Reviews of Uppercross House Hotel 3 stars

26-30 Upper Rathmines Road, D6 Dublin, Ireland

#67 of 136 hotels in Dublin

Fantastic staff everyone was so friendly and professional.the food was excellent. Having parking on site for the location was very handy I would definitely visit again

The exterior of the building was dirty and rundown looking, and we worried what the interior would be like. The young woman checking us in provided a cold welcome, not friendly, didn’t smile once...disappointing.The room was just ok which was disappointing especially based on the almost $300 Cnd per night! We had a view of a cement wall and were kept awake by extremely loud music from the pub.

The pub and restaurant was very convenient for dinner and the food was good. The young woman who checked us out in the morning was lovely. She was very friendly, engaging with lots of smiles, and extremely helpful. The young man behind the desk was also very friendly.

No compaints

Comfortable hotel. Location is just okay. Taxi rank just across the road. Breakfast is good (Full English). If you prefer continental, then you'll get croissants, fruit, jam, marmalade, etc. Room service was efficient and the meal exceeded my expectations.

• Classic King Room

Our ground floor room became too hot. They provided us with an electric fan. Then moved us the next day to another ground floor room. It was doable.

The staff was accommodating. Breakfast was good. The restaurant staff was good as well.

From the second we walked in the door the staff were so happy and friendly. The rooms were really lovely and the breakfast was just delicious. The bottles of water left in our room was a lovely touch. Would highly reccommend this place. We will definitely be back.

The rooms themselves were dead on but the rest of the hotel needs a makeover. The decor is a shocking mish mash of paintings, plants and mirrors and old pieces of random furniture in the corridors and reception. This honestly would be enough to put me off returning.

The staff were friendly and pointed us in the right direction of transport to Phoenix Park as we were staying to see Ed Sheeran. Breakfast the next morning was beautiful with plenty to choose from. After leaving some items at the hotel, the staff were extremely helpful in organising for them to be sent back to me.

To move my stuff (2 suitcases and my dog crate) to the second floor I pretended to use the elevator. But it is not arriving from/to reception. Although the receptionist guy solved it, carrying that upstairs.

Clean room without carpet, better when you travel with pets. The bed so comfy, specially after a long trip. The recepcionist guy was so helpful with my stuff and so kind with my dog when she started to bark in the reception because she was so excited during the check in.

No complaints Only Praise !

All staff are so helpful and friendly Nothing is too much bother for them The hotel is extremely well run The rooms are excellent value and always clean as is the whole hotel The beer garden is exceptional The neighbourhood is perfect plenty of eateries bars shops etc Transport easy to find This is definitely a true hidden gem We shall certainly book next time we're in Dublin

Lots of steps should have used the lift.

Nice quiet room comfy beds breakfast very good will be staying there again next weekend with my husband and daughter. Looking forward to revisiting this hotel.

Nothing springs to mind.

Great staff, free and convenient parking. Room was spacious and clean, shower powerful and bed comfortable. Downstairs bar and outside seating excellent. Can’t comment on WiFi.

• Classic King Room

We had to use earplugs while sleeping because our room was facing the street which was always busy with traffic or people passing by. The hotel bar has live music and you can hear it really loudly in your room.

Cozy and friendly hotel. Staff was very helpful. Breakfast was okay.

• Classic King Room

Great hotel, wonderful friendly and helpful staff, delicious breakfast, very large room! It was a bit out of Dublin city center but we enjoyed walking.

My room was located on the ground floor, there was a significant amount of noise from the occupant in the room above mine, I could hear them clealy at night walking around and dropping things, ususally this type of thing wouldn't waken be me but it did in this occasion. The shower head leaked in the bathroom so you didn't get as good of flow as i would have liked. The coffee at breakfast wasn't hot enough for my liking. In the restaurant I had ordered an irish coffee for after my dinner, to my surprise inoticed there was was a samll piece of clear plastic in the glas, I had most of the drink taken my the time I had noticed it. I notified the waiter and he apologised and I didn't have to pay for the drink.

The hotel is quirky, the room was spacious and had all the facilities you would need in the room, bed was comfortable and clean, the hotel is located in a nice neighbourhood, 25-30min walking distanae into the city centre by foot, around €10- €12 back in a taxi, The secure car parking was great, and any staff I had delaing were corteous and polite during my stay. The beer garden was nice to sit out and have a beer and they also had a sun terrae to the front.

