Reviews of Hotel Alexander 3 stars

Corso Giuseppe Garibaldi 123, 18038 Sanremo, Italy

#7 of 40 hotels in Sanremo

One of the best hotels.

Nothing - all good.

Huge room, comfortable bed, very quiet. We had a free drink on arrival, AND a bottle of prosecco to celebrate! Breakfast in the garden was a real pleasure to start the day. One of the best hotels I have been in, much better value than other more expensive hotels I have stayed in.

The hotel is supergood value, with a wonderful garden, where...
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

The hotel is supergood value, with a wonderful garden, where they served a welcome drink and a very good breakfast. And it is located close to both the station, beach and old town.

Excellent location staff were amazing especially the girls...
    • Double or Twin Room

Bathroom and beds too small beds really uncomfortable

Excellent location staff were amazing especially the girls parking the car for us as my husband was not familiar with the rental he was driving they certainly knew how

Very good location - close to the center and to the sea;

We had to change the room because the first one was exactly facing the garden (on the 1st floor) where other hotel guests were sitting until late night and the kid couldnt fall asleep. The second was also on the 1st floor, wasnt facing the garden, but actually there was no window - the one which was also the door to "the common balcony/ path" where people were passing by. The window from the bathroom was directly facing the parking - some people were smoking just into it while chatting on the parking. No dryer for swimsuits.

Very good location - close to the center and to the sea; free bikes to rent; comfortable beds - which is very important when you're on holidays; great garden with a small playground for kids; very helpful staff; nice surprises from the hotel every day :)

Rooms need updating
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

The room was very small, bed was so uncomfortable rooms really needed updating. no fan in the bathroom.

Staff were friendly, knowledgeable, and efficient. Nice breakfast in the morning which included scrambled eggs which we had in the garden. Good location.

The best hotel in Sanremo!
    • Double or Twin Room

Hotel Alexander is the best place to stay when you are in Sanremo. The staff is very, very nice and helpful, the garden is amazing and relaxing! Excellent location and ratio price/ quality! Thank you Hotel Alexander! For sure, we will come back!

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Everything is very good!

Everything was good

Everything is very good! This was my second stay in this hotel. Rooms are big and quite, breakfast is served in the yard and it is various and with hot scrambled eggs, free new bicycles, 5 min walk from the old city and close to the beach. Thanks to the hotel staff - ladies are always nice and ready to help! Welcoming drink is nice addition))

We liked a lot the hotel.

We liked a lot the hotel. Rooms very comfortable, clean. They have a green and beautiful garden where you can have breakfast, read a book or drink a glass of wine. We appreciated very much the staff. By the way, our daughter lost our camera in the garden. They thought of us not to worry, so they contact Booking to inform us that our camera is at the hotel. Nice fruits store near by the hotel. Also, a great bistro with local and fresh food.

not to be repeated. not to be advised
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

teh room was below the street level!!! an underground floor that was never mentioned on the site.

the staff is composed of young students who did their best to welcome us and be up to the standards.

An excellent hotel, complimented by lovely staff.
    • Double or Twin Room

Just a slight gripe, check out time is pretty early at 10 am which I think is a bit mean. You are not getting your full day really. However they let me check out at 11 am and leave my case behind reception. I was not ready to leave Sanremo. I could have bought another days stay but it meant moving rooms, so that's my only (very slight) negative.

The hotel is excellent. Absolutely spotless room and bathroom, well serviced. Charming team, young girls serve with a sunny smile. Coffee was excellent, the garden is one of the reasons the hotel looks so good, it's convenient for everywhere and a short walk to the railway station. I didn't have breakfast though it was included for me, but I'm not a breakfast person, other reviews are very positive about taking breakfast in the garden. The security aspect was well explained to me about accessing the hotel after 11 pm, though I am not a night owl. I shall return.

Breakfast was nice surprise - bread, cheese, eggs, ham,...
    • Quadruple Room

Breakfast was nice surprise - bread, cheese, eggs, ham, croissants, cakes, youghurt, cerials! Room was ok and tidy, hotel was cosy and peacful and in very good location. Strong suggestion!

