Reviews of The Merrion Hotel 5 stars

9.9

9.8

9.7

9.7

DI'd not realise chocolate and drinks in room were complimentary should have been marked or I felt they should have been

How helpful and friendly staff all were

Unfortunately it can get crowded. There was an official delegation which meant the breakfast room was too crowded to consider one morning.

Beautiful. Very friendly staff and a gorgeous setting in the heart of Dublin.

I’m from Dublin and took a little baby moon with my husband. Luxurious, world class facilities. Lovely central location. Friendly and accommodating staff. Amazing room service and great breakfast offer.

I can’t think of anything.

I love the welcome, comfort, accommodation, dining, surroundings and I think that the staff at The Merrion as a whole make a stay at the hotel like a home from home . The hotel is an oasis of calm and comfort. I wouldn’t stay anywhere else!!!!

Can't think of anything

The room was very spacious and cozy. All the staff was extremely friendly. They helped you with everything. Breakfast was amazing and dinner as well!!! The hotel is ideally located, close to shopping, pubs and nice restaurants.

The weather!

Just a top quality hotel, great location, well trained and managed staff, wonderful decor and exactly what you would expect from such a hotel

• Superior Room

A small bottle of milk in the refrigerator would be wonderful instead of the UHT pods!

The room was bright, airy and exceptionally comfortable. Complementary fruit, water and chocolates in the room on arrival. Nespresso machine was also a welcome feature!

Absolutely great location, fantastic staff who made our holiday a real treat. The food at the property was brilliant and compared to the surrounding spots quite reasonably priced.

My stay at The merrion hotel was perfect. The only thing I didn’t like was when I went to book into the hotel the hotel didn’t receive my booking from booking.com.

There was some plumbing noise from the room above but it didn't detract from our stay

The whole Merrion experience is fantastic, the staff absolutely make the place

They don’t like to cater towards tourists rather towards business travelers. It’s fine but you need to “dress up” to avoid bad looks and being placed in the corner of the restaurant.

Great hotel and excellent location in Dublin. Staff was generally very friendly with a helpful attitude.

The Merrion is a first class hotel with excellent service and great facilities. Rooms are very comfortable and well- equipped. There are many varied public areas in the hotel from the beautiful gardens to the afternoon tea sitting room and the lively Cellar Bar. There is also an excellent 2 star Michelin restaurant.

• Superior Room

All of the staff were very welcoming, warm and human. The room was very comfortable, spacious and beautifully decorated. One pleasant surprise was the quality of the Irish art on display.

The restaurant came as a bit of a surprise as it is elegant and yet the accountants seem to have got the better of the kitchen in terms of food quality. Something of an anomaly in a hotel which is otherwise pretty flawless.

We loved the deco, the room facilities and location. Also it had a nice large pool, and the overall ambience of the hotel was very pleasant — it is rare to come across such grandeur in Dublin. Excellent service too and well-priced. Hope to return.

Turndown service was excellent, extraordinary attention to detail. Afternoon tea was wonderful, the battenburg was a particular highlight and the service was professional, attentive and friendly. The room itself was faultless!

• Superior Room

The Merrion is like a home from home...with welcoming staff who create an atmosphere of friendliness and efficiency, nothing is too much trouble. We have been to the Merrion many times...Best Hotel in Dublin!!!

It's hard to find any fault to be honest.

The staff, food, gardens, room (especially the bed!) were all excellent. The location is superb right in the centre of Dublin. I would happily recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a bit of luxury!

It is expensive, ie. €29 per head for Breakfast. But probably to be expected of a 5 star hotel in a city centre location

Rooms, service, attention to detail & location all excellent.

• Superior Room

It was my birthday which I mentioned at check in but it went unmarked by the hotel. I think it would have been a simple nice gesture if it had been acknowledged in some small way.

Relaxed atmosphere and warm friendly staff.

• Deluxe King Room - Main House

The Patrick Gilbaud restaurant, supposedly the most famous restaurant in Ireland, that my family of 5 adult children were super excited to eat at, was closed for the season. We were very very disappointed. Then we wanted to have Afternoon Tea in the gorgeous living room there but it was booked up already. I thought since we were residents at the Hotel we could just sit down at an empty table - but not the case. I wish there were notifications of both the rest & tea bookings more prominently posted on Bookings website for The Merion.

