Reviews of ION Adventure Hotel 4 stars

#1 of 1 hotels in Nesjavellir

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Pretty but pretty expensive
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I do think the property is overpriced for what is offered, albeit beautiful. Dinner was extremely over priced as compared to the other places I stayed and I got very similar quality. Beautiful place but I don't think I'd pay that kind of money again for what I received.

Very nice, posh hotel. Great common area/bar to sit and relax in. Great location to see the Northern lights. Hot pool was wonderfully relaxing with a great view.

Fantastic experience
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

No complaints! The price is pretty steep but then again it's Iceland..

This is one of the most interesting and unique hotels I've ever stayed at. It's literally in the middle of nowhere and the property is very cool, industrial but stylish. The room was very comfortable, the restaurant is immaculate and the outdoor pool and relaxation area is amazing. The bar is also amazing and great for photos. I wish we had booked two nights instead of just one, as it would have been interesting to explore the local area more - the hotel has suggested trekking/walking routes for those who want to do that.

It’s a scam shaming the Country, with the complicity of media’s promoting the uniqueness
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The whole thing, despite the hefty price no assistance with luggage, very small rooms, cold staff, poor breakfast choice, no adventure at all as you must book by an external operator, the prepa led lunch we asked for was forgotten and not replaced, although it would take 5 mon to make sandwiches... we paid 1600$ a night for that!!!! Forgot to tell, that ‘unique location’ is facing a power plant and a farm in ruins... it’s a shame

Won’t stay here for summer time-not worth the money.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Rooms are really small and there is not much space-Hot spring was really crowded. Since it’s really in the middle of no where, when the weather is poor, you feel stuck in the limited space. I guess it’s only suitable during winter for the northern lights. Summer is not a good time to come

The food was excellent! The northern bar is beautiful.

STUNNING Location and design hotel;
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

the stuff.... - fine at check-in But: in the bar the guy was just sitting behind the bar & ..... only playing with his phone and not paying attention to the guests, the dirty tables, the orders..... ... breakfast fill-up was not done, very disappointing for the price they charge for the breakfast, which already is quite "poor"

STUNNING Location and design hotel; simple & very nicely decorated rooms and amazing bar! Pool and sauna amazing, but small. Excellent restaurant : food in the evening very expensive but very good. Same as the hotel.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

The hotel is in the middle of nowhere!
    • Double or Twin Room

I know it is supposed to smell like that (sulfur) the hot water, but it is not nice at all.

The hotel is in the middle of nowhere!!! It is a beautiful property, the rooms are comfortable !!

Magical hotel in spectacular location.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The hotel is located in a spectacular part of Iceland very near to a network of beautiful hiking trails. The staff were so friendly and helpful and we were greeted on our arrival with champagne. We spent hours in the warm hot spring pool enjoying the view. Our room was comfortable and well equipped. This is a magical Hotel. The restaurant food is delicious though the price of wine is really too expensive so we just didn’t have any. But overall I can’t fsukt this hotel. Peaceful and magical.

Beautiful hotel, comfortable room, great staff. Breakfast buffet Average, Thermal Pool Not Working
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Breakfast buffet was average; items were empty and we had to ask a few times for the items to be replenished. The Thermal pool water was cold on the evening we arrived and closed the next morning for cleaning. We were told it would be open by 10:00 and when we departed at 14:00 it was still not open - a disappointment.

I have stayed here before in the winter and it was such a special place and experience. We love the design. We were so excited to replicate the experience in the summer and although we were disappointed with the restaurant and the pool, we still love the design and the rooms.

I did already. Read what I didn’t like about it.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Rooms are small, bathrooms are minimal, same size and style as all the other hotels we have stayed in Iceland, only at least twice more expensive. And we woke up late, breakfast was over and they had absolutely NOTHING to serve until lunch time (from 10 to 12am). We had to leave earlier and look for a place to eat as we had 2 kids with us. Staff didn’t help at all.

Dinner at the restaurant was delicious, food was really good

We enjoyed our stay, but we weren’t wowed - & we had expected to be.

The power station.

Expected the hotel to feel more remote than it did - this wasn’t helped by the proximity to the power station. However, the food was good & so was the bar.

