Reviews of Hotel Al Ponte Dei Sospiri 4 stars

San Marco 381, San Marco, 30124 Venice, Italy

#181 of 301 hotels in Venice

We booked 2 suites, one with a view of the Ponte dei Sospiri and the neighboring room that had a partial canal view. The rooms are beautiful in a sort of shabby, yet extremely elegant way, which I find to be quite common in Venezia and would never want it to be any other way. The hotel staff was extremely accommodating, friendly, and professional - they offer a true concierge experience. The view from the corner suite with it's 2 balconies cannot be beat and I was tempted to stay in my room all day rather than go out! Breakfast is served in the room and delivered at the hour you request, very nicely done.

• Junior Suite with Canal View

Nothing. Everything in this hotel was exceptional

Great view of the canal since we where given a corner room with a patio that over looks the water and bridge. 5 min walk to the Doge Palace/St Mark Sq and the pier, this a prime location for restaurant and shopping. Great staff!!!

Perfect old-style hotel for best feeling of Venice! Best location - only 50-70 m from Sun Marc square. The staff was incredible polite and helpful! I'm very recommend it for trip to Venice.

Perhaps some hot breakfast choices?

We loved this charming boutique hotel. The room was beautiful, location perfect, staff were so lovely...could not fault it. We will be back for sure.

• Junior Suite with Canal View

- bathroom to renovate (very old, dripping tap ect.) - no comforters (in summer maybe it's an option but not in winter time) - no breakfast room or buffet

+ excellent location + great canal view + friendly staff + good coffee

• Deluxe Double Room

There was nothing to fault

Manuel on reception was excellent. His manner and knowledge went above and beyond of what I would have expected. Nothing was too much trouble.

The bathroom doors were a little weird such that when bathing, water would leak out from the bottom and it leaked all the way out of the bathroom and near the wardrobe. It was fixed though, but it seems more like a temporary fix than a permanent one. We stayed on the first floor so we could hear people walk and there's a bank downstairs so early in the morning at 6am, people will start drawing cash so it's really noisy from the beeps. sounds

The beds were comfortable, the room was really big and the lights were really conducive for work.

• Junior Suite with Canal View

There was a bad smell in the lift well, noticed only near the lift not elsewhere thankfully.

The staff in particular our breakfast waiter Raphaelle were extremely friendly and helpful all staff were very good.

• Junior Suite with Canal View

The junior suite needed an upgrade the chair arms had torn material and the bathroom needed updating there was only a hand held shower attachment and no shower screen or curtain so it got flooded when used!

The staff were excellent and very helpful

I loved the staff of Hotel Al Ponte Sospiri. Raffealle was exceptional, and brought us breakfast to our room each morning with the grandest smile one could possibly ask for. Raffaele was a man who enjoyed his job thoroughly and made me feel like a king and a friend all at once. Manuel at reception went out of his way to find me a bottle opener, and he too made our stay that much nicer with his friendly demeanor and humor.

• Junior Suite with Canal View

BEWARE!!.....BE VERY CAREFUL IF EVEN CONSIDERING THIS PROPERTY! Having stayed in Venice previously, we were very, very disappointed with this accommodation, and cannot understand how this property has achieved 4 star rating! I would take the previous "good ratings" with an extremely large dose of salt. We cannot see how anyone staying here once, would ever choose this property again. Having booked and paid for a 30sqm Junior Suite with Canal View, which looked excellent in the staged photos, we were given keys to a much cheaper, much smaller room with a hole in the floor, very tired and damaged decor, stained carpets, and furniture with handles missing. We brought this to their attention and were then shown an alternative room, which had a double sized bed frame, but child sized mattress, and even more tired decor (see pics). Having driven all day, and arrived late at the public water bus taxi rank, we called the hotel to arrange a private water taxi for us. They were unwilling to do even this....something previous hotels had only ever been too happy to do. The reservation / duty manager who was on duty most of the time was extremely rude and totally unhelpful, not willing to help. Phone calls to their alleged 'booking office' only resulted in the reply "the manager will sort it...." but he was never willing to! All he would repeat is "make a complaint to Booking.com" The hotel advertises breakfast.....but what they don't tell you is that this is in an entirely different building, up the street, and then down another side street.....not a lot of fun early in the morning in winter, in the rain.

We love Venice

Absolutely nothing!!

This was our fourth visit to Venice, and our fourth stay at Hotel Al Ponte Dei Sospiri. We wouldn't stay anywhere else. Beautiful room, ideal location, friendly staff.

