Reviews of Hotel Phoenix 3 stars

Laugavegur 140, 105 Reykjavík, Iceland

#12 of 70 hotels in Reykjavík

9.7

4.9

A lovely small hotel with its specific atmosphere

Water smells from sulphur (not the hotel’s fault I assume).

The hotel has a consistent atmosphere of a traditional old place (do not go for it if you dislike retro style but we were happy). The gentlemen running the hotel have taken due care of us, for example during breakfast. A chocolate on the pillow in the evening was another great example. The location may not be in the very centre but its address on Laugavegur (main shopping street leading to the centre) makes very easy to find a way to the centre and back to the hotel.

Very Good Hotell

You have to buy internet acces. Otherwise was perfekt for our trip.

Lovely and coqette place to stay in the center of Reykjavik. Wonderful personal. A good reason to come again. I will recomand this hotel for others.

Must be the best small hotel in Reykjavik.

Nothing. Although 2 easy chairs in a double room would be good. I'm struggling to find fault with this hotel.

A splendid small hotel with a short walk to the centre. Free parking is possible just outside the hotel if you are lucky. The assistance from the two gentlemen running the hotel is faultless. The continental breakfast is just perfect. I have stayed at a lot of 5 star hotels around the world that don't match the service, cleanliness and attention to detail as this hotel. If you book a room here you will not be disappointed!

very nice small hotel with easy access to city buses and shopping.

had to move rooms once during 3-night stay. not happy about that but they did not charge me for wifi... good compromise.

very nice breakfast was included. Very clean room.

Avoid this place if you want to drop bags or check in before 4 pm!

We are a senior (73,71) couple who were very disappointed by the unhelpful and traveler unfriendly policies of this hotel. When we reserved this hotel 6 months before our stay, they required nonrefundable payment in full. The information given us at that time stressed that check in could be done only beteeen 1600-2300. We were ok with that. Though our red eye flight from Seattle arrived at 0630, we figured we could at least leave our bags until check in. How wrong we were. On arrival at Keflavik, we took the flyBus to the Reykjavik downtown terminal (bsi). Since it was raining, we hired a cab to take us to the hotel ($20). At the hotel, we found the door was locked, so we rang the bell, standing in the rain. There was no answer, so we called the hotel number on the cell phone. The manager answered and told us there was no one to let us into the hotel, and check in was after 4 pm only. I told him I understood the check in time, but we had hoped just to leave our bags until then. He told me they had sent an email 24 hours prior to our arrival explaining both the check in time and that they had no room to store bags (we did not see this email until after the fact since we were already in transit by the time it was sent and did not have email access until we arrived in Iceland). His only suggestion was to go back to the bsi where there were bag lockers. So, we wheeled our bags a couple of blocks in the rain, and found a bus to take us to bsi, where lockers cost another $20. It was still raining, so we got another taxi to city center, where we had to kill 7 hours trying to stay out of the rain in museums, churches and coffee shops, until we could take a bus back to bsi to retrieve our bags, and another taxi ($20) back to the hotel.

This small hotel was comfortable, clean and quiet. Location was close to the central area and the city bus hub.

The perfect, charming Reykjavík hotel!

The hotel offered a continental breakfast which was perfect. The two gentleman running the hotel were pleasant and informative. The hotel was meticulously clean, warm and inviting; chocolates and bed turned down every evening. The hotel location is close to bus stop 10 which we used daily to catch our tours and bus transfers as well as the main shopping areas with restaurants and pubs. I hope to return to Iceland and will, without a doubt, stay at Hotel Phoenix again.

Everything we hoped for and a bit more!

Parking is a bit of a pain.

Brilliant!! Very comfortable room. Spotlessly clean and sparkling. Terrific service. Excellent breakfast. A two star hotel with turndown service and chocolates!!! Stunning.

Perfect for a short stay- ideal location and great breakfast

No free WiFi but not a big issue

Rooms were charmingly presented, cute and toasty warm from the cold outside. Location was amazing, short walk down the road onto the main shopping street and a tour bus stop five minutes from the hotel. Breakfast was really good too- tasty and filling!

Good small, friendly hotel. Well placed. Good value. Would recommend it.

Better and bigger towels. Rooms got a bit too hot at night.

Breakfast included. Someone at reception at all time ready to open the door. Clean. Chocolates were left on pillow every night. 2 mns walk from the main bus stop number 10 Hlemmur square.

