Reviews of Maples House Hotel 3 stars

79-81 Iona Road, D9 Dublin, Ireland

#111 of 136 hotels in Dublin

The noise around the building and late night parties from this hotel. Room 27 was no more than a box room with a double bed in it. Far to small

Nice looking building and staff at reception were nice.

The bathroom left a little to be desired. It was cramped and not as clean as we would have hoped for, and the shower drains backed up a bit.

The staff at Maples House were super accommodating when noisy neighbors kept us up our first night there. They switched our room without question. They also helped us navigate public transit and got us an excellent early morning taxi ride to the airport. The dinner we had at the hotel restaurant was also surprisingly delicious and our server was lovely.

No sockets in the room but when we called thankfully we were moved to a different room. Originally our room was very small and could barely fit 3 ppl. Would only recommend it as a 2person room. Breakfast was nice we got a full Irish but there was very little selection at the buffet table which was disappointing. Management was also giving out to staff and everyone could hear.

Comfy beds

The room was 4x4 meters big with a double bed and a single bed+2x2 meters bathoom, showercabin was 70x70 cm big. Our window war 1,5 meter in front from the window of the personal from the hotel kitchen . There was no aircondition in our room, and the wetter was warm, so we needed to sleep both the nights with open window.On the first night (the 26.mai , Satutday) there was live music in the hotel-bar. In our room situated over the bar, we hear the music so loud, as we was into the bar until 2 AM. On the second evening our neighbors in front from our window was very loud from 10 PM and smoke cigarets on the open windows til 4 AM, so we cudn´t sleep and cudn´t breath, too. I made a short video from this night. Such an expensive (285 EUR for 2 nights for 3 persones without brekfast) and unpleasant hotel i havent seen til now. So, if you respect yourself: book never ever this hotel!

The receptionist was friendly.

The stairs were tricky to get a suitcase up and down; the sloping walls in my room made it a bit cramped for a tall person.

This is a very nice hotel and the breakfast was excellent. My room was an attic room and a little cramped but had a good bed.

It would be nice if they had a safety deposit box.

The location. Reasonable rate. Clean and comfortable. Beautiful breakfast room. Friendly helpful staff. Enough towels.

Way too small Room with dated furnishing and tiny Bathroom with a also tiny unconfortable Sowher. Bathroom had nasty mold on the sealing an in various corners. The Window opend up to a ventilation shaft. Not recommended!

The room was quite small and the bathroom wasn't very nice at all. The shower door was very hard to close. The water in the shower fluctuated between scorching hot and freezing cold. The toilet seat was loose and there was mould around the shower sealant. The bedroom itself was above the bar area and was really noisy quite late on the last night we stayed. There was a large stain on the curtain and the tv was the size of an ipad on the wall and only had 4 channels. Charming place in a beautiful area, but is sadly let down by very obvious and simple maintenence issues.

The food at this hotel was really nice and freshly cooked. The staff are very friendly and helpful where they can be. The service recieved and friendly atmosphere are very welcoming.

The staff were very friendly. However I was going to see Ed Sheeran with my 12 year old daughter. The staff didn’t have any information to help me get to the concert. There was a local train station around the corner that was going to ashtown. I was In a panic as the taxi never showed up and the member of staff on was not very helpful. She just said they’re very busy and didn’t try to get a different taxi. Luckily I flagged an old Dublin taxi man who was so friendly and he told me about the extra trains that were put on for the concert.

The hotel itself isn’t too far from the city centre at all get on the number 4 or number 9 bus by the gpo and get off at the stop hearts corner and the hotel is only down the road! The staff are very helpful and will book taxis etc for you. We had a meal in the restaurant and the food was so delicious could not fault it at all. The room itself was pretty small but had everything you needed and the beds were extremely comfortable.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Needed to bang door of bedroom when leaving, which felt like disturbing the neighbours.

The beds were comfy, parking outside on the street in view of our room. Staff very friendly and correct. We left for ferry before breakfast.

The room was an attic. It was hot, dirty, and uncomfortable. We stayed in a lot of places in Ireland that were really nice. But this place was horrible.

One staff tried to convince us that we exaggerate being cold and saying it's summer time. Well, we lived in Ireland and we know that you still have to use heating in summer, also now we are from Spain so we can feel even colder in Ireland. Walls are very thin- you can hear every little movement from the other rooms.

Staff very friendly. We needed a heater, iron, converter- they facilitated all. Food very good in the bar with a lovely lady serving us! Room was clean.