The first room we got had a bad smell.
    • Double or Twin Room

The first room we got had a bad smell. We had to ask for another room. The problem is, that there is no ventilation, not even in the bathroom. You can open the window only a little bit. That is not enough to get rid of the dampness (not even in summer!). The shower was week and the temperature of the water changed from cold to warm all the time during the shower. The toilet paper holder was installed completely wrong so it got wet after every shower. The TV was broken (obviously because of the dampness in the room). The room was small, the breakfast is not included. The pool is very small and not very attractive. The area around is boring, it is close to a electricity station, which is not beautiful to me. Probably in winter the view on the polar sky is nice. But in summer, the surrounding seems quite boring. For that price I can not recommend this hotel.

Friendly staff, gorgeous setting, night that
    • Double or Twin Room

Booking a hotel for one night for over 450 euros planning to escape into nature and away from a world of noise and technology only to have the evening relaxing in the quiet bar spoiled by one US couple who felt the need to share with us their family conversation on skype / face time to kids the other side of the world and to hear about brocoli for dinner and other details i don't need to know, then on the other side from us two young girls who were not happy the hotel sound system was not working and decided to play their music through tin pot sounding smart phone speakers. When we raised this to the bar staff and reception desk were told this is Icelandic culture!

The bar and view was stunning

Mostly beautiful facilities, not great value for the spartan rooms and tepid geothermal pool.
    • Double or Twin Room

When we arrived, staff didn't tell us anything about the facility, or any trails/activities available to us. They were otherwise quite pleasant, just very passive. The gym was pretty sparse: four machines, a handful of dumbbells, and a small bar with plates but no bench or rack. No windows in the gym either. We went down for a nice soak after a day of kayaking, looking forward to a hot-tub-like experience, but the geothermal pool was merely tepid/lukewarm. Super disappointing. All marketing materials make the place look like it's in the middle of nowhere, like, say, the Fogo Island Inn in Newfoundland, but there's actually a geothermal plant less than 1/2 km away. The rooms were spartan, without much in the way of toiletries . The drain in our shower was completely clogged (how did the prior visitors not mention this?) No (or ineffective) venting in the bathroom, so entire room steamed up with a hot shower, and you could only open one small room window a little bit to assist.

The lobby is lovely, and the trip out to the location was breathtaking. The view from the bar is fantastic and the drinks were okay, if a little sweet, which I'm starting to think is due to the Icelander's palates, based on a tour of many of the better cocktail bars in the country. The dinner we had there was quite tasty, albeit pricey by North American standards, which I understand is typical of Iceland, so can't really be surprised by this. Decent storage in the bedrooms.

Needs improvement on customer service.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

1) No luggage service as informed. 2) On 2nd day, due to jet lag my wife and I were awake at 6am. I went to the reception and I was merely asking what time breakfast was served and if not could I buy any food from the hotel. The staff replied me with her “eyes rolled” and replied me in a “frustrated” manner. I was still nice and thank her knowing that it’s probably just a one day stay. 3) Rooms were small for such high room price; I can still live with that if the service rendered were of premium level. I love the people Iceland and would hope that the hotel would better improve on their service standards so as to better cater to other tourist who simply wants a good impression of Iceland and the hotel. Overall I felt that the receptionists during the night and morning were quite on the hostile side but I must applaud and compliment on the lady staff who had me checked in. Upon checking out, she was on shift work and I left with a smile and comforting my wife who was quite taken aback by the bad service from the other staff. This is the first time I have Mark down a hotel. As you can see from all my positive feedbacks for my past stays. Thank you and all the best!

The last staff who checked me in was very welcoming and nice. She was also very accommodating. She made my day although the hotel service rendered was not quite up to standard.

See above

Grossly over priced for level of service , food only adequate, breakfast woeful and staff morose and an air of dissatisfaction Trading on location and unusual exterior design with little , if anything , to back it up.

It was a perfect place to spend the night while taking the Golden Circle self tour.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The food in the restaurant could be much better. Partially used shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, etc. made me feel like it was a bit of a dormitory rather than the quite expensive hotel it is. They should really use the individual mini bottles or have housekeeping refill for each incoming guest.

