Reviews of Hotel Donà Palace 4 stars

San Marco 391, San Marco, 30124 Venice, Italy

#87 of 301 hotels in Venice

• Classic Double Room

Our room. Red carpet in our room. Furnishings in our room. The lack of view from our room. The fact that the pictures of the room I booked did not in any manner match the room we ended up in. The fact that it cost 85 euros to take a 20 minute water taxi to the train station. Grumpy staff.

The location was good. The back patio was nice and private.

• Comfort Suite

Very spacious room, watching out over a canal. Special feat: former home to the dodges. Piazza San Marco just around the corner. Excellent breakfast, nice terrace directly on the canal. Very good price/quality

• Deluxe Double Room

Slightly more cooked vegetarian options at breakfast.

The staff were very welcoming. The free bottle of prosecco was appreciated. The roof terrace was a peaceful retreat.

This hotel is in a great location for exploring Venice. It has a backgarden that fronts onto the canal, so you can sit and watch the gondolas go by. The breakfast was fine, with plenty of choice on offer. Rooms are clean and comfortable and you only need to enter your name and email address to access WiFi.

• Junior suite Doge Donà

SUPER COMFY BED! And super clean accommodations and bathroom. Really a beautiful room - we got the suite. From the pictures, the suite looks like one of the upgraded rooms. It was worth the money. Such a cute back patio bar area with the river against it. The guy that runs the bar is a sweetie, but he has to go in another room to make the drinks which just sucks for him (and takes longer - not his fault) because there isn't a full bar on the patio. The location is perfect. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Executive Suite

We stayed in the Executive Suite for our 'mini-moon' which was amazing! The hotel had left us complimentary drinks on arrival to celebrate, and were always on hand to prepare the hot tub for us. We cannot praise the staff and hotel enough for making our trip as special as we had hoped.

• Classic Double Room

As check out time is at 11, I don't understand why they start to clean rooms before, there is not so much space and you pass vacuum cleaners and other stuff when you go to breakfast

nice position, good room and good breakfast

• Classic Double Room

The rooms are a little bit old and with carpete on the floor and mustiness lume the most hotels in venice, but are very comfartable.

A very good location, near Piazza San Marcos. You can get to the piazza San Marcos easaly by public transport from the train station and AirPort, and go on foot to the hotel. Or u can also go by an aquatic taxi and have the amazing experience to get the hotel by water. Nice breakfast, and willing staff.

• Classic Suite

Decoration is getting a bit out of date

Bedroom was very large, great view from bedroom to the canal. Lovely breakfast. Very well located. Would recommend it

• Classic Suite

Lovely quiet location short walk from St Mark's Square, with views over the canal from our room. The reception staff were friendly and very helpful.

• Classic Double Room

Limited vegetarian options for breakfast. Par with the other destinations we stayed at.

Centrally located and very close to water bus station. Even with all the luggage, it was about 5-7 mins walk to the property. Reception staff extremely professional and courteous Rooms were very comfortable and cozy The hotel were kind enough to organise a complementary visit to the Murano glass factory!!

• Classic Double Room

Great little hotel! Location was great just off St Mark square with great restaurants all around! We got to pay in a little extra and upgraded to the junior suite which was breathtakingly beautifull! Breakfast room is also beautiful and breakfast is supurb with choice and quality!

• Classic Double Room

One receptionist really friendly & helpful.....the other not so!

Great location, good breakfast, reasonable room. Loved the courtyard & own boat dock.

• Classic Double Room

Nothing. Great last minute rate...fabulous location...attentive and informative staff...wonderful accommodations and amenities.

If your air conditioning isn't working...call the front desk and ask them to turn it on! We have found that hotels in Europe don't turn on the a/c unless asked! Hotel Dona was no exception and they were more than happy to accommodate our request.

• Classic Double Room

Hot items at breakfast (eggs, bacon, sausage, ham&potatoes) were usually cold. Staff said the heater was broken (3 days). Room was nice but stuffy. No air conditioning on in early April, so opened windows. Welcome mosquitoes and some noise.