• Junior Suite with Canal View

The room was not the room I requested or paid for, when asking the staff for a different room they were not accommodating. I came for business and to use the room for a photo shoot for my jewelry line and couldn’t even do that because the room was nothing like what I booked. It was small, the paint was chipping, carpets stained. The night staff was a very friendly man and kind, wasn’t able to help with the room and said to come in the morning to the front desk and ask then, so I did and the man was not helpful. He said “I’m not happy that you’re not happy” and that was as far as anything was done. They legitimately put me in a room that was not what I booked- even after booking months in advance with specific requests.

Expect for the man who checked us in the rest of the staff was very nice.

The place was a disappointment. The mirror on the wardrobe was crack and held together with tape. The bidet did not work. The toilet only worked on full flush even though it had two settike all toilets in Italy. There was mold in the bathtub and shower. The place advertised breakfast in bed. That was really the only option otherwise you had to walk to blocks to a sister hotel for a buffet breakfast. Three hotels shared the buffet. Every morning it was mobbed. No table serve. You had to get everything yourself. For the price I expected more service. I would not recommend this place to anyone given the price even for Venice. This wasn't my first trip to Venice. I would like a refund. I plan on complainin given the broken mirror and mold. I have photos to document. Also I registered for a room witless a view and didn't get it. I asked for a room with a view and said I would pay more. I was told there were no rooms available until the 27th. The two rooms next to our room were vacant while we were there. They had a view. I will be writing up a negative review unless I am compensated.

• Junior Suite with Canal View

Room showed wear and tear, but still a nice room.

Amazing location right on the canal. Staff was excellent and knowledgeable about area. Steam shower in bathroom. Complimentary champagne on arrival. Very romantic. Water taxi can drop you of directly at the hotel.

it was an old with very small entrance hotel that you can not see in photos. also the breakfast served in another place near the hotel.

it was very clean and near to restaurants and shops.

Very good location, but the building electrical power was low and did not charge cell phones. There were no irons and they charge $30 Euros to press shirts and jackets which are required at many of the nice restaurants in Venice. AC was luke warm but probabaly acceptable for european standards. Can't recommend. The sister hotel to this one is a better option.

Location was good.

Room maintenance could have been better, loose towel hooks etc need fixing.

Excellent location, room was quiet even though the area is busy. Breakfasts, both in our room and in the breakfast room were very good.

Very poor breakfast, repairs being carried out during our entire stay. No lobby or sitting area

The location is great. Easy access to the main square and all restaurants

Breakfast is very poor and its outside the hotel.

Very friendly staff, nice location, close to the city center and restaurants. Room looks nice, big enough.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

When I booked this room it was suppose to have a/c And when we got there our room was hot I asked the front desk and they said that the a/c would not be turned on until 2 more weeks it would be turned on So we had to sleep with the windows opens and my husband got bit by mositoes like 200 times we had to visit the pharmacy to get something for him because it was all over his body. It was really bad and we had to be like this for 2 nights. We do not recommend this place. We would never go to this place again

The breakfast was good, the staff was somewhat helpful

• Deluxe Double Room

Tiny issue - the pillows were not comfortable. Everything else was excellent.

The location was perfect, the room was clean and light and the staff very friendly. I would stay here again.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

Bed was to hard.

Excellent location just off St Marco Square. We could see the bridge of Sighs from our room :) Lots of restaurants near by and shopping everywhere near by. Arrived by water taxi from airport and travelled back that way as 30min verses 1.5hrs, expenisive though, but well worth the money. Fantastic sights and history to discover.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• Junior Suite with Canal View

Breakfast in bed was a wonderful touch and it was delicious. Raphael was very accommodating and a pleasure to interact with every morning. The room was absolutely beautiful with a great view of the canal leading out to the channel.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

Not advertise as hotel It is not

Not an hotel No lounge facilities No bar Tradesas an adjunct of " sister hotel" approximately 100 yards away Breakfast served there

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

our room was above an independent restaurant and the noise sometimes was unbearable, nothing to do with the hotel tho

location is perfect, staff are nice and really helpful, breakfast in room was a great touch.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Only thing I can think off Is a need to improve the finish around the bath. But it is not a big thing just visual, I cannot blame much as the bubbles are strong making water quite lively :)

Venice style decor, excellent location on the side of the canal right behind San Marco. Spacious. Proper 4 stars. Beautiful doors, bedside tables. Full Bathroom with bath bubbles ideal for a relax time after walking around.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

• Junior Suite with Canal View

The hotel was fantastic. We had a great view of the canal and a lovely spacious room with a fantastic bathroom and a great shower! The staff were so helpful and knowledgeable, giving us great advice on Venice and bringing a lovely breakfast to our room each day. I couldn't recommend this hotel enough it made Venice even more special.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

Room was smelly , no hot water no heating working girl in reception took it personal when I reported the issues mentioned above. Breakfast appeared dry & below average

Nothing about this hotel reflected on the price I paid

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

• Junior Suite with Canal View

It would have been good to have had an iron and ironing board in the room, but there were laundry facilities available so this wasn't a major problem.