The setting is spectacular. Enjoying the view from the bar with a cocktail is a most memorable experience.

Such a shame... WHY did they build there?
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

It is directly downwind from a geothermal plant. That means an overwhelming some of sulfur. This fact was “omitted” from all marketing info. The door pervades the rooms, bar and restaurant. Our room’ view was... the power plant.

Wow, what a great stay.
    • Double or Twin Room

Wow, what a great stay. If you want to treat yourself to beautiful surroundings, high-end digs and the best bed of my whole stay- definitely take the time and take a load off at the Ion hotel. The restaurant is truly amazing, the spa was truly relaxing (though a bit windy the day I stayed) and you cannot believe the surroundings - white peaked mountains while you soak, and surrounded by the lava fields on all sides. WOW. Loved it!

This place was a dream and I would love to return
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Pool was too chilly, bar closed early (11:00 on a Saturday).

The view, the design (especially the Northern Lights bar), the gorgeous pool, and the little house slippers that we got to keep!

Wild beauty outside your window.
    • Small Single Room

Excellent location short distance (45 mins) from Reykjavik. Wild beauty surrounds you. Dramatic views from the Northern Lights Bar. Clean, well appointed rooms. Fabulous Glow Facial Spa Treatment. Weather was extremely changeable while we were there, but did not stop us having a wonderful time, thanks to the most helpful and friendly staff. Couldn't do enough to help us make the most of our short time there with excellent hints and tips for program modification. Would definitely return. The sooner the better.

Fabulous hotel!! It was like an architectural dream come true.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Fabulous architectural and interior design. The settings of the spa and Northern Lights Lounge were amazing. The location was so tucked away that it gave us the serenity we needed.

The view from our room was great.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

It was more expensive than we anticipated and were not aware that breakfast wasn’t included so that hurt a bit as it was £35pp approx...

The view from our room was great. We had a lovely stay

A hotel that deserves to win prices !

Update of details of the contruction in the room

Room well designed,bathroom beautiful, good shower, excellent beds, views great. Food very good, dinner and breakfast. The red wine was on the right temperature which is not common. A great stay !!!

Amazing

Breakfast not included

Comfortable beds, cuddly warm duvets Ceiling to floor windows with blackout curtains Expresso machine in room Elegant shower with shampoo and conditioner and body lotion Dinner was amazing

The northern lights bar is fantastic with its big windows.
    • Double or Twin Room

The location is weird, back in a valley when right by the lake would be so much nicer. Rooms, drinks and food are way overpriced, probably due to the hype of the hotel.

The northern lights bar is fantastic with its big windows. The pool and sauna are nice too, although the pool isn‘t deep at all!

the view from the bar

The bar, they told us to wait 20 minutes for a Gin and Tonic, and the bar wasn't full at all. The rooms tiny (we had 2 in both category) are not so clean, especially the bathroom. The service at the restaurant is terrible, very unprofessional and with bad attitude

the view from the bar check in and check out receptionists were pleasant and helpful

Wonderful hotel. Great experience!
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Food was crazy expensive. I really think they could have included breakfast

Fantastic location. Pool and bar were great. Food for dinner was superb waiter lacking both nights we ate there

The dinner and the wine was delicious!
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The prices were very high in the restaurant and hotel- captive audience- can charge high prices! That being said- the dinner and wine were amazing!! Our rate did not include breakfast and this was most expensive hotel we stayed in Iceland! They also charged my husband for a cup of coffee to go on the day of check out- which I thought was crazy!

The dinner and the wine was delicious!!! and the bar had amazing views....enjoyed a dip in the geothermal pool and sauna too! The drive along the lake to the property was gorgeous....

the staff, food, bar and spa were all fatastic
    • Double or Twin Room

was nothing we didn't like

The staff was very accommodating. we was arriving late and after the kitchen closed. they took our order on the phone and prepared everything for when we arrived. The food was fantastic and tasted so good. We spent the morning in the spa area and the outdoor spa was like a bath and very relaxing. They even helped start our car in the morning as the battery had died over night (my own fault as i left the lights on ;-( ) and got us on our way for the next day of travel. Overall great experience

Pool and bar / lounge area.
    • Double or Twin Room

Staff were not flexible or accommodating in terms of the food available at the restaurant, bar or for room service. Half the items on the restaurant menu were not available and staff refused to serve other options from the bar menu.

