Reviews of Albergo Sempione 2 stars

Corso Italia 46, 28838 Stresa, Italy

#25 of 29 hotels in Stresa

• Double Room with Lake View

The decor. Clean but dated, lovely marble tiling and basin tops spoilt by shocking pink painted walls.

Excellent location, room was a good size with plenty of storage, bathroom large and clean. Little balcony with lovely view of the lake. Staff were friendly and helpful

Bed and pillows awful. Smell of cigarettes on towels which were certainly not soft. Room was depression era. Room not depicted accurately on booking.com website.

It’s location and staff were very pleasant

• Triple Room with Lake View

The Location was perfect. The mattress was very comfortable. The room was very clean. The breakfast was very good. The staff was very accomodating! Would highly recommend Albergo Sempione!

• Double Room with Lake View

Staff very friendly. Cleanliness was excellent. Position could not have been better. Perfect for boats, restaurants nearby and great view from balcony.

Older style decor. Was fine for 1 or 2 nights but would probably upgrade if staying longer.

Great location. Easy walk to shops and restaurants. Breakfast room view is wonderful. Host friendly and very helpful.

• Double Room with Lake View

Building and decor was tired. Shower took an unexaggerated five minutes to run warm/hot. Bed was too short for me (1.8m tall).

Location was terrific. We had a lake view room which I think would be essential in this hotel. Breakfast was typical of this kind of hotel. Towels changed most days

• Double Room with Lake View

The wifi is not very stable.

I had a super view on the lake on the balcony. All of the staff are very kind and helpful. Bed is very comfortable, room is big so does the bathroom, clean and big. Breakfast is nice and rich, also with hot croissant and good coffee served.

• Double Room with Lake View

We had a double room with lake view and it was very nice, spacy room, big bathroom, little tarrace with table and two chairs. Beautiful view and close to everything.

The rooms are small. Think it wouldn't be comfortable for long stay, but for 2-3 nigkts it's just perfect.

The staff is very friendly, the bed was comfortable, the location is great. It wasnt mentioned at the booking description, but there is free park places just a minute from the hotel, o it was a bonus.

• Quadruple Room with Lake View

The smell. The smell was unbearable, like drainage. They used to spray air fresher to cover up the smell. The shower bowl overflows when showering. Sink drips water unless you really really tighten it to close. One bed was limp. Overall, the hotel needs a restoration very badly. I don't like to give a poor review and never did. This is my first and I simply couldn't let it go.

Breakfast was served but I wouldn`t call it "Good Breakfast". The selection was very limited and all days the same. The location and very particular, the view, was excellent. You can stay on the balcony and enjoy the magnificent view of the lake. For the view only would I consider booking again at this hotel but nothing more.

• Double Room with Lake View

Your site mentions there is a restaurant. This is NOT true. There is no restaurant any more. The breakfast was very nice, however !!!

Location, view, friendliness of staff.

The electricity in my room failed quite often and it was a problem with the electricty board of my room

Breakfast was ok, good coffee and nice view from the dining room. Very good attention from Giuseppe at the reception desk. Excellent location in front of Lago Maggiore.

The balcony doors didn't close properly and there was a raging storm outside. Even with a huge armchair pushed up against the doors, they swung open and let cold air and rain into the room. The television wasn't programmed properly (not a big deal - we hardly watch TV, but others might).

Helpful staff. Comfy bed. Big bathroom

Establishment in general is needing some serious refurbishment, furniture is old and in bad state, we found cockroaches in the room and in general the hotel looks dated, shabby and worn out, room was very small.

Location with view of the lake (for few rooms only and at a premium cost), central position in the city centre overlooking the lake, breakfast although with limited choice was good and included in price.

• Triple Room with Lake View

Room was very clean and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. The breakfast in the morning was very good with the coffee made fresh for each person. Good choices of pastries, cereals, meats and cheeses. Would stay again!!

• Junior Suite with Lake View

Poor noise insulation (Could hear neighbor snoring at night etc.), Rooms need some general repair.

I totally loved the view from the balconies - breathtaking! Loved sitting on the balcony with a glass of wine overlooking the lake. The bed was very comfortable, towels and linen very clean and white. TV had plenty on kids channels in italian - good bonus. There's a lift.

The hotel décor is very dated. We've booked a sea view room but our first floor room has restricted views obstructed by trees and looks out to the flat roof of the dining area below, therefore has no balcony. Our friends' room on the second floor has better views and a balcony. Breakfast has very limited choice.

