Reviews of The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel 5 stars

27 St. Stephen's Green, D2 Dublin, Ireland

#4 of 136 hotels in Dublin

Wonderful history in this hotel which was centrally places.

Tap in bathroom really annoying as it took ages to switch off with a handle which was hit and miss.

Wonderful history in this hotel which was centrally places.

Highly Recommended Without Hesitation
    • Heritage King or Twin Room with Park View

This is a beautiful, exceptionally maintained, grand hotel that is excellently located as well! From the moment you arrive, you encounter a staff that is friendly, attentive, responsive but not intrusive. The breakfast option is wonderful....many choices and all are fresh and well prepared. We travel frequently and the Shelbourne is at the top of our list for a return visit!

Dublin is an excellent tourist city. Visit the Guinness brewery and take the hop on hop off bus.
    • Queen Room

The space for sitting in reception is limited

Good location for all tourist needs. Very friendly and helpful staff. The hotel has been refurbished and it showed well.

Shelbourne Experience

Felt it was very in personal. Drinks in bars - prices extortionate. Was charged for bar food in room I never had. only noticed on Bill when I got home. very annoying.

Quality of rooms. Bed and pillows very comfortable. Towels excellent quality. Facilities ironing board and iron - umbrella all very good.

Perfection!

Truthfully there was NOTHING we didn’t like!

Absolutely delightful! The staff was gracious and extremely solicitous; the accommodations were stylishly luxurious! Loved strolling St Stephen’s Green. Excellent location to ‘Hop on Hop off’, enjoy Temple Bar Area...just perfect! Must try the Eggs Shelbourne...yum!

If you are looking for perfectuon, stay in the Shelbourne Hotel, Dublin

The staff....so personal and so genuine. Nothing was a problem and they genuinely meant that. Never experienced customer service like it.

Sensational....stayed there our wedding night and from start to finish we were treated like royalty. The professionalism of the staff and the attention to detail is second to none. A credit to Dublin.

Magical!

We arrived from the Registry Office for lunch having gotten married earlier that morning. The lunch was very tasty and good value and we were given some complimentary treats with our coffee at the end of the meal. We had also booked a room as a treat for ourselves for the evening. However, when we informed the check in staff that we had been married earlier that day we were upgraded to a junior suite on checking in. That was a wonderful gift! The suite was stunning with incredible views out onto St. Stephen's Green. A lovely congratulations card and some delicious fudge sweets were waiting for us in our sitting room also. The staff were all very friendly and attentive and we felt very well looked after. It was a magical stay in a beautiful hotel.

Just OK, its not the Merrion!!!

The room was at the back and very dark. We had explained that the night stay was to celebrate both our 25th Wedding anniversary and wife birthday. They did not read or email or have any advanced knowledge. I have an issue with having to supply my credit card details, after it had been provided through Booking.com and in a more wider issue the practice of blocking out funds on my credit card! I find the practice to be impersonal and suggestive that I would not pay. Also, quite a significant amount of money can be pre-authorised, only for the benefit of the hotel and not the client. I imagine that any one would find it offensive if they walked into a shop to firstly be asked to block out £500 incase they buy something or refuse to pay for it! I see this practice no different. In this instance I refused to provide my card and they Hotel insisted I pay for my room up front. I did that on check-in but only after explaining that this booking was processed through your website and credit card details had been provided. I fairness this observation is not exclusive to the Shelborne hotel many hotel chains try this as matter of practice.

location ONLY

Really enjoyable

The view from our room was awful. We were looking onto a building with nothing pretty to view.

Five star service from start to finish. Staff are very attentive and friendly. Location fabulous. Ambience in the hotel was great. It’s a buzzing lively place in the public areas yet the rooms are peaceful and quiet

wonderful the whole experience was brillant

i cannot fault anything i truly mean that i have high expectations anf the were truly met

from the minute i arrived everything was brillant the meet and greet,checking in,room service i am so delighted with the service i received just want to go back. amazing staff . i highly recommend this hotel AMAZING .

