Reviews of Relais Hotel Antico Palazzo Rospigliosi 4 stars

Via Liberiana 21, Rione Monti, 00185 Rome, Italy

#775 of 921 hotels in Rome

• Classic Double or Twin Room

4 stars with poor breakfast table (juice is flavoured water, plastic 'glasses' in the breakfast room and in the room as well), dirty chairs, skipping hot-cold water during shower... under any kind of expectations.

Nothing, but the location and the staff

• Executive Double or Twin Room

The only flaw is the the breakfast, very small, not to many option, did not had vegetables and the fruits were not that good so there weren't really a fresh option. Coffee is from automatic machine so it was very bad. we just skip it and went to coffee place for breakfast

The hotel was very good, his location is in the center of everything, the room was very clean and the staff are very nice.

• Classic Double or Twin Room

Although my shower was OK, I know that the washing facilities of some of my friends were not good (shower didn't work properly or no plug in sink). Also the toilet seat in my room was "hanging by a thread". I did ask the staff when I arrived to fix the light above the sink and, although they changed it, it still didn't work. The TV only had very few channels and was very temperamental. Because we were out and about such a lot, I think most of us "just got on with it" and couldn't really be bothered to let the staff know all the problems - with hindsight it would have been better to have advised them.

The staff were particularly welcoming and helpful (Marco, Francesca, Katarina are the names I can remember but all were helpful). The location is excellent. The hotel is clean and comfortable.

• Classic Double or Twin Room

Met all expectations. No criticisms at all.

Variety of choices at breakfast, very friendly, helpful and informative staff. Fantastico building, great location for sights and access to transport - taxis, buses, metro, trains and trams. Plenty of good restauants close by.

• Classic Double or Twin Room

Lovely building in a perfect location, excellent double glazing made sure the room was lovely and quiet even in the centre of Rome! Friendly helpful staff. Warm and comfortable stay. We will definitely be back.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

The breakfast is humdrum. The coffee from the machine barely drinkable. We were thankful for the daily cooked beans. That was our mainstay. Mind you, we are not fans of croissants and sweets. The cheese choice did not appeal to us, and the only fruit of quality was the pineapple. However, the dismal breakfast did not dampen our enjoyment in staying at this facility. The mood of the building, the cleanliness of our room, the brightness of our bathroom and the helpfulness of the staff more than compensated for the lack of a good breakfast.

We liked our bedroom and bathroom. Very comfortable. Like being at home. We were in a larger room. Not a standard room. So we had a table and chairs. Lots of space. Not tripping over each other. The thick curtain in the bedroom kept out the sunlight. Nice and dark for sleeping. Our bedroom window faced a basilica. Large, light bathroom. Very clean. Lovely towels changed everyday. We slept and bathed very well. We chose this hotel as a historical structure dating from the 16th century. Lovely living room areas on each floor. A private chapel on the third floor. The charm is that it is old and enchanting, keeping with the mood of ancient Rome itself. The location is fabulous. We walked everywhere! The staff friendly and helpful. Full of smiles and courtesy. Adding delight to each of our days.

• Classic Double or Twin Room

Everything Hotel dreadful No hot water Moved rooms multiple times and had to keep going to other rooms to try and find hot water for a shower Staff not able to resolve anything Manager never there A complete disgrace and Booking dot com have so far not sorted out my compensation so not impressed with how they are dealing with my multiple complaints either

I have made a complaint about the entire situation regarding this hotel and called Booking dot com while I was there as the situation was so dreadful. I have chased you multiple times and have still not received and answer or compensation the list of things wrong with the hotel is long and I refer you to my complaint and ask you to reply by return

This hotel does not deserve four stars, beds are old, no duvet, just a bed spread, terrebly dirty, the maid came to clean the room early when we were having breakfast and when we returned she didn’t bother to ask if we want privacy to get ready to go on excursion. She was vacuuming and cleaning the bathroom... next morning I had to hang “do not desturb” sign on the door knob so that we coul get ready to go out asap. For breakfast do not expect any fruits and veggies, no toaster available, very poor food selection. The wifi was from 14th century as well as the matresses.

