Reviews of Grand Hotel Cavour 4 stars

Via del Proconsolo 3, Uffizi, 50122 Florence, Italy

#164 of 384 hotels in Florence

N/a

The hotel was within easy reach of all the main attractions of Florence. It is a beautiful hotel, very clean and spacious and the roof top bar is breathtaking! The staff were very friendly and went the extra mile to help us have the best time.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The air conditioning in the room didn't always work, but this didn't cause a problem

Great location, light airy room, lovely breakfast with a huge selection

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Air conditioning in the room was somewhat weak, very hot when we were there so that might have been the problem.

Wonderful location and staff. My luggage was lost on my incoming flight, desk staff handled finding it and getting it delivered to the hotel since they were able to converse with the airline in Italian. Perfect location.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

the hotel its self was outstanding location was good but that was my chose to go there my wife is disabled so that was key to us breakfast should of been a standard at £200 a night I thought that was pretty poor went out every morning and got a breakfast as a good a quality as yours for a 3rd of the price you was charging so I won't be going to you again for our holidays as i check a bit more and found i could of got better value (breakfast wise) else where would I recommend you to others probably not i would advise to look for a better package for the money Mr & Mrs Powell

clean and tidy good staff

• Superior Double or Twin Room

it would have been nice if we were given real glasses in the room and not plastic glasses. This is a classy establishment and plastic glasses just do not fit in with the rest of the amenities.

Perfectly located.

The price was too expensive for what it is. I was in Florence for my friends wedding as she was staying I booked the room.

The staff are really friendly

No view

Rooftop bar and cafe with views all around of the duomo etc. room was nice but small and there was no view to speak of although you could see Giotto’s tower over to the right.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Reception staff: On our arrival my first question to the girl at the reception was ' Do I need to reserve a spot on the terrace ? ' her answer was 'No!' as we were guests of the hotel we would have priority, unfortunately this created some misunderstanding with the bar staff (who kindly fixed the issue and guaranteed us two seats on a Saturday evening). Room was really noisy. Shower is a little bit disappointing.

Terrace view Central position Good (not amazing) breakfast

• Standard Double or Twin Room

This was an unusual experience and therefore requires some explaining. We arrived at this hotel after a 90 minute train ride from Rome. We were on day 15 of an 18 day Italy adventure. We had come from a boutique hotel in Rome (Trevi) that did not meet our expectations and were looking forward to a much better experience in Florence. Upon arrival we were quite pleased with the initial looks of the lobby, the bar, the dining, and more importantly the staff was very pleasant. We received a warm greeting, but once we identified ourselves, the young lady let us know the manager would need to meet with us. Carlo, the manager was very nice and genuine. Unfortunately he had to let us know that our rooms, along with 10 others, had been taken out of service due to a water problem. We would not be staying in Cavour. Carlo arranged for an immediate return of the cab and already had two upgraded rooms booked for us 3 minutes away at Hotel Calzaiuoli. At first, disappointment. Upon arrival, we were very pleased with our new hotel, its location, the rooms, the staff, the dining, everything. That evening we did return to Cavour for drinks on their rooftop lounge, made famous in the photos. Unfortunately this was a huge disappointment, as the views were good, but the venue was overcrowded (four of us had a cramped standing area meant for two), the service poor ("please be patient, we are very busy") and 1/3 of the patrons were presently smoking, which was unbearable (plastic wind screens actually kept the smoke in). We had one round of drinks and left. Carlo and the staff get an A+ for how our situation was handled. We cannot comment on the rooms, or the dining, or anything else from personal experience.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The fact that we had to leave to come home!!

We liked the whole experience!! The staff were first class,they were very smart,polite and very helpful if a need arose. The Hotel is Grand by name, and extremely Grand regarding its fittings,lots of marble and furniture in the reception area with high ceilings and large paintings adorning the walls. The ambiance was first class. Our room was small but compact with everything we needed for our stay,no problems there at all.

Most of the staff were friendly however as I previously mentioned the staff in the rooftop bar were not terribly welcoming. My room was quite noisy - that didn't particularly bother me as you expect that in such a central location, however if you want peace and quiet this might not be the right place. I suppose it's possible that some rooms at the back of the hotel might be quieter?

