Reviews of Taj Bengal 5 stars

34B, Belvedere Road, Alipore Kolkata 700027, 400003 Kolkata, India

#3 of 191 hotels in Kolkata

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

lack of storage space in the room; distance of changing room from the swimming pool; the mattress was depressed on two sides and fruits flowers chocolates could have been provided in the room.

Warmth of staff and Great Food!

• Luxury Twin Room

Ambience at swimming pool.not attractive and inviting Also hammering from building site directly beside pool was dreadful. No relaxation.

Rooms wonderful. Service fantastic . Liked the food in the speciality Indian restaurant.

• Deluxe Twin Room with City View

The bath area was poor... water would accumulate in the bathroom often like a pool of water and the drainage is quite poor.. request for a change in room was also not looked into.. information desimination was poor.

The hotel was situated very close to all the places of interest in Calcutta. Good security staff and very good breakfast.

• Luxury Double Room

Minor points- although most staff provided a very good service a few were not up to the usual very high Taj standard. Some parts of the hotel could have been cleaner / cleaned quicker.

Great location & a modern hotel. Nice layout & good variety of restaurants.

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

The room did not have a carpet , it also did not have a tub .

The staff is amazing especially at Breakfast special mention of Roshan who made it pleasant experience for us every morning

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

The poolside luxury rooms on the 2nd. floor are great and offer superb views. Indian menu at Sonargaon restaurant offers delicious meals. There is a complimentary evening tea and snacks service from 5 to 6 pm at the Promenade which is great.

• Deluxe Twin Room with City View

Breakfast menu could be improved to include some Japanese dishes and more dessert items.

The beds were very comfortable and sleep quality is excellent. Indian menu at the Sonargaon restaurant is delicious. Also, the evening tea and snacks, called 'Cutting Chai" and the samaosas at the Promenade lounge are a special attraction.

• Deluxe Twin Room with City View

Food options and staff at coffee shop and reception staff

I liked Taj Bengal but this time I found the service is sliding down the hill, specially reception and coffe shop. Breakfast/ Lunch food options (buffet) are very limited and staff also not helpful

• Deluxe Twin Room with City View

The fact that I had to explain twice to the in room dining lady that I would prefer my breakfast which was part of my package sent up rather than go down to have it, as I was unwell. Thanks.

Comfortable rooms and great food.

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

Room key cards kept getting disabled despite not being near any wallet, mobile phone etc. and had to be re-activated every couple of days

Staff were very friendly, very helpful and informative. Really went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. We were impressed by the Chief concierge who sat down and chatted with us at the end of our stay. A special mention is required for staff member Agnish at the hotel's main restaurant, Cal 27, who was very helpful to my elderly parents, helping them with their individual needs. He recommended the most suitable items from the menu for my parents.

• Deluxe Twin Room with City View

The buffet breakfast was awesome, loads of choice & lovely freshly cooked food, from curries to grills, from fruits to cereals, a range of breads / croissants, eggs, cold meats & delicious juices - nothing missing! The pool area was a calm oasis in the busy city. The staff were attentive & courteous without being all over you. The Junction bar was great fun, evening singer lovely. Support staff were helpful in arranging excursions.

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

Spa in the hotel was not as good as expected.Breakfast was also very basic for a star hotel

Restaurant food was excellent.Chai adda was an added surprise.

• Deluxe Twin Room with City View

Unfortunately the pool was closed so there was no where outside to sit and relax. Alcoholic drinks very expensive

Great welcome, very efficient, tidy room.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

• Deluxe Twin Room with City View

Clean and quiet. Very friendly staffs, providing best services and hospitalities. Very good restaurants in the hotel. One the best hotel I have stayed.

• Luxury Twin Room

The downside for me were the following - 1) the flute music that wafted into the room every morning and woke me up at 7.30 am when I could do with more sleep 2.) the breakfast service - the people attending call were dry and really dampened my morning spirit and the person who walked in with my breakfast on the 5th and 6th of June without a smile 3.) No shaving kit for a guest who is staying there nor any earbuds. This is expected and a standard in most hotels. These are minor irritants.

