Reviews of Sheraton Athlone Hotel 4 stars

Gleeson Street, Athlone, Ireland

#5 of 21 hotels in Athlone

There was a hair in the bath and it was dirty like someone's footprint on the floor if it. So that wasn't nice.

The pillows were incredible! they were huge and started to mold around your head, we couldn't stop laughing at the experience.

The key stopped working in the Door. I had a long walk to the reception. She didn't say sorry about the inconvenience she just said , don't put your phone near the cards for the door key 😲 that was a bit rude.

• Club King Room

No bathrobes in the bedroom. Left the breakfast sheet on the door handle as advised to have breakfast brought to the room the next morning. No sign of the breakfast at 11am. I rang downstairs and they said they had not picked up the sheet from the door. The lady said I could still have breakfast. arrived 20 minutes later. No cutlery to eat the breakfast and I still had to pay €7.50 tray charge.

Lovely hotel, good size room, nice staff

Everything was perfect.

Lovely hotel, very fresh & clean, breakfast was very nice couldn't of asked 4 anything else, brilliant swimming facilities aswel, & the staff were very friendly & helpful, our 2nd time staying ther & we wil definitely b staying again.

• Classic Twin Room

Everything about this hotel was wonderful the whole staff were so helpful it was unbelievable I’m already planning another trip just for leisure

We were downgraded from the preliminary booked suite room (50 m2) to a lower-floor roof-view standard family room (38 m2). The family room cost us the same money.

Nothing everything was excellent

The rooms were very spacious and clean and the bed was very comfortable. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The best hotel in athlone

• Classic King Room

Restaurant was empty on one the days we were there, at like 7pm but they wouldn’t let us dine without a reservation. Even though no one was literally inside they just basically turned us away, and as guests spending a good bit of cash to stay there, you think they’d let you in. But we found other places.

Bed was a dream, the most comfortable bed I’ve ever slept on, and the in room facilities are so well thought out, the tv has internet and YouTube set up aswell as a jukebox. And when you choose a song it plays in the bathroom speakers! Great touch. And the pool area is so relaxing and clean. Would go back for sure for the hotel facilities alone. Everything you need is in the mall next door which is attached to the hotel and underground car park, plus free parking was great.

As above.

Really the only redeeming factor was the location. The cost of one nights stay was an outrageous 120 euro, I assumed this included breakfast. I went for breakfast in the morning to be greeted by a suited jobsworth who visibly sneered when I gave him my room number. I now understand his sneer he assumed I was trying to free load the breakfast.. He hadn't the manners to inform me that the 120 euro was room only. I had paid the 120 on booking in, on leaving I handed back the card key and informed the counter staff I had paid. She checked the computer and said there was a 12.50 charge for breakfast, I questioned this and went to my booking email, as I was doing this another staff member very loudly told me it was room only and made sure everybody within earshot heard her. She then said you used booking dot com then sneered as if I didn't deserve to be even in the same room as the other guests. I have stayed in hotels all over the world from Berlin to Singapore and have never had a worse experience than I had at the shearton hotel Athlone.

• Classic Twin Room

You can hear the music clear as day in your room from function room when the wedding was going on. Not ideal if you want a quiet break or a light sleeper. I enjoyed the music tho :)

Location was ideal, hotel bar had music which was great when we didn't feel like heading down the town.

Nothing to dislike.

Really pleased with the central location of the hotel, free parking a big bonus and the food was excellent. Good sized room as well!

• Classic King Room

Unfortunately my room had a very strong smell of cigarette smoke but my parents’ room didn’t so I was just unlucky

Super location and very friendly staff.

• Studio Suite

Stayed in a Suite on level 11 at the top of the "tower". Great view and so quiet - exactly what I wanted. The room was fantastic. Food was really good too, staff were friendly and available all the time. Overall, a really nice stay and will be back.

• Club King Room

We had to wait a few minutes longer than we ahould have had to for tea at breakfast....but otherwise couldnt fault the place.

Everything was so lovely and easy and staff were great

• Classic King Room

Very spacoius rooms. Great location. Ample free parking a bonus in a town location.Loved the bed linen and pillows. Take away coffee cups a great idea.Would stay here again.

