Reviews of The Gateway Hotel Residency Road 4 stars

# 66, Residency Road, 560025 Bangalore, India

#13 of 411 hotels in Bangalore

Room was a bit small. Washroom didn’t have a latch to close the door properly.

The hotel staff were very cordial and helpful. The restaurant manager at breakfast gave personal attention to us and kept suggesting new dishes and served us really well.

Bar isn`t so nice. Was very crowdy at weekends with local people. No place for hotel guests. Breakfast can be done better. Bakery isn`t good.

Everything was allright. Friendly staff. Greatfull for Smokers , smoking lounge at the lobby. Very nice and clean rooms.

The staff at this hotel is incredibly attentive. Hotel location is very good, the food at the Karavalli Restaurant was outstanding. Tried different dishes each time we were there, and everything was excellent. The Karavalli restaurant, located on the hotel property is an oasis, with lush tropical foliage and a water fountain, and extensive menu. You don't even hear all noisy traffic and car honking when you are there. Hotel Gateway Residency service exceeds expectations. Currency exchange easy and convenient. Excellent spa services. They were also helpful in making arrangements for us to hire a driver for an entire day. We did this on three different occasions, and all drivers were very professional. Certainly recommend hiring a driver if you have plans to spend time in Bangalore. Very reasonable price and very convenient. I would most certainly recommend this hotel for anyone staying in Bangalore.

• Standard Twin Room

Rooms were very dated...Furniture, toilets etc too old... View from room corner room given to us was terrible. We were given this as a room upgrade, so expected something a bit nice. But was very disappointed when we saw the room. Can't imagine what the regular rooms are like then...

I could eat the noise from outside. I think the fans frkm the ventilation system...

People were fantastic! Everybody were very friendly! The rooms are very clean.

The lobby coffee shop was really pathetic. I requested for a cup of tea while in a meeting and the tea that was served was really stale (re-heated) which had again gone cold, and was simply too bad. I fail to understand how someone can spoil a simple thing like a cup of tea. It would have been much better if they just provided hot water with tea bag rather than attempting to make tea. They did provide another cup but that too was too bad.

Generally all was good.

Staff was very polite, helpful. I arrived to the hotel a bit earlier than the time for check-in but my room was already ready and they gave me the key earlier, and when I check-out was no problem for me to still enjoy some time in the pool and wait for my flight. They also offered me service for a taxi and they arrange evrything. Very good location of the hotel.

• Executive Suite with City Or Pool View

The rooms are beginning to look tired and the hotel is in need of refurbishment. I am assured this will be happening shortly once a sister hotel has been done. Was annoyed for the first time by a request for a part payment during my stay as a result of a "house limit" of 40000INR on the bill - do they not want customers to stay in the best rooms?

Great location. close to shopping but also central for business purposes. It is a smaller hotel compared to some but as a result has a cosier feel and is more personal than the large factory hotels. Great restaurant (Caravali) in the hotel grounds serving great local food.

Quite expensive hotel

Centrally situated, Close to MG Road, Pool on quite side, SPA, good opportunitiy to receive your Business Partners or friends to talk

We had a room facing on to Residency Road, which is busy both day and night. Tip for other travellers - ask for a room away from the road, & as high up as possible to avoid being disturbed!

This hotel is in a great location in the heart of the city, with many shops, bars and restaurants right on the doorstep. The facilities are excellent, and the staff do everything possible to make your stay a memorable one.

Taj hospitality lived up to it's reputation again...a few notches above the rest. Naming only a few individuals would be injustice. Kudos to the entire staff @ Gateway - house keeping, front office, chefs, security, et al. Sad we don't have more Tajs across the world.

We were misled by person who checked us in about an "upgraded room" - but realised later was actually an inferior room - with no health faucet,roadside noisy and overly bright location and a musty smell! Taj standards in Gateway have dropped miserably.

Location is excellent.

• Standard Twin Room

The workers Manish, Sushmita and Priyanka were very friendly and helpful. The kitchen staff were also brilliant as when my wife fell ill they were quick to make some hot remedies to aid her. Overall, the staff were very polite and kind.

• Standard Twin Room

I do like a bath-tub - showers only here! Return trip (daytime)to the airport was arranged though the hotel and was well over three times the price of the cab from the airport late at night. Be aware.

Welcoming staff. Every effort was made to make sure our stay was comfortable. In particular we have a food allergy and the chef and waiting staff took the greatest of care to ensure that we had a good choice of food. Restaurant staff remembered from day to day our preferences. The weekend lunch buffet and the midweek lunch buffet (brunch) were excellent. Sunday lunch salads were spectacular!

