Reviews of The Westbury Hotel 5 stars

Grafton Street, D2 Dublin, Ireland

#8 of 136 hotels in Dublin

9.7

• Classic Room

Nothing. All was as I expected it to be based on my previous visits.

I've stayed at the Westbury a number of times over the last 20 years. The location is great, the staff are nice and helpful and the rooms are clean and comfortable. For what it offers the price is reasonable. There was building work going on but the hotel had taken care to ensure that this didn't detract from my enjoyment of the stay. This and the Shelbourne are probably the two nicest hotels in the city centre.

• Classic Room

Such a comfortable bed, with chocolate on the pillow, classical music playing.... The wow wow factor after superb cuisine..... Everyone should stay at the Westbury........

• Luxury Suite

Extremely disappointing overall. The hallway leading to our room was being painted everyday during our stay. We had to deal with our room smelling of paint. We organized a tour through the Concierge, he quoted a price which was put in writing. Upon checking out, we noticed they had charged us 220 euros more than the quoted price. Management wouldn't honor the quote and charged us the higher rate. We found the service, and accommodations very inadequate for a 5 star hotel.

• Classic Room

There is construction on the Balfe Street side of the hotel which makes entrance and exit from the hotel difficult. Upon checkout, the valet brought the car to the Balfe St. side rather than to the Clarendon side which was very awkward loading up the car for departure due to the construction. Requested that I was to be billed for the 2 reserved rooms, upon checkout my other family member was charged for his room after specifically requesting at the booking and at check in that I was to be billed for both rooms. Not what one would expect from a 5 star hotel. Better value at the Shelbourne Hotel.

Comfortable beds, very clean rooms. Turn down service at night with bedside slippers provided. Very helpful concierge service.

• Classic Room

nothing , slightly messy outside with ground works going on , but no problems at all

location was excellent , very good customer service , good was superb from brekky ,dinner & snacks , loved the sidecar cocktail lounge

• Studio Suite

Our room close to lift Works outside are a nightmare Quite noisy but probably because we were close to lift

Convenient Comfortable Lovely staff Spotless hotel Great bar

• Classic Room

There was no option to book a room with breakfast included?? And although the breakfast was very good, it was quite highly overpriced i felt.

The hotel is in an excellent location, right in the heart of Dublin City and very close to Templebar. The room and bathroom were both very nice and very clean, the bed was nice and comfortable.

• Studio Suite

No Pool or Spa facilities. Room details e.g lighting controls, AC/heating, Windows, TV, all a bit dated. Shower/tub combo, very loud drains (not sure why) etc. Large construction site currently directly outside of hotel so back entrance being used instead which detracts from overall experience.

Service/Satff excellent, all very friendly and helpful. Location is excellent, much Witjin a very short walk.

• Classic King Room

Nothing could be changed it was excellent for us.

This hotel was located in the best area for a walk about the central town area. The staff were amazing and we were well looked after. The rooms were not that large- but quite adequate for our needs. The hotel was exceptionally well appointed and the concierge team seemed to preempt what your needs were. They were great at sorting out bookings and everything else you may want answers to, We did a lot of walking from the hotel to the most interesting areas in Dublin.

• Classic Room

Construction going on in front of the hotel, but think about how beautiful it will turn at the end.:)

Concierge John and bell man were very helpful when having issues with our rental car. The bellman (sorry, did not get his name) walked down a street and pick up our “smelling burn” car and drove it to the hotel himself. Concierge John contacted the local rental company to help us switch our cars. John gave us names of great pubs and restaurants during our stay. He was of amazing help!

• Deluxe Twin Room

water didnt flow away from sink very well.

everything was excellent, food in restaurant was super. road works outside however it didnt disturb us too much.

• Classic Twin Room

Room was not what I expected for a superior twin room . Rather small and way too hot even with air conditioning on. Had filled up the email I got re our upcoming stay and had asked for birthdays which I had entered but must not have been looked at as it was my daughters birthday on the night and thought a card or note might have been left.

Dinner was lovely and location is perfect.