Location was great. Staff was very courteous and friendly. Reasonable breakfast and comfortable beds. Enjoyed the water taxi pickup at Hotel canal steps.

• Classic Double Room

Excellent location. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I let them know I couldn’t eat eggs on the first day there, and the chef had vegan croissants ready the next morning for me !

• Classic Double Room

We honestly cannot say anything negative about this hotel. When we come back to Venice, we will definitely consider the Dona Palace again!

Location behind Piazza San Marco is central, but not too busy. The hotel is situated well for walking to the main attractions. The hotel has a great patio for enjoying an afternoon drink with egress to a canal. This is great for taking a water taxi, etc. The breakfast area was very impressive, with even a few tables out on a balcony for al fresco eating, i so desired. Full selection for breakfast. Excellent Internet connection with good speeds.

• Classic Double Room

A little on the expensive side. The breakfast hot items, were very subpar, these would get a 2/10, everything else a 9/10, extra point for the unlimited prosecco/mimosas bar!

Great location, charming building and decor. Great service, very nice breakfast (overral).

• Deluxe Double Room

Staff at the reception could be more helpful on advices for restaurants. Nice breakfast but we would have expected more for a 4* hotel.

Comfort of the bed, cleanliness, location (just behind st Marco Square)

• Classic Double Room

Breakfast could be improved. My partner and I do not eat continental breakfast and the hot food was not good enough so we settled for toast everyday. Our bath had a few hairs and dust in so I had to wash it before I could get in it.

Excellent location and staff were very accommodating and helpful.

• Classic Double Room

The location was perfect and the staff were very helpful. It was on the doorstep of San marco square surrounded by beautiful restaurants. A real Venetian experience.

• Classic Suite

Complimentary water on first night only. Bar expensive. Some of the cooked breakfast items were cold.

Excellent location. Comfy bed and pillows. Good sized suite. Staff friendly and extremely helpful. Would recommend.

• Deluxe Double Room

There could have been more storage in the room. No drawers to put clothes in.

Excellent breakfast choice in a beautiful room. Location of hotel. Close to several excellent restaurants.

• Junior Suite Comfort

Hotel is being renovated (not mentioned at time of booking) this resulted in a persistent fire alarm at 2am but the staff present seemed unbothered so really glad it was not an actual fire or consequences could have been terrible.

Breakfast selection and physical location was excellent

• Classic Double Room

The room was small but apparently that is the norm in Venice and I had booked the standard room.

Location. Was perfect ,staff lovely and friendly.very helpful air conditioning was noisy and I mentioned it ,it was fixed by my return from breakfast.

• Executive Suite

Disappointed with my room it was not up to standards, room was incomplete due to renovations going on, do not go by the pictures provided on the website as they were nothing like the actual room itself. Renovations ongoing during the day, no courteous email to inform us of these renovations. Staff were polite the whole stay, great central location. Won’t be staying here again.

Great location, superb and professional staff, nothing to complain. I was lucky - a discount at this hotel helped to fulfill my dreams: to see sunset and sunrise in Venice offseason . I hope I'll come back one day

• Classic Double Room

Although the hotel was carrying out renovations, we were not inconvenienced.

Beautiful boutique hotel just around the corner from San Marco Square. The bedroom was spacious and comfortable. An excellent buffet breakfast was served in a most elegant room overlooking the canal. Highly recommended.

• Classic Double Room

The hotel has the best location so that you can walk all over the place and return easily. Incredibly close to a lot of the main tourist sites. The breakfast dining area is set up so elegantly so that becomes an experience as well. The reception staff are fantastic. So attentive and friendly.

• Classic Suite

maim bed and sofa bed matress are not in high quality........................................................................... early bagged braefast to airprt is horible -over priced

great location , great breakfast, large room///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

• Junior Suite Classic

Place, personnel, room, breakfast (champagne included). Everything was great. San Marco - over 2 coners. Lots of restaurants within 5-10 minutes walking distance.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

Warm eggs for breakfast

The staff were wonderful and the hotel although somewhat dated was comfortable and clean and the room was huge!! In a great spot and was walking distance to everything. The breakfast was lovely although some warm eggs would have been nice. Overall a lovely stay at this quaint hotel

• Classic Double Room

The photos of the room were not correct. We got much smaller room than what we have seen before booking the hotel.

