Reviews of White Sands Hotel 3 stars

Coast Road, Portmarnock, Ireland

#3 of 3 hotels in Portmarnock

A little too far from Malahide to walk and had to bus and no nearby cafes and no room fridge for fresh milk.

The views of the ocean from the hotel lobby. Unfortunately our room overlooked a paved courtyard. Buses to Malahide, Swords and the airport left regularly from the busstop outside the hotel. Tea and coffee making facilities in the room and top ups readily available.The reception staff were excellent and most helpful.

We stayed in room 114 which we had used before and it had been refurbished and is now very comfortable. We didn't eat there as we were guests of Dublin Camera Club and they took us out to dinner near the club rooms. We couldn't stay for breakfast either as we had a very early ferry to catch.

• Triple Room (Double & Single bed)

Rooms were very warm. One small window and no a.c. Made it hot and stuffy. Mattress was a bit uncomfortable.

Great location, good pub, good restaurant. Staff was helpful and friendly. Great shower.

• Advance Purchase - Double Room

Nothing could have been improved

The hotel was quiet even though a pub was attached. The room and bed were comfortable and clean. The food was good with plenty on offer and the staff were friendly & helpful.

• Advance Purchase - Double Room

We were given the most fantastic room with a huge balcony & a jacuzzi bath. I had been down for a run at malahide castle & the receptionist got us this amazing room the Jacuzzi was so relaxing on my weary joints we can't thank her enough. The bar staff were fantastic too very friendly - Great food local people there at the carvery all day very deceptive from the outside.

Room not ready when we arrived then when given a room it was one of the few that do not face the sea despite indicating that we would like a sea view.

Breakfast choice was a bit poor. Stuff not friendly, but most disturbing was a lot of craftmen sitting in the breakfast room with extremely dirty work clothes.

• Triple Room (Double & Single bed)

We returned after a day out to find our room door left open by housekeeping staff. Wall's are paper thin - Noisy neighbours kept us all awake on our second night Extra child's bed for our 4 year old was extremely uncomfortable - if a child doesn't sleep well then no one sleeps well!! There could be a better selection of fresh fruit at breakfast - more child friendly options like berries and grapes More bread options like pancakes would be great too and maybe the option of chocolate spread (kids are on holidays after all!)

Excellent location with stunning views

Rooms are small air conditioning not great and the bathroom was not nice first the bath is way too high to get into to this is a danger to older people or with kids too high. Towels could be a bit bigger like hand towels and bath towels they were too small.Breakfast was fine except it was upstairs and hard to locate where it was

The best thing about this hotel is where it's located the view of Portmarnock beach was beautiful.

• Triple Room (Double & Single bed)

the rooms were old, dirty, chairs had holes and burn marks, windows would not open then would not close. the room had a strong oder of fresh paint. when i brought this to the staffs attention they offered no help. they are in the process of renovating the hotel but our room was old and dingy and way below what i was expecting.

the view of the ocean

A big white van parked in front of our room that blocked our sea view for the night & in the morning.

Great Location. Bar facilities very good. Sea view from our room was great.

A bit old fashioned- decor and bathrooms. Bed a little small- standard double I'm used to kingsize

It was clean, had everything you need. Staff were friendly. Location is beautiful.

• Triple Room (Double & Single bed)

The room was very unclean- stained carpet, ripped bedsheets, old furniture. Bathroom was filthy, cracked tiles and broken lights. Room was like a sauna with no way to control the heating. Staff were extremely unfriendly. Overpriced.

Restaurant closes a little early in the evening

Great location on the north of Dublin coast. Comfortable mid-range hotel. Good, fast wifi. Friendly staff who say ‘Good morning’

Music in Club coukd be a bit loud on weekends

Loved that we were on Seafront so handy for us bus outside door train in Malahide.to go into city The staff were amazing very helpful we were there for two weeks and most of them remembered our name Breakfast was lovely we ha dad meals in the Bar/Restaurant

A bit dark in the bar area

I liked the area upstairs with the sea view but we did not find it until breakfast time as our room was at the back of hotel.

• Triple Room (Double & Single bed)

Some areas looked a bit tired but didn’t take away from enjoyment of the stay

Location is fabulous Lots of car parking and staff very responsive to requests

Only one of the three heating elements worked through my four-night stay, despite my reporting this deficiency twice. The sound of the club is intrusive.

The view of the sea, the walking/jogging path right across the road, the nearby Dublin bus stop, the spaciousness of the room, the useful desk, and the ample parking.

