Reviews of Westgrove Hotel 4 stars

Abbeylands, Clane, Ireland

#1 of 1 hotels in Clane

• One-Bedroom Suite

The rooms were slightly dated.

All I can say is this hotel embodies the value of Superior Customer Service. I stay in a lot of hotels and meet a lot of hotel staff who are very friendly however the Westgrove take it to a whole new level. They are exceptional and treat you like you are king and that goes for every employee from the cleaner to the bar staff. I couldn't praise them enough and who ever is leading that team... Well done!!!!!! never loose your winning edge in service. This is what I can hospitality.

Only thing I can complain about was the room service staff I was about to get into the shower and there was a knock on the door but before I could even open it the door swung open and they left then would have preferred if she had knocked and waited for an answer

Rooms were comfortable and spacious The waiters were lovely Food was gorgeous we ate in Assagio the first night food was gorgeous and great value for money

It was stunning , such a large space and maintained very well. Dinners are delicious and filling. Staff are pilot and always helpful. Beds are very comfortable. I was there for a wedding and it was beautiful, staff had everything running so smoothly and were making sure each guest was taken care of. I enjoyed my stay and would have loved to have stayed for longer.

The double bed turned out to be two single beds pushed together - very uncomfortable. We had to listen to a boiler below us for the night. The curtains did not cover the windows properly so sunlight was streaming in the sides of the curtains.

The staff were lovely.

There was no beer garden to sit in and enjoy the evening sun. The terrace was booked out all evening for a wedding(which i would say is the case most weekends during ths summer) Also the Bar and eating area is very very dark & seating not great...Disappointing.

The Twin Room was perfect

just being picky- the layout of breakfast- didn't realise the hot food (Porridge & fry) was in room to side breakfast room.

Staff: exceptional with assisting our needs in every way, without being asked- calm & friendly even though v busy. Left clothing item behind & v helpful assisting return. Rooms spacious & really comfortable. The food was high quality for a wedding venue- good choices at breakfast.

The rest of the hotel cleaners and bar workers and especially the receptionist had no clue how things were run and banging on our door the next day trying to get us out of the room after we paid extra for a late checkout terrible people

The Italian restaurant was the best part of the hotel was the only part of the hotel that the staff was friendly and they knew what they were doing

Room service delayed 30mins, food was cold, room was like a sauna and the phone in the room to call reception didn't work.

Staff and customer focus, dinner in restaurant was excellent.

no heating in bedroom. cold atmosphere in general around the hotel. design and layout would remind me of a barn. staff bad attitude. brown bread for breakfast awful.

bed comfortable.

Restaurant and bar completely lacking in atmosphere and soul less. Menu not to my taste and wine that I ordered by the glass was unavailable.

Our room was comfortable although it had a very poor view

The staff where very helpful and polite .we had a meal inbthe italian on site and we where both very pleased with food and service.we wi definately be back 😁

Your survey doesn't allow for some of my answers. There was nothing that I did not like.

I went with a Wedding Party, shared with my sister. Food was excellent and plentiful. Room was very tasteful and comfortable.

In our opinion, it was lacking the extra touches and attention to detail that you would expect from a room that cost €169 per night. The food was wasn't great

Staff were welcoming and friendly

I didn't like that it was in the middle of a housing estate attached to a super valu supermarket. Also, I asked the bar manager to set me up a table that I could bring my 2 elderly parents and 4 young children to for dinner, and this was a task too much for him. He simply couldn't or wouldn't, i thought he waa only joking at 1st but no, so we went elsewhere. Very disappointing. The continental breakfast was very basic.

The rooms were so spacious. The pool was clean. The Italian restaurant served authentic Italian cuisine.

Temperature in bedroom too hot,hard to adjust.breakfast Luke warm in temperature.

Good layout in bedroom and bathroom.bed comfortable.hotel very clean.staff friendly.

Cannot think of anything that I did not like as the staff were excellent.

Yes the croissants were nice and flaky and my room was very spacious and quiet too.

The staff when we came back to the hotle.

Not happy with the way we were delt with when we were having a drink when we went back 2 the hotle by the staff

Room and hotel were freezing had to get an additional heater the restaurant was very basic not a great selection and the bar only had carvery food.

The pool was nice

No thermostat. Was so warm in the room it was very hard to sleep. The room service didn't work out for me, I rang 3 times no answer. But overall it was a pleasant experience.

The food at the restaurant is brilliant. The staff friendly and available. The place is very clean and comfortable. The shower is perfect.

