Reviews of The Gateway Hotel Athwalines 5 stars

Ambika Niketan, Athwa Lines, Surat Dumas Road, 395007 Surat, India

#2 of 32 hotels in Surat

The first night There was a noise of Mouse on the...
    • Standard Twin Room

The first night There was a noise of Mouse on the ceiling for the whole night and in the morning I found that the mOuse they was even inside my room and they eat the sugar .

awesome stay.
    • Standard Twin Room

awesome stay.......................................................................................... would like to come again ...................................... value for oney.............................................

Standards are droping
    • Superior King Room

They gave us dirty room full of stains with a foul smell. Electric plugs were all falling out. Have been going there for seven years and never had a problem like this.

Excellent staff and hotel. Great breakfast.
    • Standard Twin Room

Staff. Absolutely excellent.Very helpful. Like family to us. Hotel is in a peaceful area of a noisy city. The little lady at reception was the absolute star of our stay. This lady needs to be given a senior position. We all loved her smile and she was at our beck and call. Shes the absolute reason i will advertise this specific hotel.

Very satisfactory. I expected much more for the price paid and it being a 5 star hotel.
    • Executive Double Room

The hotel shown in pictures on the booking websites is not a true reflection of the actual hotel. Very disappointing hotel. The lobby bathrooms are terrible. The breakfast is satisfactory however the entire hotel needs an upgrade including the outside

They need to make a good effort to provide value for money.
    • Superior King Room

The lobby area is very plain. The restaurant food was not at all up to the expectation of a 4 star hotel. Our dinner was disappointing.

It is within the city area so easy to get to.

OK Hotel but did not feel 5* compared with other 5* we have experienced. Staff were great.
    • Executive Double Room with River View

Lack of facilities as the hotel was going through refurbishment. We had an executive room but found it relatively small/cramped.

Had 2 restaurants and a cafe.

It was horrible.
    • Executive Double Room with River View

We had booked this for our newly married friends for their first night. I personally went to the hotel to make sure they decorate the room and even paid extra for decoration. The lady on duty charged us everything and even said make sure BOTH your fiends bring IDs tonight. When my couple friends reached late night after their wedding, the staff said they only have reservation for one person. They did not mention that we may have accidentally selected only one person. Hotel did not tell me this when I was paying in person earlier in the day. The staff was very rude to our friends. We had hoped our friends would enjoy their first night in a five star hotel but the experience was horrible. Additionally after paying extra for one person past midnight, their room didn't have lights!! My friends had to wait until the lights were fixed. I had very high hopes for gateway but it did not provide good customer service or comfort to my guests. I would never book this place again nor recommend to anyone.

Hotel staff excellent especially front desk staff Mr pradeep went out n beyond d normal duties.
    • Standard Twin Room

Wen dud d booking we told den 2 adults n 1 child 17 years of age but was given a 2 sleeper I did not complain Booking. Com could have told us of renovations being done to d property.

Breakfast was great Bed good but felt pillows were a little hard

Pretty much ordinary as far as hotels go.
    • Standard Twin Room

The hotel is quite dated and is in need of quite a bit of TLC. Carpets and furniture look dirty and do not lend to a clean and healthy environment

Location and ease of getting to it. Good restaurants in the property and surrounding area

Best hotel in Surat

Spa did not have Male therapist Security checks were far fetched each time we entered No taxis or public transport nearby Too far of a walk to near amenities or shopping

Breakfast was an infusion of east and west Grand foyer

Mixed bag.
    • Superior King Room

Two things - the sockets in the room that I was allotted were not functioning properly so I had to call for help and somehow the gentleman managed to plug the power plug meant for charging our phones. Also the mounting of television wasnt properly done. Having a proper and functional socket in the room is very basic and they must fix is properly. C'mon it's a Taj property not some ordinary 2-3 star hotel. Lastly, I saw the receptionist writing my credit card number and expiry date in a hard copy document even though they have full details of my credit card. Once I highlighted the security and privacy concerns, senior manager struck off the details and explained that these papers are managed properly. But it is quite unusual for a hotel like this to manage credit card details so casually. Hope the feedback is taken in stride and things improve.

Location and friendly staff

Great Hotel made special by its staff
    • Standard Twin Room

Room cleanliness can be improve a bit in terms of bathroom and amenities.

The highlight of the hotel is the staff, who is very attentive and keen to fulfill all requirements of guests. Guests feel welcomed, pampered with choices and leave happy from this property. Local cuisine is good in hotel restaurants. Morning river views are calm and rejuvenating in the busy city of Surat.

Would not like to go there again
    • Standard Twin Room

I have stayed in this hotel several times before. This time I could see a marked deterioration in the facility as well as services. Even the food quality has deteriorated. It is moving closer to Ginger standards

Almost nothing

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Great staff and amazing stay..thanks pooja..
    • Executive Double Room with River View

Too much inside the city..no hoarding or banners to show the routes..and people dont know the hotel too..

