Reviews of Hotel Centro 2 stars

Via dei Ginori 17, San Lorenzo, 50123 Florence, Italy

#353 of 392 hotels in Florence

• Reviewed: 28 September 2018

Perfect location in the heart of Florence

Changing towels cost 2.5 € and bed sheets every 3 days. Housekeeping threw all my invoices in the trash so I wasn’t able to change some goods or make the tax refund at the airport. Set of keys to open the doors from 20:00 to 08:00.

Perfect location in the heart of Florence Very very friendly staff Cozy room and very clean

In general it's a great pace to stay for a couple nights. Thank you!
    • Superior Double or Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

They didn't have the iron, the room was very small

The staff was very nice and provided me with almost everything I needed (except the iron:)). The room was very clean and nice.

Easy, comfy and clean accommodation in perfect location.
    • Superior Quadruple Room

no breakfast :) but there are a couple of very nice places within 50 metres so that's fine. Maybe a kettle or a fridge in the rooms would help improve comfort. The telly didn't seem to work but that's a bonus (trying to get kids off screens).

Very convenient next to the centre and San Lorenzo market square, which we love for restaurants, and not noisy despite central position. Staff is friendly and let us leave our luggage before check in and after check out and use common bathroom when we left the luggage. Room was a good size, recently renovated with comfy beds and nice bathroom.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

Great location, near central station and central market.

Its a little noisy at night. No 24hr staff. Elevator sometimes doesnt work.

Location, near central market. Walking distance to almost everything. There are restaurants downstairs, gelato shop.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Lift was not working

Lift was not working Reception was not 24/7 Reception provided some set of key to open the main door but we could not open at late night. later entered to hotel when someone open from inside.

Very nice and calm hotel, very close to city center.
    • Quadruple Room

One of the individual bed was not so good but the others were really nice. The outside elevator only works up to the first floor, so if you need to go to the second floor with bags you go throw the stair or you need to walk in the first floor and change elevator.

Very nice and calm hotel, very close to city center. The room was really good with AC available. The bathroom was spacious and well cleaned.

Very homely-feeling hotel which enhanced our enjoyment whilst we were in Florence.

The location was tricky to navigate initially, but we were able to find it after some time. Of course, it's just the way the streets were in Florence, so no complaint to the hotel. When we got there, the lift was not working from the ground floor, and we had quite a few luggage to take upstairs. It was fixed eventually, and it wasn't a big issue in the first place.

The hotel was very nice with welcoming staff. Initial impressions were good and there was no major issues throughout our stay. The rooms were of good size and clean with a decent-sized shower room within. The beds were comfortable and we had no problems sleeping in them.

Everything was perfect !
    • Superior Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Everything was perfect ! We enjoyed our stay at Hotel Centro which is right in the center of Florence and near many places of interest. The staff was absolutely lovely ! I recommand this place 100%!!!

Location is the key point for this hotel.

Definitely it’s not children friendly. Due the bad positioning of light switches and the toilets flush actuators kids could not access it. Bathrooms are so small and the hair dryer was not working. There are a lack of power chargers in the room. After 8pm we need to “climb” to the second floor without elevators (elevator could not fit 3 persons). When I decided for this hotel, looking the photos and hotel descriptions all of this issues couldn’t be identified ! The last and more important for me was the fact that the breakfast described in the hotel description is something that didn’t exist. The hotel don’t have any kitchen. (They offered a service in another place and it should be paid outside my reservation). Still part of this problem, if you need a fork or a simple glass to drink something in your room, it cannot be provided.

Location is the key point for this hotel. Staff is also great, they were open and polite when trying to reduce my frustration with the hotel facilities

Huge disappointment

The room was full of dead and alive mosquitoes, dead were stuck on the walls everywhere. The floor was dirty, there were no facilities, the clerk didn't show us to our rooms, there was a permanent food smell in the air, the double bed was two beds put on one base so it moved and seperated a lot. Wouldn't call this place a hotel, more like a hostel.

Very close to the city center, also means very noisy late at night.

Location is the main facility.

