Reviews of Grand Hotel Continental Siena - Starhotels Collezione 5 stars

Via Dei Banchi Di Sopra 85, 53100 Siena, Italy

#12 of 51 hotels in Siena

9.7

Needs a major upgrade.

Concierge and manager were very accommodating, but it was hard to hide old amenities. Location is very convenient, as well as assistance with a car parking, which is very valuable in the center of Siena.

• Deluxe Double Room

It was disappointing to find that there was only 1 English speaking TV channel and that was a French channel! Parking is expensive if you use the hotel's valet service and if you don't it's very difficult to find parking in Siena so I'd recommend people not to take a car into the city if they can avoid it.

All the staff were fantastic and very helpful at all times. The fresh honeycomb available at breakfast was delicious!

They sent instructions of how to get there by car but I think an attached map could make it more easier than written instructions.

Everything was planned to work, the hotel is beautiful and very-well located.

• Deluxe Double Room

my problem with this grand hotel is that they do not have a fitness facility. and in this day when we are so attuned to our health, it is difficult to stay at a hotel that does not have this facility.

all served very professionally.

• Deluxe Double Room

A beautiful and full of character hotel, and it is right in the centre of Sienna. The staff were the most accommodating I have come across, not only booking what you ask for but insisting on helping you with other bookings

• Deluxe Double Room

Difficult to find hotel when driving despite hotel's attempts to help. Recommend getting near hotel and then call for help getting to hotel. EXCELLENT staff and EXCELLENT location. Loved staying and would recommend it always.

Rooms/ bathroom need refurbishment

Staff was extremely lovely, location is amazing, and the hotel is beautiful - ceilings are high and great design in the reception hall.

• Classic Double Room

Ideally placed in the centre of Siena, the hotel wonderfully blends history with modernity. The staff are excellent, the ambience is soothing, the rooms are quiet, the beds are supremely comfortable with spacious en-suite facilities, which made for a truly relaxing working week-end. The WiFi was top notch and we enjoyed refreshments and lunch in the hotel's bar and restaurant.

• Classic Double Room

It is a bit challenging to find by car initially. If you have a room that looks out onto the main street it can be a bit loud at night.

Very helpful and friendly staff, always there when you need them. Great breakfast, very centrally located in Sienna.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

Pay attention to the driving instructions that the hotel sends you. Do not follow your GPS, or you might get a fine for entering il Centro on the wrong street..

The restaurant is worth trying, very creative and healthy twists on traditional dishes, bordering on experimental. Don't expect a plate of spaghetti and meatballs (not that you'd find that in any genuine Italian restaurant anyway). Kudos to the young chef.

• Suite

Noise from the street was bothersome at night

The room was beautiful and the breakfast was fit for a king. Absolutely our favorite hotel in Italy. Staff was extremely nice and professional

• Classic Double Room

As the hotel is in an old building noise from adjacent rooms...plumbing and voices are real issues. When your neighbour is considerate...all good, but if you are unlucky to get someone who wants to speak on the phone at 2 and 3 am not so great. (...maybe bring earplugs)

Beautiful hotel in centre of Sienna, kind staff, great breakfast

• Classic Double Room

The only thing is that if you have trouble sleeping with a little ambient noise the rooms at the front will be a bit of a problem for you because of the busy road. But this is not a hotel problem, just a fact!

Everything was wonderful! The staff were very pleasant, helpful and welcoming! We had a room located at the back of the building and requested a change at the front of the hotel. They were kind enough to change it right away! The breakfast was full, providing everything needed!

• Classic Double Room

For the rate of the room per night, we were disappointed by the unfriendly bar staff when we went downstairs for our welcome drink. Our bartender was cold and unhelpful to us and other guests who arrived when we did - not what we expected from a 5-star hotel! We also expected better soundproofing from a five-star hotel and were disappointed that we had received earplugs and were kept up until 3am by loud street noises, despite being several stories up from the ground level. Bar service and noises will prevent us from splurging on a hotel stay here again!

