Reviews of Walter Raleigh Hotel 4 stars

O'Briens Place, Youghal, Ireland

#3 of 10 hotels in Youghal

• Superior Twin Room

There was nothing we didn't like.

The room was very spacious with very comfortable beds. The bathroom also was large send there was plenty of hot water. There was a lovely sea view from the window. The breakfast was plentiful and delicious. The cstpstking was off road and there is plenty of room.

• Superior Twin Room

The staff at breakfast were young and seemed flustered. They were still very pleasant and the food was delicious.

Beautiful view from Room 309. Delicious, freshly cooked Irish breakfast with egg fried well as I requested. Very comfortable bed. Very clean hotel everywhere. Polite and helpful staff. It has earned its stars and more.

• Superior Single Room

To me everything was perfect, the food was amazing, staff were so friendly and attentive and the room was airy and sparkling.

My room overlooked the sea and was beautiful. Attention was showered on me by the staff as I had breakfast on the balcony the next morning. It was a wonderful experience.

I didn't like that this hotel claims a 4 star rating and charges as such.... Firstly we were left waiting for two hours (4.30pm) to get access to our rooms. Despite the fact all our party arrived at 2.30 our rooms were not hurried up for our use, nor we were even put at the front of the que, we had to wait around until all the bedrooms were completed it seems. I noted this when the next day all bedroom doors were opened and all bedrooms cleaned together, rather than one at a time. Then the batheroom shower has to be a health a safety risk. It has no grids on the delph shower tray, no shower matt either and my sister nearly killed herself. It was so slippy. Had she have fallen, she would have gone through a plate of glass on the door, and there were no handrails in this very unsafe shower. The towels were also too small, couldn't wrap them around me when I got out of the shower, while I'm not Cindy Crawford..... I'm not Venessa Felts either!!!!! the least I would expect at a 4 star hotel is a safe bathroom and a decent bath towel.... fluffy might have been a bonus.... cardboard was not a good feel!!! As I go on the other issue we had, we booked dinner Saturday night in the restaurant, we changed our minds and asked to move it to Sunday. They moved our booking, however when we arrived down for dinner, all dressed up like dogs dinners....we were told restaurant closes on sunday, we were in the bar!!!! We were very disappointed. The food I have to say was indeed excellent and the staff lovely, but the ambiance was not the planned night out for dinner in a nice restaurant. Sadly I wish I didn't have to say all the above, because in truth we did have a lovely weekend in the hotel, but there is no way in hell that this hotel is a 4 star.... a lovely hotel yes.... but not a 4 star.

The staff were very friendly and despite being run off their feet, were always pleasant and helpful. The hotel was no doubt lovely...... but no way a 4 Star hotel

Room was comfortable but bed was small as was the room. Staff were friendly but very busy. Breakfast was just Ok, tea cold as was the toast and breakfast as it was served before finishing my cereal. I would recommend that you ask them not to serve the breakfast until you were ready and insist on fresh hot tea.

The area near the hotel is lovely. Food overall is nice. It's very clean and friendly.

• Superior Twin Room

The window didn’t open very wide and was very stuffy in the room..

We love the peace and quiet and a lovely walk on the beach... breakfast is very good...

• Deluxe Double Room

My very practical wife comments that when having breakfast on the dining room balcony on a sunny but cool April morning then the hotel should gear up and have a tea cosy for the tea pot and fresh heated cups etc.

Newly refurbished and spotless. Very homely feel about the place with very friendly staff. View from our room wry beautiful. Our visit in late April before the holiday season rush meant that the prominade and beach area was very quiet and great for walking.

• Superior Single Room

Would be great if they had a gym or fitness suite

Food good. WiFi good. Location is beautiful. Stayed on a quite Thursday but staff excellent. Very nice breakfast. The surrounding area is lovely as was the view from room overlooking the lough and gardens

The room was a bit on the small side, and the cooked breakfast was only okay, but that was made up for by the great yogurt and fruit, fruit juices, cereals and home baked cakes/scones.

The room had a lovely view of the park and beach, bed was very comfortable, and the shower was brilliant. The staff was friendly and efficient, the location was perfect. Walking distance to the town and to the beach.

Limited facilities Car park too far from door in bad weather

St Valentine's night meal very reasonable. Staff very friendly and accommodating. View excellent. Good walks.

The TV had awful reception, but I didn't care, so I didn't mention it. Others might be more picky. It takes ages for cold water to come out of the cold tap. Not sure what is going on there. It will eventually though.

There was a variety of places to eat within the hotel. Our room was small but very comfortable. It also had a lovely view of the sea shore.

Small room for double

Found the the staff so inviting and friendly hotel was spotless the room was fairly small for a double but done the job other than that can’t fault the staff nor the hotel

A very pleasant and enjoyable stay. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was cozy. The food in the restaurant was gorgeous. The location provided a nice view and was within walking distance of the town and beach.

