Reviews of Covo dei Saraceni 4 stars

#7 of 12 hotels in Polignano a Mare

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Hi there
    • Queen Room with Spa Bath - Annex

Hi there We checked in for one night, when going to use our room and spa bath (something extra we paid for). Nothing worked in the feature, the water also came out brown. We called receptions to ask what was wrong and were told we should leave our room for an hour or so. Not ideal before a very special meal we had booked in for 8pm for my partners birthday. We decided to go over tot he hotel and have a cocktail by the sea view whilst we had to wait, but this was not possible either. In the end my we didn't bother coming back to our room and didn't get a chance to enjoy any of the aspects of the hotel we booked it for. On checking out, no one asked how our stay was or apologised. When we asked to book a taxi for the evening we were almost told off for not doing it sooner and it all seemed a bit of trouble being there rather than a pleasant exchange and process.

Strategic location!

Nothing everything was perfect

Everything! Location was unbeliavably perfect! We stayed in a separate building away from the main hotel and it was right near the stairs that bring you to Cala Monachile! Customer service was spot on. Room was clean, large and with an amazing view. I was a bit concerned about the reviews about this hotel but after staying here I cannot be more satisfied about my choice. We will definitely be back!

Do your homework before booking
    • Double Room - Annex

I found a mix with the staff, but overall, my first experience was lasting. I do not like being condescended to by anyone, but even less by hotel staff. Also, if like me, you filter for parking... buyer beware. The parking is not on site. Ultimately it is not terribly far away, but if you have to walk, there are other hotels you might consider. Also, the staff was not interested in really assisting me with getting what I wanted, so much as telling me that I couldn't have it, or that I was wrong, mistaken, etc... Well, that is not entirely fair, the young Pakistani guy is a real go getter, but the lady behind the desk was your typical Italian with a contract job... completely useless and plenty protected enough not to care. Unfortunately, I think she poorly represents her colleagues, and actively steps on their attempts to be courteous and helpful. Also, be aware, not all rooms have a sea view (Review carefully as they do make this information available when booking, but be sure BEFORE you book) Also, if your room does not have a sea view, or terrace, some al la carte in room services are not available, such as massages. I would not completely recommend against staying here, but I would advise you to do your homework before booking. Especially if you use booking.com. Once they have the excuse, they will direct you to booking for everything.

The breakfast room has a nice view, and the food is among what I have found to be top tier in Italy, which is to say simple, but tasty, food. The air conditioning, water pressure, and mattress were all satisfactory.

The amazing view from the terrace, the location in the city,...
    • Double Room - Separate Building

A bit old hotel due to the historical building, restaurant overrated - good but not great

The amazing view from the terrace, the location in the city, staff very gentle and available

Classic Italian elegance without any ostentation.
    • Classic Double Room - Annex

Classic Italian elegance without any ostentation. Staff were wonderful. The room was clean and well appointed. Great location, five minute walk to the main part of town. Exactly what I was expecting.

Terrific location.

Quibbles - a sign from the main street pointing to the hotel would be helpful. We knew we were close but had to park and ask for directions to the hotel. Also, it would be good to have tea and coffee making facilities in the room.

Terrific location. Our room had three terraces overlooking the sea and the ravine. Very friendly and helpful staff. Good breakfast, again wonderful view of the sea.

Amazing and we would love to return.

I struggled a bit with the small lift as I have a wheelchair, however we managed and it really isn't a negative. The staff helped us.

We had beautiful room with 3 balconies overlooking the sea. The staff were wonderful, the cleaners excellent and everyone was very friendly and helpful.The Il Bastione restaurant was fantastic. The setting and the food were great.

Great overnight break

Asked for air conditioner to be dropped to 20 at reception and was told that was done, however during the night the air conditioner stopped being operational. Not very comfortable in the room over night. Breakfast was difficult for 2 people who have an issue with stairs

Check in very smooth, needs better signage at the corner. Had an issue with the shower, partner is big and couldn't get past the door into the shower, a swing door would be better, however when I asked could they remove the sliding door they did and all was brilliant.

The food was total amazing!

We stayed in room 310. That room should be totally redone!! The bathroom was very old fashioned. The bathroom was a total disaster. There was a tub with a shower. They had no shower curtain. The water went all over the floor. I found that to be totally unacceptable and very dangerous. Had to hold on to the sink to get in and out of the shower. It was a total nightmare.

The food was total amazing!!

If you want a classy hotel with excellent customer service come here

No complaints at all

Everything The hotel is right at the sea The staff were so helpful and friendly. Everything was explained to me as my luggage was brought to my room. I had a view of the sea from my balcony. A beautiful breakfast room and many things to choose fron

Find somewhere else.

