Reviews of The Parkview Hotel 3 stars

Main Street,, A63 FX72 Newtown Mount Kennedy, Ireland

#2 of 3 hotels in Newtown Mount Kennedy

Stained carpets and the bed was broken. It was replaced when we spoke to reception. I believe they are in the process of refurbishing. More care could be taken with the eggs at breakfast. Frazzled would be a good description.

Murat was lovely and helpful in the restaurant. Paige was great a check out.

We ordered room service for dinner and the food was very average. They charged is 6 euros just for tray service.

Very spacious room and we could borrow baby cot for free. Excellent value for money.

Staff were rude we got room service and asked for extra sauce which we were charged 3.50 for an extra sauce and didn’t get when we rang to ask about it they were very rude eventually they brought us another one but not before we had to have a argument about very small issue and I’d never complain but staff were so rude

Nothing to dislike

Everything particularly the very varied Menu and attentive staff. Samantha Hunt at the Check in desk was particularly helpful and attentive. I plan on returning ti this property in 2 weeks time and then perhaps many more times.

Unfortunately had a dog constantly barking across the road! But hey not hotels fault!

Lovely place, excellent staff, room's and food, Sirloin steak was superb! Would definitely recommend but ask for room at rear!

The shower head fell in my face when I was trying to regulate it, they left our fresh towels and extra toilet paper outside our door on the floor, as we had the “do not disturb” sign out and were not in the room all day, there was no fresh air in the room at all and it was so hot especially early in the morning, tv only had 5(?) channels - it is not necessarily a bad thing but a tad weird..

The double room was reallly big, had lots of space and a nice sized bathtub - amazing. There was a minibar type of fridge and it wasn’t stuffed with tiny expensive things to buy, so we could use it to store things we liked. Good sized tv, large bed, clean. Tea and coffe was in the room as well, even sugar and milk - it was a nice touch.

• Superior King Room

We waited for 40 minutes in the bar while trying to get food order in but to no avail. Left to go to appointment hungry.

Staff at reception and bar were excellent.

• Family Room

Like most lodging in Ireland, no conditioned air and temperature during our stay was warm.

Location to Wicklow and Military Road. Breakfast was included and very well prepared.

• Superior King Room

We stayed in a superior room and it was fantastic 😊 The staff were so helpful if we needed anything or had any questions, by far one of the best hotels we have stayed in 😊

The checkout staff weren't very friendly

The staff were lovely. We arrived late to breakfast both mornings & there was no hassle rushing us out. They just cleaned up around us and didn't make us feel uncomfortable

We got the honeymoon sweath room 103 which was out of this world top class hotel and our 2nd visit there and will be back for the 3rd time in the near future

Extra papers in the morning. One person held on to two papers.

The breakfast was good. When to brown both sides of bacon, was requested this was done ...no problem. Bar and meal service was good/

No biscuits, conditioner or moisturiser in room.

Close to Wicklow hills, comfortable beds and quiet room, nice small park, cafe and supermarket next door. Hotel was easy to access on the bus from Dublin.

• Superior King Room

Stayed in the honeymoon suite and the bed was so uncomfortable. Big hard pillows and a really soft bed, I woke up from the few short hours sleep I got in pain. Left the hotel feeling shattered tired, main reason for staying was to get a restful break!

Staff were very nice, room was a good size.

Nothing I didn't like!

This is the second time that I have stayed at Parkview. The staff are very friendly, and the rooms are clean and comfortable. The restuarant provides a reasonable menu of well prepared food. On site and largely covered parking is useful too. I was walking in the nearby Wicklow mountains, and this is a very convenient base. Right next door is Dunnes stores, very handy for assembling a picnic for days out :o)

• Superior King Room

The reception staff were very unprofessional. On check in I was passed around 3 different staff and also given wrong information regarding food service (which resulted in us missing an evening meal) On check out, I asked a member of reception about local sights and she started to give me information but abruptly stopped when another customer arrived at the counter. It was as if she did not care for us as she had already received payment for our stay. I work in hotels so don’t like doing bad reviews but customer service is paramount to customers returning to your hotel. The reception staff were the only down fall to our stay!

I liked the comfort of the room. This hotel was fantastic value for money. The food in the bar was great. The staff in the bar were very attentive and very professional. There were 2 men in particular that had a very high standard of service. I believe they were both managers as they were in suits. These men need to do some training with the reception staff and teach them some customer service. All in all, I would return again to this hotel.