Location is great. Staff is nice. Breakfast is good.

• Junior Suite Classic

Madras in bed a bit hard. TV too small for good looking from the bed.

Nice and helpful staff, well kept facilities, good atmosphere place. Good location central to the Marcus Square.

• Deluxe Double Room

The breakfast was okay/average, being from England we love a hot breakfast so tend to have high standards but the warm breakfast on offer wasn’t the greatest.

The rooms were very spacious and always cleaned to a high standard, the staff were very helpful and kind! Bar Staff were great as well. The porter who carried our bags to our room, couldn’t remember his name but he was an absolute legend! Nicest bloke you’d meet! Always made and effort to say hello every morning and always looked busy - top bloke!

I didn't like to stay only one night. I would like to stay more

I did like the room, it was warm ( I was stay in november) and cosy. The breakfast is exellent! Thank you very much.

• Classic Double Room

Staff was rude to me as soon as I arrived. Then our ceiling leaked every time the guests above us showered. We just had to "deal with it for a night." The leaking occurred three times including at 4am which woke us. We were given a towel. The leaks became larger each time causing us to fear the strength of the ceiling. Would it cave? The next day we were then given a much smaller and noisier room though that was considered an upgrade. This was only after I complained. Then...I wasn't initially offered any discount but I had to complain forcefully. We were unable to sleep with water loudly coming down for over an hour. Worst staff. The second room had toilet issues. I will never stay here again and recommend any friends I have to avoid this property at all cost. I've been to Venice multiple times and I've had much better. Oh yes...I had a friend join me at the last minutes for only two nights. I asked if the hotel had a room that could fit three (not attempting to hide anything) and was told no they were booked. They agreed to let my friend stay one night but not the second. While i found this dumb, I went with their rules and found friend another place for her second night. However, the hotel staff treated me like a sneaky liar and harassed me every time I walked through asking if she was there. I wouldn't be surprised if they snuck in our room to verify. If I was trying to be dishonest, I would have never have told the front desk she was staying! They were very rude!

Room size and location were nice.

• Executive Suite

Absolutely nothing - apart from having to leave!

We treated ourselves to the Royal Suite which was absolutely gorgeous and huge! The views were incredible and we didn't want to leave. We were surprised and delighted to find iced Belinis waiting for us as an anniversary present. The location is superb, breakfast is fab with loads of choice and since we had to leave early for the airport on our last day, the staff made us up a very generous breakfast bag to go. All the staff in the hotel are lovely and really friendly and helpful. There is a lovely wee garden terrace that guests can sit on which is right on the canal. One of our favourite things was sitting here and waving to everyone going past on the Gondolas - great fun. We can't wait to go back to beautiful Venice and the wonderful Dona Palace!

• Junior Suite Classic

We booked a suite and it wasn't a suite just a large bedroom. It wasn't value for money. This is one of the most expensive 4* hotels in Venice and more expensive than a lot of the 5* Ines,

Bar man was fab

• Classic Suite

Couldn’t find a hotel guide in my room. Reception gentleman on the day of my arrival was not as helpful as staff at other times. Told me I would need to go to the waterfront to enquire about water taxis to the airport, whereas the lady the next morning explained that she could book a taxi for me that would collect me at the hotel.

Fantastic room. Extremely comfortable. Quiet. Excellent for sleeping. Plenty of windows to let light in. Complimentary water. Good range of toiletries. Shower with good water pressure. Large soft towels. Heated towel rack. Lovely garden terrace by the canal. Great breakfast. Beautiful breakfast room. Great location.

• Deluxe Double Room

While checking out, the receptionist gave me wrong instructions where to get out from vaporetto. OK, unintentionally, but still. Never mind.

Nice hotel, fantastic location, fair price, good breakfast. Excellent value for money. We were there only one night, but we will come back for sure. Thank you, Dona Palace!

