Reviews of Castello Orsini Hotel 5 stars

Via Aldo Bigelli snc, 00017 Nerola, Italy

#1 of 3 hotels in Nerola

We didn't expect it to be THAT amazing!
    • Superior Double/Twin Room - Villino Salimei Annex

There's nothing not to like about sleeping in a medieval castle with a fantastic view! Nothing to complain about really!

Amazing historic buildings with a lot of details and a stunning view all around. We were floored when we stepped outside in the morning.

Don’t bother or if you do stay for one or two nights and don’t eat or drink at the castle.
    • French Style Single Room - Villino Salimei Annex

The swimming pool didn’t actually open until 11am and the hot tub was only clean and usable one day of the entire week- the other days it was actually repulsive, filthy and smelt terrible. Upon my arrival after travelling 8 hours from Abu Dhabi and taking a train and a bus I was told there wasn’t anywhere I could get even small refreshments, a sandwich, coffee or water. They were too busy with a wedding but they said I could book a table for dinner which opened at 7.30pm. The food was terrible and literally thrown down without even a smile or small conversation, as a female travelling alone I was extremely uncomfortable. I had 2 glasses of mediocre red wine and a salad. Upon checkout I was told the below average meal had cost me 42 euros. I did offer feedback and explained about my experience but not even an apology was offered. The following day I actually suffered with food poisoning. I actually left a day early because I couldn’t take the place any longer. Thank goodness for the cafe and bar at the bottom of the hill, cheap cheerful and very friendly. The restaurant had excellent quality seafood and the wine was only 3 euros for a carafe and it was excellent. I was extremely disappointed with my stay- despite being high season and such beautiful views on offer I imagined they would have a bar or restaurant outside. Instead it was in a dingy basement, very small and no atmosphere, it was so quiet I asked was there not even any background music- they had forgotten to turn it on. Breakfast was great so long as you are persistent with what you would like- personally I don’t eat cakes or cereal for breakfast. When I asked if eggs were available they originally pointed me to a huge disgusting vat of scrambled eggs. When I asked if anything else was available she said no and walked off. Thankfully the older gentleman offered me fried eggs. It’s really the small things that matter and it’s such a shame. I put it down to bad management and unhappy staff.

The views in the castle were amazing

A nice hotel but be careful with the choice of a room.
    • Castle Classic Double/Twin Room

Room was not comfortable. The locks of the bathroom door and the window were broken. The door of the bathroom could not be closed. Water was flowing in the bathroom all the time and it was very noisy.

Staff was very polite. Breakfast was tasty. Beautiful area.

very unique hotel.... highly recommend if your in the area

check to see when the hot tub and pool opens for the year. It was 30 degrees out and the pool didn't open for 3 more weeks

unique experience...dinner and wine was very good. walk down the hill to the small town and had a beer with the locals and watched the kids play soccer. castle was amazing to walk the grounds.

It's a castle! Nice for a weekend getaway!
    • Suite Tower North

Since there was a wedding that evening, the restaurant was closed. We didn't find that out until after the reservation was confirmed with a no-refund window. I really wanted to schedule a private dining on one of the turrets but wasn't able to move the reservation for another weekend. The bedroom could use an updating of the bedcovers.

They've done an excellent job converting it to meet the needs of banquets, parties or just a quiet retreat while maintaining the integrity of the castle itself. The views are fantastic and the breakfast was great - one of the best buffets we've had. They make their own salamis. Very relaxing! Nice pool and sunning area.

What a great place
    • Suite Tower East

You're in a castle.. what's not to like ?

Awesome building. Loved it. Took the misus away for a dirty weekend and had amazing sex outside in my own private tower. I felt like gandolf waving a magic wand around. We booked the suit and very glad I did. Me and wife fell out on last day but that didn't matter cos I had another bed downstairs ready for me. Tip top. Don't expect modern. This is a castle.

The real castle for romantic trip
    • Castle Single Room

I can not recommend for more than two nights. Yet as a tourist attraction - it's a couple of hours for an inspection. And the road to other sights is not close. WiFi worked very differently, places a good signal, in some places it did not work at all 50/50. Crawling on the ladder after a hard day is hard. There is a slight misunderstanding with the numbers there was some confusion. We booked 3 rooms: 2 Suite Split Level, and 1 Single Room (all in the main building). One of the suites quite corresponded to the description and photos on the site. The second number (which we were given instead of the Suite) was also a two-tiered one, but 3 times less (!), There are no photos on the site - as it is actually called I do not know. And instead of Single Room we were given the Standart Double / Twin Room - there the difference is not great. In general, everything is roughly the same.