• Classic Twin Room

In the bathroom the shower was not free standing but in the bath itself. For older couples like ourselves tricky to get in and out of as the handles were not well placed. The plug in the cracked washand basin fell off its chain when I went to plug it in and as it didnt fit the size dropped down into the waste pipe. There was no extractor fan so the room and mirror became quite steamed up during showering. Breakfast was buffet style with a smallish range of starters and cooked to order which was excellent.In comparison with other similar hotels at 25 euros - almost £20 sterling a little overpriced. This also applied to the overall cost of the room only package at 301 euros - about £276 for the room only.

It is a beautiful hotel, in a very congested area of the city. Very grand entrance and interior almost opulent. Easy access by lift to ground floors, restuarants and bedroom. Very comfortable beds and a lot of little "extras" provided in the room. Staff were great and very helpful check in and out was very smooth. The bedroom was well fitted and comfortable with easy chairs and tea making facilities. In the restaurant my wife had an excellent fish dish, I had a traditional burger which was rather tough. The service was good though and served in time for us to leave for the theatre.

• Classic Room

I had no faults during my stay.

The staff were amazing, made the whole experience better. So polite, friendly, helpful, could not fault one thing. The hotel itself is fabulous, I will be returning... an unforgettable stay.

• Classic Room

The bathroom was rather tired with a basic shower over the dated bathtub, but I gather the rooms are being upgraded shortly so I'm sure they will be brought up to date! Otherwise, nothing comes mind!

Lovely friendly staff - the doorman was so helpful and whisked our bags up to reception, announcing our name for a quick check-in. The bed was ultra comfortable. The public areas were amazing, particularly the bar (first floor) which was stunning and great service.

• Classic Room

The car park cost a fortune. We were told that we were upgraded but the room was exactly as advertised. With breakfast not included, parking at over €27 for less than 24 hours and being doubly charged at check out this excellent hotel could try offer guests a little more value.

The food was not good on Easter Sunday Evening at all. Served only just warm and rushed but I’m guessing staff is an issue on a major holiday.

Loved the bar and Lounge

• Classic Room

Bar staff and waiting on staff (at beakfast) not quiet up to standard for a 5 star hotel. Couldn’t have a relaxing drink in evening, as the door kept being left open as people went out for a smoke, it didn’t help that it was probably the most freezing weekend of the year. Also we were expected to pay after each drinks order. This would not stop me going again, I just wouldn’t bother eating or drinking in the hotel, which is a shame.

The location was excellent. Breakfast was good. The bed was very comfy. Would stay again.

• Classic King Room

We loved everything can find no fault.

Everything it is a lovely hotel food service all the staff could not do enough in our top three hotels to return to later.

• Classic King Room with City View

I was dismissed by staff when I queried being charged more than the prominent sterling rate quoted at booking- hotel recalculated based on euro rate on the day??? This had been booked for a year! This was booked for a special birthday and hotel would not allow us to include breakfast ...standard response not offered in this type of reservation as not direct with hotel even though I contacted hotel directly

• Deluxe Room

The room was very tired, bathroom in a poor state of repair Staff did not care when I complained and showed photos, just 'sorry about that' Trainee when I checked out did not know what to do, no invoice given!

Not very much to be honest!

• Classic Room

Due to circumstances beyond the hotel's control we experienced a brief power outage and extended TV outage.

The attention to detail of all the staff was superior. Amenities were very nice. Afternoon tea wa memorable. Unfortunately we visited in the midst of a blizzard.

• Classic King Room

Hotel room and bathroom were smaller than I would have expected given the hotel rating and the cost per night. Parking was extra at €25 for one night.

Lovely hotel in a great location looking out over Grafton Street, busy, good atmosphere and a nice bar. Bed was very comfortable and room quiet despite city centre location. Staff were friendly.

• Classic King Room

When checking-out, there were multiple charges and restaurant receipts that we hadn’t made. There were two receipts without signature with out room number written but nothing else. After going through all the charges, the incorrect ones were removed so it wasn’t a problem. Just make sure to check your bill when you leave to make sure that you aren’t inaccuratly charged.

Excellent service. Staff was very accommodating and helpful.

• Classic King Room

A biscuit with the coffee machine would have been nice. The restaurant staff were a little slow and had to be called several times.

Super comfy bed and ultra clean room. The Nespresso machine was an added bonus.

• Classic Room

I requested an iron from reception and it was delivered prior to checkout. The room next door had the television on full blast until after 4am and I did not sleep at all. I reported this in feedback to the hotel and it did reply to me, but I lost a night’s sleep it the lovely room we had.