The shelbourne is the ultimate 5 star plus experience

The shelbourne is outstanding and I now know from my stay why it still remains the top hotel in ireland.Every last detail was so perfect from our room, to checking in to the bar and restaurant to the gym.All the team when above and beyond my expectations.It turely is the ultimate luxury 5 star experience, right in the heart of dublin city.

Comfortable, good food and drink, beautiful hotel, great location, great staff.

Very comfortable bed. Great staff. Very friendly. Great bars. View was horrible but we were out all day and enjoyed the room after dark. The food was good too!

Shelbourne Hotel is a beautiful historic hotel in a great...
    • Premium Heritage King Room

Residence Bar a lovely touch but spotlights too bright. Staff in the back 80% of the time. No nibbles until one couple asked for them. We were the only other couple there, no nibbles offered to us. Empty drink glasses and coke bottles remained on our table until we left.

Shelbourne Hotel is a beautiful historic hotel in a great location. Room was spotless. Enjoyed the Museum and viewing The Constitution. Dennis O Brian is a legend and Billy in the Front Lobby was 5 star from start to finish.

Luxury in a perfect location of the city

The breakfast is exceptional. The attention to detail is exquisite, from the fresh honeycomb to the beautiful silver service. The quality of the ingredients in the cooked buffet was better than most a la carte fry-ups. The hotel oozes 5 star class. Will be back!

Excellent hotel but overpriced.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our room was a little on the small side. The service in the residents bar was extremely slow. There is no car park so you have pay extra for valet parking

The staff were very attentive and the main bar and restaurant were very good. Our room was fairly standard although the bed was very comfortable

Very relaxing , luxurious and great location
    • Queen Room

The in house food service extra charge is a bit excessive as I feel I have to tip the staff as well

Bed was fantastically comfortable and the quality of the sheets was excellent

Stunning hotel great n a great location
    • Premium Heritage King Room

Saddle Room restaurant - Felt badly let down by the chef who wouldn’t cook a starter portion of a main course - At establishments like this they usually bend over backwards to accommodate peoples food requests.. that said the food I did order was very nice indeed .

Stunning hotel great n a great location

The room was very luxurious, staff are very helpful, the bar...

Check in was delayed and we didn't receive prior warning

The room was very luxurious, staff are very helpful, the bar is very nice and serves great cocktails

Service was excellent and bed really comfortable!

The floor in the room was very shaky. The furniture rattled every time you walked in the room.

Service was excellent and bed really comfortable! Our room was upgraded which was lovely.

Exceptional and warm

Thanks so much to all the wonderful staff who were exceptional and attentive and looked after our every need as honeymooners and made us so so welcome. Wonderful

The Royal Treatment

The staff was extraordinary and attentive beyond what could be expected. The welcoming smile, birthday surprise in the room on my birthday, a room with a bathtub as requested, the bedtime chocolates, all came to perfection. Truly a majestic stay. It is a must to sit down in the Residents Bar and enjoy a night cap, be it a pot of tea or fine Irish whiskey. One of the very best establishments in which we’ve stayed and one we will return to.

A perfect short break in a fantastic hotel, facillated by a team that know their stuff.

That we could not stay for another night due to family commitments.

I have to say that our stay in the Shelbourne Dublin was one of if not the most pleasurable experance we have had in a hotel. The staff are excellent and the facalities are second to none. We would reccommend this hotel to any one looking for a touch of class. Declan & Rebekah.

The shelborne is a nice hotel, however I do think it is a...

The strong Fragrance when you enter the lobby is totally overwhelming.

The shelborne is a nice hotel, however I do think it is a little overrated. We spend 2 nights. The rooms are nice but not exceptional. I really expected more for this 5 star hotel. We ate dinner in the Saddle room. I felt the service was lacking and did not meet my expectations. Again nice hotel but not sure it deserves 5 stars.