• Double or Twin Room - Annex

Sound proofing to neighbouring bathroom not so good.

Location. Friendly, helpful staff. Welcome drink appreciated! Good breakfast choice on outdoor area. Secure parking by prior arrangement. Recommended.

The staff was superb, extremely accommodating and friendly.
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

Mini fridge did not work in room and was never fixed.

The staff was superb, extremely accommodating and friendly. The facilities were clean but the room needs a bit of an update.

Depressing
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

Room was really depresing. Yelow’ish, diety walls and dirty shower. Holes in towels and nad very uncomfi. and the brekfast was really poor too.

Staff is nice

Great place for a long weekend with friends.

Serving breakfast in the garden would have been phantastic (and not in the no-window breakfast room)

Great place for a long weekend with friends. We also used the free bicycles for a day trip along the coast; very recommendable. Also very friendly and flexible staff (we arrived late the first night)

Amazing
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

This was my first trip to Sanremo and I had little or no expectations at all but to my surprise it turned out perfect. My stay here can be rated satisfactory as the hotel had a comfortable bed in an exquisitely furnished room. I equally had nice breakfasts on both days with my wife and a great wifi. The service was excellent as the staffs were really eager to assist.

Felt cheated
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

Was given a room outside the main building, very small, said B&B in the door (this was supposed to be 3 star hotel) very sketchy. Windows didn’t have curtains. Breakfast was awful, stale bread, machine coffee (in Italy!) croissants were replaced 1 by 1 (!)

Quite simple, but rather pleasant and worth the cost.
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

Thé location is perfect, the stuff is VERY pleasant, we specially appreciated the parking ( it is definitely worth to pay 10 euro and have a place there)

Lovely central family run Hotel
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

Wasn’t a particularly nice view from the annex room. Recommend asking for a higher floor if your in the annex

Freindly welcome. Excellent central location, in a lovely villa with well kept grounds. Good shower and comfortable bed, the best part is the lovely staff - they all have a big smile!

The room was noisy, I coudl her noise from upstairs and...
    • Double or Twin Room

The room was noisy, I coudl her noise from upstairs and nearby rooms. Moreover, the smoke from outside was most of the time disturbing when leavign the window open.

Good location.

Beds are so unconfortable. The heater was on only for some minutes during the night and the morning and they coulndn't change it as was pre-programmed for the entire hotel. Completely unacceptable. The only way to have the room at "acceptable" temperatures was to turn on the air condition in heating mode and sleep with all the wind in your face. Otherwise you would just freeze. The breakfast is not good, as coffee was made from capsules (unacceptable in italy) and the variation of food was scarse and not so good.

The staff was EXTREMELY nice, always helpful with a nice smile solving all our probles all the time. The location was so good, a brief 5 minutes walk away from almost everything. They gave us a nice welcome drink + a small surprise with Spumante that we found in our room. Nice garden with many things to play with children.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay nevertheless and will come again. Sanremo is a fantastic/clean city
    • Double or Twin Room

We missed our tea. We would have liked to have a kettle, cups and tea/milk in the bedroom so we could have a cup of tea in bed !

As a visiting English couple, we were offered scrambled eggs for breakfast, which was very good we thought... we were also very happy with the complimentary glasses of wine and also the Prosceco!!

Great experience and would recommend
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

The staff were very helpful - great breakfast and safe and secure car parking for 10€. Fabulous Italian restaurant right opposite the hotel and very reasonable too.

Exterior does not reflect what you’ll find inside :(
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

The interiors were shady and really not very nice, in particular the rooms looked very shabby. Decor was quite hideous. When we checked out their credit card reader did not work and the manager refused to take the information manually so they made us go look for an ATM to pay for our whole stay even though we were in a hurry.

Very nice building and garden but we visited in the winter and could not enjoy it. Receptionist was very nice and offered us a welcome drink but there was nowhere to have it minimally nice except outside, where it was freezing.

In spite of heating problems ok.
    • Double or Twin Room

The radiator was not on in the evening and in the night - in November - and we had to keep the aircondition on through the night. In the night and morning I had problems because I am allergic - and the aircondition accuses alot of dust in the air. In booking.com thefre is said that the hotel has heatingsystem + aircondition. Why the hotel does not give what they promise? Italian way to serve customers?