Receptionist was very friendly and helpful

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Breakfasts were poor - not a lot of choice. Not a lot of food either, the first morning, when we arrived half-an-hour before the end of breakfast time. Although nice to have a bath instead of a shower, the bath should have been replaced - there were several very obvious repairs to the enamel. Cleanliness was very poor: I found a map we had dropped behind a chair two days later - the room had obviously not been hoovered or properly cleaned, or the map would have been left out in a prominent place. Bathroom floor not properly cleaned either.

Location -walking distance from Termini station. Room at the back - once we had changed from the noisy one allocated at the front - was quiet. A bath. Interesting building.

• Quadruple Room

Needs an update, the room didn't have basics like blanket, kettle and the hotel doesn't have an iron! This is definitely not 4 star. It's 2 star

The staff are friendly

• Quadruple Room

BOOKED QUAD ROOM FOR 4 AND PAID ACCORDINGLY BUT WHEN REACHED GOT DOUBLE ROOM FOR 4 ADULTS,NO RESPONSE WHEN ASKED RECEPTION.I NEED TO BOOK ANOTHER IN SAME HOTEL AND PAY AGAN,I CALL THIS CHEATING.

WILL NEVER BOOK AGAIN .OVER PRICED TOILETS VERY BAD ZERO START HOTEL WHO GAVE 4 STARS TO THIS PROPERT,WINDOWS ARE LOCKED WITH WIRES,DAY STAFF ON RECEPTION ONLY LOOKING FOR MONEY.NO FACALITY

• Classic Double or Twin Room

Rooms were much older than expected and wifi didn't work very well in the room. We booked due to advertisement of a rainfall shower byt did not receive a room with this. Our first room only had a bath and shower head on a hose with no curtain or screen which was not appropriate for my husband who is over 215cms tall. We were able to be moved to another room the next day but still had a very old shower and room.

Staff were very friendly and the location was very convenient

The bed was like a board, the third bed was a put-u-up, the shower temperature was almost impossible to control, the sockets were unusable, the bath was in poor condition. At breakfast the bread was not fresh, neither was th cereal. There were no bar facilities, so we didn't use the courtyard, which was a shame.

• Classic Double or Twin Room

Hotel was infested with bed bugs.My son was bitten around 50 times.We were given another room which was infested. We spent 50 euro on clothes laundering. We checked out and moved to the east side of Rome and reserved a Holiday Inn in the Suburbs that was just fine, but cost 186 euro. I want reimbursement for the last two days at the Respigalose, and the 186 euro I spent at the Holiday Inn. In 2014 we stayed at the Respigalose and it was fine---not this time.

Hotel staff were very nice and accommodating.breakfast was nice.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

• Classic Double or Twin Room

The place was super rundown. They need to spend a lot of money on the place, soon. Bathroom was literally falling apart. Whole place felt a lot like the hotel season of American Horror Story.

Great staff. Great location. Those two aspects could not have been better

• Quadruple Room

They were not cleaning properly the room on daily basis Breakfast was very poor, quantity was not enough for all residents

People at reception were very friendly and smiley The location is very good, restaurants around are fine, many choices Free car parking

• Classic Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was very basic and not topped up, on occasions people arriving for late breakfast didn't have much of a selection.

The warm greeting of front desk staff and the elegance & cleanliness of the hotel.

• Quadruple Room

Bedbugs. We found 5 bedbugs on our third( last night). My daughter showed me two bite marks on our first day but i ignored until i woke up scratching my arm at 2:30 am on our 3rd night. We spent the rest of the night hunting bed bugs and found 5. Put them in a glass and gave the receptionist as we checked out.

location and friendly/ helpful staff

• Classic Double or Twin Room

No Hair dry in the room (I waited 20min to get it). No WATER , nor other drinks, in the fridge, air conditioning did not works and shower box broken..

Only location and Hotel external aspect

• Classic Double or Twin Room

When we first checked in, we were put in a room that stank of smoke and had cigarettes on the bathroom floor. We were changed to another room, but this room did not have wifi, the TV didn't work, and the shower was terrible with two heads that were partially broken. The room was clean, but very outdated, and the shower had a lot of scum build up. Breakfast was included, but it's a pretty rubbish breakfast, no fresh fruit and all pre-packaged low quality stuff. BUT, we were hardly there as we were exploring Rome and it was just a place to sleep. It was overpriced for what it was, but I guess we paid for location.