Pool and bar / lounge area.

Amazing hotel in a beautiful location. Love it.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

They didn’t tell us at check in that breakfast wasn’t included. £25 a head at check out was a surprise.

Awesome place, stuck in the middle of nowhere with views for miles.

I've been seeing pictures of this place online for years, now I can say 'I've been there'.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The art really clashes with the high caliber of design, like featuring Banksy in the Guggenheim... But the comfort and atmosphere are too big to fail. The smell of sulfur comes and goes, but you get used to it, and for the geothermal hot water its a fair price of admission.

A really unique experience. This was my first night in Iceland and they set the bar very high. The outdoor pool is a must (at night). Desk staff went above and beyond and provided a detailed itinerary (with maps) of a full days worth of activity of the area. VERY quiet inside and outside.

Excellent splurge to treat yo self.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

There was no information booklet in our room, and the breakfast at 2500isk (pp) seemed to be bacon, toast and make-your-own muesli. (Perhaps we were late or missed something there).

Good spacious room. Comfortable bed, good shower and bathroom. Excellent view, very bright with the snow. The spa hot pool was excellent (very, very hot), especially when surrounded by a snowy environment.

Would go back for the stunning location, but it is not perfect.
    • Double or Twin Room

This hotel has so much going for it, but we felt it tended to rest on the laurels of the stunning location and there was insufficient attention to several other important details as a result. The standard room and bathroom was fairly small and basic for the price and not as scrupulously clean as we would expect (eg the floor felt quite dusty underfoot). Housekeeping forgot to put out bath towels ready for our arrival and we had to ask at reception (although it is fair to note the staff were very helpful in response, which we appreciated). The water in the bathroom smells strongly of sulphur due to the geothermic heating, which we didn’t mind too much, but some people might find off-putting. The pillows provided were hopelessly unsupportive, meaning our sleep was disturbed on the first night. The staff apologised and helpfully changed them for much better ones on the second night, but this could not give us back the lost night of sleep. We also noticed quite a lot of noise coming from the corridors at night, for example when guests arrived late or returned from the bar. Guests can walk on a path around the perimeter of the hotel at the same level as the floor 1 bedrooms, which is nice for the walkers, but reduces privacy and meant we were surprised by people walking near our window while we were changing etc. There is no voile curtain for privacy, so we had to draw the thick curtains a lot during the day, meaning reduced our access to the stunning views. The geothermic spa pool didn’t seem that clean; some stones and sediment are to be expected with the particular water source, but there was lots of hair in the water that was off-putting and suggested it had not been cleaned recently enough. The restaurant food was delicious, but eye-wateringly expensive even by Icelandic standards. Some less expensive, lighter options for dinner would have been appreciated.

We adored the stunning setting in the National Park. Nothing could have prepared us for how beautiful it was, and it gave us a wonderful feeling of being miles from anywhere in a special place (even though Reykjavík is only a 45 minute drive away). It would be worth going back to the Ion just for the setting alone. The hotel ‘Nothern Lights’ bar is also amazing, with floor to ceiling windows so you can take advantage of the gorgeous views, while sipping the delicious and creative cocktails. There are some thoughtful design features too, such as custom made lava candle-holders, and striking art work. The staff were generally delightful, helpful and chatty, and seemed to appreciate their surroundings. We enjoyed a three course set menu for dinner on the first night, which was excellent, if pricey.

Overpriced, dirty and misleading.
    • Double or Twin Room

Broken glass in parking lot. Vicinity to geothermal power plant not disclosed in hotel description. Bathroom fixtures in spa hanging off wall. Shower floor in spa so dirty/scummy and slimy unsafe to use. Toilet paper all over floor in spa room. One of three hotels in a pretty secluded area and breakfast not included (Our final hotel in a 10 d trip and only one that we had to pay for breakfast in) Broken bed side lamp Floors very dirty Spa geothermal hot tub had so much debris floating in it including hair. (Compared to another geothermal spa we experienced which was prestine/clean) Food was the worst we have had in Iceland Surrounding property was littered with trash Our room was right near restaurant so we could hear plates crashing in kitchen etc. most of the night. Overall I would not be so displeased if it weren’t for the price we paid. Higher expectations for a hotel labeled “posh and luxury” with a high price tag. This was meant to be our one super nice hotel and it definitely was not. We stayed at 8 other properties of varying sizes, amenities and prices during this trip and based on comparisons to all of those this was the worst hotel on our trip. Even though management was friendly when approached they were unprofessional and not outwardly helpful.