• Advance Purchase - Double Room

The shower handle was broken the glass doors for the outside were unlocked when we got into the room.

The location was amazing! The reception desk was super helpful and pointed us the correct direction. Tea and coffee in the room.

• Triple Room (Double & Single bed)

Hotel in need of extensive renovation. Camp bed for 2nd child uncomfortable. Couldn‘t adjust heating, room too hot.

Facade and location, friendly staff.

• Advance Purchase - Double Room

There were sea view rooms. But not for anyone booking via interne! They remained empty. I would've been happy to pay a bit extra for a view. Sounds harsh but my booking was made well in advance and a req made. Shame no option was available at booking. I found a black hair on my kettle. Broken kettle lid. Made filling it difficult. Dirty teaspoons. No shower curtain. Small towels. Heated towel rail too close to toilet. And a bottle opened on the bathroom wall? Weird. Remote control fell apart. No battery cover. 2 teabags. No more.

The beach across from the hotel. Warm room. Bus stop from airport very close by. Great mini mart nearby. Friendly locals. Fantastic scenery

There were numerous stains on the carpet. There was a hair in the bath. It was quite windy and it felt like there was a gale blowing through the room. I had to take a blanket from the wardrobe. This is my third time staying here but I think this is my last!

The location is stunning, and they could do so much more with it.

Very noisey. Woken at 5.45 with people next door & on corridor. Sounded like lift was going all night also. Toilet in bathroom hadn’t been flushed/cleaned. Hair on the bathroom sink. Bedside lamps didn’t work.

Cannot say really it needs some refurb but that takes time and finance.

The food very good. I prefer a hard bed. Could do with safety bars in bathroom for us older generation. We had s sea facing room.

• Advance Purchase - Double Room

Nothing to dislike probably. Just the heaters were a bit noisy for me. ;-)

Starting from our arrival, sea view was exceptional. The reception was really great and helpful, rooms were really comfy and neat. Quietness was our main concern, which we did find it to its full. Great value for money. In short, Exceptional.

I was checking in at 11.30 pm and the staff at the counter was nearly sending me home saying I had no booking which I did it got to 12 .20 am and then he said he found the booking I was embarrassed standing in the lobby for nearly an hour while people were walking past me worst experience ive ever had in a hotel he was going to send me and my partner home in the middle of the night because u had porter staff sitting behind the desk that cant use a computer very bad customer service.

Nothing everything was great

The bed's were excellent room was big and cosy big enough for you to stay in and read or watch t v breakfast was also excellent nothing was to much trouble for the staff the bar area was also very friendly

• Advance Purchase - Double Room

The room was far too hot for my comfort, despite trying to turn radiators down the temperature was too high.

I loved waking up every morning and seeing the sun rise over the ocean.

A little dated and tired, facilities need a facelift, if you are a light sleeper night club will keep you awake

Location and ease of access, parking was relatively good, terrific outlook and view of the sea and beach, reasonable value for a Saturday night

A night porter opened my locked room door at 4am! He left without a word so I closed it only to get a call from him at reception stating it was a mistake. Reported this the next morning at checkout and given same explanation. Never staying there again.

They had a nice bar and there was live music the night I stayed so it was a pleasant evening.

The staff, particularly (though not exclusively) the girls waiting at breakfast and dinner, were so attentive. Nothing was too much trouble for them. We loved the restaurant menu with its emphasis on local seafood. The room exceeded our expectations, as did the hotel in general as compared with previous reviews, which give it an overall rating of 'good'. Quite frankly, that does not do it justice. We were expecting 'good', but got 'very good', indeed 'excellent' in many respects. Aside from the above, the location is amazing. The hotel faces the sea, affording views of Lambay and Ireland's Eye, as well as the Howth peninsula. To sum up, this hotel is 4-star, not 3 as described. We loved our stay here.

• Triple Room (Double & Single bed)

They should have refrigerators in the room and ice machines available on each floor. I needed to go to the bar every time I needed some ice to keep my stuff cold. They did give me a very little refrigerator upon request but it barely fit anything in it and After a few days it didn’t work and they didn’t have another one available for me. Other than that everything else was great!

Beds were very comfortable, location was not that great for getting into the city every day but the bus stops were close so that was good. The entertainment on Friday and Saturday night was great. I enjoyed my stay.

There was a lot of noise and the bathroom was a little worn. It would be nice to have more comfortable amenities in the hotel outside the room.