• Superior Twin Room

It's actually more geared towards business travelers so as a tourist you don't necessarily feel THAT comfortable around during the day as everyone is in suits and attending meetings etc.

It was a lovely hotel - clean and comfortable, friendly staff, good restaurants.

Very helpful and pleasant staff, comfortable room at an excellent location, lovely Christmas decorations, there isn't much I can fault about The Gateway.We didn't eat in the hotel, hence cannot comment about that.

The location was amazing. Each and every staff member was courteous and always smiling for any assistance. The food was spot on. The linen was clean and well done. The washrooms were clean. The mini bar was well stocked. Overall a great place to book.

better house keeping required. Old sanitary items and need replacement

overall good stay, very comfortable, excellent breakfast and very courteous staff.

Nothing !!

We stayed at the this hotel for 3 nights and it was an enjoyable stay! We arrived early in the morning and the staff were so accommodating and understanding . The staff were exceptional and the food was really tasty and had a good variety . The rooms were spacious and very clean . The hotel is located in a central place, walking distance to MG and Brigade road which has shopping malls and local shops as well as local restaurants and fast food outlets . Overall we really enjoyed our stay and will definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Bangalore !

I can't think of anything that I didn't like!!! :)

Beautiful property conveniently located in Bangalore. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the rooms are very nice, comfortable and quiet. The food services are very good. The bar area is lovely. This was a very good experience!!

TV switch-on system is a bit complicated.

This is a great hotel with super friendly staff, fast internet, various options for breakfast, super clean room, great view. Everything was perfect.

Situated on a very busy, noisy and polluted road. Hotel itself was okay I just don't think Bangalore city in itself is a good destination for any part of a holiday.

Good restaurant and fine for a business hotel as it's very central.

Maybe an extra blanket, weather was a bit cool! A Tissue box in the bathroom

Staff extremely friendly! efficient Airpot pick-up, real quiet room, very safe, relaxed atmosphere, bathroom top clean, as was the room, lovely dinner, great location, always again!!!

Carpets at the guest room corridor, old and looked stale spoiling the hotel decor

Debnath gym instructor was very great in assisting his guest, excellent warmth and courteous and does beyond his job

I loved everything.

The staff was amazing. I had to leave a day earlier and they were helpful with me in adjusting my reservation through booking.com. They also held my luggage the whole day after I checked out. The breakfast buffet was awesome. I loved the room. The hotel itself was beautiful. The location was good. This will be my go to hotel in Bangalore.

• Superior Twin Room

the food of the 2 restaurants is good, not really great, so the prices are a little expensive. breakfast is great !

excellent hotel. great service from ALL the staff. quiet and very clean.

great location, staff are very corporate especially front office Mr. Gowrishankar. please visit this place you are in heart of the city, you can go any where like shopping, pub, everything close to this hotel......

Sometimes we had to repeat ourselves a couple of times before the staff understood what we wanted - that could be improved.

Great breakfast & superb amenities

• Standard Twin Room

Excellent personnel - all of them were very friendly and helpful. Every one of them came across as genuinely warm and service-oriented, and not bland and inauthentic. Also the food - both at the breakfast buffet and at Karavalli restaurant - was outstanding.

Very friendly and welcoming people in the hotel. Very Good ambiance and we were very happy to be there in Gateway Hotel. The breakfast was really great, with many south Indian specialties continental and multiple varieties with signature taste. When we left, we could not stuff in, few snacks and beverages in our luggage and we left over the same in the hotel room. The same day I received an email about lost and found items with list of items found in the room. Many Thanks to the extended gesture of honesty. Best wishes.

• Superior Twin Room

The windows towards the street are letting a lot of street noise to come. Generally speaking its a between 4 and 5 stars hotel, since it would need a bit of renovation and adaptation. The bar is closed due to the new governement regulation about alcohol.

The hotel is very well situated. Breakfast is excellent. And staff is professional.

• Standard Twin Room

I would have liked price reduction for longer stay.

The ambience, the location, the staff friendliness, the food, the spa, clean rooms etc, were excellent. We even got a food package for our return flight!

