Reviews of The Villa Rose Hotel & V-Spa 4 stars

Main Street, Ballybofey, Ireland

#4 of 7 hotels in Ballybofey

The cleanliness , the friendly staff and the excellent food
    • Double or Twin Room

We were in room 325 the disabled friendly room. There was no chair on the shower. The only other issue was that we were unable to open the windows in the night due to the noise of the extractor fans and the room had no air conditioning.

The cleanliness , the friendly staff and the excellent food

It wasnt the worst
    • Double or Twin Room

Booked a Double room and the room itself was huge but our Bed was tiny it had to be a small double, for 2 adults it wasnt ideal it wasnt much bigger than a single bed... seen other rooms family were staying in which were the same price i paid but with beds 10x the size... No aircon in the rooms and walls paper thin.

Food was lovely and most staff friendly. The bathroom was lovely. The hotel its self is lovely but soom rooms are more up to date than others. The 'Atmospheric Manager' a bit ignorant and rude.

Excellent wi fi .

Excellent wi fi ...Breakie and dinner very nice..I had a small issue with my bill from a previous stay and the staff sorted it with any fuss ...Thank you for that

Always heard good reports but wasn’t overly impressed at all
    • Double or Twin Room

•No view at all from any rooms •Gaelic football pitch (stadium) at the back of the hotel •Drinks over priced •The hotel is more or less in a back alley way off the main street in ballybofey therefore not great location therefore no view. •Staff (bar woman) was very suspicious of the fact that i asked for a pint glass of ice and confronted me about it when i was going to bed (which was embarrassing). The hotel actually provided a large bottle of ballygowan water which was not refrigerated in our room therefore needed the ice, they were insinuating that i was drinking alcohol purchased from outside of the hotel which was not the case it was a Sunday night and was there to just chill out, i wasn’t drinking.

•The dinner was nice •Entertainment in the bar (the Cavanagh brothers) was excellent

Nice hotel with friendly staff
    • Double or Twin Room

There was no aircon in room and i was unbearably hot though reception kindly gave us fan but it was too noisy to keep on at night. Was disappointed with breakfast as there was cream in porridge which I didn't realise and scrambled egg was swimming in milk....bacon quite greasy.

The staff were really friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much bother especially in restaurant.

Lovely hotel with wonderful staff. Let down by the Restaurant
    • Double or Twin Room

Let down by Restaurant food quality. Had dinner there but food was just terrible. Didn’t go back for breakfast. It’s a real pity as the rest of the Hotel is wonderful.

Staff all so friendly, helpful and professional. Lovely location. Fantastic big clean room with all you would expect from a 4-Star Hotel. Large bathroom with great shower and nice toiletries. Nice bar area. Lots of free parking.

It was very clean and wooden floors in bedroom were great.
    • Double or Twin Room

We expected more from the food given the price for the stay. Unfortunately there was a wedding on both nights of our stay and we were kept awake by the music. Toiletries/products in bathroom were lacking, for example there was no conditioner or lotion and the quality was poor.

It was very clean and wooden floors in bedroom were great.

Comfortable, receptionist could if been more inviting, welcoming, needs improved

Booked the hotel via booking.com, secured my room with my CC, pay at the hotel. Arrived at the hotel and the recepionist would not accept my cash without my CC. I was at a wedding, didn't have my card with me, only had cash, I asked why was this and it was hotel policy so they say. I was made to feel so embarrassed as there was a line of people behind me. I had to ask a close friend if he had his CC ad thankfully he did so we had to use that. Not a very nice thing to happen. I thought that once you secured your booking I could pay at the hotel like I have dine in Liverpool, Glasgow, London etc no issues what so ever.

Food, Staff at the wedding

The pillows were so bad I never slept a wink, the hotel is...
    • Double or Twin Room

The pillows were so bad I never slept a wink, the hotel is so dated have they ever heard of a paint brush the staff were great but all in all I won’t be staying again

Spoiled by excessive noise during the night.
    • Double or Twin Room

Reason for low mark was the noise in our bedroom. Hotel was hosting a wedding and our room 330 was in a small annex surrounded by wedding guests. The noise from the other rooms went on until 0530 hrs. Laughing, singing, slamming doors etc. I fully understand guests were having a nice time but hotel should make more effort to separate wedding guests from those staying for relaxation. We had almost zero sleep which totally spoiled what should have been a nice break.