The price of the breakfast, we ate at a local cafe.

Hotel was good, we had stayed here before and liked it. Though we tend not to spend too much time in the hotel, but what we did see was good. We didn't take the breakfast as at €15 a head it was quite pricey. The food in the bar was good and overall the hotel meets expectations. Happy to recommend as a base to explore the area.

TV control did not work and the TV reception was very poor. Water in the shower was very hot, there was a safety switch on it but it didn't seem to work.

Staff were very friendly and efficient. Room was clean and comfortable. Food served in the bar was really nice and well priced. The bar itself was lovely . Breakfast was also lovely with a good choice of hot and cold food.

The shower was useless. The bed was uncomfortable. The room was so noisey. There was a wedding on and it sounded as if the band were literally outside the window.

It was clean and OK for price. The heat could be easily controlled.

The rooms were a small bit dated and need a refresh.

Lovely quiet hotel out of the way just off the motorway. Loads of secure parking, very friendly staff, quiet room and the bar/restaurant was an easy place to unwind in.

Two things that would really add to the experience are to do with the bed & TV channels. Whilst the bed was very comfortable, it was the thing I hate the most, two single beds put together. When you are a couple it is the thing you hate to see, trying to sleep close together is always uncomfortable in these beds and they are now prevalent everywhere. The TV channels were very poor, in fact worse I have encountered in a hotel in Ireland. The list in the hotel guide was not the same as the TV channels on the TV, the TV had a loop of 6 or 7 channels only and I couldn't get basic channels, a lot of blank channels. Had to watch Liverpool V Roma in the bar because the bedroom TV did not have TV3???? Might seem trivial but I like my TV and I like to relax in my room watching it, helps pass the time.

I enjoyed the peace & quiet, the staff were friendly and approachable, especially the staff in the bar & restaurant. The food is wonderful, compliments to the chefs on this. A good menu served well and very reasonable pricing. The bedroom was well equipped and larger than the normal room. It had tea & coffee facilities, safe and iron & ironing board, which were a bonus. good parking facilities and FREE. Overall a good 3 star hotel, the food and staff are 4 star and if this hotel had a pool and gym it would be a 4 star hotel. Well done to all for maintaining great standards.

The place has been let go downhill in the two years since I was there. Carpets are in bits in the halls outside rooms. Room had one bedside lamp, holes in walls, broken toilet roll holder, grubby chair and in need of a good paint. Lovely hotel that’s in desperate need of a good maintenance team to keep on top of things.

Food was great and most staff where really nice

There was a terrible smell of vomit when we arrived. It was really disgusting. The hotel was also very warm. There was no breakfast included in our price, and if we wanted to add breakfast it was an extra €15 per person per night (which seemed v expensive).

Great price for two nights. Room was nice and big and had decent wifi. Ladies working at reception were lovely and very accommodating.

It look a bit to figure out where we were supposed to park as the parking is through a small entrance way between the hotel and other buildings. The plumbing was quite loud.

Nice looking hotel beside a small mall. Rooms were spacious and clean/bright. Breakfast was very good with a cooked to order menu as well as a buffet.

Cathode Ray TV, hadn't seen seen one in more than 10 years!! Very limited facilities for price. Breakfast quite limited relative to other recent venues which has better facilities and were cheaper

Room spacious and quiet

Loud clanging noise from 5-8am and was only specific to my room as other guests didn’t hear it. Was charged twice fir breakfast. When I arranged for refund I advised reception of loud noise - would have expected free breakfast to compensate!

Comfortable rooms

• Family Room

It is 3 star only but in some places decor & furniture is a bit shabby

Easy access from N11 , if coming from Wexford, Wicklow or Dublin Huge family room - equipped with safe, kettle, fridge , iron , ironing board etc. Lovely helpful staff Nice outside areas

Noticed a few cobwebs over the beds in artificial light that we hadn't seen in day light - other than that - very clean!

Staff very nice. Hotel dated but pleasant, welcoming and perfect for our night away! It was my 2nd time to stay here and I'll be back!