Room was adequate and comfortable for one night on business and the shower was good.

The towels were all quite small and well worn (little rough) the toilet was situated so close to the radiator that you had to wedge a towel inbetween your body and radiator to stop from burning your skin !!! The shower and bath are old, looking quite shabby from damp on surround panels and limescale on shower head, which was stuck on mist spray setting. There was only decaf coffee in the room, no biscuits (not the end of the world!) lots of odd artwork on walls. The curtains were old fashioned and hard to draw, albeit practical

Very comfortable bed, crisp clean linen, plenty of extra blankets and pillows, good wardrobe and clothes hangers. Good sea front location with free wifi and parking !

• Advance Purchase - Double Room

Check out experience not good.had to check out early due to unforeseen circumstances explained this to hotel receptionist. I was not asked if I enjoyed my stay or if hotel was to my satisfaction the receptionist simply said what room number and that's paid. very disappointed leaving

Room was nice bar staff very pleasant hotel location was excellent for public transport to city centre

we stayed 4 nights and the wifi only worked on the first night, felt I should have received some payment back for that. when myself and my partner questioned when the wifi would be back online (as we had family to contact and flights to check into) we were laughed at and patronised saying we're too young and dependant on the wifi, by the end of the trip I felt belittled by the staff at every department

bed was very comfortable, appreciated daily room cleans

• Advance Purchase - Double Room

nothing - the hotel suited my needs perfectly

A perfect location opposite the beach Clean and comfortable room with tea and coffee making facilities Heated floor in the bathroom Car parking on site

The staff could do with knowing a bit of local knowledge. Didn't have local bus timetables. Didn't know where the local train station was.

The breakfast was ok. The room was clean.

The room was cold, heating didn't work. No hot water. And all this in February, when it was frosty outside. The breakfast room was freezing. It was weird to see so many permanent residents in a Hotel like this. The amenities were dates, seemed old and worn.

The view.

The wifi was not working in the beginning in my room and I had to use the one in the reception but it was solved for the second day.

Very friendly staff, beautiful surroundings.

I travelled form London for my partners 50th birthday celebrations. Every singe detail requested for his special birthday in advance of my arrival was done so efficiently and professionally. Also upon arrival at our beautiful, comfortable hotel with balcony (sea view of 'Irelands Eye' Island we had champagne, strawberries, dessert treats, on ice, glasses, cutlery, beautiful napkins and birthday cake ready and waiting. All I requested was the cake be in the room and perhaps forks and glasses. We had selections of tea, coffee and stunning treats (White Sands Style). All staff we encountered were really courteous, friendly and attention to detail was evident in all their roles. I really loved my stay at the White Sands Hotel and will definitely be back. The staff made it a perfect weekend to remember for us. S. Power (Cambridge UK)

Located near a golf course. Travel to city only takes 30 min. Food was fantastic ,prepared with care, and we'll presented. Very quiet at night. There are a lot of lovely pubs close by, if you prefer to stay out.

• Advance Purchase - Double Room

The room I was given was spacious & comfortable. I was staying at the hotel for work & appreciated the ample space o had to revise my workload. There was such a lovely view of the beach & sea from the room, as well. Particularly fantastic as the weather during the time I stayed was beautiful & sunny. The staff were really lovely...one staff member knew I'd be stuck in my room all day revising & made an effort to bring me up some snacks to get me through the evening. Life saver! Highly recommend a stay at this lovely hotel.

We were at the pub beside and when coming back the doors were locked and we were outside for about 20 minutes and then examined one by one coming back in even though we had our room keys was quite frustrating to me

• Advance Purchase - Double Room

we had an old room which was a bit dated. Our friend booked last minute and got a lot nicer room for the same price.

The view was lovely. It was clean.

• Advance Purchase - Double Room

Personally I would have preferred a room in which I could open the window at night, as it was the window was a full door which opened on to a Juliet balcony and it rained so hard that we were not able to leave it open as the rain would have come in.

Very friendly staff and the food in general was excellent, the only thing I would comment on was that the bar meals were the same every night and became a little tedious, overall though the quality was good and the breakfast was varied with a choice of full Irish or continental.

Nothing it's out of season so things may have been a little more quiet than usual and that's fine.

Everything, room comfortable and good for work too. Breakfast and dinner both really good. Great to be close to the city and airport but to have the relaxed holiday feeling.

