Reviews of The Lucan Spa Hotel 3 stars

Main Road, N4, Lucan, Ireland

#2 of 2 hotels in Lucan

Ideal for what we needed

Have stayed here before and booked a bit late so wasn't expecting such a nice room-bigger and better room with a bath!! Hotel got in touch 2 days before to check we were still on schedule to arrive and what time-reassuring! Was worried about the extra bed we requested, but no worries it was a great room.

This was our second visit and it was even better than the first.

Alan the bar/food manager was an excellent host, super efficient and friendly. The bar food was delicious and the menu was very good. Breakfast was full Irish and very tasty. All the staff throughout were friendly and helpful.

Not a bad option.

Breakfast not great (not very healthy). Broken door in bathroom. No AC during our mini heatwave!

Good value for a wedding in Celbridge. Friendly staff.

Clean, Cheap and Cheerful.

Reception staff not very helpful. No fridge in room. Very noisy all night (to be expected as it's on the side of very busy road).

Friendly bar staff. Reasonably priced. Clean bedroom. Good bar food menu. Nice breakfast.

Staff friendly and extremely helpful, breakfast good, dinner...

Too far out of town. €60 return journey into Dublin by taxi. Found bus service on last day - was as good as taxi and 10th of price. Lift in hotel a bit rickerty. Sometimes thought we werent going to make it

Staff friendly and extremely helpful, breakfast good, dinner menu a bit limited but good quality.

Beds were very comfy.

Chef/Cook in Bistro was extremely rude to the customer in front of us so we left to get light bite and coffee elsewhere after arrival. All the other staff were lovely though.

Beds were very comfy. Close to bus and dart.

grand for what we needed

Old hotel. Pub at bottom of road is a bit ruin down looking. Room was not very big, shower looked a bit grubby.

old hotel but recently refurbished. Stayed as we were attending a wedding in another establishment nearby. Was good value for money as we were travelling locally. A bit out of the city if you were staying here and wished to travel into the city centre.

Too expensive for what I got! :(

I had a bad nights sleep as the person in the next room kept me up all night talking and crying and slamming doors. As I was up early next morning at 630am there was no cooked breakfast. I paid €130 for no sleep and cornflakes and toast!

The evening meal was nice but we had to eat it in the lobby as the football was really loud in the bar :(

Most of the staff are friendly and kind

The food in tbe bar was realy nice,, food in the bistro was shocking we did not eat any of it, when ww went to pay i told the person at the cash desk the food was not the best, her reply " our food is very good " Bathroom is tiny, taps in the bath dont work both the bedrooms were very small,

Most of the staff are friendly and kind Rooms were very clean

A happy stay

The size of the bathroom, very small, difficult not to bump into things. Fine if you're slim, otherwise not. It could also do with some shelving to put your things on.

We had a very roomy room on the ground floor which was great. When booking, I mentioned having a mobility issue and was very pleased with room location. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Food very tasty - good chef/s ; Portions of main courses are very generous. Location: We were visiting friends/family around so very useful. A lot of history to The Spa

It was o.k.

Elevator out of order for 4 of 6 days stayed. We were on the top floor. Also, only 5 channels on the television and 3 were news.

Staff very friendly and helpful.

Staff were all very friendly.

Location wasn’t great but not much they can do about that! But did at least mean it was very quiet as it was kind of in the middle of nowhere.

Staff were all very friendly. All the food was delicious as well.

Could be better

Breakfast was a bit chaotic, the hotel was busy and they had run out of most hot food items, there was a bit of a wait for more to arrive. Not sure if they were short staffed or not used to being so busy. The lift scared the life out of my when it jolted so much when it started moving, I used the stairs after that. The water pressure in the shower was not good, there would be a reasonable flow of water then it would drop to a slight trickle so I only had time for a quick shower, upon getting out of the shower I opened up a towel and noticed it was stained so I opened the other one and it wasn’t much better. The only reason I didn’t notify the staff was because this was just before I checked out and was already running late.

The lady at reception when we checked in was very friendly and helpful. The decor of the room was a bit dated but it was spacious and clean. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom was very modern and clean.

ok
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

WiFi was poor Family room needs a bath tab as most little children do not like a shower. The place could have been a more cleaner.

The bed was comfortable. the room was a bit spacious.

4 stars

The WiFi didn't work properly. The shower cubicle was very small, although the actual shower was fine. There was no view except of the N4.

