog Vinnie(let them know in advance).

Lovely Hotel in a great village. Host's where brilliant and very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was excellent and generous m

Staff are great

Staff are great

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

View

Clean

Wonder ful day and eve. super nice hosts

Breakfast good

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Clean friendly staff and location

Staff ,food and entertainment

Staff very helpful and friendly.

The Irish music

The room was small and old fashioned.

The Irish music

Everything really

Everything really

Best place to stay!

Excellent place to stay.....nicely maintained property. Staff and owners were outstanding!Awesome place to stay!

Very friendly helpful staff, very clean hotel

Very friendly helpful staff, very clean hotel

Enterrtainment (Irish Music) is on during summer season and...

Enterrtainment (Irish Music) is on during summer season and good.