Reviews of Portmarnock Hotel & Golf Links 4 stars

Strand Road, D13 Portmarnock, Ireland

#2 of 3 hotels in Portmarnock

We ended our trip to Ireland with 2 nights at Portmarnock, and it was beautiful. The resort location on the water is spectacular. The staff from when we arrived until when we left early departure (5 am), were kind and accommodating. The golf course was challenging, and well maintained.

No outdoor seating, bar was old fashioned and had a bad smell, my sister and I asked if we could take our drink to the lobby and we were told yes, but after sitting 10 mins we were asked to move as "we dont allow drinking in the lobby" which is very strange as afterwards i noticed a lobby menu on the table that sold liqueur coffees?! Our room 229 was quite noisy with a rubbling sound on and off throughout the night.

Nice location on seafront and check in staff Anthony was very good.Good breakfast in a bright and airy room.

• Deluxe Double Room with Golf View

Pretentious wait staff for dinner.

The food was fine but not exceptional. The staff overall were nice but some of the lead waitstaff were somewhat pretentious. It's a very nice hotel and I would definitely stay there again. I didn't get a chance to play a round of golf, but the course looks great.

I couldn't actually make a recommendation fo change anything

I was pleasantly surprised with the hotel....fantastic overnight stay. The Hotel was gorgeous, so clean and inviting, a lovely atmosphere. Staff were so friendly and professional, look forward to returning!

• Double Room with Sea View

There is no facility to have a drink / coffee after midnight even for residents , room service is not much good if there is a number of colleagues together .

The Hotel is in a lovely location close to Malahide and on the Portmarnock sea front Lovely walks, not far from Howth and Dublin City. Golf for those who are interested.

Very small hot bedroom with no air conditioning poor value at over £200 per night.Wedding in the hotel that night and door banging was incessant.

location worked for us.

Very hard lumpy pillows. No choice of pillows at reception. So no sleep! Could have been simply resolved. No air con Bathroom shower drain blocked. Evening reception desk unhelpful and disinterested in any query.

Coastal location. Relaxed atmosphere.

As soon as we showed up, my new fiance and I felt the warm welcome from the staff. They had been gracious enough to accommodate a congratulatory bottle of champagne for she and I, as well as, a lovely card. Our seaview room was spectacular, and I will definitely be staying here again with my travels to Dublin.

• Double Room with Sea View

Absolutely no response till we were leaving about the room which if you looked at the carpet you would have walked straight out,simple to fix but loads of excuses 216. Didn't get into room till 3.30 .

The view and location

The check out receptionist was not professional, we had to wait that he did finish a phone call with his tech support, he discussed a hotel system issue in front of us as costumer, he did not show any sign of recognition for us waiting, he couldn't remember a costumer face although we did show up 3 times in around 30 minutes. Not great for an ambitious 4 star hotel. The facility is not easy accessible for a wheel chair or with a baby buggy as you need hotel stuff for the special tiny lift. The atmosphere was posh, but not in a good way. There is not a direct access to the beach although it must be one of the nicest Irish beaches, but we did not see it. A pity as the hotel itself could be splendid as it has so much potential.

Very nice, spacious and luxurious rooms, very good food in the bar, very friendly waiter in the bar restaurant, friendly and supportive lady on the reception to check in, great view to the coastline and the golf course from our room.

• Deluxe Garden View

Room 331, This room should never be let for the rate they charge. You are sharing terrace with strangers and no warning about about. Staff tend to ignore any feedback and tend to blame each other. Very unprofessional from of office manager

Great facilities and beautyful hotel, provided you don't get room 331.

• Deluxe Garden View

While staff on reception and concierge were very friendly and welcoming, the restaurant staff in the 1780 were lacking the same level of attentiveness and came across rude at times. The food was very tasty and beautifully presented, although portions a little on the small size, and came with no veg other than baby potatoes, and no option on our menu for ordering additional sides. We had a family member who's vegan and was told the starter was vegan friendly. Turned out it wasn't, which was only realized after he received it and double checked with another member of wait staff. We had communicated with the staff months in advance of the booking (it was a family dinner the day after our wedding) that we had a couple of vegan guests, and had been assured this to be considered in advance of our booking. We had breakfast delivered to our room the next day, and was surprised to find there's no vegetarian option on the order form. The toast was barely done, more like warm bread, and run of the mill sliced wholemeal bread. For a four star hotel I'd expected a slightly higher standard of food, especially when you're paying around £30 for two breakfasts.

