Reviews of Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavík 4 stars

Pósthússtræti 2, 101 Reykjavík, Iceland

#57 of 70 hotels in Reykjavík

6.1

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I wouldn't advise the breakfast, because the hot food wasn't that spectacular. Hardboiled eggs with a very soft yolk isn't my idea of hardboiled. However, there's a wide selection of hot and cold foods to choose from and that will satisfy even the pickiest of eaters. Can be a bit loud if you like quiet, as it is centrally located near many bars. Tiny beds.

Location was fantastic. Absolutely ideal. The front desk was extremely accommodating. We arrived at 7:30 and although normal check in was 14:00, they had the room ready for us inside 90 minutes. They were extremely helpful. The room was okay. Beds were a twin bed at best. Tiny, but this is typical throughout Europe. Again, being centrally located, it can get loud because bars and clubs don't close until 6am on the weekend. If you don't mind a little noise, then by all means, this is a great place.

It was a pretty small room for the cost, but Iceland is just really expensive in general, so I think that's just how it is if you want to be right downtown. I kind of expected it to have a little more historic charm throughout the halls etc, but that was limited to the lobby/bar, which were quite nice, really.

Great location, great comfortable bed, nice staff (helped us figure out the bus back to the airport), awesome shower, nice toiletries, electric tea kettle with hot chocolate and instant coffee. Nice lobby, bus stop right outside is one of the first stops on the airport pick-up so you don't have to stand out in the cold for long! Our room was on an inner service courtyard which could have been bleak if we hadn't been up at the top and had a nice sky-view, and it was very quiet there.

I wish we had known of happy hour in the bar (4 - 7pm) - it's a beautiful space and would have been a great start to our evening tour of Reykjavik.

Location was fantastic, and the staff was helpful allowing me to check in early after my flight had me in the city at 7am. The room was spacious, and modern, the bed was very comfortable and, as a tea drinker, it was great to have a kettle in addition to a coffee machine.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

A great deal of noise from outside. It's near the bars and a lot of nightlife. The windows are far from soundproof. Saturday night is all night partying nearby and you can hear all the loud cars, motorcycles, and shouting that continues until dawn. Don't expect to get much sleep. They should have better soundproofing or noise reduction.

Convenient walking to almost everywhere in the central city, friendly and helpful staff, large room, very comfortable.

The view from the rooms wasn't brilliant, but this was down to the location, which you can't really change!

The hotel was really well located for everything you need to see and do in Reykjavik. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were very large and comfortable. We had breakfast, which was good, plenty of tea and coffee if you wanted it.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We really enjoyed our stay here. You can't beat the location, it was walking distance to everything we wanted to do in town, with a bus stop out front for everything we did outside of town. All of the food in the restaurant was excellent, and the atmosphere in the bar was just right to wind down and warm up on a winter evening.

Interrupted sleep (one night only) due to late night revellers passing our second floor room which fronted onto a busy(ish) street below!! (We accept that it was the beginning of Christmas party season!)

The friendliness of staff, the comfort and cleanliness of our room and the prime location made it the perfect choice to enjoy the delights that Reykjavik has to offer. We will definitely return.

Overcharged by 39,000ISK on check in. Hotel were a little slow to deal with it but it did get refunded and we had a lovely complementary meal in the restaurant.

Some of the breakfast staff were obsessed with their mobiles, which is unacceptable. The dinner was very expensive and not particularly good.

The room was good, warm, large TV, kettle, bath, good bed, desk, large cupboard with iron and ironing board.

Our room was non smoking but smelt of stale smoke. The bathroom was tiny and had a lot of mould in the shower. I expected a bit more at £150 a night.

The location was perfect. Right in the heart of Reykjavík. The bedding and towels were changed upon request and the room service was very prompt.

Room small ,windows looked out on air con plant, noisy. Downstairs public toilet not clean when used. Radiators turned off and Thermostat did not work in room. Functioned when radiators adjusted. Large amount of building works in immediate area ,road diversions inconvenient. Prices did not reflect this or noise levels due to works.