The room door had to be slammed to close it as it was needing trimmed or sorted, and there was a few other rooms the same as you could hear people banging there door. But it was only way to close it. Overall good hotel.

Location of hotel, on the shore line.

As above

Asked to check in early. ( half eight as early flight ). Told I could not do that till four which was fair enough. Said I was tired and could I leave my mobile so that if a single room came free I would like to check in. Told that she could not do that , and would not do it and to come back after three, very abrupt and not interested at all. ( blonde lady , older lady ). So . No . not happy in the way it was dealt with. Not staying again but hotel room was fine and clean and lovely.

• Triple Room (Double & Single bed)

But of a funny smell in corridor outside our room,there was a plug in air freshener there obviously to disguise it but was made it worse very overpowering.

Location excellent views from room are fab,hotel bar nice and cozy and drink reasonably priced,food very nice as well.

• Triple Room (Double & Single bed)

1) Breakfast was not good - small cramped buffet set-up, toaster needs updating - and breakfast room was extremely cold and draughty - I asked the waitress if the door to the kitchen area, which was propped open with fire extinguisher, could be closed to stop one source of the draughts; she explained that it was very warm in the kitchen! 2) the bedroom needs overhaul - the door was literally embedded in end wall, so entry was at a squashed angle - the loo is placed up against bathroom radiator so prob best to keep that turned off or covered with towel for your stay - 3) a good deep clean is needed 4) charge at location was more than reservation cost via booking dot com

Location was convenient with ample parking

• Advance Purchase - Double Room

Although hotel is super clean and it is fantastic value for money the rooms are just a little dated!!

Staff are so lovely and welcoming, beach front hotel, free parking, great value for money, extra comfy bed, bar food fabulous big portions and very reasonable. Hotel is super clean.

The rooms are too small. The hotel was very noisy in the evenings and early morning due to children playing outside my door. Some of the families staying in the hotel are not genuine hotel guests but rather placed there by the local authorities.

Staff was very friendly and helpful

• Triple Room (Double & Single bed)

The only thing I could possibly ask for would be just a little bit more basic meat and vegetables type meals on the dinner menu. Travelling with children, sometimes it’s nice just to have a more “home cooked” style meal. That said - all our meals were delicious!

Beautiful breakfasts, Amazing porridge,superb location, friendly staff.

Reg. TV 5 channels only, no smart T.V, coumputer is out of order, tub jacozzy out of order, leaky windows, no heating element in the Bathroom. And no breakfast with my reservation.

Cleaned, roomy, price, parking, view to beach.

The first night the guests in the room next door were really noisy & we asked if we could move room the following night. The staff were so apologetic & understanding & agreed to leave the room next door empty as they weren’t fully booked.

Even though we were only here for one night, White Sands was relatively quick to get to from the Dublin Airport, and in a great spot from which to start the next day's adventures. Rooms were a good size, and the hotel was very quiet.

• Advance Purchase - Double Room

While not everyone would agree, I hated having a movement sensing light outside the bathroom door. I much prefer to find my way to the bathroom in the dark and not be fully awoken by a bright light searing my retinas! I asked how to disable it and was told by reception it was "compulsory". What tosh!

While the main course of my meal was a little ordinary, the dessert was magnificent and breakfast in the morning equally good.

• Advance Purchase - Double Room

Always like the Hotel , very cosy and friendly i wish they had some special rates to offer for regulars like myself as i go there almost monthly

The double bed was in fact two singles pushed together which tended to split apart in the night. The atmosphere in the bar was weird and we'd hoped there might be some craft beer available (other than Cute Hoor) but there wasn't.

The view of the sea from the front of the hotel was lovely. Our bathtub was massive!

A shuttle bus to the train station would be good

Early check in on arrival as room was ready for us, nice big dooms with plenty of space and beds very comfortable, rooms are done up beautiful, on arrival we received a 10% discount voucher for food to be used at breakfast or for the restaurant or bar food, food was excellent with amazing beach views from the patio area in the bar, would highly recommend the hotel to family and friends and would definitely return, thank you

• Advance Purchase - Double Room

A small lamp on the desk might be helpful.

I didn't actually have breakfast during my stay! The bed was extremely comfortable and duvet lovely and cozy. I really had to drag myself out of the bed every morning! ;) My bed was always made up beautifully and I was impressed with the daily cleanliness of the bathroom. I really enjoyed the view from my window, (room 101) and the spectacular sun rise in the mornings. So lovely to see the sea so close. It was great being so close to the Reception Desk and hotel entrance! The past two years I have stayed in the hotel (at this time of year) I have been upstairs.

