Reviews of The Abbeyleix Manor Hotel This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services available. It's based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Cork Road, R32 VE24 Abbeyleix, Ireland

#3 of 3 hotels in Abbeyleix

• Reviewed: July 17, 2018

Would stay again!!

The staff were very helpful, we stayed here as it was close to where my husbands Mum (who was celebrating her 80th Birthday) was travelling by horse drawn caravan. She joined us at the hotel for a special meal & to stay overnight. Thank you to Greg on reception for changing her room to the ground floor. Special thanks also to John & the team in the dining room for looking after us for her birthday meal.

• Reviewed: July 13, 2018

Disappointing, a waste of money as I didn't get the sleep I desperately needed.

The 1st key I got did not work. The 2nd key opened the door, but someone was already sleeping in the bed. The 3rd key opened the door to my room, which was like a sauna. The window only opened 5cm so not much air flow available, this window opened onto a main road passing the hotel so it was noisy. While the Night porter apologised for the errors about keys there was no mention about this by reception when I checked out. I only had 6 hours from check in to check out and really needed to sleep, between extreme heat and noise it was a total waste of money, I could have slept in my car. When I asked about air temperature I was told fans are available on request.

The night porter was welcoming and friendly. The room was spacious and the bed was comfortable.

• Reviewed: July 12, 2018

Perfect.

We only stayed for one night but really enjoyed our stay. The room was big and very clean. Bed was comfortable. Wi-Fi was fast. Very clean. Would come back again!

• Reviewed: July 11, 2018

had an extremely warm room but once i rang reception they...

had an extremely warm room but once i rang reception they were very quick to deal with the situation and changed rooms for me...nothing was a problem.

• Reviewed: July 11, 2018

Good location, good bar menu, friendly staff.

No Air Con in bedrooms! I’m aware that we are in the middle of a heatwave but hotel rooms can be very warm even in winter. All hotels should have air con nowadays, especially when there was air con in the halls and bar area. Breakfast wasn’t included in the price which for the price it should have been. Not a great selection for breakfast

Good location, good bar menu, friendly staff.

• Reviewed: July 1, 2018

Good quality, no frills, great value.

A very comfortable room at the end of a long day, a supper of soup, a club sandwich, a bottle of nice and reasonably priced wine. Nothing special in itself, but everything added up to a pleasant stay.

• Reviewed: June 29, 2018

It was a perfect base to get to Dublin early the next day.

The barman said they don’t do cocktails....very disappointed.

The Thai chicken curry was gorgeous and my daughter enjoyed her fish and chips so it’s definitely worth eating there.

• Reviewed: June 28, 2018

I had a lovely stay because of the location and our family in the town. The staff were friendly.

The room was extremely warm and there was no air con. The food in the restaurant was disappointing and overpriced.

The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: June 26, 2018

Lovely place to stay and good value for money

There was nothing I did not like

A lovely hotel with large rooms and beautiful en-suite. nothing was too much trouble. Resturant was nice. and breakfast was good. Staff were very pleasant. Easy to locate with loads of parking.

• Reviewed: June 26, 2018

Loved it and will be back

Could do with a lick of paint on corridors

The family run hotel had a lovely welcome. You felt you knew staff all your life....best hotel I have been in Ireland, I mean friendly ..I know it's 3 star but made up for it with love food

• Reviewed: June 18, 2018

Definitely stay again.

A bit outdated and in need of a spruce up, but still a very good hotel with helpful friendly staff and a great breakfast.

Great beds very clean and a great breakfast. Reasonable rates and good facilities. Highly recommend.

• Reviewed: June 17, 2018

4.0
    Disappointing and over priced for a twin room

The kettle and lamps were broken in our twin room, you could easily hear everything going on in the room next door and the decor was dull and outdated

• Reviewed: June 16, 2018

Very good, friendly hotel for our overnight stay.

Stayed at the hotel with a group of friends travelling on the Wild Atlantic Way on our motorbikes. Friendly welcome, nothing too much trouble, good food, great portions in the evening and at breakfast. Decent room, clean and tidy with all the standard facilities. Beer was good too... would recommend and would return.

• Reviewed: June 5, 2018

Reception staff very welcoming!

Lots of noise coming from adjoining room, didn't sleep a wink!

Reception staff very welcoming! We were late in after a wedding and the bar person was very accommodating in providing us with water etc

• Reviewed: June 5, 2018

Great for us as a stop over

We arrived late at night tired and weary so we creeped in ready for bed so as not to disturb anyone but unfortunately we could hear the entire conversation of the guests next door. It was late and we were very tired and for that reason didn't enquire about moving rooms but I'm sure the guys would have accommodated us fine as they were lovely.