Your TV has not got BBC.

Room was in excellent condition. Bathroom was of excellence standard. The tea making in room was a good idea,as I was looking for tea when I got to the room.

• Deluxe Family Room

Nothing other than a sea view but not having one was my own fault for late booking

Spacious warm room. Couldn’t get a sea view as all full but I only hooked days before travelling and it was a Sat of a bank holiday so was delighted I got a room at all.

• Superior Single Room

Absolutely every thing about the hotel was fabulous. From check in to departure . All rooms were fabulous . Refurbished recently I understand . Bar and restaurant were so welcoming . Staff so attentive , cant wait to return again .

No Persecco snipe available at our evening meal and did not offer a glass of it because it would mean opening a standard bottle - if you come up short try to right it for the customer!!

General ly all nice comfortable and good standard Bacon at breakfast was very dry - otherwise grand full Irish .

• Superior Twin Room

Top Class Hotel in a beautiful location looking out to sea & so comfortable and clean . , Breakfast is super tasty with great variety , Dinner in the lounge is great food at very reasonable price . The staff are outstanding in their service & customer interaction . .

There was nothing negative during our stay here.

The hotel was beautiful, the staff were very friendly and helpful especially the night porter Paul I think was the chaps name.over all would highly recommend it.

Nothing to dislike.

I loved this hotel mainly for the location the staff and the food. It is the perfect place to unwind. Its such a refreshing change from all the standardised hotels these days. I would recommend it highly.

• Superior Twin Room

I think a service-style breakfast is a mistake. The breakfast was good, but could have been much better as a buffet. One slice of bacon does not a breakfast make. Coffee refills should be offered. Marmalade / Jam with the toast, perhaps.

Staff were friendly and the room was modern, recently renovated and extremely clean.

• Superior Twin Room

The wardrobe rattled when you walked around the room. Noisy first thing in morning if your window was open from car noise.

Very friendly staff and breakfast was yummy

A warm snug haven with wonderfully friendly staff and fantastic food- both the quality and the range. Ideally located between the historic town and the beach.

Breakfast at 8.00am is probably too late for business people. Even a 07.30am start would be a big help.

Breakfast was excellent. Food in restaurant was very nice too. Parking directly outside was a big bonus.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Price outrageous . no music, no pool in hotel and nothing to do evening time when it rained. I would not come back. People with special needs usually get a reduction and when I asked, the reply I got was peak season and rates will come down autumn. Breakfast for me not good as I had to ask fresh orange juice, I felt I should not have to ask considering price. I also had to ask for omelette and same was not presented properly. No onion and small piece of ham in middle, no cheese or tomato in same. V v disappointed coming away as I was treating my daughter to her annual break with her mum.

The restaurant was closed. Only open Friday and Saturday. Food in the bar which was too busy.

Great location overlooking the sea. Breakfast is served on the first floor. We sat on the balcony and five dolphins put on a display for us as we ate breakfast!

Leaving.

Beautiful modern family run hotel. The rooms are totally modernised and totally spotless. The staff are extremely cheerful and helpful. Booked two sea view bedrooms and could have stayed in room all day looking out. Hotel food is of very high quality. Full Irish breakfast overlooking Youghal beach in a beautiful dining room, what more could you ask for? Looking forward to coming back.

• Superior Twin Room

Only one restaurant open during a four day visit and no alternative restaurants within walking distance.

Lovely bedrooms, great breakfast, attentive staff. Good food in bar restaurant.

• Deluxe Double Room

Best night sleep ever!!!!!! Most comfortable beds, spacious powerful shower and extremely clean, we had bar food which was delicious and extremely well priced, breakfast was relaxed yet still prompt table service. Tis a rare gem not often will you find a hotel that all aspects of your stay are perfect and we wouldn't change a thing 💖💖💖

• Superior Twin Room

Noise late at night from wedding guests waiting outside.

Staff excellent, decor very fresh, beautiful meal in the bar, took our need for an early breakfast on Sunday morning in their stride.

To much Road noise when window open,suggest to get windows to open out from top less noise could travel in.

Full irish breakfast excellent, Juices and coffee good, Cakes and croissants v good. Bed comfortable, room spotless. Bar food brilliant

Wifi needs to be improved on the second floor!

The staff were so friendly and welcoming. Our room had a beautiful view. Bed was so comfortable and the bathroom so very spacious. We had dined in the hotel every night which is something we would not normally do. My husband has an allergy to protein and the staff were very accommodating to him in ordering his food. No problems at all there which is very helpful.

Beds very small, most hotels now have at least 5ft beds.. having said that they where very comfortable.