Checking in was easy. The staff were really friendly and helpful. The bar meal was lovely, good value and plentiful. Easy to get to the airport in the morning.

Fantastic two days.

The only thing wrong was the big walk in shower leaked over into the bathroom floor so ended up soaking it up with the lovely soft white towels :((

Everything was excellent, the staff, the beds were so comfy, and the breakfast. It was close to the lovely Lucan village and buses to get you into Dublin centre .

if i stayed longer the 3 days would of been disappointed.

The bed was old and had a dip in it. It lent to one side so did not get a comfortable sleep. Asked the reception if food was being served she said yes, went to the bar and asked for a menu just to be told the kitchen was closed. This annoyed us for the rest of the night it also happened to be our last night so did not reflect well on the hotel.

Breakfast was okay.

The location food and staff were all great. The hotel could do with a revamp.

The bed wasn't very comfortable and as the room had no air conditioning we didn't have a great sleep as it was too warm. I thought the bar could have played some music as it was a Saturday night they just had the tv on so The atmosphere was dull, and stopped serving drink after 12 which I thought was wrong as redsidents are entitled to a late bar in the hotel they have paid to stay in.

I really enjoyed the food in the bar in the evening and the breakfast was lovely too. I liked how close it was to Lucan village

Evening meal in restaurant was good.

Room quite noisy. I was charged twice for the accommodation. I contacted the hotel to correct this and asked for compensation. They reimbursed me the overcharge plus 44 pence as compensation. Not exactly generous!

Evening meal in restaurant was good.

disappointing

there were long hairs in the shower and on the bathroom floor. if the bathroom is not good i will not eat in the hotel. so i did not go down for breakfast. there wasnt even a biscuit to have with the cup of tea in the room. place needs a major overhaul. never stay there again.. the price was also far too high.

location was great

Clean tidy Hotel with helpful and welcoming reception staff.

The main bar wasnt open when we arrived at 1.30pm. Its a little dated and old fashioned and could do with an upgrade - but its still a good Hotel and I would stay here again.

Rooms were clean and tidy - and beds and pillows very comfortable.

I don’t reccomend this hotel ! Was my first and last time in here !

Super small bed/room/bathroom . The shower water is getting cold or hot while taking a shower ... I got burned with hot water ... the breakfast is always the same ... eggs are cold in the morning . When is a wedding/ party down stairs u can hear the music in the room . Some stuff are not friendly and rude with attitude ! My friend was supposed to help me to take my stuff in my room but she was not allowed due to safety reasons ... so my friends can’t come up in my room ?! She was not planning to stay ...

Room are warm , restaurant has nice food . Some stuff are very nice . Very good WiFi !

A good stay.

The bathroom was an ok size but the toilet was jammed between the shower and the wall which made it awkward for my tall husband.

The bar food was really tasty and the rooms were comfortable especially the bed.

Reasonably priced stay in a dated hotel
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Overall hotel decor is quite dated. The room decor was bland and basic. The bathroom could do with being refurbished and was not spotlessly clean.

Friendly staff, evening meal tasty but not exceptional. Good breakfast

Wedding Stay

I can't say anything negative about Lucan Spa. I genuinely didn't dislike anything and this is coming from someone who can be very fussy at times.

Easy to get to. Great location. Liked the olde world charm. I felt really comfortable there and would definitely recommend

Very clean, had everything we needed, staff were pleasant...

The bed was way to hard & prevented me from getting a full night sleep, was stiff next day, bathroom was quite small

Very clean, had everything we needed, staff were pleasant and friendly, breakfast was nice

The property was easy to get to, the staff on arrival were...

Zero not to like!

The property was easy to get to, the staff on arrival were lovely. The room while small was sufficiently spacious and really comfortable!!

good value, comfy but no frills!

the word spa in the title is misleading...no.pool,gym or any beauty salon but otherwise fine

old hotel but very clean and comfy. wholesome food and friendly staff

Thoroughly enjoy staying at the Spa Hotel. No complaints. Staff very helpful.

I book rooms here couple of times a year for my family and friends visiting me from abroad. Never had a complaint. The staff a really helpful and friendly. Excellent service and homely feel. Thank you. Always a pleasure to stay here. James

Room just about ok for 1 person only... don't expect much.

