Reviews of The Heights Hotel Killarney 4 stars

Cork Road, Killarney, Ireland

#30 of 41 hotels in Killarney

I loved my experience as soon as we walked in the door was greeted with a friendly smile and breakfast was brilliant too so comfortable and warm in the rooms would definitely be back again

• Double or Twin Room

Unfortunately, no info about the room service menu in our room, but that's a very minor thing for most people. There was a wedding on and I think our neighbours attended it as they were very noisy all night, and due to it being a rare warm night, we had to keep the window wide open for a breeze. Ideally, prefer to be away from the wedding party!

The reception staff were fantastic and the restaurant staff were friendly. We only ate breakfast, which was your standard Irish faire, but the evening menu looked like it had a great selection catering to vegetarians (which can still be rare in hotels). Loved the micro-balcony in our room as it allowed for a proper breeze on a warm evening! The bed was exceptionally comfortable. It's away from town centre, but that means the area is quieter, yet it's off the main road from Cork, so easily accessible. Would definitely recommend.

Very noisy room (#210), located between the seven airco split-units of the hotel kitchen on one hand, and a mechanical facilities room on the other, causing continuous noise at an unacceptable level all night. The split units were turned off between 10PM and 6AM, but the other noise went on and on. So we asked for a better room, but staff at the reception desk said that there were no other rooms available. I can hardly imagine that we were the first guests complaining about this room. It is a shame that the hotel offers these rooms. A hotel should be about a good sleep in the first place. Well, not here. This hotel was the most expensive during our stay in Ireland and offered, by far, the lowest service. Sorry folks, but you should have done a better job.

The staff cleaned tables beside us with a detergent which was off putting when we were eating our breakfast

Breakfast was excellent Staff were very helpful.

The rooms were absolutely beautiful. The bed was beautifully made up with lovely cushions and a nice throw. Bathroom looked like it was newly renovated with lovely tiles and a power shower. Loads of lovely fully towels and fancy shampoo and conditioner which is always lovely.

• Double or Twin Room

Nothing. Have stayed in approximately 25 different Killarney hotels over the years. First visit here, but won't be the last.

Nice quiet hotel. Location is also very good if you want to be near, but not in the centre of Killarney's hustle and bustle during the peak summer season. Rooms were very comfortable, excellent breakfast, very tasty carvery food. Very helpful staff too.

• Double or Twin Room

Our room was on the first floor there were double doors that lead to a public walkway unfortunately for us the girls In the next room brought a crowd of people back with them at 2.30am in through double doors for some reason kept hitting our window as they were passing which we found intimating so that was the end of any sleep . We paid €116 for one night room only should have stayed at home 🙄. On a positive note food was lovely , staff were very friendly, room was very modern and clean .

Breakfast was lovely

The lobby and the bar are very basic. Very bad experience. Very noisy at night with smokes inside the room. Drunk people were singing very loud in the corridor and banged on the wall as well as my room door around 5 am!!!! I could not sleep well for my 2 nights stay in. I will never stay again in this horrible hotel

Staff were in-depth cleaning the other half of the room we were eating breakfast in. It seemed unnecessary to do it at that exact time. (chemical smells and intermittent vacuuming)

Excellent food and choice at breakfast. Large bedroom. Good food from the on-site restaurant.

• Double or Twin Room

I think we waited for too long for our dinner in the bar, but anyway food was great. My nephew got very dirty hands while eating chicken wings and one of the waitresses offered to bring him water to clean them :)

Big and spacious room and bathroom

I had to be away early in the mornings and the breakfast didn’t start until 8 so that was really disappointing. Setting that aside I would definitely return

The staff were very helpful and accommodating

Bed very comfortable. Staff went out of their way in being helpful and extremely friendly. Did not have breakfast or eat in restaurant so can’t comment on that. Only minus was the Brasserie menu was very limited and needed more freshly cooked food not frozen. It was very basic pub grub. They could be a bit more adventurous with more fresh fish.