Found the bar a little cold could have done with a bit more heat had to put my coat on

The staff were really lovely, very friendly especially the bar staff. Bed was so comfy.

• Deluxe Family Suite

Our keep cards kept deactivating requiring us to go back to reception over 13 times during our 4 day stay. Staff had no answer but told us to call from the hall so we didn’t have to keep going downstairs. When my husband did this, he was told there was only one person at desk so she couldn’t leave. When he went downstairs, there were 3 people behind the desk chatting.

Hotel was clean and comfortable. Access to complimentary WiFi and breakfast was very nice.

• Deluxe Family Suite

It was just fantastic. It's my second time staying in the hotel. My two sons are 8+4 there was a great kids club in. It's the 1st time my boys ever attended a kids club. It was so safe and we felt at ease. highly recommend to anyone.

Nothing really, the only kind of negative thing that happened was that our room keys stopped working but it wasn't a big deal

Bed was really comfy, the lounge areas are great and just the general relaxed atmosphere

Beautiful hotel very clean and fresh very comfortable we had a lovely night here looking forward to going again as I'd like to bring my kids I think they would love it

Breakfast - as mentioned above

The breakfast wasn't great. We got a very small portion from the hot breakfast and also we had to wait twenty minutes for toast (which we had to ask for twice) to be brought out by which time our breakfast was almost finished. Then when it came out we got one cold slice of toast each.

Leisure center visit was disappointing,I was given one small towel .I was not directed to any facilities. And no room in pool it was full with parents with babies and children

The bed was big and comfy.

The fact this hotel is only rated 4stars . I've stayed in s lot of 5star hotels who could take lessons from the staff of the westgrove in how to deal with guests We arrived home yesterday and everyone is still talking about their stay . It was superb

Everything was exceptional , nothing could have been better, the staff were friendly , the bedroom was perfect , the food was delicious

Arrival you must pay for the room. We got breakfast to the room and had to pay the staff member on delivery of breakfast for the tray charge. It would be much easier just put all to room and pay on departure. We gave never seen this at a hotel before.

Fab friendly and professional staff. Lovely hotel. Upgraded us for our wedding anniversary to esmonde suite with desserts on arrival along with complimentary drinks at bar. Restaurant is lovely too.

They need a new toaster. There were 200 women in the conference room and they had no toilet paper and loo was not cleaned during the day.

Lovely comfy bed. Great pool.

I turned up for breakfast on the first morning and, as instructed by the sign, waited to be seated. And waited some more. Until I got fed up with waiting, found myself a table, and sat myself down. Of course, because no-one bothered to turn up there was no option of coffee or a cooked breakfast. On the way back to my room I made a point of complaining at Reception, specifically requesting the chap made sure the manager was made aware of the poor service. Next morning? Same thing happened again — no staff, no one serving. This time, though, a lady ambled up as I left, and asked me if I was OK. I told her I wasn't — and why — and used the phrase "pissing about". And when I complained again at reception? Apparently "pissing" is both offensive and aggressive, a sin far worse than appalling service two days on the trot, it seems. Lordy... are we really so easily triggered these days? I think your hotel is awful because as far as i can see, your staff are lazy or incompetent — or both. And instead of making good and apologising, you try to turn it around on me for "swearing". Sorry, that won't wash. A decent enough place in terms of facilities, but don't expect anything but shabby treatment from the staff.

Nothing in particular. It was at best an average place.

Heat - as it is January I expected the heat to be on. This made hotel stay very uncomfortable.

I did not have breakfast as I was fasting for procedure!

This hotel is seriously beautiful from the inside and outside. The receptionist was ever so friendly and helpful with checking in and checking out. The room was very spacious and I loved the bed. The breakfast was delicious.

Heating late through the night got a little warm and there wasn’t any drinking water in the room

Rooms were very nice and spacious Staff in the bar & reception were very friendly

The patio in the middle has no covers to stop people getting wet from the rain when having a smoke, staff where asked to put one up and then took back down again, we where soaked in our dresses trying to have a smoke. Staff member walked into my room while I was having a bath at 11am, checkout was 12, and another staff member knocked again at around 11:30 their records said the room was empty, so I felt I couldnt relax.

Rooms where nice and spacious. Heated floors in the reception.