• Classic Twin Room

I place a bottle lid on the right hand side of the bed, just to see if your cleaners do clean. low and behold it was and probably still there now . just check room 209 breakfast was just ok sausage had a taste off them only eat them the first morning . to many managers not enough staff , some managers were to afraid to dirty there hands. staff done there best . food wise we only ate one night in the hotel. nothing great on the menu that stood out in what we would like. simply dishes i.e half chicken , roast of the day ect.

beds are comfortable, some staff are nice and are willing to help you. it was near shopping centre well my partners dream loves shopping . nice big area for breakfast and in the bar. papers are there if your into reading them but never believe every thing that's on them .

• Classic King Room

We had spilled a drinks on the bed covers when we came back after house keeping it was not changed. But everywere was cleaned great!8

The beds were huge. The room was clean. Near the shopping centre.

• Classic Twin Room

At 9.40 a majority of the exercise machines were switched off. I was told you could use them as a resident 24 hours but it was clearly not being encouraged. The staff member asked me if I wanted to do a circuit and I said I just wanted to use the treadmill but I wasn’t able to turn it on because it was switched off at the plug socket. I decided not to use the gym at this point.

Iron+board, fridge, hairdryer, toiletries, room situation

• Classic Twin Room

The room.i was in was faceing apartment and i could see some washing out on line and i have to keep curtins closed for privacy any time in the room.it

The food was good and service was goodc

• Classic King Room

Reception and bar/restaurant staff were very welcoming and helpful. The bar food menu was very well priced and offered a good selection. We had a nice room with a big, comfortable bed.

Not great to be a Junior Suite, it looked like some furniture was missing, also a spot light was hanging from ceiling

bed was very comfortable, room was spacious

• Club King Room

Shower had nowhere to put soap and shampoo

Everything. Friendly staff, exceptionally clean, king size beds, great location (we walked to Athlone Castle) and the hotel is part of a shopping mall, and the Club rooms offer great extras.

• Classic Twin Room

Our only negative experience with the food was when we ordered soup in the dining area and it was served up luke warm

I liked the cordial way that we were treated by all the staff especially the people on reception. We asked for a different type of room to the one we booked and we were facilitated without any fuss.

• Club King Room

Temperature of the Whirlpool way too cold! If you offer such a option make it with consequence: at least +38 °C Windows in the room can't be opened, no fresh air possible

Location, staff, breakfast

• Classic Twin Room

Had to wait a long time for a drink in the bar, also didn’t like the glass (slim jim) my gin was served in.

The bed was extra comfy. I had booked a twin room as I had planned the trip with my sister, but she couldn’t go at the last minute, so my husband came with me instead. Our twin was changed to a beautiful double which was really nice.

• Classic Twin Room

Very slow service in the restaurant.

Really comfortable beds. Pillows were amazing, nice controllable temperature in the rooms. Lovely evening. Good in the restaurant was very good also.

• Classic Twin Room

I paid an extra 20€ per night to upgrade to deluxe room with a view in tower. The door lock went bad and wouldn’t work. The manager who came after making me wait for 10 mins in hallway acted like he was announcer at a boxing match. Asked me to identify myself. And opened the door with the key to say someone will come to repair the door in 20 mins. 1 hour later still not fixed. The manager was comical and lacked Customer service skills. Horrible I left the hotel 1 day early.

For a junior suite the room was very empty, no dedicated work table. Could not gain access to the car park at 10.45pm despite buzzing hotel reception. Bathroom sink did not drain correctly.

Great extra large bed with comfy pillows.

• Classic King Room

There was building work that started at 8am and went on until 9.30am in the morning. We had to put up with a drilling noise for nearly two hours. It affected the enjoyment of our stay. (The hotel did apologize.. and told us it was coming from the adjoining shopping center underneath.)

The room was spacious and the bed was probably the nicest I've ever slept in. Breakfast was excellent. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Club King Room

Where we were staying required use of a few sets of lifts to different building. Entrance from car park to hotel could be clearer as it is an underground carpark shared with the shopping center. We were unsure whether we were in correct car park.

Good location for walking into the town. All Staff lovely. Room was perfect. Very large bed with perfect pillows. Bathroom was great. Nice bar for having drinks. Very good breakfast. Swimming pool really nice. Will return at some stage.