Small room and tiny bathroom (reminded me of a compact caravan or mobile-home bathroom) Water temperature very irregular and need to run the water for 5 mins before it gets hot TV has got only 5 channels and bad quality Lift did not deserve my floor

- Welcoming and helpful staff - Clean room - Good bed

Close proximity to the office. Clean. Reasonably priced.

Bed linen torn. Looked a bit tatty. Room was a bit on the cold side - but there had been bad weather with snow.

Nice breakfast before setting out for the day.

Fine to stay but DON'T EAT THERE

Breakfast choices were very basic. Juice from concentrate, only canned grapefruit as fruit option, few basic cereals. Bacon was undercooked and very fatty, scrambled eggs were very pale and extremely watery. Dinner was appalling - the "homemade burger" was a frozen quarter pounder with processed cheese. My colleague's red Thai curry was bright glistening yellow, completely tasteless goo. We both sent back our food and got fish and chips which were passable, but we did not receive any apology or reduction in the bill.

Not much.

Great Hotel.

Nothing really not to like about the hotel, but a bit tricky to get to with the local road system, although my car sat nav was the issue here. I would recommend using google maps on mobile phone to cover the last mile or so to the hotel.

Great Hotel. Friendly welcome, smart, well decorated and good sized room. Brakfast was very good, with a range of options, cereals, hot food etc.

I like the friendly atmosphere of the hotel, the service at...

I like the friendly atmosphere of the hotel, the service at the front desk was exceptional and the food for breakfast was truly delicious. I will always stay in your hotel when I visit Dublin!

Because of a health problem I was using the hotel as a stop...

Because of a health problem I was using the hotel as a stop off on my way to catch a ferry. it was a short notice booking, at what was for me a good price. I knew that I would be leaving early to catch the ferry and was pleasantly surprised when I was offered a breakfast in reception at 6 am. The room was pleasant, clean and comfortable and the evening meal I enjoyed was good quality at a reasonable price. It was no surprise as I had stayed here before when I had visited Dublin.

Staff were great.

Food wasn’t great. We paid for breakfast included and only attended on the first day, we did not go again for the duration of the holiday which was another 4 days, meaning we were out of pocket a little bit from having to buy breakfast else where. The shower was rubbish, needs sorting. Made me not want to get in, couldn’t have a bath cause the leaver to switch from shower to bath was broken and wouldn’t stay down, when you held it down dark brown water came out so this was off putting. Cobwebs on the ceiling, Not very warm due to one tiny radiator giving off a small amount of heat for a big room. Location was okay, says 20 minutes from centre and airport, more like 30 to airport in a car and 57 pm transport to the centre but buses are efficient so was not difficult to get around.

Staff were great. Helpful whenever we needed them. Bed made and fresh towels everyday when instructed to do so by the ‘service my room’ leaflet you hung on the door outside.

Our stay was fantastic overall. It was meant to be a base for our travels around Dublin

After having a shower the steam would get into the room and fog up the mirrors. It made the room hotter than what was needed.

It is a nice and quiet venue. The staff were amazing and really helpful.

Perfect stay with wonderful hospitality.

The staff is what gets the Lucan a high score. Carmel in the bar was fabulous. Lovely security and night staff. The food in the bar is second to none. Really good food and lots of it. The pork steak was fabulous as was the platter for one person. All reasonably priced. The room (222) was small but adequate for our needs but the bed was really comfortable and I had a great nights sleep. There was no bath and I was sorry I hadn’t put a request in for one, I just assumed there would be one. But the shower was great, really strong and water was hot. All in all, I would recommend this hotel and as I said, the staff make it. Well done The Lucan Spa.

Fair.. will not be returning unfortunately

Food was just ok.. bed was sunk in the middle and the shower kept going hot & cold. The woman at reception was a little rude at times (depending on her mood)

Great value for money easy to get to from airport and also ease to drive into Dublin Centre

The toilet didn't flush however I read a review prior to visiting which said the same thing so we knew we would have to manually flush using the ballcock. I would have thought this would have been fixed .

Fantastic breakfast great value for money and bonus of car park

It was spoiled by the unacceptable behaviour of the above mentioned travellers.

The quality of the Guiness was deplorable. Travellers were served drink despite having a very public altercation in the bar.

Efficient friendly waitress for breakfast.

Enjoyed my stay at the Lucan Spa.

The room was not warm enough even though the heating was on.

The staff are all very friendly, helpful & smiley. The beds & pillows were comfortable. Lots of hot water.Lots of parking & it is free.

convenient location and safe/free parking.