Generally hotel was good. Food was excellent and staff very nice and friendly.

We enjoyed our stay so much we booked again before leaving
    • Double or Twin Room

It said when booking there were refreshments on arrival- none were offered and a spa service was free again we were not asked if we wanted to avail of this offer

Great staff we enjoyed the music in the wee bar really relaxing the food was second to none

Great stay
    • Double or Twin Room

Had a great stay, the staff were friendly. Evening meal and breakfast was lovely. The room was very clean and bed was so comfortable. The location was great aswell. Will definitely return cannot fault our experience.

very enjoyable this was our fourth stay and we will stay again in the future
    • Double or Twin Room

I know we were there mid week but we would have liked some music in the bar it makes all the differance

my wife is on the small size so the bed was a bit high for her we like soft pillows but our pillows were very hard that was our only complaint.

Great night away would 100% visit again
    • Double or Twin Room

Not much to say although the rooms were separated with thin walls

Spa and room was up to standard and having a bath was the the best feature of the room

Had a really good overnight stop . Would definitely return but it can be difficult to get a weekend
    • Double or Twin Room

only to mention that fruit salad at breakfast was turning a little brown. All else was great

we loved everything about the hotel. Staff in all areas were very friendly and efficient. We dined in the hotel and the food was excellent, Breakfast the following morning was very good . There was only one point I would make was that the fruit salad at breakfast was turning a little brown but hot food was hot on good warm plates too. Music in the bar at night was good . Over all a very good time

Enjoyed the break as it was my husbands birthday, they left him a complimentary box of Chocs. Thanks
    • Double or Twin Room

The reception staff could have been nicer, the room had one small window out the back, and other guests had been smokers as we had seen the evidence for ourselves, there was cigarette butts on the flat roof and a lighter. Not nice, as we are NON smokers. The breakfast staff were so rushed they didn't have time to talk or greet. There was no breakfast menu so we didn't know you could order from the kitchen. There were a few noisy guests on the corridor in the middle of the morning. The Spa could give guests a better rate for their treatments

The room was lovely and clean, very spacious. The staff at Farrs restaurant were lovely very helpful. They mad a mistake on our food order and gave us complimentary drinks each. Which was good, to admit they made a mistake and corrected it and complimentary drink. Thanks for the honesty.

Ok but won’t be rushing back
    • Double or Twin Room

Room was far too warm, and windows were quadruple glazed and the way the window opened it wouldn’t remain open because of the heavy curtains - it was not a comfortable night sleep, mentioned this to reception when I was checking out and it was kind of laughed off.

The staff were very friendly, the food was good and reasonably priced.

lovely hotel, friendly staff, clean and rooms are lovely

I got room service for breakfast, it was not good, toast was hard and over cooked and the fry was cold. Breakfasts are always nice in resturant, so wont be paying 10 euro for room service again.

everything
    • Double or Twin Room

Great hotel everything was lovely only thing I will suggest was need more entertainment, the bars around it aren’t great it would keep people in hotel instead of venturing out,no1 showed for the entertainment during our Sunday night stay bit of a let down as ended up having an early night, had there of been entertainment would have stayed up for it

everything

Pleasant and relaxing
    • Double or Twin Room

Having to book and pay for the spa. . First time this has happened and we have had quite a few spa breaks . Happy to pay for treatments but as a resident would have like to go to the spa at any time .

Restaurant .

The Wee Bar was very nice and the food in the bar was...
    • Double or Twin Room

Bed and pillows not the most comfortable, plus bed is quite high - not great if you're a bit on the short side :-(

The Wee Bar was very nice and the food in the bar was excellent.

I had a fantastic stay from start to finish I couldn’t fault...
    • Double or Twin Room

I had a fantastic stay from start to finish I couldn’t fault anything ! The food was incredible and the staff were so nice! I can’t wait to visit here again

Nice hotel.