None. All was perfect:)

Its in a heart of the city which is very convenient to go around even some places are walkable from the hotel. The ambience is good. Very clean and well maintained rooms and services. Staff's are wonderful people and very helpful. We had a great stay. Hopefully we get to stay on our every visit to India:)

Professionalism and the gentleness of the lobby staff. In spite being in a very busy area, the calm of the room, Food is excellent and the service outstanding

• Executive Double Room

Wi-Fi could have been really better

The Breakfast spread is one of the Best that I have come across most of the Taj Hotels which is compounded with the exceptional hospitality of the Restaurant Staff. And well the choice of Dosa's is really no match!!

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Executive Suite with City Or Pool View

Like most westerners travelling to India, I hate all the supplementary taxes that are heaped on your bill adding between 25 to 40% to your bill. This is ridiculous and should be included in the quoted price.

I have used this hotel for many years, it is small, confortable, close to Brigade road shopping and close to the center. The pool is small but adequate, has a newly refurbished gym and a superb restaurant - Caravali - in the grounds situated in lush greenery.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

• Executive Suite with City Or Pool View

Everything was just perfect !!!!

one of the best properties by Taj Gateway and the same warm hospitality delivered with a smile. Excellent Breakfast, Superb Rooms & Extremely friendly & helpful Staff. Everything was just perfect for the quick holiday.

• Superior Twin Room

The choked AC ducts caused a musty odor to fill up the room. I am sure the engineering staff will realize the AC ducts in polluted cities need complete cleaning through and through every week or so.

I was impressed with the hotel staff's attention to detail, the staff's friendliness (especially the restaurant staff (Anand, Ronny, Yenoch, Pradeep, Shyne, and many others whose names I unfortunately don't remember), the morning and evening chefs (Tushar and Dilbar), the restaurant manager (Sandip), and the lobby manager (Samantha)), and in general everyone's attitude to make you feel you were one of them. When I developed a cough and cold, they immediately were all hands to make me an ayurvedic drink (Kadha) on several occasions. Likewise, when the lobby manager noticed I was really not feeling well one evening upon my return to the hotel, which I really was owing to a bad bug I caught somewhere in Bangalore, she asked me if I needed anything and then sent some soda water with lime to my room. Later, up in the room, they called me to find out if they should call a doctor for me. Many a time, the restaurant staff and the chefs went to the extent of preparing something outside the menu items just so as to make me feel really comfortable and well again soon. And it all did work and make a huge difference. This is indeed that edge you discover over and above the best of the rest that goes without saying. The housekeeping staff on the third floor were also fabulous. I had placed a photograph of my spiritual master on the desk in my room. And the housekeeping folk on their own, everyday, would place a set of fresh flowers in front and around the photograph, respecting not only my beliefs, but also in the process elevating themselves unbeknownst as it was on the dual arduous paths of devotion and faith.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

• Standard Twin Room

Mixed up my vegetarian room service order with a non veg meal...small flaw in otherwise stellar experience.

Some of the staff appeared raw /untrained particularly in room service....but otherwise awesome property and awesome stay

The most amazing staff you will ever meet: so helpful and hospitable. Everything about this property was great. Made you feel like its home, even when you're in the city for the first time ever. The food, the cleanliness, the view from the rooms, the comfort.

Nothing particular.

Excellent staff. Room was very clean & tidy. We had a problem with overflowing water in the bathroom. Staff came & fixed it in double quick time. An excellent location. Very close to MG Road & the UN City mall. Karavalli is a signature restaurant. Had dinner one evening. Outstanding food. Outstanding service.

The safe didn't seem to work correctly at first, but Mr. Michael Das came at quick notice and eventually replaced the battery and all was back in working order. Because of the quick reaction time, it was a very small problem, and the safe was big enough for large laptop, IPAD and all my electronics - a dream for the hotels. Free wifi was good, but not the best unless you purchased a special package, but with 4 free devices was perfect for my two laps and smart phones.

The staff was super attentive. The kitchen was wonderful, great breakfast with much variety that changed every day. The chefs were even willing to make special items on request from pizzas to luxury cuisine to really tender kebabs for that slight hunger at the bar. Vishnu P.R.was excellent at the bar. Room was comfortable and large enough for a couple to enjoy with sacs and computers. The climate control functioned beautifully, so that sleeping was a pleasure (the controls are adjustable at half degrees centigrade). The Spa pedicurist did a great job both with massage and foot care. I also got to use the swimming ool, which was warm enough in the afternoon and clean. Additionally, cleanliness seemed to be a motto at the hotel. All was there - including the amenities.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

Too many mosquitoes & flies in the outdoor dining area.

I have been to the Karavalli restaurant several times in my travels to Bengaluru. The food was of impeccable quality this time as well. Service was outstanding.