Bed was ok as far as comfort and front desk staff was very friendly.

Would recommend it, but needs some work.
    • Double or Twin Room

Our room seemed dirty most of the time. We weren’t wild on the menu and we had one down day to enjoy massages and the masseuse never showed up that morning so we had to reschedule for nighttime and my husband missed out. I think my massage should have been free. Bedding was terrible, not sure why they make the bed the way they do- rooms were extra small.

Location and style of the hotel

Beautiful hotel but very expensive.
    • Double or Twin Room

WAY overpriced. I was expecting a deluxe experience based on the cost, and it was nice but not worth what we paid.

The hotel is lovely and very comfortable. Nice amenities include the spa pool and great coffee in the room.

Not as expected but nice!
    • Double or Twin Room

Rooms a little too small, the pool need some maintenance as the paint is chipping off and floating all over the water.

The restaurant has great food, the remoteness is much appreciated.

Some members of the staff were extremely available and...
    • Double or Twin Room

The swimming pool outside was not very clean, I can understand the mud due to the geothermal origin of the water; but I can't stand hair , is disgusting. I had a bad experience with dinner in the restaurant (I felt bad during the night) and when I informed the reception, the management didn't have the slightly "touch" to make a minumun discount over a € 200 dinner!

Some members of the staff were extremely available and gentle in guiding us with the tours. Nice design of the hotel, the bar and the outdoor swimming pool are quite suggestive. Coffee and tea on the room are always welcome. Good position, close to the golden circle and south coast attractions.

Opulent stay in the mountains.

Breakfast price.

Amazing décor, especially in room, which had a wonderful mountain view. Under-hotel heated open-air pool and decking. Sparkling wine with check-in. The finishing touches we're really good (Leather-wallet for room key, feather light-shade, oval wire chair, chocolates, stone pillar in the shower, coffee-make and kettle, full-length horse canvas, to name but a few).

The facilities were beautiful, views were nice and the...
    • Double or Twin Room

It was the most expensive hotel we stayed in on our trip and yet was the only hotel where breakfast was not included. It is an isolated hotel and I feel that they take advantage knowing that there is nowhere else for you to get breakfast nearby. We stayed in hotels that were not as nice and they included breakfast.

The facilities were beautiful, views were nice and the interior design was gorgeous.

Relaxing
    • Double or Twin Room

Room wasn’t cleaned until 7pm on second day. Breakfast was standard and hot food was tepid and left out too long without being replaced.

hot water pool; location; dinner in restaurant.

Luxuriously trendy!
    • Double or Twin Room

Luxuriously trendy with all the extra touches you would expect from a hotel of this quality. Beautiful view from the room, very comfy bed, great shower and fast Wi-Fi. The hotel has a lovely hot pool, panoramic view in the bar and really amazing restaurant. There is also a wake up call for the northern lights!! Bonus!!

A lovely treat and a memorable stay, but not cheap
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

It wasn't clear when the pool was and wasn't open, we'd hoped to use it in the morning before departure and there seemed to be maintenance work going on - we heard no word of this. Nothing is cheap - but then this is Iceland.

Lovely sun-drenched views over the lava fields from the bar, comfortable beds and lovely amenities. Staff were wonderfully friendly and helpful in both reception and restaurant - and very happy to cater for mine and my partners' vegan diet.

Beautiful hotel situated in a secluded stunning location. The perfect retreat. Be warned - pricey!
    • Double or Twin Room

The food was fairly priced considering we were in Iceland which is insanely expensive. The Wien however was beyond pricey. The cheapest bottle on the menu was £180!!!

