Reviews of Whitford House Hotel 4 stars

New Line Road, Wexford, Ireland

#2 of 8 hotels in Wexford

• Superior Single Room

Pillows a bit soft and unsubstantial but I'm nit picking here. Basically could not fault Whitford house.

Large room. Bright. Spotless. Bathroom beautifully fitted out and modern. Excellent food and staff.

• Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

No gardens to walk round and the restaurant was just a pub which was always full of non residents making it difficult to get a table.

Staff very friendly nice rooms with excellent leisure facilities.

• Double or Twin Room - Room Only

My parent's room was a real disappointment. The room (a ground floor standard double) needed updating and there was a musty smell in it. I asked to see if they could be moved but I was told at reception that unfortunately it was not possible to change rooms as the hotel was apparently fully booked. Both my room and a room shared by two other family members (which incidentally was right next door to my parents room) had been modernized and were much better. Also all of the rooms in our case did not have air conditioning and got quite warm and stuffy in the current spell of warm weather. Two staff members (one at breakfast) and one in the bar at an evening meal were a bit on the frosty side. Otherwise staff in general were very nice.

The food was good in general and the breakfast was very good. There was a very good choice and you could have a cooked breakfast to order (rather than a buffet style). There was plenty of parking.

• Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

The bar had a lot of the tables reserved in the day and at night I found this very disappointing as you were looking for somewhere to sit.

We had a lovely room with balcony it cost a little more but as we were there for 3days we wanted the larger room. The hotel is lovely so comfortable and staff friendly. We had food in the bar each night and I have to say it was great. Will be back again hopeful soon.

• Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

The room rate was too expensive. The decor was old and jaded. The room had no shampoos etc in the bathroom. I had to ask for these at reception. When I did ask for them I was questioned if I was sure they weren’t there and only received one of each item despite two peopl staying in the room. No apology. The hotel is over rated. Three stars would be more reflective of the standard and the room rate is far too expensive. Would not stay here again for that price.

I felt our room could have been updated a little, slightly worn in places. The only downfall I have would be in the ladies changing rooms for the pool - a playpen would be brilliant to pop a toddler into while trying to change(especially one who isn't walking yet or just on the move) Changing was quite difficult while trying to keep a wriggly 13month old on the bench.

Staff very friendly & accommodating. I had requested a fridge for storing babies bottles & it was in our room prior to arrival along with a cot. Room was spacious, food in the bar very good with plenty of choice. Breakfast excellent also. Bar staff very efficient. Pool good also.

• Double or Twin Room - Room Only

2nd time I’ve stayed here & love this hotel. Quick & easy to get to off ferry at Rosslare. Welcoming staff & nice sized rooms with comfy beds. Love bar atmosphere & bar menu. Lots of parking

Made welcome from arrival to departure. Extremely helpful on our ancestry search! The dinner on Friday evening was amazing. Service and food exceptional and great atmosphere.. We can't wait to return.

Although guests are requested to reuse towels, the number of lights left on in the unoccupied room after servicing was wasteful and not environmentally friendly.

Breakfast excellent.

• Double or Twin Room - Room Only

Could not fault the whitford hotel,staff so friendly and helpful,food excellent,room spotless,would definitely recommend it ,thank you for a lovely couple of days,Sandra Morris,Dublin 👍

• Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

We arrived at the weekend and the food is so good that the locals use it as well as tourists - and who can blame them. Excellent menu and well presented, downside is that the waiting staff are extremely busy. However I am not sure this is a complaint.

Good location for sights and near the Rosslare ferry. The staff were friendly and very helpful. Bedroom large with good bathroom. We were on the ground floor and had a small terrace with table which was so relaxing after a long drive.

The cooked breakfast was ok asked the next morning ordered waffles and they were quite hard, partner asked for soft poached eggs came out rock hard, I feel sometimes the cooked breakfast could be alittle better as we stay there quite alot, but other than that we always enjoy our stay

The pool area is fabulous, the leisure club staff are so friendly and professional

One little thing! My hairdryer was not working so I rang down to reception and told them and after a few quick questions I was told that they would bring one up from the laundry room. Lovely, they did and I used it and went out for dinner... perfect.. Only to see on Sunday evening when I get home an extra €20 charge on my bank account from the hotel. It wasn't my fault their hairdryer didn't work! I felt a bit like a criminal to be honest. I know a small complaint but really....