The bed was like a concrete block and you couldn’t swing a cat in the room, in terms of space.

Breakfast was excellent. Lots of variety and a great selection of gluten free options in particular.

Everything... neat, clean, tidy and modern up to date hotel with Irish charm. Staff was super friendly and hospitality was amazing. W travelled with 1.5 year old toddler and everyone at the reception, at the restaurant, bar was super friendly and took extremely good care of us and paid special attention to our son....one word for families with kids....AWESOME

• Double or Twin Room

The door to the room is a bit hard to open, met newly arrived guests who actually couldn't open their door. The trick was to pull the door first and then turn the key, because the doors are actually heavy.

We've booked a room with a double bed, requested a cot. Got a double bed, the cot and an extra single bed, with no extra charge and the view was great from the room! The breakfast was very nice and tasty. Have been eating in the bar 3 times, no disappointment at all! (If you like steak, the 10oz Sirloin is what to go for!).

I thought the staff were excellent in particular Olga in reception warm friendly and felt like she wanted to ensure every single thing was easy for me, check in took less than a minute and ensured I coukd just drop the key in the morning and leave which was important for me

Room was on ground floor at the back of the hotel, with a view of a wall. No problem, I had booked a room for a great price and arrived late so no biggie. However, it was either next door or near to what seemed to be a laundry room. Could hear washer and dryer late at night and early in the morning. Also had metal trollies rumbling past right outside the window, deliveries maybe? Despite being in a room which was wall facing and not over looked, felt like I had to keep the curtains closed at all times as staff were passing on the pathway with trollies etc. Would have been an issue if I had been staying more than one night. Otherwise the hotel is a really great choice and I would definitely stay again in a different room...

Fantastic food in the bar, really cosy area. Excellent value for a Sunday evening stay. Breakfast really good, super choice of everything and staff on duty were very attentive and helpful.

• Double or Twin Room

Breafast was over cooked eg: bacon & mushrooms were hard. apart from the hot food the rest of d breakfast was lovely.

Lovely staff, nice welcome when we arrived. The bar food was lovely

The key for the room door was inconvenient! Shower went from hot to cold all by itself! Noisy, could here everything in the corridor

Was s very nice looking hotel and the bar was excellent. Very clean and friendly staff

Extremely noisy at night when trying to fall asleep. We did not sleep well on either night due to this problem. We ate in the hotel once but the service we received in the restaurant was below average despite it being very empty.

Lovely front desk staff. Clean comfortable room. Comfortable bed.

The bed was a bit too hard for my liking. The bathwater was an unusual colour, probably water hardness, it was a tad off putting. The room was very hot, we were constantly adjusting the radiator. The sheliving unit was very tatty and word at the corners and edges.

Bar and bar food were excellent. Staff friendly and professional. Location was the reason we chose this hotel and it was ideal for our purposes.

The woman on reception was extremely rude. Place was really dirty. Heating was not on in the room even though it was freezing. No lock on bathroom door. Limited access to hotel facilities due to a wedding taking over everything. Noisy.

Very little

The staff in the bar/lounge were terrible. I ordered 2 cocktails. It took the barman 20 minutes to start preparing one of the two drinks, and when it did arrive it was not made correctly. He then proceed to say; "I'm going to start on the second one now". The one which did arrive was meant to be a "Tom Collins". It was a Gin Glass full of Tonic water with Ice and Raspberries. I'm not even 100% sure he put alcohol in the drink. I cancelled the second cocktail. Even if it was made correctly, over €10 is fairly pricey.

Fantastic Location and nice surroundings

The tv didn’t have many channels Food was v expensive a toaster was 8 euros!! A tiny lime and soda was 2.50

The room was lovely and clean and beds comfortable

• Double or Twin Room

The bed was particular small, our feet were hanging over the edge. The price of including breakfast into our trip was very over-priced.

