Reviews of Sandymount Hotel 4 stars

Herbert Road, Sandymount, D4 Dublin, Ireland

#40 of 136 hotels in Dublin

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Room was clean and staffs responded to my request...

Wi-Fi was unsecured. Should provide secured Wi-Fi as a good hotel.

Room was clean and staffs responded to my request immediately. Room service food was always very hot.

Lovely hotel, great location

The lift to the rooms is a little bit away from reception. The barrier to exit the carpark didn't seem to be working but no sign to advise of this. My husband had to go into reception to be told to exit via the entrance.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. The bedroom was lovely and spacious and the bed was really comfy. Great location, only a few mins walk to the DART station.

5.5
    awful would not stay there again.

We were put in a diabled room. The sliding door to the bathroom screeched everytime it was opened it closed. There was a plastic carrier bag stuffed at top of door to stop it coming off track. I ordered See Trout in Bar, I got Salmon. Tried to explain this to waiter, he had not much English, couldn't understand me.

Staff at reception were so helpful.

Clean, comfortable, close to transport

This hotel is a few stops out of the city, I don't mind that as the train station and Hop on, Hop off bus starts right outside of the front door, so it's not a bother. It is quite a quiet neighborhood which is nice and suited me.

This is a very nice hotel. It's easy to get to, via train, bus and cab. It's waking distance to a few little villages with amenities and then close to Landsdowne Road station (only 3 stops away from Tara St station which is closest to Temple Bar. There's a restaurant and residents bar which are both good. The hotel is clean and comfortable. Nice bathrooms and comfortable matress. Good Wi-Fi.

Stunning hotel!

If we didn't have a car this hotel would have been much too far from the city however that is probably why there is so much space in the hotel and the room was so big. I guess that is a pro and a con.

Stunning hotel! Staff were lovely and friendly. Room was really big and comfortable. Reception is huge with very comfy chars.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Fuss free comfortable hotel.

Plenty of parking but this was not obvious from the description.

Very friendly staff. Efficient check in and check out. Comfortable very quiet room. The hotel felt like someone cared about it, well maintained with good housekeeping.

I was a little concerned at how easy it was to get into the...

I was a little concerned at how easy it was to get into the hotel when we had been out and arrived back after 1am. The doors were unlocked including the disabled access which was away from reception

Very poor value for money
    • Executive King Room

On the first night we turned the radiator off as the room was too warm but when we came back the following evening someone had put it back on again and we could not sleep again! We were unable to open the windows as the room was on the road side and there was traffic noise. Double glazed windows are poor and traffic noise can be heard even when windows are shut. Hot water took a long time to come through and we had to leave water running for ages until hot came through. No make-up/shaving mirror in the bathroom- very poor for a room which cost over £300 a night. Pillows are too hard and I had to buy a set of pillows in order to be comfortable. Sound proofing is poor and you can hear people in corridor when you are in your room.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Beautiful hotel

It was clean and comfortable with friendly staff and a hearty breakfast. As I was travelling for business to a venue on Landsdowne road it could not have been in a better location. Short walk to Ballsbridge and Sandymount villages as well. Given hotel prices in Dublin it was quite reasonable for the quality

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Tastefully renovated.

The inner walls were so badly isolated we could hear our neighbour snoring!! The food in the bar wasn't very good.

Tastefully renovated. Good windows, there were works going on outside our window but could not hear it.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

A place of rest and holiday.

The timeless atmosphere here is just what I needed. The staff; Excellent in every way, helpful is an understatement. The Building ; I love the warren of corridors that leads to my room which is quiet poustinia The Food and Bar; everything as it should be. I extended my stay by three days..

Convenient location, plenty of free parking, hotel was clean.

Hotel looked better on web page Breakfast - scrambled egg looked like it had been there a while!

Convenient location, plenty of free parking, hotel was clean.

good hotel

awful odour in the hall leading to the bedroom , we stayed in room 322 , leak in the ceiling in the hall also , buffet breakfast was ok , fried /poached eggs available on 'request, ' bit pricey considering we stayed there before for half the price

friendly staff , free car parking , great location , bedrooms / bar / restaurant are great

If you are catching the ferry with a car, this is the place.

