Reviews of Hotel Bretagna 3 stars

#195 of 392 hotels in Florence

• Reviewed: 22 October 2018

The room was amazing!
    • Deluxe Junior Suite with River View

Nothing really, the building is an older building but once you are in the room, it was very nice.

The room was amazing! Very upscale and we enjoyed our stay. The front desk was very helpful with all of our requests and questions. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

Great place to stay and no major downsides.

Mattress rather too firm for my preference but still got good night sleep.

Breakfast was great . Marvellous croissants and excellent choice whatever ones taste. Hotel situation is very central and is right on the river and staff most friendly.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

Very nice hotel in perfect location.
    • Deluxe Junior Suite with River View

There was few little things that would need some fixing in bathroom, but when in Rome...

Location, location, location! Staff was very nice. Breakfast in Café downstairs was delicius.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

The room is nothing close to the pictures uploaded on...
    • Economy Double Room

The room is nothing close to the pictures uploaded on booking.com. We were shocked when we entered the room. It was small, old, with dirty walls. We complained and asked for another room but the staff were so stubborn and told us that this is what we booked, however the pictures on booking.com are something else. We told them that we need to talk with the manager but they ignored our request and told us that we will see if he’s available. I am a frequent traveler and this was my worst experience, and it was handled in a very unprofessional way.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

Luxury room, no luxury to hotel
    • Deluxe Double Room

Wasn’t made aware that there is no bar or restaurant-they are separate and down the road. Not a problem, but excluding the room,the hotel didn’t quite have the wow factor I was looking for for to take my wife to Italy for her first time.

Fabulously luxurious room on two levels.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2018

On the river, central to everything, romantic, friendly and fab food.
    • Economy Double Room

There wasn't really anything not to like.

The bed was very comfy. The room was clean and spacious and the bathroom was large with plenty of toiletries. The breakfast was the best buffet we have had so much to choose and the staff were smiley and friendly.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Perfect location and room; wife was delighted...would happily stay again!

Lift/Elevator - slow and cumbersome

Fantastic location close to River Arno and Pont De Vecchio. clean, spacious, historical former palace with lovely attentive, knowledgeable staff. Thank you Ginevra for top advice. Restaurant nearby had good international selection of breakfast foods. Lovely to share breakfast time chats with other nationalities, too.

Great location and amazing rooms if you book the renovated...
    • Junior Suite with River View

Did not know there was a difference in floors. Accidentally booked the unrenovated room, was able to switch to the upgraded room for last 2 nights. Staff was difficult to deal with over charged my card and never returned my calls or messages.

Great location and amazing rooms if you book the renovated floor. Make sure you are aware of which floor you book

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

A Charming Compliment to Florentine Beauty

Historic beauty in every room. The charm of an old Italian Villa combined with modern luxuries. The classic style and views of the Arno lent itself quaintly to the legendary scenery of the city.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Good location in a wonderful city
    • Economy Double Room

The bathroom was very small and it was difficult to move around in there.

Good air conditioning, staff were extremely polite and helpful and it was a good location for exploring.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

Perfect location and charming hotel

The room I stayed in was one of the old ones (very different from the pictures you see on Booking.com, so make sure you see what room you select) and was very small and had a leakage in the bathroom. But it was still a charming and nice hotel to stay at.

The location, staff and breakfast was wonderful!

We would definitely stay here again!
    • Deluxe Junior Suite with River View

We loved everything about our stay at this hotel. The location was fantastic. The newly refurbished apartment was beautiful, spacious, stunning views of the river. Loved the spa bath, and enjoyed breakfast

Location is fantastic

Old hotel, breakfast very poor, room very dark and old, toilet very tiny, booked a certain type of room and I was given a completely other one and no one did anything about it for two days stay. Breakfast is very basic in a tiny corner in the lobby, toilet ia very tiny with a shower, room is dark and furniture is old. There is no elevator.

Location is fantastic

I love Florence wherever I stay.
    • Junior Suite with River View

the furniture was old (extremely consumed) and the internal room design needs to be improved and to be more creative, the same for the bathroom. The Jacuzzi was not working.

the location and the view are awesome.