The hotel is beautiful, and the staff are extremely helpful...
    • Queen Room

The hotel is beautiful, and the staff are extremely helpful and friendly, the only downside of my stay was, I got absolutely no sleep over a noise that was constant throughout the night, the only way I can describe it is, it was like someone was pulling a large couch across wooden floors, this was happening all night long , I do not know if it is from a factory or what, but it disturbed my sleep for the whole night. Regarding Breakfast, when we were shown to our table we were not asked if we had breakfast before ( which I heard them ask everyone else ) So I had no idea that I could order from the menu, I thought I could only get the buffet and continental, and then there was egg shell in my scrambled eggs, so I was turned off the rest of the breakfast. Really not worth 29 euro per person at all!!!

It was nice but didn’t quite live up to expectations . Dinner was lovely but drinks were very expens

The Guinness was awful . We would have expected a 5 star hotel in Dublin to serve good Guinness unfortunately it was very poor and our waitress agreed that it was bad . She suggested where to go for a good pint . Also before we moved our belongings from the room the staff moved in an extra bed for the next guests and this was prior to check out time .

Reception staff were lovely . They were very kind to make our birthday celebration special

Mostly excellent.
    • Queen Room

Nothing. But I was charged twice for my room. This shouldn't have happened for such a reputable establishment. Of course, they did apologise and will rectify it as soon as possible.

The location, the comfort

Ok room, amazing staff, lovely bar/restaurant
    • Queen Room

They 'upgraded' me to a room with a door directly to the room beside mine. I could hear too much of what was happening in the other room. Disappointing, as its supposed to be one of the best hotels.

Staff excellent, fantastic doorman got me a taxi in a rush.

I loved the service, the staff were superb and made you feel...

The view from our window was bleak, I feel perhaps artificial grass would be a great idea rather than a grey bland roof.

I loved the service, the staff were superb and made you feel special. The breakfast 10/10 as was the comfort in the hotel.

Great hotel and wonderful location for all that you want to see in Dublin
    • Heritage King or Twin Room with Park View

can't think of any improvements.

very comfortable bed and pillows with choice of sheet and/or duvet. Loved the separate shower. Room quiet and cool. Dinner and breakfast were excellent and all hotel staff very pleasant and helpful.

Location. Beautiful, tastefully decorated interior, splendid attention to detail, comfortable bed, spacious room, exquisite dinner, nice, friendly staff.

Staff very friendly and accommodating.

Staff very friendly and accommodating. Room very comfortable as was bed! We enjoyed a wonderful dinner in the restaurant and loved the paintings on the walls in the bar. Overall an excellent experience and with its fantastic location on Stephens Green and near Grafton St it was great value for money. Thank you

Magical!

From the minute we pulled up outside the door it felt so welcoming. Richard at the door was a fountain of knowledge. Our room was beautiful and the most comfy bed- OMG! Walking distance to everywhere which we loved and the pool and gym were top notch!

Almost perfect 👌

Part of hotel closed for renovations.

This is an exceptional hotel from the moment one arrives until you leave. Great buzz & atmosphere. Luxury surroundings

Lovely stay will be back.

When we arrived we were dropped outside and Michael was rushing to Airport so we got bags etc from jeep quickly could have done with help..... When we entered door Lady did see that and came over...

My Daughter loved the breakfast Gluten free area .....so impressed. Breakfast staff so nice...

cant wate to return

some treatments in the spa were very expensive

every thing about the hotel was exceptional. would recommend this hotel to any one who want's. a luxury stay

Magnificent hotel, superb location and excellent staff

Checked in by Miriama who was very helpful and pleasant. Our newly refurbished room was superb in every respect Breakfast was amazing and all staff were so helpful and extremely pleasant We would definitely return

It was fantastic
    • King Guest Room with Balcony

Our room key locked us out 3 times and we had to stand in a long queue each time to recode the key.

I'm a coeliac so it's often difficult to have a gluten free meal but there were many gluten free options on the menu & the staff were very well informed about a gluten free diet. Our room was great and extremely comfortable. many thanks

The facility was spotless and surfaces and floor were shined.