I booked a single room and was relieved that the bed was almost a double size although not quite. The bathroom was dated - take a hairdryer as the one in the bathroom was from the 1970s! The location was excellent a 5 minute walk to all the great sites of Florence. The rooftop bar had an amazing view but the staff were not particularly welcoming up there which I thought a bit odd considering it's quite expensive and I booked it prior to my visit.

I highly recommend this place. Conveniently located. We visited all the places that we wanted to go by walking. They also have a beautiful rooftop bar where you will enjoy a nice view of the city.

No complaints at all.

The roof terrace with the amazing view was spectacular. The entire hotel was enjoyable. Bathrooms were a luxurious highlight for our teenage daughters! The breakfast was nice too. It was located in the heart of everything.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

There is limited room service available, and the breakfast coffee needs urgent attention.

The room and bed were very comfy, quiet and clean. The staff were generally professional and helpful. The location near Duomo, Uffizi and other attractions is wonderful.

The staff on the roof bar and breakfast area are not well trained. The roof bar ran out of some alcoholic beverages which were not restocked. What kind of bar doesn't restock? The staff at the breakfast area were disorganized

The hotel is centrally located. Its a pleasant hotel overall. Nice lobby and scenic roof bar. The rooms were made up on time and clean. .

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We need to change the first room that was assigned to us because was so small, dark and had bathtube and was so tall for my husband with knee problem. We upgrade our reservation for a junior suite that was a better choice. The staff was very nice to answer our request.

• Superior Junior Suite

The location is fantastic for pedestrians and taxi. Don’t try drive your own hire car in!

The staff were friendly and helpful and the room is huge and completely comfortable

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Air conditioning is only used during the summer (apparently). Nice decoration, but it felt a little cheap. Sewage smells (but that seems to be common throughout Florence). Breakfast staff and dirty tables were a let down.

The rooftop terrace bar and its breathtaking views (nice bar staff too). Receptionists were friendly, efficient and effective.

N/a

Great rooms, fantastic location and the staff proved to be very helpful - printing off our tickets when we had problems with the self serve pc.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Slightly disappointed with size of superior twin room, rather small, although bathroom was great. Would prefer proper glasses in room to plastic cups.

Great location. Helpful friendly staff. Great breakfast. Rooftop bar lovely. Good facilities.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Exremely noisy inside the buildung, noise coming from other rooms (furniture being moved, slamming, rumbling) and from the hall way; extremely noisy also from the street; this happened every night; a disaster; the room was very small - no problem in general, however, we missed a second chair (only one in this double room) for a minimum of convenience

• Superior Double or Twin Room

As it was my partners birthday i had asked for a special breakfast on his birthday,nothing was mentioned to me and my request was not responded to. I upgraded my room and it wasnt much of an upgrade i could of paid less for the other room which was exactly the same,The upgrade was small not the superior room i had imagined from the pictures.

The hotel is beautiful always smells nice and the staff were friendly. The view from the terrace is incredible just a shame it didnt open due to the weather. Great location

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The rooms are often short on adequate closet space as well as seating for 2 persons. The junior suite, when available, is the best option for a couple staying for more than 1-2 nights. I usually stay for 5 nights per visit and would prefer the larger rooms.

I enjoy the cleanliness of the hotel overall as well as the cheerful staff.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

the breakfast is too expensive ,if it is not include when you book

You can go to the top of the hotel and take a good view of Firenze, the room is very big and the decoration is very nice

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Everything. This is despite I lost my phone in a taxi, hence my mood was not great. the staff tried their very best to reach the company and driver. The gym though small and unique, has TRX ropes , perfect. The roof view is top notch. Lastly location is really just a stones throw from Cathedral and Irish pub for those that require their daily dosage of English football.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

On arrival there was a slight smell of sewers (which after 2 continuous days of rain, disappeared)

Fantastic location for sight-seeing. Very central, but not too noisy. Staff extremely helpful and obliging. Roof-top bar great views towards the Duomo and heated against the cold. Good breakfast.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Maybe the bar could be open a few more hours?

Room was beautiful, food excellent and the staff polite, friendly, courteous and professional. Excellent!