A little further out of city centre than we might have wished, but on a bus route so traveling around was no problem.

Staff were really helpful and friendly. We arrived early and wanted to leave our cases until room was ready in the afternoon but they were able to allocate us a room there and then. Excellent. Room was comfortable, good TV and comfortable bed. Good choice of breakfast menu. We didn't eat in the evening but menu seemed quite varied, something for everyone I would guess. Staff very helpful when it came to planning our journeys around Dublin.

There was quite a bit of parking but it helped if you finished your sightseeing early.

This was delightful hotel. It had all the amenities, including a pub, a restaurant and great public spaces where one could have a cup of coffee and read the paper.

Quite low water pressure - it was difficult to take a shower, and loud music till 1 in the bar - not what you expect for this price outside the city centre when you need to wake up at 6 am. The place looks nice, only wouldn't recommend it if you are not on holiday in Ireland

Comfortable bed

Noise from the bar below. No blackout curtains. Poor enough breakfast. Staff unfriendly.

Good location for our purpose of stay. Lots to do with good restaurants. Good parking.

My room was directly over the beer garden. It didn't trouble me as I was out of the room for the better part of the evening, but would not suit someone needing a restful night's sleep.

Very comfortable hotel in a convenient location. Staff are extremely pleasant, helpful, and go out of their way to help in any way they can. Characterful and attractive premises. Not suitable for those looking for a quiet break due to the adjoining beer garden, but great for anyone needing a convenient pied-a-terre for a city break.

The room was big and very warm with heating in the floor. The breakfast was great. They have free on-site parking. There are a lot of shops and pubs in the area. Easy access to the center.

Loved the property, the room, the food, the reception staff. One small concern...the breakfast staff were simply unwelcoming. No hellos, smiles. I even smiled to a server upon entering the breakfast room to be greeted by her looking away. Throughout my stay, rarely was there a welcoming or pleasant word from the breakfast staff. Other staff were great, though.

The space in the room and the bright din8ng rooms, with a very appropriate darker bar.

My room close to restaurant area and quite noisy at late at night.

Quite close to the center approx 3km walking distance, good public transport connection is a plus in case you miss the vivid citylife. Big plus for the cleanness of the room.

• Classic King Room

There was nothing in particular I did not like. Probably the mattress was a little bit too hard for me, but that is just a very personal comment.

Staff was super nice! Our room was tidy and quiet, I could not spot any dust or dirt. The place is about 30 minutes walking distance from city centre. Very good for whoever prefers walking instead of using public transports. Breakfast was great, lot of choice and good quality. Most likely I will book the same accommodation for a possible future stay in Dublin.

i was with my elderly Aunt and stairs to diningroom was a little problematic.

well priced,good location, good accomadation, good breakfast. I had an evening meal as well which was well priced and enjoyable. i would recommend it

• Classic King Room

The only thing I can think of is that the bathroom was unheated and therefore quite cold. But I guess that's only an issue for a couple of months per year.

The room and bed were very comfortable. Breakfast in a sort of attic-setting was good. The location in Rathmines made for a nice change to a prior night where we had stayed north of the city. There are *many* restaurants and pubs within a 5min walking distance. The pub next-door (and below) the hotel is comfortable and had a great choice of beers and whiskeys.

• Classic King Room

The rooms were not very soundproof with a lot of floor noise from the room above. The shower was a wet room concept but the shower curtain worked well to contain it

The breakfast was amazing! The staff couldn't have been more helpful. This is a heritage hotel with all the character and quirks. The pub was not an issue for noise and was very convenient for an evening meal after a long day exploring.

The room itself was a bit smaller than expected. Not the size I expected when booking a triple room.

The hotel itself was beautiful. Restaraunt/Bar was excellent. Staff went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and take care of us.

The only downside was the WiFi, which did not even reach our hotelroom-- point of improvement!

The beds were great, and the rooms (and indeed entire hotel) very clean. Location is not very near the centre, but good atmosphere in the neighbourhood and (longer) walking distance to the city centre. A big plus was the lively and friendly pub at the restaurant with great food, beer and live music! .