The bathroom was new but very small. If you are a big person, it might be a struggle. WiFi was a bit wobbly but the staff helped me solve that issue.

Easy access from ferry port and great parking. Lift from carpark to reception so no stairs. Easy level walk to the centre of Dublin is relaxing and if you don't want to walk that far, the train station is close by. Great breakfast and comfortable common areas. Beautiful hotel.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

The Dove

The shower was cold 2 out of 3 times in the morning. Internal building works inside being carried out a few metres from my room, a lot of noise, contractors working 7.00am to 7.00pm. Contractors working outside on the external work outside my window and too the side.

Comfortable bejou room and bathroom, clean and good breakfast...all staff very hospitable.

We'll be back !

Car park right outside our window - on same level !

Staff were so welcoming, even helped us find car parking space! Long winding corridors - almost got lost trying to find reception ! Shame breakfast not included in price - but location is excellent !

Not much to say, my son and family live around the corner, I only slept there.

The initial room was on the first floor toward the back . Felt like a dugeon for me. Double room, small with a cramped bathroom. The next morning I asked for a better rom and was pleasantly surprised upon my return. Much more spacious and brighter. Thank you.

Location to the main areas in Dublin was good, literally...

We went for a leisure trip for 2 nights, Room was smaller than I was expecting (probably my own fault for only booking a double) bathroom was small, could barely swing a cat in it. When first walked into the room there were spider webs hanging from the ceiling. There were renovations going on at the hotel which we were only informed about 2 days before we arrived, very inconsiderate with work commencing at 8am including drilling and hammering.

Location to the main areas in Dublin was good, literally right beside the Aviva stadium, and there is a dart station at the stadium to get you into the center of Dublin, also a short 15min walk away (along the canal) to the 3 arena. The breakfast was brilliant. And the renovations that have happened in the restaurant and the hotel bar look lovely

The location was great, a 15 minute walk to the 3 arena was...

The hotel was being renovated during our stay so it was very noisy on arrival and the morning after our stay.

The location was great, a 15 minute walk to the 3 arena was ideal.

Look forward to staying here again soon

Uneven floors and very narrow hall ways and doors

Location to the 3arena was perfect, quick 15 minute walk. Food is fantastic, it’s very clean. Staff are helpful and the surroundings are beautiful. The bathrooms are modern and the bedrooms are comfortable the tv even has Netflix

Park car and internet point

There aren't in the room: patio, kitchen, toaster, barbecue, conditionair, headphone heat. the shower isn't cleaned. Moquette is dirty. No good for a 4 stairs hotel

Park car and internet point

very enjoyable stay, comfortable beds and rooms lovely and spacious

I had asked if one room could be ready when we arrived 1pm if possible as I had a young child but didn't get to room until 2.30, but staff were very friendly and tried their best to accommodate

Breakfast was lovely but we paid extra for it

Great Location, slightly overpriced

Bedroom was tiny. Bed was very small and we could hear everything in the hallway as the door was very close to the bed. Luckily the hotel while being busy was quiet so this was not a huge issue. The bathroom was minute but sufficient. While everything in the room was reasonably new the bedroom had a cheap feel to it. The bed for example did not have a cover over the base, in the bathroom when you opened the drawers you can see the chip board that it was made from.

The Hotel is in a great location for access to the southside of Dublin. Food in the hotel is good. Parking was a great convenience.

Excellent upgraded room as we had our 18 month old son with us. He had loads of room to run around. Really kind thoughtful helpful staff. Excellent location for ferry.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Lovely hotel good location just a shame about our little accident

We had an issue with the shower in the bathroom. It was a lovely shower unit and everything was very clean, however the shower cublicle floor was extremely slippy and my husband slipped and the doors came off the unit - he now has a very badly sprained wrist. The staff came as soon as I called them and brought a slip map - I feel that the slip mats should be placed in all cubicles

the staff were very good and the location was excellent as we could park on site and then we walked to the dart to catch the train into Dublin

Great hotel in a great location with excellent staff

Nothing in particular to dislike, parking being available is a big bonus however there isn't very many spaces.