The straff helped me carry my sleeping kids from the car to bed, as i was travelling alone. Also they helped me retrieve a missing sheep (stuffed animal) after our stay. Great service and kind people!!! And the beer in the bar was excellent!

Reception was awesome. She even ran up to double check that the room was ready for my early check-in. It wasn't but soon was. The room was spotless. Reception was very helpful with directions. Wish I could have stayed longer.

Access card had to be renewed after failing on both rooms booked during the stay; tea/coffee was not renewed on two occasions; beds too short with wall/cupboard at each end so even no "overhang" option

24/7 access

Some of the rooms are refurbished, some are not. I stayed in a triple room non refurbished and i paid the same as my friends who stayed in a refurbished one - which i believe is not fair.

The host / manager is a very helpful and nice person trying to offer the best experience possible.

There was no elevator and sound isolation was poor (during my stay there was a loud birthday party) and my single room was a bit too small. Drumcondra trainstation is nearby, but on Sundays the train does not come often, even though the location is not far from city center.

Breakfast was good and personnel was friendly. Location is pretty good as well.

The first room I was given was obviously specifically for single travelers and was no more than a closet. To be fair, I asked the girl at reception if I could be moved and she did this. Unfortunately this room wasn’t much better. Room was terrible. Shower tray filled with water as it needs to be unclogged so couldn’t enjoy shower. Plug sockets falling off walls. Dirty carpets. Torn bedsheets. Very poor understanding of Coeliac disease in restaurant and very few options. At least allergens are on menu which is a plus I guess. When I did order the food that came out was awful. The duck was just a load of bone and skin with about a teaspoon worth of meat. I ended up ordering from a gluten free pizza place and eating in room. I obviously didn’t try breakfast as a result of night before. Having stayed here numerous times in 2014/2015 I was very disappointed. Standards have decreased significantly.

Location is excellent, WiFi is good and strong so was able to work. Staff are perfectly pleasant and nice.

The rooms need some maintenance work doing to them. Our light bulb was out but we rang reception and they were straight on it. There were other things like the shower cover wasn’t hung properly this didn’t boTher us as it still closed but I’m sure if we made them aware they would fix it.

The room was very clean and the staff where friendly. The food was really good too!

We came back after a night out and got to the hotel at 1 am and nobody was answering the door for about 25 minutes. Kept ringing the door bell and knocking but nobody came. In the end we got the night staff who was on duty after banging really really loudly, he said he was hoovering so couldn't hear us. Not great when your standing outside in the rain for 25 minutes waiting to come in the hotel. There should be a key system in place which allows guests into the hotel or porch at least out of the rain.

Loved the room, clean and tidy.

Everything. Rooms in need of major upgrades Too far to walk into city center. Smell of damp and musky

Nothing - the Roma are in need of major upgrades. Damp and smelly

The holder for the shower head isn't the correct one so had to hold the hose with my hand, really good pressure though!

only a short stay as was flying out from airport at 6am, but it was clean, and comfortable and relatively close to airport. used my own vehicle for transport, dont know what the transport link is like...

The room was a lot smaller than expected,surprisingly the bathroom was bigger than the bedroom. Really noisy as there is a bar/function room downstairs and every time guests went to their rooms you could hear floor boards creak, walls are very thin, rooms where two warm no way of controlling temperature.

The Staff were really friendly, clean hotel , cleaners changed bedding every day. Hotel only 5 minute walk from the bus station that takes you in to the centre which will take about 10 minutes. The staff arranged our taxi back to the airport which was very helpful

Quaint little hotel in a peaceful residential area. Their restaurant is super convenient for the weary travelelr and their Irish Stew is finger-lickin' good! Staff was very helpful too. Although in the map it seems far from Dublin center, it's just 2 km. away. By car it's no more than 5 minutes.

The public parking was so expensive. I misread the description of the hotel and thought there would be free parking. This was my own fault for reading wrong but it said parking on the hotel description so presumed it was free. Never presume. haha apart from that the room was quite small.

Staff were so so friendly. Bed was really comfy too. I was on the top floor on a Saturday night and could hear the music from downstairs. Its great if you like that 😊 I was going out so suited me perfectly.