• Classic Double Room

It would be excellent if the hotel were to offer an evening meal, though we were quite happy as it was & the establishment (including excellent terrace bar) was probasbly that bit more quiet & select as a result. Only detraction I suppose is our room coud have done with a lick of paint & have been ever so slightly larger.

Excellent in all respects, a 'family run' feel with lovely touches, a quiet but effective & freindly approach. Staff clearly properly trained. Classy but not ostentatious

• Junior Suite Classic

Venice is not cheap, don't fool yourself.

The breakfast was very good; excellent coffee. It is very conveniently located, near St. Mark's and on a quieter street.

• Classic Double Room

They charged my card without asking me for the 4.50 Euro tax, I wanted to pay in cash because I was charged an international fee and a transaction fee on the small amount. The staff member was rude about it when I brought it to his attention and said he 'was too busy'. Not good enough.

Location was great

• Classic Double Room

The room was quite large but the bathroom was small especially the shower. The room could use a fresh coat of paint.

Breakfast was plentiful and large assortment, coffee was great. The location was wonderful, easy access to San Marco Square.

Nothing. All good.

Location was fabulous,, staff were so helpful Breakfast and staff were wonderful I have already told all my friends to stay there when they visit Venice, Having the garden at the back of the hotel was fabulous and a place to sit ,drink and look at the canals.

• Executive Suite

The hot tub use is limited and it does not hold temperature once filled by the staff.

The roof top terrace was fantastic. The hotel location is fantastic with a lovely canal side seating area.

all was good

Breakfast was fantastic, very rich and assorted. Sparkling wine was a pleasant bonus to have. Breakfast was served at a beautiful terrace. Bar in the secret garden is another pearl of the hotel. We were lucky to have this hotel as a secret offer at Booking.com. The price for this high quality hotel was more than fair.

• Deluxe Double Room

They need to add more variety for breakfast.

The hotel was great for people with disabilities I'm a wheelchair user, I recommend it to anyone with disability because it's close to the public transportation with no bridges to pass.

• Classic Double Room

It's not similar to the pictures in booking .. No kattle in the rooms and they couldn't bring me a coffee!! If I'll give it a rate .. It's 2 or maximum 3 stars .. But not 4 at all You have to keep keys every time you leaving the hotel!! Even No tissue box in the room !!

• Classic Double Room

No views from room but good excuse to get out and explore!

Best location as an easy walk to St Mark's Square & the Basilica and close to hundreds of shops and restaurants.

everything was 10/10

Amazing property! The owner, Sara is a plus, she was waiting for us until we arrived(our train was delayed) 15-20 min walking distance from the city centre. If you really want to enjoy Firrnze this is your property. Thank you!

• Classic Double Room

Our room didn't look like the picture but it was clean and comfortable. Tiny shower but great water pressure and new. It's Venice- no big deal!

Excellent location with a patio on the canal which was unique and worth staying here to experience. We had a side view of the canal which we did not request and it was perfect. Staff very friendly and helpful.

• Classic Double Room

The room was quite small for the price but after all this is Venice!

Very central, the staff were really welcoming and helpful. The bed was super comfortable and Breakfast buffet was great

• Classic Double Room

the staff is really working hard to make your stay pleasurable.

the location is very convenient as you could get to the Lido (movie show) in 20 minutes via public transport. We could get to the Giardini Biennale and the Arsenale on foot in 15 minutes. Donà Palace is really a good choice for art lovers

• Junior Suite Classic

washroom needs better maintenance no complimentary coffee or tea in room

amazing terrace on the canal nice breakfast area friendly staff serving breakfast excellent location

No complaints

The hotel was at the best location in San Marco, everything was handy from restaurants to shopping and the best location. I truly enjoyed my stay at this hotel, The two gentlemen at the reception are really wonderful.

• Junior Suite Comfort

Everything was a 10/10. The elevator was a bit slow though.

The junior suite was really spacious and nice. Proper air conditioning and a very nice view from room 48. After 5pm the outside bar area opens up where they do really nice drinks (get the 'sweet smile" drink). The breakfast was also really nice lots of fruit, cereal, bread, cakes and tea. Super friendly staff.