Nice hotel. The wifi wouldnt work for me, Kept dropping the connection. Breakfast was excellent as was dinner. Very good chefs they have employed

I loved my stay at the villa rose my room was excellent great size and value for money.
    • Double or Twin Room

The continental breakfast could be more visable the wee bar had no atmosphere although there wasn’t that many people in the WiFi was terrible I was supprised at this as the hotel is of high standard. The walk we had from the wee bar to our room was long and confusing at times as we took a lift and took us a minute to think were in the wrong part of the hotel

The croissants were small could be bigger although tasty. the cooked breakfast was good very tasty although no soda bread or potato bread. The bed was extremely comfortable the hotel was very clean throughout. I will definitely recommend this hotel i stayed with my wife as an anniversary surprise and as soon as she walked into reception she felt special and I couldn’t be happier i will be back to visit.

Fabulous !!! 👍

I liked everything 😂

The food was excellent for us both . It's been a very long time since I've had such a fantastic & tasty meal. Clean plates all round. Staff were brilliant. I could not praise the hotel enough and will be recommending it to all my friends. 100%

Staff was very friendly, bar staff were very friendly and...
    • Double or Twin Room

When booking the room it said there would be a bath in the room so was disappointed when there was only a disabled shower.

Staff was very friendly, bar staff were very friendly and polite. The bed and pillows were very comfortable.

The staff were extremely helpful.

It is hard to think of anything - the pleasantest hotel stay I have had for some time.

The staff were extremely helpful. The hotel itself had everything I could wish for - good car parking, tourist information about everything interesting in the area, great food, a comfortable room, etc.

Excellent hotel ,facilities were wonderful,The reception...

I personally dislike buffet breakfast but there was a fresh option.

Excellent hotel ,facilities were wonderful,The reception staff were really helpful and knowledgeable really made you feel at home.Rooms Were spacious and warm .The food was of great quality and reasonably priced.

The room was large, quiet, well appointed and very...
    • Double or Twin Room

Someone having sex in the next room very late at night. Luckily (for me) it didn't last very long and I could go back to sleep.

The room was large, quiet, well appointed and very comfortable -- the bathroom alone was probably as large as some of the rooms I stayed in!

Did not have 'Full Irish' breakfast but the porridge...
    • Double or Twin Room

Location of Hotel - poor and difficult to find. Internal structure (between rooms and restaurant) - very poor. The bedroom flooring (laminate) whilst very practical was noisy. Bathroom fit-out was cheap (compared to other hotels of the same standard). The price clearly includes the use of Spa but makes a Bed and Breakfast (only) stay expensive for the quality of product offered - my mistake.

Did not have 'Full Irish' breakfast but the porridge was the best I had over five hotels (the four previous hotels were in Northern Ireland). The staff in the restaurant were pleasant and very eager to please. Bedroom / En-suite - both were a good size.

Will never be back in this hotel worst experience ever!!!!!
    • Double or Twin Room

Our room was at an entrance door which banged all night. We were on a floor where wedding guests raced about until 6 am shouting using foul language and trying to get into our room. We were supposed to stay 3 nights but left after 2. Still waiting on manager to get in touch with us 4 days on. Would recommend checking where your room is before booking. Ask about weddings events on etc.

Breakfast overall excellent

Resteraunt amazing, hotel not so great
    • Double or Twin Room

First room we where out into was like Grandmas house, severely dated and right beside the extractor fan for a Chinese takeaway! Only when demanded money back where we moved room.

Manager in Farahs resteraunt is by far the best employee they have, she is the sole reason this is not a negative review. Give her a massive pay rise.

Short stay, good sleep & breakfast, no complaints.

there was a pool available to use, however it is located down the street in another hotel so I didn't use it.

Nice comfortable bed, wooden floors were lovely and showed how clean the room was. the shower was great in the morning and breakfast was really delicious, food was fresh, tasty and there was plenty of it.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

Relaxed comfortable and fun
    • Double or Twin Room

The car parking spaces were a bit tight

We enjoyed the hotel and surrounding area convenient to different locations. Very relaxed and comfortable all the staff we met were more than helpful it was what my daughter and I were looking for - somewhere we could contact and get caught up.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

Comfy nice breakfast but disappointed with not being able to swim
    • Double or Twin Room

Had to use pool at sister hotel and couldn't due to not being that we needed swimming caps. Didn't feel I should buy one as I was a hotel guest.