• Classic Twin Room

The lady at the reception of the gym/swimming pool clearly didn't get the same training as the hotel staff, she was uninterested, bored and couldn't be bothered to show us where the swimming pool was! Considering the enthusiasm and kindness of the hotel staff in general, would still recommend this hotel 100%.

Hotel staff and facilities were first class. Never felt so welcome in a hotel before! From reception to bar staff, wait staff, breakfast staff, super friendly, helpful and made the stay perfect for me and my toddler!

• Classic Twin Room

I have been asked to many time if I was ok while having breakfast one morning. It looks awkward because all the waiters and waitresses were on me...

Amazing hotel. Room nice and clean. King bed huge and comfortable. Bathroom with separate shower from the bath. Staff nice and friendly. Breakfast was very nice. Also you can use free of charge a gym and pool. Definitely i will go back.

• Classic King Room

Could do with harder pillows but that’s just a minor problem.

From the moment we arrived to when we left all the staff were very friendly and helpful. The spa was a real treat for us and we got the relaxation we wanted.

• Classic Twin Room

No mushrooms at breakfast My room key didn’t work on 3 different occasions. It wasn’t kept with my phone. Coffee at breakfast was undrinkable

Overall it’s a fabulous hotel. A star for the staff. They were excellent. Great location also. Free parking at entrance to hotel. Room service was great.

• Classic Twin Room

The only downside of the hotel is there was no freshly cooked breakfast, which I would have loved, its never the same having a carvery.

Loved the hotel and the location excellent

• Classic King Room

The breakfast was terrible , we got room service to the room that was ment to be a full Irish but we got 2 bacon two sausages and scrambled egg , not nice at all

We had a smoking room as we were both smokers which is v handy for us

Not one thing

Lovely hotel, spotlessly clean and very central.. what makes this hotel is the staff , so friendly and very helpful, excellent at their jobs. We had lunch and dinner there and the food was fabulous, and the waitresses in both function rooms were so nice..I left my phone charger behind me and on ringing the hotel Marie on reception sorted it with Audrey from housekeeping to return my charger to my home address. Will definitely be making a return visit to the Sheraton again

• Classic King Room

I realise it was Easter weekend but it was soooo not value for money. I paid 288 euros for 2 nights (which the hotel took from my card when I booked approx 5 weeks ago) and breakfast was not included !. 12.50 pp for breakfast .. a ridiculous price I think when I had paid 288 euro already.

Beautiful Hotel, very central, staff were excellent, nothing was too much trouble.

• Classic Twin Room

Staff were slightly slow in the bar however, it was very busy. Staff were very friendly & helpful though 😊

Beautiful hotel with friendly staff. Room very spacious & clean. Good fun in the residents bar.

• Classic King Room

The staff at the hotel were amazing couldn't have done enough for us . The bed i wanted to take home with me a the pillows The room was very big and very clean The food i could not falt. 👍

Breakfast wasn’t included.

I was very pleased over all but for the price of the room I was very disappointed that breakfast was not included. Which was additional €12.50 which is an absolutely ridiculous price.

• Classic King Room

Had food in the reception bar area. Chicken curry for me and sausage and mash for my daughter. The rice with the curry was moulded and it was so sticky and over cooked that it kept the mould,curry was disgusting. My daughter was given 6 regular sausages that were over cooked and enough mash for two adults. The mash was nice but the sausages were over cooked and the portion size was just ridiculously big. Very disappointed, my daughter is two and she even commented on how yuck the food was. Room was of three star quality. Worn, cold, basic.

The staff were friendly and nice.

Bit pricey to stay but I can see why as the location is just brilliant... bar food a big on expensive side as well

Couldn't fault this hotel.... wouldn't stay in any other hotel only this one from now on...

The weather

Very clean with excellent views over Athlone and a king bed. Dinner on two nights excellent with very good service. It was good to have a walk- in shower and a bath with lots of good quality towels.

stayed for 2 nights in a tower duluxe double room on floor 7. Room was spacious, minimally decorated but extremely comfortable. Requested foam pillows, no problem. Spotlessly clean and air con unit within the room. Bar staff excellent cocktail knowledge!

• Classic King Room

There was a wedding the day and night we stayed unfortunately the music was very loud to 2am in the morning meaning we didn’t get to sleep to very late during the night.