The shower in my room was cold and took about 4 mins to get anyway warm when I tried to use it at 7:30pm and again in the morning at 10am. Apart from that the room was very good and clean

The place was clean, a taxi was arranged for me easily, check in was easy and there was free parking nearby

we had room 8,looking more like a corridor than a room, so the single beds were feet to feet and were just above kitchen/room with lots of noise, coming from a loud fan, a saturday night marriage with Kareoke until 1 o' clock, very loud, very loud noises of chairs and tables being moved around until 3 o'clock in the morning. To have wi-fi, i needed to walk down the corridor , pass a door to the staircase to finally have a connexion. all in all not an experience we would like to repeat

Noisy. Impossible to sleep. Party going on downstairs, followed by lots of noise and door banging in corridors. No obvious attempt by staff to try to control. Effectively no sleep possible until after 3am, and then had to be awake at 7. I won’t be back!

No heat in room on arrival. No bulb in light at dressing table - on requesting bulb to be put in, staff members said they were too busy at the moment and would do so later. I explained that I would require light immediately as I was preparing to go to a concert and this dressing table area was very dark. My partner offered to put in a bulb if staff would provide one. Staff member was then able to put a bulb in immediately (which took 2 minutes!)

Smell of kitchen as soon as you entered the front door. Carpet wasn't clean. Bathroom tiles dirty.Room was small.

Staff were very friendly and helpful

The weekend we stayed everything was overpriced. Prices should not increase so much according to the availability. You are getting the same service!

The hotel was awesome, a bit for far from the center (3km). The building was a bit old but charming. Due to the rugby match (6 nations), it was overpriced. The truth is that the whole city was overpriced that weekend. Nothing available in the city center for less than 600€ (3 people, 3 nights). We paid 400 euros for 3 people 3 nights and still needed to catch a taxi twice a day...

staff always making sure we had everything we needed. Also live music in the bar area allowed to stay up later with friends. Will definitely come back.l

Smaller room than expected, could be cleaner.

Small room but cozy with all the necessary amenities, not far away from the city center by foot, on the direct root of the Dublin Bus from the airport. Close is the best Indian restaurant ever. Great staff.

The room was expensive and extremely small, the shower wouldn't drain , they didn't have a buffet breakfast,(you had to ask for more coffee or butter for example) and the internet was very slow inside the rooms.

The staff was very helpfull and cheerful, the room was clean and the bed was very clean and comfortable.

The check in process was a joke. Even though I paid on booking.com when making the booking , I was asked to pay a second time uponn arrival for the full room amount, and told I would get the first payment to booking.com back in 3 days. Parking is only on the street, and so spent 15 minutes finding a parking place were I didnt have to pay. The twin room was tiny, felt like a cupboard, and the breakfast was the smallest irish cooked breakfast I have ever seen. Really didnt feel we got value for money!!

Staff were friendly

They could have a lift

Very short stay, just one night, but the hotel was lovely, clean spacious room, friendly supportive staff, residential area in a convenient location near public transportation, 40 minutes away from the airport, less than 30 minutes away from the city centre and very good value for money. I would stay there again.

The Room and Bathroom were freezing cold...Heating only put on when I told them room was freezing...Had the room booked for 2weeks....Don't think Heating was ever put on in that room..all I got from that trip was flu..Could not wait to get out of there...very disappointed it was -3 that night ... . .

Hotel very dated rooms are awful shower broken dirty cups manager has an awful attitude

Location not too bad about half hour walk into town an close to Croke Park

The smell from the kitchen is very strong and covers the ground and first floor. It’s 30 minutes walk from the city center, available bus stop around 500m nearby. The area is not very good for walking especially when gets dark.

Nice staff, clean room, the property has bar and restaurant. The breakfast was looking good though I had only coffee therefore i can’ say if it was delicious.

Bed was a bit short in length and side by side with one of the interior bedroom walls. Therefore I could not stretch my legs length ways or to my right. I am 5'8".

Everything was very lovely, the location, the security, the bathroom, the service, the staff were very warm, efficient, able to explain clearly about my travel queries to the city centre and obliging.

There wasn't anything we particularly didn't like. The room could of been warmer at times but as we we're hardly in this wasn't really a problem. The cleaner knocked and walked straight in one day which could of been embarrassing but no real issues.

Customer service was excellent, all staff were very friendly, polite and willing to help. Easy check in and out. Room/bed comfy.

Room was really small bed was extra short it was boxed in between 3 walls head, foot and 1 side. Head board was resting on bed so made it short. Kept waking up with my feet hitting of wall. Mo WiFi signal to room and no 4G signal. Room was just a narrow corridor with a bed shoved in. Suprised it meets standards for a hotel

Location is great downstairs look nice old but nice. Big shower in rooms

The airport booklet told us which stop to get off to get to the hotel which in my opinion is completely wrong. On our last night we had no sugar or milk in our room to make coffee. Every time we needed assistance at reception and even tho we rang the bell it took long for them to attend to us.