Great location and breakfast on the Saturday was lovely. We went for a walk in the woods after breakfast by the river which was brilliant - nice and peaceful and a good way to walk off the massive feeding that you get at breakfast.

• Reviewed: May 27, 2018

Covenient overnight

Reception often unattended (evening) Bed linen completely creased & bed looked poorly dressed

Breakfast good. Bed was comfy. Staff friendly. Big room

• Reviewed: May 24, 2018

Not a pleasant way to spend a Sunday night when you have to leave your family for work reasons .

I arrived after a 3-hour drive at 9 pm on Sunday to be told that I could not get anything to eat as the kitchen had just closed- I said to the receptionist its just 9 PM and she told me the kitchen closed at 9 pm. I nearly begged for some food but she just stared me down and said no. I ended up in a chipper in Abbelyleix eating soggy chips. The bath had hairs in it and the noise level in room 109 was ghastly from about 4 am onwards as the road is very close. The lounge area was a disgrace as I tried to find somewhere clean to sit but any area that was free was full of debris and cups, saucers, food etc that had not been cleared away.

not a lot

• Reviewed: May 19, 2018

WiFi hardly worked in our room and the sheets kept coming...

WiFi hardly worked in our room and the sheets kept coming off the bed durning the night which meant an uncomfortable sleep. No one there to check us out.

• Reviewed: May 17, 2018

Power off from 8.

Power off from 8.00 am was told it was affecting the whole area but the village less than 2 minutes walk all had electricity very embarrassing as couldn't see in bathroom no water and couldn't flush the toilet. Coffee which we paid for was revolting 3 people in my group of 4 thought this the other one had tea.

• Reviewed: May 15, 2018

We had a lovely stay in the hotel, we had a bite to eat late...

We had a lovely stay in the hotel, we had a bite to eat late in the evening and it was fantastic service and the food was fresh, hot and just fab. We will be back.

• Reviewed: May 10, 2018

Will stay again on our next trip to Ireland

The bedrooms are at one end of the hotel and bars and restaurant at the other so a very quiet room.The wife and I do not eat cooked breakfast but if you do the choice is excellent

• Reviewed: May 9, 2018

It suited my needs as two rooms

I would have preferred more tv channels or movie options (I brought portable dvd for children as usually not many options in hotels for children's tv) *not a complaint*

Great customer service. Very helpful staff. A credit to the hotel.

• Reviewed: May 2, 2018

Relaxed and Enjoyable and lovely Sunday roast.

The lounge got very cold as the fire was not topped up. Not pleasant when you are sitting around. Evenings can be very chilly and it is just the end of April. Disappointing.

Rooms were very spacious. Beds comfortable and quiet. Nice and clean.

• Reviewed: May 1, 2018

Excellent value hotel

Excellent room,clean warm and spacious.Bathroom warm and plenty of hot water. Breakfast was top class with local produce and good choice. We eat in the restaurant and had a very tasty meal which would satisfy the hearty eaters!! Best value hotel we have stayed in Ireland. Just booked again.

• Reviewed: April 14, 2018

Excellant all around.

Cosy comfortable setting to spend a few days ...... not too big and impersonal. Beautiful foyer with real fire! Friendly staff. Convenient to Mountrath where I was working for few days.

• Reviewed: April 8, 2018

Good overall.

The fee for the night i stayed was a bit high and option of beans and sauces should be offered at the breakfast, as breakfast quite dry.

Even though there was a wedding on the night I stayed, it did not disturb me at night.

• Reviewed: April 7, 2018

I was only staying overnight and would consider staying here again. Good value.

The decor was a little dated. Nonetheless, it was very comfortable for my needs. The bacon and caesar salad was not that. I didn't address it at the time because it was quite excellent if it had just been described as a chicken and bacon salad with lettuce, tomato, onion and dressing. Very fresh and good quality ingredients.

The Receptionist was very efficient at resolving a booking issue even though the hotel was busy with a wedding. I ended up getting very quiet large bedroom as a result. Many thanks.

• Reviewed: April 4, 2018

Great but not so great

There was "Silver fish" (small slugs) coming up the drains and flying around the bathroom.... couldn't give my child their bath and partner had to use the restaurant/bar bathroom down the hall as she has a fear of "creepy crawlies"

Staff were friendly and food was nice

• Reviewed: March 28, 2018

Enjoyable and hassle free.

Television hand control nneded batteries. Quite annoying changing channels. Room service should check this as a small thing can be irritating. Otherwise no problems.

Location. Staff helped me to get connected with my emails etc.