The Taj experience cannot be compared to any other hotel in Kolkata. To draw comparison, I had visited the Hyatt property during the same time since a relative was staying there and the front desk staff as well as the restaurant staff were nothing compared to Taj. They were unpolished and didn't know how to speak to the guests at the Hyatt. They came across as bunch of goofs. While the staff at Taj right from the Hotel doormen, to the bell boys, the front desk staff, the guards in the property, the housekeeping staff are superlative. They are trained to the 'T' and can put the rest of the hotels to shame. They are fully switched on to most of your needs and extremely friendly. I felt I am at home at Taj. I was very well looked after by the following people - The security guards at the entrance screening, Simran from Front Desk, Saikat from the Baggage, the guard in the Foyer who was guiding, Biswajit Bala at the spa (He is a national swimmer and an ex army man - Respect), Subash at the Spa, Angshuman at Souk who fed me like someone would do to a dear guest - a living example of Indian Hospitality, Bikram and Gurcharan (I hope I got his name right). What an amazing team. I would like to compliment the dedication of all the team members. The view from the room was fantastic. The connectivity to the city, airport, business district and shopping area was great. The food excellent and I the decor just to be amazed at. Tastefully designed, decorated and maintained. To the team: "Wonderful work. Keep it up!" To the guest: "You have to experience Taj Kolkata. You will not be disappointed." PLease do dine at Souk. It has some of the best Mediterranean dishes. Anghsuman and team will give you a treat you cannot forget.

Nothing for remark.

Excellent location as close to all important places worth visiting in Kolkatta. Service is extremely well. As the property was under up-gradation the air conditioning was less effective. However overall experience is excellent

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

• Luxury Twin Room

The humidity in Kolokata causes the hotel rooms to smell musty. All rooms are very clear .

The food was authentic and the breakfast very tast. I liked the lounge with the karaoke singer. We at at all 3 restaurants and loved it.

• Taj Club Double Room

Hotel is very central and clean. The staff are so polite and helpful. It's a wonderful hotel. There a a number of amazing restaurants to choose from and a lovely cosy little bar.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

• Deluxe Twin Room with City View

Pool bottom could have been cleaner and more than R2000 ($40 Australian)service tax was a hefty slug on top of other costs (we dont get charged this in Australia so it was unexpected.)

The pool,truly excellent food at various venues tried within hotel, comfy bed,great leafy district & city view, staff response to requests was swift, able to use facilities like pool and spa showers after checkout prior to late flight, nice &informative drivers(ask for Raja,)interesting art and especially loved the wood flute player in the foyer early morning.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

Screwed up policy and not able to refund my deposit money of Rd 8000. Won't recommend this hotel to no body. God bless this damm property and the people

• Deluxe Double Room with Pool View

Wonderful buffet breakfast. Attentive staff. Very good concierge services Lovely in hotel restaurants Quiet location Wonderful as a solo traveler

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

Nothing that I can tLk about. The reservation through Booking.com website had initially bothered me, but after I spoke directly with the Taj Bengal, I got it resolved. I did raise the problem I had experienced with your website re # of guests matter.

Excellent stuff throughout and very helpful. Best in class indeed!

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

• Taj Club Double Room

Freshness of room and toilet should be taken care of.

Akanaha sing of 5th floor reception desk was very helpful and softy spoken lady. We liked her gesture of kindness. She is simply excellent person. Moa of spa is also very lovely person and her treatment is some sort of unforgettable natured.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

The Free Wifi was poor and kept dropping to the point of being unworkable. The furniture is old and, in places, peeling plywood that looks like it was installed in the 70s.

The food & beverage services are good (but expensive.)

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

• Taj Club Double Room

It's wonderful; so comfortable with impeccable service. Having both England and India cricket teams for the ODI there made it even more memorable.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

Room service was so attentive, everything was kept spotless all the time. When breakfast buffet was full they let us use the premium breakfast room on the 5th floor at no charge which was lovely. Christmas stockings on the door and mini Christmas puddings in the room on Christmas day were the icing on the cake. Plus the Christmas lunch buffet was amazing.

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

• Taj Club Double Room

Found no faults Clean bath fresh towels No iron facility in room Fridge drinks not topped up dailyAwew

Fresh and awesome Kadak chai great idea Staff with Namaskar all the time Welcome tikka very traditional

• Luxury Double Room

ROOM SERVICE VERY DEALAYED. AT THE TIME OF CHECK OUT AFTER WAITING TILL 30 MINUTES NO ONE CAME TO COLLECT LUGGAGE,

PARTY AT POOL WAS VERY NICE.BUT ICE CREAM SERVED AT BUFFET WAS HALF MELTED.HOTEL DID NOT HAD THE FREEZER TO STORE THE ICE CREAM AT POOL SIDE.

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

• Deluxe Double Room with Pool View

The pool area could be better. When we stayed the hotel was carrying out some noisy building work next to the pool making it impossible to use even if we wanted to. It's not very private i.e. Overlooked by the main restaurant and lots of bedrooms so you'd feel like the hotel entertainment should you use the pool!

The service here is excellent, we loved our rooms and the delicious breakfasts. There's a very good selection of restaurants catering for different tastes. The gym is pretty good too.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

The breakfast room is not very big and there were a lot of people waiting.

Amazing staff- ready to help out with anything and assisted me with a driver for the day to take my friend and I to tourist sites.