There were no croissants.

Room was in adjacent building (despite info on Booking.
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

Room was in adjacent building (despite info on Booking.com that would be in the main building). It did not have any curtains; with bright street light outsight. Not very helpfulnfornabgood night sleep.

Great location, lovely staff, good value for money if you include the free bikes in your stay!
    • Quadruple Room

The room was right at the back of the building looking on to an alley with bins and the laundry of the apartment opposite and the car park, so didn't really open the shutters! However not that important as we really only were in the room to sleep.

This hotel was really well located. They had a lovely garden/terrace and very handy to have bikes available for free which makes the overall price good value for money. The staff were lovely. The family room had enough space for the four of us and was comfortable and clean. Freshly made scrambled egg offered for breakfast.

Lots of perks and a great price!
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

The staff were very friendly and helped us find a great meal. The value was very high: a varied continental breakfast, free bicycle rental and a bottle of sparkling wine all free.

Excellent service, very friendly and helping staff and...

Excellent service, very friendly and helping staff and central location. Everything has been done to accommodate the needs and requests of the customers. When my daughter had a health problem, Alexander arranged a pediatrician to come to the hotel asap. It was indeed very helpful and we all appreciate this and everything else very much! Thank you!

Nice staff and gardens, but the worst room I have ever stayed
    • Double or Twin Room

We got the worst room in the hotel, which has upset me. Room no.109 is right in front of reception, on the 1st floor - so you can hear not only people entering the hotel but even the phone calls at the reception. In the room, the shower and toilet are situated next to the window with the metal bars for your safety, so obviuosly you don't have the luxury views that are advertised in the pictures of the hotel. A bit of a prison feel, as the bedroom is always dark. If you are young and want a little KIKI, it has to be quiet then, because everyone entering the hotel would hear you. I would say, this room is more suitable for staff than a guest. For 3 nights we have paid nearly €500 and got the worst room. That makes me angry. Plus, don't believe Booking.com, even you are a Genius traveller, that does not give you any advantage, very dissapointing, Booking.com.

The hotel's location is great: close to the beach, shopping and restaurant area. It has a nice garden, where breakfast was served. Staff is friendly and hapilly will go an extra mile.

Fantastic hotel with wonderful staff
    • Quadruple Room

Nothing really , all was good

The staff were so friendly, helpful and very attentive , many little touches made us feel special. A lovely historic building with so much character , close to beach , centre and shops.

had an issue with the key, i accidentally took the key with...
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

had an issue with the key, i accidentally took the key with me when i left, to put it in context, they forgot to ask me for it when i checked out, then to add on top, i sat outside their reception for over an hour after and they didnt come get it from me. Anyhow the issue is i did not have data on my phone and was relying on wifi so when i finally got back to my home some 10 hours later, it was late and i did not check my messages, in the morning i messaged them to ask for an address to send the key to as they had messaged me multiple times for the return of it. next thing i heard from them later in the day was that they had taken 100 euros from my account, of which i gave no permission and second to that they had not responded to my request for an address. Im not sure how that is legal t o take money from someones account with out asking but they sure did. in the end the key got back to them, and i believe they returned the money, but it was so unnecessary and aggressive from them.

Nice hotel with very good value for money.
    • Quadruple Room

Nice small hotel with very nice garden, which in the morning is using for breakfast . Close to the center of the city. Staff very friendly and wants to help you at any moment.

Conveniently Located with On-Site Parking
    • Double or Twin Room

The hotel is showing its age a little and the rooms tend to be quite small. The bathroom is also small and the shower is basically a cupboard. As we only use the room as a place to sleep and shower, these aren't great inconveniences.

The staff are all friendly and helpful. The hotel is well situated within a 5-10 minute walk of the center of town. The included morning breakfast is tasty and convenient. The main reason why we choose this hotel when we travel to San Remo is that it has on-site parking available for our car.