Great view of Siena from room and perfect location in the heart of Siena! The concierge who checked us in, Elena, was amazing - she was really helpful and we loved her. Breakfast here was good.

• Classic Double Room

We like everything. Bed was very comfortable. The room has a little balcony with amazing view over Siena - it was a nice surprise. Staff was great and helpful. Highly recommend to stay in this hotel.

• Classic Double Room

Its my 5th time I have stayed at this Hotel. The staff is always perfect and know the best places to have various meals, Good breakfast. Decent size rooms. Great Views from the rooms, Situated in the Old town.

• Classic Double Room

The coffee at breakfast did not taste nice and the bar staff at night time were grumpy and not welcoming.

The room was lovely, comfy, quiet and clean. The staff were very welcoming on arrival. The staff at breakfast were lovely. The hotel is absolutely beautiful and in the heart of lovely Siena.

Good Restaurants are few and far.

Super, interesting city. Hotel is fabulously located and the "class act" in town. Churches are the most artistic and interesting of all of Europe.

• Classic Double Room

The road in and out of the old city was closed for the horse races when we arrived. The Hotel should be emailing guests expected to arrive during this week to explain what happens and the process for getting to and from the Hotel by car.

Stunning view of old city from bedroom balcony. Staying in this Hotel in the old city is fantastic. Food was excellent.

• Classic Double Room

The parking costs 45 euro per night and I've waited almost 35 minutes to bring the car to the hotel in the morning. I think it's a bit too much.

Almost everything! The room and the view were splendid! Staff is more than friendly and were trying to do their best. Thank you!

• Classic Double Room

Do not have much to address here. Maybe just that the room is a little smaller than I expected but this is really far-fetching

- Amazing hotel, perhaps the best one in Siena, definitely very nice location right in the historical center of town in the heart of Tuscany - The hotel building itself is a historical building with a nice inside smell of old stones but a very modern interior - While I was driving a car, I might have faced some problems with parking, but for a comparatively small additional charge the hotel personnel legally parked it somewhere close to the location - The room, while being Standard suite, has amazing inside decoration, reminding of a medieval castle, good bathroom with ETRO products and an amazing view on the historical part of Siena, which is lovely having a room on just 3rd floor - The breakfast was probably one of the best in my life with so many different food and drinks you could think of trying all of them staying at least for a week there. This includes local food and wine as well - The hotel personnel is very helping and nice. They booked a private tour with a local guide for me and a wine-tasting ceremony in a local restaurant. Bartender at the bar was also an amazing person to talk with and mixing some unusual cocktails

• Classic Double Room

The hotel charge a lot to park in their car park, however the hotel staff are very helpful in informing you of other places you can park your car which is much cheaper and in some cases even free.

The staff were very helpful and polite throughout our entire stay and when we arrived we were upgraded to a balcony room which was lovely as it was our wedding anniversary. The hotel is very luxurious and our room was very large as was the bathroom. However the best thing for us about the hotel was the location it is very Central and as soon as you walk out of the hotel you right by various restaurants and shops.

• Classic Double Room

Only stayed one night. Will return! :-)

Location. Place. Atmosphere. Friendly staff. Room including ensuite. Breakfast. The fact the air con worked and was not too noisy.

Even if I tried hard, I wouldn't have found anything to complain about.

We enjoyed everything. Prior to our trip we received an email from the hotel with the detailed instructions how to get there by car (nice unexpected touch). From the minute we stepped inside the hotel till leaving every employee was extremely friendly, helpful and going out their way to assist you.

• Classic Double Room

Absolutely nothing. Everything was flawless.

Ideally located at the heart of the old part of the city. The staff was extremely professional and welcoming. The breakfast was rich, plentiful and served in a room which brought you back to the 18th century. The room itself was quiet,, classy and very comfortable with a huge bathroom.