Room was good

Lovely hotel.
    • Double or Twin Room

Asked for quite room. Asked for fan as no air con and we had our 1 year old with us. And asked for wooden cot not a play pen. And got none... room 319 has no air con. And the windows are hard open because curtin are in the way. It's a stuffy room even with heat off.

Clean.. staff friendly.

Great hotel
    • Double or Twin Room

We drove for 6 hours and were exhausted. A wedding was on and we were over the reception room. A lot of noise there. Staff were very apologetic though.

Beautiful, central, clean

Great hotel with good facilities but the staff are the USP here!
    • Double or Twin Room

The room was very warm but the staff were able to provide a fan which helped. Also, not having a pool is a shame for such a large hotel.

The staff in Villa Rose couldn't have been nicer and the room was catered to our needs providing an additional bed and travel cot.

Villa Rose had very spacious rooms very central to...
    • Double or Twin Room

Treatments in spa are quite expensive. I had the facial it was good but i think over priced especially when there isnt that many spa facilities. After an half an hour i was bored and i still had another hour before my treatment.

Villa Rose had very spacious rooms very central to Ballyboefy itself. I couldn't fault the hotel although the spa facilities are ok other than a jacuzzi, tropical shower steam room and foot spa are thats all there is.

Short spa break at The Villa Rose.
    • Double or Twin Room

The spa facilities are excellent. Food in the restaurant also first class. Staff are very friendly and approachable. Overall a great experience with my friend.

Beautiful hotel but nothing much in the town itself.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The food. The breakfast was magnificent so much choice but the dinner in the bar was horrible and we waited over an hour although the waiter dealing with us was so apologetic and gave us free dessert and a drink although that didnt sort out our terrible dinner situation....i went to bed starving.

The beds were so comfy, staff so friendly and so accomadating.

Our stay in the Villa Rose
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The rooms were very warm at night and leaving the windows open was not an option as there was too much traffic noise A/C in the rooms would solve this problem.

The staff were very friendly. The rooms were comfortable and clean.

Very satisfied customer.

It would be great if the spa facilities were open to guests with booking a treatment.

I found the staff here exceptional. Very attentive, pleasant and professional. Breakfast was well made and good quality. I would definitely recommend this place. Even though I needed to be in Letterkenny it was worth the drive to Ballybofey to stay (having stayed in Letterkenny the week before in an awful hotel).

Ideal second visit.
    • Double or Twin Room

Excellent location ,for travel ideally situated for Giants causeway,visit to beautiful Derry and of course scenic Donegal. Ballybofey lovely town nice wander.

Terrible stay at the Villa Rose Hotel
    • Double or Twin Room

Spa wasn't great. People that have paid to stay in the hotel have to pay to use the spa also. Too dear for all that is offered. Beds were uncomfortable. Too warm. Could hear noise all night. No atmosphere with the place at all!!

The food was lovely in this hotel

Perfect
    • Double or Twin Room

I personally would have preferred softer pillows, this is the only negative comment I would have to say.

The staff were fabulous, very welcoming and friendly. My husband and I travelled with my parents and we had dinner in the restaurant and two in our party didn't want starters, however, when the starters arrived the waitress also brought 2 tiny cups with a taster of the soup the others had ordered. I thought this was a lovely gesture. We have travelled a lot and this is the first time this has happened.

Not what I expected
    • Double or Twin Room

Hotel room not that clean and not even a glass of ice was allowed up stairs to the room to put into water as the rooms were too hot and was an uncomfortable nights sleep as it was clamy. View was looking onto a roof and football pitch which wasn't great as we were woke up quite early In the morning when a football match started.

Food was nice

brilliant stay
    • Double or Twin Room

I found that the entrance into the car park of the hotel was quite small, if my car has of been bigger it may have been a problem to get in

i loved the layout of the hotel and the cleanliness. I would definitely recommend this hotel and I will definitely stay again

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

A very enjoyable stay at a quality hotel with the the food and service superb!
    • Double or Twin Room

Nothing apart from it would helpful for visitors with cars to be redirected to the rear car park and not through a very narrow entrance at the front of the hotel on the Main Street.