The disposition of the bathroom in room was terrible. Two sliding doors (in front of the beds) without hasp and also a very narrow bathroom. Sitting on the toilet was a real odyssey! Our knees hit the wall. There was a ceiling fan but no conditioned air: Indispensable for summer. We could’t left window open because the street noise.

Location is the main facility.

The location was great!
    • Quintuple Room (5 Adults)

If you booked because yo saw some nice pictures with really modern rooms be sure you booked a room on the first floor! It looks new and cool design. The second floor is old, with old furniture and not nice, clean tough. Also there was something weird, our reservation was for 5 people because that was the option available even though we were 4, when we got there and the person in charge realize we were 4 she change our room. The room was smaller than the one in the picture !!! And we didn’t get anything back.

The location was great! In the middle of everything

Location is good.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The room is bit smaller.

Location is good. 1euro shop is just opposite to the hotel. So you can buy many things at lesser price. Location is good near to main tourist attractions. Also train station is nearby just in walking distance.

Location was really good.
    • Quadruple Room

Photos on the web are very misleading. Our first room was a family room for 4 but was really bad. Far too small and the beds were very uncomfortable. Bathroom was tiny and you could not change in it. Fortunately the lady in charge changed our room which was much better. Beds comfortable.

We were in superior triple room.
    • Superior Triple Room

We were in superior triple room. very comfortable, everything is new inside and very clean. Very, very nice staff. we were here for 3 nights. Every day they cleaned up the room air-conditioner :)

Peffect place to stay, but without auto
    • Superior Triple Room

It is not so easy to get in the center and very difficult to find parking, even in private garage - everything was full. One night costed 36 euro and we were lucky to find a place for auto.

A perfect location in the heart of Florence. Everything in in 5-10 min by foot. The room is clean and very nice.

1) The receptionist, if you arrive at night there will be some angry guy. 2) the bathroom, the door didn't even close 3) the stairs, the elevator didn't work. 4) ITS TOO EXPENSIVE for what you are getting, not worth it believe me.

Great location, good price, nice staff and petfriendly with no extra charge

We were in superior double room - very comfortable, everything is new inside and very, very clean. Very nice staff suggested us what to visit - sights, local restaurants, they gave us a map. The location is in very nice street with a few good restaurants. We were with our dog (medium size) - no extra charge. Warm recommendation!

Food market nearby

Extremely small bathroom. Diminutive shower stall. Broken toilet seat. Ceiling fan didn't work. Had to sleep with the window half open and the noise from the street woke us up several times. To be fair, the man at the desk offered to change the room but my wife wasn't feeling well and she decided not to move. It was only one more night.

Food market nearby

Nice place

The elevator doesn't reach the second floor directly, and it have to many stairs, it's located near some bars, so it gets nossy at night,. And the window doesn't close properly.

Confy beds, good wifi, nice bathroom, clean, perfect location

TERRIBLE............BAD CONDITIONS HOTEL......ARE NOT THE SAME ROOMS YOU CAN SEE IN THE PICTURES!!!
    • Economy Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Terrible! My partner and I had booked a double room with private external bathroom. First of all when we arrived, a receptionist treated us very badly. Second, the room had a hole under the sink, the light in the room was fused. Third, we paid in our reservation for a private bathroom and when we got there the bathroom door was open, we went in to check the bathroom and it was actually used full of hairs .. The receptionist told us in bad way that this bathroom was also It was being used by other guests. This was terrible. I wrote an e-mail a few days ago requesting the refund of my money since the reservation did not meet the agreed conditions. No one from the hotel has answered me yet. I DON NOT recommend this hotel at all. The photographs that appear on the booking page at the time of making the reservation are NOT identified with the room and the deductible conditions that it is. DONT BOOK!

Receommnded
    • Quadruple Room

Room and bathroom was small and beds also. Elevator only half way. Housekeeping should be everyday.

Location was very nice, close to everything. walking distance from central station.

The location is near the centre of Florence, and there are...

It is so noise at night, there are people shouting at 1am down the hotel and inside the room we can listen clearly even we closed the window. The facility is too limited, there are no hot water bottle.

The location is near the centre of Florence, and there are many restaurants near it.