The view from the hotel room was very nice and the bathroom was very modern

Van alarm going off from 11 30 on our first night kept going intermittently until 2 40 am complained to staff but unfortunately they couldn't resolve the situation until this time the rest of our stay was fine

We were prepared to accept anywhere for the night as this was a last minute booking but we were really very happy with our stay. Well located for our drive of the Ring of Kerry. Huge bedroom, separate bath and shower, warm, quiet and an excellent wi-fi signal in our room. Biggest surprise was the fantastic dinner in the hotel Bistro, thought it might be classic pub grub but it was superb.

The single large negative issue was with room cleanliness...in the second evening we found a large broken piece of glass under the table and dust/dropped contact lens (from the previous day) on the bathroom floor, indicating that floor sweeping/vacuuming was not done thoroughly...if done at all. We informed the manager we said he would investigate.

All the staff we met in this hotel - on the reception desk and in the bar/restaurant - were very friendly and helpful. Too many hotels have trained friendliness, but in this hotel this service was clearly genuine and warm. The hotel design is nice, combining smartness with cosiness. The food was very good. Breakfast was excellent too. Ample free parking was provided.

• Double or Twin Room

the place was old , the matress lumpy , the bathroom not 100 percent clean , loose tiles . no water in rooms provided . expected a little more superior .

the location was nice and the building in a quiet area outside town .staff friendly .

I particularly didn't like the fact the hotel was rated as four star on the booking.com website but then turns out to be 3 star. I would not have booked a 3 star hotel

• Double or Twin Room

Small bed (4'6" - too small for a couple). The radiator could've been turned on before our arrival, the room was cold when we arrived (early January evening) and we had to turn on the radiator and wait for the room to heat up. A strange smell in the hallway, tired carpet & bedroom furniture in comparison to the newer bed linen & headboards.

The updated bathroom, the conservatory area & lounge/bar downstairs, the bed linen.

• Double or Twin Room

Lobby needs upgrade... Very disappointed dark and uninviting The breakfast was 8 to 10. Got down there at 10.10am to be told breakfast was over. I was pissed. Eventually we got it after I rolled my eyes.... And argued that it was only 10 min gone 10 am. Won't be going back there

The room was v nice. It was clean and comfortable with space. Bathroom was lovely

We didn't like leaving 😞

From the very beginning this hotel exceeded our expectations. Being past hotel employees my friend and I tend to be a little critical when we stay in hotels however, this hotel was a big hit and we can't wait to return. The bedroom was fabulous.. The whole hotel was spotless including the high ceilings in the bar and the decor was astonishing.. what made this hotel one that we won't forget was the staff.. each and every one of them went above and beyond for us and we felt like VIPS for the entire stay.. when we arrived we were locked out of our room but Jane in the reception handled the issue very professionally and had it sorted in a matter of minutes.. she made us feel at ease by directing us to the bar until the issue was resolved., in the bar we were entertained by mark, Caroline and another man with an unusual name (sorry) who were all happy to chat to us.. breakfast in the morning was fabulous and the service was very good.. the food tasted amazing and there was a lot to offer.. we were late to check out but Jane and olga reassured us that there was no urgent hurry to leave which was the icing on the cake and made us feel very well at home.. everything about this hotel was amazing and I hope that management and all the staff members get to read this.. keep up the good work.. we will hopefully be returning soon.. 5/5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ we have only one tiny recommendation and that would be to have more body wash for the bath. The two tiny bottles were only enough for one bath.

• Double or Twin Room

The bed was like a board and the pillows were awful and there was awful noises from deliveries and hotel staff passing our window in the early morning before 8am .