I did not like when i first rang the hotel to make the booking the rate had gone from 102 euro to 169 in the space of a few hours we were attending a wedding in Druids Glynn so it was ovious that once your hotel realised there would be more bookings you put up your prices and when i asked about this i was told it was at the managers discretion and was told basically take it or leave it so i booked on line and got it for 145

Did not have breakfast room was comfy nice and clean

When it said Parkview I didn’t expect it to be. Car park view. Website says between mountains and the coast and there wasn’t a whiff of either although technically that is its exact location!

• Superior King Room

The hotel looked like it needs an overhaul. I booked a larger room with jacuzzi bath. The carpet was stained with what could have been dried blood. The jacuzzi wasn't working. I left my email address with the hotel and am still waiting to hear from the manager.

Bed was comfortable.

The decor. The reception felt cluttered and old fashioned. The lobby was a bit grubby and doors held open by vaccum cleaner head. The rooms were ok. Probably looked a bit better online but it was cheap enough overall. It is just a small bit tired looking. The heavy doors in the halls make it feel like a chore getting in and out

Good location but just give this a bit more TLC and you could have a really good hotel guys

getting out of bed to go home

its very good value indeed,, lovely staff and the village has everything,, bus to anywhere ans the mountains and river on your doorstep

Toilet in room would not flush. No fridge got told you have to request a fridge. No telephone. Bath water was yellow when i told reception staff got told thats the colour of water in wicklow. The housekeeping manager said this was untrue. They moved us to another room and gave us a free meal which i was so greatful for. I love hotel and would not like these things to be improved. Also carpets in rooms and landing are very dirty.

Restraunt lovely staff helpful

Tea bags and a biscuit

I found hotel hard to find but I don’t know the area. Hotel was lovely room brilliant and staff lovely very helpful. Would have liked a few more teabags and a biscuit fir the tea. Overall very pleased and we will be back

It is not 4 star standard. Maybe three star. The place design is poor. Does not give Guest a feeling of hotel...in stead of it give me a feeling of big hostel.

WiFi is the fastest I have seen in all the ireland hotel I have ever stayed. Ps I stayed at 50 hotel in Ireland for the past year

Hygiene - we found an empty wine bottle under the mattress, the hot water was brown and the toilet had no been cleaned.

The location was good and we got it at a discount

It was so HOT...the room was too warm and the heat wasn’t on and the shower was so hot we couldn’t stand under it!!

The staff was lovely and very helpful

I didn’t want to fault this hotel but it has let itself down just a little.. My intention for the stay over was for a airtricity league game. As the match was a 7:45 kickoff I didn’t get back to the hotel until 10pm and decided to take it handy and relax in the bath after a quite long day traveling. Only to find the water was yellow in colour and the water was not hot as I would of preferred. But after sometime I noticed a notice near the bathroom sink that said to make water hotter press on the red button on the temperature gauge but as I looked for the button it was there, so was thinking it must have previously broken off from previous guests. Please note that the red button is for safety reasons. After these little problems I would come back.

The staff are very friendly, the room I stayed in which I wasn’t expecting the actual size of it (huge room with large bathroom)was very cosy room, the food was very nice can not fault it at all. Breakfast came out sizzling on the plate. The bar is an interesting piece of the hotel as you are higher than the bar, as you sit down it acts as a normal very long table was a nice experience.

The second morning I asked for "Scrambled Eggs & Mushrooms" and my wife asked for "Poached Eggs and Mushrooms" they were both cooked perfectly and were lovely and fresh. All the staff day and night were so helpful and friendly.

• Superior King Room

Lack of sleep on first night as function went on until after 2am and we were awoken by unruly guests at 5am. Night porter did not answer phone/deal with situation although when we reported the matter to reception they did not charge us for that night.

Suoerior room was extremely spacious with all the required facilities including extra large bed, sofa, table & chairs, trouser press, iron & ironing board & fridge. Bathroom had his & her sinks and jacuzzi bath.

The breakfast was good but I felt everything was deep fried and served (aka oil on everything)

The food was very good, it was extremely busy on Friday but parking was not an issue. It is situated in the middle of town. The room we had was huge! I would stay again!!

Only negative thing we had to say about stay was that the beds were quite hard which is completely a matter of personal preference and I am sure alot of people would prefer this.