• Deluxe Family Suite

I did not dislike anything but while the rooms were very spacious and Ckean the furniture could do with updating the line is worn and a like of paint but as I know it's a family room and kids just wreck everything but I would stay again lovely staff

Lovely hotel large space family suite dining and leisure facilities excellent . Rooms very well catered for and spotless. The staff in both hotel and bar lovely and helpful with the kids

The room was exceptionally cold. We made 2 requests for heating. Could not sit in room without overcoat. Room 321

Convenience of location for purpose of visit

• Deluxe Family Suite

The one thing I didn't like was the bathroom, after the shower the floor out onto the carpet in the bedroom was soaking an this was not good for asthmatic children overnight. Maybe a shower door would be better.

It was a lovely hotel with everything on hand.

Bar area very open and cool on the cold night we visited. Could do with some cozy effects to make it more welcoming.

Roomy hotel with lots of foyer space and good facilities on site. Parking is easy with free underground parking which provides easy access to hotel. Gym and pool on site. Staff were friendly and engaging.

Reception staff gave me a key card for a room that still had guests in it. This happened twice. Formal complaint raised with general manager.

Central location

Bathroom a bit small for two people . Heat was switched off before 10pm. When I rang reception I was told heat was times in rooms and it would come on again at 3am! This was 24th November 2017 , it was freezing outside from early evening and a hotel where I paid money to stay thought it is acceptable to switch off heat in bedrooms before 10pm leaving it off until 3am in November . I was astounded and only for I had already paid and didn't want to make a fuss I would have looked for a discount . The purpose of my stay was that my 73 year old mother could attend a hospital appointment at 7.30am in Clane hospital, to think the heat was turned off so early in the middle of winter and a particularly frosty night was unbelievable. The staff however I couldn't fault , but the hotel policy about heat in rooms would seriously make me reconsider recommending the hotel to others. Whilst everything else was good , this policy whilst may save the hotel money really turned my positive experience into a negative one .

Lovely friendly helpful staff . really nice pool and steam room area . Food was good also .

Bruscheta in the bar was a stale roll with Tomatoes and olive oil on it.

Great gym and leisure centre. Entertainment on Saturday night was excellent and the staff were extremely helpful.

Bedroom decor shabby

The beds not too comfotable very soft basic sheets no duvets.decor in family room older and shabby compared with other rooms Breakfast lovely and sta

Beautiful place, nice clean and presentable. Just travelled for the wedding, reception was good, staff welcomed the couple with champagne- nice touch.

Staff overworked and not enough of them. Room service very poor. Quality of food terrible. Breakfast awful. Management rude to customers and staff. Terrible place to work felt sorry for them, uncomfortable to watch how badly they are treated.

Leaving, looking forward to going home.

Our key had to be reprogrammed to our room cause it wouldn't work in our door when we were going to bed.

Room was big and spacious. Shower was good and strong. Lots of little areas to relax in. Bar food was lovely. Really good variety for breakfast. Staff were very friendly and accommodating.

the service was absolutely terrible. got soup it was cold. gave it back. main course didnt come f an hour after. 1 of us had chicken curry i counted 4 tiny cubes of chicken

Large swimming pool made up of dark navy tiles on the walls and floor. As an irregular shape be prepared to bump your head! Swim cap - compulsory in Ireland - and a padlock for the lockers (luckily they had some spares). Breakfast was a bit bland considering other Irish fayre :-(

Welcome by Reception Staff was great and entrance looked impressive.

The fact that the lift ended on a flight of steps down to reception and the invalid lift was not working and had no out of order sign . All guests had to bump steer their luggage down the steps . There should have been a ramp from the lift to reception level.

Breakfast was good but more variety would have made a difference . Dinner in the Restaurant was very good but the bar was noisy and uncomfortable, but overall a very nice hotel.

There was confusion over the payment upon arrival which was sorted out the following day.

The gym was excellent, great equipment, another picture of the gym machines on the website would be benifical for potential customers. Italian resurant was really nice, fantastic host was very knowlegable about the food and very friendly. Also all other staff in the hotel were very friendly.

Very outdated, Dinner was terrible in restaurant. Have use stupid card for elevator. Jaccuzi not working, sauna cold & kids lessons take over the pool.no body wash in showers.no dryer. wi-fi didn't work. Very overrated hotel in the middle of nowhere

Bed comfy Breakfast buffet good selection Food is good in bar not restaurant

Stayed in this hotel 4 years ago and the quality has gone down quite a bit. Reception staff were a bit confused with payments for rooms. We purchased a meal voucher which should have been delivered to the room but this got lost and there was no history of this until Account Staff came in which added a bit of stress. Credit Card was needed to pre-pay a room, if you didnt have a credit card then you could not pre-pay the room. The details of address and personal details were almost completely wrong for us. The bar food was average at best and presentation of food wasn't great. We needed to ask staff on 2 occasions to clean tables we ate at which isn't a huge thing, they are only human but it took awhile for them to actually notice this which wasn't ideal. Breakfast was pretty good and the bar was nice. Overall not a bad stay but could have been better with some adjustments.