It's certainly a real castle :) I think children will be interested. Yes, and adults are impressive! But much has been written about this - I will not repeat it. You can sit on the terrace on the wall or down by the pool. You can spend an evening at the real fireplace with a glass of wine. Romantic. We were at the beginning of May, practically alone (except for me and friends in the castle, there were only 3 more guests). Probably, in a season when there will be more lodgers, such romantic will not be any more. On the other hand, the pool will work in the summer and the hotel will be even more attractive.

I would recommend Castello Orsini to friends...particularly couples.
    • Castle Single Room

Ancient buildings tend to come with quirks. No hot water 2 mornings in a row was one of them. I suspect guests travelling alone get the short straw in terms of room standard.

Hard not to be impressed by the location and the building itself. My rate in mid-May was reasonable.

Magical place to stay!
    • Castle Classic Double/Twin Room

Room equipment was rather poor, small bathroom, 10 minutes waiting for hot water, insufficient lighting. Breakfast quite basic, definitely not at 5-star standard, totally missing vegetables.

Beautiful medieval castle turned into a 5* hotel. Friendly staff, great views, nice garden and swimming pool. The rooms are rather 3/4-star, but staying at such a stunning place makes you forgive all those little details.

Everything!
    • Suite Tower North

Everything! This is such a cool castle. The inexpensive room was definitely not as nice. The upgraded room was great. The castle and area are incredible! Breakfast was also lovely!

Magical stay in a castle
    • Classic Double/Twin Room - Villino Salimei Annex

I would recommend making sure you stay in the actual castle building rather than outside it - you can see when you are booking which you choose. When we booked unfortunately it was the only available room left, but it was still more than worth staying there to get to have our aperitivo, dinner and breakfast in a castle!

Although we were staying outside the castle, in a different building, we could wander freely round the castle which was superb. The staff were fantastic, really friendly and helpful. Good dinner in the restaurant.

An amazing place with the beautiful view.
    • Captain's Suite

The shower is built into the wall. It’s not flexible or ajustable. So when you come into the shower the water just starts pouring over your head.

An amazing place with the beautiful view. Everything is aimed at keeping the authentic interiors of the medieval castle, very lovely. The restaurant in the castle is also nice, we liked the cuisine. But if you still want some pizza you can go to the central square of the town, there’s a nice little restaurant. The personnel is very helpful and friendly. Special thanks to Nathali who helped to get back the stuff I left in the room leaving the hotel:)

Amazing views. Rustic accomodations, as one would expect. Food over-priced.
    • Stable Suite - Annex

Food was good but pricey for what is was. Wine selection could have been better.

Amazing view, this place should be in a museum. We had the dinner in the prison which was fun.

Unexpected experience
    • Suite - Villino Salimei Annex

Next time I will book this hotel at least for two night.

Castello Orsini is the place where you can feel as the king living in 1000 year old Castle. Thanks the staff for well preserved this nice place and welcome atmosphere in the hotel.

Trip of a lifetime!! Amazing location, staff, food and service! Bellissimo!!
    • French Style Single Room - Villino Salimei Annex

Nothing. The whole experience rates 10/10.

Out of this world!! We stayed here for a friend’s wedding and it was the most beautiful venue and location. Our room was in an annexe only yards from the castle walls, it was a lovely and intimate room full of character and history. We loved soaking up the incredible scenery and the wedding itself was fantastic. The food was simply superb, from the buffet after the ceremony, to the 4 course wedding breakfast and more-ish desserts! Delightful! The Castle arranged fireworks for the bride and groom which topped off an incredible day. Breakfast was also plentiful and catered for everyone, cereal, pastries, meats, tea etc etc. I loved every second of my time here and will definitely return. The hotel also arranged a taxi to and from the nearest train station (Fara Sabina) as we arrived from Rome via train. Filiberto was extremely helpful and his communication through email and telephone was excellent.

Best medieval castle getaway in Italy
    • Classic Double/Twin Room - Villino Salimei Annex

Toilets are tiny but you will find everything you need. They can be modernized slightly without losing too much of the medieval castle feel. Nothing else, this is still a 10+ rating hotel.

Perfect location for a vacation away from the city. It's an authentic castle and you will probably be amazed how beautifully they have maintained this place. The restaurant in the prison is beautiful. The breakfast was delicious and probably tasted the best coffee here. Definitely the best get away in Italy at a very reasonable price. This hotel has many common rooms/chambers to relax and connect with people. There's a piano and a pool table. The best part is the service and staff. They are super friendly and amazing. Will definitely visit again.