Location and staff..was very well trained..was impressed ..

Not a recommended stay away
    • Executive Double Room with River View

No accomodation for an early check out to have breakfast and the breakfast that was recived was sad that only fed one person, we being a family if 3 with and infant. Also when requested something at the breakfast station we were ridiculed.

The cleaning staff and staff at the entrace were very friendly and helpful

Have stayed here on several occasions because of location...

Some of the floors looked tired. Need renovations.

Have stayed here on several occasions because of location for business needs. Buffet meals were value for money.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

Avearge for a 5 star hotel. They dont care for their guests query and dont even reply back.
    • Standard Twin Room

The staff is hopeless and while paying from credit card please be carefull they will charge you twice, and will only dont know how to return your money back. Never use booking.com the site i s complicated and having low security.

THE ROOM WAS NICE AND THE BATHROOM WAS VERY GOOD.

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

A great place to stay while in Surat
    • Standard Queen Room

I do not have any negatives about this hotel.

We stayed for three nights, and the staff was very attentive from the check-in to the check-out process. We were informed of the amenities at check-in and we were happy to know the pastry shop was open 24 hours. This came in handy since we invited some guest for coffee, expresso, and pastry in the lounge area. The location is about a 20 minute ride from the rail station. Outside of the hotel taxis, and autos (auto rickshaws are available) This hotel seemed like a busy place, coming back to the hotel at 01:30 am, and the lobby was full of people including the pastry shop. This seems like a popular spot. I would definitely book at this hotel again. Sincerely, Tisha

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

Nothing great.
    • Superior King Room

The promise in the ad is false. Promise was no advance payment, no credit card required. Where as hotel staff demanded for advance payment for reservation. Pl do not post fale things.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

The hotel needs a renovation, hotel needs to make sure that...
    • Standard Queen Room

The hotel needs a renovation, hotel needs to make sure that each bed has a flat sheet. Not as 5 star as expected. Service at the breakfast and buffet is at times quite slow and slack.

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

International standards need to improve
    • Superior King Room

the mattress was lumpy ansd v uncomfortable. Gave me a backache. the sofas have lived their life, badly need a change. The restaurant did offer A la carte meals, but sadly were unable to make the food without chilli/ spice and oil. the waiter refused to accomodate my request. The restaurant staff was quite untrained at times.

i liked the river view, the food was good as per surat standards but average as per international standards. It could be better.

• Reviewed: 25 December 2016

Excellantly located on river bank with great view.
    • Superior King Room

Registration staff lesser equipped to cope up with international bookings. Few illogical formalities to provide Indian tax number or telephone number. How come international traveller provide indian details?? Bathroom should always have tooth brush and shaving kit. Why should guest need to ask for it?

Location was excellent. Good spread on breakfast. Comfortable place and good rooms

• Reviewed: 23 December 2016

Worst experience..don't stay at the gateway...
    • Superior King Room

I stayed for two days but in this tym period no washroom amenities have been changed..asked for tea bags and when the staff came they throw away the bags randomly in the tea cattle area..asked house keeping to clean the room but they were busy and when i came back after breakfast i waited for an hour , in the mean tym they clean the room..wifi stopped before me checking out ...products of washroom were pathetic..i recommend ginger and TGB but sincerely not this..

Seriously nothing..if u have ever been to 5 star u wont feel the same after entering in to the room...staff is rigid n arrogant..even the guard can stop u that to with very less courtesy...

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

Hotel was disappointing.
    • Standard Queen Room

The room given had to be changed because of bad beds and bad smells in the room. The Bedsprings were worn and the mattress sagged badly. They were also inflexible about allowing us to pack a few sandwiches and pastries from the breakfast buffet which we had paid for, when we had to leave early to catch a train

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

I would only recommend this place as this is the best you can get in terms of a room.
    • Standard Queen Room

First off thank you Booking.com, I went the hotel and ask the front office what is the best rate they could offer me (I was checking it at 12 midnight and would check out next day morning) they quoted 7500 rupees. Since I was already there I and did not want to go elsewhere I quickly logged into booking.com and found the price 5130!! for the same room with free breakfast. I booked it then and then via my phone and then just checked in LOL. save 2500 rupees. I always thought that hotels gave you a better deal if you went directly than online sites at the last moment. I asked for a reminded and wake up call did not receive any. Also one of the phones were not working but they have 2 more phones one in the bathroom too so no issues as such. Apart from this the room is really good. If you get 500 bucks off on breakfast in any deal then take it. Cause the free breakfast is not upto the mark. The breakfast was not "star" quality. Fruits were only Watermelon and Papaya. As far as I remember a star hotel breakfast buffer always had Kiwi's and some seasonal fruit and it had atleast 5 types of fruits. I remember well when I was in south and on raw food I would go to star hotels for breakfast and hog on the fruits. The food was ok there was no natural jams but the regular mixed fruit jam probably Kissan. Here to I remember star restaurants either carrying the usual St Dalfour 100% Fruit Jams & Conserves or some homemade fresh fruit seasonal jams. The south Indian fare was so so, overall I was below expectations.