The room we stayed in was immaculate, and came with a big balcony. We were only staying one night, so didn't get to use it. The complimentary toiletries were lovely, and of high quality. Bed was very comfy. Staff on reception and concierge were very friendly and welcoming.

A bit over-priced, breakfast crowded and ‘average’, service at breakfast could have been better.

Close and convenient to the Portmarnock golf course. New-built, modern amenities, nice pub-like bar. Views of beach/sea.

Average breakfast. The restaurant and Jameson's bar was down a few steps to an older part of the hotel which was more traditional in appearance. We asked at Reception upon arrival if we needed to book Jameson's Bar, as the hotel was very busy, we were told no. We went down around 5:00 pm to find tables with reserve cards on them, we managed to get a very "wobbly table" which in our oponion could have quite easily been fixed, not 4 star quality. Food was ok, staff very pleasant and helpful, throughout the hotel.

It was the cheapest room, lovely fresh clean modern room if you don't mind no view. The lobby area and cocktail bar were lovely with plenty of comfy seating decor was well maintained and modern here also.

We ate in the bar on our first night and the food was not great. our starter of wings was cold and our main courses (chicken burger and buttermilk chicken) were not nice. both of us felt that the chicken was overpowering with herbs and spices to the extent were we could finish either of our dishes. both chicken dishes tasted the same even though one was meant to be "buttermilk chicken" and the other was an "American style chicken burger". we also had a set of fried each. mine was fine but the other portion was soggy as if water was spilled over them and were not ateable or tasty at all.

access to beach, location and modern yet elegant décor. friendly staff, clean rooms. fab hotel.

• Deluxe Double Room with Golf View

The only disappointment I had was the bed, having a poor back and a very expensive mattress at home didn't help. I would call it firm and that might suit most people but couldn't bring myself to mention it at check out. The rest more than made up for it.

Staff were very pleasant and helpful, great reception and lounge area. Nice feel about the place, good secure parking.

• Deluxe Garden View

We booked this hotel as a 2+1 (child under 12) The child was expected to sleep in the bed with us, which I feel was not made clear to us when booking. A temporary fold up bed was made available to us at a cost of €25 per night, but I do not think this should have been an additional cost. This option should have been made clear at booking stage for clarity.

Great facilities, very friendly and helpful staff

If I really needed to find a negativ point it would be the carpet in the hallway looked a bit old and not so clean but apart from that...the hotel was clean and beautiful. ( remove the carpet ;))

Big hotels tend to be cold and impersonal, but it didn’t feel like this in there but on the contrary it was cosy, warm and homey.

• Deluxe Garden View

To even improve on the room, you could add extra blankets in the closet. Surprised also you don't provide dressing gowns and slippers for guests in the closet.

• Deluxe Double Room with Golf View

AC did not work . We check in at 3pm , bags were brought to our room we asked that they set AC , but had to call again at 7pm , when it was fixes . Window ledges dirty. I dropped an earring on floor ,so had reason to look under bed, I would suggest housekeeping have a look too. Calling a taxi , we ordered a taxi , when we arriv d in foyer , male at reception , said that 2 other people took our taxi , he then ordered another one for us, taxi arrived , we told him about previous and the taxi man said it happens all th time . So suggest that you use either room number or guests name , so that taxi company will know .

Loved large room 250 , Loved extra large bd. Beautiful view. Quiet room . Piano bar for drinks.

• Junior Suite with Sea View

Everything at this hotel was perfect. The staff went above and beyond to make sure our stay went perfectly! The restaurant in the hotel was incredible! I would spend a week there if I could! We were torn between staying in the hotel or walking out on the beaches!

• Deluxe Garden View

Bathroom needed attention to fix tiles, steam from shower.

Very helpful, friendly staff - thank you. Excellent value for money. Lovely restaurants/bar and public areas. Located next to the beach/sea/ Convenient location. Bedrooms large, good facilities - very impressed and would recommend.

I have no negative replys

Good was excellent no complaints. Staff always at hand to give helpFuladvice bringing our luggage to hotel and making one feel comfortable. I brought a putter with me and they allowed me to enjoy going round the green.

• Deluxe Garden View

The hotel made a complete mess of my billing, they tried to charge me twice despite my giving copies of my booking through yourselves. They promised to sort it out and call me back, I am still waiting for the call. This is an incompetent hotel as far as billing is concerned, their failure spoiled my stay with them.