Rooms were spacious, Exceptionally presented, as was the entire property. Staff were helpful and very accommodating from the booking stage, I had to cancel last minute in Feb and they organised me to be able to rebook another time. We stayed Sunday night and bar was lovely- food was delicious, although out of pizza dough which bothered other half😂 (I'm sure this was down to the weather #stormemma)

The toilet was positioned way too high - which may be a disability requirement but I have arthritis and a sore back so this was most uncomfortable. The toilet paper flew off the holder every single time as it's positioned the wrong way round. Otherwise everything was really lovely.

The staff were very friendly. The hotel is modern and well designed. I had a very pleasant stay. Thank you.

We stayed at the hotel 2 days. What I loved the most is the restaurant. Im a chef myself and i say... Great food! The bed was comfy and the room was very clean. We will come back.

The beds and pillows were very hard so couldn’t sleep very well. Can hear the music loudly when staying on level 1 from the large entertainment room when have parties

Lovely staff and good location for site seeing

Very noisy guests coming in very late and making a lot of noise in the corridors for a substantial time. You could still hear shouting even when they had got into their room.

Excellent breakfasts and great bar food. The staff were brilliant.

TV wasn’t working properly but it was an hotel-wide issue and staff were aware and were waiting on their provider to come to fix it. A lot of noise came from the plumbing upon use of the sink taps.

No wifi throughout hotel. Tv channels limited in bedroom. Not even rte1. No entertainment throughout weekend stay. Bar service not very efficient. Hard to get waiters attention. No air conditioning. No window in room. Only patio door for ventilation.

The bar food was very good.

Lack of plug sockets in the room, especially beside the beds. Lack of options for the breakfast. No Vegan/Vegetarian option, although the staff were helpful enough to make one up for us.

Staff were excellent, very friendly and polite. Beds were very comfy. Wifi was good and there was plenty of tea and coffee and plenty of hygiene products.

Parking was so hard to find even in the car park for the hotel very small car park. The telly in the room could do with more channels the only good one on it had no sound!

Bed was lovely and clean the carpet was lovely new soft in d room bathroom was spotless shower was lovely

not having a fridge, but il live

big rooms, comfy bed,,,shower is in the bath and very good,,,,there was no fridge but thats ok,,,food is lovely and anything you want for breekie,,,,give it a try

• Superior King Room

Bed was uncomfortable. Jacuzzi tub wasn’t working and bath water was brown. Tv didn’t work very well. Room doors are heavy and slam shut naturally with no noise dampening. Difficult to sleep hearing doors slam throughout the night.

Very big room

All good

Great location close to road networks to Dublin and County Wicklow. Lovely hotel clean with nice decor staff very friendly willing to help with anything. Great breakfast to start day and good selection of alcohol. Safe secure car park.

The Carpet had several bad stains on it which tended to drag down the appearance of the room. The television was not working properly there were only about four channels available. The safe stopped working, the toilet stopped flushing and the bedside light stopped working. However the hotel staff were quick to rectify these faults with the exception of the television which remained faulty for duration of our stay.

The Staff were very friendly and helpful.The room was a good size and the bed was comfortable and clean.

Hotel was beautiful and clean.. staff where lovely.. food was amazing and reasonably priced! Nothing really else to do onntbe town.. Perfect for just relaxing

The dinner was not good. My husband got the beef and it was awful, very thin and grey looking, also the vegetables were from the freezer overcooked and tasteless. I pointed this out to the girl and she did nothing. My veg stir fry had the same frozen veg in it and the green beans were stringy. I would not eat dinner here again. Attention to detail at breakfast could have been better, although it was a great breakfast I had to bring an empty jug to reception to get orange juice and the bread left out for toasting was rock hard I had to dig through to get fresh slices. I couldn't find the desert spoons for my fruit and I asked the girl who was slightly rude to me pointing at the spoons and saying eh there they are instead of getting me one. We won't be staying here again.

The best breakfast we've ever had from any hotel. Im vegetarian and don't eat eggs, the chef chipped some potatoes with fried mushrooms and tomato for me, it was fresh hot and tasty. The coffee was hot and nice . The rooms are very spacious and comfortable. We were very happy with the room.

• Superior King Room

I could not fault this hotel. The room was fabulous. The food was delicious. The staff were so friendly and helpful.I would highly recommend this hotel. One of the nicest hotels I've stayed in a long time. I will definitely be back

• Superior King Room

While checking in,receptionist wasnt very helpful or professional, didnt awknowledge my partner in any manner. We had a jaccuzi bath that didnt work,also shower didnt work properly.