Hated being told forcefully I could not stand at the bar, and To sit down in the cocktail lounge to be served, when a group of 5 at the bar had 3 standing the entire time. Hated ordering a roast beef sandwich and having almost NO roast beef in it ... paper thin slices half covering each slice of eye bread. A complete joke. Hated booking a room at a certain price on line, then having to haggle with the front desk about it for an hour before they (reluctantly) checked us in, AFTER we showed them a copy of the confirmation invoice and they STILL argued it. Other than that, our 4 night stay was fantastic. But you need to get these issues resolved. Being told to sit down in the cocktail lounge when others were allowed to stand, was an afront to our very nature and persona, not to mention discriminatory. To say we were insulted is putting it mildly. We are Semi high profile persons traveling from the states, and we were highly insensed. The snooty host and pretentious french bartender didn't help the situation. We were guests at the hotel, and appropriately dressed. I addressed the issue to the host, who tried to soften the severity, but ultimately didn't resolve the impression that had already been made.

Loved the attention to detail.

Breakfast was very busy and crowded and it’s not included so works out a very expensive extra

The room was beautiful, with a very comfortable bed and the chocolate treats in the room were lovely! The staff were very helpful, polite and friendly at all times

• Superior Room

The vibe of the hotel! It is beautiful and elegant but friendly and warm! Every detail is attended to.........We believe it may be our favorite Hotel of all time!

I was not prepared for the very bright lighting and lack of privacy in the newly designed breakfast room. It had a canteen feel to it and I did not feel comfortable. In fact I was glad when breakfast was over - despite the fact that the cuisine was varied and tasted very good. I expected much softer lighter with a cosier and more refined atmosphere. So that was disappointing .

The staff were excellent - the young gentleman from Columba who showed us to out rooms was extra special - he gets a full ten for being so friendly , efficient and professional.

I cannot think of a single thing that would have improved my stay if I am being really picky maybe fresh milk in the fridge but I know full well that had I of asked it would have been delivered. Absolutely perfect no negatives!!!!

Absolutely amazing, from the minute you walk in this hotel you feel as if you are being welcomed into a home, I really cannot fault it in any way. The most relaxing, elegant, luxurious hotel stay ever

On this occasion we did have a complaint and it was a plumbing issue which persisted throughout the entire night and only halted the next morning at 9.00. We never encountered anything like this before at the Merrion and we raised it with staff the next day. For anyone staying in room 212 I would advise that it is checked. Apart from that we are looking forward to our next visit.

We are frequent visitors to the Merrion over the years; when in Dublin it is our preferred hotel. It is in every sense a 5 star hotel and the service is excellent from the moment you pull up to the front of the hotel. It is quiet, sumptuous understated class and this is evident throughout your stay and is appreciated by its clientele. The new architectural improvements to the hotel sit perfectly with the existing building and at the same time enhance the sense of space and style. If you prefer understated elegance and don’t want to follow the herd then the Merrion is your destination.

2*Michelin Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud, should be a 3 Star. Sampled twice, Patrick, Stefan, Chef and staff as good as any 3* restaurant in Paris. Outstanding.

I was allocated a very poorly located room with a close up view of the gym across the road. This seems to be the case on many of the bookings I make through Bookings.Com

The hotel has a cosy feel and some wonderful bars and lounges.

Breakfast is in a very dark and claustrophobic basement which was a shame as the rest of the hotel is so light and pleasant

Beautiful rooms. Very helpful staff everywhere. Very well appointed rooms of a good size. Location very good in centre

Bed was so good we bought a set of them! Terrific Margeritas. Everyone was so friendly. What marvelous people! They also fixed the weather. No rain for the whole week!

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

• Superior Room

Cold wet August weather ( though hotel's log fires made up for it).

Unique hotel. Georgian buildings converted into a fascinating 5-star hotel with an excellent Michelin starred restaurant. All the staff greet you and respond instantly in a friendly way while rapidly providing services. World-class art collection on the walls - tour available.

Nothing, everything was great

Beautiful hotel, everything was perfect, loved the decor and the art work displayed through out the hotel was absolutely stunning. Lots of great restaurants close by. Easy walking distance to St. Stephen's Green and Grafton Street. Make sure to checkout the bar at the Shelbourne Hotel, perfect for pre-dinner drinks.

The construction was a little distracting...but they are close to finishing and I appreciated that they did not start early in the morning.

