Reviews of The Victoria Hotel 3 stars

Queen Street , Eyre Square, . Galway, Ireland

#38 of 42 hotels in Galway

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Basic. Breakfast, quality of room and facilities not as good as premier Inn but more expensive

The toaster didn't work. First pass through in the toaster only toasted on one side. Put the toast through second time and it burnt both sides. Gave up. Limited cereal. No porridge

Very expensive for the quality of room and facilities. No towels in the room. Had to phone and ask for them. Quality of towels was poor in comparison to cost of the room.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

It was nice and spacious and clean.

The room was freezing and the radiator only stayed on for a maximum of five minutes not even. Some of the wall lamps bulbs weren't working so it was dull and dark at night. My major issue was the shower it would not heat up I looked for a switch just incase i had to switch a button on as it was an 'old' room but there wasn't any. I left it run for awhile and it just wasn't heating up, I also tried the bath water and that also wasn't heating up. For €159 for one night the least I expected was some hot water to shower.

It was nice and spacious and clean.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

We would come and stay again, great position near the bars and restaurants but away from noise.

what a comfy enormous bed. Full Irish breakfast lovely. Bar and Reception people were very friendly and informative. Rooms very clean and quite. If you met any staff on the corridor or in the lift they would always say hello and ask if everything was ok.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Visit to Donegal

Staffing while pleasent, was in short supply making checking in a problem. Currently undergoing noisy, messsy renovations. Rooms are old, limited electrical outlets (ours had only one in the bed area and that was on the far wall). Mattresses need replacing.

Room was spacious and clean. Bathroom was of good size. Hotel has some old time charm and is centrally located in the heart of town, off site parking is close by and reasonable.

started as an exciting weekday expedition then we checked in :( moved hotel 2nd night much improved.

scaffolding. no breakfast in a 190EUR a night room. worn carpets everywhere with shoddy repair efforts that my shortsighted granny wouldn't even have done. disappointing to say the least. decent location but no car parking so enjoy the walk back with your luggage from the direction of either of the two public car parks with no linking footpath. (you can't stop outside of the hotel, in fact I wouldn't stop at all next time). you have been warned!!

Room with a Castle view!

Odd shape Bathroom, not use to the half shower door, the sink was difficult to reach because the wall was in the way.

Location was fantastic, Breakfast was fantastic, value was great! Wonderful staff.

Modern hotel in the centre of Galway

The view from our room was no view at all.

The hotel is super central, bathroom and furniture were pretty modern. We didn't get a chance to have a drink at the bar but it looked very inviting.

Love this hotel

It’s a bit dated but they are renovating it. New rooms are modern and comfortable

Located just around the corner from the railway station and almost in the city Center. Breakfast was fabulous and great value for money It looks out on a delightful courtyard Nice!

Stay away

I paid €169 for 1 night and it was one of the most disgusting hotels I ever had to stay in, really old and outdated, didn't even have key cards for the door, a key with a big keyring which wouldn't fit in my pocket, I'd rather sleep with the homeless next time

The bottle of coors light at the bar

We had a perfect evening

sunny weather, it rained all day. the hotel was up to its usual standards

I have stayed here several times over many years. the staff were very friendly and professional plus it is really close to the amenities in the area.

Enjoyable stay with pleasant staff.

If we had of know there was construction on prior to arrival we probably would not of chosen to stay here. Being woken before the alarm I set to the sound of builders is not ideal.

Really liked the bed and the room. The best was so comfortable.

Review

The beds were really uncomfortable and the times for the breakfast were very early and didn't give you the chance to have a lie in on holiday, the room was very dark also and only had a kettle and tv in it.

Location was okay, away from all the noise but right beside the shopping centre and close to train station.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Would consider staying again, but would contact the property to be sure of where our room would be.

There was construction happening at the property while we stayed (which we had been advised of) I think all the guest were located on the upper floors, which was fine but it was extremely hot in the hotel. I was looking forward to this hotel stay it looked very nice, but (I think due to construction) we were tucked in a room in a corner that felt too small for the price we paid.

The location of this property was exactly where we needed to be - not too far from the train station and just down the street from the bus for the Aran islands. Also easy walking distance from Eyre square and all the touristy spots. The beds were comfortable and the property was clean.

Great hotel and location - would recommend

The hotel was going through refurbishments at the time and whilst we were told that there wouldn't be workmen on site over the weekend this was not correct. Other than this hotel was great!