If you are looking for a place that is good on location and less on look and feel, this is a goodie.

Room size and decor

The room was a little small and the decor dated 'European', but the location and breakfast made up for it. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly. The major sites are all within walking distance and easy to also walk to the main/central train station (about 10 mins walk with luggage on the cobblestone streets). Bed was comfy, shower was warm and towels were fluffy!

Bad hotel
    • Economy Double Room

Everything. In reality room was very different from photos. It was old and not very clean. Air conditioner was not working, but staff can only smile and told that tomorrow it will be fixed. I was there for three night and conditioner was fixed only last day. I was not proposed for any compensation for this inconvenience and administration was not agree to change my room to another with working conditioner. Generally awful hotel with awful service. Do not recommend.

Breakfast was good, but only because it was served in other cafe

Very much enjoyed our stay in the suite room.
    • Superior King Room

I have nothing negative to say about our stay. I would stay at this hotel again.

Very much enjoyed our stay in the suite room. The historical building, walkway flowers, view from balcony very charming and added to our Florence experience. The terrace from there building 2 was spectacular! The breakfast exceeded our expectation. So many fantastic choices in the buffet and coffee was wonderful. The staff was exceptional, always helpful and friendly.

The staff- in particular Julia (I think that was her name)...

The staff- in particular Julia (I think that was her name) was amazing and provided excellent information about Florence and getting around to all the key attractions. In addition she provided great info on local places to eat. Breakfast was also very good. And the location excellent.

Great friendly staff,great breakfast,don't leave money in your room.
    • Economy Double Room

Small old room,no view, we left small change/ money on our desk when we returned from excursion money was gone, informed staff and was told that cleaner must have taken it as a tip, we did not leave a note stating it was a tip.

Breakfast ,location, staff ,great

on River Arno bank in a building of epoca
    • Economy Double Room

We had a simple double room, is very simple small room and the furniture is old except the bathroom was renovated some time ago. The building itself is of epoca so will have to live with the structure of the building but the pictures of the common area are way too pretty than reality.

breakfast was great at a restaurant downstairs. location is great if you want to stay by the river Arno. Staff is polite.

Excellent Hotel, helpful staff and fantastic rooms ..... shhhhh ... don't tell anyone.

Air conditioning was noisy and could hear people in the apartment above walking around in the morning.

The reception was old with a beautiful view over the river, however when I stepped into my room I was blown away, newly renovated, sparkling clean and huge!! I had only booked one night because I had been staying with friends who left a day earlier but I wish I had more nights in this hotel! The bed was the most comfortable I slept in during my entire trip and the pillows soft, I loved my stay and the breakfast downstairs in the cafe was very good, I ate the most delicious wholewheat croissant there! It is about a 2 minute walk from Ponte Vecchio and the shops.

Excellent hotel with helpful friendly staff, best location and value for money. Highly recommended
    • Economy Double Room

Mosquitos - needed more repellent plug in.

Excellent location by river, a few mins to Ponte Vecchio, enjoyed drinks on the balcony and beautiful sunsets. Helpful friendly staff, very attentive and provided clear information. Fantastic breakfast included

Beautiful historical location, AMAZING BREAKFAST EXPERIENCE!

none

Nice located at Arno river, beautiful historic palace, pefectly clean and functional facilities, friendly and professional staff, AMAZING BREAKFAST EXPERIENCE!

The Hotel Bretagna was excellent!
    • Economy Double Room

The Hotel Bretagna was excellent! We absolutely loved our stay and the woman at the front desk was the absolute best, she was super friendly and extremely helpful. We highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking! We will definitely be back!

Great place to stay, close to amenities and very comfortable.
    • Economy Double Room

They do not have parking so it is a little bit cumbersome if you are driving to find parking and then check-in. Hefty police fines if you drive in the old town (as a tourist it is very easy to make a mistake and end up in the pedestrian only part of old town). But then, this is not the hotel fault.

Great hotel conveniently located close to all attractions. Very friendly and helpful staff, Kudos to Julia!!. 24-hour Front desk service. Comfortable and clean room. Will come back to this place.