• Reviewed: March 26, 2018

A pleasant stay

Bathroom floor needed updating. Small table needed attention. Second comfortable chair needed.

Great space inside room. Bed excellent. Very quiet. Good WiFi. Not over heated. Good size TV.

• Reviewed: March 26, 2018

Nice friendly staff; nice comfy bed...

Great value for money. Great hospitality; staff were very helpful and always greeted you with a big smile. We decided to try the food out and that was also really nice. Very clean rooms and comfortable beds. Great experience of Ireland; we would definitely recommend!

• Reviewed: March 22, 2018

Lovely staff, pity about the food.

The food was only ok. Vegetarian option was very limited and kids pizza and chicken was too spicy.

The staff were lovely and very patient with the children.

• Reviewed: March 17, 2018

Cosy atmosphere and according to my son it smelt posh.

Bath side in our room could do with replacing. Could have done with a ceiling light rather than lamps around the room. Everything else was perfect

Cosy atmosphere and according to my son it smelt posh. Very comfortable area between bar and reception where we could enjoy a family drink.

• Reviewed: March 10, 2018

Holidays in Ireland
    • Family Room

Location,food , old fashion service, would definitely stay again .

Great location, fabulous food , Manager Shiela went above and beyond our expectations,great service, highly recommended.

• Reviewed: February 20, 2018

Everything was really good.

I don't like carpets on the floor or heating in the room; the heating was turned off immediately after I asked.

Everything was really good. Staff are great.

• Reviewed: February 20, 2018

Nice hotel apart from the noise in the mornings.

It was very noisy, you could hear others in the rooms around you. It was hard to sleep in the morning time.

Staff were very friendly and the food in the bar was nice.

• Reviewed: February 19, 2018

Relaxing

Nothing - I would stay again.

Very relaxing, spacious foyer /lobby area with cosy stove.Great for long chats and coffee, Local walks great for children. Breakfast was great. the children loved the Coco Pops. Scones delicious/homemade

• Reviewed: January 25, 2018

Staff were very helpful.

Staff were very helpful. Works were being carried out, but it didn't overly interfere with our visit due to the efficiency and friendliness of the staff.

• Reviewed: January 22, 2018

Nice short break which was good value for money

Cleanliness could be improved around the hotel in particular the toilets at reception and function room were carvery was served due to the bar being closed

Value for money

• Reviewed: December 25, 2017

Comfortable and staff very nice and friendly

The bed was extremely comfortable and I slept amazing the room was clean and spacious and close to the town and shops! Also the staff both checking in and checking out were so nice and friendly !

• Reviewed: December 18, 2017

Comfortable rooms, great location on the motorway - service friendly but a bit casual

The breakfast was not great - at this price it would be nice to have a breakfast included. In particular the pudding of the Irish breakfast was not so great. but the coffee was large and the sausages were good. On paying I paid in cash and did not get a receipt which felt a bit 'casual'. Also the booking was in the wrong name which was a bit strange. (there were 2 of us, and the name used was a mixture of both our names). Not a big deal but afterwards I had to double check that we'd not been accidentally charged twice.

Large comfortable room, with big beds and a decent ensuite bathroom

• Reviewed: December 17, 2017

nice but a bit dated

The mattress was very poor and noisy with the smallest of moves . I got up once to go and 5 seconds I heard the spring ping. very little sleep. Room 116

Big breakfast maybe to big

• Reviewed: December 11, 2017

Wouldn’t recommend.

The noise at night, from neighbouring rooms and the road right outside. The lack of wifi signal in the room. The food in the bar was overpriced and not fresh.

The room size was good.

• Reviewed: December 6, 2017

Great value and so convenient

Wasn't sure if the bigger breakfast options costed extras or part of the room cost.

Bed was lovely and comfy, very helpful reception and great communication.

• Reviewed: December 6, 2017

Will be back , handy pleasant hotel

Some of the furniture / decor is a little worn in the rooms the table top in the room I had was very tarnished and clearly had lots of hot drinks on over time with no coasters nothing a sand down and revarnish wouldn’t sort, car parking can be a little difficult in the evening time , I personally wasn’t to keen on the evening menu selection

Lovely quiet hotel, communal rooms lovely done with a fab warm log burning stove for guests to enjoy, breakfast was great Staff are really nice, hotel is easy to locate lots of parking , brilliant WiFi!

• Reviewed: November 29, 2017

good overall

breakfast was overcooked unfortunately even though i had it in the first half hour of the service. curtains old and ripped on the inside. window seals dirty.

very friendly staff and lovely inside overall

• Reviewed: November 27, 2017

Very busy with functions, service can be slow

Lots going on, reception not always manned, so waiting to check in and out, rooms can be a long way from reception & restaurant

Clean and tidy good sized room

• Reviewed: November 21, 2017

Stay average.

