Reviews of Hotel Amalfi 3 stars

Via Merulana 278, Rione Monti, 00185 Rome, Italy

#115 of 921 hotels in Rome

Memorable stay for one week

Nothing to dislike at all.

Great location close to the train station and Colosseum. Friendly and helpful staff. Very comfortable bed in a smallish but clean room. Wide choice of shops and restaurants in the immediate area. Interesting street view from the window.

Ideal mid-priced hotel for a couple of night in Rome.

Very friendly staff, good breakfast, the rooms are smaller than average but nice. It's a older building, but that means it has a bit of character. The location is great. It was slightly better than we expected overall.

Breakfast was great. Staff were very friendly and helpful, and location was perfect.

Great location, 15 min walk from the Colosseum, and our room had a beautiful street view with the Basillica visible just up the road. The breakfast was fantastic with lots of coffee, and multiple options from croissants, French baguettes, cheese, meat, cereal and fruit. We were a family with young kids and our 3 bedroom room worked well.

Amazing

The location is perfect its close to the colosseum, trevi fountain and also the train station. Staff were very helpful, Anthony helped us to choose a very delicious italian restaurant nesr the property.

Quaint Hotel. Good value for money.
    • Economy Single Room

Rooms are small, but functional.

This is a very quaint hotel 100 m from Basilica Papale di Santa Maria Maggiore and 20 min walk to Roman Colosseum and Forum. Taxi rank close by.

Good Location, still not value for money

Water heater was not working on Day 1. However they fixed it on Day 2 but it's an inconvenience Room size is quite small. Toiletries provided was too basic (handwash and bodywash) both of very poor quality

Location is good. Internet speed is good and staff behaviour was also good. Breakfast is decent

Some traffic noise from the front street. Some building renovation noise (hammering, jack-hammering) neighbouring building wall behind the bed.

Staff were welcoming, friendly and helpful. We arrived to Rome early as the hotel’s breakfast was finishing and we were treated to a complimentary cappuccino. We were able to leave our bags to walk the city which was great. This is a cute boutique hotel with charm. The spotless room and bathroom both small, not much room for suitcases. It is a short walk to train station, bus, tram, supermarket, restaurants and cafes. About 15 mins walk to Colosseum. Great having a lift although tiny. Wi-Fi was mostly good. Breakfast was very good with great gluten free options which were better than most 5 star hotels. All day croissants available in reception was a lovely idea.

Good location, weird staff
    • Economy Single Room

The staff who took the night shift on May 19 may be a bit intimidating. Returning the key to the reception every time going out is also quite annoying. The receptionist that afternoon was having a killer sunshine smile though. He helped a lot with my travel plan.

The location is perfect. It gives access to both the transport hub and major tourist spots.

Cramped!

The room was too small. The bathroom was too small, I had to put one foot in the shower so I could sit on the toilet. The sink and shower didn't drain properly.

The breakfast was good.

Left Italy with my thankful heart!
    • Economy Single Room

Without the help of the Hotel Manager, we could not complete our journey covered from Rome to South Italy smoothly. He had offered us left luggage in advance for few days while we were so helpless! Thanks so much again! This is really a Classy Hotel!

Great value for money, recommended

Great value for money. Whilst the hotel is a little dated, the large room, friendly staff, great location, reasonable price and decent breakfast more than made up for it. Would recommend.

Very good small hotel near the main train station in Rome.

Very good small hotel near the main train station in Rome. The staff at the reception was very helpful and kind. They are happy to give information and recommend places in Rome. On the last day I checked out and left the bags at the reception. In the end of the day when I came back to pick up the luggage the receptionist gave me my iPad I forgot in the room. I definitely recommend this hotel for who is looking for an economic option near Roma Termini station.

Staffs are great, helpful and accommodating! Hotel is in the center of the city,

The staffs are very accommodating and helpful particularly Cosimo and Antonio who really made our Rome vacation a memorable one. They helped us in getting the tickets for the Palm Sunday Mass which can only be arranged inside Rome. With their help, we were successful to attend te Palm Sunday mass that was officiated by the Pope. The information they give us are accurate, helpful that made our Rome vacation worthwhile.

Fantastico!!! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    • Economy Single Room

Maybe more variety of breakfast selection but I really didn’t mind coz the coffee was good. ;)

Mainly the staff!! They were all very very nice and accomodating! :) The place was very cozy as well, just how I like it and it’s clean! Will definitely come back! ;) - 103

Great. Would highly recommend this hotel.

Room temperature was a bit too high and couldn't be adjusted.Street noise could be of some inconvenience for light sleeper.