Very welcoming and friend. Nice rooms. Great comfort.

struggled with internet connection in the room, but works quite well in lobby and some areas.

very nice staff, and shower is amazing, strong pump force, loved it

Radiator not on, on arrival but room warm. Soap dispensers instead of a good soap and no body lotion as is expected for room price ( even if for higher Christmas price)

Very comfortable bed

having a doudle bed instead of three single beds and may be nowing about the music /act being on so we could have a choice in rooms, generally ok over all.

service and staff were help full and questions answered quickly

It was incredibly noisy with a big party going on right below our room that only finished at half past midnight. The room was a very tight squeeze. Photos for our triple room had shown 3 single beds but it was actually a double and a temporary single. Bathroom was so small you can't really move around and certainly can't change in there.

The beds were comfy and it was nice to have an ensuite bathroom. The staff were friendly and helpful.

The size of the room was quite small and there was no body wash to have a shower. Towels were on the grubby side. 1 egg in the morning cost me €4.95 !!!

The bed was comfy and the room was nice and warm.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

One tiny little thing - tv was not very big. Purpose of our stay wasn’t to sit and watch tele all day long but it wasn’t very big to watch from far away.

Staff were lovely, everything nicely decorated, food excellent

There were issues with the heating but the staff brought a heater that dolved the issue.

Staff was helpful and friendly. Bed was big for a single room. Clean.

On saturday night the ground floor bar routinely hosts parties. That means you'll have a hard time sleeping before 00:30 - 1:00. Apart from that, we had the fire alarm ringing around 5:00 in the morning - TWICE - and we got really frightened. We rushed to get dressed as fast as possible and get out the hotel, just to discover that it was a false alarm related to misusing a frying pan in the kitchen. That's simply not acceptable, no one cared to explain and really apologize for the incident, moreover the alarm ringed AGAIN a third time a few minutes later. When asked for explanations, the reception guy told us not to worry and that in case of a real fire he would have been runing around the hotel telling us to run away. I can't really agree on that, considering that a fire alarm is supposed to mean that you have to RUN AWAY and that it rang more than once in the heart of the night.

Very nice, little cozy hotel. Convenient pub located just under the rooms (ground floor). Nice staff. City Centre easily reached by bus (13 or 16), airport easily reached with Airport link bus service. Free WiFi.

My room was just fine but was in need of some resturation. My friends shower was broken, only burning hot water, but was fixed after the first day.

The staff was super friendly and helpfull. Hotel is in a nice quiet neighborhood and pretty close to down town area, about 10 min by bus, and the bus-stop is about 8 min walk from the hotel.

Far from centre, triple room had small double bed, some staff unhelpful, loud music until 1:30am each night, damp and mouldy bathrooms, etc etc

It was cheap but we should have paid more and gone somewhere else

The bedrooms were very small and could have been cleaner. I think they had too much furniture and the bathroom was no bigger than a caravan bathroom. The bed was very hard too.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. They were attentive and efficient. Breakfast was nice but simple. Evening meals were delicious.

The rooms are clean but a bit worn. Try not to stay in a room on the kitchen side of the building as the extractor fans are very noisy and likely to keep you awake. I stayed over a bank holiday so it wasn't possible to change rooms.

A budget hotel which for the price was of a good standard. I would recommend the Irish breakfast. The staff were friendly and very helpful. The hotel is easily reached from the airport via the 16 or 700- airport bus. It is then just a five minute walk to the hotel.

The cleanliness of the room, there was mound around the shower tray and cob webs around the ceiling vent/ window.

The staff were very friendly nothing was too much trouble.

In general the place was ok but the shower wasn’t hot enough. The room was small with old furniture.

It was an affordable accommodation in Dublin during the Dublin Marathon weekend. Most of the hotels in town were booked or very expensive. I knew I wasn’t going to a fancy hotel, and in the end the place met my expectations.

I`d have to take into account that we had selected a cheap room. The Karaoke in the bar below was a bit load even after we`d retired at midnight. The coffee in the morning was was undrinkable. Parking a real challenge

Value for money, location, pleasant staff.

The room was clean, but tiny. Barely enough room to access the bed from both sides. The shower worked, but the water was too hot & could not be turned colder. We only stayed briefly, so didn’t mention it to the crew. They probably could have done something about it.

