Reviews of The Lansdowne Hotel 3 stars

27-29 Pembroke Road, D4 Dublin, Ireland

#87 of 136 hotels in Dublin

• Special Offer - Double Room

They charged my credit card when made book, even, booking.com’s policy is authorization only. And receptionist asking payments when I check in. If I didn’t mention it, charge me double.

Whilst I have no problem in paying for parking, I didn't like the fact that the hotel don't "run" their car park. A 3rd party "runs" it. You don't pay reception the money. You have to either download an app onto your phone or use the pre-installed app the hotel have on their tablet. You have to create an account to be able to pay for the parking. This is not specified on their website.

• Special Offer - Twin Room

There was nothing wrong. Everything was amazing.

The hotel was extremely clean and a of the staff were very friendly and always smiling and eager to help. I would highly recommend the Lansdowne Hotel.

• Special Offer - Single Room

The single room I stayed in was the smallest room I ever stayed in, bathroom was also tiny, The room was only slightly bigger than the single bed.

location and staff were friendly

The room was located adjacent to a creek wooden staircase to upper floors, vert noisey

• Special Offer - Double Room

Didn't realise there was no lift so if you have mobility difficulties ask for a room on the first floor. Room rather small. Curtains very thin so room was bright too early.

All staff friendly and helpful. Food was good in bar and breakfast. Fairly easy to find and public transport close by for links to city centre and airport.

This is called a Boutique hotel, that is a euphemism for old and desperately needing money spending on it. The room Number 24 was small, the bathroom microscopic and without trying to draw pictures, sitting on the toilet was either an exercise in gymnastics or you had to be less than 5ft tall. I am neither as flexible as Olga Corbett nor under 5ft. I had checked the prices of hotels around and maybe it was because there was a final at the rugby stadium, but this was not value for money at all. I think hotels in Dublin live in the same commercial alternate world as sandwiches at motorway service stations and airports.

The location was superb for the Rugby stadium , the reason for our visit. The staff were in the main very keen to help, the gentleman behind the front desk on our arrival was harassed and he was unable to hide it at all. He let us know they were short staffed as though that was a good enough reason to be abrupt. All other staff were very helpful and friendly. The shower in the bathroom was very strong and that was the rooms best feature, though a sign of good hotel,I always feel is the quality of the towels and they were thin and small.

• Special Offer - Twin Room

Breakfast was good, but our server wasn’t able to communicate what was included and the menu wasn’t helpful. There is no elevator and the stairs have low risers which could be a problem for some people.

Charming. Nice room. Beds and duvets were comfy. Good shower. Staff was responsive and helpful when asked. We liked the location. Close to city and airport buses. Also, we enjoyed the long walk to city center for great shopping, restaurants, museums, tours, sightseeing, etc. Good cafes and pub close by. The area felt safe.

Outrageous price for standard of accommodation. Man on reception on arrival was abrupt and bordering on being rude.

Location. Staff in bar n restaurant were very pleasant and helpful.

• Special Offer - Double Room

Rooms are a little dated, but clean and everything you need works.

The staff, particularly Aga and Brendan, couldn't do more to be friendly to all guests.

No elevator to upper floors. Wifi seemed a bit hit and miss. €12.50 for Irish breakfast and €12 to park your car was a bit extortionate.

Within walking distance of Temple bar. The room was a good size but it is on a busy road. The shower was excellent.

• Special Offer - Double Room

The tee bags in the rooms are plastic tee bags. Why with all the current issues of plastics do you not buy paper tee bags which will degrade and disappear. Each plastic tea bag is in its own individual plastic bag. I do not know if this was a deliberate joke but the pack says 'please recycle this pack'. Well I did look outside for a line of teabags drying in the sun but no.

The location was excellent with lots of local pubs and restaurants

• Special Offer - Double Room

Paid for parking ,could not take the car out as it was blocked by a table also no guarantee that parking would be available if we used our car,paid for a service but no guarantee of parking

Theocation

• Special Offer - Twin Room

A little overpriced to not include breakfast in the total prize and in general I think they could lower their prizes,very thin walls you could hear everything and could be heard offcourse.

Clean room and premises,very polite and helpful staff,great location,close to the center and quiet area(it was Easter)

Rooms weren't the cleanest.

Barfood was fab Brendan was so nice and happy to be serving us! Couldn't have made us feel more welcome! Breakfast was lovely the next morning, the young lad could have been a little more pleasant.