Lovely friendly hotel and great location - only a 5 min walk from the centre of Galway - so close enough to get everywhere but far enough away so that there was no noise. Fabulous breakfasts.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Check that renovatios are complete.

There was renovations on going and the same amount was charged for the noisey working mornings as the quieter Sunday morning when there were no workmen drilling in close proximity to bedrooms. When there is major construction going on in a hotel the price of your stay should be reduced .

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Highly recommend this Hotel so near Train Station and shopping area.

No complaints at all!

Breakfast and croissants excellent. All very relaxing. Hotel quiet yet so near the centre of everything - perfect location. This was our second trip and we will definitely be back!

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

The room was clean, the heater and shower worked fine.

The TV was positioned in the right side of the room and the beds in the centre, a litter difficult to watch it. rooms wall s are very tin so could listening everything was going one in the rooms beside or/ and the corredor.

The room was clean, the heater and shower worked fine.

Overall a very pleasant and relaxing experience.

The bell didn't work so we had to wait outside after midnight for someone to notice a group of us outside the locked front door.

The hotel was very quiet and comfortable and the old world decor beautifully preserved. We liked the idea of having a real key to our room as opposed to the ubiquitous digital swipe card....

Just about OK expensive given work going on

Hotel undergoing refurbishment, not prewarned, room rather tired and in need of upgrade, prices did not reflect this

Large comfortable room, bath with shower over, fresh clean linen and towels, room made up promptly on request

Staff were very professionally but scaffolding and noise from building very annoying

Was not made aware that building work was going on . Requested a room with a view . Got large planks and scaffolding directly outside our rooms . Very disappointed with this

Friendly staff

Overall good...

I want to make a comment about the above section “Who did you travel with ?” Since I stayed with my mother and sister I cannot answer the question . Also, if my wife were with me why is there not a question pertaining to Spouse...a partner is not a spouse yet you would sooner put in partner rather than spouse. So to sum up...please expand your category of family to include family without children and......for those of us who are married...Spouse. Thank you very much.

Location was excellent.

It took 30 minutes for the kitchen to serve us the cooked breakfast. The car park was far away

Location was excellent. The room was spacious, clean with all facilities very good

Would not recommend this hotel very expensive for what you get

Bathroom flooded, breakfast in the restaurant was terrible, worst scrambled eggs. Staff also weren’t very friendly

The bed was comfy and the location was good

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

It’s was central easy to walk to places

There was maintenance going on and the noise was unbearable we were meant to stay till Friday but left Thursday couldn’t stick the noise anymore

It’s was central easy to walk to places

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Would not recommend

Construction going on , room drab, old carpet and bathroom had damp mark on celing. and too hot window would not open. Breakfast was serviced in a dark dull room..no fresh fruit it's was caned fruit over all not great for the price 139 for one night. .

Won’t let me give less than 2.5 points

Hmm... before I start, BOOKING.COM did not put in big letters at the front that this place is currently under renovation , so thanks for the heads up people... Okay - no free parking as we were shown on the web page (they said that wasn’t their web page). No where to park to drop off luggage (except illegal parking and stopping traffic), fortunately the parking deck was only 3.5 blocks away. Once we parked in the deck and walked back in the rain the hotel had a “wet” smell to it when entering the hotel. I had a room for me and one for my kids (grown) where one had a beautiful view of a brick wall and one with a beautiful view of a different brick wall. One room (keep in mind they are next to each other) had a huge puddle of water on the bathroom floor, for no apparent reason, which also flowed into the tiny bedroom. Also in the same room, as it was a bit chilly with all the moisture in the air (inside the room) we were going to turn the heater on for a few minutes and - nope - that didn’t work either. The other room was much nicer as the room didn’t have the huge puddle. Fortunately the discomfort was eased with the great water pressure from the shower. But..... wait .... the drain didn’t work so I was granted the opportunity to shower and take a bath all at the same time (sarcasm). (Sarcasm continued..) but the price was perfect at $169.00 euros per night per room was perfect... if I was staying at an actual nice place but this was a dump. I haven’t had a experience like this since I stayed at a motel in Minnesota, USA in 1977. Thanks BOOKING.COM for not warning people about the crap reviews and not letting people give a lower rating. I’ll be sure to not use your services again.

It was terrible

Location was fantastic!

Our room really was awful! Awkward shape and the window that looked up onto the street looked like it had never had a clean and yes I said the window that looked up to the street! Felt like we were in a basement. Would probably have better use as a stockroom

Location was fantastic!