• Deluxe Garden View

On arrival at hotel I was upgraded to a suite, which exceeded my expectations. Nicely furnished, very comfortable, with excellent views. Staff were very helpful, polite & friendly.

• Deluxe Double Room with Golf View

Through no fault of the hotel, there were a couple of loud gentlemen in the corridor at 2.00am one morning.

The staff were all very helpful, from check in to the porter to all remaining staff. I had had a particularly stressful day and Neinke was very helpful, as was John the porter. The ambience of the hotel was excellent.

They are gradually hiking their prices because of the influx of American tourists and it's becoming a bit too expensive for ordinary working person, so although I love the place, i would be going back.

Stayed many times here. Hotel is 1st class.

The bar facilities were a bit formal and the main one had allocated seating which was minimal for drinking, the rest was taken over by dining.

The staff were all very friendly. Reception staff phoned to enquire if everything was alright with the room. Hotel was very clean.

Evening dining is the weak point of this Hotel Hotel is best suited to those with their own transport

I liked the comfort and quietness of the Hotel also its location Good staff The breakfast is excellent and service at breakfast was great

Parking - u will be lucky to get parking spot with all the golfers and people going to the beaches that park in the hotel. Rooms are very basic, socket coming out off wall gave me a shock, no shower cap, face cloth, biscuit with tray of tea facilities in room also fan did not work in bathroom took 20mins for the mirror to De-mist after taking a shower. Very disappointed.

The sourounding garden and the bar areas are lovely.

Very basic room facilities , No shower cap, No face cloth, No iron or No biscuits in the tea tray In the room, no pool in hotel. Disappointed Expected more for the area the hotel is in.

Friendly helpful staff.

• Deluxe Double Room with Golf View

There was absolutely nothing that I did not like about this hotel. Well done to all concerned! Mrs Marian Quinn

The Staff were fantastic, a pleasure to deal with at all times. The Operations Manager, Mr Brendan Joyce was particularly helpful and went out of his way to accommodate me. I will definitely be recommending this hotel to my friends. I would like to personally than Mr Joyce, a real asset to the hotel and all the lovely staff, including the cleaning staff. Many thanks my pleasure I will be returning again. Mrs Marian Quinn

Breakfast could be better - bacon very greasy and long wait for fried eggs!

Second time staying here - came back because we enjoyed it so much the first time and the prices were reasonable for Dublin area. Staff are friendly and helpful, rooms are comfortable, spacious and warm.

• Deluxe Garden View

For a one night stay I can’t faukt anything

Relaxed atmosphere and staff very welcoming and attentive. Would stay again in the future. Rooms clean fresh and tidy.

The fact that when i went to check in after 3pm my room wasn't ready and had to wait a while. Then when we went out on the second day of our stay we arrived back after a long day shopping in dublin to find our bedroom was only being cleaned which was after 4pm so we had to leave and go and sit in the reception area until it was done.

Everything from location, comfort and cleanliness of hotel to the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff.

• Deluxe Garden View

Room was not ready and had to complain at 3.20pm that we had no room (4month baby waiting over an hour!). Not really baby friendly hotel, stairs everywhere and wheelchair lifts are average at best (very slow). Parking is just dumb...at least have an overhead dropoff area to stop rainfall!!! No pool in the SPA??!

Breakfast was good.

• Deluxe Double Room with Golf View

Insisted on credit card room credit when an other receptionist did not Breakfast was not great Room was not serviced even though we’d been out all day

Room was comfortable Nice view

There was a mix up with my dinner. I ordered trhe Jameson burger, it came out with no bun, waited 5 min for the waiter to come back to ask him if there was meant to be a burger bun with the burger he said of course!! went back to check with the kitchen and it turned out they had run out of burger buns but noone had told him or us when we were ordering! my food was gone cold at this stage but was forced to eat it anyway.

Our room 107 whilst it was beautiful was located next to a staff office with a self closing door that banged nosily after every exit which was frequent I would suggest a delayed self close door such as I have in a healthcare setting so I do not disturb my residents

The family room was very spacious excellent decor and great bathroom

We were told the kitchen stopped serving food at 8:30pm. I did not arrive until 8:45pm so we ordered take away pizza and went to the bar for a drink only to see a table full of people being served a three course meal at 9:15pm. Very unusual that dinner in a hotel stops serving at 8:30pm, especially for late arrivals.