Warm welcome and convenient free car parking, rooms clean and modern

Bar food wasn’t great. Service appeared very disorganised. Ordered our meal of soup followed by fish and chips, waited 30 mins for our soup and the fish when it came was tasteless over cooked and batter was anything but crispy. The waitress did apologise and offered us a free dessert or drink.

Bedroom was very spacious and the bed was massive and so comfortable. Leisure facilities were excellent. Great selection at breakfast and staff were so helpful and attentive

the pool was crowded, alot of children and very noisy. even though there was air con the rooms were stuffy.

everything was perfect! the room was so comfortable and the facilities were great.

• Classic King Room

The one thing that really impressed was the welcome we got on arrival the fact that the manager on the day greeted us personally was to me a very big deal the hotel is excellent in every way staff were very polite and courteous I am already planning my next stay.

• Classic Twin Room

Due to Storm Emma we had to reschedule our booking and when I called up and spoke with reservations, it was absolutely no problem. We arrived on MRvh 15th for one night. The staff were so nice and helpful. We dealt with Karolina while checking in and even though we were early, it was no problem! She gave us a discount card for the shopping center which wa as great incentive to look around the shops. The room was spotless as was the bathroom, and it was lovely to have a stand alone shower cubicle as opposed to having to climb in over a bathtub to take a shower. I loved that when you open the closet door, a light came on! Nice touch! We had breakfast the following morning and Ben was the restaurant manager, again he was lovely, so friendly and couldn’t do enough for us. Breakfast was a self serve buffet and was very varied and delicious. On check out we dealt with Karolina and a lovely tall lady with long dark hair ( apologies we didn’t get her name). She was very complementary of my friends curly hair :0) Overall this was a great experience and I’d have no Problem recommending anyone to stay here! Thanks again.

• Club King Room

Bar food was ok but we got a portion of chips and they were cold but the waitress replaced them with no hesitations.

The pool is lovely nice clean bathroom and very comfy bed

• Classic King Room

I would have liked to have stayed more than one night to make use of the fabulous spa and pool area.

The bathrooms are stunning, loads of room and shower is fantastic and powerful, I love that we had a separate bath as it’s not very common in hotels but makes a great difference. The beds and pillows were wonderfully comfortable. I had such a good sleep. Good spacious bedroom,with tea and coffee selection, fabulous selection of items on the breakfast menu. The pastries are so fresh and fruits definitely ripe and juicy. We only stayed the one night for my birthday as we were traveling to limerick for two nights and onto galway for st Patrick’s day. It was the most wonderful one night however. The atmosphere and class of the Sheraton is hard to beat. Warm, inviting, easy attainable and perfect central location to all the shops.

• Classic Twin Room

Cocktail wasn't great for the price of it. Didn't seem like fresh ingredients but that's only a minor thing

Lovely friendly staff in all departments and good quality breakfast. The room was super spacious with a small seating area which is great for when you don't want to watch the tv in bed.

pillows too soft

Great location. All staff were extremely pleasant and attentive. Dinner in the hotel was as good if not better than the #1 Tripadvisor recommendation in the town

No mini bar in the room fridge empty. Poor service at dinner and hotel bar, several different price for the same drinks.

Place was very clean, good location.

• Classic King Room

The uncooked beef burger that my mother (with impaired vision) had half eaten and before we noticed. In fact it is against the law to serve a burger in Ireland rare or medium cooked. This was not a good experience and the overall service is not of the standard of a good hotel it is more like a casual cafe service.

The staff the location the facilities and the comfort

• Classic Twin Room

The heating system stopped when you left the room and removed your card so when you re entered it was cold and as it was v cold outside we were glad you provided an extra blanket

Staff excellect in bar restaurant. Food of high quality in bar. Conference hall excellent

• Classic King Room

Love this hotel. Staff are lovely, rooms are spacious and have everything you need. Grateful value for money. Spa is amazing. Would highly recommend and the girls go above and beyond to make sure everything is just right

• Classic Twin Room

Didn't like the room..always request room on tower side..disappointed we didn't get it this time..looking out on roof tops..very far away from reception..

M

• Classic King Room

The room wasn't very warm the thermostat in the bedroom read 26 degrees but it didn't feel it. It was very cold outside that day so was expecting the room to be warmer when i came in.

The bed was the most comfortable bed i ever slept on in a hotel!