The Merrion is the perfect hotel to stay in when visiting Dublin. It is a great location and never fails to live up to our expectations. It feels like a home away from home. The service and the hotel itself are top notch.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

• Superior Room

The spa was a let down for us. Massages were booked and we arrived to the spa only to be brought back upstairs in lifts to treatment rooms. 1 masseuse got the booking wrong and finished after 55 mins instead of 85. Pool was cold and not very many other facilities. Again staff were lovely and it was only 2 hours out of our trip so it didn't really take from our overall experience.

Staff were amazing, so helpful, friendly and naturally lovely. Beds are huge and just the right level of firm and soft. Loads of pillows and throws also available in the rooms. Bathrobes and plush slippers provided. TV has free movies which is a definite bonus as we were on our minimoon and exhausted at times. Cellar Restaurant and Bar were really lovely, they give the feeling of being in France with ample choices for food and wine, something to suit every taste (even fussy eaters like me). Room Service is super fast and food was superb which in my opinion is a rateity for room service. This hotel is an absolute gem! The staff and service alone would be a reason for us to return.

Building right outside the room and was not told in advance Breakfast really small and not worth the money compared to other 5 star hotels Hoovers were left out in the corodoors all the time Not as good as many other 5 star hotels we have stayed in

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

The safety mat in the bath was not fit for purpose and did not adhere well to the bath It's slippage could have resulted in a nasty accident particular for an elderly or less reactive person. I recommend the hotel reviews these mats in its own interest as if they do not in fact serve their purpose and someone is injured getting in or out of the bath then a litigation lawyer could have a field day!

Very good service

My only complaint was the mattress. There was a dip on both sides and a raised area down the centre.

I really liked the whole experience. We had our wedding planned for the 1st May at the hotel but unfortunately had to cancel due to a family bereavement. We decided to spend some quality time at the Hotel to celebrate what should have been.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Building work going on currently so some noise and disruption but well managed.

Staff were excellent and the rooms were very nice. Fantastic breakfast.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

• Superior Room

Given the standard of this hotel, two small mistakes in the bathroom stood out amid all the comfort, luxury and elegance of the accommodation: the inspection panel above the bath taps had come loose from the wall and threatened anyone in the bath, and the non-slip bath mat was placed in the bath. It seemed to me that it was meant to be there, and so I filled the bath, to find that the mat floated ~ removed from the bath to the floor, it became a slippery hazard.

The extraordinary collection of modern Irish paintings throughout the hotel. They rival the contents of the two major Art Galleries of Dublin. The size and comfort of the public rooms made dalliance within them to appreciate the collection a real luxury.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

The fact that there is never available seating in lobby area to just sit and read. the seating is reserved for afternoon guests leaving nowhere for hotel guests who may not wish to have afternoon tea.Apart from lobby seating not available,the hotel is fantastic.

Love the beds in the merrionWe are repeat visitors and don't intend changing to any other hotel in dublin

Stylish. Wonderful extras in room at no extra charge: plenty of water, tea, coffee plus a wonderful confectionary as an Easter treat. Staff were a delight, especially young French barman who gave us a history of the Irish whiskies

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

Bar area is a little sedate and small. Feels like you have to speak in whispers!

Beautifully appointed comfortable room with lots of luxury in bathroom. Extremely clean and quiet.

held 1900 euro on my credit card had to phone the hotel 3 times to release the charge, took over 3 weeks to release

lovely hotel only 5 minutes walk from centre

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

Could not fault this hotel from arrival to departure we were treated like queens ! Every staff member we met wished my mum a happy birthday when I had noted on the reservation it was her 70th thank you for a wonderful stay

Leaving!

Overall setting and atmosphere is wonderful. The breakfast is fantastic -simple things, be it poached eggs or a glass of juice,they are all offered a lead role at the table. The true gem of the Merrion is the staff who genuinely seem proud to be ambassadors of this hotel. They are exceptional and could not have done enough for us. If available, this will be our 'go to' hotel when visiting Dublin.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

• Superior Room

I have no negatives. Even though it was expensive it was worth it

A true 5 star hotel. Made to feel special and a valued guest. The staff, room, facilities and spa were wonderful. I'd definitely visit again.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

• Superior Room

Check out at 12... but keys are automatically deactivated before 11:45 meaning we had to stand around to be let back in before we could check out. Uncomfortable feather pillows Leaks in the ceiling of the hallway (lots of rain this weekend)

Location is excellent, try the Unicorn restaurant and the Chinese/Thai less than 0.5km away for great food and even better entertainment! The hotel rooms were beautiful, bed was massive, staff were more than helpful - especially the door staff and porters, little touches like giving us an umbrella when we were going out in the rain...