Nothing'

The staff is very efficient and very nice and helpful. The breakfast is great... you can have croissants,pastries, fruits and'also a real Irish breakfast. I highly recommend this hotel

Just a little further out of Dublin city centre than we are used to

Breakfast was excellent and it was good to have a bar on site with some live music at weekend

Nothing as all the boxes were ticked

Very good hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean and you had all the essential required. Breakfast was good and you had plenty of choices from cereal to a full Irish breakfast. Overall a good hotel

The hotel could have been updated, but it is very clean and the staff is excellent. I will take pet friendliness and great staff over an updated hotel.

The staff at the hotel, restaurant, and bar were delightful. Traveling with a pet can sometimes be tricky, depending on the pet-friendliness of the city. The hotel was very accommodating and pet friendly. We were right across from a grocery store and coffee shops. A 20 minute walk and one is on Grafton Street.

I dont eat cooked breakfast. Found availability of fresh fruit at breakfast limited. Location good, facilities in room good, general area a little dated but it wouldnt deter me from staying again

There is a separate area of the hotel for dog owners and smokers. The smell of smoke coming from the smoking rooms was not pleasant.

The Venezuelan female receptionist could not do enough for us. She definitely deserves a mention and unfortunately I did not get her name. Our room was spacious and comfortable. We were given Pooch Packs for our two dogs. We would eat in the pub outside and have our dogs with us which was nice.

• Classic King Room

Room was like a sauna. had to turn heating thermostat off and sleep with the windows wideopen, resulting in not much sleep due to outside noise then a very loud A/C fan came on outside around 6am also. There was also a weird smell in the hallways?

Nice room and spotless clean.

Bathrooms were quite small. Breakfast offering was basic - no cappuccino available.

Central location in the middle of Rathmines - shops and pubs all around.

• Classic King Room

Liked it all, especially the helpful staff who let us drop bags behind reception when we arrived early.

Excellent overall experience. Comfy bed and clean spacious room. Parking useful. Bus stops and taxi nearby.

Lovely, spotless, cosy Hotel, with fabulous food and lovely, smiling staff : ) Would definitely return and would also recommend, this well located Hotel, to a friend. I enjoyed a delicious evening meal on arrival, and the breakfast the following morning was also delicious, with plenty of choice etc.

The layout of the building and rooms is a bit quirky and maze-like, but that is not necessarily a drawback but a unique feature.

The room was very clean and quiet, the breakfasts were excellent, staff friendly and helpful, and perhaps one of the best features was it was right across the street from a taxi stand and bus stop, allowing quick travel to the town center. There was also a nice restaurant on site.

The water was too hot for my taste and the heating was too high at times. The beds are a bit smaller than in other similar hotels, but they averaged in comfort. I liked the ground being tiled instead of carpeted, but the stile of the tiles was not of my taste.

The place was very well maintained and very clean. The staff was very kind. The area is very convenient; a but far from the city center, but with lots of stores around and a taxi stop right across the street.

my wife is a smoker and unfortunately while they previously had more smoking rooms I believe the only now have one available. Breakfast service has changed since our last visit to complete Buffet with the fried breakfast maintained on warmer stoves. I preferred the previous arrangement where the fry was delivered hot and fresh from the kitchen.

Uppercross is a small hotelbut we have stayed there are number of occasions because it is very convenient. There is underfloor heating in the bedrooms which is unusual and we have are found clean and comfortable.

Due to the marathon it cost more than normal, but I guess that’s the same with every hotel

The hotel had everything you needed, free breakfast, pub taxi rank just over the road to a local shop

I was in Dublin for the marathon. The staff went out of their way to make my stay as comfortable as possible. They looked after my luggage whilst I ran and when I came back they allowed me to have a shower and coffee. It was amazing.

• Classic King Room

Bed was too hard and the room was very cold, took a few hours to warm up due to underfloor heating. We found 3 hairs in our breakfast over the 2 days!!! Also found a dead earwig in our bedding!!!

The Staff were very accommodating. We had dinner in the hotel the first night, and food was fantastic!