Excellent location, close enough to the town centre and very close to the DART station therefore making getting to the city centre extremely easy.

Close to the Aviva stadium and loads of transport options to...

My bathroom was not cleaned to a good standard . Basin had stains and plug needed some cleaning.

Close to the Aviva stadium and loads of transport options to get into the city centre. They had a great coach service available for guests .. which is great for drop offs within a 1 to 2 km radius . Free of charge and the driver was lovely . ( Mark or Martin) The breakfast was good , standard options of eggs bacon , mushrooms, sausages and assorted pastries.

Staff were very friendly and helpful.

The hotel provide bottled water in the room and are happy to provide fresh milk but it would be good to have a small fridge in the room that would keep these chilled.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is fantastic. The location was perfect for us. We arrived early and the reception team were happy to store our bags while we went sightseeing for the day.

Nice hotel with friendly staff

Rooms are small but have everything you need.

Staff were very nice and accommodating. Location is quite good for going to the RDS. Bar was nice but quiet. Although we did not eat in the bar it did smell and look very good.

Pleasant hotel in good location for business.

Unfortunately, room on the ground floor looking at the car park, so little privacy. Noise from hallway and room above in not what I expected for the amount paid. Limited menu in the restaurant, bar very good.

Good location, nicely designed boutique hotel. Staff are very accommodating. Very clean room and bathroom.

Breakfast was lovely, and the staff were very helpful.

The room smelled badly of stale smoke and I had two kids in the room. It was NOT good.

Breakfast was lovely, and the staff were very helpful. The location was fab, as we were going to the RDS for the horseshow.

Sandymount small break

A pop up toaster would be faster and broken window at front should be fixed the board wasn’t great to be honest and a pool would seal the deal

All of it

The room was lovely and clean as was the rest of the hotel,...

Staff in the restaurant didn't seem to know what they were doing, both starter & main were brought out together we were told sorry there was a mix up in the kitchen and then the main course was left on our table to go cold whilst we ate the starters, not good enough!

The room was lovely and clean as was the rest of the hotel, staff were lovely and very helpful

Royal Dublin show.

As above.

Location to RDS excellent, lovely staff, very comfortable bed, only one gripe.... my friend wanted a steak in the restaurant, none on the menu. Overall a lovely hotel.

Breakfast was fabulous, very clean and comfortable

The bar and restaurant menu. Choice was a bit fancy for me and my 16 year old daughter, so went out for dinner every night.

Breakfast was fabulous, very clean and comfortable

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Rude staff, not just one!

Rude staff, not just one!!! Ride ineffective manager who had no idea how to put things right, after being woken up 2 days in a row by the noisy staff and all the linen being stored right outside my room and no thought for me at all. Was reduced to tears after restaurant manager completely ignored me for drinks even after the waiter had said he would get me one I had to walk up to the bar and stood waiting Carrier on they ignored me.....to be honest so many people were moaning about the rudeness but I doubt many will bother to write a review. Well as a woman on her own being reduced to tears twice in my three night stay I think that speaks volumes! Glasses not cleared out of rooms for two days only was done because I asked. My allergies explained to hotel but they kept giving me the things I’m allergic too, obviously no communication for swap over staff. Am waiting to hear from the hotel as to what they intend to do as this goes down as the most awful stay where I felt I had no one to go to st the hotel to try and help resolve it. Very sad

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

The bathrooms were clean.

our room was located downstairs and the first thing we noticed once we opened our room door was the smell of damp & stale air. Room was far too small for the amount of furniture crammed in and the bathroom was uncomfortably small (impossible not to shower and the whose bathroom got soaked. there was scaffolding and plants blocking up the window and the whole feel of the room was very dark and unpleasant. The amount of dust under beds and furniture was unacceptable. We couldn't get parking until the next day which was also disappointing as we were there two nights.