When we checked in we were not really given alot of information, staff more interested in moving us on, so much so there was confusion at check out re deposit. I think it is useful to have a rubber bath mat when there is not a seperate shower in bathroom, especially with young children. We didn't use the changing facilities at pool as freezing!

The room was spacious, the beds comfy and the restaurant & bar child friendly, the swimming pool lovely

The men's changing rooms at the leisure club as there was no bags for wet swimming gear and the floor was dirty.

It was very clean apart from the men's changing rooms at the leisure club. The food was excellent and the staff were friendly and helpful.

The Bar Prices too high €5.60 for a pint of larger.The Coke was in a small bottle at €3.00 euro The services was slow in the bar and the restraurant

Breakfast was good great choice of food

• Deluxe Family Suite

Room was a bit awkward but ok.. One particular staff member at dinner wouldn't encourage me to return. She made me feel like we were a nuisance/annoying her. She didn't get our order right and the food should have all come out together but two of us were eating while the rest waited. We were overcharged, which I would have noticed only I had to go back to the room for as I couldn't have the bill added to the room Breakfast was thrown on the plate and the choice of toast was burnt or white. No one in our group uses a wheelchair but for someone who does, figuring out what was for breakfast and getting it into your bowl might prove tricky. The kids couldn't see what was for breakfast. When we went for a swim there was an aerobics class on. If we had been told about it before going in we could have waited. As soon as the class finished the life gaurd was gone.... The family changing room was grubby. I picked this hotel as I stayed in it before and enjoyed it....not so much this time

In a good location

• Deluxe Family Suite

Their was no negatives about this hotel it should have five stars

I loved assagio Italian restaurant and the staff couldn't do enough , I'm on my own with three young children and the staff in the westgrove from the kiddies club too the restaurants and receptionists and housekeeping all made my experience amazing as a first taster tester holiday with a two year old a one year old and a eight year old their was something for all my kids too do and enjoy loved the whole place and would go back again

Way too expensive. No special touches for the price. No housekeeping book in the room. I.E: room service menu, departure times, taxi info, etc...

Comfortable

Our room wasn't ready when we arrived.

Breakfast was good but the sausages were the usual, mass catered, not much meat and padded out with filler, type. Also on the Friday our last day not brown bread, it was on order apparently. Cannot understand how you can run out of brown bread!! Room was very comfortable, very quiet and slept well. We liked the underground carpark and the lift directly up. Swimming pool was good but we needed to know about rubber hats prior to coming as we could have brought ours from home.

• Deluxe Family Suite

We used the pool but did not realise that we needed to wear rubber hats. We did not want to purchase any as we have some at home back in the UK. Perhaps a warning on the webpage might help future guests.

I was upgraded to a room with a kitchenette and lounge with the bedroom separate so we were able to put the children in the lounge in their travel cots. We had to ask for a rubber mat for the bath which I think should be standard in a family room and be provided from the start. Also the kitchenette was great to use but we could have done with a dishcloth, tea towel and a pan scrubber.

We really enjoyed our stay at Westgrove - the weather was warm and they provided us with a fan in our room - really nice extra! Breakfast was great with good choice. We ate at the hotel both nights of our stay in the bar and in the Italian restaurant - both were really good. I look forward to visiting again in the future.

Shower curtain over the bath did not go right across. curtain is a bit old fashioned. Scrambled eggs weren't very hot. At dinner I would love to see one particular waitress smile which didn't happen throughout our meal which disappointed me. We were left waiting at the desk for five minutes before being seated despite having made a reservation. perhaps a seat in the bar should have been suggested while we waited. 2nd waitress was wonderful not sure if she was the manager.

Loved the big bedroom, sitting room and kitchen. loved the whole design of the hotel and beautiful staircases and sitting areas on each floor.

Hotel very basic. Room we stayed in Bed was very uncomfortable. The breakfast they say is self service but the chef dishes up the hot food and to say his portions were mean is an understatement. I asked for egg tomatoe and mushrooms and I got 5 mushrooms one egg and one tomatoes.... for the price of hotel and rating I expected more.