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The roof terrace to be open

The weather was wet so unfortunately the lovely roof terrace was closed. I chose the hotel for the location and the terrace.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

This is no way the fault of the hotel but the walls are extremely thin (it's an old building) - we had some... "interesting" sounds coming through from upstairs at night and the bells from the Duomo are loud. If you're a light sleeper I'd highly recommend taking earplugs.

The staff were friendly and the location is fantastic. Right in the middle of Florence and extremely close to the Duomo and Bargello museum. Clean room with good shower.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel was a bit over-heated and we could hear quite a bit of noise from other rooms. The roof terrace was closed (due to weather, not the hotel's fault!) which was disappointing, maybe some form of structure that would allow the terrace to be used in the rain would be a good idea.

Lovely staff, very helpful, offered lots of suggestions for restaurants. Provided a nice map of Florence.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

This hotel was even more beautiful in person than in the pictures. They upgraded us to a beautiful junior suite. The location of this hotel is perfect in a city that is as beautiful as anyone can dream. Probably our favorite hotel of the trip, the best breakfast in Italy hands down, and a view from their terrace bar that it is hard to equal. So happy we chose this hotel as part of our honeymoon. Can’t wait to be back

The bed was a rock. It was still a cozy room, but man that bed was hard. The sheets were fluffy too, it was just not the best mattress. At first, I had a hard time gauging the heat, but I think that’s on me.

I liked my rooms layout for sure! I also like the hallways! Silly, but the hallways were really nice and I felt safe at night. The ROOF!!!! Go grab a drink on the roof!!!!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Receptionist (Angela) was very rude at check out. She told me that I couldn't possibly have paid through booking.com, and that it was simply a charge on my bank card. She maintained this even after I showed her my email from booking.com. She told me that booking.com would have immediately refunded me upon arrival, and when I told her that the refund wasn't in my account, she told me that it 'takes a few days' (so, not immediate). After a lot of sighing, she decided to check and saw that yes, I had actually paid via booking.com. Without a word of apology, she processed my check out. A terrible end to a trip. Other items for attention - the hotel is not what I expect of a 4* establishment. The reception area smelled of sewage, the corridors were sleek and modern but the bedrooms were old, not clean and the paintwork was marked. There were no spyholes in the door or proper locks on the door. The noise from the room above was so loud I woke up thinking someone was in my bathroom. I travel frequently to Firenze and this was the worst hotel I have stayed in so far. A pity.

The location is very good.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Once again a hotel with no English TV! OK if you spend the evenings out but after a hectic day sight seeing it would have been nice to chill out and watch a film or some English TV.

Friendly staff, comfortable beds and good breakfast.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The rooms need an update. Paint was chipping off the walls and the thermostat didn’t work so it was boiling hot in the room the whole time - even though January. Also would have been nice to have a bath in the bathroom.

The staff were all very polite and attentive

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We could not get the free wifi at all. We booked two rooms on the same floor within 20 ft/ 7m off each other and one room had wifi and one room none. We were told there was a problem and were working on it. When I checked out I thought that maybe they would comp my two bottles of water from the room fridge, as a way to say sorry, they did not. That would be the only thing that coulf have been improved. I found the price to be a bit high for the rooms.

The staff was very accomodating. Buffet breakfast was very good. The hotel met our expectations.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

It would have been very nice with some information on the services provided by the hotel. No information on the minibar prices, and apparently they had a room service without a menu. The room itself was a bit cramped, and in need of refurbishment. I have stayed in three star hotels in Italy, and the room was not far from it. The walls are thin, and my neighbour provided me with some late night entertainement The gym is hidden somewhere on the 2nd floor. No information so you have to check with the front desk. They seem to have a massage service but no information. The turkish steam bath is out of order.

The hotel is close to the Duomo and the Uffizi. So right in the centre of everything. The foyer, and the common area is beautifull. Also the gym room is very nice with 17th century frescos in the ceiling. The staff is very friendly. I did not get to use the restaurant or the bar. But got a short glimpse of the Duomo from the roof terrace.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

great location / rooms were clean / spacious bathroom / breakfast options ok / hotel lobby gives a grand look / stay only if you find a good deal (generally the rates are high due to its 'history')

• Superior Double or Twin Room

We asked for parking facilities and were not advised beforehand of the extra cost (€35) It should be clearly specified in your website. We assumed it was the hotel´s Funny smell in the foyer.