Great location, friendly and helpful staff, loved it.
    • Double or Twin Room

Location great - in centre of San Remo yet wasn't disturbed by noise, as room away from the road. Staff very helpful and polite and spoke good English. Car locked in secure area - bit tight but staff park car for you. Really enjoyed the free bike hire - went for miles one afternoon. Only stayed for 2 nights, but received complimentary bottle of Prosecco from the management - a lovely touch. Breakfast in the garden was nice.

Beautiful hotel and brilliant staff!

Cant think of anything!

Breakfast in the garden, a welcome drink, the beautiful ambience and the FANTASTIC staff! On Friday evening on our way back from the restauraunt my husband stumbled and fell on the steps leading up from the street and grazing his knee quite badly. The staff on duty came to our rescue absolutely superbly providing first aid and a phone call to the Pharmacist for advice. Then cleaning and bandaging my husband. They were so kind! Yesterday morning after leaving the hotel for the train we arrived at the station to receive a telephone call from the staff to say I had left my rucksack in the foyer. I was horrified as it contained all our travel documents! Had they not phoned we would have been totally stranded! They were real stars! We would recommend this hotel to anyone!

Nice hotel in a nice city
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

As almost always in Italy the hotel televisions doesn´t feature any English speaking news program like CNN or BBC, it´s almost just italian game shows or sport which sometimes could be quite annoying. In this case they tried to connect me to another "satellite" connection. Fortunately most hotels have good wifi connections.

I had been recommended this hotel by a friend, so even if it was a little bit expensive I choosed it and I am quite happy with my stay. The garden breakfast buffet was perfect and all staff very helpful and friendly.

The genuinely kind and helpful staff.
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

The location and the garden are otherwise great but a bit noisy next to a busy street. Rooms have a bit outdated decor but does not really matter.

The genuinely kind and helpful staff. A welcome drink and the breakfast with various types of cheese, yoghurt, fruit, cakes etc. included in the price. Even scrambled eggs made on the spot. (In summer the breakfast is served in the garden.) Bikes available for free.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

• Double or Twin Room - Annex

The shower was tiny, the rest of the bathroom OK, but no heat in the bathroom. Breakfast was not impressive.

Great location and friendly staff. Good to have the opportunity to lend bicycles! We got a bottle of Prosecco on the house - that was a very nice surprise. We also enjoyed the garden.

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

Great hotel for location, staff, comfort and value
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

It would be nice to have a larger desk which was barely big enough for a laptop. It would also be nice to have a shelf in the shower for your own products besides the liquid soap dispenser provided.

I had a room in the annex which is very comfortable with nice, modern bathroom. The bathroom was spacious with modern fixtures and a towel warmer. For soap and shampoo, there are liquid soap dispensers that were kept full. There is a large wardrobe closet, night stands and a small desk. The wifi was fast and reliable although you have to sign in with a user id and password. The staff are very nice and helpful and speak good English. The breakfast was good with 2 kinds of meat, 2 kinds of cheeses, yogurt, fresh fruit and sweets. The location is great, a 8 minute walk from the train station and about the same to the main bus station and the beginning of old town and the water front. The casino is a 20 minute walk. Overall, a great place to stay and explore SanRemo and other towns around.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

Last night in Italy.

Not much.

Welcome drink upon arrival. Lovely room with a bath and shower. In centre of town close to beaches shops and restaurants. Hotel gets a discount at certain restaurants. Good breakfast. Very helpful staff which was proved by there being a rail shutdown due to maintainance and they very helpfully explained what would need to be done to get away from the town!

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

San Remo is a lovely, relaxing town and Hotel Alexander was an ideal location to stay
    • Double or Twin Room

A lot of old fashioned keys for entry to your hotel room door and if staying out late at night to gain entry through a gate and then hotel side door. Would be better if hotel could consider using keycard entry system.

Friendly and helpful staff, welcoming on arrival and when I left. Lovely hotel, excellent location near to shops, train station, Ariston Theatre and short walk to harbour and waterfront. On arrival I was also offered a complimentary drink and map of San Remo. There was also the option of free use of a bike, but my time in San Remo was only a couple of days, so sadly never found the time for the kind offer.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

Beautiful hotel in a very busy city.
    • Double or Twin Room

We did not care for San Remo. We would prefer a small village as the traffic was bad and the motorcycles maddening as we tried to make our way to the hotel.