This is the third time that I come to this hotel for work, every time the same problem: the noise in the corridors at night, which makes you feel like you were in a cheap youth hostel. I have already complained SEVERAL times to the reception, nothing is done. If you stay in this hotel during the weekend, you won't sleep. It is a non-stop shouting in the corridors in the night. The hotel organizes weddings and similar things: during those days, if you are staying at the hotel, forget your sleep. The hotel staff is not friendly. They are all 'average' but will not help you if you have issues. Unfortunately I do not have many other options when I have to go there for work. Something could be done to reduce the nuisance, i.e. putting all the wedding guests that sleep at the hotel on the same floor and/or indicating CLEARLY that people must be quiet in the corridors. During my last stay, I had a man OUTSIDE my door shouting at the phone, this was in the middle of the night. The staff of the hotel can not be bothered. Such a pity. I will do my best not to stay there again.

The hotel has comfy beds and rooms are spacious!

12 euro for a glass of prosecco. Thats a rip off. Drink prices were relatively average other than that. hard to navigate around the hotel. I had to walk 10 mins to get to my room becuase they closed off the access to the main hotel during the evening of the wedding reception. Therefore we had to go an alternative route. My room was only up the corridor from the elevator if they had of left the doors opened. My father had to walk up 2 flights of stairs to his room when they done this too. He cant walk very well. If he didnt take the stairs he would have had to walk 10 or more mins to his room. Not very suitable for people with disabilities in that respect.

Fan available to the room as it was very warm in the hotel

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

The room was too hot, wasnt easy to sleep, didnt think the breakfast staff was to pleasant. Ordered an ice bucket, still wasnt there for over an hr, had too get it ourselves.

The bed was comfy. House keeping was great.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

The bed was too high and hard for smaller people. The key cards did not work on the second day. I had to ring reception to come and let us in. There was a wedding and a lot of noise from guests during the night.

The room was spacious. And the area was nice

• Deluxe Family Suite

The hotel is abit tired looking.The room needed a coat of paint nd the bedroom furniture needed re varnishing.Also the view wasn't great as we were at the back looking out over the bin area.My kids only complaint was that there wasn't any pancakes for breakfast!

The room was very spacious,we had an apartment which was super.Ideal for families. Also the apartment was lovely nd quiet.Had early bird in Aggassio restaurant,20 euros per head for 3 courses from full menu,,absolutely gorgeous, great value nd really nice food.

Nothing really that we didn't like.

The property was close enough to and easy to get to our destination, Punchestown Race Course. We had no problems and everything ran smoothly. Food was nice.

• Deluxe Family Suite

Very hot in room. Kettle in room did not work. TV reception was very poor. A little noisey. Children left run around at breakfast. Not very relaxing.

Room was large. Beds ok. Breakfast was ok.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

The breakfast was very poor the bacon and fried eggs in particular had spent too much time under the heat lamps rendering them inedible. Not a good start to my day.

Staff were attentive.

The advertisements for the pool are very different in reality. The pool was over run by young screaming children which my teens couldn't bare. A relaxing kid free area would have been lovely but you could only use the spa if you had a treatment booked. Having an adult only time in the pool/jacuzzi in late afternoon or early evening would have improved our stay dramatically. Also it's a membership leisure centre/gym locally so very very busy all the time. Changing facilities were very old, tired and not clean.

Staff in all areas of the hotel were extremely nice, helpful and friendly. I work in Customer service and I have to commend the hotel on their wonderful staff.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

• Deluxe Family Suite

Maybe a light on the wall behind the children's bed as they like to read ! So I had to get up and turn off the light once they went asleep 😴

The bar staff in particular peter looked after all of us extremely well ! Considering we had the 3 grandchildren with us !! And the kids club were really good too 😘 Food was excellent in the oak bar

The breakfast was terrible. There was a poor selection of food at the cold buffet. All the hot food at the buffet was dry and shrivelled; practically inedible. The staff never told us that we could have ordered the "special"; which would have been freshly cooked: we only found out as we were leaving the restaurant

The room was comfortable and quiet.... no outside noise. The staff at reception were very helpful and pleasant. The dinner in the Italian restaurant was very pleasant.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

Food in the bar was not very good. I wanted to go in the restaurant one evening, but there was a large very noisy party in there, so I didn't bother.

Easy to find and near town centre.

Lots of unsupervised children running in the bedroom corridors

The room was too warn even with the heating off..we needed a fan on all night in March!!!!