The hand held hair dryer never blew hot air, only slightly warm. We requested a replacement from Housekeeping, but it was not any better.

The facility was spotless and surfaces and floor were shined. Staff very approachable and helpful. Great location in the heart of the tourist district.

Fabulous treat in the city centre.

We were told at reception that swimwear was provided when we queried the pool (thought strange but was reassured this was the case). Actually had to purchase swimwear.

The comfy bed, issue with sink dealt with ASAP. The quality of the breakfast & complimentary newspaper.

Good.

The kitchen was closed due to a power cut in Dublin. I had booked a lunch for my Father’s birthday and I was kindly advised by reception that only soup and sandwiches would be available. I assumed that as Reception had made the call, appreciated the occasion and explained what was on offer, which I accepted,a table would have been reserved in the main bar. Unfortunately when I arrived the bar and tables were all full. The concierge when I explained my predicament and disappointment approached the restaurant staff (at front of house). The gentlemen was extremely dismissive to the point of being rude to the concierge who was only trying to be helpful. Very shocked and saddened and it spoilt an otherwise enjoyable visit.

Exquisite service in a fabulously located hotel!
    • Premium Heritage King Room

The very small bath in the bathroom.

Facilities in room were excellent except for the small bath! I would've expected a bigger bath in a premium heritage room. Breakfast was fantastic with a wonderful range of food and a corner with gluten free products!!

Our room was lovely, the bed was so comfy.

There is nothing not to like about the Shelbourne, we had a super stay :-)

Our room was lovely, the bed was so comfy. The bathroom was only okay, the shower was awkward to operate. The bath was slow to empty. Apart from that it was enjoyable. The room service was very prompt.

A Real Treat

The drop off area is awkward on the main thoroughfare of St Stephens Green. That said the chauffeurs and doormen were top of their game once we got there. The Valet Parking is an excellent service.

The whole experience was fantastic. Comfortable, temperature controlled bedroom with very attentive staff. Bumping into movie stars was a great surprise and we had a major star struck moment😀

5 star hotel 5 star service!

Having to leave

A wonderful treat for my husband and I to celebrate Valentine’s Day in a beautiful Heritage suite facing on to St Stephens Green. We enjoyed a delicious Valentines night dinner in The Saddle room. The staff in the hotel were exceptionally friendly and helpful.

overall very enjoyable

Breakfast expensive at €29 per person

had option to upgrade (for an addition €100 fee per night) and took this after reviewing the standard room. Standard room was a bit small and dark. Larger room overlooking the green, excellent.

A fabulous hotel but I will not be returning as it's too expensive.
    • Heritage King or Twin Room with Park View

The bed wasn't comfy in the double double rooms ( maybe it's different in other rooms) a lot of stairs and my mother is over 65 so this was an issue. The reception desk wasn't as you come in . The breakfast was way too expensive.

The pool was lovely , the hotel was spotless . The shower was beautiful. The service excellent. The door man he was so nice to all of us including kids.

Fabulous hotel

Absolutely gorgeous hotel in a prime location. Our check in was first class and nothing was too much for the staff. We had a few drinks in the bar which was lovely and our room was clean and spacious. Perfect for a trip to Dublin!

Our new favourite hotel in the world - such a gorgeous stay. So happy we chose the Shelbourne!
    • Heritage King or Twin Room with Park View

Service was amazing, food was exceptional and staff were more than helpful and accomodating. A beautiful hotel and the best 5* we have ever stayed in by far.

Good room and great location.

In my room water temperature in the shower very hard to control. Spa and gym facilities are very disappointed.

Great city hotel with perfect location. Room are quiet and great traditional design.

A beautiful hotel, full of character, in a great central location.

Excessive parking charge not made clear at check in. The fact that there isn't a walk in shower for elderly guests

Ambience and comfort of hotel, central location

The room was beautiful and very clean and stylish.