The free parking is no longer free as they have sold their parking spaces and you even have to pay overnight but outside their gate is free overnight! There were net curtains in the room like grandmas house! The bathroom is tiny, barely room to turn. Shower tray filled up with water as soon as shower turned on so clearly blocked. Reception staff just putting in their time, no friendly welcome. No space at end of bed to pass, had to turn sideways and shuffle.

• Special Offer - Single Room

Couldn’t fault anything here. Met my expectations, and my dad loved it for his 70th

Check in was fast, they kept our bags as we were early. Hotel bar was brilliant, lively, friendly and good crowd. Drink prices good. Location was spot on to the aviva. Was also great area at night to check out bars and restaurants

Nothing really springs to mind.

Bed comfy, shower and WiFi good. A lot of space in the room which was great. Parking is available at a reasonable price for Dublin and the location is very good. The Bar downstairs has a good vibe and the food is good - the guy working the bar is excellent. Really liked the place and will be back next week.

I wasn’t informed there wouldn’t be parking due to BBQ. TV was hard to see from bed.

Staff at check in was very friendly and helpful . Fantastic location.

• Special Offer - Twin Room

Receptionist efficient but a bit grumpy

The hotel is in perfect location for the Aviva stadium and also walking distance to main shopping district and only 200mtrs to fabulous restaurants

• Special Offer - Double Room

As I had to move my dates from Tue/Wed to Wed / Thu in order to attend an unexpected death of a colleague, I was charged an extra €60 - I only booked the room the previous week so I was unhaoppy with the level of the charge. For convenience, I decided to pay the extra & avail of the proximity to the RDS

Fact that one of the vending machines was working then stopped after I and another person attempted to put money in it and the vending machine kept trapping the coins in it but the following day I was refunded the money I had lost in the vending machine by a receptionist. I hope next time I stay, the vending machine doesn't trap my money again. Also the hotel could do with a elevator as it was hard dragging my bag up 3 flights of stairs. Also I was accidentally charged an additional €30 for lunch which didn't happen as a receptionist explained as I was refunded that money the following day but hopefully I won't get accidentally charged again

The size of my room which was decent although could have been a bit bigger as it was hard moving around. I also liked the breakfast although the Apple juice was okay but wasn't the best. Portion size was just right though.

Location was perfect for my business event. Rooms were spacious and comfortable. Bar food was excellent. Majority of staff were very friendly, welcoming and extremely helpful.

• Special Offer - Double Room

The walls are too thin could hear next doors tv. There was a strong smell of drains in the corridor.

I loved how friendly and accommodating all the staff were. The location is perfect.

• Special Offer - Double Room

No heating in the room or hot water in the bathroom tap. I did not book breakfast as I was leaving early. The Hotel did offer free breakfast but I could no avail of it.

• Special Offer - Double Room

Very cold inside. Cold outside, cold inside..we wait a few hours and ask for a electric heater in order to make a warmer air in our room. A little bit to expensive for what they offer.

• Special Offer - Double Room

Radiators needed bleeding room was cold on arrival. Bathroom window does not close fully. Meant to mention it to staff but forgot.

Convenient. Shower has great pressure and loads of HOT water, bed comfortable and clean

• Special Offer - Double Room

The tap in the bathroom wiggled, and the floor creaked which may have caused some noise to the people below.

We were particularly charmed by the breakfast lady and the personal touch of the staff towards their customers. Great breakfast, adapted to one's personal preferences! Very nice pub and pub lunch is great value for it's prize. A nice spacious room with ensuite bathroom. Bedding was nice and warm, beds very spacious. We'll be back!

• Special Offer - Twin Room

The water temperature in the shower was a bit difficult to get right, it was either too hot or too cold. One of our windows was looking out over a courtyard with a big bright light. Unfortunately that light was on all night and the room was too bright.

Lovely and clean hotel within walking distance to the city centre. Stayed there for one night only but will be back again for another visit.

• Special Offer - Double Room

A box of tissues in the room would have been nice, a face washer and a bar of soap

Hotel was ideally located and staff very helpful and accommodating, as I arrived early and left late

• Special Offer - Double Room

Bar should have been open. and ambiance isnt great. Staff nice.

not my type of place bar doesnt open on Sunday night dont think you can get food either. Very good location thats about it. Billy basic you get what you pay for. Off street parking was very handy with no charge.

• Special Offer - Double Room

Nothing really. At first I thought it looked a bit like it could do with redecorating but it’s in keeping with the hotel.

Extremely welcoming and lovely staff. Lovely food, Small but very comfortable and very clean room .