Amazing Hotel well worth the vist.
    • Castle Classic Double/Twin Room

The size of the showers.

The location was amazing with the most spectacular views. I would like to give te hotel a realistic review so you know what to expect. If arriving at the hotel by car, go to the 1st gate at the top of the hill, press the buzzer. We booked a Clasic room, it is a tad on the small side, but fine, my only real problem was the shower size. When I go back I will book a larger room. The furnishings are appropriate for the setting. Everything was not perfect, but remember we are in a 12th century castle, you are there to experience the history around you. We had dinner in the dining room and the food was amazing. the 2nd night order a pasta cabonara, (not on the menu) this and the scramble eggs were to me the best i have had.

one of the best expiriences if my life
    • Classic Double/Twin Room - Villino Salimei Annex

to be rated a 5 star would mean no room for improvement,and the bed and linens were like 2 star quality.

this is as authentic of a castle as possible.absolutely recommend to anyone.service was excellent,food was good.

Well we could pinpoint some things that we didn't like.
    • Classic Double/Twin Room - Villino Salimei Annex

Well we could pinpoint some things that we didn't like... But not sufficient to spoil the other things! The view is marvellous, the castle looks stunning, rooms are clean and you can have a great sleep. Food is good. Indeed is 5 star because of the setting. But it's a privilege to enjoy such a treat of a place.

A bit like visiting a slightly run-down theme park.
    • Superior Double/Twin Room - Stable Annex

Driving through Nerola and finding the property is tricky: very narrow roads and poor signage. The property seems geared for weddings, and feels a little tacky, almost like a theme park. Although booked for two, there was only one set of towels in the room. There was a bath, but we were not allowed to use it because of leaking pipes, which we found very frustrating. The staff responded to our concerns and (when requested to do so) gave us a complementary cocktail.

The best thing about this property is its history and architecture. It is fun and somewhat unusual to stay in a medieval castle. The evening meal was excellent, and the breakfast provided a lot of choice. Great views from the battlements.

• Castle Superior Double/Twin Room

Generally, the management seems not to care enough: Heating was not working the first night, I complained in the morning and they said it will be fixed. When we checked again on the second evening, it was still not working and only then they sent someone to fix it. The bathroom was stocked with just 1 piece of shower gel for 2 persons for 2 nights, I had to ask for more. Dinner at the restaurant was a disaster, small portions of mediocre quality. And you pay at check-out somewhat different rates for wine and desserts. The pool was under maintenance and unusable during our stay. This "hotel" has undergone 5* qualification which they do not comply with all the time. I've been to many 4* hotels of much better quality!

Interesting place to sleep over, nice views, there is this special feeling that you actually inhabit a real castle. Easy accessible by car from Rome and its airports. Breakfast was excellent quality, quantity and variety, opposing the dinner.

Fabulous
    • Stable Suite - Annex

It is a truly unique place to stay. Everything a medieval castle should be suit's of armour & swords so if you are looking for something different the castle is for you. If you want glitz and glamour forget it. The staff are truly amazing and nothing was to much trouble. It is a very peaceful place with mountains at the rear and very picturesque. Will hopefully visit again next year.

It is the life expereince to stay in a mid-evil castle with...
    • Superior Double/Twin Room - Villino Salimei Annex

Too many dislikes about the room and comfortness. It's worse than 30Euro guest house with it's broken toilet. We took our bath in another room for the first night. The owner just not maintain it properly. What a shame!

It is the life expereince to stay in a mid-evil castle with an acceptable price, but that's the only good side of it.

Most amazing time we had there.
    • Superior Double/Twin Room - Villino Salimei Annex

Most amazing time we had there. The view from our room wasn't a lot understandable as the money we were paying. However the view from the castle was absolutely breathtaking. We were sitting in the Jacuzzi drinking the wine watching the mountain. You could easily fall in love with anyone sitting next to you in that romantic environment 😂😂. Highly recommend it to couples who madly in love. We are planning to go there again next year and get a more expensive room. Every penny you spend there totally worth it!

Fantastic location on the top of a hill with excellent views.
    • Castle Suite

Wifi and plumbing were a bit dodgy, but probably just as a result of the difficulty in installing such things in a medieval castle and entirely forgivable given how spectacular the place is.

Fantastic location on the top of a hill with excellent views. Authentic medieval castle - an unusually brilliant hotel building. Food was tasty, staff were helpful.

Wonderful stay in a beautiful castle.
    • Suite - Villino Salimei Annex

Everything was good but it would be perfect if pool were open longer. The pool is open 11-19.