The staff were amazing especially at reception & restaurant, during our stay there was an emergency across the road as a man became very unwell the restaurant staff flew into action & id say saved his life... we were very impressed with how they handled a very delicate incident . Well done.

• Deluxe Triple Room

Site gave wrong impression of beach facing hotel as it is literally a small corner of beach and you have to drive to the beach up the road which is a lovely beach. I think it is more suited to older people than families.

Breakfast very good, lovely to be able to eat on terrace especially if weather good, food in bar excellent.

It was very hot in the bedroom. Delighted that we got the front room having the view of the beautiful sea. Even though we had the blind down and the window open it was very hot.

Just loved the whole feel of the hotel. Very nice to see the owners around and getting stuck into helping out at the breakfast. The quality of the food was just excellent

Our room was a little small.

A beautiful privately owned quality hotel. The staff and the owners (who are very visible) are so helpful, friendly and organised. We visited with my elderly parents, everyone was so kind to us.

The room was very hot as we were on the third floor at the top of the hotel. It was difficult to sleep as a result. The window could only be opened slightly.

Very clean and modern hotel.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

The owner the staff were excellent and most helpful,the breakfast and evening meal was very well presented.THE PRICE OF DRINK in the bar very good value .Everything about this hotel was excellent Paddy

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

I didn't find ant fault at all clearly management know what the customer wants

Perfect hotel to stay , the staff were excellent decor only beautiful. The bar was so nicely laid out with of course great views. Room was a great size and top quality food.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• Superior Single Room

Would have preferred a room directly looking out on the sea.

Location close to the sea. Rooms with a view. Lovely inviting hotel. great accommodation. Great food

• Deluxe Double Room

Charged extra for deluxe room and just given a standard room as given on previous visit .. feel it was a false claim and should not be advertised as deluxe .. bar area very poor . Not a relaxing environment

Breakfast is supposedly cooked to order. My wife asked if the bacon could be grilled and the waitress said "no problem". She returned a few minutes later and said that the chef said he had no grill but would drain them on kitchen paper. 1:Confusing, as there were grilled tomatoes on the breakfast menu,so he obviously had a grill 2: Not what I'd call 4 star service.

It was a little too warm during the night.

The view was beautiful and I liked being able to open the window. I loved the fresh and dried fruit at breakfast.

• Superior Twin Room

Terrific breakfast, great variety.wonderful home made granola, breads, muffins and scones. Great selection of fruit. Lovely sea view from the bedroom. Secure car park, important to us as our dog comes with us and sleeps in the car!;

• Reviewed: 7 April 2017

• Deluxe Twin Room

I loved everything here. The room was just amazing....room 302 (Delux Twin room) It had the best view of the ocean and the park. The staff were so friendly and very funny!!!

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

Clean room, free parking, great see view, nice location, very good breakfast and nice staff. They were very helpful with my birthday surprise for my wife. I appreciate it!

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

Room was beautiful, overlooking the sea. Bathroom was fresh and modern. Staff were very friendly, helpful and professional. The breakfast room was gorgeous, and looked-out at the sea and the service was amazing!

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Black out blinds would of been a plus for bright spring mornings . Beds in superior rooms were on the small side but we were only staying 2 nights so not a huge issue .

Beautiful views , . Lovely bright hotel , nice breakfeast

• Deluxe Double Room

The only complaint I'd have was I could hear the traffic outside during the night and I could also hear the TV and a baby crying next door during the night, but then I am a light sleeper!

Lovely hotel, friendly staff.

We had a beautiful room with a fabulous view of the sea. The Green Park is opposite the hotel which is also lovely. The hotel had a perfect location if you wanted to go sightseeing and it was within walking distance of the town if you didn't want to take your car.

• Superior Twin Room

Absolutely nothing. It was perfect!

Food was exceptional. Staff were friendly without being intrusive. Location superb. Couldn'the fault anything.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

The disabled bathroom (wet room) would be easier to use if the shower had a detachable shower head on a flexible tube.

Irish breakfast excellent and options flexible. All food at this hotel is a very high standard and the chef produces consistently good food. Our room was suitable for a disabled person with limited mobility. The view was across Green Park to the sea beyond. We were returning guests which is in itself a recommendation as we never return to unsatisfactory hotels or restaurants.

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

The whole package was fantastic but the thing that impressed me most was the level of service from the staff. They were incredibly warm, friendly and helpful. Every new staff member we encountered was as pleasant as the last. Superb experience.

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

Food in bar. Fish over done and surroundings very outdated. Seated next to a big sheet of polythene where building works going on. Band in bar and could not sleep.

Very clean. Excellent location.

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

• Superior Single Room

Room was small but adequate for one person. Bedding/duvet cover was clean and pressed but is becoming a bit 'bally' (worn). and might be best replaced with fresh/new?