This location was great. 10 minutes Walking to the Trevi Fountain and plenty of restaurants and convenience shops at the doorstep. We travelled by car and it was easy to get to.

There was awful smell of mold in the room and the dining area. The staff there didn't inform us of the free private parking lot at first, instead he recommended the paid parking at 30 euros.

Good location in the city centre.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Very clearly not four star Poor lift Very poor shower even after they refitted it to the wall after it fell off. Air conditioning very weak and even failed completely for 12 hours plus. Breakfast very poor.

Staff generally very helpful

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

• Classic Double or Twin Room

Very small bedroom & bathroom We sometimes received no new shower gel, sometime half full small containers Breakfast was low quality This is not a four-star hotel, barely a 3-star Price/quality not good, you pay clearly for the location

People at the reception were friendly Location is great

• Classic Double or Twin Room

There was no restaurant, no bar and certainly no room service. Apparently there had been a restaurant previously but it was owned by another party who had closed it. I was told that drinks could be ordered to the garden or bedroom but no menu was available and, since the staff at reception were always single-handed and unable to leave the reception desk I am not sure how this could be achieved. The shower in the first room I was given was completely broken as well as being dirty and the shower tray badly installed/repaired with putty everywhere. There was soap and a tube of shampoo but no other toiletries were provided. I was given another room in which the shower did release water but again the shower tray was broken - badly repaired with putty - and the taps were coming off the wall. The room was dark and the main light did not work. Nor did the phone. The carpet was badly stained and the single water glass provided was not cleaned or replaced during my stay. The room was dark and smelled musty and there were no electricity sockets available except those used by the bedside lamps. The breakfast was awful - dry, overcooked pastries, cheap sliced luncheon meat, cold and watery scrambled eggs and rice pudding with unknown objects floating on/stuck into it. Hot drinks were self-service from a machine with no cold drink options available. Definitely not what I would expect from a 4 star hotel and certainly not worth the money. There are lots of nicer hotels within 3 or 4 minutes walk

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

• Executive Double or Twin Room

The continental breakfast was good, not exceptional. I would love to have some fresh fruits, vegetables and juices. The breakfast room was clean and well organized. The bathroom is a bit outdated, with not very good shower, but spacious and clean. Rome is expensive, even with all the minor issues, I think this was good value for the money.

Good location, very pretty view to Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore. On the same plaza there is a stop for all Hop-On Hop-Off busses. The hotel stuff was good.

• Classic Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was not good at all. The hotel is too old and has not been renovated. Everything was falling apart in the bathroom. Clearly not a 4-star hotel and not worth the money.

Good courtyard. Staff was helpful.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

• Executive Double or Twin Room

We stayed here for 3 nights in May. It started poorly and didn't get any better. The clerk that checked us in acted as if we were bothering him. The building is older and it shows. Our rooms on the second floor were street side, so we always heard noise from the street. Soap and toilet paper were not replaced (had to hide the toilet paper to get housekeeping to put in another roll). WiFi was spotty to non-working. This is not a 4 star hotel. The only plus worth noting is the service at breakfast was good and the location works for touring this area of Rome and access to the train station. I would not stay here again.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

• Superior Triple Room

There was no hot water in the morning during our stay. The hotel was full, but breakfast served only one person.

Perfect location! The room was large and comfortable, and the view from the window was incredible!

• Classic Double or Twin Room

Room 208 has neither hot water nor hot weather. It was freezing at nights. Rooms are not clean enough, only has nice teracce without any service. Owner of the hotel needs to be carry about that hotel. That was worst experience of my life. Second day staff offer me to change room he was really polite however it was too late to change room. In anywhere in the world without hot water that hotel cant have 4 star. I think Rome regulations dont care about the hotels.

Only location

• Classic Double or Twin Room

bathroom was appalling - first morning water was luke warm, 2nd and last morning there was NO hot water - shower head was caked in calcium so water could hardly get through anyway - and the toilet would not flush properly either - this is unacceptable when you're paying € 164 per night

location was great

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

• Executive Double or Twin Room

While the room was comfortable enough its fittings were old and tired

Convenient to the station and lovely view out to the Piazza and cathedral opposite. It has been a grand building in its day and elements of that grandeur are a number of the public areas

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

• Classic Double or Twin Room

Really bad breakfast. Room needs some maintenance: the safety box didn't work, the room door didn't open a lot of days (need to return back down to reception and request a new key), the toilet flush was broken...