Early check in was possible. Greeted by friendly staff. Hotel within walking distance from Termini station.

Enjoyable stay at reasonably priced central hotel Would recommend to others and would definitely sta

Smallish eating area got very busy at peak breakfast time (8.30-9.00).

Good location, friendly staff, clean and comfortable rooms. Enjoyable selection of food for breakfast.

Nice hotel and good location with kind staff

walls are very thin and you can hear / be heard very easy by other persons from lobby and this can be a little disturbing by cleaning ladies for those who likes to sleep a little bit more in the morning

well organised and very kind staff

Lovely staff, good location and exquisite hotel
    • Economy Single Room

The soundproof can be improved. The heater was loud and turned off automatically in the midnight, leaving me cold and shivering with a thin blanket. Breakfast coffee from the self-serving machine tasted way below the average quality of Italian coffee. I wondered if they provided fresh espresso or cappuccino at the bar as many other hotels did?

It was the last stop of me visiting Italy and the staff was the nicest among all hotels. Although I checked in in the late evening, the clerk still patiently provided me a quick tour on the map and friendly offered me a croissant. The room was neat and I liked the elegant painting on the ceiling.

Nothing to complain about!

Great Location. Close to restaurants and 5 min walk to Termini Station and also 10 min walk to the Colosseum. The hotel staff were very helpful and speaks English. We left very early to catch a train to Naples and they packed us Breakfast to go. Awesome customer service and the room is very clean. My wife and I will stay again and would highly recommend it to my friends.

The friendly Staff, the location, that it was spotless, the...

Nothing not to like. If I were to be really pedantic I would say that the temperature was difficult to regulate in the shower.

The friendly Staff, the location, that it was spotless, the tasty breakfast, the ‘proper’ 3rd bed for our son.

Incredible! :) Highly recomend!

Absolutely incredible! The hotel is in a perfect location. The staff was so friendly. The hotel it has the Roman charm. The room was very clean. We are delighted to highly recommend hotel Amalfi. :)

Exellent 3 stars hotel in the heart of Rome!
    • Economy Single Room

I enjoyed everything there was no problem. It has a very good price/value!

First and best: close to everything! Very easy to find from Termini. And it is really in heart of Rome! All the staff was very friendly, rooms are like on the pics. I had the cutest room for one I think (420) :) I will come back if I travell to Rome again! (ooo and the breakfast was delacious!)

Excellent stay will recommend the places for easy convenience
    • Economy Single Room

The room was small and wish it had more space but for 1 night it was perfect, there were no negatives really

The room was clean and very quiet. I was greeted with a smile and the hotel is in a prime location. The check in was prompt and the car to the airport was booked with no issues. Very happy 😊

Could not fault the Hotel, staff were extremely welcoming and helpful.

Lovely breakfast, scrambled egg and bacon available as well as continental. The lady who does breakfast was absolutely charming and nothing was too much trouble for her

excellent value, central location and terrific staff
    • Economy Single Room

I stayed a week and my room was tended to every day however the area around the sink was never cleaned and the same hair remained the entire visit.

The staff were always there to assist and help with any issues be they hotel related or simply directions and how to get around. Excellent professional treatment by staff.When you stay here you know the staff is there 24/7 for you.

Wonderful

No negatives or disappointments. We booked for two nights ans liked it so well we stayed a few more!

Breakfast food was great, staff very helpful, room clean, convenient location, walked to Vatican and all the attractions . Definitely recommend it to others and stay there again when we are in Rome.

Great location, good price, nice people!

Perhaps they should offer breakfast until at least 10. The room where they serve breakfast is rather small and some morning was too crowded, but the staff was extremely friendly and helpful.

The location is extremely convenient, the hotel is small but very cozy. The personnel is extremely friendly and helpful. A old fashion hotel, but very nice!

Nice small quiet hotel.

We did ask for the air conditioning to be turned on as the room was small and stuffy, the hotel did say they would switch it on but did not. The wifi was a bit patchy but sufficient for our needs.

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful and offered advice and assistance when needed, the breakfast was excellent quality with a reasonable variety on offer. The rooms were very clean with housekeeping services daily. the rooms however were a little on the small size with an even smaller bathroom but were adequate for the time spent in them. It was a good powerful shower although the shower cubicle was very small. Hotel great location to get to all the tourist sights in Rome.

It was a very nice stay. I would stay there again but book a bigger room.

The pillows could be better and the blanket could be a duvet instead of using the bedcover over a sheet.