The hotel is in a good position, at the seafront close to the ferry/boat piers to the islands. It's only a few minutes walk to the town centre and right next to an excellent pizzeria. The hotel does not offer parking but there is large public car parking by the piers with very reasonable daily rates.

• Double Room with Lake View

There was no restaurant there for lunch or dinner but that was compensated for by the numerous nearby restaurants & bars which were excellent and only 5 minutes walk from the hotel. A continental breakfast was served in the small cozy sun room at the front of the hotel at street level with great views of the lake. The railway station was a bit too far to walk, to and from, especially when we were carrying 3 suitcases, so we just took a taxi there.

We had a lovely cosy room with our own en-suite and a balcony overlooking Lake Maggiore - the views of the lake & the surrounding mountains were magnificent. The hotel is 5 minutes walk from the lake's regular "hop on hop off" ferry service and we visited all the nearby Borromean islands - it was a great day out. The hotel is family run and the staff were just delightful although their English was a bit basic but better than our Italian anyway.

• Double Room with Lake View

The view from the room was spectacular - the lake is beautiful. The room was comfortable, with a huge bathroom and a balcony overlooking Lake Maggiore. Breakfast was great, and the staff was cordial, helpful, and very accommodating.

The albergo is a little tired but is a good example of shabby shick. Great location, the breakfast room is the best, right in the front of the hotel all glass overlooking the lake. Amazing view. The staff were friendly. Breakfast was ok

• Junior Suite with Lake View

The mattress was well overdue for replacement.

The view from my room on the 4th floor was amazing . The hospitality was excellent. The room was very clean and spacious.

The bathroom was private but it was not inside our room. Not a huge problem for one night but we had to go to a room across the hall to shower etc.

Staff were very accommodating. Location of the hotel was outstanding. We received a lake view room even though we did not pay for one.

• Double Room with Lake View

Location was superb, opposite the lake and our room had a balcony with lake view. Breakfast was generous Continental style with coffee made for us. We spent five nights here and left reluctantly.

• Double Room with Lake View

A bit of updating internally but that would increase the cost. Yes and coffee in the room would be nice and a slightly better breakfast even boiled eggs would be good

Yes and coffe in the room would be good, also the wifi fluctuated and all of my data was eaten up. Staff very nice and helpful. Quite dated interior but absolutely clean as a new pin

• Double Room with Lake View

The manager/owner had trouble finding my reservation. He took my passport but failed to return it before showing me how to get to the post office to purchase a sim card for my cell phone. At the post office, I was told I needed my passport. I walked back through town, got my passport, returned to the post office and was then told I could not purchase a sim card because I was not Italian and was a security risk??? I requested a newly renovated room, non-smoking, and on a high floor. The room I was given was on the lowest floor and 1950's vintage that had not been renovated since the 1950s. I request a taxi be called the night before I checked out for an early morning train departure at 7:50 am. The female staff assured me that a taxi would be ready. When I arrived in the lobby the following morning, the owner/manager informed me that I must call for a taxi, knowing full well I had no cell phone. If it were not for an elderly woman also waiting in the lobby for a taxi, I would never have gotten to the train station in time. She spoke some Italian. The owner/manager took us both to the train station in his car. We each paid 10 EU for that service which would never have been afforded me had the other women not also been going to the train station at the same time. I assume this property's rave reviews were due to the renovated rooms they must have. I was not given such an accommodation and would not recommend this property unless I had in writing that a renovated room would be assigned. Jeanne Howard (former tour director, hotel sales manager, travel agent, and current travel writer. My website is jeannemhoward.com

View was exactly what I had expected.

Nothing not to like!

Great location on the shore with ferry terminal across the street. Great location for restaurants too. Beautiful scenery and not crowded at all now. In Baveno up coast last year so tried Stresa for a change.

Small bathroom in our first room.

What a beautiful place. Despite a problem created by the booking procedure in the hotel our second room, without the view, was more comfortable than the room with the view. The staff were exceptional and always willing to help out with any request. The waiter at breakfast was very attentive and the young girl at reception is an real asset to the hotel.

• Double Room with Lake View

More instructions as to how to find the place and where to park would be ideal! It is sandwiched between two places and the entrance isn't very obvious to begin with.

The rooms with a lake front balcony have incredible views! The staff were very friendly and the breakfast was lovely.

The temperature of the room, The breakfast is basic, there was a lot of banging and slamming that would wake me in the morning

The location was fantastic and very central the staff were helpful and friendly. Overall I was really happy with it, it was such a beautiful spot.