The room was ready on arrival and the staff and more than helpful and friendly. The hotel lounge serves the best French Martini around.

• Classic Room

Disappointing buffet breakfast for such a Hotel, both in diversity and quality.The breakfast menu is interesting but relatively short as well.

Great location and quiet room.

• Classic Twin Room

Very good location, allows you to move from the hotel to the city by foot. Peaceful, comfortable and clean. And the best bed I've slept on in many years!

• Classic King Room

The staff were extremely warm and welcoming from the start makes a huge difference to any stay. Gareth on reception checked us in and out and he was very friendly and chatty.

• Classic Room

The bedroom was small and the bathroom was tiny. The water had no pressure coming out of the tap in the bathroom sink. very disappointed expected more for a 5 star. 237.50 for the room with no breakfast. I did complain about the small room we were given and was told by the receptionist if I had booked through the hotel we would have got a better room and extras? So what does that say??

The location very convenient

• Classic Room

Why would anyone need a weighing scales in the bathroom of a hotel when they are away for a night or two!!!

Location& atmosphere were wonderful & really relaxing

• Classic Room

We were enjoying our expensive but lovely cocktails and a table full of loud 20 somethings sat beside us. Although the staff moved us to a lovely table once we asked. The power in the shower wasn't great.

Bed was comfy staff were excellent.

• Classic King Room

This is the smallest room we have ever stayed in in the Westbury. We usually get a larger room or are kindly upgraded as we come every year for anniversary as it’s where we got engaged. I found that for the price of the room, it wasn’t of brilliant standard, nor was it very special.

The atmosphere, food was amazing and little touches were lovely as it was our anniversary.

• Classic King Room

I was surprised that the deluxe bedroom room had a bath/ shower and thought it was a bit sloppy and it was a bit of a mission showering in the bath. Plus there was no bath mat inside bath to help maintain a grip. There were good bars to use for a steadying grip but I felt this let the bedroom down a bit. Only a minor detail but could have been more than that if either of us had slipped.

The location - literally a few steps away from the buzz of Grafton Street - the professionalism and friendliness of the staff, the comfort of the bedroom room and the good atmosphere in the public areas.

• Classic Room

Superior room - didn’t see anything superior about it, view was out the back of the property looking into buildings. Room seemed small and a little tired looking. No pool or Spa facility which I would expect of a 5 star hotel

Customer service, comfort, location

• Classic King Room

The rooms are lovely but a few more lights in the main room would have been good! Or lights at the mirror for ease when doing hair/make up.

The location is perfect for shopping and all amenities. The hotel itself is comfortable and friendly. There is a very good bar and various restaurant choices.

My stay was too short.

Super friendly staff, a lounge to die for and crystal glasses in the bedroom. Second visit and I won't stay anywhere else in Dublin.

• Classic Room

The hotel was very busy over the Christmas and the bar area you had to wait to be seated, 3 times we asked for a seat and other people brought in ahead of us despite us residents. staff attitude very poor in comparison to the other Hotels in this calibre.

• Classic Room

the staff were so welcoming and friendly. we were newlyweds and they surprised us with a complimentary bottle of prosecco. it was a lovely touch. Hotel location is superb.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Classic King Room

I loved everything about this hotel. The staff deserve an award for excellence.

The staff at the westbury are excellent they couldn't be more helpful.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Studio Suite

very weak wifi. most of the time no connections, despite pleas to maintenance and reception and concierge, basically anyone who would listen.

super location just off grafton street

• Classic Twin Room

So busy - couldn't get in the restaurant or book afternoon tea, and had to wait to get a seat in the bar. Seems to be no capacity for hotel guests unless you book in advance. Disappointed and not what we expected.

Staff are very polite, attentive and helpful. Very pretty decor for Christmas.

There was construction on the street in front of the hotel and there is a lively pub across from the hotel as well. Sometimes you could hear when they were throwing the bottles away late at night.

We had breakfast in the lobby as well as the beautiful veranda :) Great service and great food. The beds and the pillows were comfortable. Everything 5 stars, a bit on the expensive side. A splurge but worth it.

• Classic Room

The bathroom was very small. You had to close the door to use the sink.