Everything in their control was exceptional.

The hot water does has a strong sulfur smell like the rest of Reykjavik so just get over that day 1. No vending machine but hey 10-11 is just down the street so not too bad for late night cold drinks beside incredibly tasty tap water unlike the US.

Everything in their control was exceptional. This was a steal at the price for the authentic Icelandic breakfast offering, their Skyr is amazing! We had a wonderful time and the two gentlemen running it were top notch. Location is about 1-2 blocks from being in the heart of Downtown Reykjavik and you are literally on the shopping street, Laugavegur but just far enough away from the bars to enjoy a great sleep too! If you can book this Hotel for a trip to Iceland, do it, do it now!!! Thank you for a great stay in Reykjavik!

Not a friendly hotel - will not come back.

Phoenix lacks other facilities besides the room - eg no reception area or bar - door to hotel was always closed which is unusual for a HOTELs - normally you get a key so you can open the (if the door is closed) door when you arrive late. Charging 5 € / day for wifi - year 2018..... ,

Positive: breakfast good - cleaning of room OK

The gentlemen who run the hotel are just that -- gentlemen,...

The gentlemen who run the hotel are just that -- gentlemen, in the best sense. Their generosity, helpfulness, patience, and friendliness made my trip easier and more fun. As a solo traveller, I had only myself for a resource. But with their help, I navigated everything with ease. The decor may not be to everyone's taste -- more Baroque than classically Nordic -- but don't let that stop you from booking here. It's quiet, comfortable, has great beds and en suites, and the breakfast is superb, too. It'll keep you going long enough to avoid spending your shekels on an outrageously expensive Icelandic lunch. Can't recommend Phoenix highly enough.

GREAT value!

Free wifi, need staff to get in

Missing some little amenities (you have to pay for wifi, and you have to ring a bell to get into the building every time) but for the price the facilities were EXCELLENT and the staff was really amazing!

A great stay and highly recommended!

The breakfast was presented beautifully however it got a little much having the same thing every day.

A great stay, beds were turned down in the evening with a chocolate on the pillow. Nice little touches throughout.

Perfection!

Not one thing - everything was amazing!

LOVED the Hotel Phoenix! Everything about it was just stunning, the furnishings are beautiful, the bed, linens, towels, shower, etc are superb, and the breakfast is amazing. The two hosts are very helpful and the care and pride they take in their establishment is very obvious. I will definitely stay here again if we're lucky enough to return to Reykjavik and would recommence it to anyone.

Definitely would recommend this place.

Everything was excellent, very nice and helpful hosts, great location, tasty breakfast. As I booked a single room, I was expecting a small size room with a single bed, however, I was given a double size room with a double bed. Was nicely surprised and happy!

Quirky, clean, comfortable and very central!

Would have loved to have a option of some eggs in the morning. Other people complained of the smell from the drains but this is the sulphur smell found all across the island.

The breakfast is continental with skyr, granola, cheese, ham, bread rolls, juice and tea / coffee. It was very tasty and filled us up for the day ahead. The two owners are hilarious and very helpful helpful but different to each other. Don't dilly dally with your questions for one of the owners - get straight to the point!! I think you'll find this rule applies to most people in Iceland too. Couldn't fault our stay, the attention to detail was very high. It's not a super-modern hotel but that's not what the owners are aiming for with the decor etc.

Excellent - a gem of a hotel.

The Hotel Phoenix was a real find for us. The hotel is small and quaint and extremely clean and well kept. The breakfast was excellent and the room while small was just what we needed with a really comfortable bed. When in Iceland we were out most of the days on trips so only used the hotel as a base and therefore didn't need a large room. The staff went above and beyond to make sure our stay was a good one. They gave great advice on the trips to take and even booked them for us. I would highly recommend the Hotel Phoenix to anyone visiting Iceland and wanting to use Reykjavik as a base. It is located right in the centre and on the main street with lots of lovely shops and restaurants.

Iceland is spectacular!

Breakfast is only from 7.30 to 9.30 Out of 4 days, I had 2 excursions that I was picked up at 7.30 so I missed the breakfast by only few minutes. I asked few times if I could get it at 7.15 and it was a categoric NO. Breakfast is always the same. they bring you a plate consisting of 2 pieces of bread, 2 slices of ham, 2 slices of cheese, a bit of cereals with yogurt. They could have accommodated me. I chose that place because breakfast was included...