• Reviewed: 3 February 2017

• Superior Room

Sadly the negative is quite a big one- there are extensive building and renovations to one quarter of the hotel going on- although they didn't disturb us greatly- had we known before hand this may have influenced our choice of "spa" hotel - and the spa pool is a constant 1.5m deep (no shallow area)

It was quite and private when we wanted to be- and were pampered at every turn when using the spa and facilities throughout the hotel and stay

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

For €300 the room I stayed in was very basic. I've stayed in cheaper hotels with room just as good and was about €200 cheaper. There was very little extra and I felt I did not get value for money.

Staff were pleasant.

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

The rooms were sealed and cooled with air conditioning so you had to listen to the AC I didn't sleep and ended opening the windows and replace AC noise with street noise.

• Reviewed: 12 January 2017

The free copy of the Irish Times which I requested on arrival was not delivered to my room the next morning. this is the first time I have experienced such an oversight in my many stays in the Merrion. i trust it was a one-off mistake.

Waited a good while for coffee(10-15 mins) and toast at breakfast after we ordered -not the most tasty omelette either,we ordered 2 simple cheese and ham and one mushroom,my friend got an anaemic egg white only omelette( not actually requested) had better.staff under pressure as new years day,but plenty of them around,just not assigned to look after clients from start to finish.

Lovely bed,nice rooms.overall a relaxing stay,we were bringing friends who we had raved about the hotel to,it was new years day and still busy.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

The Merrion is my favourite hotel. Especially because of the ground floor rooms - the 2 main lounge areas and the bar - have real open fires, which are constantly burning all year round. And this makes it less like staying in a hotel and more like relaxing in a beautiful home. The service is excellent. The staff are helpful, pleasant and polite in a quiet subtle way; they are 'there' - but not too obtrusively.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• Superior Room

The atmosphere in the hotel was wonderful. The staff were professional efficient and courteous. Despite being busy they made you feel that you were the only guest in the hotel.The room in the main house was lovely and had everything we needed for our stay in Dublin. This is my first stay at this hotel and won't be my last.

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

It was a pity all the nice tables by the fire were reserved for afternoon tea in the drawing room.

The service...from the moment you pull up in your car. Great attention to detail.

• Reviewed: 17 December 2016

I love this hotel so much that I will always stay there if possible. It is like an oasis in a desert. Wonderful staff, accommodation , food and location. Excellent in every way.

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

Bar food & drinks very expensive.

The beds were amazing. It is such a comfort hotel though it was very busy and it was hard to find seat to enjoy a drink. The had pastries and chocolates in the room as we were celebrating a birthday.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• Superior Room

Didn't like the fact the restaurant is downstairs with no windows . But lovely breakfast & excellent services

The bedrooms lovely . very comfortable beds Very Elegant & relaxing Hotel . Service excellent

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

• Superior Room

The hotel is under extensive expansion. The spectacular garden courtyard was covered in construction scaffolding. Very noisy. And we were not warned about the construction!

The Merrion is a world apart. We return regularly.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

• Superior Room

Everything was perfect at The Merrion. We Loved the decor--elegant and traditional, yet light, airy and uplifting. The rooms are quiet, spacious and comfortable. Even the soap was exceptional...I'm not exaggerating. The entire staff--reception, concierge, bartender & housekeeping were the best. The location is just right--a reasonable walk to Trinity College, St. Stephens Green, etc. with a number of very good restaurants, coffee shops & historic pubs right around the corner. We will be back.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

Excellent. A true 5 star hotel in all respects. I especially like the fact that the staff were very approachable and especially Julia from belarus who attended to my guests and myself at breakfast deserves a special mention

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

Best hotel in Dublin. Much better than the shelbourne hotel which i stayed in a few weeks earlier and would be considered a competitor. The staff are the friendliest ive come across, the man on the front door is an absolute gentleman. Im sure people go back to the hotel just because of him, very rare to come across such nice people who are passionate about what they do. Im a very fussy person but cant fault this hotel. Staff are amazing. Bed is unbelievably comfortable.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

• Superior Room

Would have like a green juice & FRESH carrot juice options for breakfast. Gluten free bread option would have also been good Everything else perfect

Staff were wonderful Room service -prompt & breakfast delicious! Cellar restaurant - amazzzzing fresh fresh fruit de Mer platter-yum! Concierge assisted with dinner reservations Bed & linens really good quality Spa treatment - excellent Looking forward to returning soon

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

Unfortunately my room was not ready until quite late. Although I was given complimentary tea and the staff were very apologetic, I needed to freshen up before an appointment and the room delay meant I was late.