The hotel was very clean, had great facilities, friendly and helpful staff and a great buffet breakfast. It was very close to the major shopping areas in Bangalore. The manager was helpful even when we were using a taxi service that wasn't from the hotel. A great experience and would definitely return if ever in Bangalore again

Entry from gate towards front poarch. A sliding gate on the right side when you enter can make entry better

Courtesy of security & house keeping persons

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. Service was excellent from all staff and they really went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. The staff are all very warm and friendly. Rooms were very nice and well maintained. The other highlight was the buffet breakfast which had plenty of variety and even had a lot of healthy alternatives. We really enjoyed the made to order dosa, paratha, poori or eggs in the mornings. I couldnt fault anything. Will definitely be back to stay at this hotel!

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

This was my second stay in three months and it felt like the management had changed I originally booked three nights and then had to cancel and rebook for two nights I was charged for the cancelled night ! Instead of the hotel immediatly apologiding i needed to go through my luggage to find the cancellation confirmation before they would book me in as if i had not been telling the truth Very very poor Also breakfact service almost non existant...plates not cleared away from mine or adjoining tables and ignored by staff...i had to ask three times for tea !

Location...room comfortable...keravalle separate indian restaurant

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

• Standard Twin Room

the room was really quite small, smaller than the others on this floor. laundry was not upto par for a hotel of that class (didn't check, as i thought in such a hotel it surely will be good, but it was not so nicely ironed) but what was really disturbing was the noise from the road and some generator, or machine at night.

breakfast was excellent. location too. cleanliness. good bathroom extras and really good shower. i had some extra wishes as to the location of the bed and without making me feel silly, they just went with it. that was nice

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

There should be more options for breakfast,although it's delicious. ,in the weekend, it's difficult to sleep early as the bar in ground floor is noisy

Close to MG road Located in the middle of residences rd

• Reviewed: 9 February 2017

The staff is really helpful and welcoming. During the first breakfast the chief noticed that I like to eat oranges and provided me with very good quality oranges every day. The breakfast is just excellent and the hotel is right in the city center.

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

I can seriously think of nothing.

This is a fancy place, completely flawless by design, perfectly clean. I was actually a bit surprised when we checked in, because I didn't realize I had booked a hotel this nice. We thoroughly enjoyed a bit of luxury here at the end of our trip before heading home, taking advantage of the gorgeous pool and the spa. The massages were great prices. The breakfast was buffet style with dozens of choices from western-style staples to indian-style breakfast. I think the eggs were offered cooked-to-order.

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

This is my second visit and din't feel so comfy like I did when I came about six months back! Room orders were bit delayed n messed up.

Location is in the centre of the city. The staff of very friendly and helps you out with local info n tips.. breakfast is a very good spread.

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

Our experience in this hotel was top, from start to end. The staff is extremely helpful, kind and polite. We were welcomed with a nice drink and escorted to our room. We had unlimited complementary water. The breakfast was amazing, with a nice mix of western and Indian dishes. The chef himself came to greet us and the staff kindly explained us in detail about the different dishes. We received help getting a phone sim card and getting easy and cheap train tickets. I think overall this has been my best hotel experience so far (and I must say I get to travel a lot for leisure and work). The value for the money in this hotel was great. (Bonus: try the mango curry in the hotel's restaurant!)

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

• Standard Twin Room

rooms are now in need of a renovation.

Wonderful staff! They go out of their way to make one feel welcome. But that's the uniqueness of a Taj property!

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

The quality of service for example responding to room service call and, time of delivery could be improved. Rooms that are closer to the road side do not have noise control facilities which needs their immediate attention. Though the selection of food is good but they are slow in response and at time they need a reminder for their deliveries.

The room size and amenities, location are very good. Wider varieties of break fast.

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

1)The welcome at the front office were warm and nice. Duty manager Mr.Chandra and his staff were friendly helpful and professional at all the time. Nothing were difficult for them. 2) Swimmimg pool and Spa staff too quite helpful. 3) Breakfast buffet had an excellent variety. Served for any requirement. International .

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

The food quality was good and general service was above expectation .Duty Manager at the time of check in was excellent in terms of attitude and service . Thank you Mr. Chandrashekar.

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

The A La Carte menu felt a bit pricey imo.

The Staff was extremely professional and helpful all throughout the different services provided by them. The food (breakfast buffet) hosted by Tushar the Souz Chef was absolutely remarkable. The Chef was always alert to any changes that are to be done and helped in making us relish the food even more.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

The view to a boring backyard could have been better. But it's the only thing. All other things was good.