The fact that smokers smoke out the back entrance as you enter the foyer to go to rooms. This meant the smoke was going up into the rooms. Room not very presentable carpets dull and while place need a good painting.

The staff service was very good both at reception and in the Restautant.

• Reviewed: November 10, 2017

Was great

Hotel needs some refurbishment - new showers and dispose of the carpets please!!!!

Everything was fine. Especially staff at reception and in bar very friendly and helpfull. All my requests were honoured and they made no problem about extending our stay by one night for the same rate.

• Reviewed: November 6, 2017

Rooms were nice and warm.

Walls are thin so both mornings the next room had crying children from 6am which woke us.

Rooms were nice and warm. Handy location nice chilled out lobby was great for catching up with friends before a wedding the following day.

• Reviewed: November 6, 2017

Lovely stay

Breakfast wasnt great my rasher was raw in the centre and the sausages were fatty. But all in all it was very clean and comfortable. We also had an evening meal and it was beautiful

Hotel was lovely

• Reviewed: November 2, 2017

Wonderful place to stay. Will choose again if I'm in the vicinity without hesitation.

The staff absolutely made this place. They were amazing. So friendly, helpful, welcoming. They made you feel like the only guests in the hotel. Really lovely team.

• Reviewed: October 24, 2017

Place was lovely, very friendly staff, room was immaculate...

Everything was great can't say I've any dislikes to this hotel, will definitely book again.

Place was lovely, very friendly staff, room was immaculate and very cozy bed.

• Reviewed: October 23, 2017

Not bad for the money

Very noisy on one of the nights as we were very mear to the carpark and function room. There was a wedding reception on so very busy with guests coming and going.

The lounge and bar area was nice and cosy with the log burner

• Reviewed: October 23, 2017

the staff was really nice

the room was dirty the curtain polls,the tops of the mirrors, pictures, and head bored had not been dusted, and on checkout reception wasn very friendly didn't even ask how our stay was

the staff was really nice

• Reviewed: October 15, 2017

Great staff, poor hotel.

Walls were paper thin so you could hear people talking, using the washroom, closing doors. Food was just ok and very little atmosphere in tbe restaurant/bar with soap operas on the tvs.

Short walk to town centre. Lots of free parking. Large room. Staff very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: October 15, 2017

Lovely location very central .

Lacked atmosphere particularly bar /dining area where staff not interested n their customer's

Lovely location very central ..bedrooms spacious & comfortable reception staff v helpful & pleasant

• Reviewed: October 8, 2017

Good stay a bit dated but would return.

Dated decor in the rooms/ corridors.. some easily fixed problems with decor like places the plaster was chipped in walks/ceiling in room , looked worn ... taps have a lot of limescale in the bathrooms (there is a sign apologising for this but it still bugged me)

Staff were very nice , hotel was very quiet, food was good will eat there again. Full length mirror in the bedroom! Room was large had hair dryer kettle etc .. wifi was excellent! Lovely room to sit in down stairs with nice comfy decor and large log burning stove lit was very cosy!

• Reviewed: September 29, 2017

Nice and reasonable.

The breakfast was not great the full Irish, rashers were not cooked properly. Sausages were cold my partner asked for scrambled egg it was dreadful not good enough for a lovely hotel , it was the last thing we did before leaving the hotel so it would be a lasting taught .

The bed was so comfortable and the room was lovely and relaxing, the staff very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: September 29, 2017

It was OK

I was waiting at Reception to settle bill upon departure and a lady who seemed to be the owner was behind the desk and ignored me, and when I asked for service said that xxxx would be along shortly and then walked away. Not good

Comfortable, clean, available. Nothing exceptional

• Reviewed: September 27, 2017

A very pleasant stay with pleasant staff , good food at a very affordable price .

The breakfast options could have been a bit more imaginative , even for limited numbers .However they did offer porridge and freshly made scones .

Check in was done in a tick. The bedroom was clean and tidy and had undergone renovations recently , freshly painted and new furniture. The rate was very reasonable . The staff were efficient and helpful. Dinner & breakfast was in the bar . Dinner menue limited but very understandable with the numbers likely to be staying on a Monday night . Steaks were excellent with all the trimmings . Blazing stove going in the lobby the following morning , very welcoming .

• Reviewed: September 20, 2017

Good overnight stop off.

Arrived at 4pm, room hadn't been cleaned. Given another room on the front. There was noise from the road all through the night.

Staff were very friendly. Relaxed atmosphere.