It was clean and had parking facilities

Although I had a nice stay while experiencing all that Kilarney has to offer, I was not pleased with the way my booking was handled. I was refused to be refunded after booking a non-refundable room (which was not obvious on the booking.com website). I thought I was only reserving the booking and hadn't realised I had made the purchase until I checked my bank balance which had taken the money out of my overdraft! I think it is unfair to not refund someone who has contacted you within 24hours of making the booking and a further 2 months before the stay was to take place. It was a genuine a mistake. As the hotel wouldn't refund my booking, I enquired to the reservations manager could she see if she could sell the room before my stay and if not I would be happy to pay for the room but I was refused and she offered no solution to my problem. As my parents own a bed & breakfast and are in a similar business to you, I understand how frustrating it can be when a customer cancels a booking last minute. As my booking was a non-refundable booking and was my own mistake, I fully accept responsibility but I strongly think if a customer has made contact within 24hours of first purchasing the booking, that they should. As I am a college student, you can imagine that it was a struggle financially for the first 2 weeks after making this booking and the way the booking was handled made me feel like I did not want visit your hotel.

Room and bathroom was lovely & my partner really enjoyed the breakfast on the last day of our stay. The bed was so comfortable & was the best sleep I have had in a while!

• Double or Twin Room

Very little heat in the hotel. With a 3 month old baby it wasn't ideal. We asked for the fire to be lite in the bar to which we were ignored. My mam had to complain at reception. They then came out and tried to lite it with no firelighters. I had to take the baby upstairs as it was just to cold. They had no problem lightening it for functions but for their guests they had very little interest.

Bedrooms were spotless, reception staff were very helpful

• Double or Twin Room

Could of supplied more than soap in bathrooms. Shampoo,conditioner.etc

Beautiful restaurant and bat area. Atrium Inside. Staff very friendly and thought it was a charming hotel. Big rooms,nice decor.Modern bathroom.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Bed was too hard and the light from the corridor shone into my room all night. Staff on reception didn't know how to turn it off..

Staff very friendly. Nice decor with a high standard. Food was very tasty.

The hotel is not as beautiful as advertised. The photos mainly report to the restaurant and bar areas, while the bedroom and reception building is nothing close to that. The halls and reception area are not 4 star level, but more like a 3 star hotel.

The bedroom was really good, warm and clean. Bed was extremely comfortable, bathroom had excelent facilities. Make sure you don't miss the Killarney National Park on your visit to Ireland!

• Double or Twin Room

The signage from the road was difficult to spot in the dark wet evening when we arrived

really comfy beds, nice bathroom, great breakfast and generally lovely warm and welcoming place to stay.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

only flaw was paid 10 euro more for my room than everyone I knew at the wedding and got not breakfast and they did? So I payed more and got less

Everything perfect was there for a wedding, room was gorgeous, area around hotel by the wheel was lovely, food great And staff were nice

Probably because it's on the outskirts of the town, the bar can be very quiet but then again that can be a positive!!

Good value hotel on the outskirts of Killarney. Staff very friendly and helpful and good food. Always enjoy my stay here.

The staff in the hotel are so friendly and in particular the barman Dominick (not correct spelling of name) is super at his job and looked after us with 5* treatment, the room was warm and very spacious

I was woken up three times in the middle of the night to shouting on the corridor! More choice on the bar menu?

Staff were friendly and approachable and welcoming. Good value, good location

• Double or Twin Room

This hotel is excellent value for money and the location is under a 5 minute drive from the city centre or €5 in a taxi. The staff are very friendly and extremely helpful, in fact I would say it has been one of the best hotels I have stayed in for excellent customer service. The lady who was on reception when we arrived was so helpful and friendly. The room was really clean and cosy and the décor was modern. The beds were very comfortable and the room was quiet. Often I find in hotels it can be quite noisy and its possible to hear noise from the room beside, this was not the case and it was lovely and quiet. As soon as we arrived down in the morning for breakfast a lady called Bernie came over straight away and offered us different areas to sit. She came back over once or twice to make sure we didn't need anymore tea/toast. She was very courteous and polite. If fact another member of staff who was passing had also asked if we wanted more of anything else. The restaurant was busy and I noted how the staff were continuously on the lookout to make sure everyone had been attended to. Myself and my friends had commented how its so rare now to get hotels where staff are so helpful and friendly. There was a great choice from the buffet and it was well stocked up. Overall we were delighted with our stay and I wish to thank the lovely staff who I feel should be commended on their excellent customer service as it can be rare these days to get staff who take such pride in their jobs.