Wonderful stay in a beautiful castle. Delicious breakfast and coffee. Very kind staff and beautiful oldstyle rooms. The rooms were spacious and very nice bathroom. Beautiful views and lovely pool. Many places to rest in the castle. So sorry to left

Beatufil place.
    • Superior Double/Twin Room - Villino Salimei Annex

I would expect higher level of cleaness in bathroom. The room looked a bit untidy. Wifi out of range.

Beatufil place. Worth visiting. Very gentle and professional staff.

bad hotel
    • Classic Double/Twin Room - Villino Salimei Annex

this is not at all 5 stars hotel, it's 3 stars hotel maximum... the hotel gave us a terrible room with wetness, it was not possible to stay even 10 minutes in the room, and the location was bad. the swimming poor was dirty at not ready for swimming for all days of staying... WI-FI didn't worked, some strange water noise from the toilet room.

the pizza restaurant near the hotel was very nice.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Absolute rubbish in every respect!
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

There is nothing 5* about this hotel. It was difficult to find. Even when we got to the hotel there were no clear instructions to reception and no one to help with our luggage. The de luxe room was nothing of the kind. Inadequate space for clothing. A fridge that didn't work. A disgusting bathroom with mouldy shower cubicle, brown sanitary ware and hardly room to turn around. Although we were assured there was Wifi this only worked in the reception area. The food was poor with a limited choice of menu but still expensive. Restaurant staff were indifferent. On our second day, returning from a day in Rome, a large trolley of left over food was sitting outside the lift door to reception. Disgusting!! I was concerned that the room rate for this hotel seemed low for an establishment rated as 5*. My concerns were justified.

There was nothing likeable about this property

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

Beautiful Place and Fantastic Staff
    • Suite - Villino Salimei Annex

The bathroom, one English tv channel, wifi didn't work in most areas, unchanging menu. Difficult to get anywhere

The castle itself, the room, the staff were excellent

if you want to live for a night in Middle Ages
    • Castle Suite

wardrobe inside the room not comfortable, noisy air conditioning, shower not comfortable, internet not properly working

wonderful castle atmosphere, fantastic position, room in style, view from the room, restaurant inside with well prepared people and delicious food, good breakfast, garden and swimming pool

a rare experience
    • Stable Suite - Annex

so much atmosphere, the location and hotel is very special. when i first arrived i thought it was not a hotel but a tourist attraction. because it is actually a 10th century castle it is quirky in its vast complicated layout - once you know where you are going its fine. staff are extraordinarily helpful and friendly - i had a really big bag and i am grateful to their was someone to assist with it up all the steps and stairways

Il posto è meraviglioso, da sogno, soprattutto per un gruppo...
    • Suite

Le (pochissime) pecche di questa struttura, secondo me, risiedono nella trascuratezza di alcuni dettagli tipo un paio di buchi sul rivestimento del divano o i buchi degli stop sulle mattonelle del bagno o ancora, il phon infilato alla bell'e meglio sul porta asciugamani, oltre a qualcosa di più macroscopico come il vecchio frigo e il vecchio condizionatore che sono veramente antiestetici per un 5 stelle, mentre i sanitari del bagno (color marrone) danno un'idea di sporco pur essendo puliti. Sia chiaro, io ci tornerei anche domani se mi fosse possibile, tanto mi sono trovata bene. Se le cose che ho esposto venissero sistemate e rimodernate, secondo me sarebbe semplicemente perfetto.

Il posto è meraviglioso, da sogno, soprattutto per un gruppo di nerd come noi che desideravano da tempo di poter trascorrere una giornata in un vero castello. Lo staff è gentilissimo e professionale; il castello è talmente bello che si potrebbe passare il tempo nella sala da ballo ad ascoltare musica senza fare altro. L'atmosfera è veramente di altri tempi, senza però rinunciare al comfort. Ottima anche la cena nel ristorante interno, prezzi adeguati ad un cinque stelle. Squisita pure la colazione. Noi avevamo la suite e c'erano: due televisori, il frigo bar, il condizionatore e il wi-fi. Ampio spazio interno per il parcheggio.

You feel like a real princess or knight in this impressive castle with Beautiful surrounding
    • Suite - Villino Salimei Annex

In summertime often weddings (garden and bar reserved)

Beautiful castle Views are wonderfull

Loved it and a good breakfast
    • Classic Double/Twin Room - Villino Salimei Annex

Great place to stay unbelievable building and situation loved it

Spacious rooms, great service and food
    • Suite - Villino Salimei Annex

No wifi in the room (outer castle)

Spacious rooms, great service and food

The medieval atmosphere, possibility to exolore the castle

The medieval atmosphere, possibility to exolore the castle

Exellent value for the money

WIFI

The castle is excellent , the rooms are outstanding , the views are gorgeous but wifi didn't work

Nice place.