Loved the owner Cossimo and his son Francesco. Always smiling and pleasant. Very accommodating.

Traditional Italian hospitality, charming stay in a central location

Charming, old-school Italian style. Exceptionally clean, small and simple rooms. Tastefully decorated with old fashioned service. Great location, decent breakfast served in sweet little dining room. Good value for couples or a solo traveler

Two weeks ago we stayed in Roma in this hotel.

Two weeks ago we stayed in Roma in this hotel. We chose this hotel because of its location: the proximity to the train station was important. But it is also close to the Colosseo, and if you like to walk, you can also go to Trevi and Spagna. The furniture at the room is nice and comfortable, kettle, minibar, bathroom is good. The hotel is keeping clean. We have read that there is one Russian woman among staff, it is good for Russian tourists, but we did not even look for her, because ALL THE STAFF WAS EXCELLENT and we did not need that! OH MY GOD! When we arrived, nice aged man (what's a pity that I did not ask his name, and what's a pity that we did not meet when we check-out, because we have bought a gift for his kindness but he was absent when we left the hotel) --- he immediately said that we can leave our luggage, if we will check-out earlier then our train departures, he gave us a map and many touristic advices and nice small-talk after hard day, he said that reception staff can help us with a taxi, and, finally, he help us with our "night smoking problem" haha. Other staff was kind and helpful too, they really can help you with a taxi, luggage, everything! AMAZING! I strongly recommend this hotel and we say GREAT THANKS to staff!

Value for Money in a great location. Charming hotel with wonderful staff.

The Staff were incredibly friendly and very welcoming. Nothing seems to be too much trouble for them. The location of this charming little hotel was great and a small walking distance to attractions. The breakfast room was very quaint and served a full american breakfast. Definitely would stay here again.

I love Rome, and every time I leave it is difficult.

I love Rome, and every time I leave it is difficult. The hotel make it worst: they were always kind and friendly. they thaught us how to speek a few words in italian, always helping us to tourist around. Natalia, the room made, was so cute. One day I had just arrived from the hot streets of Rome and few minuts after I got in my room she came up with a bowl full of fruits. In my last day they gave me a postcard of Rome for me to remember. I will come back Rome and to th Amalfi hotel, I just hope it to be soon: I miss it already.

Great location and comfortable stay
    • Economy Single Room

Great little hotel close to train station. Walking distance to lots of restaurants and cafes. Very friendly and accommodating staff. I booked the room for only one night as I was in transit, but had a great experience. I booked the single room and was surprised to find a small patio outside with a table to enjoy.

Really liked that the hotel was small and the staff made it feel familial. Good location, too.

The bathroom is so tiny, you have to put your feet in the shower if you're on the toilet! There didn't seem to be a thermostat in the room. Luckily, there were extra blankets. But the pillows were all super flat, so not very comfortable. Found this to be true for another hotel we stayed in in Rome, so perhaps this is just what pillows are like there...? Found it a bit odd that the staff offered a wifi hotspot for 5 euros a day, but didn't think to have it charged up so we could take it in the morning. We were told it would have been charged if we'd told them yesterday we would want it.

The staff was very friendly, like family. The lovely woman who ran the breakfast room bent over backwards to ensure your experience was pleasant, even stopping to teach us how to make roses from paper napkins. The front desk staff provided good suggestions for places to eat that were delicious and reasonably priced, and good directions to our destinations.

Staff was SUPER nice and friendly and just overall an A+- I...

Rooms could have been a bit bigger!

Staff was SUPER nice and friendly and just overall an A+- I liked the location- felt a bit less congested and the prices were lower in the area- lots of reasonable restaurants etc

Quiet hotel

All the staff is nice and helpful. They also stored my luggage for 6-7 hours after my checkout (free of charge!). The hotel is located very close to the city center. Great choice if you're looking for a quiet place, it's perfect for couples. Avoid it if you're party people.

Rome - atmosphere, value and location.

We can't think of anything.

Brilliant location - handy to train and bus stations but far enough away from sleazy streets. Church and square of Maria Maggiore are beautiful. Good security in the area. Lots of bars, cafes and restaurants. Lots of taxis around. Very happy with our stay there - very good value for 3 stars and roman style decoration. Good varied food at breakfast for 5 Euro.

Good Location / Pleasant Staff

Room itself had no view (top floor, next to the elevator door) and was possibly in-need of a little TLC - not a major issue as Rome itself has so much to offer that time spent at the hotel room was minimal. Breakfast was extremely limited and wasn't re-stocked on a couple of the days we visited so choice was even less if you didn't get there early ......