• Special Offer - Twin Room

Creaky floorboards in room and door a little difficult to close. Needed to be slammed firmly which was noises for other guests perhaps. Unfortunately restaurant was closed due to the storm although other restaurants were available nearby.

clean room with large comfortable bed and good space.

• Special Offer - Double Room

We couldn't find a place to park and we drove around for ages finally got a spot at least 10 minutes walk away because of the rugby match there was no parking at the hotel also the restaurant was not open and the only food we could get was a burger or a hot dog and those were just awful although we booked a taxi at 3 o'clock when we were checking in to collect us at 5 30 we had to go out onto the street and try and get one ourselves we didn't find the staff at reception any way helpful atall in fact everything seemed to be a botheration to them

The bed was very comfy

Aloof staff, not informative, their offerings are misleading and not explained well. No coffee provided (unless you pay 7 Euro for breakfast). Small rooms, outdated bathrooms. Lights were broken in my bathroom the entire stay. They overbook tourist events at the adjacent pub which made it difficult to settle in and enjoy a pint or stay for dinner. I spent more time leaving the hotel in search of food at night and coffee in the morning, instead of staying and relaxing onsite as I'd hoped. Overall not a very pleasant stay, way overpriced for what you get.

Clean rooms

Booked this for my parents and their friends. My card got charged before the trip even though it said pay at the property I rang and got this refunded. Then when they were checking out they were told it's already been pre paid and that they can't pay and yet again they took the money out of my bank account! Now I have to arrange for the money to be transferred back to me from the 2couples

Lovely stay

• Special Offer - Double Room

Dated decor, dark stains on carpet, spongy floor in bathroom, could hear guests in rooms above walking around. Old sash single glazed windows allows road noise into rooms. Milk with tea coffee facilities curdled the drink. Tea and coffee Supplies were scare!

Great power shower and hot water, comfy clean beds

• Special Offer - Twin Room

There was nothing didn't like about the property.

It was close to everything you would need. Only up the road was places to grab food, right outside the door was a bus to get you around. Very comfortable and relaxing place to just chill.

• Special Offer - Twin Room

I couldn't fault this hotel. It was most comfortable and homely and while not 4 star is an excellent 3 star.

Very friendly staff. Brendan was a class barman. Lovely comfy bed. Great location .

• Special Offer - Single Room

staff (I had the same guy twice) was really not very friendly. Room was tiny and stuffy and had the basics. It was the cheapest i could find in that area (still 120€ a night) but I've rarely stayed in a room this small

location was great for me, house is nice and there's a pub inside

• Special Offer - Double Room

A little hard to find for a first timer in Dublin.

Really enjoyed the restaurant for dinner and tea and pub as well as the breakfast room was excellent!! Great value and convenience to have both in the hotel!! The breakfast staff particularly friendly and helpful!!👍

• Special Offer - Triple Room

After mix up with booking we had a great stay, great entertainment on Saturday for the game, staff were excellent. The best breakfast I've had in a long time at an hotel freshly cooked to order.

• Special Offer - Single Room

No bar,no food, ok it was a little late on a Sunday night, and to be fair there was an excellent bar just down the street, to which I was kindly directed by the chap on the desk, but a bit disappointing to have to venture out again, having just returned from Thurles tired and ready to relax.

On the whole the accommodation was grand, no problem.

• Special Offer - Double Room

Room was right over pub area. Noise made it hard to fall asleep. Next time will book early and ask for room at the back.

Booked at last minute. Got an excellent rate. Staff very helpful. Comfortable bed

• Special Offer - Single Room

Reception was helpful and check in quick and informative. The hairdryer in my room did not work but the chap on reception was up in minutes to replace it. Lovely comfy room. Lovely food served by 'Brendan' (I think) in the Den. I was starving and I was served a delicious meal in minutes. My only (tiny) complaint was 130euros for one night for one person is a little steep. Overall a very positive experience.

• Special Offer - Twin Room

This is a basic 3 star hotel, you get what you pay for, it's clean and comfortable, not luxury, it has all you need. The staff were professional, freindly and helpful on reception. There's plenty around, a nice area. Taxi not too expensive, took 20 mins to walk into town

• Special Offer - Double Room

The curtains couldn't be drawn completely (why do hotels always do that!) so if you like a sleep-in, bring a sleeping mask. The bathroom was fine but on the small side and quite basic.