Mmm

The room was extremely clean. Staff were very pleasant and helped us with anything we needed to know. Food in the bar was amazing and the breakfast in the morning was perfect. Will definitely be staying at the sheraton again. Thanks for everything

The Staff. Each and every one of them we dealt with. From the guy who checked us in, the bar staff, breakfast staff and Aileen on checking out. Food was divine and service was excellent. I don't think I've ever experienced such professionalism throughout a stay.

• Classic King Room

Dinner in the bar was a bit basic... did not know or informed about the restaurant on site

The size of the room . The friendliness of the staff. The location of the hotel in the heart of Athlone. The convenience of the under ground car park and the free parking. The shopping mall with in the complex.

• Classic Twin Room

I was extremely happy witht the hotel, the only fault I could find was the pricing in the spa. The spa itself was extremely clean and relaxing just I felt that €50 for a 20minute back massage was quite expensive.

We loved the hotels central location. It was extremely clean and all of the staff were very friendly. The food was lovely. The pool was extremely clean and the water was a perfect temperature. I could not fault this hotel.

• Classic King Room

Food in this hotel leaves a lot to be desired. Breakfast is a buffet with eggs that aren't really cooked, the sausages are awful and even the beans dont taste like they should. We ordered lunch in the bar, it was stale brown bread with 'days old' chicken, lots of lettuce and red onion and no butter. It was the driest sandwich we've ever had....we had to send them back....awful.

It didn't look anything like the room I thought I was booking on line, it didn't feel or look like a superior king room and it was very disappointing. We booked the room for that reason based on the picture on line and it was a basic room I felt. While it was clean and nice I didnt feel it was in any way " superior ".350 euro for a room with breakfast for 2 nights was way over priced. It was a treat and I wouldn't have booked it at that price if I'd seen the room before hand.

The bed was comfortable

• Classic King Room

Heating system didn't do anything but blow cold air. The room was cold when we arrived, and we wondered why there was a plug in heater - we understood the need for it after an hour of the air con system set to 26 degrees left us even colder!

Quiet and comfortable room, and breakfast was enjoyable. The bed was comfortable, and linens & furnishings were of good quality. The pancake machine at breakfast was a fun novelty!

• Classic King Room

Bedside lamps are not very good for reading.

The staff were very friendly , the room was spacious and our evening meal and breakfast were delicious and very good value.

Very helpful staff. We had bikes and always someone available to help us store them in left luggage area. Bed and pillows very comfortable. Very good breakfast

• Classic King Room

Every staff were there to make our stay as comfortable as possible. Staff were lovely and friendly and always had time for a chat. Bar Manager wAs brilliant and has a lovely relaxed manner. Raj in the restaurant was brilliant with his conversation and the birthday wish in dessert form for my wife. The receptionists were brilliant too, along with the accommodations manager when we thought we had a family crisis but luckily it was easily sorted. Loved it!!

• Classic Twin Room

Entrance cold with no seating though I met my local friend in bar for coffee in afternoon. It was warmer.

Food overall excellent and good value.Staff all pleasant and helpful.

• Classic Twin Room

nothing really. Its a huge hotel - a sat nav would come in handy.!

stayed in tower rooms. bed was huge and comfortable Breakfast was lovely - choice was amazing. had dinner in restaurant and it was very enjoyable. Staff were excellent ambassadors for the hotel well done

Formal restaurant was almost empty on Thursday night so little or no atmosphere. Opted to dine in the bar instead

Comfort, cleanliness, location. Friendly and helpful staff.

• Classic King Room

The cleanliness wasn't great . We had to deal with a few waiters for food which was very confusing . The hotel was very confusing for the first time if you didn't know your way round. I give this hotel a 2 out of 5

Clean

• Classic Twin Room

As mentioned above the pillows were very uncomfortable & flattened easily and so were unsuitable for me as I have a sore neck and need good firm pillow support.

Leisure Centre was excellent. I liked that it was for residents only & had disabled shower & changing room. Breakfast excellent & staff very friendly. The only minor negative was in our room. The pillows were very uncomfortable & flattened easily unsuitable for me as I have a sore neck & need good pillow support. Wifi exclusive to each room was excellent signal at all times.

Browse Sheraton Athlone Hotel traveller photo gallery