The hotel was located in the middle of the town,so it was easy to get about.the food and the service was also very good and the staff were extremely helpful!

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

Excellent night we all had a lovely night and my granddaughter who is 3 loved it .

Breakfast to 11 would be nice l enjoy a lie in .

Requested a room which hotel facilitated with no problems. Food in bar lounge was excellent . Service was very good . Nice clean hotel!!!!!!

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

I have stayed here before for a spa treatment but this time was just to chill. Enjoyed it very much
    • Double or Twin Room

I disliked having to walk to the other hotel to go swimming but just a small dislike

The meal was absolutely delicious. The reception staff are so helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Best place to stay in Ballybofey.

Difficult to get to receptiom from the main street.If you wanted to read in bed you needed excellent eyesight.Lighting poor and switches too far from the bed.

Except for below,everything.

Receptionist was welcoming and chatty.

Arrived late and not being familiar with location went to door on street which was closed up and so I was a little worried about my choice. However a passer by sent me round and I was very impressed with reception area and everything else.

Receptionist was welcoming and chatty. Bed really comfortable.

I liked most things about the hotel.
    • Double or Twin Room

I didn't like the face I had to pay for the spa, I don't mind having to pay for the spa treatments but not just the use of the spa.

I liked most things about the hotel.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

The hotels lovely
    • Double or Twin Room

The hotel was brilliant only problem for myself was they don't cater other than two dishes for dinner for vegetarian/vegans !! Zero vegan dishes .....Breakfast was beans on toast ☹️

The hotels lovely Spas great Foods good Nice n clean xx

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

Very relaxing
    • Double or Twin Room

Dinner was very slow on first evening however vast improvement on the 2nd evening. We had a residents menu with a great choice and selection.

Beautiful hotel everything was top notch. Bedroom was very clean and bed comfortable. Staff were more than friendly and helped with any enquiries. Will defo return.

Huge hotel lies behind small main street entrance
    • Double or Twin Room

Friendly staff. Spotlessly clean. Evening meal in the restaurant was excellent although it did take some time for our food to arrive as they were very busy. Good breakfast. Overall a most enjoyable experience.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

the staff very friendly, the rooms comfortable and warm,...
    • Double or Twin Room

bed uncomfortable and pillows too hard

the staff very friendly, the rooms comfortable and warm, showers excellent , very clean ,lovely hotel, excellent breakfast.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

Happy customer, will visit again
    • Double or Twin Room

The lift from the spa to my room wasn't working at the time, as I was in a robe I had to walk past reception to get to my room.

Staff were really friendly esp Megan in the Spa

• Reviewed: 12 January 2017

Awesome hotel and staff!!!
    • Double or Twin Room

Nothing everything was great.

I booked this hotel for my parents and they came home raving about it. Said the staff where fantastic couldn't do enough for them. The food was beautiful and great value for money. The rooms where warm and cosy. Said it was like home from home made to feel extremely welcome.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

Ruined Special Birthday Weekend
    • Double or Twin Room

Advertised as a Spa Hotel, not a Spa hotel ! Basically you have to book hour long slots at €25 or €15 per hour if you are a resident to visit the thermal suite which is supposed to be the Spa and it is only open 10am to 6pm on some days, not what you expect when you book a couple of days at a Spa hotel !

Friendly waiting and reception staff

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

NOT A 4 STAR HOTEL
    • Double or Twin Room

BED ROOM DARK AND UN INVITING. OFFERED ANOTHER ROOM IT HAD A SMELL OF CIGARETTE SMOKE IT IT. BOOKED FOR 3 NIGHTS STAYED FOR 1. THE HOTELS STAR RATING IS NOT A TRUE REFLECTION OF THE STANDARD OF THE HOTEL

STAFF WERE HELPFUL

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Brilliant stay in Ballybofey.
    • Double or Twin Room

No bars of soap in bathroom but plenty of liquid soap. Pillow too deep for me but this is strictly a personal preference.