The front desk staff were cold and unfriendly, they looked down thier nose at you. I booked 8 months in advance and they refused to give me the room I booked. They tried to put me in another building. They need to learn to be professional and warm and friendly, not snooty. It's a real letdown as it's a fantastic location. Such a shame. Wouldn't stay again.

Fantastic location and the breakfast staff were very friendly and helpful. Great location.

Very disappointed in the size of the shower in the room
    • Classic Double Room

We were so disappointed with the size of the shower in the room. I am not great in tight spaces and the shower was the smallest I have ever been in and I have travelled extensively. I did ask the hotel if there was anything they could do to help me with regards to this as there wasn't a bath in the room but they couldn't help me. It was even hard to bend down to pick up the soap, really bad. The staff were not very helpful or friendly.

Location and views were beautiful.

Not worth it, so disappointing
    • Classic Double Room (1 Adult)

We stayed for part of our honeymoon and couldn't have been more disappointed. Although all of the cove rooms were sold out (several months in advance), we were told we would have a sea view, which we were fine with. We emailed three months in advance to confirm this, and then a week before to confirm again, explaining both times that it was our honeymoon and we would like a splendid view as we had been promised. When we arrived, we were given a small, shabby first floor room right above the parking lot. Our view was cars and the roof of the restaurant below. It was tacky, noisy, and very disappointing, given correspondence and the website photos. We asked to change room several times and were told there was nothing that could be done, despite our previous emails. Aside from that, the room was tiny and the shower so small one normal sized adult could barely shower without knocking into the walls. We also asked if we could have a drink on the patio to at least enjoy the view. We were told it wasn't open until summer (it was June...).. There are more charming places to stay on the coast in southern Italy. Overall, this was a massive disappointment. Overpriced for what it is. Try somewhere else.

Breakfast was decent, the town fine, although very touristy.

Nice staff in a slightly run down property

The rooms are now below standard. Very old furniture. Our "oven view room" really had a view of the car park. Investment needed.

Great staff and good breakfast

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

Nice hotel in great location.
    • Classic Double Room - Annex

Wifi kept kicking us out. Didn't like having to use separate logins for each device. Also, seems like hotel guests should not be charged a cover charge at the hotel restaurant. And the coffee was burnt our first day at breakfast.

Location was great, and the Bastion Restaurant was very good. Nice updated rooms, but rather small.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

Impressive Hotel with Great Service
    • Classic Double Room - Annex

The only gripe I have concerns the hotels WiFi. In our room it was impossible to maintain a connection as the signal kept dropping out every 5 minutes. In today's connected world, this definitely reduced my enjoyment of this otherwise great hotel.

Fantastic high-end hotel. The hotel is situated in a perfect location with wonder views. The rooms are top quality and the service is top notch. The attached restaurant is also worthy of high praise.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

Breakfast was good and the staff were very helpful.
    • Classic Double Room - Annex

The bathroom was a little bit small

Breakfast was good and the staff were very helpful. The location was beautiful and we could see the sea from our room. It was a very short walk to the beach and to the town centre.

Nice location close to the old town and to the beach.

Uncomfortable bed and pillows. Staff are not very helpful, when we asked for lunch recommendations the "concierge" only managed to mention the most turistic place in town. Breakfast was mediocre at best. We stayed for two nights in the suite which was modern and new but came back a week after for one night and stayed in a "superior" room, which was old, terribly distributed and somewhat dirty. The bathroom didn't have a proper shower (only a bathtub with no curtain).

Nice location close to the old town and to the beach. If you manage to book the suite (307) for a good price, it's worth it, otherwise you can probably find a better value for your money.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

Would definitely stay again in the future

Breakfast was always the same. More local and varied foods would have been better. Huge verandah but no outside seats and table.

Beds very comfortable. Staff very friendly. Views excellent.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

EXCELLENT location, bathrooms require attention

The shower went from scalding hot with no pressure to cool with great pressure every 20 seconds. The hairdryer was an absolute joke - fell apart and couldn't dry my thin hair in less than 20 minutes when it did work.

View from Superior or better room is amazing

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

- Good location
    • Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

- Good location - the view from the restaurant is wonderful

Unbelievable city and sea view
    • Double Room with Sea View

Lovely restaurant and delicious breakfast!!

Unbelievable city and sea view

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Room was beautiful.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

The restaurant was a bit of a disappointment. Quite overpriced and the service wasn’t great either.