The bathrooms were clean. The food was guild nice in the restaurant. Breakfast was also good with a decade selection on offer.

First time in IRELAND and not the last

A short walk down the road to catch the train three stops down the line (six mins) to centre Free newspapers and sweeties on reception desk friendly and smiley faces morning and late at night Jolly good breakfast

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

#Staff were very good.

#No air-conditioning in room made it very uncomfortable. Made worst to be fair on the recent hot spell. #Room was on the small side # 3pm check in.

#Staff were very good. # really nice grub in bar # While bathroom was small, it was very clean and shower was good. # good selection at breakfast

Lovely hotel in Sandymount great for Dublin Port ferries and will stay here again when in Dublin!

Nothing except no airco in room.

Perfect location for the Ferry from Dublin Port to Holyhead. Restaurant in hotel very good and very friendly staff. Lovely old hotel that has been renovated. Our room (401) was large and modern very comfy bed. We did not have breakfast as we had an early check-out.

Great hotel and location in what felt like a safe environment.

Car park was a bit tight for space, luckily was there early. Only downside to overall experience.

Great hotel and location in what felt like a safe environment. Was attending a match in the Aviva Stadium and it was about 200 yards away. The hotel held a BBQ outside for matchday. There was a great atmosphere.

Sandymount Hotel

The hotel is currently a building site so it is very noisy in the morning so no chance of having a sleep in.

Staff were so friendly and welcoming. The breakfast was delicious. The staff were very helpful and accommodating.

Very nice hotel to stay in

Price of hotel changed at check out. Had to pay more than what was charged when booked.

Very friendly staff. Lovely location, close to the dart and aviva stadium.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

My thoughts on my stay
    • Classic Double/Single Room

My daughter had a heavy suitcase and to get to the third floor we took a lift only we had stairs up and down and round a corner more stairs to lift the case up and down them, thought that was a bit ridiculous

Breakfast was lovely

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

Accessing the room by different lifts on different levels...

Accessing the room by different lifts on different levels with no clear directions in a maze, not good for an elderly mobility challenged person. Accessing the dining room not easy for elderly.

Initially disappointed but was actually quite good for our group vacation.

Ongoing construction work outside of the window from around 8am (July, 2018). It's certainly on the lower end for 4*s but it has enough good things going for it. No AC. The elevator is small and slow and the hotel is a small maze but once find the right stairs you can get to your room a lot faster... We booked a cab through reception looking to pay by card after which the driver almost snapped at the airport (we were forced to use a ATM).

Proactive and friendly staff (certainly to help compensate for the construction going on). Not directly in the city center (you can get there within 3 train stops, ~£5/d) but with pubs and groceries nearby. Enough space and benches within the hotel area outdoors to where you are also allowed to bring drinks from the bar (or your own stuff). Continental breakfast option available if you are outside of the regular time slots.

Quiet, friendly, close to the beach and good food. What more can you ask for after a day at work.

My home away from home. I was always made to feel welcome. The staff, especially Beatrice and Dave were my favourites. The food in the bar was top notch.

Property was clean and tidy, nice modern bathroom.

The rooms were quite small, quite a business type and formal feel. Our room was quite a walk through the hotel.

Property was clean and tidy, nice modern bathroom. Decor was nice particularly attention to gardens outside.

Would not return.

We spent two nights at the hotel and were allocated a room that could only be accessed via stairs, no offer to assist with the luggage was offered. Place is under renovation, we were out most of the time and were not affected by the noise of work, if any. However, the noise from the bar was loud and persisted till mid night during both nights. Breakfast was very ordinary and replenishing depleted food was in slow motion. Picked the hotel because of good reviews!

Location of the hotel.

Lovely comfortable hotel, friendly staff, good bar food
    • Classic Double/Single Room

Had "do not disturb" sign hanging on the door, however housekeeping knocked on our door at 10:45 and woke us - was not happy considering we had had a late night and could have had almost another hour of sleep!

Lovely hotel, very friendly staff, comfortable room.