The crew was very nice and helpful. The barfood was great!! And there was a live performance during our stay, which was very good! Bus stops not too far away& easy travel to city center

The room had a bit of an odd smell, like a cat had been there in the past, although I'm sensitive to smells and my family didn't even notice.

Maples House is quaint and comfortable with a lot of character and a very friendly staff. The neighborhood is a little ways from the center of activity, but I found that to be a benefit because it's very quiet at night. Very near a bus stop (Drumcondra Station) with multiple options straight to the airport.

No lift so difficult getting luggage up the stairs. Quite noisy in the morning - seemed to be lots of banging doors.

Clean comfortable cosy nicely decorated room, facilities as described. Friendly staff. Free Parking available near by. Check the heating before going to bed, on full blast and was too hot

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

This was at the end of 5 weeks travel. We were so pleased that the Maples house Hotel not only had it's own well stocked bar but also had a very well priced restaurant, with a two piece band who played 50-60's music which although not our cup of tea seemed to suit a large part of the clientele who enjoyed the chance to dance. We also enjoyed the breakfast the following morning.

The bathroom was a little on the smaller size but clean.

The location was quiet and cozy. Lots of lovely spots to eat around the area. Quick bus ride to get to the temple bar area. Overall good experience.

Room was a little small but adequate. There was only one plug socket plus the one for the TV so charging our phones after a long day was a little tricky.

The bar was really nice and relaxing to have a drink in after a long day walking around Dublin sightseeing. Staff were very friendly.

Distance from public transportation.

Employees were wonderful. Restaurant was outstanding. Room was adequate. Location from public transportation was about a mile away.

2 tea bags in pot if tea rather than 1 as I was a little weak

friendly, accomoadating and as I was a female along they made me feel safe and comfortable. excellent value for money and comfort

Wifi, old rooms, not enough sockets for plug access and towards the other side of the room. (Minor negative though)

Staff, location for my trip, value.

Bathroom sink was very tiny. Could hear easily through the walls, not great for sleeping.

Very nice neighbourhood. Friendly staff; had some items to use that I needed, saved me having to buy them. Pretty small room.

Parking facilities around the Hotel are Park n Display (7-24) with a max Parking Time of 3hrs. Only some Spots with free Parking available. Better use public Transportation (Drumcondra ~ 600m walking distance).

Nice Bar / Restaurant in the ground floor. 24hrs Reception Service. Friendly and helpful staff. Quiet Area so Good to Relax and start a Journey North (Howth) Next morning. WiFi was improved.

Too expensive for what you get. Tiny room for a couple, could only get into bed from the one side or from bottom of bed. Bathroom also very small, no space to dry self off - need to go into room. 1 night stay maximum.

Good location, clean, bed reasonably comfortable.

Very old fashioned hotel. No lift. Rooms small. Shower v small but good powerful jet. Worst thing for me was door seal wasn't flush so a lot of light came in through the door which isn't ideal if you like a dark room.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Great bar and food.

Some rooms are compact.

This is a well run hotel with friendly staff and a relaxed atmosphere. Great location for Croke Park and the Botanical Gardens.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

There was nothing I did not like.

The hospitality I received at this hotel was absolutely amazing. One and all members of this hotel were so accommodating. The chef was aware that I was a caoelic and when I ordered fish and jacket potatoes. I got fish without the batter and potatoes in their jackets eventhough these were not on the menu. This chef had remembered that I was a caoelic. Where else would you get this serice? I was able to get homemade gluetin free bread, turkey,ham,you name it they were able to make up a meal as required no trouble at anytime. Nothing was ever any trouble to the staff at this hotel. The rooms were lovely. Had plenty of lovely white towels. Location great. Catholic Church next door with daily morning mass. Monastery down the road where you can get evening mass with the Redemptoristeen Nuns so beautiful. Botanic most beautiful Gardens and Glasnevin famous Cemetry within walking distance as is the Bons Secure Hospital to mention but a few of the many attractions in Glasnevin. The Maples House Hotel is a gem in this area. Lovely relaxed homely feel here.Family owned and run in a most beautiful Edwardian red brick structure with lovely high corniced ceilings within in dining area, reception and bedrooms etc. To stay in and dine here and enjoy top quality food is definitely a must in this great location.

Rooms are dated and could do with new mattresses. Kitchen fumes terrible

Friendly, helpful staff Bar had decent menu and showed sports Quiet location