Clean modern hotel.Comfortable spacious rooms.Really tasty breakfasts.Staff very helpful. PLenty of parking space.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Beautiful wedding venue
    • Double or Twin Room

Room very cold, function room very cold. Staff in bar seemed inexperienced. Some people charged €12 for wifi while others got it for free.

Room beautifully decorated. Excellent wedding venue.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

Great value for money, family friendly.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Maybe they could do a cook to order breakfast rather than buffet, I found a lot of breakfast items over cooked and in edible.

The atmosphere was very relaxing. And staff where extremely friendly

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

Short stay.
    • Double or Twin Room

Bacon at breakfast was very salty,couldn't eat it, orange juice tasted synthetic and you should not have to make your own toast in a 4* hotel..

Restaurent food and wine, all staff were fabulous,especially Nikki the young gentleman in the bar and restaurent. Room was spotless and comfortable

• Reviewed: 4 December 2016

Great Food and service but would not return
    • Double or Twin Room

Website does not show clearly that the spa costs extra to use and must be booked in advance. This was a big disappointment as we had travelled a long way to find a hotel with a spa, and also were under the impression it included a swimming pool.

Breakfast was delicious and service was very good.

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

Everything was amazing except the evening meal which was a pity because everything else was 1stclass
    • Double or Twin Room

The evening meal wasn't great the fillet steak was very fatty and the steak I ordered in the 50/50 was suppose to b well done but was very pink,almost raw and the service was slow we sat almost three quarters of a hr b4 we got our starter I think they 4 got to order it

Almost everything the spa treatments were lovely and the jacuzzi was amazing will definitely be coming back again for that. The breakfast was also amazing.

• Reviewed: 22 November 2016

Lovely little place with friendly helpful staff.

Maybe need a swimming pool :) the spa is a bit limited for what you get for the price.Some improvements could be made

Lovely little place with friendly helpful staff. Staff in the spa and the girls there are all lovely. Rooms clean and good location

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

Served its purpose but very expensive
    • Double or Twin Room

I couldn't get a disabled parking space so had trouble getting my son out if the car. Also had to book 2 rooms as no family rooms do worked out very expensive. Asked about food options when checking in and receptionist could not show bar or restaurant menus to make the choice. Also receipts for wifi out in with keys but not explained - price was on receipt so I didn't realise the wifi was free - thought would be charged 18'or 26 if I used the codes. If the receptionist had just taken 2 minutes to explain the experience would have been better.

Location was what I needed and beds were comfy

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

A bit let down
    • Double or Twin Room

The prices are very high for drinks at bar, rooms very clean but very cold , being November rooms where cold till the heating came on until 6pm and no heating on in the morning for getting up in the morning.

The Hotel is very handy for the town and churches, Banks, shops, very friendly people.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

Noisy, cold week-ends.

The hotel is very nice and well set up, but the rooms where very cold , with this being November the heating didn't come on until 6 pm and was not on in the morning for getting up, the shower kept going hot then cold. the food was not as good as it used to be, Very noisy hotel more so at week-ends .

A well located hotel in the town handy for shops and banks.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

Top spot for a romantic night away with the other half
    • Double or Twin Room

Bed (Great spring) Shower (Plenty of room for activities) Views (Great views from bedroom window) All in all this is a top spot for a romantic night away with the other half.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Horrific experience!
    • Double or Twin Room

I have never experienced customer service like it!we alongside another two couples were subjected to an aggressive and threatening member of staff where he refused to serve us alcohol until 2.30 and wen he did he threw our food of the table and slammed our drinks down. Following this he became very intimidating where he targeted a member of our group and threatened him in the presence of three girls. Management was shocking where he laughed alongside the member of staff and failed to offer any apology for the unacceptable behaviour of his staff!very scary to think what would have happened!

Breakfast was delicious however was no one to seat us when arrived

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

Well done Villa Rose

No bar food

The staff made every effort to provide us with efficient service on a very busy morning at breakfast. Kept us informed of delays and moved things along as quickly as possible.

Browse The Villa Rose Hotel & V-Spa traveller photo gallery