The hotel was lovely but San Remo itself is too large and busy for our interests. Actually, the hotel was the best part of our stay. The staff is very nice and breakfast on the patio was delicious.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

Nice place
    • Double or Twin Room

The rooms are a bit outdated and the bed was a bit old. You could feel one of the springs sticking out. Considering the price, location and the great staff, we didn't think of these minor issues as a problem though.

The friendliest staff you can imagine. Good location, near main streets and restaurants. Nice garden in the front where breakfast is served.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

Recommended
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

The hotel is nice and authentic. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Location is close to the train station and not far from the town center and promenade, which is convenient. Hotel garden and kids playground are a big plus. Overall, a pleasant experience.

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

Super friendly staff
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

Our room in the ground level of the adjacent building was quite primitive and does not earn high scores

Super friendly service. Free bikes! Location was great and the general atmosphere of the place -including breakfast in garden - exceptional.

Hotel agreable
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

Position de l'hotel, proprete, personnel agreable.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

The location of the hotel, walking distance to train station.

The bed, the pillows

The location of the hotel, walking distance to train station. The breakfast also was very complete. Room size comfortable.

Staff were very friendly & helpful

Staff were very friendly & helpful

Good stay.Bad room.
    • Double or Twin Room

Had a very poor room at the back.Probably the worst value for money ever using Booking.com.

Breakfast in the garden was charming. As were the staff.

The staff were really friendly and helpful.
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

The room is bit too small.

The staff were really friendly and helpful. The room had airco.

Great location, clean rooms

Breakfast was small

Clean rooms, staff was willing to help and serve

I would love to come back
    • Quadruple Room

The staff was very nice and welcoming. It is a very relaxing place in center of town and close to the beach

Beautiful garden - serving breakfast and drinks in the...
    • Double or Twin Room

Beautiful garden - serving breakfast and drinks in the garden.

There’s no ventilation in the room

Everything was great, comfy beds, good breakfast, we had...
    • Quadruple Room

Everything was great, comfy beds, good breakfast, we had room 103 which has a big window that opens onto the garden. Fantastic!

Nice place, great location

nothing really

Authentic house, looks like a mansion! :) All is clean, friendly staff.

change of my room.
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

radiator heating was not on at the first night.. i had to use air conditioning which was loudy.. no kettle..

change of my room..

A great short stay - would stay there again

All good

Breakfast was great, and so nice to eat out in the garden. Bike availability was a real bonus, a good way to see the area

Friendly efficient staff

Friendly efficient staff

Hotel Alexandria
    • Quadruple Room

Air con struggled in family room.

Very central location. Really friendly and helpful staff. Free bikes great to explore

Honeymoon couple
    • Double or Twin Room

Staff were great , room and bathroom well serviced clean and tidy Breakfast nice A/C great

Reasonable hotel with shades of faded glory.
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

Parking arrangements and, on the face of it, excessive security.

Breakfast in the garden

Great staff.
    • Quadruple Room

Great staff. The owner was very friendly. The location is central and the breakfast was great. Like getting a free drink on check in.

A private place you want to return to -

L

Scrambled egg , fruit - the garden

excellent location and super helpful staff
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

what is there not to like

excellent location and super helpful staff

Good hotel and location

Car parking was tight

Very friendly staff, a good hotel and facilities close to the centre, clean and tidy

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

You won't regret staying there
    • Double or Twin Room

Beds were really bad, and short!

Staff were amazingly friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

Alexander.. Perfetto
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

Parking payant et prix du mini bar.....

Personnel, situation, confort, wifi

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

Excellent location and value for money.
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

Excellent location and value for money.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

Super location and good price!

Bathroom was to cold

Super location and good price!Luca who work at front desk was super kind and helpfull

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Perfect for visiting the Market
    • Double or Twin Room

Unexpected Welcome drink.. and a drink of one's choice. And car parking so close to the centre.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

Friendly hotel

Very friendly staff, who speak several languages, always ready to help out.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

Superb hotel
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

Fabulous hotel, fabulous staff, extremely helpful.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

The staff and The location.
    • Double or Twin Room - Annex

The staff and The location.