• Classic Double Room

To start, this is not an international 5 stars hotel, am sure it was in the 40's or 50's but we are in 2017. It's a beautiful hotel but today's 5 star hotels have more services like gym, spa, coffee machine in the rooms, etc... My experience for the very beginning it wasn't nice, after my check in when I get inside the room (231) I found "hairs" on the bath!!!! and also big cracks in the wall, unacceptable for a 5 stars hotel. Payment System: I don't understand why when you do the check-in they ask your credit card to charge an amount of money apart of your total amount of your stay. In my case they charge me at the end of my stay 2400€ for 2 nights (my price per night was 400€), when I did ask why they charge that big amount of money they say don't worry it will disappear in 10 days!!!. When you do the reservation through booking.com the hotel already get your credit cards information so why do they charge an extra money??? today's hotels don't do this anymore, it's a very old fashion system and that process affect your credit card limit, so be careful with that, it can ruin your holidays.

The location it's the best from this hotel. For me it's very important the bed and in this case it was fantastic. Ans also I have to say that the staff from the hotel in general were very helpful.

• Classic Double Room

I paid €50 for two breakfasts. I wish I had gone elsewhere. The breakfast buffet was nice, but not amazing.

I had a minor issue that I brought up to the staff. They handled it in the best and most professional manner.

• Classic Double Room

No irons in the room. When I requested to iron an outfit for the evening it came back looking untouched. I understand that the facilities for ironing may be restricted to the hours of housekeeping. In this event it would be good to have an ironing room available for guest to iron their own clothes. I give credit once again to the front desk staff who took responsibility of this and did not charge for the service.

The front desk staff and concierge are brilliant. So genuine and. attentive. They obviously love their jobs and are great ambassadors for the brand.

The hotel was v old and tired and in need a lot of updating . No extra facilities which is disappointing in a 5 star hotel which is super costly .

Staff were v helpful and pleasant . Hotel was in a great location and easy walking distance to all Siena s attractions

• Classic Double Room

original room was very noisy from street noise, had no sleep but was moved to a quieter room for second night.

Fabulous building right in the centre of Sienna. Staff very friendly.

• Connecting Rooms

Rooms are in need of refurbishment/upgrade...sockets don't work, furnishings worn, balcony needed good cleansing, potted plants on balcony very tired. When I asked for a decaf America o I got a pot of weak instant coffee!!

Staff were outstanding, helpful, friendly and polished. Edpecially Laura the concierge. Building entrance and reception rooms are beautiful

• Suite

If you are arriving by car, you should plot out in advance the path to the hotel as it is in a pedestrian area

Staff extremely helpful - and being in the city center was amazing

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

• Classic Double Room

Our rooms faced the street which was very noisy until the early hours - ear plugs are recommended or ask for a room at the rear.

Beautifully appointed hotel in historic palace within a short walk of Siena's Campo, the cathedral and other attractions.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

I can't think of a thing.

I had the pleasure of staying here in 2014. I brought my daughter to Italy to celebrate her 30th birthday. I was so glad to be able to share some of my favorite memories and places in Italy with her. I love Siena, and this hotel is beautiful, historic, and well located. The staff could not have been kinder, and we felt a bit like royalty. Many thanks for wonderful (though too short) visit to this city and this beautiful space.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

• Classic Double Room

Noisy side of the building with windows facing main street

Friendly staff that helped with car parking, storage of my bike in preparation for race and storing the dirty bike after the race without any complains or issues.

• Reviewed: 9 February 2017

• Suite

This is a very convenient location for arrival departure and all the best sites to visit in Siena Very nice view of duomo and cathedral , location is perfect, staff were very helpful and dinner was the very finest , this is a beautiful hotel , we felt like royalty during our stay, A++

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

wouldn't know....

Staff (especially the concierge) was great (I told 'm the staff was terrible... only joking), location was perfect. All you can desire and the prices where nice. tip: make sure you have breakfast included...

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

Breakfast was very poor, many of the items were gone and not replaced. Wifi code changed every day, which we were not told about. Young bartender was way out of his depth. Took 20 mins to get a cocktail, which wasn't even made in front of us.