• Triple Room with Lake View

Entire property needs a lot of work. It is very rundown! The bathroom in our room had a broken toilet roll holder (substituted with a broken pencil in its place) and styrofoam covering part of the walls. Walls in the room were covered in fabric that was discoloured and very dirty looking. Unfortunately I would not recommend this property or return myself.

Location of the property was ideal to visit Stresa and the surrounding areas. The staff were pleasant.

• Double Room with Lake View

The hotel itself is old and gloomy but the location improves the impression.

The location is very good and we had a room with a balcony and a great view on the lake. It was a pleasure sitting there.

The lake view rooms make staying here special, nice little balcony with a table and chairs. It was really hot in all of Italy, however the ceiling fan was sufficient to make sleeping comfortable... oh ... and the view. I would stay here again

• Single Room with Lake View

It was not air conditioned . Would like to suggest the hotel offer earl grey tea bags at breakfast as well as bottled water. Bottled water in room would also be nice

The view and the verandah which is available with the the lake view rooms.

• Quadruple Room with Lake View

The staff was busy gossiping instead of working. Wi-fi did not work. We did not feel welcomed in the hotel and no information was given to us. Basically, the key and that was it. Beds were not very comfortable.

The price for the place is absolutely fair. The surroundings are very elegant and you will have all the necessary. The entire facility is old, however everything is clean and you get soap, clean towels, clean sheets, etc... Breakfast is good. I am usually not a big fan of Italian breakfast, but there was a bit of everything.

• Double Room with Lake View

We arrived late and was given a double bed, I told them we were 2 adults and one 12 year old. I was under the impression we would get a double bed and a single. The walls were cloth material and smelled musty and had water stains - tile in the bathroom was crumbling. Breakfast was poor- canned fruit and low quality food. Street parking We paid extra for a 3rd person breakfast-

Coffe was decent. The restaurant next door was good!

Tiny bathrooms, very tiny, i got bruises from hitting things around all the time. If you don't get a room facing the lake you'll be facing the walls of neighbouring buildings. Breakfast is ok, and for some people might be even good but i do need my omelet or fried eggs in the morning, plus if you are not an early bird you risk to not have any croissants left. Would not recommend coffee as it was bitter (maybe just was bad luck with the coffee provider at the time of our stay)

Very nice view if you're lucky to get a room facing the lake. Also just across the road from the navigation station which is a huge convenience. And the price is very low compared to the rest of the hotels in Stresa. The personnel is very nice and helpful.

The lack of air conditioning. Front door lock & Shower doors difficult to manage. Shampoo sachet difficult to open.

Quietness of room. Helpful friendliness of the staff. Clean linen daily

• Double Room with Lake View

There was spider webs on the corners of the room , on the balcony and around the door to the balcony. It's easy to be removed by the cleaning staff, I guess.

The thing that I've liked the most was the great view to the Lago Maggiore. This is perhaps the best thing that this hotel posses. The bed was also comfortable, the bathroom was clean.

WiFi is slow sometime

This is a nice hotel with nice staff and good view of the lake. The room is quite but the temperature in the room is high due to without aircondition. The breakfast is good.

• Double Room with Lake View

It was very very hot in the bedroom in the night, the fan in the room made no difference really. I also didn't appreciate the woman at reception putting my payment through without me being there. I went down and she said "I have already put it through for you" I feel like she could have waited.

The location was amazing, we spent the weekend swimming in the lake. The balcony view room was a nice touch too. Breakfast was cute in the veranda. The hotel was very italian looking which I really appreciated! All of the staff at reception spoke English too which made it easy. She gave us a map and explained about the way the hotel worked.

WiFi is slow sometimes

WiFi is slow sometimes.

The room is unblievable small hardly you can walk the bathroom very old and the water of the shower spray everywhere elase except on you. We was feeling we couldnt breath in the room specially the day time. No aircondition in the room just a ceiling fun and that one we was thinking it will fall down in our head in any minute. Not value for money at all with a litlle bit more you can stay at much more decent hotels allong the lake side.

The hotel (hard to find it) because is located throught the restaurant mains entrance. The rooms are terribly small and specially our room was unbrathable... you could feel that there is no air to breathe since every window is opening in the balconies and windows of other houses. we ask if they could change our room but they said they couldnt. The only good about it is the location right on center of Stressa. And yes Stressa is beautifully amazing.