Location close to old Harbour and Restaurants was Excellent. Room was clean but small. Staff helpful when contacted.

Liked everything.

We loved the ambience of Radisson Blue 1919. Unfortunately we had only one night at the hotel. If we come back to Reykjavik in the future we would definitely want to stay at the Radisson Blue 1919. It is right in the heart of central Reykjavik, close to good restaurants, bookshops and museums, and the bus stop for the airport shuttle is right outside.

Slightly noisy on weekend nights due to proximity to bars. Also staff was not very helpful - I had two separate reservations for the hotel as my dates of travel changed and I had to add on one separate night, but the hotel staff refused to combine the booking together despite calling them directly, and also trying via booking.com. So after staying one night, I was told to reactivate my keycard again because the system did not know that it was the same person staying across two bookings...

Good location near Harpa Convention Centre, near many restaurants (and right next to the famous hotdog stand...). Comfortable, clean and warm rooms. Toilet amenities provided, and good water pressure.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

A well known hot dog stand is located outside the main entrance and this creates both noise and mess for the guests. On Friday and Saturday nights it's open until about 5am and it party time on the street. Kept us awake all night. Towels are very poor quality and small.

Great location and friendly staff. Clean rooms. Breakfast is excellent.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

in iceland, for convenience you have to have a car to make it easy to reach everywhere easily, yet the hotel did not have any special parking for the hotel guests, we had to park our car in public parkings which were sometimes full, this is as far as i know is the only negative thing about the hotel.

The location of the hotel is very convenient, i like hotels that have essential stores very close to it like markets or pharmacies or restaurants, there is a 24/7 supermarket just 3 minutes walk from the hotel called "Ten Eleven" which has all the stuff you need like drinks and food and snacks, you could also get a sim card with a 10 GB data for your smart phone with a good price which was very convenient for me, nevertheless there are some cafe/s around you and restaurants with decent coffee and food if you were a coffee addict like me then this will be and important matter. the most amazing thing in the hotel was the concierge, a very sweet lady which is dedicated for her job that made our tourism trip very amazing by helping us book tours and gave us recommendations of what is a must do in iceland, we booked every tour in iceland through her which was very convinient and easy, she had her computer ready with all the tours available with pictures and she explained every single thing to us.

• Business Double or Twin Room

Dinner on the one night I took it was poor - expensive and poor quality meat and tired vegetables. Very few people seemed to use the restaurant, which could have been the reason.

Bedroom, bed, facilities, coffee and tea in room, wifi,

Quality of towels were terrible, they were small. torn and thin, not worthy of ANY hotel. The towels provided are our main complaint. Furthermore no breakfast (although paid for) available if you intend to leave for the airport before 7am. No stand alone shower, al integrated with a bathtub.

Standard quality, our junior suite was spacious enough for the two of us.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The staff were totally disinterested. Didn't bother to say good morning - even when you greeted them. Not particularly helpful either. Totally underwhelmed by the whole stay. The airport Radisson in Keflavik was 100% better all round.

Not a lot.

There's a all night food concession on the street where drunken party goers hang around screaming and singing all night. This happened both nights we started there. We did not sleep all night. They offered us ear plugs when we asked for a different room the second night.

Booked a Jr. suite at a high price on the front and tail end of a week long hiking trip. They made extra effort to get us in early when we arrived in the morning. Room was clean and modern and large with nice windows overlooking the street.

I would have like to know that you needed to "plug" your hotel door card to use the electricity. A novel way to conserve energy. Perhaps include the information near the "plug" or inform you customers when they check in. This is very minor. I would definitely come back!

Overall it was a good stay. As a female traveller, I felt the hotel was in a safe location. It was close to the shopping district and old harbour. The staff was always willing to help in particular when my luggage was delayed.