It’s close to attractions and shopping.

I find that solo travelers get the worst room in the house and this was no exception. There was only one TV channel. The amenities were very basic and I feel that I didn’t get value for money (maybe because it was Easter weekend and this is Florence?) It’s in an old building (as probably everything is in Florence) so certain things like an electric outlet beside the bed were not available.

It’s close to attractions and shopping. The breakfast was excellent, serving green beans and zucchini (as it would be pizza and pasta all day otherwise).

Spirit of seventies
    • Junior Suite with River View

I don´t have any negative expirience.

Very good place, I have visited a few years ago. I like this place for itś spirit of old palace on the bank of Ardo river. It is nice walk around in small corridors and monitor life. There are 2 lines of Hip Hop buses and this tour give you good survey about location.

The room was really nice and the view was insanely amazing!
    • Junior Suite with River View

Breakfast was in a different building, a cafe a few buildings down. The WiFi was spotty.

The room was really nice and the view was insanely amazing! The breakfast was great.

Great value for money, and I'll be happy to return on my next visit to Florence

It's in a superb location, remarkably quiet for the proximity to the city centre. They offer a wonderful buffet breakfast, lots of different items (cereals, bread, cheese and hams, yoghurts, fruit, pastries, cakes, hot items, juices, choice of coffee...). The staff is friendly and helpful. My room was compact but clean and comfortable, with tea/coffee and bathroom supplies replenished daily.

Terrific location and wonderful stay
    • Economy Double Room

The bathroom was lovely and had heated towel racks. The breakfast served at the restaurant a few doors away was delicious. The staff were tremendously helpful and courteous.

Perfect stay in florence.
    • Deluxe Junior Suite with River View

The room was amazing, the bathroom was outstanding with a Jacuzzi bathtub and very big for two people. The room with a view to the river was great. The breakfast was spactacular and the reception was always helpfull and pleasant. Overall the stay was great!!

The room was quite nice -- very old-fashioned, clean and...
    • Economy Double Room

The room is quite warm sometimes.

The room was quite nice -- very old-fashioned, clean and tidy. The breakfast was wonderful with a wide selection of food and drinks. Hotel wifi was great -- far better than that of our hotel in Rome. The hotel is in a nice location, walking distance to the shopping areas, Duomo, and nice bridges.

Great location for that Florence has to offer
    • Junior Suite with River View

The taps on the bath and the shower head were almost falling off the wall! A bodged repair had been attempted. But not good enough for the cost of the room. That said it didn’t spoil my stay.

Great location for that Florence has to offer

İt was an ancient building from The 15 th century.

When we booked The room The offered price changed inthe hotel because of The cıty tax.we weren't informed about this.

İt was an ancient building from The 15 th century.İ felt surprised.The bed was quite big and very very comfortable.İt was in The heart of The cıty bu The River Arno....The staff was magnificient.

Generaly ok

Wifi very poor. One suit was perfect the other one poor. Very huge difference in quality for almost the same amount!!! This influenced my evaluation of value for money. If I have just one (better one) suit I will give much better rewiev.

Location, breakfast

I am disappointed, unfortunately the photos on booking are...

I am disappointed, unfortunately the photos on booking are not exactly corresponding to the hotel . The modern room I was looking when I booked the hotel are in the sister hotel Alfieri few steps away from hotel Bretagna where they serve breakfast also for the guest of hotel Bretagna . I think this information should be more accurate in order to avoid such kind of unpleasant surprise.

Would go back there
    • Economy Double Room

Internet wasn't working while we were there because of a problem with the supplier but could be obtained in the breakfast café next door for some reason

Location within easy walking distance of everything Breakfast excellent with wide choice ( taken in partner café next door ) Staff friendly and informative Excellent bathroom facilities ( we were in room 10 )

Beauty & history with today's comforts, great location and staff!

Everything was wonderful!

This is a former 14th century palace renovated in a romantic style located on a beautiful view of the canal. So lovely inside, from the doors to the ceilings! The rooms are fabulous, with tasteful, comfortable furnishings and a bathroom to die for! Such interesting lighting abounds, as Italians do so well, and the bathroom has every convenience imaginable! The staff was so professional and warm and very helpful to suggest places to see and restaurants to enjoy. Breakfast was top notch as were the staff, everything was wonderful and extremely well done! If you enjoy art and the style of an earlier Florence, mixed with the tasteful comfort of today you will love staying here!