Great location, you can walk everywhere. Grocery stores close by (Bonus and Kronan). For all excursions, pick-up is from bus stop #10, which is a 2 minute walk.

Excellent hotel and would definately return when visiting Iceland again.

Hotel was very luxurious for a reaonable price, staff were really friendly and helpful and gave a fantastic insight to Icelandic culture. The hotel was really clea n and also comfortable.

Go and enjoy the Hotel Phoenix it enhance your stay

Lovely hotel run by 2 great owners who will help with anything and are great hosts. Great location with city centre 2 min walk away. Breakfast sets you up for the day. Rooms are spotless as is rest of hotel. They will advise and book all your trips for you as well.

This is not a big, soulless tower block type hotel, but...

This is not a big, soulless tower block type hotel, but ideal if you want a small, personal, cosy place to stay with staff who are really friendly and helpful. It is expensive, but Iceland generally is very pricey, and I guess it's OK to pay for something a little bit different. It was great.

Small with charm and a great staff! Location was perfect and I felt safe the whole time!

Free wi-fi would be nice but I had no problem paying for it. Wi-fi seemed pretty accessible on buses and at restaurants/bars so you may not need to pay if you dont need it.

Hospitality was fantastic! The staff were great in helping me figure out directions and with recommendations. The breakfast was good too....I wish my tours didn't start so early so I could've taken advantage!

Absolutely delightful!

Breakfast choices!

A wonderful place - gorgeous rooms, flawless location (10 minutes away from the city center and from the shore, yet set in a quiet and tranquil area). The staff are incredibly friendly! Breakfast is lovely, but it would be great if dietary preferences were asked beforehand - I'm vegan, so couldn't enjoy most of my meal. Overall highly recommended, I'd definitely stay there again!

Comfortable, but would stay somewhere different next time.

The bed was in the loft, just a bed and a TV. Was a double bed with a single doona. Downstairs there was just one seat so nowhere to relax. The breakfast was good, but the same every day. The place was more of a B and B than a hotel.

Good location, helpful staff. Very clean.

I loved the personal care and attention given by the staff,...

I don't think there was anything I didn't like about my stay, and that is definitely a first!

I loved the personal care and attention given by the staff, and the fact they went out of their way to help out with an issue I had and only commented on, that was not directly related to them! Would definitely recommend anyone to stay here.

Great place in downtown Reykjavik!

Awesome location, right on the main street in town. Super helpful staff answered all of our questions and gave us the highlights of each area we were taking trips to. Rooms were comfortable and clean.

Very poor breakfast, shockingly over-priced; but clean, nice room and good location.

I don't normally write unpleasant reviews but felt that I ought to; to let others know. The breakfast was very poor, especially given the high price. I chose this hotel over others because of the 'breakfast included' notice, having heard how expensive food in Reykjavik is. However, the 'breakfast' was a very small set plate, brought out to you. It had: one sandwich, some fruity yoghurt (skyr), a small tray of nuts and three slices of tomato. Sat at a small cramped table sometimes with another guest sat in front of you. No typical hotel breakfast things; no cereal (Corn Flakes, Rice Krispies etc.), no toast, sausages, fried egg, croissant; nothing like that at all. No choice, just what gets served. A tiny cup for tea, that is brought out to the table; and a rude/belittling response when I asked for a second cup. Given the extreme expense of the hotel, this was deeply disappointing. Also, the hotel is run by just two staff, but one of these two was brusque and rude; which is shocking, especially considering that I was polite well-paying guest.

Room was clean. Good location.

I Would Definately Return

No elevator but they assisted with carrying bags.

They were very nice and helpful without being intrusive. I felt as if we were visiting family or friends. The bed was so comfortable. The bathroom was tastefully appointed. The room was very spacious. Breakfast was amazing! I could have drunk the whole pot of coffee and they served REAL juice!!! The location was perfect. It was near the airport shuttle, site seeing and city bus stops, as well as grocery stores, bars and restaurants.

• Reviewed: 26 November 2016

Mozart for breakfast!

I was very disappointed that there were no tea-making facilities in our room, or even downstairs. Perhaps this is usual in some countries? The breakfast was OK, although I had assumed it would be a cooked breakfast, rather than a "more than adequate continental." I think this was indicative of November being the end of the season.