The place was under construction when I went, but there were...
    • Economy Double Room with Private External Bathroom

The place was under construction when I went, but there were no noise issues, thank goodness. The place had smoking and non-smoking rooms. The hallways still smelled very much like cigarettes. I would suggest getting your private bathroom. Our room sink had a big whole behind it. Overall it was clean, but a bare minimum hotel. What I would have excepted for 37 Euro, cheap.

Close to the city centre
    • Economy Double Room with Private External Bathroom

We had not been warned beforehand that we could not use the hotel elevator from the first to the second floor. I am a semi-invalid and cannot drag my suitcase or backpack up and down stairs. I was told I could use this elevator from 8 till 20 hrs, but often the receptionist had already left in the evening after 18 hrs and even if he or she were there, the elevator had not been activated so my travelling companion had to go to down to the first floor and ask the receptionist to switch it on. The rooms were not sound proof, other guests were loud in the hall and in their rooms at all times and people outside made a lot of noise even in the early morning hours. Some guests were smoking in their rooms, although it was forbidden. You could not open the windows, although it was very hot sometimes and the radiator had no knob to turn it down, because of the mosquitos. The shower curtain was way too short. The beds and pillows were excellent.

Close to the city centre

I never stayed at a Hotel this bad in my life.

Please see comment above for BAD HOTEL

I never stayed at a Hotel this bad in my life. We should not have selected this hotel. It is a tricky hote. We should not have been booked this hotel. It is the worst hotel. Staff Nd owner not responsible and unable to solve problems. They did not arrange the room as we booked and confirmed by email. We stayed in one rrom on arrival and then had to pack again and leave our property in the lobby area to be moved to another room. The first room on the first night had problemwith the hair drier--it did not work. The second room where theymoved us on our second night was worse. The shower had just a half door panel and we had to wait 20 to 30 minutes for the water to get hot and the water came out like a rat urination. The shower head holder was broken so it couldn't hold the shower head. The toilet flush was broken. One light bulb on the bathroom ceiling was blown out. We did not get what we paid for. When we asked for a reimbursement they flatly denied it. We can't believe booking.com keeps this hotel on the list and have customers suffer throughout a stay. STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL.

The staff was helpful and the room was spacious.

The shower flooded our room if we took longer than a 2 minute shower.

The staff was helpful and the room was spacious. Location was great - Right by excellent restaurants.

Economic stay at a wonderfully location, with kind staff--perfect for a brief secure visit alone

Very small lifts, but there are lifts so no worries about lugging suitcases up three floors. The bathroom was very small and the placement of the small sink (urinal? footbath? not sure what it's for) between the toilet and the shower was awkward. Also my shower was missing an entire panel so it never closed properly; I had to shower with a towel on the floor to clean up any spills from my shower. Lack of air condition in a Florence heat wave is also not ideal, but is a normal expectation of many of the economy hotels and residents in the area. The window curtains weren't actually large enough to cover the window. Mosquito nets would also be a huge bonus so one could leave the window open in the hot summer nights without risk of being eaten up. I wished the overhead fan was stronger as well. Also be very clear about when and how you pay; I ran into a miscommunication in which when I checked in I was told I'm paying for both nights, but on my second night they said they only took payment for the first night. Also be mindful of Italy's "people tax" 2.50 per person per night, not per room!

The Wi-Fi was strong, the staff was very kind, they had free luggage holding (not sure about how secure it is, though I didn't run into any problems). The location is excellent and very easy to move from, with a mini-market directly next door (great for convenience but a little overpriced for the area in my opinion). You get what you pay for and for an economic hotel it's great for if you need a place to keep your things and to sleep; not luxury in any sense but if you're spending all your time in Florence you won't be bothered by the little things. The rooms were kept clean as well, with a nice turnover done everyday around midday.

Awful, old, uncomfortable

Room was awful. Very old, bed was hard with springs and uncomfortable. Bathroom was not very clean and the shower was almost in the sink. If in Florence there are many other places to stay that are a lot better.

Location is good, in the city centre.

Very bad. Good we were there only one night
    • Quadruple Room

No internet in the room. Expensive, charging 127.5 euro for less than 24 hours. Thanks god we were there only one night. The worth place that i was there.

Only location was almost good.