Central location, close to everything. Great breakfast. Variety and quality. Building has some very nice architectural features.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was a little small but adequate

The staff were extremely helpful and very pleasant. The buffet breakfast had an excellent choice of foods in a lovely dining area.

• Superior Junior Suite

Having to leave there.

Room was beautiful. Breakfast selection was fantastic and included in our rate. Fantastic central location. Staff were very helpful and very friendly.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Breakfast in the morning wasn't included. Parking was off site and took 30-45minutes to get your car. It's also very difficult to navigate through the tiny streets to get to the hotel.

The interior of the hotel was very nice. The staff were friendly and helpful. They held our luggage for us when we arrived early and when we checked out and still had some sightseeing to do.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Unfortunately the room was a little underwhelming and I did not think it was fairly represented in the photos that were supplied when booking. The biggest disappointment was the noise, our room was clearly near to a staff cupboard/office where staff slammed the door from early in the morning alongside their radios making noise it was a very unpleasant way to wake up.

The hotel is really beautiful, stunning art and decor throughout. The rooftop bar is really spectacular and a place to enjoy a cocktail overlooking the city. The location of the hotel is really nice and central, close to some lovely restaurants and entertainment.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Expensive drinks on the roof patio Can be a noisy sleep depending on your room window location

Breakfast was really good, no omelette making person but otherwise a solid buffet

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel is excellent, there was little that we could fault (a few more heaters on the roof bar would be appreciated though). Great location.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Mosquitoes! Couldn’t open our windows because of bugs. A/C turned off and room was very very hot. Heater in hallway on also making our room even hotter.

Location, view, roof top bar. Comfortable bed and pillows.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I have lived in Florence for a while and find everywhere to be rather noisy, but my mom complained that it was hard to sleep at night from the street noises, but I think that would happen anywhere.

The bath tub was amazing and huge and it was really centrally located in Florence. The rooftop bar was truly a highlight--it's a bit overpriced but the views are fantastic and they have heat lamps and blankets for chillier weather, but still wear a jacket/coat.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room was comfortable and had a good view. Room furnishing are dated end not consistent in each room. Staff was extermely helpful and attentive to our needs. Great location! Parking was a small problem. Area to put a car for unloading is not marked very well. However, the staff helped take care of parking arrangements.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Parking was not included and we had to have our car taken to a parking garage and pay for it separately but again it was made up for with the upgrade of a really great room.

Were upgraded on arrival. Staff was super friendly. The location is great. The hotel room had a super classical Italian feel to it with high ceilings. The rooftop view was pretty great.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We were roomed at the 6th floor and the Guests coming to and from the rooftop bar are a bit noisy till 11PM.

Rooftop bar with views, central location to everything, great staff. Asked to be checked in early as we arrived earlier than expected and was given a room in 15mins and it was a busy time with full guests.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was very dark and the bathroom was really small, we asked for a bath but only given a shower, we asked for a double bed and was given two singles. Often the food ran out at breakfast and you had to ask for some more, the water for making tea was also tepid, so we decided to order cappuccino as this could be guaranteed to be ok.

Location of the holiday.

Breakfast could have been better, their towels are small and they didn't give enough of them.

The rooftop bar, friendly staff, architecture, amazing location

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel room was lovely I felt that Bathroom could do with updating. The view from our room was not good. There was also an inconvenient mix up with our bill.

Although the room was small the bed and pillows were extremely comfortable! For a city break the central location was perfect. The views from the rooftop bar are simply spectacular.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No view from the room and the road quite noisy in the morning-- but that's to be expected in an Italian city!!

Fabulous location right in the middle of the city-- 5 minutes from the Duomo. Parked outside and Porter jumped in the car and directed us to the Hotel car park-- thank goodness, we'd have never found it! Really helpful staff-- recommended a fabulous restaurant to eat in the evening. And a wonderful roof-top bar with great cocktails and free nibbles!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

On our second morning we were told that breakfast wasn't included. I knew it was and found my copy from booking.com to show it. I had to take it to the front desk where they checked it out. I think that they were just looking up the wrong room number the entire time. Everyone was extremely polite.