Breakfast was nice with a great variety

• Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

Did not like the empty reception on arrival. Found it somewhat ridiculous to have vaping banned - despite the fact it leaves no trace or smell in the air. The view of the carpark from the room was disappointing.

Arrived to find nobody in reception and a group of people waiting. We rang the bell several times and it was ignored. When the staff did arrive they were friendly and efficient but it was not a good start. The food was lovely, staff mostly friendly, and the room very nice. The view was disappointing - over the car park.

• Standard Single Room

everything was good but noisy neighbours returned to there room at 3 in the morning making noise. Not the hotels fault I know. I had to call night porter to complain @ 4 in the morning.

Staff , food and leisure centre fantastic

• Standard Triple Room

Nothing the hotel, the staff, the food were all first class

The location was perfect, the rooms were spacious, clean and very comfortable, the staff were very friendly and the food was lovely

The bar food, especially the chips. I observed a lot of people didn't eat them. It would be nice if they where tasty and served in a modern pale instead of an old white bowl.

The leisure facilities, the carvery food the friendly staff.

• Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

We requested a room on the first floor which we got we would have liked a room with a view and not with the noise of a fan from the kitchen even though it went off after service finished.

Room was very comfortable, food was excellent, service was excellent, staff were very friendly.

Beautiful romantic place for relaxing anniversary stay. Delicious bar food and good value for money. Excellent pool facilities, we both loved it and had a fabulous time!

Room faced main road and a bit noisy

Leisure facilities would be great for those wanting to make use of them, nice clean hotel, good food in restaurant with great maitre de

The room/bathroom smelled quite strongly of bleach. The place was sparkling clean but the smell was a little overpowering.

The breakfast was amazing everything was cooked to order, very tasty, and was piping hot. The staff were really friendly and welcoming.

Nothing at all

Very friendly staff and hotel was so clean and relaxing.the staff where very good at there job especially Brian Mooney he was excellent at his job.and made you feel very welcome at the hotel.we will definitely be staying in this hotel again for sure it was so relaxing. 😊😊😊😊

• Family Double Room

Breakfast staff were far too slow

The pool and gym facilities were good for kids and adults, the bar served great food of a good standard and we were lucky enough to stay on a friday evening when they had a fabulous musician in.

Unfortunately wi-fi was patchy in rooms and along with no mobile phone reception it was a bit of a pain.

Rooms were lovely - spacious, bed very comfortable and nice powerful shower. The bar was so nice with really friendly service. Had two gorgeous meals there. Staff at reception were extremely pleasant also and couldn't do enough for us. Much appreciated!

• Family Double Room

There’s not a thing that we didn’t like it’s fab Thank you to the staff

It’s a lovely hotel the staff are very friendly and Helpful the restaurant is a must for any one staying over the rooms are very nice and comfortable we booked again for July and got a very good deal great service and value Stuart Connell Dublin

• Family Double Room

Parking is an issue for guest because of the busy bar restaurant (open to non guests). Private party guests spill out and took over the lounge area and the bar restaurant. No seating/viewing area to use if the children want to use the pool area, you have to go in swimming with them. No notifications given that local school children have access to the pool too. We had to leave the pool at this point. Pool lockers have no locks, school children left our lockers open with our personal belongings on display. A 4* hotel should provide water in the room. At least a couple of biscuits along with the tea/coffee. I thought their daily rate is excessive for the little you get.

The waiting staff were lovely. Bar food very nice. Breakfast was good. The room was kept very clean. Very large pool.

• Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

Breakfast finished at 10 am on a public holiday 😩 No notification of this unusual finish time Very disappointed with this approach in a 4 star hotel

Beds were comfy

Enjoyed our stay in this hotel but we did receive a genius deal. Our room was lovely and comfortable on one of the coldest days of the Winter. Enjoyed dinner and breakfast very much.

• Double or Twin Room - Room Only

Generous accommodation, food excellent and good value, staff extremely helpful and friendly. Enjoyed my stay with my mother who is a frequent visitor often booking the house with her group of gals.