Nice rooms no room service available on the eve of a concert at Aviva Stadium.

Rang for room service at 5:30 pm and got the phone run around. Eventually spoke to someone in the restaurant which was not the room service phone number listed in the menu in the room. This person said no room service available until after 7 pm. I said the room service menu says room service is available fro 12:30 until midnight. They said that because of the concert at the Aviva Stadium near by they were very busy and that was the reason. I said I am here for the concert which starts at 8 pm and I want to eat before going there. As the hotel was fully booked the restaurant was full also. No one told us about this when we checked in at 3 pm at which time we could have made other plans for dinner.

Very nice room and a very good breakfast buffet. Free on site parking was great. It is right beside the Aviva Stadium where we were going to a concert.

A delightful oasis in the city!

Our room was a little too small and the construction work going on outside our window down was very disturbing! Also the room was too warm. A ceiling fan would have been most welcome.

The public rooms are stunning!

The property is clean bright and is a short taxi ride from...

Just some building work

The property is clean bright and is a short taxi ride from temple bar,city centre and we enjoyed the breakfast variety and also that you could call into the bar.

Lovely hotel, room very comfortable, shower great, bar nice,...

Only fault was that I had requested an early check in cuz we were traveling from Cork, but not addressed at all, otherwise, beautiful stay

Lovely hotel, room very comfortable, shower great, bar nice, food nice, staff nice

Good hotel, professional Staff and a great breakfast
    • Classic Double/Single Room

I wasn’t expecting the slanted floor in our bedroom...

Staff were very friendly and professional. The breakfast was also excellent with a choice of healthy and traditional food.

Comfy and friendly stay we had at the sandymount hotel would stsy hete again.

A little bit far from city centre ,but with having the dart on the door step made communicating to the city easy.

Lovely decor in the rooms and through out hotel. Friendly helpful staff , great food..excellent hotel if attending aviva stadium just on the door step.

Breakfast was disappointing.

Clean, comfortable room, friendly staff and great location with parking and Dart station to city centre within 5mins walking distance.

Great staff, clean and cosy

It's a bit away from everything so you do need to rely on taxis or public transport to get anywhere. There is not a lot of options other than fry or cereals for breakfast which I know is standard but it would be nice if you could order and omelette or eggs Benedict or something along those lines and we are both coffee lovers we like nice strong coffee and I ended up not drinking mine but I am just giving ideas where the hotel could improve I am not complaining at all we had a great stay in sandymount.

Staff were so nice very welcoming, we were in Dublin for a concert when we came back we were quite hungry the guy on reception ordered in pizza for us and he was so helpful and nothing was too much trouble he even had it brought up to our room ..... can't fault the staff at all.

Unless your going to the Aviva stadium, wouldn't recommend.

Queues for breakfast, check-in, and check-out. I didn't see a room option for breakfast but due to the queues to get into the dining room for breakfast, this would be a good idea to implement.

Good Breakfast. BBQ was on that was good.

We stayed here on two separate occasions during July 2018.

Our first stay during July 2018 was in a room on the lower level; the shower floor in the bathroom was not as clean as it could have been. Our second stay was in a room on an upper floor, and the shower/bathtub in this room was very clean.

We stayed here on two separate occasions during July 2018. The women working at reception were very friendly and helpful, as were the restaurant staff, on both occasions. The hotel room we were given on our second stay was very warm and the window could only be opened slightly. We were offered a fan to cool the room without our having to ask, and that was very much appreciated.

This is one of the best.

Nothing really probably a minor thing of going up to the second floor to checking in, then to another lift to get down to our room.

Great location , east to get to Dublin city via the “ Dart “ ( train ) 3 stops Aprox 10 min, station only 3 min walk, and the open top bus will pick you up outside the hotel every morning at 9-30 am. Great staff and , great breakfasts.

Nice hotel, good location but not worth €269 for a tiny room and no breakfeast - poor value

Price was double what I would normally pay , very noisy, other guests banging doors a lot

room nice but very hot, expensive for a saturday night with no breakfeast, double normal rate

Really enjoyed my stay at this hotel.