Good hotel. Loved the location on the beach. Great for a morning walk after a nice breakfast.

Very satisfied.

We have stayed in the hotel several times and have always been extremely happy. The foyer is most impressive and rooms are well presented.

Airport transfer takes a little longer than nearer options and there is no transfer bus so it was a short 15 minute taxi . But well worth it much more pleasant stay than the airport hotels all of which I have used most of which are actually a similar distance even if they have a bus .

Super rooms . Nice views . Good restaurants and bar . Great breakfast

Receptionist never in all the hotels have i stayed have i met someone with such poor hospitality skills or people skills her bad manners put our stay off to a bad start i have never felt a need to complain like this for any other person!perhaps a career change for the small mid twenties receptionist. Also tall porter could so with some lessons in basic manners with her!!

Beautiful hotel views were magnificient ! Food was superb in restaurant, bar and for breakfast! Staff in bar,restaurant and low sized porter very friendly

Absolutely nothing to dislike!

Beautiful hotel and surroundings - loved this place and the staff too were so friendly. Great breakfast too! Will definitely return!

To be honest we just came back from Kuala Lumpur and stayed in a 5 star hotel, with an amazing view & facilities for just an extra €10. The hotels in Ireland are so overpriced and this wasn't even a weekend. €159 is a lot to pay for a Monday. I know it was a bank holiday but still it was very expensive.

A very warm welcome from Reception staff who went out of their way to be helpful. Rooms very clean and comfortable. It was raining for most of my stay but hotel lounges comfortable to sit and read and chill out.

Nada

This is a beautiful hotel. We paid about 100 pounds a night for a twin room. The hotel backs on to a beautiful beach. This hotel is a definite 4 star. Its really beautiful. I felt at this price it was a bargain. It's really lovely. I didn't want to leave.

Clean, beautiful, and well maintained property. However the signage for were to enter is poor and getting to the reception requires dragging your luggage up a flight of stairs, i.e. not very customer access friendly.

Difficulty finding parking on arrival - literally no spaces available; slightly disappointed with the interior lay-out of our allocated room (309); bed too close to the door and the neighbouring corridor; the bed directly faced the wardrobe and was some distance from the TV in the far corner

Very comfortable surroundings; excellent attentive staff; fantastic choice for breakfast

• Deluxe Garden View

Pillows very uncomfortable Bar area is not as nice as the main lobby

Breakfast was great. Staff on duty managed a very busy morning with great skill and good humour.?

• Deluxe Garden View

When we went to order room service first reply was we are really busy, then when we ordered food in Jameson bar waiter rude then he forgot to put order through- Chris was lovely and sorted us out but waited over an hour for food in then end

Receptionist was lovely very friend,

Breakfast was not rich. Coffee was too strong and no healthy food or vegetables at breakfast. No fridge or food in the room or snacks.

Clean, nice place and stuff

The car park can be a bit too busy - but that's a good sign for the hotel !

We are regular visitors and always experience the highest standards of facilities and service.

Its quite a walk to get to Train Station / taxi recommended.

The Jameson Bar was excellent and lounge area very comfortable. Very close to Dublin by Dart. Close to Beach.

Maybe less money, it deserve the money but I wish I could stay more and come more. especially the weather was bad, and we could not enjoy the beach even just sitting there

Everything was amazing, I like the place the decor and everything else. The room the restaurant and the outside area

• Deluxe Garden View

Stuck there due to weather. Staff were brilliant. Really helpful trying to get us a taxi to airport in s blizzard at 4.30 in the morning. Above and beyond the call of duty.

• Deluxe Garden View

We booked a deluxe room with garden view, but the view was mostly to other rooms. When booking you should make sure you get sea view or golf court view.

Quiet place by then sea close by dublin and the airport.

• Deluxe Garden View

Food in bar area good. But could have had more vegetarian options. Also finished serving food at 9.30. Early for a Saturday night.

Very friendly professional staff. Very comfortable bar and lounge area. Lovely sea views. Breakfast in bed served promptly and was delicious.

Half hour wait to get breakfast- no food left at 10.30am on Saturday. Near 11am when replenished

Staff excellent & friendly, bedrooms lovely, great location, beach, good bar food, lovely decor, flowers in foyer beautiful

On booking we had requested a bright airy room. On arrival we were shown to a very dark room with not a great view. My husband went to Reception and the very nice and helpful girl Michelle offered to upgrade us for an extra 10 Euro per night. We were moved to a lovely room with a sea view. That was good but I think it was a shame we had to ask and while 20 was not a lot extra to pay it really could have been done without the extra charge. It was a special occasion ( this was communicated on booking) we have stayed on a number of occasions previously - and in particular we requested a nice room on booking. This is not a complaint it is a point I feel I need to make.