The unbelievable upgraded room, shower, breakfast and rooftop bar were all fabulous! To end the evening with drinks overlooking Florence is indescribable. It was truly an amazing way to start our Italian adventure!

- Room not very spacious - Missing a table / chair to put things down - A lack of space in the bathroom to put things down - Watercooker wasn't working - Information map was missing with number from reception, house keeping etc

This hotel is magnificent for those who want to wake up in the middle of the city. Beautiful views from the rooftop bar, great for a couple of drinks! Very well positioned in a busy area without noticing it to much. Friendly staff, helpful.

• Economy Double Room

We could not be more displeased. First, the website shows the rooms supposedly. However the "economy" room at 252EU was a piece of garbage. Motel 8 could easily outshine the room. Old furniture, and we do not mean antique, tiny room approx. 10x12, small TV that had one American crap station on it CNN, floors were scuffed, cheap curtains, LUMPY bed, bathroom had one ugly light over the sink and the toilet ran all night. The front desk staff said in a very snotty voice when I said this was not anywhere CLOSE to the rooms depicted on the website, "Madame, you BOOKED an economy room". We will give you a free breakfast which we declined. She said the hotel was totally booked so no other room available. Had we not hauled bags around, we would have left. Perhaps it was booked..however at 7:30 that evening, we have a picture of the American Bar off the lobby and we were the ONLY 2 in the bar. Horrid! Stay away, it is a total ripoff.

the wait staff and the roof top bar

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Wonderful, beautiful hotel in a perfect location. Very clean, comfortable room. Professional, helpful & very friendly staff. We didn't have breakfast so can't comment.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No room service (travelling companion unwell in bed). No coffee served on Terrace only cold drinks, although weather poor.

Beautiful hotel, large bedroom, professional staff, central location.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The rooms were a little small for the cost. In order to reserve a table on the rooftop bar you have to pay, which although understandable since there are limited tables could put some people off.. on my visit there was no need to reserve, but i guess at very high seasons it must get very busy up there!! Also since the price of the hotel rooms is also fairly high to pay for an additional breakfast I thought was too much. There was also some street noise, from some random people shouting in the streets and refuse collectors smashing bottles etc. but not a lot the hotel could do about this considering the location.

The hotel itself is in a great location, within easy walking distance of the cathedral and Ponte Vecchio and right in the heart of the city, close to many, many restaurants and bars. The staff were extremely professional and helpful. We arrived by car and it was taken to the associated car park and returned at precisely the time requested, which was great. The staff also explained the opening hours of each of the two bars, including the rooftop bar, which has super views of the city and also explained approx. cost of the drinks etc (not hiding that they are perhaps expensive!) They also tried to book restaurants for us, and did so quickly and without any bother at all. The rooms were nice and bright, pretty modern and very clean. I cannot comment on the breakfast as didn't try it. The view from the rooftop bar is of course fantastic, as were the people staffing the bar.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Even if we checked in after the check-in hours (because they asked us kindly to wait and maybe eat some lunch for one and a half hour), we waited that long but when I nicely asked for a late check-out because our flight takes off really late, they said to me in a not-nice way that they cannot do such thing in order to meet new accomodations. I strongly think that, that was unfair.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The 'Superior' room was tired with loose socket, loose sink tap and plastic bath which was about to crack (all reported on check out). The rooftop bar is underwhelming, decent, but not as good as it looks on the photos, and is grossly overpriced, with an extortionate option of reserving a table (don't do it). The Hotel and Booking . com's website show it to be a lavish property which failed to live up to my expectations and hopes. Was told on arrival I had been upgraded from a standard double to superior....makes me wonder what the standard room is like. Was told the steam room was out of action. Stayed in seven locations during the holiday, this was the least favourite.

Location was central and ideal to explore this beautiful City. The Hotel is a grand building and pleasing on the eye. Downstairs lobby area is lovely.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The roof top terrace was closed for residents all of Sunday, afternoon and evening due to a wedding reception, that was a real shame, we had booked this hotel as we loved the roof top terrace so much. But that is really the only negative point I can think of.