• Triple Room (Double & Single bed)

We had to leave in an awful hurry An forgot a lot of items some more expensive than others when we returned the following day to collect the items (we rang to say we left behind) there were some more expensive items missing. Also the first room we were put in was old cold dated an smelled of smoke when I complained of He state of the room the receptionists attitude was a disgrace.

Great Breakfast with Buffet. Big Room with balcony. Bathingromm with shower an a huge whirlpool! Parking for free. Very friendly personal at the Check in with never ending patience. Restaurant by the side and delicious offer.

Breakfast was very good and lots of choices. The staff went out of their way to help us. The locale is amazing with a beautiful beach across the street. The bar has great food so don't have to leave the facility for meals. The bus to Dublin passed in front of the hotel.

The only criticism I have is the bath/shower in the room, it is extremely hazardous to older people like myself, when wet the bath becomes extremely slippery just like ice and could be the cause of injuries due to people slipping and falling in the bath. I don't know the health and safety implications but a non slip bathmat would in my opinion be a necessity

Location beside a beautiful and clean sandy beach, covenient to the magnificent Portmarnock Golf courses and also the villages of both Portmarnock and Mallahide all very close by with a bus service to both locations if required

The upholstery in the bedroom was looking a bit tired! The chef was very heavy handed on seasoning the tomatoes and mushrooms for breakfast.

The bathroom in the bedroom was noticeably of a high standard of cleanliness.

very comfortable clean hotel. bar food was good. the management at this hotel go way beyond normal expectations to insure guests have a pleasant stay. i am very happy to recomend this hotel to anyone coming to this part of dublin.

• Triple Room (Double & Single bed)

We stayed in the older part of the hotel. Would like to stay in a renovated room next time. The room was a great size with sea / car park views! Free entry into the night club was fun. Staff could smile & acknowledgement guests more. Otherwise great. Bar looking a little tired too. Portmarnock is beautiful though.

• Advance Purchase - Double Room

The room had a great view of the beach. The staff were very friendly. The room was clean. The bathroom was a little dated but larger than normal and had a bathtub. We were an easy drive to and from airport and close to Dublin. We also drove our rental car to a few castles that were within a 30 mile radius.

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights and then due to hurricane Ophelia we were stranded at Dublin airport , but the hotel made rooms available for us and couldn’t help us enough . Thank you John , manageress Mary and Sean you were stars . John , Jane, James and Kate , rooms 114 and 119

• Advance Purchase - Double Room

The hotel itself is a little tired in places and the staff also seemed a little tired...

We have only ever stayed in the executive rooms and hopefully will continue to do this. We tend to choose off peak times when the place is quieter and choose this hotel based on location. It is the perfect walk away from Malahide and conveniently close to some little shops and bus-stop. The bar in the hotel is cosy and the food was very decent and reasonably priced.

was having a shower the water is the bath was up to my calf muscle. water to slow to get away for my liking. had a sore back in the morning from the hard mattress.the room was cold. but warmed up for getting up in the morning.

was there long enjoy to check facility out.

• Triple Room (Double & Single bed)

The hotel looked a little tired, little things that should be repaired were not done, e.g. light fittings in the breakfast room . The breakfast room floor felt tacky under foot, not encouraging when you are eating there. When you book a room for three people you expect enough towels for three people, they did provide more than enough when asked. Rancid croissants, although the rest of the breakfast was OK. The hotel provided what we needed on this occasion, a place to stay close to the airport and our return flight out of Dublin.

Great location for getting to the airport after a trip in Ireland. very close to a lovely beach , if that is what you are looking for. The restaurant at the hotel provided very nice food, can fully recommend eating here.

• Advance Purchase - Double Room

The room was just okay. It could use some updating. The bathroom was frustrating. The toilet did not flush easily. You had to push the handle rather quickly to get it to flush and that's after making several attempts. The shower curtain was not clean. It had mold along the bottom of it. While trying to take a shower you had to fight with the shower curtain due to the vacuum caused by the water pressure. If you moved the shower curtain, water was all over the floor. Soaking the bath mat & making the floor extremely slick.

The location of the hotel was perfect. It was across the street from the ocean. The views were absolutely breathtaking. The staff was helpful & friendly. The Oasis Bar that is attached to the hotel was very nice. Our waitress was very kind & the food was delicious.