Room not cleaned until 15.30. No accessible mirror in bedroom-one on inside of wardrobe door no use at all. Tea bags not replaced in room. Minor point but basic. Although not the fault of the hotel the street cleaning at 07.00 both mornings was most unwelcome.

Location close to city centre, good check in, staff friendly enough. Some little edible treats in room day one a nice touch.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Due to heavy tourist season, there were issues of pick and drop from and to the airport as buses very not allowed in the lanes.

Very spacious and clean. The staff is helpful. The location is very good.

Price is ridiculous for what you get. A fast food stand outside the hotel operates until 6 AM. There were drunk people screaming all night long right outside both nights we stayed. We didn't sleep all night. They offered us ear plugs when we complained.

Junior suite was spacious with large windows, high ceilings and hardwood floors. We stayed 1 Saturday night and the following Sunday between trekking in the mountains for the week.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Really, as a Radisson chain it was sub-par, offering little more than what guesthouses offer but at a wildly higher price. The room size was good, but the beds were the standard twin-sizes you get throughout the country. The location meant we weren't able to sleep throughout the night because of all the street noise, including the constant revelers (most of them loudly drunk) leaving the clubs at 4am. The on-site restaurant's breakfast was, as most things in Iceland, incredibly expensive and its offerings were less than what local restaurants offer, and do so at either the same or lower price.

Staff was nice and the location is in "very" central Reykjavik.

The rooms were dated (no USB ports, television without internet option) and was understocked (no wash clothes. The tiles in the bathroom need scrubbing. Also, there was no air condition or fan, which meant leaving a small window open with plenty of traffic noise. The bed was a single, full size. Thank goodness I traveled with my sister. Had this been a different arrangement, I would have been uncomfortable. Also, the non-refundable clause is a demotivator to return or recommend.

The hotel is modern looking and efficiently furnished. The desk staff were friendly.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Had to pay for an extra bed for my son and for the expense feel that an extra bed should be offered. So did not sleep that well.

Room was nice and large with high ceilings . Fantastic location . Staff very friendly and helpful.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I asked for 2 twin beds and the room had 1 bed, so the had to come and separate the beds, the shower had no pressure, and I had to hold it with my hand fue to it would not stay on the holder, it fell off twice while I was in shower, I advised them of issue and they said that maintenance is not in on weekends, and did not fix the problem.. This is not what I expected for the high price that I paid.. Was very disappointed..

Location was good

The room was too hot, though one could open a window. The hot breakfast food was sometimes lukewarm.

The room was perfectly well-appointed. The bed was comfortable and bathroom very adequate. In-room Wi-Fi was fine. Breakfast included a cold buffet and hot food. Reception staff were very helpful when it came to booking a return shuttle bus to the airport. The hotel is very centrally situated.

Too expensive. Although the location is good, felt the price was too high. Food in the hotel was also expensive.

Location was excellent. The hotel was right at the city center. Easy to walk to mist of the places. Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful.

Breakfast included was terrible ! Very low quality for a Radisson hotel . No fresh squeezed juices , eggs made were terrible greasy , coffee takes forever to get. Guests don't have availability to coffee making machine as is the case in most 4-5 star hotels ( even 3 stars hotels have it )

Location & staff concierge very helpful e planning day tours & things to do

I am certain this has been noted before. But if not.. ! I think considering the Hotel location and the High parking charges. It might be a good idea (if not already done so) for Radisson SAS to negotiate with the local council/parking companies to have an agreement so there guests can park a little cheaper.