Bed not very comfortable. Went down early for breakfast - sausages/rashers/egg at breakfast were cold and hard overcooked rashers. Stay here for the convenience to Liffey Valley - not the luxury!

convenient location and safe/free parking. plenty of space to sit at breakfast.

Friendly staff but we won't be back.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Dinner was painfully slow arriving in restaurant after 1 hr of ordering. food arrived which really should have been returned. Potatoes had hard crust food bland and cool. Toilet did not flush and we had to lift of lid and pull from there!

Comfortable bed friendly staff

Friendly, homely, property so near to interesting places to...

Rooms very hot. Room a bit small, tiny shower it was OK as we only there to sleep one night.

Friendly, homely, property so near to interesting places to visit. On bus routes. The property was clean. Friendly helpful staff. Lovely breakfast

Lovely hotel

The bathrooms quite small. (small criticism)

The food in bar was amazing. limited vegetarian brekkie but that's nearly the same everywhere.. Great location to Liffey Valley

Relaxed and trouble free.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The hotel is looking a little tired. The meat in the pie at lunchtime was so chewy it made my brother retch.

The room was comfortable, breakfast was good, as was the bar food in the evening. Reception staff were helpful and friendly.

Nice hotel with mostly lovely and professional staff.

The bar was closed for a private function and I was directed to the bar in the Bistro. I stood at the bar for for a good few minutes and no one came to serve me, so I left. Waitress who served our dinner in the restaurant didn't seem too happy in her job.

Great food, plenty for breakfast.

Good value wouldn’t stay if there was a wedding booked there as they same time as stay.

Stayed in room 312 lovely except for the wedding party that came in at 4 am very thin walls and no sleep after that unfortunately.

The selection on offer was excellent for breakfast and the staff were lovely, had evening dinner in the bar and it was excellent and good value for money.

Very pleasant.

Your german channels are iffy. You can get free to air lots of german channels with a dish.... 19.2 degrees east. And all of them in HD. Lots of other channels also available on the same dish.

Nice food and plenty of it! Good breakfast with great selection. I don't eat croissants. I prefer bacon eggs and sausages which were very good. I would stay here again.

Won't be back

Avoid room 320 if you want to sleep beyond 5.50, was woken by a generator or boiler noise, it sounded like a classic car ticking over and it continued all morning, it announced itself with a big bang so no avoiding it. To add insult, housekeeping came looking for the room at 9.20.

Nice breakfast

Suited my needs for a short stay, ideal location next to the motorway. Competitively priced.

Update the appearance of the hotel. Breakfast was plated for you.

Ideal location literally on the side of the motorway. Generally clean though dated in appearance. Decent selection of food available,breakfast was available too bit was served for you rather than help yourself. Clean and tidy rooms and facilities.

After I complained about the room I was given a bigger and more comfortable room. Staff were very lo

The tap was loose in bathroom. Was given a very poor room initially. Had to complain to get what I booked.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Bed was very comfortable.

I felt that the hotel was homely and clean,but a few things needed attention.

The heat could not be turned on in the room,and when we phoned reception,we were advised that it was controlled centrally. The shower temperature was difficult to control.

The lady on reception was very friendly and helpful. The bedroom was comfortable.

Only acceptable if you must be in this area

The bathroom had no toiletries and one half used toilet roll was left. I had to ask for mire toilet roll to be provided and ask again when none arrived. For the price of the room I expect more.

Very pleasant and relaxing.

The fruit salad at breakfast was not fruit salad - mainly chopped Apple. No cold meats or cheeses for continental breakfast. No croissants or Danish when we came down on either day👎 . The en- suite was spotless with good toiletries and good sanitary ware But Narrow - tight fit !

Loved the old world touches of working wooden shutters on Windows in lounge& timber panelling throughout. Lovely stained glass in places & framed historical scrolls relating to the early history of the estate. Loved the ambience and the smoking area/ glass covered to the front. Nice gardens.

It was in a very convenient location for what I needed.

Considering the food had been so good in the bar the breakfast was a bit overcooked and greasy.

It was in a very convenient location for what I needed. Free WiFi is a great bonus. The food in the bar was delicious and very handy being able to get a wide variety of dishes on site. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was exactly what was described and very good value for money considering I booked it last minute.

Quick visit to Dublin so the hotel was perfect for our over night stay we had a great night sleep .
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Staff are very friendly, big safe car park on site, bar food was tasty. Good location just outside Dublin City so the hotel was quite and peaceful for the kids.