Location is excellent. Room was very nice.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

The breakfast was very average for a restaurant off this standard

The location of the hotel is perfect, The rooms look over the Cathedral and the hotel is a few hundred feet from the Main Piazza, The staff recommended the most amazing restaurants to us on our stay.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

Locaties is awesome, in the middle of town. Excellent rooms and breakfast. Very friendly and assistant staff. We had rooms on the top floor and fantastic views at the city from the balcony.

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

• Classic Double Room

The room's air conditioner didn't work at all. So the room became warm & stuffy, especially in the night. We had to leave the door to the patio opened in the day and when we're awake at night to keep room cool but we didn't want to do that at night when we're sleeping

The location is excellent. Right in the heart of the all the local attractions, shops and restaurants. Staff were very friendly and helpful. We wanted and could not find the dish "tripa" in Siena, having tried and loved it in our previous travels to Italy. The front desk staff I asked actually managed to find us an excellent restaurant that cooked the dish specially for us!! And wow, did it turn out good! It was excellent, plus the other dishes we had. The rooms were spacious, clean and very comfortable. Bathroom big and user friendly. We had the top most floor and it has a patio that gave an awesome sight of Siena from the roof top!

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

The hotel is far from a 5* standard, from facilities, room, concierge, service, breakfast. Not worth the money they charge.

The staff was friendly, but not as professional a 5* hotel should have

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

• Classic Double Room

The hotel was beautiful and the staff was excellent. In particular, we were extremely impressed with their concierge Nabil, who helped us in many ways and went way above and beyond what was required.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

A very old hotel in desperate need of renovation. First room we were shown was appalling with dirty furniture and a TV from the 80s. We were kindly upgraded to a bigger room with slightly newer facilities. Very poor value for money compared to other properties we stayed in during our trip to Tuscany. Also absolute nightmare to drive to hotel with no warning from hotel on how difficult it would be.

The staff

The breakfast was a bit disappointing. There was not a toaster available ...

The staff extra friendly. The location excellent. The decor very nice. The room comfortable even though we booked the cheapest category offered.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Insufficient service at the breakfast room. Dirty dishes were not carried away. There should be more people working there. But anyway, quality of breakfast is quite good.

Small but very romantic balcony in each of our 2 rooms (remember to ask the last floor, rooms 439, 440 or 443). Nice view on the city from the balcony. Position of the hotel is absolutely phenomenal.

Excellent staff and accomodations

• Deluxe Double Room

Housekeeping were a bit forgetful.

Location breakfast and staff

Outstanding staff who were efficient, helpful and welcoming.

• Classic Double Room

Near the centre; fantastic building; great room

Great location, first class facility, good view.

• Classic Double Room

Great location near everything in old-town Siena. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Thank you!

Location, staff, breakfast, dinner all excellent

Top quality

Beautiful building

• Classic Double Room

Very friendly staff, and very nice building

Croissants extra Flakey,breaksfast was up to the level of a 5 star Hotel,bed very confortable,the room had an outstanding view and comfortable.

Parking too expensive

Beautiful hotel in perfect location. Exc staff! Room smaller than expected but still very comfortable

• Classic Double Room

Limited ability of the use of the car.

The location. The stuff.

Small hotel but spacious room. Lovely front desk

Amazing view.

• Classic Double Room

Poor internet connection in our room.

Dinner in restaurant was fabulous.

• Classic Double Room

Wonderful staff and service.

Very helpful staff

No outdoor seating

• Classic Double Room

Very old rooms which require serious renovation. We been RIPED OFF with the laundry! They charged us ridiculous amounts.

Excellent location

• Connecting Rooms

Looks a bit grungy and needs touching up; e.g. paint, grout in bathroom.

Well, the parking might be an issue but it's ok!3

Position in town . Friendly staff

Non

Everything. The staff was very friendly

...

Everything what you need in Siena...

Room were a little dark

Charm of property, great pillow, great location

• Classic Double Room

Breakfast could have been better

Lovely old building