• Double Room with Lake View

Room very hot although ceiling fan worked well it was noisy. Road in front of hotel was noisy all through the night so couldn't really have the French doors open.

Fantastic location and lovely lake view from the balcony.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

• Double Room with Lake View

The hotel badly needs a renovation. The carpet looked new and clean, but the bed wasn't very comfy and an armchair in our room was broken. Also, there was no air conditioning.

Location and view (on the lake, at least for our room) were the best points. The staff were all friendly and helpful.

The room was small and the shower rickety.

We had a little balcony with a bistro table. We had a view into a courtyard that we might have been able to use, but nobody mentioned it. The breakfast room overlooking the lake was lovely and the breakfast was ample and served very nicely.

• Triple Room with Lake View

The property is in a great location , very close to the centre of Stresa , across the road from the ferry wharf. It's an older hotel however all the facilities are good , and I would suggest a lake view room when booking. We had a lake view room that was lovely with a small balcony. The breakfast had a nice variety of food , cereals, yogurts, fruit ,bread and pastries .

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

• Junior Suite with Lake View

Had to run the water in the shower for a while before it got hot. Decor a bit out dated. But definitely great value for money. Would come back here again.

Very welcoming and friendly staff. Made you feel at home. We stayed in the junior sweet. Loved sitting out on our balcony each day and watching the boats. Nice restaurants in the town square and next door. All in all had a lovely stay.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

• Double Room with Lake View

We are used to three and four star hotels , so we had to keep reminding ourselves that we had chosen this hotel for its central location and value for money. However a few things irritated us: Signage: interchanging Simplon and Sempione can be confusing for foreigners and make the hotel difficult to identify. No hot food for breakfast. No tea-making facility in the room No fire escape! Clashing colours of pink in the bedroom décor. The astonishingly poor quality of the paintings on the walls.

The property is located in the heart of Stresa and just a stone's throw from the boat landing stage. It is convenient for a choice of shops, restaurants and bars. It is a small hotel with personal service where the staff treat you as individuals. It is good value for money. Good, well-equipped bathroom.

The smell of drainage in the bathroom.

A small hotel with a nice retro touch. Basic, but very clean. Perfect location. Good breakfast (but - strange coffee and cappuccino taste :-) ) Very positive and attentive personal. We had a problem with the shower, and it was fixed even before we had said something. Thank you for a nice time in Stresa!

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

• Double Room with Lake View

The hairdryer. It is basically a plastic tube attached to the wall blowing warm air! Interesting.

This hotel is in a great position. The staff are very courteous and helpful. The decor is a little tired but the bed and pillows are super comfortable.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

• Double Room with Lake View

Personnel can barely speak English, WiFi is a problem. Breakfast was not sufficient, room was old fashioned. It has 12 lake view rooms. 3 of them in the first floor and does not have a balcony. The others are on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floor and has a balcony. The rates are same. When booking even though I said I wanted one of the upper floor rooms. They put us on the first floor.

Nothing special...

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

Rooms need modernising and beds need replacing.

Staff very helpful and friendly. Breakfast room has stunning views across the lake - get up early to get best table; worth the effort

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

• Triple Room with Lake View

It would be nice to be able to control the heating in the room. The shower controls wnd hot and cold water mixer could be more easily controlled.

Waking up to a fantastic lake view every morning. Nice breakfast selection what you would expect in a two star. Bedroom Ccleanded and beds made everyday and the bed was really comfortable.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

• Quadruple Room with Lake View

Old, smelly, dusty, full of mosquitos and bugs. Pillows filled with wood. Wifi works in corridor only. Wanted to cancel second night, staff did not agree. We left anyway. Normally I do not complain. But this place is total crap.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

TV was poor, could be better. Decor could be improved. Breakfast needs to include fresh fruit and better cereals. Boiled eggs could be made available especially as there are no cooked eggs.

bed extra comfy,

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

• Double Room with Lake View

The decor was a bit drab, in need of updating but this was compensated by the great location.

The room had a comfy big bed, spotless linen and towels and we had maid service every day. The little balcony with beautiful lake view where we could sit with a nice glass of wine was an added bonus Staff were very friendly and helpful . Even though we had a front facing room, there was little noise.

• Junior Suite with Lake View

The hot water is unstable.

Good view from balcony. Near city center and pier so it's easy to get restaurants, shopping, and take a boat to the 3 islands.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

• Double Room with Lake View

some of the fittings and furnishing are a bit tired, but not the most expensive of hotels so might be expected.

booked for the lake view, which was superb. staff friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

Soundproofing could be better.