At 139 for B&B for 2 I felt it wasnt good value, the room was old, v and looking onto a bottle yard

The room was just about ok, bathroom very small, no drinking glass, overlooking a dull yard with exterior walls winds etc requiring painting. this was our 2nd stay at the Lucan Spa and certainly not near as good as the last time

The staff were pleasant and friendly particularly Claire at Reception

Why is it called the lucan spa and it doesn't even have a pool or spa?

Rooms absolutely dreadful, staff very unhelpful!! We asked several questions and we're completely shut down each time, bathroom was filthy, can't believe I paid 160 for it!!

very disappointing, rooms basic, dull and really need...

very disappointing, rooms basic, dull and really need decorated definitely not 3 star, musky smell, breakfast minimal and Luke warm with very little variety

Super friendly and helpful staff!
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Hotel was dingy - looked and felt rundown. Our room was super hot, even with the windows open to let in the cold night air. Scuff marks and little holes on walls in our room. Hair in bathtub when we arrived. Basic breakfast.

Super friendly and helpful staff! Comfy beds.

Overpriced for Very Average Hotel

Breakfast was really poor. Worst I have ever had in a hotel. Hotel was extremely overpriced for such an average experience. Many hotels in Lucan, Tallaght, Clondalkin, Blanchardstown area that are of much higher spec and even though breakfast is not included it is still considerably cheaper to stay in them.

Room was modern and clean. Staff were nearly all professional and friendly. Young barman was outstanding and will have a great career in the hospitality sector.

Couldn't find the room for ages and the reception...

Couldn't find the room for ages and the reception wasn't all that friendly when I approached to her about I couldn't find the room for the second time..

I loved the location, the breakfast.

I made a mistake in booking for single bed and when I had to pay extra which was fair but the room I got with my husband was so tiny with one glass, one cup which explains that despite the extra payment, I got a single room instead of double room. If the room given is really a double, then the hotel is rip off

I loved the location, the breakfast.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

Not great

The beds were uncomfortable, with old fashioned spring mattress. The bathroom shower was scolding hot, And the bathroom was dirty. The bedroom doors are really heavy so when neighbouring rooms shut them it wakes you up. It says it's a spa hotel. I'm not sure. It's not near to any of the town. Not really worth my money.

Free parking.

Comfortable. Reasonably priced. No airco in room which will give some issues in summer

Very hot in room. No airco. Windows had to be opened with much noise from highway next to hotel

Cosy hotel. Some things were bit outdated but didnt bother me too much. Some maintenance issues but notthing functional. Very kind staff. Good bar food and restaurant

It was very comfortable.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

It was very comfortable. The staff was incredibly nice there was a wonderful part just down the road I believe it was called Courtney the shower lacked a little water pressure but all in all it was an amazing experience Thank you

Great staff and comfy beds

Breakfast was over cooked and cold. Arrived early Sunday morning 8.30am purposely to avoid late Sunday breakfastees. Staff friendly but warm buffet disappointing

Bed comfy. Service and helpful staff.Good bar food and price

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

Very good stay.

the staff were very welcoming and friendly. The bedrooms were nice with very comfy beds. Although the room was beside the road they had extra glazing on the windows which means you could barely here a thing.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

Was probably good in 1980s

Sign posting poor.Check in tried to charge again.Room was tired and smelt of cigarette smoke. Plaster had been repaired with rough cement.Could just about get into shower cubicle. Shower continually went hot/cold. Breakfast just warm, served on cold plates.Breakfast staff abrupt, talking house gossip loudly.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

Not inclined to stay here again

A tired hotel with mostly disinterested staff

Early morning lady receptionist was the bright, cheery and professional exception ...very helpful arranging a second taxi when our's failed to show up

Would stay here again for sure

Room was so warm even though i had the heating off. Bathroom very small but clean

Restaurant staff were really helpful and friendly especially since i was travelling alone, I found they made my dining experience most enjoyable. Bed was really comfortable.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

I was attending a course whereby i needed to leave prior to...

I was attending a course whereby i needed to leave prior to normal breakfast serving times. The staff arranged an early breakfast and went out of their way to be friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: 3 February 2017

Excellent place to say and great value for money.

Nothing. Everything was great.

Excellent hotel. Currently undergoing some refurbishment but this does not effect the guests. Very friendly and helpful staff.