• Double or Twin Room - Room Only

I was in Wexford for work and I needed WIFI. The WIFI was very poor and I couldn't connect properly to the internet even through my data.

The staff were so nice and they really couldn't do enough for you.There was a leak in one of the rooms we booked and management were very kind at accommodating myself and my mother. The restaurant was extremely busy and the food was excellent.

No room for improvement 👌👌

We love the whitford house hotel have been to it a few times. The restaurant doesn't open at night .all food is served in the bar

• Family Double Room

There is no lift in the hotel.

The room was cozy and comfortable for our family of four. Bathroom was clean. Lovely, safe playground for children. My children are 9 & 6 but this hotel is suitable for children of any age - unless you have a buggy as there is no lift.

• Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

I thought the hotel was far too warm. I felt like I would pass out with the heath. In regards to the restaurant. There was not a large selection and For a pregnant woman there was not really anything plain, that I would be able to stomach so while my starter was delicious. I ordered a main I couldn’t eat.

I loved the room it was lovely and the carvery in the bar was delicious. Just wished it was served past 3pm.

• Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

No lift but only 2 up one story. Bar and restaurant combined and very busy with emphasis on food. Not inviting to sit and have quite drink. Option to sit in foyer _ if you manage to get served in bar. More staff at peak times?

Clean comfortable

The rooms are kind of old style, everything was just a bit dated. Also the gym is not looked after. And when we were back in our room after a bit of workout hoping for a good shower we had no towels. The staff informed us they are just waiting for the delivery from the laundry and will bring it to us later... That's the last thing you expect to hear in a 4-star-hotel.

The hotel was value for money, but nothing exceptional. Breakfast was good and fresh. Plenty of options to choose from.

• Superior Family Room

The staff were extremely helpful, the breakfast was delicious and plentiful. Great pool which the kids loved and child friendly hotel. We have a room for 5 - two adults and three children and it was extremely spacious.

The shower was in the bath. But we managed this

The room was cost and had character to it. The shower was strong. It was a very clean and cosy hotel. Staff were very friendly

a group of us had dinner in the restaurant but the staff started clearing away our plates before everyone in the group was finished, which made us feel really rushed. Also we had to order our desserts with our starters and mains which can be off putting

• Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

My door key card did not work On three occasions

The staff are helpful and professional , and the hotel was comfortable and clean Good food in the bar area with a good atmosphere

Nothing really. If we were to be picky...... the temperature in the breakfast room was either too cold or too warm if near the fan heater and the bar furniture is a bit worn. But we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definitely come back

Very friendly staff and relaxing environment.

I love coming to the whitford hotel. Staff are very friendly,hotel lovely and clean. I phoned up to upgrade and mentioned that it was my birthday. I spoke to someone called Debbie and when we got in the room there was a plate with strawberries and happy birthday wrote on it. Just something little but a nice gesture. Thank you

Second visit and still impressed. From start to finish pleasant friendly staff. Excellent breakfast with vegetarian options. The bar food is also excellent , again with more than average vegetarian options. It’s a very busy spot as the food is so good, they do their utmost to accommodate you. We haven’t been disappointed yet !

• Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

It drives me crazy when hotel has the note to save the planet and asks to leave the towels on the rails if we want to re-use them, and after I do it, they replace them all.... This time they even took open toiletries! Not eco-friendly at all. Could use more rails/ hooks in the bathroom. Food in the restaurant was all right but not 5 star.

Very helpful staff. Nice big room and bathroom (superior), huge comfy bed. Good food in the bar. Nice bar and restaurant. Pool area and steam room very pretty and well maintained (Jacuzzi was crowded so we didn't get a chance to try it).

The fact that leisure centre only opened at 9am on Sat and Sun.As breakfast finished at 10 I didn't have time for q a skin before breakfast .8.30 w0uld be great

Food ,staff,price

• Standard Triple Room

Internet was at times difficult to access but didn’t really bother me as it wasn’t a business trip.

Staff were exceptionally friendly, beds were really comfortable, breakfast was excellent, and the leisure center was very clean and pleasant to use.

• Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

Bar was serving food so not really suitable for just a drink. Breakfast buffet was missing a lot off the menu and they microwave the scrambled eggs which is awful. Not major things really but did find it a bit pricey. Will look for deals next time.

Lovely spacious bright room, nice and quiet even though the hotel seemed quite busy. Staff were all lovely.

Liked everything.

Lovely warm welcome and the seating area in the reception was extremely comfortable and inviting. The room was very nicely decorated and very clean and so to for the bathroom. Dinner was average in the bar. Bar staff were were extremely friendly and accommodating. Highly recommend.

• Double or Twin Room - Room Only

Bed was very uncomfortable and pillows flat. Hotel is a little outdated but clean. They just need to get new beds and fluffy pillows.

Nice facilities, pool, jacuzzi etc. Good selection of food from the bar and option to eat in restaurant either. Staff very accommodating

• Double or Twin Room - Room Only

The only problem I had with the Whitford Hotel was the smell of air freshner in the room. It seems to be such a common thing in hotels now now and is just awful. Plus It's really not good to be breathing in those chemicals. Otherwise a lovely bright, warm Irish hotel and I would recommend it..!

Dinner was great in the bar/restaurant and even had a vegan choice. Head waiter very good at his job. Attentive and friendly in a natural way...The room was clean and very comfortable though a tad too warm for us.

• Family Double Room

Wi-Fi could have been a bit stronger

The staff were so friendly and it was cosy, warm and inviting. Pool area for kids was brilliant. The hotel looked lovely with Christmas decorations and it was a joy to stay there.

That the Pool was out of commission due to upgrade but looking forward to the next time

The Bar food was excellent as usual, great atmosphere in and around the Hotel.

receptionist and the lady who looked after our table in the lounge/restaurant and a big thank you to the lady who took our food order, she was cheerful and nothing was to much to ask

• Superior Family Room

I have never stayed at a hotel that was so busy yet continuously had a happy, joyous buss about it. the staff are excellent, helpful and extremely friendly and the food is the same excellent standard. The guest is to the forefront in everything this hotel does - my friend and I have made a decision to come back and stay longer.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Hairdryer cable fixed into drawer so had to use sitting. But to see in mirror you needed to be standing. Mirror needs lowering or hairdryer cables need to be longer.

Perfect for what we needed. Good breakfast and restaurant. Lovely size room.

• Family Double Room

The beds were comfy, the food was beautiful, the surroundings were plush and elegant. Thought the bedroom was plain enough compared to some of the rooms shown on the website which were beautiful. I know the beautiful rooms are there, we just didn't get put into one. But that's nit picking really, we had a thoroughly enjoyable stay.

• Double or Twin Room - Room Only

We were there on a Friday night, the live music was quite poor and a lot of people left around 11 so we got a taxi into town. A good band and dancing would keep people there longer.

Beautiful Hotel great atmosphere.

• Standard Triple Room

I would have liked fresh bottled water in the room every day and a new shower cap on each day.

The rooms were spotless and the food devine. We ate in the bar both nights and service and value was excelled.

• Standard Single Room

I've stayed in numerous Irish hotels over the past years. Most offer the same standard sterile room and service. NONE equal the quality of service I experienced in this family run hotel. While it was my first time staying here I'm already looking forward to my next visit. Staff were excellent, room was excellent, gym was excellent and the food, especially the breakfast was delicious.

• Standard Single Room

The staff were very friendly. The room was very spacious and the decor is lovely. The pool is nice, but having to change in open changing room full of children from swimming lessons is not appropriate and a bit awkward for hotel guests. Though the bar and breakfast staff were very polite and extremely efficient the quality of food wasn't very good in my opinion.

Rooms were very warm at night and this was in winter time !

The service from the bar staff for food as well as drinks is very good. The breakfast service is also very good. Everywhere is very clean and there is a good ambiance about the place.

• Superior Single Room

Everything in the hotel was excellent. It is located on the edge of town, which means you need the car to get into the centre. But it's convenient for the Dublin road.

Very pleasant and friendly hotel. Room was extremely comfortable and well equipped, and the bathroom was spacious. Staff very helpful.

• Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

From the moment we arrived it was smiles all the way. The staff are exceptionally welcoming and friendly. Efficient , courteous and eager to please. Couldn't fault any part of the stay. Food excellent. So impressed we are heading back in January with extended family.