Location was excellent, only 5 minutes walk from Termini and 15-20 mins walk from most of the major sights. Hotel staff were polite, approachable and friendly. Hotel itself was quaint/charming in a nice sort of way. Would revisit if returning to Rome.

Great Hotel

The staff was very friendly. Room was VERY clean. They offer pizza to be delivered which was convenient. Near some good restaurants and a major sightseeing location (next to hop-on and hop-off tour bus stop) which is helpful. Very small room if you have big luggage but manageable. Would stay again

Great hotel, brilliant staff and service. Would highly recommend

Everything was perfect

The staff were exceptional, going above and beyond what you would expect. The younger guy at reception was especially good. Very helpful, an asset to the hotel

The Hotel was in a great location, close to restaurants,...

We liked it all

The Hotel was in a great location, close to restaurants, termini and sightseeing. The staff were very kind and helpful. The breakfast fir 5 euro was excellent value with a lovely selection of food.

A great location

The breakfast was cheap at €5 each, but the coffee machine did not provide the best cappuccino or espresso. We tried this for the first morning but preferred to eat out for breakfast. There was a small area to sit near the reception, but there was no bar area as such. We did not find this a problem really, because there were plenty of bars in the street.

Very convenient location. Fairly close to the train station and bus stops. Quite close to the Colloseum and within sight of Basilica Santa Maria Maggiore. The room was comfortable with a good ensuite bathroom. Lovely clean towels and toiletries. Tea and coffee making facilities were basic, but the staff were very helpful and gave us a jug of milk. There was a minibar in the room. The staff provide plenty of information literature and were very helpful and friendly.

Perfect place for a vacation in Rome

Recommended! Excellent hotel in convenient location. Pleasant stay and great vacation. Special thanks to staff for being spirit of the place, readiness to help, kindness and good humor :) p.s. Added a picture of a view we had from a room window. Church bells on Sunday morning ware magnificent.

It was good

Room is a bit tight.

I liked the help that I received from Antonio at the reception, he is a very helpful and nice guy. Internet was available at the room.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

Excellent choice!

Booked based on the reviews. It proved an excellent choice. Walking distance from the main bus/train station (easy commute from the airport and a nice venue for drinks and dinner) and close to main touristic attractions. ALL staff very friendly, clean room and extras ( daily UK news , satellite tv etc ) happy to stay there again .

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

Excellent location and very welcoming staff, good breakfast.

Shower/bath in our room was almost impossible to use due to low water pressure. Floor was very cold. Bad sound isolation between rooms.

Excellent location and very welcoming staff, good breakfast.

Little gem in the heart of the city

Excellent location, near to Termini Train Station and bus station. About 30 mins from the airport by taxi. Superb range of restaurants and cafes all within easy reach. Staff very friendly. Rooms spotlessly clean, towels and bedding immaculate.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

Great value hotel near Termini Station
    • Economy Single Room

Decor was a little dated.

The room was extremely comfortable and even had a small balcony. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The value for money couldn't be better.

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

Became part if the family

Everything was cool

Best staff ever from the cleaning lady to the lady in the Restuarant to management . Super friendly helpful and passionate about their jobs.

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

great accomodation

Nothing related to the hotel.

Great friendly hospitality with great location. I definitely recommend this place with its location. Breakfast was more than enough, clean room and they also clean it everyday. Thank you so much!

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

They make you feel at home.
    • Economy Single Room

I got sick and admitted to hospital while staying here, the staff were lovely in looking after me before and after my stay and I have since returned here after leaving hospital. As I did not have a booking for my return, they didn't have a spare room for 1 of the nights I needed to stay, but solved this by finding me a similar hotel nearby for overnight. As a solo female traveller with a newly diagnosed chronic illness, this was of immeasurable value to me and I can't thank them enough for their care. I have now stayed in 3 different rooms over 2 weeks and only 211 had the small bathroom others have complained of, which was a bit squishy but not too bad. My favourite room was 314 which has a good size bathroom and shower and full size double bed. The lady in the breakfast room is especially lovely, but all of the staff are friendly, caring and helpful and nothing is too much trouble for any of them. All of the staff speak English, some better than others, but there is no problem with being understood. The location is just far enough away from Termini to be safe and very close to lots of restaurants and everything else you want to see in Rome. I walked everywhere even while sick and felt safe at all times. They do all the normal hotel tours and services, including a lovely restaurant pizza or selections from the buffet breakfast delivered direct to your room, but its the people that make this place feel like home.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

The location is perfect, very close to Colosseo, Foro, Santa...