Room was beautiful. Incredible views from balcony.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Location, staff were helpful

Location, staff were helpful

Great location, close to the beach, restaurants and bars.
    • Double or Twin Room with Balcony

Hotel’s WiFi was poor especially in the rooms!!

Great location, close to the beach, restaurants and bars. Great breakfast!

Location unica

Location unica

Good all round hotel with parking in central Polignano.

Nothing in particular.

Comfortable hotel on cliff edge and close to old centre of Polignano.

• Classic Double Room - Annex

View from terrace, clean. Staff kindness

Confortevole weekend

Il manager alla reception gentile cortese professionale

Comfortable hotel in stunning location.
    • Classic Double Room - Annex

Excellent breakfast with stunning clifftop view. Hotel with character.

we had a wonderful stay
    • Classic Double Room

The breakfast wasn't all that good

beautiful place

The restaurant is excellent and staff is very attentive.
    • Classic Double Room

The Spa wasn’t really what could expect.

The restaurant is excellent and staff is very attentive.

Generous, delicious breakfast.

Generous, delicious breakfast. Charming, helpful staff. Fabulous room and view. Excellent bar & restaurant.

A location I would love to come back to!

Hard to think of any.

Good food, very comfortable beds, Fantastic location and friendly staff.

Welcoming and enjoyable

Excellent breakfast and venue

Views

Great location, great value

Everything was fantastic. However parking for car was far, about 200 metres

Friendly, welcoming, great breakfast and coffee!
    • Classic Double Room - Annex

Friendly, welcoming, great breakfast and coffee! Perfect for my short trip

Perfect position
    • Classic Double Room - Annex

Needs some loungers on the sun terrace

Perfect position

Great place to stay

Air conditioning could have been a little colder.

Right in the middle of Polignano, perfect location!
    • Classic Double Room

Parking was quite distant from the hotel.

Location, friendly staff.

Nice location, friendly staff, old furniture

Bathroom was small

Perfect

Perfect location, great restaurants

Wonderful hotel in best location

Amazing location

Exremely pleasant and relaxing experience

Rich breakfast buffet

Very nice stay.
    • Classic Double Room

Nice location in town. Close to everything.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

Location on the water

Nothing I didn't like

Location and large room

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

Location cannot be better, very nice hotel

Location cannot be better, very nice hotel

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

Really a wonderful place, excellent food and excellent courtesy
    • Classic Double Room - Annex

The breakfast was really good, fresh food, wild variety and extraordinary courtesy

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

Hotel room👎👎!

Hotel room👎👎!!!

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

Excellent restaurant with fantastic view over the cove.
    • Classic Double Room - Annex

Excellent restaurant with fantastic view over the cove. Nice room.

• Reviewed: 8 May 2016

Desk personnel ruined anything good out hotel

Mean staff at am desk that treated many of the Group with horrible unfriendly and very rude aggressive attitude

Desk personnel ruined anything good out hotel

• Reviewed: 5 May 2016

Location location location!

The room was noisy. We were waken at about 630 each morning by the sounds of doors banging, people going up and down the stairs and furniture scraping.

Location location location!

• Reviewed: 5 April 2016

The location is the best in Polignano a Mare!

The air conditioning is insufficient, we didn't want to open the windows at night and it was too warm in our room. There was no furniture on the balconies except 2 chairs on one of them (3 large empty balconies in total!) and that is very strange because obviously we wanted to sit outside and enjoy the sun and the views and may be a cup of coffee or a glass of wine!

The location is the best in Polignano a Mare! Our room was on the corner with three large balconies: one facing the beach and cliffs the other facing the sea and the third facing the square with Domenico Modugno Statue. The bed is comfortable, bathroom is clean a little bit outdated though but it was ok. Bathrobes and slippers provided. Parking is not free at the hotel, but free parking was provided for us only 5 min away.

• Reviewed: 17 November 2015

We felt so comfortable at check -in .

We felt so comfortable at check -in . It is an easy hotel to find, great location, great breakfast and extremely helpful staff(spoke English) They were also very helpful with finding spot to park our car.We had a beautiful room overlooking the sea and statue

• Reviewed: 10 November 2015

The location overlooking the sea but you need to make sure...

I had requested a room with a sea view & balcony, I booked a room in the annex which is a building across the road from the main hotel. When we checked in I enquired about the sea view to be told that room had a lateral Seaview. I needed to stretch my neck to look up the street to see a glimpse of the sea at end of street. I had to pay extra to upgrade to Superior room in main hotel building in order to get a room with full sea view.

The location overlooking the sea but you need to make sure you get a room to the seafront. The food in the restaurant was excellent with excellent service

• Reviewed: 27 October 2015

Standard rooms are claustrophobic. We upgraded to the next level, which was good, with a nice terrace. Bathroom was small and shower didn't function well. Erratic internet connection in room was frustrating.