We are in the Bar on both nights. My husband is a very plain eater so bar food suited him better.

Disappointed of their better popular dishes removed from the menu at the Jamesons bar/restaurant eg: Steak and Guinness Hotpot and the Fish Hotpot.

Very clean. Comfortable beds. Staff very helpful and breakfast excellent. Very relaxing environment. One of many visits and will return without hesitation.

• Deluxe Garden View

The view over the garden/courtyard isn't much to admire so the price could be cheaper to be fair.

Lovely location, secure free over ground car parking

I got a good price on booking.com that weekend, I couldn't normally afford to stay there but worth it.

Lovely hotel, nice staff, breakfast staff and reception so helpful, very comfortable and fabulous views. Ideal parking. Situation was perfect for my stay.

There was an awful banging noise coming from somewhere,like air in pipes or something,but for the price I paid for the room I never said anything & also our view was looking at a wall 😔

Breakfast very good!!

Access to the hotel requires taking a ticket at the entrance boom. Departure requires a stop at reception to validate and clear parking charges. So while it is secure and free for guests - it is a pain if you just want to nip out to the shops for 5 minutes. Catch 22. Sometimes they left the car park boom open - but it's unpredictable, so by then you've already stopped by reception and had it validated. The positive side of all this is that it probably does add a slight level of security to your (rental) car and the hotel in general. Not sure how it works if you have friends/guests visit you.

Breakfast was full Irish and/or full continental. Usually scrambled egg on offer - no sign of fried/boiled or other. Great pots of Irish tea ! (probably from Kenya or Zimbabwe!) The hotel is in excellent condition - lawns are beautiful. All well managed. Staff are very polite and courteous. A very pleasant place to de-stress.

I have said how much I love this hotel. Its not broken and therefore does not need fixed. N

The rooms are all lovely and all offer nice views. I would recommend one with a sea view but the garden view rooms are almost just as good.

Nothing I didn’t like

I loved everything about the hotel from the time we arrived which was very late check in but it was no problem with the hotel. The beds were so comfortable and the breakfast was amazing the next morning because the had a great Gluten-free section in which I was worried about but the staff went out of there way to help us

I was looking for a nice quiet hotel near Dublin airport and this hotel turned out to be a fantastic find. Excellent staff, beautiful location, wonderful food, both for dinner and breakfast. Parking is free for guests.

I think a hand rail is needed at radiator to get out of bath/shower. Better bath mats also would be nice. Muzak same every day , some soft Irish music in mornings might help in public areas Irish tea in rooms would be nicer than Tetleys

Staff fabulous , very good breakfast, room service good too. Bottled water every day .

The staff at reception were really nice and welcoming - the room was newly decorated and quite comfortable - evening meal in bar was very nice - the only negative was that the hotel appeared to be a bit understaffed for breakfast so service was a tad slow but on the upside the food was great - would definitely stay again.

Room was not as clean as it should have been. We've stayed here before and were very impressed but it was a bit grubby this time around. Gathering of dust on bathroom sockets (electric radiator and under phone), some stains in shower between tiles, bed side lamp shade grubby. Bed and linen were clean and comfortable though.

Proximity to the beach and beautiful walk. Staff very friendly and professional. Relaxed atmosphere

• Deluxe Garden View

I can't think of anything.

The hotel has been greatly improved since we last stayed at it. everything from the Reception to the rooms is greatly improved. The staff could not have been nicer to us and looked after us extremely well.

I assumed their was a swimming pool, there wasn't. I've eaten in the Seaview restaurant a few times and was never really impressed with it. The wifi was a bit too slow for streaming videos but it was still more than enough for general internet usage and email.

My room was very clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly and efficient. The breakfast area was well laid out and have a good selection of items forbidden breakfast.

I ordered steak, it came out stone cold and too over done. I of course told the staff one lovely lady helped and got me a new steak but the rest of the staff were very rude to myself & my boyfriend the rest of the night. It was not my fault the steak was cold I should not have been treated like that what so ever!! I also asked for a top floor with a view & bath, I got ground floor with no bath they said they knew nothing about it. Would never recommend this hotel!!