The room was clean, however the humidity was very high so will feel cold during the night and heating by air conditioning was not enough As well I need to mention that the booking was cancelled without any previous notice due to problem with the credit card so few dates before the trip had to book the hotel once again, the hotel should have sent the notice and request more information before canceling the reservation. Wi-Fi was poor

The location is perfect, very close to Colosseo, Foro, Santa Maria Maggiore as well as Central Station Termini. The staff was attentive, reception 24h. Clean room and good clearance service of the rooms.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Family hotel
    • Economy Single Room

The size of the toilets, too small for a guy with 1,86m high. The breakfast(few variety)

Large bed, the lady that works at the breakfast was so friendly and nice:)

• Reviewed: 24 November 2016

A VERY GOOD PLACE TO STAY

A very friendly and welcoming establishment. Centrally located, close to the Colosseum and main railway station. Rooms quite small, but well designed and furnished. An excellent breakfast. Good wi-fi. Many good restaurants close by. Overall, a very good place to stay for short-term visitors to Rome.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

If you want value for money - Amalfi

Staff very friendly and polite. Location was excellent - close to station, colosseum, trevi fountain etc. Breakfast was really good. Cleanliness excellent - towels changed every day!

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

Our savior!!

Couldn't be happier, we found Hotel Amalfi after checking into a horrible place. Our check in with hotel Amalfi was easy, pleasant and we really felt taken care of! The location was perfect, central to everything and a complimentary map made it even easier to settle into Rome!

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

Caroline's Special Trip

Very comfy, room quiet and great air con. Excellent staff and service, good quality breakfast and plenty of choice. Great location, handy for transport links and ideal for touring around the city. Bonus of good wifi in the hotel and free.

Excellent hotel

- we had to wait for a free table during breakfast

- Very friendly and helpful staff - clean room - early check in and late check out - brilliant location

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

A nice hotel, reasonably priced in a good location to visit Rome

Not much to dislike really

Staff friendly, rooms clean but relatively small. Breakfast was quite nice. Great location just by Santa Maria Maggiore and very near to the Colosseum.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

Ideal for solo travellers
    • Economy Single Room

Simple to find - an easy 5 mins walk from Roma Terminii station, ideal if arriving late and travelling alone.Excellent location, area felt very safe and a few minutes walk to a good variety of restaurants, bars and gelaterias - PLUS sublime view of Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore as you step outside the front door. Very helpful, cheerful staff. Room clean and tidy. Efficient air conditioning was invaluable in 30C+ temperatures. Ample, delicious breakfasts with a varied choice to suit all tastes.

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

It is absolutely a nice hotel, which is worthy of your every penny definitely.

I can not be satisfied more.

The location is very nice and the gate is on the main street. The major historic sites are within the walking distance. Next door located is a convient store, in which you can buy anything you want. The facilities in room are good, including bathroom, air-conditioner and ice-box. The staff are friendly and patient, giving warm-hearted help. metro station is about 2 or 3 blocks away. Although the hotel is near the train station, the security is good and no street crime occurs and pick-pockets, which is common in Rome, can not be found here.

Location, staff and ckeaniness.

The bathroom too small.

Location, staff and ckeaniness.

Really liked hotel would stay there again

Nil

Location friendly staff comfort value for money really like

Very good value for money with very good staff.

A very nice hotel with helpful and friendly staff. Very good value for money with a good breakfast. I recommend this hotel.

Nothing stands out.

Very small room/bathroom.

Nothing stands out.

Very well situated for most amenities, very clean with very...

The lift is small and slow

Very well situated for most amenities, very clean with very friendly approachable staff

Great breakfast

Great breakfast Lovely staff

Lovely accomodation with a fantastic view!

Lovely accomodation with a fantastic view! Will definitely visit again!

Comfortable, traditional, helpful and friendly.

Comfortable, traditional, helpful and friendly. Great location.

Excellent, very friendly reception, catering and cleaning staff. Will definitely recome my frirnds.

Small lifts and showers

Hotel all staff was fantastic and very helpful,good food and good location.

Clean room and hotel, friendly staff

Small room, pretty poor breakfast variety

Clean room and hotel, friendly staff

The location of the hotel is great, the room is small but...
    • Economy Single Room

The location of the hotel is great, the room is small but very fancy and comfortable.

Friendly and helpful staff, great location, very clean room...

Insufficient bath products; need to bring yours

Friendly and helpful staff, great location, very clean room and bathroom

Met expectations.

Room was small.

Location is close to the station and easy walk to the cities highlights.

Browse Hotel Amalfi traveller photo gallery