Really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The staff were lovely and friendly and the room was very clean and modern. I particularly liked the food in the bar, thought it was exceptionally good food for a hotel bar.

A lovely hotel
    • Classic Double/Single Room

There were functions on in the garden and we were not able to take our little grandchild out....we were not informed of this when we booked....we stay here all the time because we can use the garden for the child ...very disappointed.

We always stay here the staff are lovely...central to Sandymount beach and lovely location.

Perfect locaton

The building works that started at 8 in the morning. Closing the window helped but it was very hot outside so it wasnt ideal

The property is in a great location, right beside the dart station so easy to get into the city. The hotel is beautiful and the food in the bar was amazing.

GReat

I liked it all

Pleasant room with very comfortable beds. No outside noise at all. BReakfast good and they will make real cofffes for you without charging extra.

Beautiful decor and excellent food in the bar.

The room for the price I paid was not value for money or what I expected from looking at the pictures online. It was extremely small, along with the bathroom and I was disappointed with it as I wasn't expecting it. For the price I paid I would also expect breakfast to be included which it was not. The bed however was extremely comfortable but that was the only plus for me with the room. Construction starting outside my window at 6.55 also did not help the situation but I understand that needs to happen.

Beautiful decor and excellent food in the bar. Great location and great bar area along with lounge areas.

Very comfortable stay with clean facilities and very pleasant staff
    • Classic Double/Single Room

Hadn't reserved a table in restaurant couldn't get booking to eat before attending concert I was going to Would recommend a little more variety at barbeque

Staff very friendly and helpful Calm relaxing atmosphere ....felt like the hotel was situated in the country Barbeque on front grounds excellent idea over all enjoyable stay

Very disappointing

The hotel was comprised of tatty looking rambling mazes of hallways leading to different sections of this makeshift hotel. The hotel room itself was small and outdated and slightly grungy. There was no one to show you to your room or help with the luggage. This is definitely not a 4 star hotel. I would not stay here ever again.

The staff were helpful at the front desk. The bathroom was adequate.

Nice but room for improvement.

Lack of air conditioning and a small TV were a let down for the room we stayed in. The inside of the hotel is also very confusing. Lots of winding stairs, none of them leading where you're looking to go.

Bed was very comfortable and check out was simple. Windows opened quite wide which was great, many hotels don't have this. The location of the hotel is perfect for those looking to be near amenities.

My stay was spoiled due to facilitating concert personnel and not residents .
    • Classic Double/Single Room

1. I was paying €15 a round for two drinks which were been served in plastic cups which was insult. This was in the main bar and when I asked for proper glasses , my request was refused 2. My room was 126 and there was a smell of sewage in this area. I appreciate there was work been carried out but this was most unpleasant.

Pleasant but too expensive for what was on offer.

Very expensive for one nights b&b. For the amount we paid we would have expected a freshly cooked breakfast served to our table. Our room though clean was very small. Also serving guests beer in plastic glasses is not good enough especially when we were paying so much.

Convenient for the Aviva Stadium & local attractions. Very friendly staff.

Very pleasant , would recommend this hotel to friends

Everything was perfect

Even though we were on a business trip we felt like we were on holiday because of the relaxed atmosphere and friendliness of the staff

Great venue for Aviva events

A ledge or shelf in the tiny bathroom would be very useful. There was no body lotion or shower cap. It was delivered to the room when I requested it. Some biscuits to go with the tea and coffee in the bedroom would be appreciated. There wad too much air con in reception area and bar.

Best location for attending event in the Aviva. Lovely quiet residential area within close proximity of Sandymount village and Ballsbridge. Staff were pleasant and efficient. Spanish waitress with very good English for our pre concert dinner was excellent. Bedroom was spotless and very comfortable.

Great location for the Aviva Stadium.

Long walk down corridors to get to the lift.

Great location for the Aviva Stadium. Buffet breakfast was varied and the food hot. Attentive staff serving the tables. Room was clean and spacious. Would definitely stay again