A lovely hotel, in a great location - close to public transport, shops, bars, and restaurants. We were in the back of the hotel, room 53 and it seemed this floor had recently received a lick of fresh paint. The room was clean, happy to find coffee/tea facilities. Very comfy bed and the windows opened, which I always like because I prefer to have some fresh air. Great water pressure in the shower. We didn't eat at the hotel or check out the hotel bar but it looked like it had a pleasant atmosphere.

• Special Offer - Double Room

Rooms need air conditioning for hot summer nights.

As it was a really hot couple of days It would have been nice to have air conditioning. Shower facility was very spacious shower head was excellent. Only one issue the hot water tap was faulty, needs attention. I had to call Tim who was on duty that morning to sort it out immediately. Dangerous if I was standing under the shower head and turned it on I would have been scorched instantly. Besides that I enjoyed my stay and will happily go back.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

• Special Offer - Double Room

Bathroom is big but no complementary products (body lotion, shampoo/conditioner, shower cap). No equipment!

Staff is nice and very helpful. Bedroom is huge, very quiet and confortable.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

• Special Offer - Single Room

It tended to be a bit hot in my room, but the window opened, so all was well. Hot water was a bit slow getting through the pipes, but it came eventually.

This hotel is made by its staff. When I arrived, the front courtyard was crawling with football fans after a World Cup qualifier. "Agh...." I thought, but the chap on reception assured me they would be gone soon, and indeed, he phoned through as soon as I could put my car in the car park. Anne-Marie at breakfast was a delight. (There! I promised I'd give you a shout-out!) Also, Brendan who served in the bar/restaurant was old-world charm itself. After the football fans had gone, it was very quiet. There are a number of places to eat locally, apart from the hotel's own restaurant, from fish and chips and a Thai take way to a nice-looking Indian and much else besides

• Special Offer - Double Room

Lady serving breakfast did not allow me to charge the breakfast to the room. Bar tender was not very hospitable. Rooms small and outdated.

Receptionist was very friendly and polite

• Special Offer - Double Room

Parking very limited and my car got scraped by some idiot pulling out their car who never owned up either. Can't really blame hotel for that but there was still outdoor bars and railing sitting around from the Rugby night from 24 hours before so limited space even more.

Perfectly located. Very basic but weren't looking for anything more and price was reasonable so would use again as handy, clean, comfortable enough and great location.

Room was enormous! Breakfast was very good. Ann Marie, the daily server at breakfast, was probably the friendliest, most helpful person we have ever met at a hotel! Front desk staff was also very helpful.

• Special Offer - Single Room

Nothing really except for the price which I thought was a very steep. However Irish friends have told me that Dublin in expensive !

Staff very friendly and helpful ... very cheerful too! Every member of staff made me feel welcome ! Breakfast lady in particular was friendly and cheerful !

• Special Offer - Double Room

The dinner was microwaved I asked for a simple thing likes peas with my fish and chips but they didn't have any and room was tiny and the bathroom was a joke to small and only soap stuck to the wall

the staff were very friendly and nice

• Special Offer - Double Room

Old fashioned facilities. Able to hear other guest in neighbouring rooms

Staff was excellent: friendly and did their best to meet our requests. Good location, only 15min walk to Stephen's green park.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

• Special Offer - Triple Room

I found the decor very dated. I find the dark wood in both the rooms and the Den's bar to be very depressing to be honest. A personal opinion sorry. The towels in the room were clean but well worn.. and the bathrooms seemed very bare, and clinical. The basics re the hand soap in a lux dispenser and the combined one in the shower tends to portray that not much thought was put into it and the cheapens the look. A bit of colour even if it was a plant or picture of some sort would not go amiss.

I ate in the Den's bar. Gentleman behind the bar was very friendly and provided excellent customer service. On arrival at the hotel there were no parking spaces onsite. As a person travelling for work, I would carry valuable products with me, so to park on the street would not really be an option. Elena on reception was more than helpful and her professionalism unquestionable, and as soon as a space onsite became available I was notified. At breakfast the next morning I found Ann Marie to be very friendly and personable. The food was excellent. I found all the staff members to be exceptional in their jobs.

A bit run down, I stayed at this hotel 9 years ago. And nothing has changed since we where last here. In saying that, It is very clean and about a 20 min walk to grafton street .And free car parking to guests. Even though there was painting being carried out in the hallway, the hotel could be doing with a bit of a face lift.

The staff where so lovely very helpful and nothing was a bother. The free car parking was also an added bonus.