• Standard Triple Room

There really wasn't anything that I didn't like but if there was one thing they could do - I'd say having somebody play the piano in the reception area in the mornings after breakfast would be a nice touch. Such a lovely area to relax and read the newspaper.

Fabulous family run hotel, staff are wonderful. Myself, my sister and my 85 year old mam stayed in hotel, bedroom was large and on the ground floor with a walk in shower as I had requested. Slept soundly in very comfortable bed. The location was perfect for us, not far from town but far enough. We had a car so were accessible to town, short taxi ride away. We reserved a table in the bar for food on the Saturday night while watching the Ireland matches - we were really well looked after by all the staff. Great music entertainment in the bar as well. Very relaxed and homely atmosphere which was just what we wanted. The leisure pool is lovely although we didn't get in the "ice cold" bath : ) The hotel decor is really nice, the colours and fabrics used in the upholstery were really nice - they certainly got their interior design right. Also some lovely touches with a china tea cup & saucer with a flower in it as a table setting. We also got complimentary freshly baked biscuits and lemon curd on the Friday we arrived - they were fabulous. Plenty of on site parking as well. I would definitely return to this hotel. Most importantly my mam enjoyed her stay, it was a birthday gift from myself and my sister.

• Double or Twin Room - Room Only

We enjoyed our one night stay, The bar food and breakfast menu and food were excellent as was the service and room comfort. Even though the hotel was full we did not hear a sound. Full marks.

• Family Double Room

There was no phone coverage in the hotel, you had to go outside of the hotel to make a phone call. The water in the pool was cold and the pool area was cold.

• Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

The mattress on the bed was sunken on one side. The addition of an extra mattress top did not help much but aside from that, comfortable room and lovely hotel

Attractive room. Friendly staff. Quiet hotel.

• Double or Twin Room - Room Only

Very little room in bathroom for toiletries (bags on floor) very deep bath for access to shower. Bedroom contained 2 double beds thus we had to walk crab like around beds due to lack of space. (double room for 2 booked)

Very friendly helpful staff. Good meals. Warm and comfortable.

Food in the bar was very nice and good service, however, staff were using hoovers to clean the floor while we were still eating... not appropriate. Some Reception better than others.

Food in the bar was very nice and good service. Breakfast very nice and staff pleasant.

• Superior Single Room

Food on first night was average. I thought the fish would be fresher but I think it was'nt the first time through the fryer. Taxi ordered but did'nt arrive on time.

Ambience was really nice. Quality hotel. Parking good. Bar good. Breakfast good. Quiet. Good leisure centre. Location is good.

Our room had a actual key very big and clumsy to carry round. Would rather the key card which some other rooms had. A bit pricey for 2 nights without a dinner not included but would visit again.

Swimming pool is great plus the free breakfast in the morning was top notch. The location is great close for sightseeing if you have a car though. Visit the famine muesum it's great.

• Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

Best hotel we have stayed in. Very very busy but the staff were nevertheless invariably friendly and helpful. The atmosphere surrounding the hotel was one of all concerned doing their best to endure that our stay was enjoyable and memorable. The Irish are, of course, very special people.

• Double or Twin Room - Room Only

the walls between the rooms are not soundproof, this didn't bother us as we were there at a quiet time of the year but could be annoying if staying during peak holiday season.

staff very friendly, facilities and hotel comfort very good also, location ideal for exploring the south east and only 5 min drive to wexford town.

All good, hadn't done much research on it before booking was very impressed overall.

Great hotel, would use again. Not far from town centre - €6 in a taxi. Great bar & restaurant on site so you could easily stay in if you prefer. Pool & Gym is also very good. Great breakfast and they will bring to the room (€5 per person charge). Staff friendly and professional.

nothing all good.

Staff had a warm welcome. Excellent. Rooms spacious and comfortable. spotless. Meals excellent. Couldn't praise everything enough. Will certainty stay at your hotel again.

• Family Double Room

Breakfast was disappointing, yoghurts out of date, shell in my scrabbled eggs. Left sign out for room to be serviced and sheets were not even straightened and 3 dirty glasses left on table.