The room was large and light with everything we needed. We had a good view of the mountains.The staff were friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast was excellent. There was plenty of parking.

• Double or Twin Room

When I arrived at 4 o clock room wasn’t ready ... I was at a wedding on my own and really wanted to check in and freshen up .. I almost felt like it was an inconvenience that I wanted to check in ... the answer was “ there was a wedding here last night “... Quiet frankly it’s not good enough to be waiting till nearly 5 o clock for a room .. Hotel is dated, lobby and bar could do with a spruce up .

Stayed here for a wedding . Room clean , nice decor . Well appointed

• Double or Twin Room

They don’t have wash cloths in bathroom otherwise great place.

The restraunt dinner was amazing make sure to reserve won’t disappoint great place to stay breakfast also was very nice.

• Double or Twin Room

We booked a double room but was given a twin room with 2 double beds. There was only 2 of us so the room felt a bit big.

Easy check in. Receptionist was nice. Room decor was nice also. Only booked few days before and got it at a reasonable rate considering Killarney was a hot spot the next day. Would stay here again.

• Double or Twin Room

I personally like a variety of cold meats and cheese at breakfast but this was limited. There was a wonderful cooked breakfast to be had though.

The bedroom was a good size with a very comfy bed. No traffic noise either. Definitely going to use this hotel again.

• Double or Twin Room

Nothing they looked after me very well

I traveled down to do an adventure race. I had to be up early before breakfast. The night porter organized some breakfast for me and could not do enough for me, I found this the same with all the staff. Seriously impressed

The breakfast options and the quality of food at the restaurant was not quite up to the mark.

The ambience and decor was lovely; and basic in-room facilities were there.

• Double or Twin Room

Door hard to open and fans on the roof outside my room was on all night. I did report this to the front desk and they said they would look into it

Place was a good stop of point and everything u want from a hotel

I arrived late after my flight was delayed, check in was extremely quick and easy. The room was very clean and comfortable and there was great selection available for breakfast. I would definitely stay again.

bed super comfy excellent breakfast and dinner ...lovely bathroom ... the towels so luxurious.. welcoming and friendly staff will definitely be back

Ate at the restaurant on the first evening, the food was lovely and a reasonable price. Plenty of space in the car park. Very friendly/helpful staff

The room was a little on the cold side when we arrived, no other complaints otherwise!

For the price I paid I wasn't expecting the room to be as nice and that was a great surprise after the journey down. Great Value for money! Shower was also amazing !!

A wedding party took place whilst we were there and some of the guests were unreasonably noisy in the corridors leading to the rooms. This was in the early hours of the morning so resulted in a disturbed night. Have a great party but once on the sleeping floors keep quiet eh

The staff were excellent apart from giving directions to the hotel. It is not easy to use Satnav across all of Ireland and explicit directions are essential.

slow service dining room. to hot in room. parking lot view out window.

great parking lot view, hot room the heater wouldnt shut off so had staff maintance shut the heat off.. could have used a fan in room.,. stuffy,, couldnt leave windows open due to traffic noise, Photo deceiving of hotel looking like its out in the middle of nowwhere but not so. nice stay anyway. slow service in dining room for breakfast and evening meal...

Room furniture was very weathered, the bed was very uncomfortable, sheets were scratchy, pillows were thin and firm. The bathroom was dirty and the room had a general worn feel to it.

Location and dining room. Staff in dining room were helpful and friendly.

We had room on ground floor near reception - people smoking outside reception - smoke came through our open window, so had to keep window close. Had trouble with shower, asked twice before getting help.

Excellent breakfast. Very quiet. Spacious room. Very clean.