As it was November, the hotel was very quiet, which we did like The two male staff alternatively on duty were very friendly and informative, made us very welcome, and provided us with information about Rejkavik, what to do, excursions etc. There was television from the UK, and no language problems in Iceland; so much English is spoken. Classical music was played when we ate breakfast!

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

Owner very knowledgeable and helpful.

There is some issue with FlyBus so if booking this hotel do not use FlyBus to get to and from the airport as FlyBus does not 'know' where they are.

Owner very knowledgeable and helpful. Hotel is close to downtown but not in dt so quiet.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

Lovely relaxing stay

We were on a weekend stay in Reykjavik after a week of roadtripping and camping and the owners were lovely. Really quirky and fun decor too which I thought was rather marvellous and right in the city centre.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

Had the best time we felt so comfortable and it was quiet at night we were able to sleep

The staff gave us the best service even putting mints on our pillows when we went out and ordering for pick up for the airport . My daughter and I, who celebrated her 19th birthday , had the best breakfasts. Not a place for 20 year olds back packing through the UK because this is a fancy place. Loved it!

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Fabulous!!!

Amazing everything!!! Very friendly and helpful staff, excellent service, beautiful room (#32), nice breakfast, very safe, personal, I felt very much at home.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

A small hotel owned by 2 friendly gentlemen who were always around to chat and help when needed.

The breakfast was good but always the same. Would have liked croissants or toast maybe for a change one morning.

The character of the hotel. The cleanliness. It was spotless. The 2 gentlemen were very helpful with advice for tours. It was only a few minutes to shops and restaurants.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

An attractive bead and breakfast

No elevator stairs were difficult for my wife. This was more a bread and breakfast and lacked many of the amenities of a hotel: coffee shop, lounge. The breakfast was the same everyday. The bathroom was very small.

An attractive bead and breakfast that was once a house, and nicely decorated. Staff was friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

Nice staff and good position

The shower didn't work properly because of mineral deposits on it which I didn't like

The staff is incredibly friendly. The hotel is near the main road and all the restaurants as well as one of the main bus stations. The style if the hotel is a bit old but with charme. Breakfast was ok.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

Amazing stay walk to main shopping district

It would have been nice to be able to boil the kettle in your room but other than that I can find nothing to complain about.

Everything The warm welcome and helpful chit chat The room was amazing the breakfast a mini silver service. Very attentive and cordial staff. Walk to the main district of Reykjavik. I would not hesitate and recommend to book this B & B again. Fresh towels everyday. Close to restaurants and fast food outlets. Walk to harbour. Walk to supermarket. Being helped with my luggage up the stairs.

Friendly staff, nice small hotel, fairly central location.

Friendly staff, nice small hotel, fairly central location. Breakfast was good. Good, friendly service and good free parking right outside on the street.

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

The whole hotel had a gentile and warm feeling about it. Perfect for a relaxing break.

Erm, nothing really as we take our own travel kettle

The whole hotel had a gentile and warm feeling about it, the staff were brilliant and the complimentary breakfasts were huge and excellent. Chocolates on the pillows each night... a lovely place.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

A great place to stay

Very attentive hosts, spacious room, great breakfast, quiet accommodation: felt like I was staying at a friend's house. Example: as an older solo traveller it was most reassuring to have a host keep check on my safety from 3.30-4am as I was waiting in the street for a bus pick-up. Much appreciated!

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

I had a very bad experience and was forced to change to another hotel at a short notice.

There is no tea cups in the room. Guests are not allowed to make tea or coffee at the room. Guests are not allowed to open the window wide to have fresh air come in the room. The receptionist (hotel owner ?) is rude and has no consideration for the guests' needs.

Hoten is situated close to centrum.

Beautiful little spot that is very good value for Reykjavik.

Quirky, exceptionally clean and comfortable with an excellent breakfast.

Great help from the owners.

Great help from the owners.

Lovely enjoyable stay

No Tea and coffee in rooms

Clean and very quite comfortable Hotel

Breakfast was excellent.

Breakfast was excellent. The yogurt was to die for.

Icelandic Charm

Nothing at all

It charm snd character snd everything else

The breakfast in the morning was amazing

The breakfast in the morning was amazing

Excellent position easy for everything

There was nothing to dislike very helpful in deed

The breakfast was lovely, the room extra cozy.

The breakfast was lovely, the room extra cozy.