Great value for money, great location & walking distance to beach & shops

Our room was in front & alot noise as it's under renovations.

Staff friendly & helpful. Breakfast was lovely & great selection to choose from. Hotel is very central & just walking distance. I'd definitely stay in this hotel again.

Great location, awesome room

The hotel was doing renovations, which we were not informed of prior to check in. We weren’t impacted by them, as we checked out before the 9:00 am start, but I imagine some guests were.

The location was amazing! The staff was awesome. When we arrived the room we were originally assigned wasn’t what we expected, so the staff gave us a few options of other rooms that suited our needs more. Very clean & comfortable.

Nice spot

I have no complaints

the hotel was fine, we paid bit extra because of the galway races. The reviews before we went were not great but I have no complaints. Very Central to Eyres Square and I enjoyed my stay.

Disapointed

Hotel needs a lot of work done to it. Needs this for the price the charged for 1 night. Was far to high. Breakfast was not good either. Really need to fix this

The rooms were lovely

great location excellent staff on reception

I didnt like the fry so opted for the other options croissants and toast

staff were very friendly and professional the room was spotless as was the hotel, location was perfect

Perfect

Great hotel in a great location. We booked here as going to the Galway festival. I booked this hotel 1 year ago. Just before we were to go I checked the reviews and was a little shocked at how bad they were. But I can’t see what people were moaning about. The hotel was fab. The entrance and the reception staff couldn’t have been better. The room was spacious and clean. The breakfast was really good. The bar was always open. The hotel is situated just off the square so quiet on the nights. It was quite expensive but with the Galway festival on so you have to pay for nice accommodation. All in all couldn’t of been a better stay. Well done The Victoria.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

The 2nd night they moved us to the newly renovated room and...

The old room that we stayed in on the 1st night was very old if your thinking of booking this hotel ask for a room that has been renovated !

The 2nd night they moved us to the newly renovated room and it was fantastic. There is a lot of building work going on in the hotel at the moment so its unfair to say anymore till we visit again

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

Clean and comfortable room

more toiletries would have been nice

room was very clean and beds comfortable, could have done with more toiletries in the bathroom. building work in progress on first morning of at 9.30 did not affect us as we were already up. none the next morning because of rain. when checking out bucket inside main door collecting water from leaking roof not very inviting for guests arriving

Galway fantastic place , Victoria hotel requires much improvement

Extremely run down facilities . The room was very dark and dingy . It was mostly clean however the curtain covering our window was disgustingly dirty . Not at all worth the over inflated price we were charged .

The location was amazing . Very central but no disruption from noise apart from the morning when we were awake anyway .

Great location, breakfast was fantastic

It was under a refurb and our room was one of them that had not been done yet but overall it was a very good hotel. Once the rooms are done I would highly recommend

Great location, breakfast was fantastic

Ideal location but needs serious updating. Grubby but peaceful.

It’s old and smells old. No iron in the room and reception could be friendly. Not the most approachable people. Button for the lift was button leaving what looked like a dangerous opening in the wall with visible wires.

It’s location.

Extortionate rates for substandard hotel

The bedroom window was filthy it could not be opened due to building works and scaffolding outside. It's not a place to go if you are looking to sleep at night. We were awake listening to the heavy door banging noisily all night. Staff were rude with the exception of those who worked in the kitchen. Only thing good about this place is their breakfasts. I would not spend a night here again. If you're considering booking you may as well consider here to be the same standard as a hostel only with extornate prices. Taps were dripping and the whole experience was unpleasant

The location only

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

A very nice stay in a comfortable/clean/well located hotel.

If breakfast was included always.

While the hotel is undergoing remodeling we were not affected. The staff is fantastic and always ready to help. Really liked the location - easy access to public transport / city center / and the new Coach station.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

Disappointed I think covers it

No athmosphere in the hotel, no entertainment in the bar oh and to top it off the hotel is currently under renovation so builders in scaffolding up hammering away which I understand is to make this property better in the long run but would have been nice to have been told this at original enquiry being made. Oh and the beds are really really bad.

Location right now is probably the only thing going for this hotel at present.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

Very old fashiined.

Very old fashiined. Fantastic location. Blind in room 108 woukd need curtsin over it ad way too hright. Noise likd gdnerstor during night. Thought way over oriced with no breakfadt but again excellent lication.