No. 27 Bar was good but I would have liked some other options on the menu. A lot of seafood..

The room was beautiful and very clean and stylish. Customer service was excellent.

Lovely luxury hotel. Bar very popular.

Hotel bar was so very crowded we could not find a seat, we had intended to eat there so were left looking for a restaurant at 9.00pm.

We were upgraded to a mini suite. It was amazing!!

A must stay hotel!

There is nothing to dislike.

Everything, from the valet parking, the lovely staff at the reception, the guys who brought our luggage to the room, restaurant staff, they made you feel very welcome. I mentioned that we where staying as a Birthday treat, they sent a trio of mini desserts to our room with a lovely card, we where made to feel like we were the only guests staying in the hotel! The hotel itself is stunning from the minute you walk through the doors, the beds are excellent and the rooms are lovely, we had our beds turned down aswell. This hotel certainly lived up to my expectations of what a 5* hotel should be.

It was only ok

We had just got married 2 days prior to our stay, I made this clear on whilst booking. It wasn't acknowledged upon check in which I thought a well wish would have been nice, instead we are immediately asked if we wanted to upgrade to a more superior room for just €50 extra. I didn't appreciate being put under this pressure and I don't think it's professional of a receptionist to do this. Our room was fine. It was impossible to gey a drink at the bar, we tried both. We by no way had a special night away here and we will not be returning.

We had a comfortable stay here.

I'll be back, no doubt about it.

I can't think of a single thing that could have been better.

The bed was the best hotel bed I've ever slept in. The rooms are lovely and the bars well appointed. But its the staff who lift this hotel into a different league. Everyone is friendly and efficient and the way they all operate as a team is most impressive. Each one is on the lookout all the time that all clients are being well taken care of.

mostly excellent but let down by some staff
    • Queen Room

one or two of reception staff less than helpful whilst others went out of there way to help. lack of seating in lounges at night when busy. disabled elderly mother unable to access upstairs lounge.

facilities excellent. most staff friendly and helpful, good food

Disappointing, save your money.
    • Queen Room

At the check in queue we were oddly given a small jar/milk bottle of orange juice with a straw. Nice I guess but strange. Our room had rubbish on the floor and a quite a bit of hair in the bathroom. The bed was made of two singles pushed together, which I personally hate. There was no information in the room about the spa and pool and the noise of the air conditioning units outside could be heard.

The hotel looked beautiful and had a pool. The location was good and the staff friendly.

Beautiful grand hotel, very comfortable bedroom but hotel itself a little disappointing

Lack of places to sit in foyer - need to get afternoon tea room renovations completed ASAP . Hotel lacking atmosphere - must have area off lobby for guests to sit and relax other than bars

The room was very tastefully decorated - very comfortable bed and nice bathroom with elemis products. Also very good quality robes.

Sophisticated luxury in a beautiful location
    • Heritage King or Twin Room with Park View

Having to leave at the end of our stay.

Magnificent hotel with friendly staff and great facilities. Superb views over Stephens Green. It is an expensive hotel but well worth the money for a really memorable stay right in the heart of Dublin.

Luxury stay in a perfect part of the city.

The bed was very comfortable and the room was luxurious and spacious. It is a great location to stroll around the city especially Grafton street. The residents bar had a great atmosphere also.

Very nice stay - thank you.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Well - if I was looking at innovation and a way to improve, I would divest of the cumbersome scary clock radios with the starship enterprise illuminating panels. Don't touch them whatever you do - they are like the sirens beckoning you onto the rocks, only they'll just wake you up in the early hours of the morning with the screech of a banshee or a noise polluting pzzzzccch (these 'things' are so in the past, out of the same drawer of the 1970s trouser press - people can tune in on their tv if they really want to listen to the radio these days - yes?). Once divested, then you can get down to the real problem - oh dear - serving sachets of crystallized coffee - just like - erm - a 3 star hotel. Action this day! A business plan to invest in real coffee for all and out with the radio cum clock cum alarm cum retro cum cumbersome thing and bejesus to the begrudgers!