So after our nightmare at Travel Inn Guesthouse in Reykjavik. My wife and I headed to where we knew we would be treated right. We didn't bother booking. We just came here. We arrived just after 10 am and after explaining our unfortunate situation. The two receptionists on duty Elin and Viktor could not have been more helpful. So much so. That by 10.45 we where in our room relaxing. Now if that's NOT Customer Service I'd like to know what Is. The rest of the weekend went well. ALL the staff where helpful, knowledgeable, smiling and above all else.... happy. From the Concierge who advised on where to eat, the Maid who said good morning, the Cook smiling as he's walking by in the morning, the Indian and Polish Bartenders we spoke to at night. ALL where nice and pleasant. I don't for one minute think they where doing it for my wife and me. It's what they do, why they do and HOW they do it. Yes it is there jobs. But it's how they did it. With GENUINE smiles on there faces. I know This is a different type of hotel and it Is The Radisson SAS. Should that make such a difference. No it shouldn't. But it sure does when you have Such people ENJOYING what they are doing. And doing it to make YOU And Me happy. I'm like most people. I like to find a good hotel for a reasonable price. But after my experience here. It will be Radisson SAS if there is the opportunity from now on. Many Thanks Thank you Elin and Viktor and the Rest of the team at Radisson SAS 1919 for saving our Anniversary weekend. Tina-Linea & Le-roiy

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

Nothing to complain about in this hotel

The property is very well located for all amenities in the area. The Breakfast in the hotel was very good and just enough to choose from.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

We had a junior sweet and our friends a standard room. For the extra we paid there was no difference in the rooms.

Good choice of food and drink at breakfast. Hotel was central and close to bars and restaurants.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

• Business Double or Twin Room

External noise at night-time. Hotel must be situated near nightclubs as there was excessive noise until 4am on the Friday night/Saturday morning

Bed very comfortable

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Very expensive breakfast. breakfast laid out in 2 rooms - staff didn't explain this just left us to discover that hot options were tucked away in one room and continental option in other room. Lots of building work at the back of the hotel at the moment- quite noisy in the mornings.

Rooms spacious and very clean. Great central location for the harbour, shops and restaurants

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Very noisy at night as backs onto main 'drinking' street, would stay on harbour front next time. Staff ok but didnt go out of there way to offer any further help. Towels felt like sandpaper.

Very central, (but then noise) beds comfy, lots of info guide stuff in lounge area.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

Location in downtown Reykjavik was perfect! easy walk up to the main street/church, lots of pubs around, 24hour supermarket and BEST of all...the famous hotdog stall just across the road!

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

The noise from passers-by and some traffic on and fri & sat night between 1am & 5am was regular. Worst night sleeps in a hotel I've ever had over those 2 nights.. We were also there mid week and no noise so must be weekend revellers from the bars. Bars/club close at 5am everything goes quiet after this time. Should have at least triple glazing to reduce noise.

General hotel very nice, stylish in reception & rooms. Good choice of breakfast. Staff very pleasant & Happy to help.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

• Business Double or Twin Room

The tours we booked through the hotel were extremely expensive and as we would say in Ireland "A complete rip off"

Bed was very comfy, coffee was a little scarce, generally hotel very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

If you are a light sleeper, you will not enjoy the Friday/Saturday night noises coming from the street until early morning hours. There was apperantly a very popular hot dog buffet on the street right below our room with long queues until morning and it is impossible not to wake up with the loud noise, laughters and even fights coming from there.

Very good location indeed! We enjoyed our stay at Radisson with comfortable room (not big though) at Radisson standards, helpful staff and good breakfast. I would not hesitate to stay there again if I would visit Reyjkavik again.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The hotel itself could certainly use some updating - rooms are a bit dated, particularly the bathrooms. First night's room was right above a crowded night spot; we moved the next night to find we were below a storage room, which was loudly accessed each morning.

Fantastic location, right in the center of everything. Wonderful, friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

Too small room with not an extra inch and no drawers. Shower had black something in the grouting and no bathroom shelf to put a small toiletry bag.