Location. Very pleasant hotel environment. Acceptable breakfast.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2015

Location is perfect, but rooms are tiny and lack furniture:...

See above

Location is perfect, but rooms are tiny and lack furniture: no night tables, no chest of drawers, no place to put small pieces of clothing in a "superior room" -- we had to switch to a "suite" and pay 50% more

• Reviewed: 18 October 2015

Position very good.

Room too hot. Air Conditioning not working. Asked for three days and each day was promised it would be fixed. Safe did not work, again three days later the same. No one really bothered. The head waiter made my wife look like a total idiot because she wanted a primi course for a secondi. Totally unnessasary. I've been treated better in a transport cafe.

Position very good. Nice room. Food good.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2015

Beautiful view.

I paid 40E for parking for 2 nights before the hotel attendant told me the parking was free 24/7 30 feet away from the front door. Gee, I saved 40 Euro for the last 2 nights.

Beautiful view.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2015

-Location close to city center and on the best known bay of...

--Suite in the first level of the annexe was a very standard room with poor air conditioning. -very noisy surroundings on a Saturday evening with gathering of people all night long under our room window. -taking breakfast on the terrace requires a 10€/person supplement with the result of a beautiful but unnecessarily empty outside terrace.

-Location close to city center and on the best known bay of Polignano.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2015

The hotel is in a lovely location and we had a great lunch...

The hotel is wildly overpriced for somewhere so dated. The bed was too singles pushed together ... in a 'suite' that was definitely just a largish double.

The hotel is in a lovely location and we had a great lunch in the restaurant.

• Reviewed: 22 July 2015

The town was very interesting.

First impressions always count. On arrival the staff were not friendly or welcoming, and this continued for our stay. I asked if I could sit outside, perhaps have a drink on the terrace. Was told no the restaurant was closed. I could go to another area and they would arrange a sunbed for me. What a disappointment. The beds were put on a dirty terrace, (looked like it hadn't been finished), without a sun shade. We have driven round Italy for two weeks and this is the most disappointing hotel we have stopped in. What a shame for Italy. Every other hotel has been wonderful.

The town was very interesting.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2015

Our bedroom had three balconies all with fantastic views.

Our bedroom had three balconies all with fantastic views. Helpful staff and spotlessly clean. Beautiful dining room and breakfast room with great food.

• Reviewed: 27 June 2015

The location was excellent - perched on the cliff top and a...

A €5 pp cover charge in the restaurant was a sting in the tail to an otherwise good meal. Our suite (111) was very overpriced for what was a tiny room with small anteroom where we put our suitcases and a large but charmless terrace and pool. Very much a hotel for tour groups.

The location was excellent - perched on the cliff top and a short stroll from the pebbly beach and the old town.

• Reviewed: 20 June 2015

Fantastic restaurant, we had a table on the terrace...

Power failure on our day of departure which meant we had no electricity or running water

Fantastic restaurant, we had a table on the terrace overlooking the cove, a truly stunning location.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2015

personell is extremely friendly

Shower/ Bath very - too - small, but the very annoying thing is the acoustic level. You hear literally everything above, next door and below your room when you try sleeping it's incredible

personell is extremely friendly

• Reviewed: 29 April 2015

The location of the hotel is excellent and the hotel's...

The cooked breakfast could be improved on and the fruit juices better quality.

The location of the hotel is excellent and the hotel's proximity to the to the town and all the lovely restaurants and bars is excellent

• Reviewed: 17 May 2016

Beautiful room!

Building next door being renovated- balcony window right next to this.

Beautiful room! Very helpful staff!

• Reviewed: 28 April 2016

L'emplacement, la vue - exceptionnel

Très mal insonorisé. Petit dejeuner un peu limité

L'emplacement, la vue - exceptionnel

• Reviewed: 5 April 2016

Fantastic location

Looks a bit dated, nothing bad. Breakfast was ok, not special.

Fantastic location Great service, friendly, they drove us to the train station.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2016

Very good location,beautiful view.

Very good location,beautiful view.

• Reviewed: 20 March 2016

Horrible internet connection.

Horrible internet connection. Complain was not taken seriously,

• Reviewed: 4 November 2015

The location is spectacular.

The location is spectacular. The staff are lovely. The hotel food is exceptional - a destination restaurant in itself

• Reviewed: 28 September 2015

Superb location and wonderful, helpful staff.

Superb location and wonderful, helpful staff.

There are also 21 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Covo dei Saraceni traveller photo gallery