The location of the hotel is utterly incredible!! I picked it as a proposal location to ask my girlfriend to marry me. Despite being caught in the middle of a storm the hotel was still extra special and was a lovely retreat from he weather. The facilities are lovely and the food and drink is excellent quality.

It is an overprice hotel and not worth the money
    • Double or Twin Room

Rooms are loud. You can hear everything that happen outside Iceland is expensive, but even for iceland this hotel is overpriced. Menu for dinner is super limited and not very tasty. Only super fancy option in the menu. Service was super slow We were 4 and all 4 napkins in the table had holes on them. All! We told the hotel, the only say sorry Breakfast is 28dollars and very limited. We were in several hotel on our trip this was the worst breakfast. Only hotel in iceland that only receive krs. They do not accept other currency

The bulding arquitecture is nice.

great visit
    • Double or Twin Room

The walls were a bit thin, so you could hear noises from the corridor/reception area.

Amazing location with beautiful winter views, friendly and helpful staff, chic rooms and the hotel's stunning modernist design combine to make this a very memorable place to stay. The soaking pool, which uses hot water from the geothermal powerstation nearby, was amazing. Dinner was also excellent - local, seasonal food prepared to a high standard.

Very enjoyable place to be.
    • Double or Twin Room

Perhaps better directions for getting there but the drive to the hotel was spectacular especially in the weather we had.

Exceptional evening meal and the range at breakfast was good. Beautiful bar setting and views from the hotel.

Good for two nights only
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Short staffed overworking to help guests; it seems they are short on people, either at the restaurant or to clean the rooms. I felt sorry for few of them running around like crazy trying to embrace loads of work and to help guests who arrive and leave non-stop like in a bus or train stations. The restaurant is very expensive and the chef is not always around due to the snow storms that make people get stuck on the roads, even the employees of the hotel. Front desk is very helpful with orienting guests, but one can guess there is something wrong with employees in general; they are all very stressed. The SPA has one person only, and it is kind of a ghost area. “The pool” is a small retangular jacuzzi rather than a pool. The size looks very different than what it is in the photo. As per the lounge-glass area, we are supposed to be in a dark place to see the northen lights but they keep the light in the lounge so high that there is no point of staying there for observing outside.

Unique location with interesting architectural project, but this cannot compensate for everything else...

An amazing place to stay for those with an adventurous side!
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

No room service and the restaurant closed pretty early.

One of the most amazing view's I've ever had from a hotel room. Definitely a very unique place to stay.

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in...
    • Double or Twin Room

The hotel was outstanding in every way. Really nowhere else like it and it’s a real experience. The restaurant is amazing. The pool and spa are fantastic. Great location and unbelievable setting. Staying here is a must.

Where over priced meets nothing.
    • Double or Twin Room

Everything was over priced, we were stranded there the entire time during a storm. There was nothing to do. The staff service during the storm was lacking. We were charged the same price for a third night when we only planned on being there for two nights, due to the storm. On the third day we left at 2am to escape before the next storm can in. We understand that they cannot control the storm, but we had never been there before and apparently the storm was leaving staff stranded there the day before we arrived so why weren't we warned? The hotel seemed unprepared to deal with the situation. If you think you can just go relax in the geothermal pool they have...well it is lukewarm in storm conditions so don't bother. Our standard room was tiny, wasn't expecting a huge room, but for the price I would have expected more amenities and space.

The server we had during dinner was the highlight of our trip.

Amazing location - a real escape from reality.
    • Double or Twin Room

The exterior looked a bit worn when we first arrived. I thought the rooms would be a bit more unique. The view was great but it wasn’t huge. The food was good but not the best we had on our trip (although it was the highest cost) and the breakfast could be better - even with freshly made eggs). I would definitely recommend it, but it didn’t blow us away as we expected...

Amazing location - a real escape from reality. Enjoyed the artwork on display around the hotel and the pool (and view) was out of this world... the room was very comfy and bathroom was wonderful too - fantastic shower!

Amazing location, sadly didn’t quite live up to the publicity photos.
    • Double or Twin Room

Sadly the northern lights bar with the amazing floor to ceiling is not where the restaurant is, so sadly not where you spend most of your time. The food in the restaurant was a tad over done. We had a large clump of hair in our shower drain on arrival.