The staff couldn’t do enough for us. It was my partners birthday and they left a surprise in the room for him.

• Classic Twin Room

Bit hard to find a seat in concourse. Too many people using it as an office , having bought one cup of coffee. Felt as a resident this was a bit off

Location location. Decor. Buzz.

• Classic Room

Slight delay on checking out but only because it was busy. Next time we'll see if there is express check out available.

Staff Were so professional. Second to None! lovely atmosphere.

• Deluxe Twin Room

I had booked the room with a view to using it to my sister and bridal party to change and relax before her hen party that eve. I let the hotel know I hoped to get the room as early as possible in the day. I was assured they would make every effort to make the room available. Despite being told it would be 3pm latest, I had to return to reception on several occasions to query whether the room was available. Finally on the 3rd or 4th attempt and closer to 4pm than to 3pm I was told my room was ready. It had gotten so late we had to do a quick change in the bathroom, while our room was prepared (far from ideal!!). When the rest of our party got to the room no luggage. The hotel provided a bottle of prosecco by way of an apology for the delay however I believe given the poor communication and failure to meet the 3pm check in that a discount should have been applied to our stay.

• Classic Room

Breakfast not included in the room rate and expensive at €30 per person Car parking also not included in the room rate Two Superior rooms booked but they were quite small and bathrooms were very small We were also located beside the elevators so could here all the traffic going up and down

Location is excellent..... Hotel decor is sumptuous...... Staff very friendly and helpful Will return to stay again for the location and atmosphere alone Cocktail bar was gorgeous and prices not excessive given it’s a 5 star

Blown light bulbs

Irish run hotel staff excellent nothing too much trouble No problem with checking or out Only problem bulbs not working in bedroom in two of lamps Otherwise excellent

• Classic King Room

Price of food and drink is on the high side but to be expected for such a luxurious hotel

Great location - comfy bed - good places to chill out. Helpful staff

• Deluxe Twin Room

Staff was very welcoming upon our arrival. Room was spacious, beds were very comfortable. Dinner and breakfast were amazing. We were in Dublin for a stopover and didn't have time to explore the area - next time! We'll be back.

• Classic King Room with City View

I think for 400 euro's a night it should definitely include breakfast. Bedrooms could do with a bit of updating, ours was small and could be a bit more luxurious. Rooms were very hot and this is at the end of October,

I think for 400 euro's a night it should definitely include breakfast.

• Classic King Room with City View

A few more families staying in this 5 star hotel with VERY young children than I would have anticipated. The breakfast was a bit confusing, not knowing what exactly was included, there seemed to be almost too many choices.

Beautiful public areas, large bars, restaurants, great flowers. Totally updated rooms, staff is very attentive. Perfect central location to all of Dublin. Concierge was very helpful with restaurant reservations.

• Deluxe Twin Room

As always the superb attentive staff are helpful to no end during your stay with any needs you may have and a wealth of knowledge on everything you want to know about Dublin and getting around or where to go/do/see etc. Clean, luxurious, central location, amazing food and drinks, wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Classic King Room with City View

Very small rooms, tiny bathroom, low quality and low-tech. Rooms aren't 5* standard but public areas of the hotel were good.

Good lounge, dining and bars. Friendly staff.

• Classic King Room with City View

The 30 euro breakfast price was the only drawback. We ate elsewhere.

The location was perfect. We had a view of Grafton Street from our window. Everything we wanted to see was within walking distance.

• Deluxe Room

Was told to book direct and receive 15% and free breakfast. Room was plain. Maybe had one of the worst rooms. Dark and nude from the systems.

Staff friendliness and attitude

• Classic Room

Lighting in bathroom Limited menu for breakfast but what they had was excellent Terrible place to get to driving Fine when walking

Positive attitude of the staff who at times were scatter by too many requests and didn't know who had done what. Great location

• Classic King Room with City View

The room was too noisey.

The Westbury would be one of the best hotels in Dublin but has some issues with rooms on the lower floors, if you want fresh air you have to put up with noise.

• Classic Room

The view was not great from the fourth floor but this did not greatly detract from the overall experience.

Possibly the most comfortable bed that I have EVER slept on. World class service in a top end hotel. All the staff were exceptional and a real credit to the Westbury brand. Only stayed one night but would have loved to have stayed longer but alas it was the end of our trip and we had to fly home.