Rooms are tastefully decorated. Very quiet (could only hear the sea at night). Spotlessly clean. Staff very nice. Breakfast excellent. Bottled water in room very much appreciated. Classy joint. Wifi excellent and hassle free. Some renovation work going on which didn't disturb me and is a good sign the hotel is freshening things up. Food in bar excellent.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

• Deluxe Triple Room

The only negative is the windows are old and let street noise in. But on the positive of that you can hear the sound of the sea

The breakfast presentation was lovely, like an afternoon tea but with muffins and bread and the like . The staff were friendly and went above the call of duty

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

• Deluxe Family Room

Clean. Friwndly. Beautiful hotel. Breakfast was fab. Was worried about going to a hotel with 2 young kids but staff was so lovely and great with the kids.

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

• Superior Single Room

Television station selection poor. Was in town for a funeral and need a distraction but not much to choose from.

Comfortable bead and great view. Healthy breakfast choices

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

The food at this Hotel is absolutely out of this world----- Have travelled alot over the past few years and as yet nothing has surpassed the food in this Hotel....

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

Can't fault the hotel,only the dinner menu was the same as two years ago.

Everything it's just a beautiful hotel,has been all been done up since we were there two years ago.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

• Superior Twin Room

This is a really nice hotel overlooking the sea. Beautiful rooms, fab food and the breakfast was SUPER. Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. Will stay here again.

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

• Superior Twin Room

Staff could not have been friendlier ,from receiption right to cleaning ladies we met in corridor. Food in bar was beautiful and breakfast was great

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

• Deluxe Triple Room

Only thing I think could be improved on was the table in the room-it was tiny and it only had 1 old old chair! There were 3 of us in the room so room service wasn't really an option for us because of that.

Location perfect. Never felt rushed by staff...so relaxing. Food fantastic.Some refurbishing ongoing but never in the way of visitors....staff worked around it superbly.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

Nothing to do with the hotel but the town of youghal itself is in a poor state with many closed buildings. But the hotel is an excellent base for seeing the south east coast and historical towns such as Lismore, Ardmore and sights like The Vee and the many forest areas around the place.

Excellent hotel from the minute we stepped in the door. Receptionist was very friendly, helpful and informative. Room was beautiful. Overall a great experience which we will be repeating.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

Having to leave

Staff were really friendly, helpful, informative and obliging. Food was generally very good, breakfasts were excellent. Room was clean and comfortable with great sea view. We requested a quiet room and got exactly that. Plenty of parking, WiFi was good and the hotel was a pleasant and short stroll from the town.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

Leisure centre quite a walk. Room a bit small, bed too. Music on Saturday night was poor.

Food was very good. Staff nice and friendly Lovely décor, recently refurbished View from room

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

• Superior Single Room

My duvet cover was busted, en-suit door didn't close properly, table was supposed to be reserved at the bar for evening meal as organised at check in by the clerk but was not, which wasn't a problem but it was the clerks idea which then didn't happen, so a little let down by that

Excellent rooms, location and evening meal

• Reviewed: 3 September 2016

Front door locked at 11 p.m. on the Monday night of our stay. Very unwelcoming. Put us off asking for a drink in the bar. No atmosphere.either of the 2 nights we stayed.The hotel felt more like a B & B.

Very good breakfast.

• Reviewed: 3 September 2016

• Deluxe Twin Room

nothing at all. some people may not be used to traffic but hey it's a town.

lovely room overlooking the sea. easy walk 5 min to town. staff very helpfull, beautifull hotel.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

The hotel was great. Although, the town of Youghal could do with some TLC

Great food in the restaurant and bar. Had lunch and evening dinner at the hotel. Breakfast was very good.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

Would have liked more bacon at breakfast,when I requested bacon and eggs for breakfast I just received just one slice.

Breakfast was delicious and served on the veranda on the first morning as the sun shine,great start to a relaxing break.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

Loved our stay in the hotel, everywhere was spotless, the staff were so friendly and the food was delicious. Could find no fault and had a lovely stay

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

• Deluxe Twin Room

dining in the hotel,we went to one of the restaurants and it was very packed.the restaurant manageress said she would show us to another one.she left us outside looking at the menu for 10 minutes.when we finally got a table she was inside talking to a couple,forgot all about us!

the room and the view was great.

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

• Superior Twin Room

On our first evening, we had a very unfriendly waitress who left a poor impression on us, but her poor impression was overtaken by the rest of the lovely staff we met later

Beautifully restored Hotel, lovely interior, nice friendly staff, would recommend it highly

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

Old world hotel that has been modernised to an excellent standard. The staff were very friendly, food was excellent location to die for with fabulous sea views. Highly recommended. Will be back.