The overall experience was very good. The feeling of Florence!

The efficiency of some details (shower, heating) maybe not perfect. These need some improvements.

The location is excellent! Also the price was very interesting (special offer). The room was clean, quiet and the bed comfortable. Excellent breakfast at Altieri on Lungarno included in the price of the room.

Nice staff, wonderful location. Nice room

The room was enormous, but the only windows were the doors, so we could not leave a window open.

The staff were friendly and helpful, the location was wonderful.

The location of the hotel is fantastic.

Spend the extra money on the better room. It will have more space and the possibility of a nice view as well.

The location of the hotel is fantastic. Just far enough from major sites to keep a bit of quiet, but within walking distance of it too. The place nearly next door for breakfast is good food, just be sure to get the order card in the night before.

Better options than this
    • Junior Suite with River View

Rooms very old, the shower had to be held in hand as there was no place to put on the wall. Sheets on the bed we very outdated and had a musky smell to them and aslo in the room

Great break....no issue with the staff, clean room ..... but don't pay top dollar to stay

No where to eat in the building....no public lounge .....breakfast area, outwith hotel about three buildings along the street.....when coffee requested.....arrived tepid.....but hey I was on holiday in the heart of Florence, nice restaurant next door to hotel and why drink coffee when you can drink wine.

Nice hotel right next to the Arno River and just along from the Ponte Vecchio bridge....so location fab....bit over priced for a basic hotel.....especially if you end up in the older part, the entrance leaves a lot to be desired and bit disconcerting.....but staff fine when you find them.

Great place to stay in downtown Florence

My room was nearby common toilet and while being used at night or early morning - noisy. I guess in the summer there might be mosquitos from the river. In end of October I had one in my room and saw one more inside of the hotel so make sure you get some repellent.

Amazing safe location, walking distance to downtown just next to the river. Basic single room was comfortable and worth the money according the season. Breakfest amazing, staff kind and helpful.

Quite a nice hotel, very good breakfast

As mentioned, not easily accesed by public transport.

It a great location for sightseeing, but not that good in terms of public transport and getting to or from the train station (if you dont want to take a taxi). The room was dated, realy needs some renovation, but still comfortable. The breakfast was wonderful - 10/10!

They have 3 kind of rooms. The old one which are not nice and the new section that are just beautiful! We'll and just beautiful design! At the second and the third night We got a room in the new section with the river view. It was fantastic

Short walks under a bright blue sky by the Arno

My room was very small, true it was a single room and I made the booking for my friend and I as I had been here on a spacious traditional room. Unfortunately tbey gave ME the tiniest one with roof view and at the back of the hotel. It is true we had an unbeatable price, therefore I didn t ask for a room change. We noticed mosquitoes, due to the rise of temperature.But a hotel has to have a mosquitoe desinfection from time to time to avoid this.

Great Location! In front of the Arno and very near main roads. Many restaurants around and a couple of meters from Ponte Vecchio.Great views from Registration desk area. Great continental breakfast with fresh croissants, fruits, yogurts, cakes, omelette, etc on a modern cafe a few meters away from main building.

Fabulous

I liked it all

View of Arno River from our room! Incredible breakfast located on River with wide selection of fluffy eggs, bacon, cappuccino, pastries and fruit. Location was excellent near Ponte Vecchio and lovely shopping street! Very safe. Staff at reception welcoming. Would stay again!

We enjoyed our week in Florence. The weather was good, we could walk everywhere we wanted to go!
    • Economy Double Room

We arrived late in the evening, the taxi dropped us at the end of the block so we had to walk along the sidewalk with luggage to the hotel. It was difficult to see the sign at first.

The location was great, breakfast was fantastic, front desk staff very helpful, room was quiet, bed comfortable, but could have used another small chair in room. Our family enjoyed our stay!

What it lacks is modern comfort it makes up in charm, location, breakfast and welcoming staff.