To be honest, Iv'e stayed in a lot of hotels in Cork and Kerry and a good few all over the country for that matter. Both business and with my partner. But the things I look for in a hotel is, the hotel itself, staff and food. This hotel was excellent with wonderful staff and an amazing hotel and myself and my partner will be back! I never tried the food there so I am not going to say anything about that! but from what I've heard from friends the food is supposed to be excellent. I arrived to be greeted with a beautiful smile and a warm welcome at the reception and as the saying goes, first impression is all, and so true!... the room we stayed in was immaculate and had no faults. I'm a 26 year old that likes to go out and wine and dine, has the laugh like anybody else my age, but does appreciate a good quality hotel and this is definitely one of them in Killarney, with lovely and friendly staff and just a beautiful and top class hotel!! Thank you. Wish I could get the opportunity to stay there again, but for longer this time.

The staff were incredibly friendly. Suzi on reception checked us in and out and our waiter in the restaurant for dinner was not only friendly but very entertaining.

Its a bit out of town so not walking distance, the walls are not well insulated so you can hear everything next door, and they could do with cushioning the doors I was woken up alot during the night and early morning be slamming doors

Friendly helpful staff, excellent food, lovely rooms, stunning bathroom, I would stay again despite the negatives below, id just bring earplugs

Far from the center, and old hotel which needs to be refreshed

Big clean room with all the equipements, easy to park the car, kind and helpful lady at reception

Receptionist was extremely welcoming and friendly treated the kids especially nice. Spacious rooms. Breakfast excellent. Staff were lovely

I would have liked to hear music in the background during breakfast. Maybe traditional Irish music please.

I would highly recommend this hotel. It is close to Killarney town and to the racecourse. The room was clean and bed extremely comfortable. Fantastic power shower. The staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was varied and tasty and the breakfast area was lovely - a bright conservatory. I would definitely stay here again!

The rooms are a bit tired could use a freshen up and the wing we were on overlooked a huge flat roof and the safety locks on the windows were broken leaving it accessible to people entering rooms via the roof so had to close windows making the rooms very hot and stuffy.

the appearance of the outside of the property was very grand, on site parking that's free and friendly staff.

The breakfast was a total fiasco. There were not enough staff to clear and reset the tables and we had to wait in a queue for 15 minutes and wait another 15 minutes before the table was cleared from the previous guests. The buffet was was very sparse and there was no bread.

The room was very spacious.

Staff where excellent from reception ( Rod & Rosin) to restaurant (Keith) and Jamie who gave us complimentary breakfast on our departure. These are only a few who made our stay enjoyable and comfortable. Very friendly and helpful in any request or information that we required. Would definitely recommend this accomodation.

The hotel looks really lovely from the outside but could do with a renovation. The bed was very comfortable and the room was nice and spacious, also everything was very clean. The furniture was shabbly. The staff were wonderful, very helpful and friendly with the exception of the bar. Very bad service along with a depressed and dour expression on the young man's face. No manners...

- directly on a main road - walking distance to the city center is not to be underestimated

+ Very fresh and delicious breakfast with big variety + very new and clean bathroom + comfortable bed + big parking lot in front of the hotel + friendly and helpful personal

Our room was above the bar and there was music all evening. Didn't bother us too much as it did stop after midnight.

Staff were very friendly and super helpful, particular shout out to the lovely receptionist who helped us plot out our trip.Massive portions of food in the restaurant and wasn't overly expensive.

Bed was a teeny bit uncomfortable but had a lovely sleep nonetheless and the milk that was in the room for the tea and coffee had gone off from the sun shining in the window I presume, no big deal anyway the girl at reception was delighted to sort me out with more milk :D

lovely breakfast, staff very friendly especially the foreign girl at the reception on the Sunday night, welcoming atmosphere, lovely pints

everything was very, very, good, no bad reviews from me.

It was brilliant, the hotel was great, the staff were great, the food was very good indeed. will be going back have found a gem here.