Excellent service and location. Good breakfast buffet with opportuinty to order fresh made omelets, pancakes etc. Good fresh juices.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

The chef and the restaurant manager give personalised attention, recommend healthy food and drink. iam really impressed with their attitude this industry requires.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

The carpets in the corridors looked run down.

Breakfast. Sous Chef Thusar Das and other staff personally attended and highlighted the special attention paid for the health conscious guests.

I liked the restaurant and the food there. More than that their Resturant staffs hospitality. I must mention some names, Mr Sandip , resturant manager, Mr Tushar , sous chef, Mr Naren, executive chef, these 3 personalities were very concerned during our stay . I would like to take this opportunity to convey our best regards and gratefulness to them. Really you people have given us an excellent service 🙏🙏🙏

The electricals in the room were not working properly always and the switches appeared to need some repair.

The hospitality of the staff was simply extraordinary. I was both moved and overwhelmed by their affection and felt like I was staying in a home instead of a hotel.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

Small issue with flashing WiFi box in room, not an issue during the day but irritating at night time and lack of hooks for hanging towels in the bathroom...but these are very minor problems that wouldn't deter us from staying here again.

Wonderful staff, clean hotel and room with all necessary mod cons, great breakfast with a very attentive chef, great location for getting to Indiranagar, MG road and UB city. No major complaints whatsoever.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

• Executive Suite with City Or Pool View

The bed not very comfortable. Bath room is very small needs improvement.

Location, front desk, friendly & courteous staff, easy check in & check out. Mr Chandrasekhar and Manoj were v nice & helpful.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

• Executive Double Room

We went for a medical test early morning and asked a packed lunch in our room. We never got that.But on departure , we were given a packed lunch as we left very early.

Good location.Friendly staff. Good food.Quiet room.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

• Executive Double Room

Renovation is sort of never ending.Make shift health club is so small and equipments are just a few.out of the few , I could find 1 or 2 not working.Because of renovation , pool doesnt have a change room.Hopefully it would be over soon.

I specially thank the front office in Picking me up from airport on a Bandh day.That showed their concern for the guest.Special mention about Mr Ankith here.At the restaurant breakfast with CHEF Tushar was a treat by itself.Entire staff is so courteous as always and so friendly .They make you feel at home.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Price a bit too high while municipal construction is on going

In the very center of town, however, Bangalore traffic is so unpredictable that business travelers should consider hotel location solely by business needs.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

Excellent customer services. We were recived with a warm welcome. Staff were very friendly and assisted us through out our stay. Breakfast is also really nice spread. Location of the hotel is perfect, right in the heart of the city. I would definitely recommend this hotel for business and leisure travellers. It's also have a good Dj floor on Friday and Saturday night.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Quite a bit pricier than comparable hotels used in other smaller cities in India. However this is Bangalore, so that probably explains a lot.

Excellent breakfast. Amazing service, especially during diner. When the sous-chef was so kind enough to introduce us to several Indian dishes. Comfortable rooms, up-to-date enough.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

No Arabic TV channels Bathroom has no water gun for washing Rooms and corridor has carpet (better without) to avoid smells and irritants

Business center Staff hospitality Geographic TV channels Bathroom arrangement

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

Absolutely amazing. Staff were excellent, very polite, very friendly, very helpful. Everything about our stay here was top notch, I couldn't ask for anything more. Food at the Karavali was also one of the best meals I've had in India. I would definitely stay here again and recommend to any/everyone

• Reviewed: 11 July 2016

• Executive Suite with City Or Pool View

The suite room stinked of sewerage. The toilet smelled of sweat after the housekeeping. In spite of reminding the staff to clean prior to 12 noon daliy, the suite was not cleaned until 3pm. The property needs immediate renovation.

.Pleasant staff.

• Reviewed: 8 July 2016

• Standard Twin Room

Wifi access was a let down, constantly disconnecting and slow. Though located in the heart of the city, yet the approach is always crowded with traffic.

The staff were very courteous and caring. Took extra care to make us feel comfortable. The breakfast spread was very good. The rooms were very quite and spacious.

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

Nothing. Keep up the good work.

All the staff are polite, efficient and go the extra mile to meets all the needs of the guests. Fabulous breakfast buffet,exceptional in-house restaurant Karavalli and a perfect location w.r.t MG Rd/ Brigade Rd and Garuda Mall.

Browse The Gateway Hotel Residency Road traveller photo gallery