The room is just too good the bed is comfortable the dish TV has a huge amount of channels. The bathroom is good well equipped and clean. Room is well maintained. Toiletries provided are adequate they even and were of a decent brand that is Biotique. Good Shower too. About the breakfast The muesli was good you can't go wrong with it and the dosa was well made, The staff was very responsive and attentive. They got me a lot of foods to my seat.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

An excellent getaway from the gride
    • Standard Twin Room

There could be some board marking the direction to the hotel, coz for a person who is driving down the first time its difficult to find his way to the hotel.

My stay was very comfortable.Excellent staff and prompt service with always a warm smile.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Nice comfortable hotel
    • Standard Queen Room

I can't say that anything was not up to scratch but the only thing I would want was a drink - but that is because of the state laws not the hotel!!

It was a very short stay. I went to my meetings the morning after staying there and they very kindly facilitated me to get a shower before boarding my return flight home to the UK. Great location and very good value on the car with driver for the full day.

Comfortable family stay near all main city attractions
    • Standard Queen Room

Kids play area should be created. Car hire rates should be lower. More non veg options in breakfast buffet. Lunch and dinner buffet rates and room service rates must be lower

Superb room service and food quality. Good staff at reception and great River view

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

Lots of scope for improvement
    • Superior King Room

Needs considerable improvement in quality and freshness of breakfast and customers service during breakfast. Large staff but most of them are inattentive and careless.

Friendly and professional staff at reception.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

Fantastic business hotel.
    • Standard Twin Room

I did not get the river facing room.

It's a perfect hotel for a business traveler. Breakfast and dinner was great. Service is impeccable. Staff very helpful.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

Everything!

Nothing!!

Everything!! Been to this hotel 3 times and enjoyed my stay even more each time.. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Surat..

Good stay, but scope for improvments

The welcome !!

Noise

Noise

nice property

nice property

Staff has good service mind.
    • Standard Twin Room

Staff has good service mind.

Good
    • Standard Twin Room

Nothing at all it's nice

Courteous staff excellent location
    • Standard Twin Room

Room was smelling may be because of dampness

Courteous staff excellent location

• Standard Twin Room

Late service / construction going on

Staff are friendly especially Premila

Nothjng

Comfortable

• Standard Twin Room

Why don't they serve soft drinks or cold drinks by the swimming pool chairs.

Comfortable

Wifi

• Superior King Room

Toilets and old rooms..needs renovation

good

good

Had a wonderful time. Staff are all friendly and the food choices are great

Nothing not to like

The variety of items at breakfast and the service is exceptional

Not good
    • Superior King Room

Nearly everything. Everything was too costly. This is not a 5 star hotel. It all worn out. They charge extra for everything

the coffee was not bad

Good
    • Superior King Room

Rooms were not clean properly it was nice overall

Food was great restaurant staff brilliant!!!

Everything was perfect

Staffs were really nice

• Superior King Room

Not worth as they charge

Good for nothing
    • Standard Twin Room

Property is an overcharged crap !!!

Only advantage is a location !!!

Staff

Exellant

Tea at the lobby

Everything was of TAZ standard
    • Superior King Room

Staff was good , cleanliness was superb and food was excellent

Everything was of TAZ standard

Swiming pool should be heated one, considering its a 5-star...
    • Superior King Room

Swiming pool should be heated one, considering its a 5-star hotel. Non-veg food was not that great.

Beds comfy and breakfast good

Hotel is a little dated in the bedrooms for it’s price. Would have liked a better pool area.

Beds comfy and breakfast good

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

Always such friendly staff.
    • Superior King Room

Always such friendly staff. Buffet is not bad. Nice view on top of the river. No noise.

Rooms are little smaller

Outdated overpriced scrap

No amenities working , overpriced scrap , outdated property

will recommend friends and family.
    • Standard Twin Room

The staff very welcoming waiters were best overall the best.

Everything what we expected

Very good stay
    • Standard Twin Room

Too much noise from the crowd in the adjacent conference hall.

Very Good
    • Standard Twin Room

The staff was excellent. Food quality was good too!

Nice trip with awesome staffs with nice accommodation
    • Standard Twin Room

Awesome breakfast, lunch and dinner with appropriate prices

Absolutely gread

Everything good

GYM and Tea

small room , location , view

GYM and Tea

Spot on for stay in Surat
    • Standard Twin Room

moisture smell in the room

very well maintained property

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

• Standard Twin Room

The reception was very cordial and friedly, especially Pooja.. they offer really a grand welcome.

Excellent place stay. Hightly recommended.
    • Standard Twin Room

Extremely friendly customer responsive staff and cleanliness.

Would not stay here again

Dine in service bad service food took 40 min

Poor food quality

Spa n swimming pool

Worth staying
    • Standard Twin Room

Good atmosphere, nice location. Great service.

all over good