• Reviewed: September 17, 2017

very nice hotel and a nice little town with a variety of places to eat etc.

As the hotel offers check-out at 12 noon it means if you are staying more than one night your room isn't serviced until around 2-4 pm in the afternoon which can be inconvenient when you have been out since early morning and have returned wanting to relax, shower, etc.

The hotel generally was well decorated and presented in the public rooms.

• Reviewed: September 16, 2017

It was good ... nice decor and we will stay again

A little more effort could have been made to keep the lobby tables clean when people had keft... never came across a bed as badly made in the room in any hotel.

Nice friendly staf

• Reviewed: September 4, 2017

A warm welcome and really helpful staff.

We were a little cold, but had been at a music festival in the rain. Extra blankets were brought when we asked. The furnishings were a little tired, but fine.

Extremely pleasant and helpful staff. Someone brought up drinking water and an extra blanket in the middle of the night when we asked. Hotel attractive with excellent parking. Room large and quiet (at the back of the hotel). Excellent value. We chose this hotel to be near Electric Picnic and we were very happy with our choice.

• Reviewed: September 3, 2017

the receptionist was okay she didnt tell us much information...

the receptionist was okay she didnt tell us much information when we were checking in like what time check out was or what time breakfast was or dinnner times etc the beds were okay not the best the hotel was very clean beds looked like they werent made properly it was only for a nights stay but expected more

• Reviewed: August 23, 2017

Large comfortable rooms. Ideal for overnight stop.

Heavily stained bedroom carpet. It would benefit from being updated. Traffic noise from Road side bedrooms. Kitchen ran out of mushrooms by mid breakfast and would not replenish.

Large bedrooms. Rooms well furnished. Comfortable lounge. Good evening meal.

• Reviewed: August 22, 2017

Abbeyleix Manor House was a perfect stopover for us on our way down to the south coast.

Staff were very helpful and friendly. Rooms were large and bed was comfortable. Breakfast was very nice with a good choice of cereals etc as well as a cooked breakfast. Abbeyleix Manor House

• Reviewed: August 14, 2017

Lovely hotel with great staff.

I would have preferred the restaurant not in the bar. Also the package we had booked included evening meal, which was lovely however it was not clear that it was either starter, main course & coffee or main course, dessert & coffee until we were told that dessert would be extra. no real gluten free option for breakfast.

Staff were friendly and very helpful. Also there was a wedding at the hotel and it did not impact on our stay at all, very well managed by the hotel.

• Reviewed: August 9, 2017

super place to stay clean friendly and homely

evening meal was cold chips and veg where undercooked but place looked very understaff due to a wedding taking place an older man working was cleaning tables taking orders serving drinks and serving food by himself at one stage

clean comfortable i travelled with family who requires use of cpap machine at night and accommodated our needs and requirements staff where friendly especially holly who was working at breakfast was very helpful and pleasant

• Reviewed: August 7, 2017

Nice stay in a lovely town

The sound insulation between the rooms could be better.

Situatated by the local road with big parking. Easy to walk to the town, where you have 2 nice tradiotional pubs, some local restaruants and also a heritage house, where you can see the history of the town. We had a big twin room, breakfast was good.

• Reviewed: August 3, 2017

Excellent comfortable and lovely

One of the beds in our room was slightly uncomfortable my daughter found it hard to sleep

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and the hotel was lovely and quiet

• Reviewed: August 2, 2017

Hotel with potential, but greater attention to customer service required.
    • Family Room

We had booked a family room and were allocated a room with an interconnecting door - there were other residents in the adjoining room. However there was little or no sound proofing nor light proofing so when the residents next door returned to their room at night, it was terribly noisy. Especially when they started watching America's Got Talent at 1am. On complaining to the night porter he did not want to ask them to be quiet so instead moved all four of us at 2am! the hotel could have handled that a lot better - I would not go back to this hotel because of it. The receptionist the next morning when we were checking out said they had no option but to put us in the interconnecting room as there was nothing else free - yet the night porter had shown us that there were a number of free rooms the previous night.

The lobby and lounge areas are nicely decorated and comfortable.

Abbeyleix a must stopover

The receptionist was so accommodating.The meal in the restaurant was fab- so much healthy veg.It was a lovely walk to the village.The people I met were friendly.The village looked gorgeous with all the flower arrangements.A really nice time.I loved all the fresh flowers in the conservatory and all around the hotel.

Great value for money.

Room was very hot when we arrived. Nice big window to open, which helped a little, but room was so hot we had to leave window open all night.

Staff very friendly. Room and bathroom clean. Had dinner in the restaurant. Staff were very good. Food was delicious. Portions were HUGE! Great value for money.