Clean, but loud noise from street and crammed room
    • Economy Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

We booked the economy triple room that has a shared bathroom with other rooms - which is not specifically mentioned while you're booking the accommodation. They gave us a different room with a private bathroom (not attached - outside the room) but the room was very crammed for three people. It is obnoxiously loud all night and even until 5 in the morning because the rooms are street facing and there are people screaming downstairs all night but it is too hot to keep the window closed.

Very clean. Great location.

Stayed there for a night so not so much of comments I have.
    • Quadruple Room

AC wasn't working, we compalined about it but the receptionist said he can't do anything about until morning. We somehow managed one night.

Stayed there for a night so not so much of comments I have. Location of the hotel is quite good.

Great location, friendly and helpful staff

2 Star property and this was not mentioned on your site. We paid extra on arrival and upgraded to an air conditioned larger room. No refrigerator, no coffee making facilities, serviced every second day, limited toiletries.

Great location, friendly and helpful staff

It's a TRAP!
    • Economy Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

We booked the "economy triple room". It simply does NOT fit 3 people - and I am talking about 3 small females. It can barely fit two people comfortably. There's no space for luggage or to simply stand in the room. The room had only a ceiling fan, which was noisy and inefficient. The walls were stained, the cleanliness was questionable. Room service was untidy and only replaced toiletries once during the 3 days we were there. The bathroom was not cleaned during our entire stay, and no towels or sheets were replaced. The staff treated us poorly the entire time. We asked to upgrade the room, since we accidentally booked a room with a bathroom outside the bedroom. They told us they would handle it the next day, since the attendant at the night shift apparently didn't have authority to change any reservations, and all the rooms were full - at least that's what they told us. The manager didn't want to change our room because we would need to exchange rooms during our stay, so he just didn't do anything. They charged us in advanced, as we got to the hotel, and not when we checked out as I'm used to doing in all other hotels I've stayed. After realizing the poor quality of the hotel, I understood why. I asked for my money back, and the manager said it was impossible. The breakfast was shameful. Nothing fresh, limited coffee and very limited options of food. There's no secure place to leave your luggage after you check out. All the bags are left in an open space next to the "lobby". The elevator that gets you form the street level to the first floor (where the hotel lobby is) is extremely small. If you're in 2 people with luggage, take the stairs or make 2 trips with the elevator. The elevator inside the hotel is also very small.

The location was the only good thing about this hotel.

The guy at reception was very friendly and nice.
    • Economy Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

We booked a room for 3 people but the beds were all packed together and there was no space to move or to fit our suitcases. That was very disappointing

The guy at reception was very friendly and nice.

• Economy Double Room with Private External Bathroom

The photos are deceiving. The room was small - the size of the bed in length. It is true that they cleaned the room every day, but at the bathroom (which was in common with other rooms) was not always properly cleaned and it had a bad odor. They didn't properly explained that the bathroom was in common with others and when I got there they told me the breakfast was not included but they advertised that it was. To be fair it wasn't a big loss because the breakfast was poor and they were asking 25 Euro per day per person - which is outrageous considering the fact that you can eat for 10 Euro per 2 persons even at the fanciest bar. But the thing that was absolutely annoying was the speed of the internet. A broken dial-up connection would have been faster. And all I was trying to do was to send some messages/ photos through Hangouts... One of the guys at the reception was friendly enough but the other two... one seemed he didn't know what he was doing and the other wasn't really accommodating us or other members - was trying to get rid of us. I don't recommend this hotel for long trips - only for maximum 1 night, if you have no other choice.

It is a 3 min walk from the Duomo and Capela Medice. They cleaned the room every day.

Really nice staff and great location.

You have to ring the bell and for someone to open the front door every time (!) you want to enter the hotel/ your room, even in the night or early morning. This was really annoying and i felt watched at.

Really nice staff and great location.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

Very well located with a reasonably large room.

Tiny bathroom. Very slow wifi. A little sloppy with easily fixable details, such as the bathroom faucet and a broken ceiling fan. A beautiful window to the (noisy) street could have some sound isolation.

Very well located with a reasonably large room.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Good place for a short stay..