2 day trip

Everything the staff were very friendly and it has the perfect location to the city as well as Salthill, the beds were comfortable the room was fabulous and it was a really good price

Almost perfect

The room just needed a bit of updating. Loose doorknob and old, sellotaped together hairdryer. Just a little TLC and it'd be great.

The location and the comfort. I would stay again.

Room Great as it was recently renovated however overall hotel very dated

Very dated hotel, need of a renovation. Hen party so that would put you off going into the hotel bar. generally not an inviting place to relax.

Our room was clean and looked like it had been recently renovated which was great compared to the rest of the hotel we found it to be very dated, carpets v. shabby, lift button broken, breakfast wasn't great. Great location and handy for Hynes Carpark which was €8 per day. For a city break that you are not going to be using the hotel then this is fine. If you wanted to chill out or maybe have a drink at the hotel and relax, this wouldn't be the place to go...

OK for sales reps but not ideal for holidaymakers

The hotel was noisy and dusty due to renovation work going on, parking was in a pricey multi-storey some way away from the hotel. Even getting suitcases out of the car was harrowing due to the busy corner of the one-way system the hotel was located on. Dining area dark and depressing, breakfast pretty average. Good place for contractors and sales reps visiting Galway but not ideal for holidaymakers.

Close to the centre of Galway, a lovely place to be.

Very pleasant stay, highly recommend the veg breakfast

There is some renovations going on now but we were not disturbed by it.

The location was excellent just 2 minutes walk to Eire Square and 5 minutes to bus and train. The bed was huge and very comfortable. The breakfast was excellent, we had the vegetarian and we agree it's the best we had in a very long time.

Central hotel, clean & friendly staff

There was renovations taking place at the hotel which we weren't made aware of when booking. It wasn't too noisy but did wake me a few times on the morning

The staff were friendly & very helpful. Location is very central.

Location and brand new remodeled rooms

It's under major construction - Construction materials everywhere in the lobby - every floor and outside of building a mess - a warning would have been expected?

Location and brand new remodeled rooms

Great location and hassle free/comfortable experience.

Caoimhe at the desk was very helpful and there was no hassle with the room or noise at night. The hotel is 5 minutes walk from all the main bars/Eyre square which made the 2 days we stayed easier. Great stay all around

The location is great.

The location is great. The property is very dated and was undergoing badly needed renovations when we were there. Hopefully the end result is good, it seemed clean and well run, just old and run down when we were there.

Great old renovated hotel in city center

It was a renovated room so all was good There was a little noise from the renovation but nothing to annoy us Location was perfect. close to the park and a short walk t the city center.

Excellent, convenient location with very friendly staff!

It’s looks like the hotel is under renovation maybe, that’s fine no problem. The pictures during booking do not reflect the current state of the hotel.

The location is excellent and is within a block or two of transportation, tour buses, and bustling Quay St, staff is extremely helpful and courteous! They went out of their way for us! Great experience!

Terrible night!

Pillows, room, noises, door was terrible, towels, the air conditioning did not work...

I liked just the bed, just this... Because all the rest was terrible. No more!

Could have informed me

Was not informed of the renovations work prior to arrival, the walls where thin and the entrance to the hotel was locked at 11, we where not informed of this when checking in, had to stand outside the hotel for 5 minutes waiting for someone to let us in

In the city centre and parking close by

The hotel is undergoing renovation, but our room...

The hotel is undergoing renovation, but our room unfortunately had not yet been gotten to. While large, it did show a lot of wear and tear. If possible, get a renovated room.

A good hotel close to the city centre, with car parking close by.

the bar was open in the evening but the bar staff were not always available when we entered the bar.

We had a clean comfortable room. The full Irish breakfast was good. The hotel is undergoing some building and refurbishment but this didnt really impact our stay.

Probably the worst hotel I have ever stayed in!!

Noisy under Reno but should be a demo frayed carpets dirty mouldy mattress in lobby of forth floor room carpet filthy as well as hallways. Jackhammer rocking bldg until 530 pm. Overall a dump!!

The room was newly furnished and very comfortable.

Very noisy air-con unit in corridor which coild be heard in our room and bathroom extractor could not be switched off. The hotel had to be aware of this issue as it was so loud. On checking out receptionist did not interact or ask about our stay.

The room was newly furnished and very comfortable.

Bed was comfortable.

Noisy street. Near the docks. No set down area to drop off bags; had to park illegally. Car park quite a walk away. Woken by seagulls at 4.30am followed by machinery at 5.30am. Renovations are in progress so currently the hotel is a bit grotty. Car parking was discounted but not included as Booking.com lead me to believe. Lift very slow.