• Classic Double Room

Very good location,clean and comfy room,kind staff,tasty breakfast,nice garden for a drink.Thanks for the lovely stay and hope to see you again.

No complaints!

Excellent location, very clean and spacious room. Great aircon and reliable internet. Buffet breakfast was generous and varied - you would easily pay 10-20 euros for it. There were cheaper rooms in Venice but im glad i paid the little bit more to be safe and comfortable- the extra luxury of the room was really great to come back to after long, hot days walking the city.

• Classic Double Room

We had a bath with a shower in it. The shower wasn't very good.

Very good location - walkable for many of Venice's main attractions. Friendly and helpful staff. Good room.A pleasant patio/bar area to relax in. Restaurants in adjacent streets. We found a Co-op supermarket nearby which was very useful.

• Classic Suite

Great Location, staff and price. High close to a vaporetto station, san marco square, shops and restaurants. The room is really big and breakfast very cozy

• Classic Double Room

The hotel was clean and attractive, the rooms were large and well appointed. The staff were attentive, warm and helpful. The breakfast, included in the rate was delicious. There is a beautiful patio overlooking the lagoon and at night one can order drinks there. This hotel was reasonably priced and exceeded our expectations. I highly recommend this hotel for a stay in Venice.

• Classic Double Room

The bar was closed due to personel having a day off.

The location just a 5 min walk to San Marco Square The horel has an outdoor lounge area where watertaxis can pick up hotel guests. Very friendly frontdesk personel

• Executive Suite

the room was on the top floor and the air conditioning struggled to keep the room cool at night.

An ideal location. literally minutes from the Plaza. The staff was very helpful and accommodating.

Light switches in the room were a little confusing, air con was maybe a little noisy but I was so tired it made no difference

Very helpful staff. Good location and perfect hotel to end my holiday

• Classic Double Room

Hair on bed. Dirty tub non functioning AC. Awful view.never even received an apology note from management

The breakfast staff and Stephenie at the Front desk were amazing

NO complaints staff were great, rooms were nice,breakfast good, location great, plus it had its own boat dock...great for water taxi pick up from & to airport Highly recommend this hotel in Venice

• Classic Double Room

Compared to the options, nothing!

Excellent location, amazing terrace by the canal where u can also see the gondola passing by and the view from the balcony s dining area!

Can't fault it really. Was a bit pricey but worth it for the super central location

Terrific location within 2 mins of main attractions. Spotlessly clean with good WiFi and air-conditioning. Super comfortable room. Breakfast good and staff supplied me with gluten free alternatives which was greatly appreciated 😊

• Junior Suite Comfort

the only (small) thing that could be better are the opening hours of the inhouse bar/garden service. But this is really not a big issue

location and view is excellent, nice and friendly staff, beds were comfortable and event in the middle of downtown, very calm and relaxing. Super super nice garden.

• Classic Double Room

Good coffee at breakfast. Excellent location. Air conditioning did not cool room in May. Leak in bathroom flooded carpet. Trim around tub worn water damaged. Room nothing like pictures. Very small even for Venice. Roof terrace cluttered trash unusable. Best part was leaving by water taxi from hotel dock.

Staff very accommodating

nothing in specific, but I think that the elevator should be more dynamic, efficient, and the signs should be in more visible locations.

Great Location, its very close to San Marco square, as well as its very clean, the staff are so professionals and hospital people. On the other hand; I'll wish to come back again for the same hotel ... Ala'

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

I booked a junior comfort suite, and the the restaurant was in front of this comfort suite :( So we had music at night and was so loud and could not sleep in the morning as breakfast was being served in the restaurant in front of the comfort suite!

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

My wife left her laptop in the hotel room and I called them to go check for it... They confirmed it wasn't there and assured me they sent someone to check.... The next day I received an email saying they found it but now my wife had left Venice... I had to pay for it to get sent to Rome and they messed that up as well.... I then had to use my own transport company to get it sent back to South Africa which cost me R8000..... All because they lied to me about checking the room when I called..

Browse Hotel Donà Palace traveller photo gallery