Excellent location, immaculately clean, calm bedroom, modern bathroom and amazing roof top terrace

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Phantastic location in the very centre of Florence Old Town. Beautiful Hotel with a phantastic rooftop terrasse. Walking distance to all the major sightseeing spots. Very friendly staff.

Car parking was managed well by the hotel and a local partner garage who collected and dropped off the car as needed however I was not made aware of the parking charges at the start of my trip and was presented with a hefty bill from the garage at check out!! This charge should have been confirmed by the hotel at the start of my stay.

Decor and ambience of rooms and hotel throughout was in keeping with the magic of Firenze. Great location, lovely breakfast, very friendly and helpful staff with fabulous cocktails served on the picturesque roof terrace. We enjoyed a wonderful and memorable weekend here!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Lovely room but noisy at night as it overlooked the street. However this may be unavoidable in central Florence. One of the receptionists had a rude, unfriendly manner but all the rest were good.

Lovely breakfast. Fantastic rooftop bar with amazing views although very pricey! Central location.

Room. Was poorly maintained. Big marks on walls and woodwork badly chipped. Didnt feel it was value for money, seemed like it traded on having a rooftop bar and good location, but unfortunately moneynot getti g spent on upkeep of rooms, or mine anyway.

Reception area. Breakfast room. Rooftop bar.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

It's a little hard and stressful to get to in a car - we've probably now got traffic fines due to it being mostly pedestrianised inside the walls, plus road closures and people won't get out the way when you're driving The rooftop bar is overpriced - 10 EUR for an aperol spritz! The bathroom in 302 needed some serious renovation included a new showerhead The shower leaked all over the floor because the water goes everywhere The valet service took a long time to bring the car

The room itself was lovely and luxurious It was in a convenient place to access all the traditional Florence sights The rooftop bar is a nice place to have a drink The staff are very helpful and friendly They have a valet service to park your car so you just park it outside the hotel

• Economy Double Room

Quite a lot of noise from the street at night but that is to be expected in Florence. Bring ear plugs! We paid to book the room terrace but there was no need. Very bad value for money. Brought us a bag of nibbles with our drinks and for a country that is so proud of it's food I have never had worse. Would be better off with a bowl of nuts/chips.

Location is excellent. We stayed in one of the economy room which was great value for money compared to other rooms in the hotel. If we were to believe some reviews from other people it sounded like we would be staying in a closet but the room was more than ample. Good size bathroom. Good air con and windows to the outside. Couldn't fault it.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Small issue with our bar tab being lost, and when we notified the check out team about this we had to wait for some time and then had to estimate how many drinks we had...

Loved the unique doors looking out over the alley way, great setting and the Rooftop Terrace was amazing. Lovely Hotel.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

A bit tricky if you drive to it unloading suitcases, but they do a car collection which is excellent

Excellent location, comfortable and enjoyable stay

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

Can't really think of anything to be honest.

Aamzing location - step out into the neart of Florence. Glamorous lobby and hotel. Very friendly and kind staff. Very cool rooftop bar. Single room was actually fairly spacious.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Selection at breakfast but it was the same thing offered every day! Overpriced on everything. The sun roof terrace was well photographed suggesting lots of space (simply not possible) We had to wait over 2 hrs before our room was ready I went to reserve the room and was conned by the statement in that I saved/reserved the room and was committed to having to give credit card details and then unable to cancel the reservation................never again with Booking.com!

The ceilings in the downstairs. The view from the roof terrace was as good. Our housekeeper tried to be obliging with care but was rushed off her feet and could never seem to do our room before 12 when people were checking out which I am sure would have then given her more time to do the rooms that had been vacated. All staff were polite.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

As a family we found nothing we did not like.

Staff were very helpful and friendly. The air conditioning in our room was noisy and so they upgraded us to a different room. The Manager made an effort and approached us to ask were we happy. Little extra touches include: water with added fresh fruit in the reception area, alongside apples for the guests. Staff were helpful and printed off confirmation of our airport transfer. Plenty of choice for breakfast.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room we stayed in was uncomfortably hot during our first night as the aircon was very weak, as a result we weren't able to sleep which spoiled our day off sight seeing the following day. We were moved to a different room on the second night and left Florence the following morning. The entry lobby is very nice but the rooms are outdated.

Browse Grand Hotel Cavour traveller photo gallery