Location and WIFI of good quality.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Wi-Fi doesn't really work well, water in the shower was warm enough but couldn't always get really hot water, no hooks in the bathroom, no glasses in the room (had to take from breakfast area), king size bed was really a queen size platform with two mattresses making it look like king size, but quality of sleep was good nevertheless

Very friendly personnel, nice location, fairly good breakfast, historic palazzo

• Reviewed: 1 December 2016

The breakfast didn't have much variety but the café was clean and the staff were pleasant. Stayed in a room on a busy street so could be noisy during the night.

The staff were very helpful, gave me a free map when checking in and circled the best places to go and how to get there. Room was clean, towels and bedding was changed everyday- Stayed in a twin room which was really spacious and had a balcony.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

• Classic Double or Twin Room

1. WiFi was almost inaccessible in my room; 2. Breakfast is awful - coffee is just horrible! 3. Bed and pillows are super uncomfortable.

This hotel is very conveniently located. It is close to the main train station as well as to many of the cities' touristic sights.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was a total disaster (just think about sausages in a cold water!) Coffee was awful (in Italy!). Wi-fi does not work in the room. I better stop here :)

Location was good

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

• Executive Double or Twin Room

THE hotel is definately not a 4 star hotel anymore, Maybe 2! THE room facilities are old, broken, leaking or damaged. After complaining THE manager gave us a better room and breakfast in THE room. For that Reason we did not leave earlier than planned. Breakfast in THE restaurant is really bad, even for italian standard.😢

Location is great not only Because of THE basilica but mainly Because of THE restaurant 'Le 2 Colonne' next door!!! We were very unsatisfied after Arrival but THE manager solved our main problems accurately. Staff was very helpful😀😀

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

• Executive Double or Twin Room

The room was decently clean but very dated. The strangest thing was the bed base was for a king size bed but the mattress on top only a full or queen size.

The location is good and the courtyard garden was very nice for a drink. The staff were mixed, lovely and helpful porter and argumentative front desk clerk.

• Classic Double or Twin Room

They have abeautiful coutysrd garden that says it is open every day from 4-9. We looked forward to coming back and having a dink in the afternoons, but it was always closed. When we asked they said you had to book it so that they could organise staff!!!!!!!! One evening we rang and asked for ice to be sent up as the fridge did not work in our room. A very disgruntled receptionist finally arrived up with some and said that the staff had left at 9. I'm not sure where exactly they would have been as we were back at 8.15pm and there was no one else apart from him that we could see and the beautiful courtyard once again was all closed up. It is more a bed and breakfast than hotel.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

It didn't feel like a 4 star hotel. The room was very basic; old furniture, empty mini fridge, no slippers, no body wash, not enough shampoo and towels for the present amount of people and old and not very comfortable beds. Our room was also suppose to have airconditioning, but it was more of an old fanning system. Breakfast was also very basic. For example, instead of delicious Italian cheese there was cheddar in plastic wrapping paper... I woulnt have mind if it was a 2 or 3 star hotel, but you just expect more from a 4 star hotel.

Very nice and helpful hotel staff. They took their time to answer our questions about the city. Very central location. We easily walked to every main attraction, even Vatican City. The garden was also very beautiful.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

• Classic Double or Twin Room

Two double beds not one big bed Smell not nice in ground floor

Location: Excellent, but places you can access by wallking even Room size: Very good Breakfast: Good but same options every day

• Reviewed: 5 August 2016

• Classic Double or Twin Room

Bed was uncomfortable. Shower was a bit grimy.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Free parking on site was extremely helpful especially when staying in the ZTL. Location was within reasonable walking distance to historical sites.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

• Quadruple Room

Beautiful spacious room. Free champagne in room on ice upon our arrival. Comfortable bed. Spacious bathroom. Great view from 4th floor room. Nice courtyard. Good breakfast. Close to train station.

• Reviewed: 16 July 2016

- The actual place is different to the photos - Air conditioning is extremely weak, we asked people to fix if but it made no difference - Staff was not very attentive - The place was old with many malfunctioning facilities e.g. the lift, the safe in the room and even the key to the hotel room! - Overall experience was poor

Location is fair.