Good location.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

There are quite a few issues that disappointed us: 1. The hotel was clearly not full and even though we were travelling with a toddler, we were put in a room very far from the lifts, and after the lifts had to go down a few steps to get to the room. Also couldn't have had a worst view: the rubbish dump from a restaurant next door. 2. The bathroom was just not right, even though it was clean, it clearly needs upgrading, the grout needs replacing at least in the shower, and also some of the tiles. 3. For the price I was expecting it to be more upmarket, have stayed in much better hotels for that sort of price or less. 4. Getting charged 18 euros per night for a foldable bed for our daughter is just ludicrous. Having seen a room in our floor full of foldable beds made me wonder why do I have to pay extra for something that is there collecting dust in the first place anyway? 5. Again, travelling with a toddler is not easy and we received no help at all with our luggage during check in or check out. 6. We made the booking around 10 months in advance and made perfectly clear that we would be travelling with a 3 year old, and also mentioned this trip was an special occasion. No effort was made to make us feel the hotel cared this was a special occasion.

The hotel is clean, the food is very nice and the rooms are comfortable.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

• Business Double or Twin Room

The cushion of the sofa bed was quite uncomfortable.

Location - near restaurants, tourist information, Old Harbor, shopping street, bus to the mall. There is a tour desk at the hotel lobby. This makes tour planning easier. Breakfast food the same everyday, but still something to look forward to. Excellent service in the restaurant and front desk. Very clean and spacious room. Superb housekeeping service.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

The cooked breakfast was served as a self service buffet and the selection was great. However irrespective of what time I came down for breakfast the items were always near enough cold. I expect a cooked breakfast even if a self service buffet should be maintained hot.

Great selection for breakfast

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

On our arrival we were ignored at reception, because 2 receptionists were dealing with one customer.. we were not even acknowledged. The bathroom smelt very strongly of bleach on our arrival- maybe should have aired the bathroom out to avoid it smelling like a hospital. We were in room 321 and were rudely woken up at 5am due to delivery vans arriving and drivers shouting to each other just below our window- which had a beautiful view of the dirty, delivery back alley behind the hotel.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

The room was WAY overpriced for what you got. The room was on a low floor facing construction and there was loud music playing most of the night but I could tell where it was coming from.

The location right in the middle of the city was perfect.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

A little loud during "nightlife" hours. The room wasn't as cushy as the photos online made it seem, but was clean, spacious, and comfortable.

The hotel was very comfortable with easy access to main sights and shopping. Tons of food options, which was vet helpful when arriving from a midnight flight into KEF. You're definitely paying extra for the location, but I would say its worth it. Great breakfast.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

The price per night was that of a Weston, or Waldorf in NYC, and while very comfortable, should have been at least $100 less per night. Considering breakfast was included, and tacked on another $32 I'll likely stay elsewhere on my next trip.

Great location, great staff, especially the night time team, as they had fantastic recommendations for places to eat...

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

I wish the "to-go" coffee in the lobby was complimentary to guests.

Great location - very close to main shopping streets. Easy drop off with FlyBus. Very quiet, clean, and modern hotel. The breakfast was very nice - both cold and hot buffet. Large rooms.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

Hotel bar: Limited opening hours during the day. Neighbourhood: Noisy construction work at the moment. No english/french/german/japanese etc. newspaper available in-house.. Design, variety and cleanliness of the furniture of a room @ 560.- Swiss Francs per night were VERY poor. The iron was unusable. The so-called courtesy "amuse-bouche" lay there, uncovered, did not look really fresh. Some plants and flowers, adequately placed, could improve the general impression.

The staff varies between icecold and EXTREMELY nice. I preferred the latter...... Perfect breakfast. TV: in three/four european languages. The Junior Suite is huge and very well cleaned. The location is ideal for the general traveller. Stylish building!

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The receptionist that checked us in wasn't welcoming. He didn't even offer us a map of the area or even tell us where to find details of the wifi. The area around the sink in the bathroom was small

The location was great, a few minutes walk from many resturaunts. There was a resturaunt close by with some halal options The breakfast was great with many options and freshly made eggs done to your liking. The staff in the restaurant during breakfast time while we were there were simply amaaazing

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

The staff was generally helpful but it took a little work to get assistance. It may have been a language issue.