• Classic King Room

We had stayed at a few places in Ireland and the hospitality was just stellar throughout our travels. However, when we arrived at the hotel, we didn't get that warm welcome that you get used to in Ireland. The young woman just said can I help you. No welcome to the hotel and not even a smile. It was just a little strange. Who knows, maybe she was just having a bad day. She was not Irish though. The next morning there was a young guy working who was friendly and ask us if we had a good stay. I did mention to him about our encounter the previous day. It's not a big deal but something you would notice and who does not want to feel welcome when they arrive at a hotel. Plus the nightly rate was really high. We paid about $200 for the room and it was nice comfortable but not worth that rate.

The hotel was pretty decent and it had a nice decor. It was a bit of a walk to Central Dublin but there were so many great little places to eat and all kinds of shops around too that it wasn't a problem.

In general the staff were unfriendly. At breakfast 2 guests arrived about 5 mins before the end of the service and they were almost knocked over by the staff barging through to clear away the buffet. No manners and no apologies.

• Classic King Room

Laura at reception was so kind and very helpful. She walked us to our room and continued to assist us with any questions we had. She even brought a purchase we made up to our room so we could continue our day out sightseeing. Can’t say enough good things about her.

In general it was fine, nothing negative to say

Staff very helpful, allowed me to park car there before check in, assisted me with attending a meeting that day. Price for the room in Dublin with parking was good, breakfast enjoyable.

• Classic King Room

steps to breakfeast area as we had our grandparents with us very steep but we managed.

we loved it,a lovely friendly hotel,the staff are excellent so very helpfull,food was fabulos,and everything for our nieces wedding was great.

A very good hotel for a trip to Dublin. Not too far from city center, good Komfort and friendly and professional service in all areas. With own and good restaurant as well as an own pub.

Room 15 is right above a 'beer garden' of the hotel, on Saturday evenings this means sleeping with ear plugs and closed windows.

Pleasant hotel

The food in the restaurant was poor. I had a bit of stomach upset and the breakfast range for us being vegetarians was limited.

Good location with parking facilities. The staff are extremely good and friendly.

We couldn't really find anything to fault regarding this hotel.

The cooked breakfast was excellent. Room was spacious and clean as was the bathroom. Staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. Hotel well located just south of the city centre but public transport links are very good.

While the hotel was cosy when we entered our room was cold. I had to ask receptionist how to turn on heating. The thermostat for the under floor heating was high up on wall by bathroom door. We turned it up to recommended temp but receptionist told us it would take up to two hours to heat up ....! Felt this was a bit disappointing room should be cosy and welcoming...!

Bedroom window was on ground floor onto an alley so did not feel safe leaving window open during the night to let air in or leaving curtains open The hot breakfast was cold but my daughter enjoyed the croissants

The staff were lovely,the hotel was clean and welcoming with good facilities

• Classic King Room

I'm glad our room wasn't over the pub. The pub attached to the building can be very noisy at times. I could hear a bit of noise but it wasn't too bad.

I loved the size of the bedroom and the king size bed. Also, soya milk and gluten free bread were available on request which was great as I'd normally have to buy these to bring to the breakfast.

I arrived at the crack of dawn, but someone was there to greet me warmly. I was thrilled to find that my room was ready for occupancy so that I could crash for a few hours before setting off to explore Dublin. The room was comfortable and very quiet. The bathroom was well-appointed with both a bath and shower. Breakfast was excellent. I had eggs, mushrooms, a croissant, grapefruit juice and pot of tea every day. Many other choices like sausages, bacon, tomatoes, yogurt and a variety of juices, cereals and bread for toasting were also available on the breakfast bar. I had dinner in the restaurant one night, a Caesar Salad, which was very good. Mother Reilly's Pub, attached to the hotel is a lively place. I really enjoyed their open mic night which featured exceptional performers. The front desk staff were very pleasant and helpful, never too busy to answer a question or offer a sightseeing recommendation. The location of Uppercross House in Rathmines is a good 45 minute walk to O'Connell Street, but there are a couple of buses a few steps away that take you into the City Centre. I would definitely stay at Uppercross House again!

Poor water pressure on bathroom washbasin which meant I never managed to get hot water out of it although the shower was fine. Room could be quite noisy - guest upstairs seemed to suffer from insomnia and could be heard walking around room at 4am.

Good location in one of Dublin's inner suburbs. Easy to reach by public transport. Comfortable room with the facilities you would expect in this price range. Good Irish breakfast although buffet style rather than freshly looked. Pub attached with decent bar food.