• Special Offer - Twin Room

There are only limited on-site parking spaces, which is fine at weekends as side-roads are usually free to use, but would be problematic on weekdays and during the big events which the area habitually hosts, e.g. at the Aviva and the EDS.

Staff were very accomodating of special requests.

• Special Offer - Single Room

Single room was too small, basement, and smelled of damp. Walls too thin, so could hear toilet and ventilator from next door and guests using the stairs. Confusing invoice/receipt at check out which bore no relation to booking advice or credit card statement.

Bar meal was good.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

• Special Offer - Double Room

The location isn't ideal. We walked into the city (approx 20 mins walk) but we would have preferred a slightly closer hotel. Room was small but clean and comfortable

There were a lot of restaraunts and bars in the area. Safe location. Staff very friendly. free glass of wine offered with dinner.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

• Special Offer - Double Room

There is very little parking. The room was quite small for two and became quite stuffy. We were at the front of the hotel and the window did not open to let fresh air in.

It is a small hotel and has a nice bar with good food. I especially like the free glass of wine for guests with dinner.

Too dear. Bed too, small mattress too thin. Furnishings tired and dowdy. Car park unfortunately Occupied by retail outlet.

Hotel was close to sore venue.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

• Special Offer - Double Room

TV signal poor, curtains thin, single glazing to front of hotel onto busy road. Car alarm woke me at silly o'clock. Common areas have chipped / dirty decor, funny smell in certain parts of property. Eggs over-cooked.

The room including bathroom was clean, and the shower powerful.

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

• Special Offer - Double Room

The mattress was almost as old as me I think. I had to sleep facing the window so I was uphill and less likely to fall out. I always choose a double so I can sleep in the middle and move my legs freely. Amazingly, I slept well. The curtains could do with being lined as there is a lot of lighting at the front of the hotel until quite late. There was barely any room to squeeze between the end of the bed and the wardrobe and it was impossible to pull the chair out far enough to sit at the desk and work. I had a separate sitting room but I would have preferred more room in the bedroom. An air conditioning or refrigeration fan turned on and off all the time and when it was on it sounded like Keith Moon on speed. There is no lift

The omelettes are fantastic! I wish I could afford to hire the chef. The toast was proper wholegrain wheaten bread. The service was also excellent. Friendly, welcoming and good humoured. It's a very nice building with high ceilings, lovely plaster cornices and lots of character. The bar is very cosy and the food served there is from the same chef. Location is very good too. You can walk anywhere is a few minutes. The shower was very good although the water temperature was a bit low in the mornings. The bathroom was small but well equipped and the plumbing was quiet, which I think is a first! There were plenty of electrical sockets.

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

• Special Offer - Twin Room

There was nothing I didn't like it was a lovely stay

The room was lovely clean and cosy. The hotel was beautiful and we'll worth the money. The staff were amazing and helpful.

• Special Offer - Twin Room

Sockets didn't work so couldn't dry hair or watch TV- room very warm - no air con so had to leave window open & outside noises were annoying.. Shower took ages to heat up- so mostly a tepid shower... Minimal parking... Other guests noisey at night.... Bed v small

Good location, staff nice

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

• Special Offer - Twin Room

my room was by the main door so was a little noisy with people coming in & out.

Staff were very friendly & helpful. free parking is a bonus in the city. rooms were spacious & comfortable. bar coffee excellent & reasonable

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

• Special Offer - Single Room

- Bright lights from a security light outside window shining through curtains all night (blackout lining needed!) - Noisy door-slamming in the early hours

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

• Special Offer - Twin Room

The staff were very friendly and helpful.The location is great, nice and quiet but walking distance from the center.This is one of the nicest parts of Dublin.The hotel is good value for money.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

• Special Offer - Single Room

Would need instructions on shower had to ask staff to help.

Comfortable hotel. Great location with friendly and helpful staff. Breakfast and meal in bar were delicious.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

The shower was virtually impossible to get a proper temperature in both rooms we booked. Either cold or close to scalding. The mixers need replacing.

Staff were very friendly

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

• Special Offer - Twin Room

The property needs to provide better soap in the bathroom it was just inconvenient to use.

Staff were friendly, Property was clean. A bit further away from the city but still decent and easy to get to (£10 tax ride away from city center)

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

Situated in very quiet area but extremely convenient to city - nice large bedroom and good bathroom facilities - excellent bar food and very "comfy" bar.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

• Special Offer - Double Room

I didn't dislike anything!

Hotel was perfect in every way, totally spotless, warm, staff in restaurant were fabulous as was the food, room was spacious and the bed was as comfy as my own!