Because it’s an old house, the room wasn’t very soundproof. Nor was the room and bathroom equipped like we’ve come to expect in hotels.

Extremely helpful and friendly staff. Breakfast isn’t in the hotel but a cafe 3 doors down the street. It’s delicious! The hotel is an old palace / house with a lot of charm. Location next to the water inside the cultural centre, could not be better.

Not good enough.
    • Economy Double Room

The water pressure in the morning was not good. A shower would take you twice the normal time. We had to call reception in order to have water the first day, they open the pipe, we heard the water coming and the air blowing through the pipe. Finally, the water came, and as soon the water arrive, a guy knock the door, and he ask us if we have water, we said, the water just arrive, but the guy said, why do you complain, I see the water running. ... Really? That was so annoying. We had to take the shower early in the morning, otherwise after 8 am, wasn't enough pressure.

I like the location, and the breakfast. They have a wonderful breakfast in a cafe neraby.

Great location, great room (4th floor), fantastic breakfast.
    • Deluxe Junior Suite with River View

We were on the 4th floor but our friends were in an older room on the 3rd floor.

The room was very modern and has been recently renovated. The breakfast at the partner café on the street below was superb, along the river.

location is not everything

Our room was nowhere near close to what is down in the picture, quite big but very dark with a small window. What was really disappointing is the fact that there was mold in the room (ceiling) and even after declaring that my wife was asthmatic and pointing out the related health concerns the staff would not allow us to switch rooms unless we paid for an upgrade.

Excellent location

A must stay hotel

Nothing wrong It looks plain from outside but a real surprise when inside

Love the history of the building If you like original and antique stay in room 2 You will not believe it. Then the new suite upstairs is amazing as well totally modern and a great contrast We stayed in both and would stay there again Great location right by river

Breakfast was great
    • Economy Double Room

Our room was quite shabby, dirty paintwork and quite old fashioned - sink plug got stuck so needed to be fixed which it was - also complained because the toilet dripped all the time very annoying at night - that was not fixed - I would go to this hotel again but only if we had a renovated room

Breakfast was great Position of hotel great Staff really helpful

We love the decoration, very classical.

Triple bed room is a little bit hot.

We love the decoration, very classical. Breakfast is very good and you can have a very nice view because the river and old bridge just on you side. It is very convenient from the hotel to everywhere in Florence.

Very dissapointed.Our Hotle in lucca was 100 a week extra and was exeptonal.

The hotel was a converted house. The room was too hot even though it had air conditioning but the ceiling was really high so not effective. We had to have a fan on in the room. There was no breakfast room except outside next door. No bar or other facilities. no where to sit and chill.

Large Bed and the staff were excellent.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

Walls are probably 6 mt which makes the room very spacious...

Walls are probably 6 mt which makes the room very spacious and the painting of ceiling is amazing when you lay down. The location is great, we're able to walk around with our 5 year old kid. We'll absolutely book here next time.

Great location and breakfast
    • Superior King Room

Antique furnitures in the room are old which might be liked by some people but not for us.

Breakfast is great.Location is good, closed to the river side is a plus.Lots of shops and restaurants are nearby. Staffs are kind.

Loved Florence and location of hotel
    • Deluxe Junior Suite with River View

Hotel was really an apartment no services whatsoever . Very old and tatty reception and entrance area. As I say the room we had was fantastic ( junior suite with river view) non renovated rooms may be a little less opulent.

Room had just been renovated and was swish modern . Not sure what other rooms are like

Not worth the stay

Very old property...... needs to be revamped

The location of property is nice. The hotel needs renovation..... the air conditioning did not work even after our repeated complaints. They gave us a fan in the room on second night. It was not the worth the money spent.

Old elegance with beautiful river and bridge view
    • Junior Suite with River View (3 Adults)

The extra bed (we had a three person room) was very hard and my hip was sore if I slept on my side for too long.