While parking is available on site it is very tight and awkward angle.

Staff were helpful and the property provided an extensive breakfast menu. Parking is on site which is a nonus.

Hair dryer is one of these hoover type jobs in bathroom .very ineffective and ties up bathroom for other person. Also my pet hate - no top sheet on bed so you are roasting with duvet or frozen if you throw it off .

Location for us was good as we were attending a function in Rathgar .Desk staff extremely pleasant and dropped us extra towels as soon as requested .Breakfast was fine though room a bit cramped.

We would have liked some more choices of cold meats and cheese at the breakfast buffet - now it was either hot items, yoghurt + cereals or sweet items (jam). But the quality was good. Also: on Sunday it felt like the staff prefered to be alone in the breakfastroom - music was way too loud.

Great hotel to stay in during our visit to Dublin. A bit out of the center - but you can easily walk it if you like walking (like we do), or take a short ride on one of the many busses. Room was big enough and clean enough. Cosy place.

Ordered gluten free toast arrived burned.waitress said she had no more gluten free bread.and few seconds later came back in cplanned of presentation of gluten free bread burned then she decided to offer more.information declined as breakfast was eaten then.reported same to receptionist she today me she would follow up same to date non reply.

No lift, stairs are very cumbersome- no fan in the room, window opened only slightly to get air, my room was over the bar and I did not get to SLEEP UNTIL 2am My travel companion and I unfortunately booked a double room, but we do not share a bed. I rented a single room because no one was able to obtain a COT OR PORTIBLE BED!!!

Breakfast was good but ran out of crescent rolls by 8:15am!!!

• Classic King Room

Difficult to manage narrow staircases to get to room with luggage. Long walk (two plus miles ) to some attractions for those in party who can't walk that far.

Nothing not to like

Nice place, clean, good facilities, nice breakfast good parking. A little outside the city centre which is great for peaceful sleep and also a nice walk into town 30-40 mins. If you don't want to walk its on a bus route so no problem.

• Classic King Room

We booked 2 king executive suites??, and we were really disappointed with the size of them , to me it was just a double room , also there was a really bad smell of damp in the downstairs corridors

The lady at reception was very helpful

Nothing really

I liked the location of the hotel. It was really near to the centre just walking 15 minutes. Also, the breakfast was very nice and staff very helpful and kind

Did not provide receipt because I booked with booking com Did not provide included in the price which was not cheap a full breakfast but a scone- bread breakfast.

Great location close to a magnificent park. In general staff is helpful

We have been to this hotel for a second time - last time it was a year ago - and the hotel got much better since that time. The whole hotel was very clean and tidy. If there something a little disapointing then it is the breakfast which is not very rich. A great ratio of quality and price.

The walk to center city was a bit longer than we hoped: Approximately 35 min each way but the route was full of great pubs, shops and eateries.

Brian at front desk was exceptional. Helped with our bags, lent us a fan for the room and a place to store cold food and was a wealth of information on great places to shop and visit. Breakfast was excellent and the seating rooms were comfortable places to hang out.

Staff at check-in were unfriendly and at first said they did not have my booking. Room was clean but corridors smelt musty.

They took the dogs - to find dog-accepting hotels in Dublin. On site free parking.

The staff were all helpful and friendly, we had some very noisy neighbours so I informed the guy on reception who dealt with it straight away. The breakfast was a really good buffet which was great as we had a quick getaway to catch the ferry back home. The attached pub which also serves good food is worth a visit, excellent Guinness poured by a dog loving barman.

Bar closed early

Property was fine.clean and tidy.bigger hotel than I thought.abit out of the way.bar closed early on sunday night.alot of noise from room next door but thats not hotels fault.staff very friendly.no compliants from us.

• Classic King Room

Rooms at front really noisy. Poor double glazing. Wi if very weak. Water pressure poor so took ages to get hot water.

Comfy room, great breakfast, and decent location away from very busy Dublin centre. Adjacent pub very good.

Long walk to our room. Needs a little updating. Smell in the hallways.

The location was great with restaurants close by and walking distance to all the excitement.

• Classic King Room

Staff member was at first not engaging when speaking to her at reception. Very noisy in room above during the night! Breakfast area tight as tables squeezed together and chairs crashing together when people moving consently.

Breakfast staff were very attentive.