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

Up keep of rooms The hotel rooms are looking dated .

As usual typical top class Taj staff service. We wanted to step out for some local street food and we had our Lobby manager step out till the street to guide us....only at the Taj!!! Super Breakfast spread Extremely comfortable rooms and beds

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

• Deluxe Twin Room with City View

Everything was good so no complaints at all.

Excellent service from the staffs at TAJ. Food at restaurants was very tasty. Festival celebrated at hotel was interesting. Great lobby and deco throughout hotel was grand and posh looking.

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

The chicken biryani was not upto the standards of a 5 star rated property. The breakfast could have been better in line with indian tastes.

The welcome was awesome and so was the check in experience. The staffs were great and well groomed.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

Rooms are aging and on the compact side. Can tend to get very crowded, especially when it is hosting events (which seems to be most of the time !)

Great location and facilities, friendly staff

• Reviewed: 3 September 2016

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

Shower was inside the bath The late check out facility was poor and communication by staff was dishonest. Hotel way overpriced. I will never stay again.

Bed was Good View was good

• Reviewed: 2 September 2016

• Deluxe Twin Room with City View

We had a wonderful stay and made the experience more memorable by the people we met.. We would like the wish them well and to thank them for there kindness.. Convey our thanks to your the hub restaurant staff including Malabika, Disha( chocolate croissant where lovely) Jaysanta and Shiany.

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

• Deluxe Double Room with Pool View

The bathrooms need to be updated, on my final day there was chaos at breakfast, the staff were stretched at handling the guests and we're not prepared and had no leadership

Good sized room, friendly staff in general, nice spaces

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

I never expect that can happen... Myself with my UK colleague checked in 23rd June. TAJ given us different level of rooms & attention on same charges for the rooms. why ? Not sure of your policy.......on this. I embarrassed when we want to get happy hour with my colleague, my colleague was on top floor restaurant but it is said to me I am not allowed. However they managed to get me in.. AGAIN while having drinks(Happy hours) with my colleague, your staff said to my colleague you have to pay for my drinks. My self & my colleague amazed when he said this. ... Again that was more embarrassment to me & my colleague... my colleague asked me IS THIS TAJ policy????????? I didnt have the answer for him.. This is nothing just a couple of pounds drinks for us...but its real bad feeling.... You can find we are frequent traveller & prefer Taj group where ever possible.. But next time will think 100times when come with expat..... Thanks, with best regards,

its okay..

Price

Everything except price.

Everything from the staff, the facilities, the food was outstanding. The concierge took care of every small request and was phenomenal.

Staff

Ambience

Indian dishes needs improvement

• Deluxe Twin Room with City View

No entertainment and far from city

Quiteness and comfort

• Deluxe Twin Room with City View

Sambhar at the time of breakfast

David Aaron

Relaxing and calm and quite with awesome ambience.

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

I like food and clean can do batter

It's good everything but food not good

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

With such a well thought out facility very surprised to see you need to go 2 floors down from swimming pool get to changing rooms

Perfect.

Luxurious property with warm service.

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

Super food, friendly staff, helpful for organising your business needs.

• Luxury Double Room

Nowadays gym should be upstairs, not in below ground level.

Everything else - lobby, bed, bathroom

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

The restaurant service and food quality was good but there is room for improvement.

Poor Wi Fi connection Poor ventilation in the room

The spread at the breakfast

• Luxury Double Room

Alles top, staff eten accomodaties

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

Took payment in £ and not Rupees .... so Exchange rate unfavourable .

Breakfast and food pretty good

• Taj Club Double Room

Sometime the service was a little too much, but this isn't really a complaint.

Lovely hotel with first class service.

• Deluxe Twin Room with City View

This hotel lives up to its reputation!

Everything scrumptious and excellent

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

Excellent service, always a smile, great food.

Food needs improvement

Food was not spicy

It is a neat and good place to stay. Staff are courteous and pleasant

Excellent hotel

• Deluxe Twin Room with City View

Everything was excellent..........lot of small but effective personal touches too

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

Thank you for allowing me an early check in as I came for a very sensitive issue.

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

Indeed the bed was like a cloud! More than that, it was a beautiful haven and I loved every moment there

• Luxury Double Room

Generally nice quiet clean hotel. Helpful courteous staff. Pressing irons in room to do own ironing.

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

Outstanding hospitality by all the staff who go out of their way to be helpful

Everything Perfect

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

The room was spacious with a lovely big comfortable bed, lovely view from the windows.

Nol

Comfortable awesome cleaner

cleanliness

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

South Indian breakfast was amazing, better that what would we typically get in south of India!

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

It is difficult to say now.

We ( ma and my wife) are rice eaters