• Classic King Room with City View

We had a very spacious suite which was great for our first few nights of jet lag as we were often up in the middle of the night at separate times. The staff are friendly and were able to recommend the best restaurants for us. The location is excellent, close to all the best shopping in Dublin. it was great to be able to walk to Trinity College in just a few minutes.

• Classic Twin Room

Expensive for what was on offer. Change of management very obvious from previous experience of this hotel. Woken in the night by guests fighting!

Location convenient for what I wanted to do

Hard to navigate to property in rental car. We had 2 rooms reserved and they put us 3 floors apart?? Elevators were slow - but stairs were great.

Excellent location for walking around Dublin, great breakfast, nice bar, helpful staff.

• Studio Suite

Truly a 5 star hotel in a location that hard to beat. The service for us was flawless as they bent over backward to accomadate our needs and wants The room was specious and well appointed though the air con ran a bit chilly. A great stay we will be back

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Classic King Room

My only gripe was the TV. The remote was on it's last legs and the picture quality wasn't the best. Fairly minor issue to be fair! Going to Dublin really shouldn't be about watching TV ;-)

To be honest the two best features are the location and the Staff. The place is very nice, the rooms are okay, very clean and comfortable but I've stayed in far better for far less. Thing is, if you want prime location with everything on your doorstep then you can't go wrong. The Staff however are fantastic, really welcoming and great to be around. It's a good place, I'll go again for sure!

• Classic King Room with City View

For business travelers who may need to get an early night I think it would be helpful to mention the noise of the street musicians. I took a room at the front on the 2nd floor and I found it difficult to relax until they stopped.

The customer service was excellent. The staff were extremely helpful.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

• Classic Room

We were waiting for a table for breakfast at the hotel restaurant. After waiting approximately 10 minutes another couple came into the restaurant without reservations and the manager immediately seated them before us. The hostess new that we were waiting and gave the manager a look but he still seated them ahead of us. The restaurant service certainly needs improvement.

The hotel facilities and room were excellent.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

• Classic Room

No value for money the room and bathroom were so small compared to the price I paid the shower had mold and the shower went from cold to scalding in a second. Rooms were NOT the star

Staff very friendly and a beautiful lobby

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

• Classic King Room

The only fault I could see was that the carpet on the stairs looked tied and worn.

Staff were attentive but not intrusive . The room was very compfortable and spotlessly cleaned. The whole hotel has a luxurious ambience about it which is complemented by the hotel layout and surroundings. The breakfast was delicious.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

• Classic Room

Room and reception staff. Terrible experience with booking and size of room and staff trying to disguise their lies. Manager tried to make up for everything with an upgrade but I would have been extremely disappointed had I paid suite prices to stay in the room they upgraded me to. The management tried to improve the stay but the initial experience ruined the weekend and also then constant phone calls to ensure all was ok, continually woke me up and disturbed the weekend. I will not stay here again.

Food

• Classic Room

Lift area very grubby, brass handrails and mirrors all hand marks and sticky on all occasions when using the lift ! First impressions going to bedrooms not great - that's from a male observation !

Good location for shopping! Lounge area very welcoming and beautiful decor!

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

• Classic Twin Room

I've been there with a friend of mine and we didn't like the service at all! Waiters were very unpolite. We asked for their special breakfast and after some time that we didn't get it we asked one of the waiters for it and her reply to our request was very rude. Breakfast is above the average.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

• Classic King Room with City View

The actual hotel was fabulous, beautiful architecture, very clean, nice room, and amenities. The location is perfect for walking around Dublin city center, and the food was delicious, especially the breakfast. However, it was the hotel staff that really made this stay wonderful! Everyone was welcoming, attentive, and helpful, from the front desk to the irreplaceable concierge, and everyone in-between.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

Leaving.

Afternoon tea and champagne. Attentiveness of staff. Comfortable bed, no noise even though room was at the front of the hotel facing the street. Always a pleasure to stay here.

Leaving

Wonderful welcome, with valet parking, and reception staff were so friendly and professional. Had afternoon tea, overlooking Grafton Street, which was lovely. Great location in the heart of the city, with plenty of bars and restaurants within short walking distance, but without disturbance. Can't wait to get back!