The location and price can't be beat! Right on the lakefront! Both our rooms had a great lake view and balcony. Good breakfast, very pleasant staff. We had to swap rooms after booking due to adding a 4th person to our party and the communications with the hotel to arrange this were very clear and prompt. Room 1 (double bed room, floor 2) was very comfy, room 2 (2 twins, 3rd floor) seemed to have somewhat thin walls. My Mom and our friend were kept awake the 2nd night by several "very happy couples" in nearby rooms. Earplugs may be needed here... Decor is a bit dated, but also funky and artsy. I liked it and would return!

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

This hotel is about 15mins walk from train station and just across the road from ferries. Ideal base for touring the area. Breakfast good for Italy; great coffee, croissants, bread, fruit, cheese and ham. Rooms were clean. Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

• Double Room with Lake View

Parking before 20 hrs.difficult, after that parking was free in public space down the road. Did not feel unsafe.

Perfect location right on the beach, lovely breakfast, room adequate and comfortable. Cute restaurants and bars all along the waterfront. Fun evening.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

• Double Room with Lake View

The juice at the breakfast bar was super sweet and we would recommend not drinking it straight. We also had the misfortune of both ourselves and the staff forgetting about our passport that was on file, so remember to ask for it when you leave to save the hassles we had on our trip.

The view of the lake was great and although the place was quite old, it had a bit of charm to it and was fairly well looked after. The breakfast was pretty good, but like most Italian breakfasts, it is a sweet breakfast with cakes and croissants etc.

• Reviewed: 12 September 2016

Nothing to dislike. Its not the newest of hotels but good value nonetheless.

Great location right by the lakeside and ferry port, just near to the piazza with restaurants and shops. Clean, with wifi, friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 10 September 2016

• Triple Room with Lake View

awful decor exactly the same breckfast for seven days,bad control on shower.i did not get a balcony room as requested and paid the price for.

location,staff

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

• Double Room with Lake View

No tea making facilities in room. Plastic glasses.

The view from balcony was magnificent. Hotel very well placed for ferry and shops. Old but charming and with an elevator - important.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Triple Room with Lake View

The hotel has an excellent location, right in front of the lake. The breakfast was diversified and very tasty. A delighted cappuccino was made by the young waiter. The receptionist (with long hair) was very nice and helpful.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

• Quadruple Room with Lake View

Dated decor, no air conditioning, basic facilities but excellent value for money.

Excellent location, friendly staff, lovely views of the lake. If you have realistic expectations you will be happy. Excellent continental breakfast.

• Reviewed: 5 August 2016

This hotel is well located almost opposite the ferry/boat terminal. It is also very close to the centre of the town and it is a reasonable walk to the railway station (15-20 mins). Our room had a Juliet balcony which was pleasant to sit on in the evening despite overlooking other people's backyards. It is good value for money and quite comfortable. There is a lift so no carrying of suitcases up stairs. Breakfast is served in a light airy room which overlooks the road and lake. This makes breakfast there a must. There is also a range of breakfast food made available. The staff try very hard to be helpful.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Double Room with Lake View

The only real negative was that there is no air conditioning though a fan was provided - of course, this is reflected in the relatively modest pricing of the rooms.

I booked on very short notice - the same day in fact - on one of the busiest weekends on the summer, and was happy to find a room, particularly at such a good location in the centre of Stresa and facing the lake. The bathroom was large and well equipped.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

Hotel old and smelly and in urgent need of refurbishing-Rooms old and dangerous-Bathrooms in an unacceptable state-Safety of clients non existent-Breakfast room too hot for one to consume food in as it is a glass house-Food safety non existent and food quality poor

The view from the front door.

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

This was a nice small hotel at the south end of the promenade, next to a nice restaurant. It was probably a 15-20 minute walk from the train station. When I got there the room I was originally booked into wasn't available for some reason so for the first night I was in a larger, double room with a view of the lake. The second night I was in a smaller room that faced a courtyard and it had a small balcony with a table and chair. Breakfast, which was included in the price, was served in a lovely room with views of the lake and the breakfast was very nice with cereal, meat, cheese, fruit and several types of pastries. Because I was leaving very early Saturday morning, the hotel manager arranged for a bag breakfast to take with me that was waiting at the reception desk that morning. I thought the staff was very accommodating.

• Double Room with Lake View

The building very old, needs renovation..

The balcony of the room

• Double Room with Lake View

Walls too thin Shower needs work

Perfect location.