Bed and ambiance.

Location, standard of fixtures and fittings.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel lobby is away from the main entrance and the seating there is very poor. There is no where in the hotel to sit and watch the world go by without having to go the bar or restuarant.

Location, standard of fixtures and fittings.

Unreal spot. Unparrelled in dublin really.

This hotel has a big reputation and it lives up to same. 5 star quality, great location. We got the room for a reasonable price but usually staying in this hotel would be a out of our budget. A real treat.

Such a beautiful hotel with great staff
    • Queen Room

The cocktails in the bar were not the best for the price that they were, it was also very slow getting a drink.

The staff were so helpful and accommodating. The breakfast was first class

Beautiful setting in bustling surrounds of Dublin but so comfortable and quiet. Staff friendly, help

Showers were scalding hot or very cold - hard to get an in between temperature it took a good while. I asked for a newspaper at check in but it didn’t arrive unfortunately

Loved the comfort of the room, so clean, very quiet. Total 5 star experience

The staff and the hotel were fabulous.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I liked everything about this hotel. The Christmas train set in the reception area was unbelievable. The bedroom and bathroom was luxurious and the beds were very comfy.

I thought the staff could have been more informative at...

Stated above

I thought the staff could have been more informative at reception. Also we waited in the foyer for quite a while on a member of staff to tell us if we could get some lunch .. we got fed up waiting & went to the Westbury hotel for lunch.

Overall I enjoyed my stay as staff were friendly, breakfast very good and central location
    • Queen Room

My room was comfortable and clean but I was surprised to find a cracked glass in the bathroom which is not what one would expect in a 5 star hotel. The double room was just big enough for one person but would be very cramped for two people.

The breakfast was buffet-style with plenty of fruit which I like! There was a good choice of cooked food and I enjoyed the pastries. The tea was served by a friendly waitress at my table.

Excellent location with luxurious bedrooms
    • Heritage King or Twin Room with Park View

Seating was very hard to get in the lounge which is unfortunate for people like us who were staying in the hotel but could not find a seat at any time yet people off the street could come in and sit there all day.

Excellent location, beautiful rooms with great views of the park. Staff are fantastic and very friendly.

My Wife summed it up like a Fairy Tale

The weather, which Shelbourne Hotel have no control, although a nice touch supplying courteous umbrellas very impressive

The service was a amazing from start to end, From the time the Porter opens the taxi door to welcome you to the hotel and assist with luggage, Introduce you to reception where everyone was so helpful and delightful, from bar to breakfast. First impressions the entrance hall, the attention to detail in the hotel is excellent, you didn't need to ask for anything always a step ahead, even down to the umbrellas. looking after the client always key to its success as Renaissance hotel.

Not what i had thought it would be like. A bit claustrophobic!
    • Queen Room

The busyness of the place. All very efficient. Trying to locate the spa from the bedrooms a real challenge! A bit too expensive for what you get. The room was quite ordinary. Have been in much nicer places for much less money.

Excellent Hotel

Staff and Service are Excellent, Deluxe room excellent standard big enough for 2. Location of the hotel is excellent and Buffet Breakfast top class.

Relaxing. Welcoming. Luxurious and comfortable. A lovely treat.

Only one negative was the girl who greeted us for breakfast and seated us. Visibly not as friendly or knowledgeable as all other staff. Bit off putting and in total contrast to all other staff and experiences during our stay.

Staff in Bar 27 welcoming and very nice. Lemon water idea at breakfast great. Bed comfortable. Pairing phone with tv good. Barber lovely.

A lovely experience

We had a deluxe room which was small. The towels in our room were small, rough and grey/white. Definitely not white and fluffy

Location is fantastic.

The cost of parking your car €35 per night is exorbitant as...

The cost of parking your car €35 per night is exorbitant as is the cost of breakfast €29. Our room was wheelchair friendly with the appropriate shower which unfortunately it leaked significantly on to the carpet in our room.