Nice place.

Great stay
    • Superior Double/Twin Room - Villino Salimei Annex

The restaurant and food was excellent.
    • Castle Superior Double/Twin Room

Being 83 found the bedroom rather difficult - bathroom being on different floor to bed.

The restaurant and food was excellent.

Brilliant !
    • Superior Double/Twin Room - Stable Annex

Excellent service from all members of staff. Lovely pool Outstanding location with panaromic views.Relaxing atmosphere.

Very unique property.

Very unique property.

Great location at the top of a mountain, 1 hour from Rome.
    • Classic Double/Twin Room - Villino Salimei Annex

Great location at the top of a mountain, 1 hour from Rome. Castle is incredible! Breakfast and Staff were lovely.

Fantastic historical place- “ Living in museum”.
    • Captain's Suite

Fantastic historical place- “ Living in museum”. Candle light dinner was absolute romantic..

We love everything!

We love everything! It was an amazing experience. Great place, great stuff and great food!!! Will highly recommend it.

The castle is magnificent and the breakfast is great

The rooms are not 5*

The castle is magnificent and the breakfast is great

The castle itself is magnificent, the breakfast is great

the rooms are not 5* definitely

The castle itself is magnificent, the breakfast is great

Castle is real 😊

Castle is real 😊 Very rare accomodation. Awesome place👍

That small Pets are not allowed.
    • Suite Tower East

That small Pets are not allowed. Water in the outside pool was very cold.

The breakfast buffet was fabulous!
    • Superior Double/Twin Room - Borghetto Annex

The breakfast buffet was fabulous!

Nice staff and beautiful castle

Nice staff and beautiful castle

Great castle stay

No complaints !!!

All the of it. Great staff, outstanding food. Real medieval castle...

Really nice people over there.
    • Superior Double/Twin Room - Villino Salimei Annex

Really nice people over there. Nice view. Good service. We will come back to stay there. When we have baby.

Must visit
    • Superior Double/Twin Room - Stable Annex

The location and the surrounding are amazing

Relaxing atmosphere

Relaxing atmosphere

Must visit

Very small bathroom

The location is amazing with a breathtaking view. The breakfast was excellent with various food.

The view, breakfast
    • Superior Double/Twin Room - Borghetto Annex

The toilet seat was not clean.

The view, breakfast

1st yeae wedding anniverasary
    • Superior Double/Twin Room - Borghetto Annex

Beautiful setting with beautiful views

Romantic night in a castle
    • Suite Tower North

Very nice stay in genuine castle with great restaurant

One in a lifetime experience in a truly magnificent medival castle in lovely area.

None.

Magical experience. Best value for money. Affordable prices. Recommend staying in the main castle.

Historical site
    • Suite - Villino Salimei Annex

Far from city of Rome, 1 hour driving.

Historical site

Interesting place, if you are a pilgrim it's a climb
    • Basic Single Room

Annoying noises in the room

Staff and food

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

paradiso

niente

wonderfull place...to try one time in the life...

Figo

Staff splendido

Fairytale

Amazing location

Beautiful place, good food.
    • Superior Double/Twin Room - Villino Salimei Annex

The location and atmosphere was super. Breakfast/Dinner was great and the staff was very nice. Very nice bathroom.

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

A beautifull night in the castle
    • French Style Single Room - Borghetto Annex

Extraordinary location, very nice personal, good food, a lot of history inside. I will come back.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

Great Castle accommodation
    • Suite

Great suite in a very impressive 10th century castle

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

La location suggestiva

La location suggestiva

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Real castle, a bit of an uplift of the room is needed to meet 5star expectations
    • Castle Classic Double/Twin Room

broken bathrooms and shower nizzles

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Castel
    • French Style Single Room - Borghetto Annex

i think the bathroon is lillte closet

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

Location affascinante
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Location meravigliosa, affascinante

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

I'd recommend this hotel in a heartbeat.
    • Classic Double Room

The castle is amazing and the staff were extremely helpful.

• Reviewed: 3 January 2016

6.0
    Wonderful location, views, and fabulous old castle

Very poor tiny bedroom with tiny window and small uncomfortable bathroom. Good food but slow service

Wonderful location, views, and fabulous old castle

There are also 18 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Castello Orsini Hotel traveller photo gallery