Location was perfect for visiting all the major attractions of the city. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast had lots of choices and having the option to eat this in your room added to the ease & romance of our trip.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

It is far away from 4 stars hotel quality. Small check-in, no lobby, poor quality junior suite room, we were upgraded to have space for extra bed although I made choice of the hotel based on spacious room. Bathroom out of date, some repairs were done but overall experience very low. Low quality bath set, just basic soap and gel/shampoo 2in1.

Location, nice staff, option in room breakfast at no extra charge because there is no restaurant in the hotel

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

• Junior Suite (3 Adults)

No facilities for breakfast on site unless you wanted breakfast in your room. Which was served by a great waiter

helpful friendly staff. Rooms were quite luxurious

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

The most amazing view from the hotel bedroom. We ate breakfast overlooking the most iconic bridge in Venice. It superseded my expectations. Location was exceptional. I have travelled around the world stayed in great hotels but this was one I will not forget.

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

The hotel was very European looking. The furnishings made you feel like u were living in Italy. The staff were all very nice, helpful and professional.

Limited breakfast in separate location near hotel

Large comfortable room, furnished in traditional style Excellent location near San Marco

location is very close to st marko square

Pillows

Breakfast served in the room from full menu, location cannot be topped

• Junior Suite with Canal View

Bed was a little too hard.

Excellent location, wonderful view from our room. Breakfast was outstanding!

surely NOT a 4 star hotel. rooms equipt with very old furniture very small shower.

very friendly staff and Great location

• Junior Suite with Canal View

Everything was just perfect , location, view from window , breakfast was fantastic , staff all so friendly - highly recommend it !

• Deluxe Double Room

Very small rooms..no breakfast area.. staff and room service below average

• Junior Suite with Canal View

Breakfast in the room was really special.

• Deluxe Double Room

Shower was awful tiny and leaked all on floor

Friendly and attentive staff

Everything was bad

Awefull

Breakfast in bed and the super nice staff

Amazing rooms, staff very friendly and knowledgable

Excellent location

• Junior Suite with Canal View

Everything was amazing! The suite, the location, the view of the canal, the staff

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Elevator and shower stall in hotel are very small.

Location to shopping and restaurants. Very quiet.

• Deluxe Double Room

There was a Ned all from either canal or toilets near the tiniest lift in the world

Raphaele our breakfast waiter was so cheery and helpful

Beakfast is great

No lounge area or breakfast room.

Perfect position for exploring Venice.

• Junior Suite with Canal View

Room in general plus the views of the canal and the Bridges'of Sighs

• Junior Suite (3 Adults)

There is no iron

Very central & easy to get around , staff was very helpful & friendly !!

The staff were very helpful!!!

• Junior Suite with Canal View

Room service breakfast included in the price. Great view of the bridge of sighs and great location only 2 minutes from st marks square.

- breakfast was poor - The AC not working well

- The location of the hotel - Stuff was helpful

No concierge service at all . Pellow was hard . No lobby.

The room services man ( Rafaelli), The size of the room, Location.

Very poor average quality breakfast

Quality and beauty of the room

• Junior Suite with Canal View

Breakfast service was excellent, coffee not to my liking tho but I'm fussy!!

The breakfast options very limited and not tasty

Spacious room and high tech shower. close to main plaza and very good restaurants.

Cleanliness

Somehow location

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

furnitures was used full, bathroom was extremely small, room wasn't suit size

staff was very friendly and helpfull

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

The bed was not very comfortable and the bathroom needed a little tlc

B

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

The location was outstanding, the room was comfortable and the staff was charming! Bonus, the wifi was great and there was plenty of hot water!

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

• Junior Suite with Canal View

No plug points that would charge my phone

Ambience

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

Lovely hotel in an excellent location, just a couple of minutes stroll from St. Marks square.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

Could be quite noisy

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

No hot water for the first day.

Very friendly service. Perfect location.

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

Breakfast in the room Location Staff

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

• Junior Suite with Canal View

The noise, the lack of a lobby inside the hotel

Croissants, bled, decoration, staff

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

Location - Very close to the ST Marks square and other major areas. Has a private PIER

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

The staff need to be more friendly.

• Reviewed: 17 September 2016

Very crowded area.

The location was great.

There are also 28 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Hotel Al Ponte Dei Sospiri traveller photo gallery