An old building right on the river with the Ponte Vecchio a hundred yards away. Beautiful view of the river, the bridges and Santo IspirituThe building was old and elegant in details but could use some better preventative maintenance. It did not effect our enjoyment of the place. They had a good desk staff that was fluent in many languages. They were able to convert my dollars into euros with no delay. They had an arrangement with a café a few doors away which was the best buffet we found in our three weeks of travel. Café had extensive choices in eggs, meats, fruits, pastries and beverages. All the capuchinos you wanted.

Outstanding location & venue

N/a

Facilities were in excellent order and condition, exceptionally clean. The bathroom was large, impeccably clean and fittings were of the highest standard. Our bed was large, super comfortable and we slept very well due to excellent acoustics. The staff were superb.

Best in Florence with river views
    • Deluxe Junior Suite with River View

Incredibly beautiful views from both our deluxe junior suites. Fantastic breakfast with very attentive service and the last but not least very knowledgeable front desk with great tips and advices! Would love to return soon.

Close proximity to all major tourist attractions; friendly staff; amazing breakfast.

Some of the plugs in the bedroom weren't working.

Close proximity to all major tourist attractions; friendly staff; amazing breakfast at designated cafe.

Amazing breakfast selection and friendly staff.
    • Economy Double Room

Rooms were nothing special and kind of a bummer. Also our shower was dirty.

Amazing breakfast selection and friendly staff. The perfect location. Would come back just for the free breakfast and location alone.

Location and breakfast
    • Economy Double Room

Hotel is different like picture on booking. Hotel is old and smell very bed. Toilets smell bad in rooms. Reception have bad service. Never go for this price in this hotel again. No parking!

Location and breakfast

Think double before book it

The place is too high up with lots stair but did not mention in the booking info. Not suitable cor you g kids or olderly people. Share bath roim is not fun and room has no AC, internet super slow. Not worth for 200€/night

Hotel Bretagna was perfect, we wished we were staying longer

The room was perfect, spotlessly clean and quite a large space. The bed was very comfortable, extra pillows were provided. The staff were extremely helpful and polite. Breakfast was an amazing selection. We were worried about driving into the ZTL zone for parking at the hotel, but it was so simple. We informed reception staff that we had driven to the hotel, they organised parking in their parking lot behind the building and informed local traffic control of the car registration which cleared the vehicle in the ZTL for the previous 3 hours and onward. It was advised to inform staff if we needed to drive the car, but we had no intention of driving until check out as Hotel Bretagna is in a perfect location to see everything you would need to, on foot.

Great location right on the river.

Air conditioning was not always sufficient to cool the room. Workers were painting rooms and hallway in the area and paint could be smelled in our rooms.

Great location right on the river. Staff was very friendly and helpful. All spoke excellent English.

Air conditioning let this hotel down ,big time.
    • Economy Double Room

Reported air conditioning twice was told engineer had been but no change ,put temperature on 16 degrees but room still very warm no blow our friends had done the same, very uncomfortable at night, very disappointed,waking several times each night sweating no proper sleep.

Breakfasts were fantastic.

The location was perfect for strolling around Florence and...

Having a screen on the window so I could have opened it at night in lieu of using the air conditioning. There was supposed to be an anti-mosquito plug-in which I never did find (nor did I pursue acquiring one, as the air conditioning was fine).

The location was perfect for strolling around Florence and easily getting to all the noteworthy sites on foot. The staff were gracious and helpful and always cheerful! The room was quite comfortable, just perfect for my needs. I requested a room that was quiet, and indeed it was. I would definitely stay there again.

Fake photos!

The Hotel has fake photos on booking.com.The hotel has two sections, a renovated one and a non renovated one. On booking.com appear only the photos of the renovate rooms. I booked my stay based on that, however what I experienced during is a completely different old, non-renovated room.

The front desk staff was amazing - so kind, compassionate,...

No view from my small single room, but still comfortable. Spotty wifi at times.

The front desk staff was amazing - so kind, compassionate, and helpful. Good location, great value, excellent air conditioning :)

The breakfast, served in a small Nice lille cafe close to...

The rom smelled bad , the aircondition didnt work good . The roome was clean, so the smell probably came from the bathroom ,

The breakfast, served in a small Nice lille cafe close to the hotel

Browse Hotel Bretagna traveller photo gallery