The location is stunning, the drive there and back was a highlight of our trip. All of the staff are very friendly and helpful. The large the windows in bedroom was stunning.

Very disappointing!
    • Double or Twin Room

Isolated location at the end of snowy, icy, dangerous roads. No notification of pool being closed for maintenance and this was one of the reasons I chose this hotel. Very poor lighting in room. Noisy fan in bathroom. Every time room above us flushed toilet it sounded like it was running down wall in our room. No assistance with baggage from or to car parked on very icy, slippery parking lot. I could go in but I am sure that anyone reading this sees how disappointed I am in this overrated and overpriced hotel.

The champagne on arrival. Absolutely needed after treacherous drive to hotel.

fine but not worth the price
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

A bit style over substance. Rooms are basic, bathrooms are tiny and need some attention. The restaurant is a styleless room and cold in every respect. Restaurant staff, whilst perfectly pleasant need training.

Amazing location

Affordable luxury
    • Double or Twin Room

The only thing which we found unusual was there were no plug sockets in our room! We had to charge phones, etc in the bathroom! Very minor inconvenience though.

We stayed at the Ion Adventure for 1 night, as part of my partners 30th birthday celebrations. Everything about this hotel was amazing, from the scenic drive through the mountains to get there, to the rooms, the restaurant, the Northern Lights bar, and the pool/sauna. We were upgraded to a Deluxe room on arrival, and given a complimentary glass of fizz. For a bit of luxury for 1 or 2 nights, I don't think you could go wrong with this place. We were so well looked after by the friendly staff.

Great experience in the wild
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The place is a bit hard to get. We drove to somewhere and the road was blocked. Then we try another road and took twice the time to be there. It was very dangerous to drive on the icy mountain road. But it was worth the trip and not busy for the same reason.

It's very clean and comfy staying in the hotel. The lava spa is amzing. The toiletries are very good product that originated in Iceland, really love the smell but too expensive. They offer northern light alert all night.

The lunch and dinner options were excellent.
    • Double or Twin Room

The only option breakfast was a buffet and the choice was very limited.

The lunch and dinner options were excellent. The food was of extremely high quality and tasty. The staff were very helpful when I left my passport behind, they rushed it to the airport. Receptionist calls the rooms when she sees the Northern Lights. This wake up call is available all night.

The stay was good in general but there is absoloutly nothing to do in the hotel.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The size of the rooms and bathroom. The breakfast selection.

The place is quite and in the middle of no where. Best for relaxation. The staff gave us help and guidance and that was great.

Beautiful hotel, our room was very nice and comfortable.
    • Double or Twin Room

Limited options for breakfast which was also charged separately.

Beautiful hotel, our room was very nice and comfortable. Stylish outdoor pool and sauna also a plus to our stay.

We Flew all night from the USA requested early check in...
    • Double or Twin Room

We Flew all night from the USA requested early check in twice, arrived at 2:00 pm and had to wait an hour for a room. Satellite tv did not work, although I wasn't there for the TV. They would not extend my Gold Starwood status because we booked through booking.com The property posts best view of northern lights but there are lights from the power plant and road everywhere. The property is very nice although the advertisements paints another picture. It is still a strong 7 1\2 on a scale of 1-10

the restaurant food is really good
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

the room faclilities and service is bad,we booked lux room, but they just tell us before one day check in, they don't have lux room, only standard room,and didn't give us any special. the room type is really old and normal.

the restaurant food is really good

The bed, and the Icelandic waiters , they were exceptional.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

That my girlfriend got sick (vomiting,diahrrea) after the three course meal , and they offered us a three course meal in compensation.

The bed, and the Icelandic waiters , they were exceptional.

It was nice, but too expensive for what you receive. The accommodations were no greater than others
    • Double or Twin Room

Just overall thought the price was too high compared to other places in Iceland. It's promoted as a Northern Lights destination, but there were no Northern Lights and most of the view in the being was of the steam coming from the geothermal phany just across from the hotel. The pool didn't feel like it was heated. The dinner was good, but very high priced. Didn't feel it was worth it on top of the high priced room. Also felt that for the same reason (the high priced room) that the breakfast should have been included. It wasn't. It was a separate cost.