Lovely stay would come back

Some facilities to have a drink in your room - mini bar or kettle with options for tea

Friendly staff very helpful Good location

Good

Key to room, difficult to open door

Cleanliness Breakfast

would definitely stay there again

no parking

great location, beautiful and comfy rooms

Great hotel

Excellent hotel, staff were very friendly. Great room and breakfast in a prime location.

Warm and comfortable.

Check in could have been earlier.

Easily the cleanest hotel we have stayed in. The owners were so friendly and helpful.

Excellent Staff.

Excellent Staff. You dont often get to stay @ Almost 100 years old building and experience authentic ICELAND comfort

Atmosphere, staff, and breakfast.

No common sitting area.

Atmosphere, staff, and breakfast.

Location and staff very helpful

Location and staff very helpful

Good location with excellent service

Friendly helpful staff. Hotel quiet and peaceful. Good central location.

warm and friendly staff who were informative and helpful.

Slightly tight for room to store belongings. Breakfast was nice but repetitive (same every morning).

Comfortable bed:Good and powerful shower.

Accomodating Accomodation!

Quiet, clean, great breakfast.

Great place!

I missed to have a mini fridge on the room.

Personal and good service. Nice rooms. Breakfast was great with freshly baked bread and fresh berries.

Mukava ja laadukas pikkuhotelli

The hotel was cozy and clean. The staff were friendly and helpful. The customer was taken into account with small details. Breakfast was tasty.

It felt very comfortable.

Over all cleanliness.

Staying this hotel adds good memories in Iceland

The manager is very nice

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

Cozy and small

Lovely small hotel, very friendly and helpful personel, close to center on a quiet location.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

Good service, breakfest good

Good service, breakfest good

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

Clean, comfortable, helpful staff

Ideally located for the business location and for access to the centre of the city.

Perfect

No dislikes

Staff great breakfast comfort and spaciousness of room location. Highly reccomend

• Reviewed: 28 May 2016

No eggs, but very good large breakfast.

Shower head had uncomfortable spray, we did notify staff about this All other facilities were great, except we were on 2nd floor, no elevator.

No eggs, but very good large breakfast.Wonderful yogert with fresh fruit, ass. rolls, meat and cheese.

• Reviewed: 2 April 2016

Lovely hotel in an excellent position for exploring the city.

everything was excellent

Lovely hotel in an excellent position for exploring the city. The 2 gentlemen who run the hotel were polite and helpful at all times, also very good for recommending places to visit and for booking trips. I also contacted them prior to arriving and they replied very promptly and were helpful with my enquiry. We arrived around midday so were too early to check in but it was easy to leave our bags at the hotel, go and do some exploring and return after 4pm at which point our room was ready and bags upstairs waiting for us. The bedroom was very comfortable - probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. The breakfast was an excellent start to the day, nicely presented and very tasty. Would highly recommend this hotel and would definitely return if we ever visit Iceland again

• Reviewed: 15 March 2016

Friendly, helpful, efficient and thoughtful staff

Friendly, helpful, efficient and thoughtful staff Large, clean, quiet and well furnished rooms Excellent location Excellent breakfast Some of the tours we had booked got canceled due to rough weather. The staff went out of their way to make the necessary calls and suggest replacement activities. A real added value!

• Reviewed: 15 March 2016

Exceptional, helpful, knowledgeable and extremely friendly...

To be honest, there was nothing that I didn't like about this hotel.

Exceptional, helpful, knowledgeable and extremely friendly service. Hotel Phoenix is ideally located within the city compared with some of the bigger hotels. It is immaculate in every aspect and the owners couldn't be more helpful - True gentlemen. The breakfasts were filling too. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2016

Very helpfull owners, reserved but friendly.

Confused reading reviews - how can this hotel have both free and paid wi-fi - our room had no bath or fridge - maybe other rooms do. Would have loved a kettle in the room to make a morning cuppa. Breakfast fine unless you have like my partner an intolerance of dairy and gluten which basicaly leaves two silces of Ham for breakfast.

Very helpfull owners, reserved but friendly. Hotel is on the main shopping street of Reyjavik, about 10 min walk to a good selection of restaraunts

• Reviewed: 2 November 2015

Stunning little property with very gracious hosts.

Stunning little property with very gracious hosts. Beautifully furnished, lovely space, an exceptional bathroom. Perfect Icelandic experience...all at a very reasonable price!

There are also 28 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Hotel Phoenix traveller photo gallery