The staff at The Merrion are always very welcoming and friendly

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

• Superior Room

The suite was lovely although poor views (car park and side alley) and much too hot. By the time we arrived, around 7pm, there was not enough time to make much difference with the air conditioning.

Very friendly and helpful staff and an upgrade on arrival to a suite. Easy walk from the hotel to Ely wine bar a few mins away.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

The rooms were overlooking back streets.

We were upgraded to a very spacious and nice junior suite. Very elegant interior and artwork. Classy room decoration. Impeccable staff and cleanliness. Renovation works were carried out but were hardly noticeable.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

• Superior Room

There was nothing that we did not like about our stay at the Merrion Hotel.

The atmosphere in the hotel made you feel very relaxed. The Georgian style throughout the hotel made it different to all other hotels. The restaurants and bars are of a high standard. The rooms are very tastefully decorated, large, very comfortable and spotlessly clean. Staff are very polite, welcoming and friendly, only too willing to assist you. My husband and I thourghly enjoyed our stay and would certainly stay at the Merrion again.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

Building work ongoing in the garden area, not a big deal but probably better to go for main building and avoid any issue.

The low key and relaxed ambiance for such a "smart" hotel. Very relaxing. Good location walking distance to all key points in the center. Short taxi run to Guinness. Try an open carriage ride, great fun. Room was very comfortable, great bed, had to climb in to it but not to soft, and very clean. Spotless room. Great breakfast though we never had the capacity to do the full Irish. The Cellar restaurant below the hotel also very good. We had room in the main building overlooking the main street. No need to be concerned about street noise, well insulated windows with additional double glazing.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

I can't think of anything.

The staff were all friendly polite and efficient. The food and wine in the Cellar restaurant were very good. The staff in the spa, where I had a massage each day, were exceptional.The rooms are comfortable and a good size. The public areas are very fine. If I wasn't trying very hard to lose weight I would not have been able to resist the spectacular afternoon tea in the lounge.The car valet parking was very efficient. A nice touch was we checked out around noon but didn't plan to leave for the airport until 4.30, the receptionist arranged for our bags to be put in our car and the car was brought out front at 4.30 without us even asking.

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

We didn't spend enough time enjoying the facilities....next time I would spend more time in the hotel.

They made us feel special and nothing was a trouble.

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

We were tucked away in the back of the hotel; I had asked for a room closer in since I am handicapped from polio but when we checked in at 4:15 they said the room wasn't ready. So, if I had not had a mobility scooter with me, I could never have walked that far once or twice a day. They knew this from the time I registered, but I think people do not understand what not being able to walk a block or so means. It worked out OK but the hotel is kind of outdated and the room furnishings could have been more cheerful. I think they are trading on their established name a bit too much. We thought the Westin was much nicer (just no pool to work out in). The high tea was over the top; too many sweets! I guess some people would think that was a good thing.

It's a nice old hotel. Kind of rambling with a garden in the middle, and the staff was helpful.

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

No negatives to report at all.

This is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in and we travel a lot. The hotel was beautiful, the service was impeccable. The location was great. Overall an excellent hotel!

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

The area used for breakfast is not a very inviting area No windows and in a basement Alternative needed to this

Rooms Lobby food Concierge Location

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

We could never get a table during the afternoons for afternoon tea . Paying guests and no tables for afternoon teas. We should have been told to reserve one earlier.

The staff and service was incredible . Wonderful friendly helpful people. The rooms and gardens are absolutely gorgeous .

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

• Deluxe King Room - Main House

The perfectly located attractive hotel has a great little bar with exceptional bartenders and good food too. The doorman is exceptional...helpful and personable. The tea room is beautiful but on the several occasions when we tried to enjoy the room, there were "reserved" signs on all the many empty tables. We were never given a tour and in a five day stay, we never knew there was a spa, pool, or a second restaurant. The concierge was useless, unless you knew what you wanted. We always felt we were bothering the staff by walking into the hotel. We will be back to the area, but will try a different hotel.