Location was beautiful, though the main road was closed off (idn't know this until I tried to get to the hotel). Service good, but not great. The champagne when you arrive is a nice touch.

The hotel was amazing and I would not hesitate to come back.
    • Double or Twin Room

The bed was not very comfortable. They had put to twin beds together - which is fine. But instead of using a queen duvet blanket on top, 2 twin blankets were drapped horizontally over the bed, meaning it was very drafty and they would not stay on during the night.

The amazing location.

Disappointed, expected more for the price tag..
    • Double or Twin Room

Difficult and expensive access to hotel unless you have rented your own car, limited activities within hotel compound.

Beautiful view, good bath products.

Beautiful hotel in the wilderness of Iceland
    • Double or Twin Room

Rooms are very small compared to others we stayed at in Iceland. Pool was closed in the morning possibly because it hadn't been heated fully in the morning.

The hotel is beautifully designed, Breakfast was great and the bar is definitely worth a visit.

The ION Hotel is set in a beautiful area in a basin in...
    • Double or Twin Room

Whilst it’s not really a negative you are a near nothing at all and the Iceland is very expensive. Rent a car!!

The ION Hotel is set in a beautiful area in a basin in Iceland’s National Park. Expect peacefulness and breathtaking scenery.

Nice stay - just don't look at the prices.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The stay was very nice - but it is just so ridiculously expensive (room, dinner, drinks) for a comparatively 'basic' hotel (yes, it is Iceland and EVERYTHING is expensive) compared to the rest of EU, that unfortunately I will more remember the sky high bill before I remember the one night stay.

Ion is a nice design hotel. Restaurant was good and the Northern Lights bar was cosy. Bed was comfortable and nice amenities in the room, including fluffy towels. Service was friendly, helpful. Breakfast was average.

It's expensive, but if you have the means you should...
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

It's expensive, but if you have the means you should definitely stay at the ION for an evening. This hotel was fabulous. So much so that the hallways were scented! A must if you're feeling adventurous and can afford it!

We ate breakfast and dinner at the hotel on one occasion,...
    • Double or Twin Room

General cleanliness of the pool and changing areas was poor, although these didn't appear to get heavy use. There were some empty glasses and litter around the pool area when we arrived and they were still there on our last night. Our room was cleaned daily, but used items were not replaced, such as tea & coffee etc. small things, but it's an expensive hotel so these things should be absolutely covered. Food and drink are expensive, but that was to be expected.

We ate breakfast and dinner at the hotel on one occasion, the food was excellent and the staff were very helpful and friendly throughout our stay. The pool, sauna and relaxation room are great facilities (see my note regarding cleanliness). The hotel location is superb, the 360 road to the hotel was kept clear, but the 435 was closed, check with the hotel before heading there. A 4 x 4 with studded wheels is recommended if you plan to visit in winter. We went in November and we encountered a very bad blizzard heading back there one night from Reykjavik, it would have been a struggle without studs.

Good for a unique experience stay.
    • Double or Twin Room

The road and the icy condition of the parking lot.

Cool looking hotel. Good to see Northern Light but they could make it even better by setting up special equipment to capture it live for the guests.

Great hospitality but overpriced
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I feel the hotel is overpriced. I probably wouldn't use the word "luxury" to describe the property. It is inevitably uniquely located and tastefully decorated, but the premium over other hotels of similar standard was not justified. Room was not particularly big, shower room can be improved (easily flooded).

The ion Adventure Hotel is located deep in a valley, giving it a very unique vibe and character. The staff were super nice and helpful. Upon arrival we were offered a sparkling wine, we were given a choice of a mountain view or lake view room, both were very nice. The hot tub was a bliss in the icy cold weather. Food at the restaurant was also superb (albeit expensive, as with all Icelandic food), highly recommend their langoustine tail! The bar was beautiful, perfect to grab a drink during happy hour to take some nice photos.

Five star prices - premier Inn style service & accomodation
    • Double or Twin Room

Rooms are very tired and poorly appointed. Bar closed early.

Amazing bar- even better if it stayed open. Restaurant & restaurant staff were fabulous. The food was delicious.

Browse ION Adventure Hotel traveller photo gallery