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

• Classic Double or Twin Room

The air conditioning was inadequate. It was hard to be comfortable. They charged $5.00 for ice. There was no iron. Wifi does not work on third floor.

The hotel is close to the train station. Breakfast is good.

All was great

All was great!

• Classic Double or Twin Room

No negative comments to offer.

Staff was friendly and helpful.

Very poor breakfast quality

to old for 4 stars and pricy

Location, location, location, breakfast, friendliness of staff second and third night.

• Classic Double or Twin Room

Breakfast could be more rich and full.

Very good place to stay, near city center 10 min. from Colosseum. Stayed 3 great nights.

Great hotel. Very helpful staff. Good location

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Hotel was a lot nicer in the photos. Facilities were dated and beds not very comfortable

Staff were very helpful and was a great location

• Classic Double or Twin Room

Got bitten by bed bugs. Breakfast no good.

Friendly staff. Great location.

• Quadruple Room

Poor service and amenities out of order. AC didn't work.

• Classic Double or Twin Room

The room that was given to us last night was very tight and felt like suffocating. The dust all over

The breakfast :)

• Quadruple Room

No wi-fi in room and AC could not keep up with the heat.

Beds were nice and staff was accommodating.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Wonderful location and very nice staff.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

The toilet blocked and the beds were hard.

The staff are excellent and the location convenient

outfashioned decoration

size of the room and the bed very calm

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

• Classic Double or Twin Room

breakfast was a little bit poor.

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

• Classic Double or Twin Room

Very old decor... nothing extra in the room like conditioner etc. just soap..

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

• Classic Double or Twin Room

hotel is an overpriced tourist trap with poor customer service. bad wifi connection

• Reviewed: 28 October 2016

• Classic Double or Twin Room

- Rooms a bit old and a bit dark - breakfast not very good

- Staff extremely helpful/ kind - location

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

• Classic Double or Twin Room

The price was too high for what you got at the hotel and the breakfast wasn't up to a four star standard.

The location is fantastic

• Reviewed: 10 September 2016

• Classic Double or Twin Room

I would definitely not rate this hotel as 4*, more like a 2*.

The location was good

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• Classic Double or Twin Room

Basic breakfast. Not too many options for celiacs.

Excellent location. Room cleanness.

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Atrium inside the hotel is wunderful and invite guests for relaxing. Tastful and not to expensive restaurants around the hotel.

• Reviewed: 8 July 2016

Room small

• Reviewed: 21 February 2016

As it was the 'winter' period the hotel did not have the air conditioning functioning, just the fan ventilation. It was still too warm in the room and thus it was necessary to have the window open during the night, but the traffic noise kept us awake as Rome is very much a 24 hour city. This was more of a 3 star hotel, not 4 star.

A very quaint hotel, perhaps more suited to Italian nationals than other nationalities.

• Reviewed: 26 December 2015

The bed was a little firm and the room was basic but we slept well

Friendly staff Nice breakfast Top location Beautiful old hotel Great view of a piazza and church from room window

• Reviewed: 22 November 2015

The room it's smaller than photo and it have a lot of small problems. Tv not working, some small malfunctions.

It is very near to metro station and it's exactly in right side of Santa Maria Majore Basilica. Quaiet place.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2015

bed and blanket is uncomfortable,not clean. bath room is also not clean. everything is old and not repaired

great location and staffs are kind. very good parking lot

• Reviewed: 17 October 2015

Not recommend at all. Really don't know how this hotel was rated as 4* star. We were a family of 4 with children put up in different room types and was really disappointed with the extremely poor hotel facilities. Never realised it would be so terrible until we checked in. Very poor breakfast, our room was poorly lit with 3 small dirty carpets on the tiled floor and broken bath tub This hotel was the worst experience in our 7 days trip in Italy. We cut down our stay in this hotel and checked out the very next day which was a big relief.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2015

Have stayed here twice before and found this boutique hotel to be excellent value for money and very handy to restaurants, rail terminus and attractions.

• Reviewed: 10 September 2015

Shocking bathroom, not even the basics of a shower curtain. Sir condition non existent. How this hotel received 4 stars is a miracle when all it has going for it is location and nothing else

There are also 15 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Relais Hotel Antico Palazzo Rospigliosi traveller photo gallery