The hotel was centrally located, breakfast was a little pricey but good.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

Room was small, unattractive and plain-- like a cheap motel. Nothing worked--bedside lamps, blinds, hairdryer. Really noisy on weekends---we could not get to sleep until after 7 am. The whole place needs a makeover.

The hotel is great, but in need of some updating and maintenance. The towels in the bath were worn and frayed, the tiles chipped and broken, and a number of lights in the room were burned out and not replaced during our stay.

This hotel has a great location in the centre of the city.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We thought that the condition of two white chairs in our room could have looked cleaner and was not a good reflection for the hotel. Room 402

The bed and pillows were delicious. The staff was very accomodating and friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Business Double or Twin Room

The bath room extraction fan in one of the rooms was not working, making the room quite smelly and stuffy. Our rooms were on the 5th floor. Even at the top floor street noise was pronounced. We were there on a Saturday. Bar noise was so loud we were not able to sleep, and it did not stop until past 5AM. We cannot recommend the hotel.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

Rooms a bit on the small side, and not much room to unpack belongings. Housekeeping wasn't great, often quite late and we had to ask for replacement towels a few times.

Breakfast good, but pricey (like everything in Iceland).

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

The price per night is extortionate for the quality of rooms, towels etc. £298 per night is central London rate at a top hotel. This could not match the same standards.

Very friendly and helpful staff, great location. However, bear in mind that because the city is so small, most hotels will be well located and within walking distance of main areas of interest.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

• Business Double or Twin Room

Everything was fantastic except staff are not very friendly especially in restaurant (when we are having our breakfast). Apparently, the room insulation was not great as it was pretty noisy during our sleeping hour

Excellent location and extremely convenient.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

It was a very basic room, more like a Travel lodge but was very expensive for what it was.

The staff were friendly and it was in a good central location.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

• Business Double or Twin Room

It's gets a bit noisy at night especially over the weekends. but the noise app is helpful.

Location was great. Room was clean. Breakfast was good and included eggs yogurt fruit and cake.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

The hotel was over priced for poor quality. We had to endure noises coming from next door restaurant with banging and chairs dragging across the floor until we can stand no longer. Called reception and requested to speak to the manager and he stressed that they're full but can change room for us only because I told them that I'm with my 68 year old mum who was having problem sleeping . Credit for that. But the next room wasn't much better with noises from the street with people shouting, building works started very early and traffic through the night.

Great location and friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 2 July 2016

The service level and attitude from the hotel staff can be improved a lot. It can be ok that a complaint on leaking shower can't be fixed same day but it's not ok to not give any answer about that until the complaint is repeated after 1 day. The time it took to get omelet served at breakfast was extremely long and strange that 2 mornings in a row the fresh fruit is not filled up when there is 1 hour left of breakfast time, combined with no type of apologies from the staff.

Location is great!

• Reviewed: 29 June 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Comfortable but fairly basic considering the price, though maybe that is Reykjavik. No space in bathroom to store toiletries. Why not put in a shelf....?

Handy location Decent breakfast

• Reviewed: 21 June 2016

Service, cleanness, staff.. almost everything is very poor.. receptionists are helpless and inattentive.. rooms are not cleaned until you call housekeeping.. and so on.. it's a *** hotel not more.

Location is the only thing you could like in this hotel..

Hotel is in the city center, not to far from old harbor. The breakfast was delicoous. The staf was polite.

Arrived on an overnight flight and very tired. The room was ready several hours before the regular check-in time!

The pillows

The rooms were adequate but the pillows were worse than bad !!

• Suite with Spa Bath

Its absolutely NOT value for the money.

• Business Double or Twin Room

Bed a little firm and pillows definitely too soft and thin.

• Business Double or Twin Room

Noise from street, could do with triple glazing

Location is great Spacious room and light

• Business Double or Twin Room

Cleaning of the room not up to expectation

Comfortable pillow

Layout was good

Nice building from the past but deco inside is far too modern for such an old building

pillows far too soft and no choice. Fan on all night v noisy