Bathroom quite small The rooms needs "a little maintenance"

Strategic position near to the cathedral in the centre of Florence Very very kind staff

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Great value for money

The weather!

This is a very simple hotel. But hotels in Florens are very expensive so value for money this hotel is excellent. Clean and great location! The old man running it is special but that's just part of Italy!

WORST WORST WORST WIFI EVER

The worst worst worst wifi I have ever met in hotels. Can only barely connect when I sit at the door. Very noisy from people outside the building.

Room is comfortable.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

• Economy Double Room with Private External Bathroom

The evening staff smoked in the hotel and we could smell it from our room. Also, the bathroom wasn't comfortable, and not that clean. The WiFi didn't reach our room, so we had to sit in the lounge.

The location was great. Right in the center next to an amazing lactose free gelato.

• Reviewed: 12 October 2018

Rooms didn't look as pictured

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

This hotel is central but extremely basic with very average...
    • Superior Double or Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

This hotel is central but extremely basic with very average bathroom facilities

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

2 person lift, had to takes turns to bring luggage up to the...

2 person lift, had to takes turns to bring luggage up to the room. Bathroom / shower is very small, planned awkward.

The room was recently renovated.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The room was recently renovated. It is comfortable and stylish. The location was perfect!

• Economy Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Over priced facilies wete very poor. Hair dryer broken room very basic

Excellent location in Florence

Fairly basic hotel in terms of decoration.

However the location is fantastic. It's right in the center and just minutes from most of the sights.

Great hotel position and comfortable family room for 5 people
    • Quintuple Room (5 Adults)

The way to the hotel is quite creepy at night

Great hotel position and comfortable family room for 5 people

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Old hotel

Good location Helpful staff

Liked the place and would stay there again.
    • Superior Double Room with Shared Bathroom

There was mold in the shower.

The continental breakfast was superb!

Great Location!

Location was PERFECT!

Hotel is located in the city center

Hotel is located in the city center

old property, clean but dingy, good location
    • Economy Double Room with Private External Bathroom

needs updating. Bathroom across the hall, room very small

old property, clean but dingy, good location

One key per room? Not good for groups.

One key per room? Not good for groups.

Some street noise at night, but otherwise great.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Some street noise at night, but otherwise great. Convenient location, close to many hip looking organic restaurants.

perfect location

a little bit noisy

perfect location

The guy was nice!
    • Economy Double Room with Private External Bathroom

The bed had springs stabbing up through the sheets, the sink didnt drain, it was loud and somewhat dirty.

The guy was nice!

Excellent central base to explore Florence old town

Excellent central location

A very decent room, excellent location, very safe
    • Economy Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

It was a bit noisy at night (not the hotel but the street below)

A very decent room, excellent location, very safe

Not recommended
    • Economy Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Rooms were cold and not big enough

Location and staff were one of the few good things

Rooms are smaller than in photos, Gets Hot in the room, toilet is really small

Staff was friendly, Wifi is strong

great location!

Everything was perfect. The rooms are smaller than they appear in the photos but the cleanliness and the location are excellent.

Comfortable

Room was a bit small

mosquito makes me annoying.
    • Quadruple Room

mosquito makes me annoying. No electric kettle provided. Equipments are really basic.

Good balance money-location

Our window was not working and we couldn't open it

Location and staff availability

Not bad
    • Economy Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

We paid using booking and on arrival they asked us to pay again saying they didn't charge.

Perfekt place to city center, expensive additional...
    • Quadruple Room

Working light on escape route stairwell

Perfekt place to city center, expensive additional carparking, nice people, 1-2 stars

Nice staff, spacious room with comfortable beds.
    • Economy Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

The swimming pool was a little dirty.

Spacious room with comfortable beds.

Location was perfect.
    • Quadruple Room

Sometimes there was noise from outside. It didn't have double glazed glasses.

Location was perfect. Staff was ok.

Staff was really nice and location is very good.

My window did not close properly and the street was very noisy (late night and early morning).

Staff was really nice and location is very good.

Comfortable and convenient.
    • Economy Double Room with Private External Bathroom

The shared bathroom was a bit odd but was fine as no one else was using it!

Comfy bed and great location! Good value. Staff were friendly.

disappointing