Bed was comfortable. Room was clean. Breakfast options were great and reasonably priced. Staff were friendly; doing their best under the circumstances. Bar area is quiet and large.

Located just below Eyre square, did our first week ,laundry ...

Under renovation so at first glance we were terrified to go in

Located just below Eyre square, did our first week ,laundry as they send it out for 15 euro, very friendly staff

Adequate hotel. Do not purchase breakfast.

Would not recommend breakfast as much better breakfasts at lower prices can be purchased nearby. Hotel is undergoing much needed renovation.

Location was good. Hotel gave discount on nearby garage parking. Restaurants in walking distance. Very near train station. Room attendants were good.

enjoyable stay, adequete for what we required, needs updating

Enjoyed our stay,however the Hotel is very dated and old fashioned, the Bar is drab and very dull, needs urgent attention.

liked the room, nice views, clean bright and airy and hotel very convenient location, central.

I was not informed of the construction taking place in the...

I was not informed of the construction taking place in the hotel prior to my arrival. I was woken at 8am by hammering and drilling outside my room door. This was infuriating as I had planned a sleep in as checkout was not until 12pm. When I complained at reception, there was no manager in the hotel to speak with me. I was not happy with how my complaint was dealt with.

Lovely place

Seagulls outside the windows, so much noise! I understand that's out of the staffs control though.

Great location, the staff were lovely and quick. Rooms were comfy and the slightly later check out of 12pm gave us an extra opportunity to get ready for the day.

Good location, decent breakfast

Noisy major construction, twice the cleaning staff entered our room while we were present without knocking, beds were hard.

Good location, decent breakfast

Not the place for a good nights sleep.

Was under construction, work started early and created lots of noise. Room was warm, no AC. Room faced a corner so got the noise from vehicles accelerating on the corner. Staff in restaurant were helpful, but was a really uninspired cold breakfast. Also, parking is three blocks away. Be prepared to drop off bags and then drop off car some distance away. Finally parking is not free, but costs ~8Euro for one night.

Best feature is location.

Great location with friendly staff

Parking is off-site and not really close, however typical of older CBD hotels

Great location with particularly helpful receptionist. Had a triple room with lots of space

We were apprehensive when we saw the outside but when we...

All good

We were apprehensive when we saw the outside but when we arrived at the front desk the staff and the atmosphere were all wonderful and lovely. Our room was clean and comfortable, even the pillows. The food was good.

Dreadfull. Wish we hadn't.

Reception is a dingy black hole with a worn out bar area next to it. We booked for 2 nights but left after one and couldn't get away fast enough. The receptionist was sullen and miserable, in keeping with her surroundings. The bedroom had peeling wallpaper, loose fitting carpet and there was black mold in the shower/bathroom. The dining area where breakfast is served is also similarly unloved.

Frankly, nothing.

Older hotel that is being remodeled with great rooms, good staff and great location

Parking was a problem and was a little expensive but it’s the middle of a good size city so not surprising.

The room had been recently renovated and was beautiful. Much nicer than I expected. The location was perfect.

EXCELLENT LOCATION AND SPACIOUS COMFORTABLE ROOM.

No hairdryer in room which was advertised. One member of staff on reception was not overly helpful/friendly. Scaffolding in front of hotel.

Beds were lovely and comfortable. Room was spacious. Newly decorated. Issues i.e. no TV remote and needed more milk in room, were sorted very quickly.

Our stay was a last minute decision to catch up with family in Galway , and the Victoria.was ideal

Nothing ,,,

From the time we arrived each member of staff was so helpful ,, our room was clean fresh and bed was so comfy , the breakfast buffet was outstanding ,and the full Irish was outstanding ,, can’t wait to return ,,,

Overall great spot renovations will easily get them the perfect 10 score

There was some damage in the room but as they are being renovated we were happy to get over it with no fuss . no prior warning of ongoing works and noise disturbance from before 9am not ideal after a great night out in Galway but still would not deter us again .

The Staff were so accommodating and very helpful no matter what we asked for they assisted to their best ability. The hotel is under going an overhaul which is needed but still not to be faulted and when complete will increase the business but hopefully staff and cost will remain similar as this certainly adds to an overall experience. Definitively a hidden gem

A really nice place to stay without compromising location on a town as nice as Galway!

Location is amazing for this property in Galway, really near everything without being in the center of it. Parking was really affordable for an overnight stay and located very close.