Spacious bedroom, evening meal was fantastic and delicious.barman/waiter was very friendly and helpful

Problem with the tv ! Reported it and issue wasn’t resolved!! Carpet was filthy! And no telephone in bedroom!!

THE staff at reception where’s extremly friendly. The room was very spacious! There was an issue with the tv that night and a member of staff canebrake up- couldn’t fix and said he’d send someone.. no one came... having said that.. when I said it the next morning the lady at reception was extremely apologetic and helped ease the experience!

if pushed,, the shower could be better,, but im not complaining

lovely big room,, comfy bed,, cold fridge,,, could open window and had rads which is better then noisey air con...and nice an quiet,,very friendly staff

The location is a little out of the way for someone without a car but as someone who drives it’s a great location to the likes of Glendalough

The room size was great, the bed was great, comfy and clean!

Breakfast choices are limited - when I stay for more than one night I dont want the same again and again. The bacon was good quality but dried up and looked like it had been in the oven too long, poached eggs got harder each day too. Red hot plates are not necessary!

Cleaning staff discussing there personal relationships in hall way , there are some things a man does not need to hear 🤐

Rooms very spacious and bright

For safety, I feel that there should be slip maths in the bathroom. The baths are slippy as the non slip in the baths have worn down there is no grip.

The room was very comfortable and cosy. Very clean. Staff very friendly, and helpful.f

Have stayed at the Parkview a number of times and each time the hotel seems to become more worn and grubby. Some investment in refurbishment would benefit the hotel

Large rooms give value for money

The TV power light was so bright it was difficult to get to sleep!

The rooms where large, clean and comfortable. The food was also excelle t in the Bar!

Phone wasn't answered twice when I rang with query.

Attentive staff.. great food..spacious room.. Good atmosphere. Good location for getting to South Dublin or Glendalough.

Hotel common areas look v grubby. Breakfast was poor. Forgot to bring our tea and coffee to table. V slow to bring our hot food also and when it did come we were one breakfast short.

Nice size room. V clean.

• Superior King Room

Despite the weather contributed in no small way to a happy stay in this locality.

Everything at this hotel was very pleasing,it was lovely to be received at a location that made you feel very welcome at reception,a lovely room looking out over a small area of water and green park,convenient enough to travel into Dublin city visitor areas and similar areas in the garden of Ireland i.e.Wicklow and what a lovely place to spoil oneself indulging in the tasty treats at Fishers of Newtown Mount Kennedy.Breakfast was prepared fresh on all three mornings of stay and were excellent as were other evening meals with comprehensive menus available,will look forward to return at sometime in the near future,in fact now prefer to stay here rather than returning to outer or inner city hotels for the very reasonable rates at this friendly hotel,evidence of its popularity was shown in numbers eating at evening time. Benjy23

The walkway from the carpark is a little creepy in the dark..

I am gluten and dairy free for medical reasons but I couldn't see any options for either of these on the menus?

Wifi is always cutting out - very frustrating when trying to work. Tv channels very limited. Bathroom quite outdated.

Rooms are spacious and comfortable.

the left side of the bed was lumpy ( thank god I sleep on the right!!!!) the nespresso machine would only work wirh expesso pods! and the toilet roll holder was hanging off so the loo roll kept falling off and rolling away !

The Hotel staff were lovely especially the bar staff, The food was great and the bedroom was spacious

receptionist was very rude and unfriendly on check in , Wifi did not work AT ALL in the room we stayed in on 2 iphones or ipad and due to location of hotel no 4G, tv reception crackly and fuzzy ( its 2017 come on !) Red wine/ blood stain on curtain, stains on carpet in room, black stains all over carpets in halls, no room service breakfast menu in room, rang down at 9pm was told it should be on back of door, receptionist said she would get one brought up, no sign of it by 10.30pm had to go down myself, was told pencil in room to fill it out, went back to room, no pencil, had to go back down. Food finished in bar at 9pm on a Saturday night, should serve until at least 10pm Were not even asked if we enjoyed our stay upon check out, receptionist really didn't seem to care

property was a complete let down

tea at breakfast, and coffee cold. Staff were happy to get replacement drinks.

Staff in general very helpful, good atmosphere, Room good, a little too warm.